A FLOOD INCIDENT. - One of the most
serious difficulties our pioneers had to encounter was crossing the river, and they met with many adventures.
All early settlers remember a horse my father brought from Vermont. As years passed he was known by many from Portage
to Belfast, as "Minard's old John." He was an honest horse, a very "knowledgeable" one He would
work on either side, and with almost any and everything, was never sick or lame, but would not plow a furrow after
the dinner horn sounded! He would swim the river at whatever stage it might be, and was ever ready to stem the
tide. Once on returning home my father found the river had risen rapidly. Selecting what he supposed the shallowest
place, he plunged in; but horse and rider at once "got into deep water," and became separated in the
current, the horse coming out on the side he went in on and the rider lodging against some driftwood below. The
horse had no notion of deserting his master and when he got a good footing, stopped and looked anxiously for his
rider, who was endeavoring to mount the pile of flood trash. What was to be done? Darkness was fast approaching
and not a human being within hearing. Father called, the horse whinnied in response, and seemed to comprehend the
situation and determined to rescue his master. Coming down the river to a point opposite, the horse attempted to
reach him, and the water not being so deep there succeeded. His master mounted him and was soon free from his perilous
position. "Old John" lived many years, was never sold and died at an old age.
BROOKS GORE OR DUTCH HILL was
last to be settled. The part lying in Hume, though needed to make the 6 miles square as the townships were usually
laid out, was not included in the survey of Township 6, Range 1, but was surveyed and described as part of Township
5, Range 1, by Alexander Rea, and called Section 5 of Township 5. This accounts for the seeming discrepancy in
some of the title deeds of Dutch Hill property, wherein lands are described as situated in Hume, and also as being
part of "Section 5. Township 5, Range 1, of the Holland Company's Surtey," which is Caneadea. I have
frequently been questioned in relation to this discrepancy, many thinking that there was something wrong about
Daniel Arnold was the first one on the Gore, "taking up" 60 acres of the Chas. Lapp farm soon after 1840
at about $1 per acre. He began a sawmill on a brook on this land but soon sold to Augustus F. Purdy now living
in Fillmore who completed the mill. Peter Horton and Daniel Clark settled about 1844 on the farm now owned by H.
W. Rice. One Eddy, Jonathan Covel and Joshua Straight were early settlers. Mr. Horton was probably the last one
in town to use the primitive drag. Henry C. Howden, Daniel Price, Jefferson Hurd, and Mr. Hall were early settlers
on Brooks Gore which comprised about 10,000 acres of the purchase of Gen. Micah Brooks. Settlements did not rapidly
progress here until about 1850, when Gen. Brooks induced some German immigrants to locate. They wrote letters to
Germany which induced others to come over and a considerable German colony was formed which gave the name Dutch
Hill. No part of the town has exhibited more rapid improvement in thrift and good husbandry than Dutch Hill. The
soil is good, and the Hill ranks in productive capacity fully equal to the older settled portions. Its stumps have
nearly all disappeared; the woodman's axe rings not now half so merrily as in times gone by. In a few short years
not even a log cabin will remain to remind the passerby of the pioneers' labors on this last settled section of
THE IRISH PIONEERS. - From 1838
to 1840 when the Genesee Valley canal was in progress, the Irish emigrants made their first appearance here. The
late Edmund Holland, one of the most prominent though not the first to settle, when a young man left his native
parish of Skull, county of Cork, Ireland, and landed at Quebec in 1836, went almost directly to Rochester, and
in 1840 married Catherine Hickey of the same parish in Ireland. They settled here about May 25, 1840, near where
W. B. McCrea lives. and made their permanent residence in Hume. Mr. Holland died in December, 1880. His widow survives
and kindly furnished me with much information relative to our Irish population. Edmund Holland probably assisted
more people to "come over to America" than any other man in this section. About 1847 a company of 7 landed
at Quebec, and he met them there. In this party were his aged father and mother, and I must say that "Uncle"
Michael Holland, his father, with staff in hand and pipe in mouth, erect carriage and sprightly motions, was the
most perfect impersonation of the "fine old Irish gintleman" that I ever met.
Patrick Hodnett came from Ireland in 1835 and to Hume in 1840, and commenced keeping house about where Herbert
Hammond now lives. Mrs. Hodnott says she has often gone after the cow off back of Mr. Short's with a baby in her
arms. The aged couple, after a life of hard work, are spending the evening of their days in Fillmore, having raised
a large family and acquired a competence. James Neilson must have come about that time. He also had a large family,
some are still living in this vicinity. Thos. Torpey, father of Dennis Torpey and Mrs. John Powers of Caneadea,
landed at Quebec in 1836 or 7, and came here from Caledonia in early canal times. He lived on Andrew Caldwell's
present place and later worked in a quarry opened there. Michael Kinney, now of Fillmore, must have been here before
1840. David Cary came in 1840 and lived here until his death several years ago. Mrs. Cary tells me Mr. Cooley built
the "log tavern," located north of the little brooklet at the base of the terrace on which is now the
"Holy Cross Cemetry." This was a rude inn but was widely known, especially along the line of the canal,
and was much frequented by neighboring workmen on the canal The last log of the old structure disappeared several
Tim O'Neal was a quaint Irishman who lived on the hill west of the canal on the Village Tract, and was noted for
his great love of the piscatorial art and his peculiar way of drawing out his words. He it was, who once when settling
with Dr. Lyman refused in toto to pay for one visit when an emetic was administered, declaring he would not pay
for anything he could not "keep on his stomick."
Pat Haley was another queer subject. It was he whom his excessive gallantry and politeness led to turn out and
give all the road to the Nourse girls, one day when he met them on the creek bridge just east of Fillmore. The
bridge was long and narrow, with only a log on each side for a railing. The girls "had the bridge" but
Pat drove right on, and turning out his old blind nag, over he went horse, wagon and all.
Many others might be mentioned who bore conspicuous part in the improvements of those days now long past.
EARLY ROADS. - The first road
up the river followed substantially the course of the old Indian trail, entering the town as now defined on the
flats of Judson Stockwell's farm, and running not far from the river bank to the line of the present river road
a little north of Mrs. Dudley's Willow Brook farm buildings, then following substantially the road as now traveled
to a point about opposite the residence of Dwight Gillett, where it turned east and followed closely the river
bank to a point near the Transit Line, then leaving the river it made westerly directly for the bluff east of Albert
Smith's residence. At the foot of this hill was a wonderful spring, whose water conducted into a large trough made
a way side watering place that is still remembered with pleasure. The road continued on as now unto the dwelling
of Augustus Hammond, there it passed down the hill and neared the river again, soon, however, leaving it and passing
in the rear of J. E. Franklin's house, striking the river again about where J. H. Howden's new residence is, then
passing nearly as now traveled through Fillmore and McCrea's to the road on the line between the farms of E. McCarthy
and Delos Benjamin. where it made a detour as it neared the great bend in the river, and following the almost private
road of today to the Nisdell place it struck the "gulf road," which from this point ran northerly to
Hume village. Thence over the gulf bridge, a high structure rudely built over a deep chasm, with only logs for
a railing, it struck the base of the "slide bank" and bank of the river, which it soon left striking
the route of the present river road near Geo. P. Leet's. The "gulf road" deserves more notice. The travel
up and down the river and to and from the north passed over it, though its mud holes never dried out; the stupendous
growth of timber and dark forest recesses close by made it a dreary uninviting place, while mysterious hints as
to strange happenings made it a place dreaded by many, and the belated traveler felt easier and breathed freer
after passing the lonely place.
A road struck east from the Cooley and Davidson places, and following the town line to the transit bore southerly
for a way, striking the line between the McWhorter place and Frank Gillett's, which it followed down to the river
road. Over this road, long since taken up, went our earliest settlers to the town meetings, elections, and "general
trainings," held on the flats when this was all Nunda, and Capt. Samuel Russell commanded a company.
People are living who made their way to Cold Creek down the ravine almost opposite Mrs. Kendall's place in Hume
village, and the first road from Hume village to the river, passed down the south side of Cold Creek, coming out
at, Whiting's, now McCrea's. It was a horrid road, mud, mud, mud, all the way, as were most of the roads.
In the town book we find queer descriptions of laying out new roads. One begins at "a pine stump within a
quarter or half a mile of the Red Tavern." Considering the many hundreds of stumps, each of which would fill
the "calf," this seems rather indefinite. The Holland Company at an early day appropriated considerable
money to open and improve roads. State roads were as a rule laid to connect one county seat with another, and money
appropriated to their improvement. The one from Angelica to Batavia passed through Hume village This was hailed
with delight by our people, as it placed them at last on amain thoroughfare.
About 1843-4 Levi and Timothy Rice and Samuel Bixby constructed a large sawmill ("Rice's Mill") on the
east side of the river nearly half a mile below Long Beard's Riff. Large quantities of logs were run down the river
and here made into lumber. Augustus Beardslee put in a shingle mill, the first operated in town, in 1846-7. Ten
or twelve years later high water took away the dam and the mill was never rebuilt.
During early canal navigation great quantities of butter and cheese were shipped from Fillmore (brought in from
as far as Arcade), loading for return with salt which was sold here in sufficient Quantity to supply a large territory.
Grain has been shipped by canal from Fillmore. This statement seems almost incredible in view of the large amount
of flour, feed and corn now brought in. This was before the great west became so thoroughly developed, and when
grain growing and cattle raising were our leading agricultural interests.
The introduction of the cheese factory system of dairying (the first factory in town being started at Fillmore
by John Barnes) quite rapidly brought about a revolution in agricultural circles. Today there are in the town 6
cheese factories, receiving the milk from 2,000 cows, and making dairying the leading industry of the town. Hume
stands today sixth in point of population among the towns of the county and probably there are fewer empty houses
in the town than in any other one in Allegany. The people are generally in fairly prospering circumstances, and
business is in a healthy condition. If the several business centres could be thrown into one the result would be
a large aggregation of commercial transactions and a very lively place, the largest probably in northern Allegany.
FLOODS were a serious detriment
to the pioneer. They swelled the rivers, tore away from the smaller streams the rude bridges, and often did much
destruction to property. The "great flood" of October, 1835, turned the Genesee river into a destructive
demon. The products of entire fields, corn, pumpkins, stacks of grain and hay, fences, buildings, horses, cattle,
sheep and hogs were swept away by the resistless waters, which spread over all of the lower flats of the river
in Hume and the land itself was in many places carried off. New channels were formed by the river and the beautiful
farm of Allen Nourse lying mostly in an "ox-bow" flat was cut in two in a very few hours. This was perhaps
the most disastrous river flood that ever visited the town.
The village of Hume, first and last, has had its visitations of fire and flood. Mills and dams and bridges have
been swept away by high water, and numerous buildings have been burned, but no extensive, devastating fire has
ever been experienced. But in the way of catastrophies and horrors, the palm is awarded to the remarkable flood
of June 9, 1892. (This is graphically described in the sketch of A. W. Henry on another page. - EDITOR.)
RELIGIOUS. - Missionaries from
Rushford and Caneadea held the first services of the town in the house of Roger Mills during the war of 1812. Elders
Ephraim Sanford and Kendall were early preachers. The Free Will Baptists formed a church and erected a house of
worship early near Flenagin's pond. Meetings ceased long before the house disappeared about 1860.
The First Baptist Church of Hume was organized Sept. 12, 1835. The original members were, Chester Hackett, James
Clark, H. Doud, Seth C. Williams, Milo Ives, Philo Castle, Sylvanus Doud, Darius Watkins, Mary Kemp, John Kemp,
Cynthia Clark, Nancy Doud, Jessie Hull, Mary Manchester, J. Bacon, Betsy Randall, Thyrza Williams, Abagail Drake,
Lydia Watkins and Obed Randall. In November a re-organization was effected in the schoolhouse at which Rev. A.
C. Sangster presided. Rev. James Reed and Rev. A. Minor from Rushford were present. In June, 1836, the church united
with the Genesee River Association, and in June, 1877, after the dissolution of this association, joined the Allegany
Association. In 1836 a small house of worship was erected, and used until 1850, when the present one was built
at a cost, including lot, of about $3,000. It was dedicated in October, 1850, Rev. James Reed preaching the dedicatory
sermon. A parsonage was purchased in 1869. In 1888 the church received a legacy of $800 from Mr. and Mrs. William
Balcom. The pastors have been Revs, Rufus Sabin, February, 1836; Mr. Robbins, March, 1838; O. Reed, May, 1840;
B. F. Burr, May, 1844; J. Trowbridge, August, 1847; James Olney, 1853; Wm. Tilley, 1856; Richard Hull, 1860; J.
Trowbridge, 1862; S. S. Dean, 1865; Mr. Merriman, 1869; F. W. Fry, 1871; T. T. Horton, 1876; F. Langmade, 1880;
M. S. Reed, 1887; W. E. Bogart, 1892; C. W. Robinson, 1894. During the last few years, students from the theological
seminary at Rochester, among them Dudley, Cann and Smith, have occasionally supplied the pulpit. Mr. Charles Stebbins
is superintendent of the Sabbath schooL The church has lately been thoroughly repaired and new sheds built. At
present it has no pastor.
Universalist Church. - Jan. 25, 1842. Rev. I. B. Sharp organized the First Universalist church of Hume. The erection
of a house of worship was soon commenced, but was not completed till 1861. It was built at a cost of about $3,000,
including the lot. The pastors who have served the church have been, Rev. I. B. Sharp, Rev. O. B. Clark, Rev. E.
M. Whitney, Rev. A. B. Raymond. The church as late as 1879 was reported in a flourishing condition and supporting
a Sunday school. Since then there has been no regular services, and the church if not dead entirely, is experiencing
a long continued season of "suspended animation," while the church edifice is crumbling with decay.
The First Wesleyan Methodist Church of Hume was organized in 1843 by Rev John Watson. The meetings for a year or
two were held in the old log schoolhouse in school district No. 8. Some of the early members were George Riley,
Sally Riley, Jonathan Covell, Harriet Covell, Jonathan Emery, Joel Cooper, Orra Cooper, Benjamin S. Snider. Priscilla
Snider, James Smith and Anna Smith. In 1845 the district having abandoned the schoolhouse the church removed it
to the site of their present church, and for some years worshiped therein. June 4, 1850, a subscription paper was
first circulated to raise funds to build a new church; on the 8th the foundation was commenced, and on the 25th
the work of hewing timber commenced. Work on the frame was begun July 8, 1850, and it was raised on the 18th. Joiner
work was commenced September 2d, and the building was finished for dedication Jan. 1, 1851, Rev. Dr. Luther Lee
preaching the sermon. George Riley, Joel Cooper and Jonathan Emery were then trustees. Meantime a lot had been
donated by the Wadsworth estate. The preachers have been, Revs. John Watson, 1843; J. Fields, 1845; Mr. Pierson
and Richard Ward in 1846; John Betchell and Z. T. Petty in 1847; F. R. Mastin and S. Phinney, 1848; Phinney and
P. Norris, 1849; Z. T. Petty and Alanson Bixby, 1850; S. D. Tronbly, 1851; John Watson, 1852-3; S. Phinney, 1854-5;
S. A. Leonard and G. W. Scudder, 1856; S. A. Leonard, 1857; E P. Barnes, 1858-9; and Revs. A. Bixby, G. M. Hardy,
William Pepper, John L. Bush, Howard C. Harris, John Randolph, William Willahan, W. J. Houghton, D. W. Ball, G.
W. Cooper, A. W. Hall, Prof. A. R. Dodd and A. L. Schuman. Church membership about 50. L. E. Wiles is superintendent
of the Sunday school which has about 60 scholars. During Rev. G. W. Cooper's pastorate the church was enlarged,
a steeple added and a bell purchased. It has recently been repaired and modernized, and is today a beautiful little
church. It was the pioneer church in Fillmore, and the first of its kind in this part of the county.
First Methodist Episcopal Church. - In 1841 a society of Congregationalists erected a church costing $1,200 at
Hume village. The late M. W. Skiff was one of its chief promoters. In 1872 the First Methodist Episcopal church
of Hume was organized with 13 members by Rev. J. F. Parker the first pastor, and soon after this society succeeded
the Congregationalists in the possession of the church property, the latter society becoming extinct. For a few
years the church was connected with the Wiscoy and Portageville charge, but, about 1890, with Wiscoy and the church
at Fillmore a new charge was created, and now the three churches have the same pastor. Since the organization of
the Hume church and its first pastorate, the pastors have been, Revs. W. H. McCartney, J. F. Brown, Wm. Wardell,
Mr. Burchard, Mr. Goodrich, J. O. Jarman, W. O. Peet, J. Harris C S Daley, R. Canfield, G. R. Harvey, S. S. Ballou
and S. Brusie. A Sunday school is conducted in connection with the church. Charles E. Ingham is its superintendent.
The Second M. E. Church (Wiscoy), was organized with 35 members, shortly before 1840, by Rev. Mr. Waller, and that
year a church was erected upon a lot donated by Ebenezer Mix which was dedicated in 1841. In 1870, the house was
remodeled and rededicated. It is the only house of worship in Wiscoy, and seats about 300. For over 20 years it
has been connected first with Portageville and Hume, later with Fillmore and Hume, services being conducted by
the same pastor. See preceding church for the pastors.
The Methodist Episcopal Church (Fillmore), was organized June 19, 1889, at the opera house, when these trustees
were elected: Wm. P. Brooks, John Caldwell, R. H. Chamberlain, Judson Howden, John H. Howden, Charles Ricker, L.
S. Geiser, Win. E. Pierson and P. P. Preston. The board organized by choosing Wm. E. Pierson president, Judson
Howden secretary; and R. H. Chamberlain, treasurer. Soon talk of building a house of worship commenced, and Nov.
18, 1889, John Caldwell, John H. Howden and Rev. G. R. Harvey were made a building committee. Dec. 12, 1889, a
subscription paper was started, and John H. Howden made treasurer of the building fund. Meantime, Roswell Minard
had made an offer of a building lot, when the subscriptions should reach $1,200. This amount was pledged early
in 1890, and the conveyance executed. September 1, 1890, the foundation was completed and work on the building
commenced soon after. The edifice was dedicated Jan. 27, 1891. Dev. Dr. D. W. C. Huntington preached the sermon,
and Presiding Elder L. A. Stevens read the dedicatory service. Revs. R. C. Brownlee of Warsaw, and J. L. King of
Centreville were present, the former taking part in the exercises, Mrs. F. W. Hark presiding at the organ. $1,410
was pledged to relieve all indebtedness. The pastors have been Revs. R. Canfield, G. R. Harvey, S. S. Ballou and
S. Brusie. The membership is about 40. A Sunday school of 60 scholars, H. T. Such superintendent, is connected
with the church, also an Epworth League.
St. Patrick's Church (Fillmore). - For more than 40 years previous to the building of St. Patrick's church in Fillmore
in 1881, worship was conducted and mass celebrated at private houses, notably at the residence of Edward Holland.
Priests from Java and afterward from Portage usually officiating. In the spring of 1881, having secured a proper
building lot, Michael Holland and Dennis Torpey let the contract for building a church 30x50 feet in size, to be
completed by October 20th. Sunday, Oct. 30, 1881, it was dedicated with imposing ceremonies. "After explanatory
remarks from Bishop Ryan, the ceremony began by the Rt. Rev. Bishop and the priests first blessing the outer walls,
then entering the church, chanting the dedicatory psalms, and blessing the inside." The pastor. Rev. John
McGrath, under whose administration the church was built, resided at Portage. Fathers Barlow of Belfast and Birkery
of Perry were also present. It was a great day for the Catholics of Fillmore. The interior of this church is beautifully
decorated. Fathers McGrath and Birkery each made a present of a beautiful stained glass window, one was placed
to the memory of Edward Holland and Jas. Quinn by their respective families, and the following named (with their
wives) each gave a window. Dennis Torpey Michael Holland, H. P. Nielan, Patrick Hodnett, Peter Bliestein. Rev.
F. Lawton also gave a window. The church and furniture is worth $3,000. The pastors have been, Rev. Fathers McEvoy,
Sheridan Dolan, Moore, Ryan, Dean, Purcell, Greig, Lothar., McGinnis, Cook, Donohue, McGrath, Lee, Nash, Barlow
and Haire. The Holy Cross Cemetery, a mile south of Fillmore, was laid out in 1890. It is connected with this church
and is a well kept burial ground.
THE "SOLDIER DEAD."
- "List read on Decoration Day." - William H. Wells, Co. F, 5th N. Y. Cav., enlisted Oct. 28, 1861; taken
prisoner Jan. 22, 1864; buried Andersonville. James Bradshaw, 6th N. Y. Cav., Oct. 22, 1861: died Falmouth, Va.,
Feb. 14, 1863. John Claus, Co. F, 5th N. Y. Cav., Sept. 19, 1861; killed 2d Bull Run. Aug. 30, 1862; buried on
battlefield. John Madison Hammond, Co. B, 44th N. Y., Aug. 20, 1861; killed Malvern Hill, Va., July 1, 186z. Horatio
A. Smith, Co. B, 44th N. Y., Aug. 2o, 1861; killed 2d Bull Run, Aug. 3o, 186z. Andrew Boardman, Co. B, 44th N.
Y., Aug. 20, 1861; burial place unknown. Miram Standish, Co. D, 64th Reg. N. Y., Oct. 5, 1862; died from wounds
June 3, 1863. Laselle Ellenwood, Co. F. moth N. Y., Nov., 1861; died in hospital at Rochester. David Young, 104th
N. Y., Oct. 9, 1861; died in hospital and buried near Washington, April 8, 1862. John Drew, Co. C, 104th N. Y.,
Dec. 31. 1861; killed Bull Run, Aug. 3o, 1862; buried on battlefield. Andrew Cooley, Co. C, 104th N. Y., Oct. 30.
1861; died from disease; buried Elmer cemetery. Henry L. Abbey, Co. C, 104th N. Y., Dec. 26, 1861; missing after
battle of Gettysburg; supposed killed. Delos Myers, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 9, 1862; discharged August,
1865; died Nov. 2, 1871; buried Alger cemetery. Thomas Pendergast, Co, F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 9, 1862; killed
Centerville, Va., Oct. 17, 1863; buried on field. William Whitney Merchant, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 8;
1862; discharged June 30, 1865; died 187o, at Merrillan, Wis. Oliver Barnard, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 9,
1862; killed Cold Harbor. Va., May 31, 1864; supposed buried on field. Alvah Hamlin, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons,
Aug. 10, 1862; died near Washington, Feb. 4, 1864; buried there. John Shoots, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 9,
1862; died near Hampton, Va., April 18, 1863; buried there. John M. Stickle, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, died and
buried Gordonsville, Va., July 4. 1864, of wounds received Trevllian, June 12, 1864. Alonzo Elmer, Co. F, N. Y.
Dragoons, Aug. 17, 1862; died May 14, 1865, from wounds received Point of Rocks; buried Pine Grove cemetery. Anson
H. Spencer, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 17, 1862; died Suffolk, Va., Jan. 5, 1863. Addison H. Caldwell, Co.
F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 9, 1862; died Suffolk, Va., Nov. 4, 1862; buried Pine Grove cemetery. John M. Skiff,
Co. E, 3d Iowa Inf., May 29, x861; killed Pittsburgh Landing, Tenn., April 6, 1862; buried on field. Stephen M.
Skiff, Co. A. 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 7, 1862; shot on picket near Franklin, Va., June 17, 1863; buried Suffolk,
Va. Warren Browne, Co. A, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Aug. 7, 1862; discharged June 18, 1865; died and buried St. Joseph,
Mo. Augustus A. Chase, Co. D, 4th N. Y. H. A., Dec. 28, 1863; died Salisbury prison, N. C. Chandler W. Warn, Co.
D, 4th N. Y. H. A., Aug. 13, 1862; drowned Potomac river, Sept. 6, 1862; body not recovered. Edwin Whitney, Co.
D, 4th N. Y. H. A., Aug. 13, 1862; discharged June, 1865; died Feb. 2, 1875, Wiscoy, buried there. Thomas Augustus
Davidson, 4th N. Y. H. A.; discharged June, 1865; died Wiscoy, Feb. 13, 1875, buried there. Frederick Gillett,
Co. D, 4th N. Y. H. A., Aug. 13, 1862; died and burred Alexandria, Va., February, 1863. Ichabod Perkins Flenagin,
lieut. Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A., Aug. 29, 1862; killed Ream's Station, Aug. 25, 1864; buried on field. Robert Lockwood,
Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A., Aug. 29, 1862; died Fort Ethan Allen, near Washington; buried Short Tract. Ansil L. Minard,
lieut. Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A., Aug. 29, 1862; discharged Sept. 26, 1865; died Sept. 1, 1870; buried Pine Grove
cemetery. Hiram Drew, Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A., Dec. 23, 1863; taken prisoner North Anna River; not heard from. Egbert
B. Pierson, Co. F. 4th N. Y. H. A., Aug. 29, 1862; died and buried City Point, Va., Sept. 20, 1864. Frank Henrietta,
24th N. Y. Cay., Dec. 18, 1863; died Pike, N. Y., 1879; buried Portageville. Isaac L. Morse, Co. F, 4th N. Y. H.
A., Dec. 23, 1863; died City Point, Va., July 11,1864. Edwin J. Petty, Co. F, 4th H. A., Dec. 23,1863; discharged
Sept. 26. 1865; died in Michigan. Daniel Finch, Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A., Dec. 19, 1863; died Willetts Point Hospital,
N. Y. Harbor. Byron Barrows, Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A., Dec. 17, 1863; died Rochester, N. Y., March 3, x882; buried
Pine Grove cemetery. Willis Beardsley, Co. D, 4th N. Y. H. A., Jan. 4, 1864; died Hume, Jan, 5, 1876; buried Pine
Grove cemetery. Darwin Barrows, Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A., Aug. 29, 1864; killed on picket, Petersburg, Va., Oct.
3, 1864. George E. Meach, Co. I, 6th N. Y. Cav., Nov. 9, 1861; discharged Aug. 16, 1865; died Meriden, Miss., March
21, 1873; buried Pine Grove cemetery. Theodore Washbon, Co. A, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, Jan. 1, 1864; died Caneadea
Feb. 23, 1873; buried Pine Grove cemetery. Gilbert A. Moultrop, Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A., August, 1862; killed Petersburg,
Va., June 18, 1864; buried on field. George Coolidge, Co. C, 104th N. Y., Aug. 11, 1864; died and buried Annapolis,
Md., May 18, 1865. Noah L. Myers, drafted August, 1863; died, when and place of burial unknown. Patrick McCall,
drafted August, 1863; taken prisoner 1863; died and buried soon after, Richmond, Va. Sylvester Wilday, Co. D, 130th
N. Y., Sept. 9, 1864; died and buried Baltimore, Md., May, 1865. Rudolph Fox, Co. F, 4th H. A., Jan., 1863; died
Salisbury prison, N. C., Dec. 1, 1864. James K. Kerns, 94th N. Y., enlisted 1862; killed 1863. Peter V. Granger,
lieut. Co. D, 3d Mich.; died Wiscoy, Oct. 13, 1867; buried there. John S. Trowbridge, Co. E, 5th N. Y. Cav., August,
1861; died Hanover, Pa, July 5, 1863; buried Pine Grove cemetery. Duane Robinson, 8th N. Y. Cav.; died Feb. 26,
/88o; buried Pine Grove cemetery. Frederick Willard, died October, 1864; buried Pine Grove cemetery. George M.
Poole, Co. F, 33d N. Y., July 4, 1861; re-enlisted January, 1864, 2d N. Y. Mounted Rifles; discharged Aug. 23,
1865; died Angelica, Jan. 1, 1881. Henry Hoadley, 104th N Y 1861; captured Aug. 18, 1864; confined Salisbury prison;
died on his way home. John C. Fish, Co. F, 4th H. A., Aug. 29, 1862; discharged June, 1865; died Wiscoy, May 26,
1883; buried there. James McDermott, 4th N. Y. H. A.; died Minnesota Nov. 19, 1867; buried there. Michael McDermott,
136th N. Y., September, 1862; died and buried Cottonwood, S. C., June, 1863. Silas W. Stone. Co. D, 4th N. Y. H.
A., May 13, 1862; death and burial North East, Pa. Ralph Parker, died April 28, 1865; buried Pine Grove cemetery.
Patrick Haley, Co. C, 104th N. Y., October, 1861; died 1880. John M. Butler, Co. D, 4th H. A.; died June 9, 1885;
buried Pine Grove cemetery. Manning Smith, Co. F, 4th N. Y. H. A.; died Aug, 9,1885; buried Wiscoy. Charles Lee,
Co. D, 4th H. A.; died Oct. 4,1884; buried Mt. Morris. Reuben Lee, Co. H. 1st N. Y. Dragoons, September, 1864;
died Jan. 16,1888; buried Pine Grove cemetery. Of Andrew Mearns, Orin Peck and Alonzo Camp, particulars not given.
LOCAL PRINTING. - In 1861 R. B.
Holtz set up a job press in Hume village and in May, 1861, started a newspaper, The Bee, which soon became The
Constitution. It soon suspended publication. In the seventies Rev. Mr. Morey (Baptist) issued a few numbers of
a paper from Mechanic's Hall. From 1876 Edson A. Hammond did small jobs of printing (envelopes, letter. heads,
etc.) with a little job press very neatly for about ten years. In February, 1880, H. C. Scott came to Hume and
printed the first number of the Hume Enterprise town meeting week. In March, 1882, the office was removed to Fillmore
into the old Whitbeck building Wm. P. Brooks "struck off" the first sheet printed here. In 1888 Judson
Howden bought the plant and changed the name to Northern Allegany Observer. Mr. Howden still continues its publication
in a handsome, well arranged office, using the latest "improved" presses run by steam. In 1885 Charles
Scott, son of H. C., established another Hume Enterprise with office in Mechanic's Hall, Hume village, which, with
one suspension of publication for a year or two, he conducted until Feb. 23, 1892, when he sold to the present
publisher, Edward W. O'Hara.
SUPERVISORS. - Joshua Skiff, 1822,
'24, '27; Luther Couch, 1825, '26; Orrin Doud, 1828, '30; Charles Mather, 1831, '32; Seth H. Pratt, 1833-37; James
D. McKeen, 1838; Elijah Partridge, 1839, '40; Oliver M. Russell, 1841; Hartley Weld, 1842-44; George Minard 1845-37;
Charles M. Mills, 1848-50; William W. Mills, 1851, '52; Alanson Skiff, 1853, '54; William N. Emerson, 1855, '56;
J. M. Hammond, 1857-60; H. W. Ingham, 186r, '62; Milton W. Skiff, 1863, '64; Hugh M. Severance, 1865; John S. Minard,
1866, '67; C. N. Flenagin, 1868, '69; Volney Mills. 1870, '71; Webster Mills, 1872-74; N. P. Baker, 1875-77; William
P. Brooks, 1876, '81, '82, '83, '84; James P. Manchester, 1878, '79, '8o; M. W. Wells, 1885, '86, '87; John H.
Howden, 1888, '89; J. W. Hildreth, 1890, '91; H. C. Brown, 1892; A. H. Lyman. 1893; Geo. D'Autremont, 1894, '95.
The town officers (1895) are. Geo. D'Autremont, supervisor; Charles E. Haines, town clerk; H H. Hammond, highway
commissioner; Geo. W. Jones, H. H. Hildreth, Frank Gillett, assessors; Jesse Bennett, Wm. E. Pierson, Geo. E. Ferguson,
C. C. Granger, justices; Geo. W. Boardman, overseer of the poor; James Lapp, Frank Somers, Fred Reynolds, Fred
Benjamin, Alfred Colburn, Burt Butler, inspectors of election.
FILLMORE. - Business Interests:
The leading firms and industries are, Wm. P. Brooks, general merchandise, a large double store in his three story
building corner of Main and Genesee streets, doing a large business. Haines Bros., general dealers. Eugene Ward
groceries and provisions, boots, shoes and staple dry goods. Frank W. Cole, drugs and medicines. Charles Ricker,
stoves, furnaces and general hardware, one of the largest in northern Allegany. Wm. Crandall, drugs and medicine.
Mr. Phipps, furniture and undertaking. Wm. Foote, carriages, wagons and sleighs. William H. Wilday, planing mill
and lumber yard, also feed mill. Young & Young, cheese box and barrel heading factory, which gives almost constant
employment to 10 men, turning out 50,000 cheese boxes and 1,000,000 pieces of salt and sugar barrel heading per
annum; also cheese factory and creamery, the creamery being the third one erected in the county. Max Lake, harness
maker, dealer in trunks, blankets, etc. Dennis Bagney, harness maker. The Prospect House conducted by S. S. Scott,
the Minard House kept by Thomas Duffy. and Penfield's Railroad House are the hotels. L E Wiles, dentist. S. A.
Farman, insurance, F. W. Hark, agent for granite and marble works. Judson Howden, publisher of Northern Allegany
Observer. Fillmore Opera House owned by a joint stock company. constructed about 1886, is well supplied with stage
scenery, furniture, etc., and is a commodious hall for lectures, entertainments, etc., with a seating capacity
of 800. Ed Hoey, meat market. Levi Snider, butcher and market. W. S. Mills, optician and jeweller. Carl Fritz,
tailor. James Sprowl, shoe maker and repairer. S. S. Hamilton, Fred Hammond, Mr. Brundage, Ed Huff and Mr. Dorman,
builders. R. Butterfield, mason. Mr. Kidney, Mr. Sanders, Mr. Harris, blacksmiths. J. S. Minard, surveyor and conveyancer.
W. E. Pierson, justice of the peace. Miss Ada Lowell, millinery and ladies' goods. Miss Cora Morse and Miss Penfield,
milliners. Mrs. Jackson, laundery.
The Fillmore school is a district school of two departments under the direction of three trustees. George W. d'Autremont
teaches the higher division and Miss Winifred Hoey conducts the primary department, and has. done so with very
good acceptance for the last five years.
There are three churches in Fillmore, Wesleyan Methodist, Methodist Episcopal and Catholic.
BANKING. - Before 1853 the nearest
banks were at Warsaw, Perry, Mt. Morris, Geneseo and Dansville. In 1853 Milton W. Skiff opened an account in New
York, bought and sold exchange and made collections. He did this until after the war when he was succeeded by Charles
J. Balcom, and upon his retiring, there was for a while no such business done at Hume village. In February, 1873,
J. M. Hammond & Co. (John M. Hammond, George W. Marvin and Jno. S. Minard) opened an exchange and collection
office which discounted some paper. The firm dissolved in 1875 and was. succeeded by J. P. Manchester & Co.
After a while they sold the mercantile business with which the exchange office was connected, and J. P. Manchester
opened a private bank which was conducted until 1885, perhaps later. Jno. S. Minard, in connection with his store,
opened an account with the National Park Bank of New York, in October, 1876, and sold exchange and made collections
until 1885, when he sold to Nathaniel M. Wells and E. Forrest Minard being the partners This firm (Wells &
Minard) was soon changed to Wells Bros., Henry Wells succeeding Mr. Minard. Jason S. Bishop about 1877 or '78 opened
an exchange office in Fillmore, and when he sold out to Wm. P. Brooks the exchange department was continued by
the latter, and after the firm of Brooks & Howden was formed until the organization of the State Bank.
THE STATE BANK OF FILLMORE was
organized Nov. 4, 1889, under state laws with a capital stock of $25,000. The first officers were: William P. Brooks,
president; Frank H. Smith, vice president; J. P. Manchester, cashier. The present officers are: William P. Brooks.
president; C. E. Ingham, vice president; C. J. Howden, cashier. We give this statement of the condition of the
bank, Oct. 1, 1895: Resources. - Loans and discounts, $102,396.25; U. S. bonds, $1,000; bank building, $2,000;
furniture, $1,000; cash on hand, 8.259.51; due from banks $11,757.34; total, $126,413.10. Liabilities. - Capital,
$25,000; surplus, $10,000; earnings, $2,737.06; deposits, $8,676.04; total, $126,413.10. The bank has a conveniently
arranged bank building erected in 1890. It is furnished with an exceptionally well constructed vault, and its safe
is one of the best in the county.
Oriona Lodge, No. 229, F. & A. M. - This lodge was instituted at Pike, Wyoming county, the date of its warrant
being June 23, 1851. In 1851 the lodge, then Pike Lodge, No. 229, was moved to Hume village. In 1871 the name was
changed to Oriona, No. 229 In 1891 the lodge moved to Fillmore. Present officers are; George E. Minard, W. M.;
Charles K. Farnsworth, SW.; John IL Howden, J. W.; Andrew Caldwell, treasurer; Max J. Lahr, secretary; William
Foote, S. D.; A. D. Relya, J. D.; Fred B. Reynolds, S. M. C.; Joseph W. Stockwell, J. M. C.; Edward W. Huff, tiler;
Frank A Purdy, organist; C. K. Farnsworth, F. B. Reynolds, Jos. W. Stockwell; trustees; H. C, Browne, Wm. Foote,
C. K. Farnsworth, finance committee. Past Masters; Orson Beardsley, Augustus Goodrich, H. H. Lyman, H. C. Browne,
E. A. Hammond, O. Randall, William Foote, Charles Ricker. There are 62 members. The lodge occupies fine rooms in
the third story of Brooks' Block.
Ancient Order United Workmen, Lodge No. 242, was organized in the schoolhouse at Fillmore in June, 1879, and soon
removed to Hume village, holding meetings in Mechanics' Hall until January, 1896. The lodge now occupies rooms
in the Brooks' block, Fillmore, with the K. O. T. M. There were 30 original members and it has the same number
now. The officers are: Frederick Lapp, M.; Nelson A. Pettee, O.; Peter Dunker, F.; Charles K. Farnsworth, R. K.;
and William Foote, F.
Fillmore Tent, No. 50, K. O. T. M., was organized in July, 1887. The charter members were; Charles K. Farnsworth,
Charles E. Haines, William Handyside. M. J. Lahr, E. R. Curtis, J. O. Waldorf. J. H. Farnsworth, Irwin Bottsford
and Leroy Huff. Membership 150, being, with possibly one exception, the largest in the county. Reviews are semi
monthly in their finely fitted up rooms in Brooks' Block. Present officers; G. S. Rice, Com.; A. McMurtry, L. Com.;
F. E. McMurtry, R. K.; John H. Howden, F. K.; W. G. Young, prelate; John Bauer, physician; J. W. Curtis, sergeant;
John H. Johnson, M. at A.; Frank Wilday, 1st M. of G.; Fred Mitchell, 2d M. of G.; Carl Fritz, sentinel; John McElroy,
Fillmore Hive, L. O. T. M, No. 140, was instituted March 21, 1894, by Deputy Lady Commander, Carrie L. McDonald.
There were 19 charter members, and these officers were installed: Josie M. Curtis, P. Is Com; Cora L. Ricker, L.
Com.; Edith J. Waldorf, Lt. L. Com.; Mary E Crowley, R. K.; Anna M. Hammond, F. K.; Emma Howden, prelate; Addie
E. Lahr, sergeant; Emma M. Scott, M. at A.; Mary A. Fitzgerald, sentinel; Maria A. Hodnett, picket. The membership
is now 33 and the present officers are: Cora L. Ricker, P. Is Com.; Edith J. Waldorf, L. Com.; Mary E. Rice, Lt.
L. Com.; Mary E. Crowley, R. K.; Anna M. Hammond, F. K.; Didama Wallace, prelate; Josephine Lyman, sergeant; Josie
M. Curtis, M. at A.; Addie E. Lahr, sentinel; Esther M. Merwin, picket; Edith O. Greene, organist Meetings are
hold in the K. O. T. M. rooms in Brooks Bloc.
Fillmore Sick and Accident Association was organized in October, 1894, and has paid out for sickness and accidents
$275, with about $70 in claims yet pending. There is a good balance in the treasury and the association is prospering.
Present officers are: G. S. Rice, president; J. O. Waldorf, vice president; F. J. Mitchell, secretary; John H.
Howden, treasurer. The board of auditors are; Dr. F. J. Redmond, A. E. McMurtry, John H. Johnson, John Bauer, and
M. D. Wilday.
A lodge of Good Templars has recently been organized.
WISCOY SOCIETIES. - Burnside Post,
No. 287, G. A. R, Wiscoy, N. Y. - The charter members of this Post, Nov. 4, 1881, were: H. C. Browne, Com.; W.
G. Whitney, S. V. C.; George W. Jones, J. V. C.; J. W. Bardwell, Q. M.; W. W. Thurston, Surg.; L. O. Hackett, Chap.;
George Trail, O. D.; Jared A. Gorton, O. G.; C. D. Vandresser, Adj't; Fred Caryl, S. M.; Charles W. Isted, Q. M.
S.; and P. R. Karns, J. W. Hildreth, A. F. Bowen, O. R. Hilldreth, R. Butterfield, Sheldon Trail, William Cluchey,
Judson Stickle, Hiram Clark, H. P. Neilan, Orrin Peck. George W. Curtis, Julian Caryl. The present officers are;
F. J. Davidson, Corn.; S. M. Johnson, S. V. C.; Hiram. Clark, J. V. C.; A. J. Oakley, Q. M.; R C. Soule, Surg.;
N. A. Pettee, Chap.; C. C. Granger, Adj't; Lewis Dill, O. D.; Smith Dole, O. G.; J. W. Hildreth, S. M.; L. O. Hackett,
Q. M. S. Meetings are held semi monthly at G. A. It. rooms at Wiscoy. There are 32 members.
Protection Tent, No. 208, K. O. T. M. (Wiscoy). This tent was organized with the following officers. Its charter
is dated March 31, 1893: S. M Johnson, P. Com.; Frank Somers, Com.,; Lawrence Smith, Lt. Com.; J. W. Stockwell,
R. K.; Charles Mack, F. K.; D. C. Granger, Chap.; P. C. Soule, Phys.; F. Shanahan, sergeant; George Perry, M. at.
A.; M. Doud, 1st M. of G.; D. M. Caryl. 2d M. of G.; Fred Pratt, sentinel; F. J. Smith, picket. The present officers
are: Frank Somers, P. Com.,; Lawrence Smith, Com.; J. A. Stockwell, Lt. Com.; F. Reynolds, R. K. and F. K.; Eugene
Caryl, Chap.; CM. Stewart, Phys.; C. D. Cooley, sergeant; A. M. Doud, M. at A.; John Smith, 1st M. of G.; L. Caryl,
2d M. of G.; P. Lenahan, sentinel; Clarence Robinson, picket. Membership of 30.
PINE GROVE CEMETERY, one mile
east of Fillmore, was opened in 1860. The first meeting held for considering the matter was Jan. 13, 1860. This
meeting adjourned to the 19th, when the Pine Grove Cemetery Association of Fillmore was organized in accordance
with the provisions of the statutes. The "associates" who took part in the meeting were; Lovett S. Albee,*
George W. Wiles,* Benjamin S. Snider, Thomas Hall,* John Rowley,* Jno. S. Minard, Theodore F. Hall,* Dozell B.
Curtis, Harvey M. Howden, James C. Smith, and Henry Meach. The first board of trustees were Theodore F. Hall, Milton
W. Skiff, George W. Wiles, John M. Hammond, James C. Smith and Jno. S. Minard. Theodore F. Hall was made president,
George W. Wiles vice president, James C. Smith treasurer, and Jno. S. Minard secretary. The present trustees are
Benj. K. Gillett, L. E. Wiles, C. K. Farnsworth, Geo. E. Minard, H. M. Howden, and R. H. Chamberlain; William B.
Gillett is sexton. The present officers are: H. M. Howden, president; L. E. Wiles, vice president; B. K. Gillett,
secretary and treasurer. The amount of ground enclosed is about five acres. The first interment was that of Mrs.
Joseph Curtis; the second (a re-interment) a little daughter of George W. Wiles. The original grounds were laid
out by Jno S Minard, and the addition by C. B. Ryder. The management has been one of marked success. A vault has
been constructed in the bank near the public highway, the grounds have been greatly improved and beautified by
planting ornamental trees and shrubs and the cultivation of flowers, some fine specimens of artistic granite and
marble work have been set up, and people from considerable distances are purchasing lots. The association has a
reserve fund of nearly $1,000; so people can depend upon the grounds being kept in proper order. It is a great
credit to the management, an ornament to the town, and speaks well for the good sense and taste of our people.
[Return to History of Hume, NY Part 1.]