SOMETHING ABOUT SOME OF THE PEOPLE.
Charles H. Austin, son of William H. Austin, was born in New Scotland, Albany
county. He in 1867 came with his father to this county. In 1875 he commenced to make cheese in which he has had
success. He has conducted the factory at Spring Mills for many years. He married Clara J. Stillman, and has children,
Herman and Luella. Mrs. Austin is a daughter of Ephraim D. and granddaughter of Nathan Stillman, who was son of
Nathan, and born in Rhode Island in 1790, came in 1796 to Brookfield, Madison Co., N. Y., with his parents. He
married Thankful Kenyon, and settled in Alfred very early. About 1820 he came to this town settling on the place
now owned by E. D. Potter, which he developed from its forest state into a fruitful farm. He had 4 children, Hannah
(Mrs. D. A. Tooker), Henry, Ephraim D., Sarah (Mrs. Wm. Bosard). Ephraim D. Stillman was born Dec. 19, 1821, in
Independence and is a farmer. Nov. 22, 1847, he married Lorany Wood, daughter of Peleg, and made his home in town.
His wife died Sept. 13. 1890. Children, Livonia D. (Mrs. J. B. Holcomb), Alpheus G., Clara J. (Mrs. Charles H.
Austin), Owen R.
Dr. Anthony Barney was born Feb. 18, 1801, in North Swansea, Mass., a descendant of Jacob Barney, the English emigrant,
who landed at Salem, Mass., May 14, 1634, whose son Daniel married Rachel Bowen in 1757. Jonathan, the second of
their 8 children, married Elizabeth Mason. Dr. Anthony Barney was the loth child and 6th son of their 11 children.
Jonathan was a ship builder, was also a strong Federalist and sold a large ship receiving Continental currency
in payment which soon became worthless. About 1806 he settled in Newport, Herkimer county, and died about 1813.
leaving his large family in poor circumstances, and Anthony early learned to work. When about 15 his attention
was called to medicine by a wonderful cure effected on himself by the famous Dr. White of Cherry Valley and he
worked, saved, studied, taught school, all to acquire medical knowledge. He attended Willoughby College at Fairfield,
and was aided by his brother Mason Barney to finish his medical education and received his degree March 1, 1825.
and March 22, 1825, located at Independence. Nov. 18, 1825, he married Roxy, daughter of Charles Chapin. She died
Jan. 23, 1838, leaving 4 sons and 3 daughters. June 3o, 1838, he married Henrietta Horton. They had six children.
He was in an extended and active medical practice for 5o years, dying in West Union Aug. 12, 1886, of apoplexy,
aged 85 years, 5 months, 20 days. He was very prominent in affairs, brigade surgeon of militia, and in the Civil
War was offered the same position in the Union Army. He held various offices with ability, was a strong Republican,
a Royal Arch Mason and an Universalist and contributed the site of the church of that society in Whitesville. He
was liberal in his charities and public spirited and generous to all worthy objects of public or private concern.
His ride extended from Alfred south to the state line and from Scio to Greenwood and Jasper, and at his death a
leading figure of the county passed away. Among his sons are Hon. Alvin C. Barney of West Union, who was born in
1833, moved to his present home, (where he married Mary, daughter of David and Minerva (Horton) Sherman) in 1857.
He has been prominent in town and in Steuben county, serving as member of assembly and in other responsible places
of trust. Dr. H. A. Barney of Belmont is his son.
Jonathan O. Barney. son of Dr. Anthony and Henrietta Horton Barney, after attending Alfred University, married
Nov. 28, 1872, Lenora L., daughter of Daniel and Angeline (Briggs) Dexter, and settled where he now lives. Children:
Benjamin A., now attending Medical College in New York City, Pauline T., at Geneseo College, Angie M., at Andover
Academy. Mrs. Barney died Nov. 1, 1880, and Mr. Barney married for his second wife, Lillie E., daughter of Henry
and Susan (Coon) Clarke. Children: Edith S., Bertha A., Harold C. Mr. Barney is a farmer and has held numerous
John C. Bassett, a native of Brattleboro, Vt., in 1827 moved to Independence, and settled in the east part of the
town on a farm where there was a small clearing made and a log house built. He married Martha St. John. 12 of their
14 children attained maturity. He was a cloth dresser. He died in 1859. John C. Bassett, Jr., was born in Brattleboro,
Vt., Jan. 26, 1826. In 1850 he married Elizabeth Reading and has 4 children. He has held the office of assessor
6 years, and been collector several years.
Michael Bloss came to town very early, settled on a lot of wild land where he built a log house and cleared up
the farm now owned by William Forsyth and died. Jacob Bloss, one of his children, came here with his father. He
married Sophronia, daughter of Ebenezer Parker, and was a lifelong and upright citizen of the town. His wife died
in 1876, and he in 1884. Of their to children, two live in town, Hiram and Elisha W. (born July 12, 1835. married
Lucinda, daughter of Edmund and Mary Spicer Brown. He settled in town in 1869, was assessor three years). He had
four children of whom one, Charles S., is living.
William Briggs, son of Garner, born in Rhode Island, was a soldier in the War of 1812, in 1822 came to this town
and settled on the farm now owned by his son Jesse G., on lot 107, taking up 100 acres of wild land where he built
a log house, cleared up a farm and developed a good home. He married Eunice Vaughn, had 4 children, of whom Jesse
G, is the sole survivor, and died in 1866. Jesse G. Briggs was born March 17, 1828. In 1851 he married Mellisa
Saxton, daughter of Israel, and settled on the old farm. They have two children Erwin, (married Myrtie Brown; daughter
of Charles E. and Betsey A. Culver Brown), and Wallace.
David S. Briggs, son of Job, was born in Dutchess county Feb. 24, 1794, and married Fanny Taylor of Madison county.
June 14, /M. They came to Independence in March, 1823, and took up land in the south part where they developed
a good farm from the wilderness. Mr. Briggs died Sept. 28, 1861, and Mrs. Briggs in 1874. Their children were:
Betsey A. (Mrs. Robert McCurdy), dec., Isaac H., dec., Irene A. (Mrs. H. J. Stone), Elisha T., dec., and Ransom
L. The latter was born March 9, 1840, married, May 14, 1865, Fannie M., daughter of James Martin, and succeeded
to the homestead where he is an active farmer. Their children are: Edith M. (Mrs. John Wood) and Fred M., who died
Nov. 8, 1881
Jay J. Brown, son of Charles E. and Betsey A. Culver Brown, was born Feb. 25, 1867. From 1887 to 1889 he was engaged
in fanning in Almond, N. Y., then came to Independence, N. Y., where he and his father conducted merchandising.
In 1893 he purchased his father's interest and is now in trade. He was commissioned postmaster in t894. He is a
grandson of Edmund and Mary Spicer Brown and Thomas and Silence Culver. They were early settlers of the town of
Hon. Morris S. Chase, son of Rev. John B. Chase, a Baptist minister, was born in Yates county, in 1822 and came
to Independence in 1837 with his father. In 1842, when he married Mianda, daughter of Ezra and Sally (Nash) Winship,
his capital was $50. He then studied law with Hon. A. G. Chatfield of Addison and was admitted to the bar but soon
engaged in merchandising, which he has successfully continued to the present, and is now in company with his son,
Amos L., in an extensive mercantile, loan and collection business. He has been four times supervisor, once member
of assembly, several years loan commissioner, and has had much practice in surrogate's courts. He largely aided
in establishing the graded union school in Whitesville, has been president of the board of education for r5 years,
and is a director and auditor of the O. O. & E. railroad, and was largely instrumental in building the road.
Mrs. Chase died March 5, 1887. Their surviving children are: Lydia A. (Mrs. W. W. Crandall), Isabel M. (Mrs. B.
B. Slade), Theron M., Amos L.
Peleg Clark, son of John and Jemima Clark, was born in Petersburgh, Rens. county, in 1798. In 1822 settled on the
Wm. Forsyth farm in this town, locating 200 acres. He made improvements, etc., but in 1829 he returned to Rensselaer
county. Nine years later he returned and lived the rest of his life here. He married Roxalana Parker in 1824. Children:
John H. and Jemima, died Aug. 29, 1853. Mr. Clark died March 22, 1892, his wife Nov. 23, 1890. John H. Clark is
a physician. [See Medical Chapter.]
Decatur M. Clarke, son of Samuel, was born in 1816 and came when a mere lad with his parents to Independence, where
he resided till his death in 1889. In 1841 he married Maria, daughter of Isaiah W. Green (who died in 1843), and
for ten years conducted merchandising at Independence with Mr. Green. Selling his store he followed farming and
stock breeding until 1870 when he built a cheese factory and conducted it until his death. He was a man well known,
supervisor, postmaster, etc. Orville G. Clarke, son of Decatur, born July 20, 1843, enlisted in 1862 in Co. E,
130th New York Vols., and served until discharged in July, 1865. In 187o he married Alice M., daughter of Johnson
and Caroline (Stout) Briggs, and has since resided at Independence. Children: George M., Carrie M., Floyd C. He
is a member of Sawyer Post, G. A. R., No. 333.
Hon. William Cobb, son of Daniel and Lucy (Stevens) Cobb, born April 2, 1815, in Vermont, came when eighteen to
Spring Mills, married Nov., 1838, Eliza, daughter of William Churchill. Children Emma, Angie, Theodore and William.
Mr. Cobb was elected assemblyman in 1847 and in 1859, was seven times chosen supervisor, was an early and prominent
Republican, one of Allegany's leading and wealthiest business men, and a man of honor and integrity. He died Feb.
19, 1893. Mrs. Cobb died Nov. 9, 1895. Theodore Cobb, son of William, Sr., born Feb. 8, 1843, attended Spring Mills
academy, married July 13, 1864, Margaret P., daughter of Wm. M. and Parmelia (Cooledge) Metzger, and settled at
Spring Mills. Children William H., Howard, Ahrling, Churchill F., Mary A., and Claire (dec.). Mr. Cobb has been
supervisor several years, has extensive business relations and stands high in community. William Cobb, son of William.
born Aug. 23, 1847, graduated in 1869 from Mansfield, Pa., Normal School, in 1870 married Delia, daughter of Willett
and Jemima (Pratt) Lawrence, succeeded to the homestead farm where he resides, has been supervisor several terms,
and held satisfactorily other offices of trust. Children: Fordyce A., Emma E., Lera L., Camilla A., Herbert L.
Daniel Collins was born in Rhode Island. He came to this town very early and worked for Franklin Forsyth by the
month. He married Rebecca, daughter of Peleg Wood, and in a few years moved to Willing where he died. Daniel W.
Collins was born Feb. 22, 1848. In 1833 he married Esther J., daughter of John Riley of Willing. Children: Ella
F., Mary G., Leroy D. and Rita E.
Nathan C. Cowen, son of William, son of John, was born in Candor, N. Y., June 29, 1842. In April, 1861, he enlisted
in Co. K, 26th New York from Candor. He was in numerous bloody engagements, first and second Bull Run, Cedar Mountain,
Chantilly, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville among them. Discharged May 28, 1863, he
re-enlisted in Co. Y, 123d N. Y., and joined in Sherman's " march to the sea." Mustered out May 11, 1865,
he returned to Carrollton, Cattaraugus Co., and in 1887 moved to Whitesville, his present residence. He is member
of Sawyer Post, No. 333, G. A. R. He married Phebe Dennis, daughter of Jacob, son of Aaron. Children: Eva B. and
Silas S. Crandall, son of Stennett, was born in March, 1793, in Rhode Island, and married Nov. 6, 1814, Polly Freeborn
at Cazenovia, N. Y. Eleven of their fourteen children attained maturity. Mr. Crandall settled at Spring Mills in
1825. He took up wild land, built a log house and made a home. In 1835 he moved to Whitesville, and with his brother
Joel built a woolen factory. Some years later he bought his brother's interest and had his brother Barney with
him for a few years after which he conducted it alone until 1848 when he erected a new factory building and formed
a partnership with W. C. Reynolds, and retired in 1854. He died in 1870. He was an active Baptist and much respected
and prominent in town affairs, being supervisor and justice of the peace for years. Jairus A. Crandall, son of
Silas S., born May 2, 1827, married Arethusa Brown, daughter of Solomon, in 1850, and located at Whitesville as
a carpenter. He also was a school teacher and taught singing schools. For some years he was a merchant, now conducts
insurance business. His second wife was Martha A. Carpenter. Wilford W. Crandall, son of Silas S., was born in
Independence June 3, 1833. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. F, 4th Iowa Regt, as a private. For 12 1/2 months he was
a prisoner at Andersonville; once made his escape, but was recaptured three weeks later. He was mustered out May
20, 1865, as sergeant. In 1868 he married Lydia A., daughter of M. S. Chase, and for twelve years he has lived
in Whitesville, engaged in manufacturing proprietary medicines. He has an adopted son, Wilford B.
Aaron Crittenden, a native of Vermont, early carried on wagon making in York and Bethel, N. Y. He married Caroline
Lempert of Yates Co., and in 1848 settled at Hallsport for 6 years, when he removed to this town living on the
farm now owned by his son James L., where he died. His second wife was Martha Wheeler of Yates Co He had 4 children
by first wife, and 3 by second. James L. Crittenden, son of Aaron, was born Feb. 16, 1836. He married March 5,
1860, Melissa, daughter of John Cline, and resided on the old homestead. In 1862 he enlisted in Co E, 130th New
York, was promoted to corporal, sergeant and second lieutenant, and wounded August 29, 1864, at Smithfield, Va.,
and was discharged Dec. 5th. Since then he has been a farmer here, has been for 6 years assessor, justice of the
peace and justice of the sessions, and is a director of Allegany County Farmers Co-operative Insurance Co. Children:
May, Aaron G., John C., Clarence L., Charles E., James A., Robert C. and Martha R.
LaBert Davie, son of Chester and Lydia Davie, was born at Bolivar Feb. 28, 1867. He. was educated at Bolivar Academy,
and in 1882 entered the printing business. May 13, 1891, he married Hattie J. Ortz, and removed to Buffalo in 1892.
He came to Whitesville and with Mr. Fortner started the Whitesville News, April 3, 1895.
George Forsyth, son of Franklin, was born in Herkimer county, and came with his father in 1834 to Independence,
and except for two years always lived in town. He married Susan Blackman, was a farmer and died Jan. II, 1891.
Children, Franklin A. and Guy C. The latter was born Aug. 19, 1860. In 1882 he married Chloe A. daughter of Wellman
and Nancy Richmond Wilson and located in town as a farmer. In company with W. A. Teater he deals extensively in
hay, grain, potatoes, etc. He has one son George. Guy C. Forsyth, son of William, born in Massachusetts, came from
Herkimer, N. Y., to this town about 1832, took up 100 acres of wild land where be made his home, and developed
the farm now owned by Chester J. Forsyth and Oscar A. Potter, and died Sept. 28, 1871. He was a prominent man in
affairs, active in the Universalist church and was known to all as "Uncle Guy." He married Nancy, daughter
of Charles Chapin. Children, Henry (dec ) Daniel C., Laverna D. (Mrs. John La More), Maria N. (Mrs. J. D. Jacobs).
Henry Forsyth married Caroline, daughter of Christopher and Wilhelmine H. Heinemann. was a carpenter by trade,
and occupied the old homestead Children, Cora T. (Mrs. G. W. Alvord), Louise W. (Mrs. O. A. Potter), Mary H. and
Oscar A. Potter, son of Joseph C. and Susan (LaForge) Potter, was born May 8, 1864, in Andover. In 1883 he married
Louise W. Forsyth and lived in Andover until 1889 when he moved to this town. He is road commissioner. They have
one child Linford.
Asaph Goodridge born in Fitchburg, MassĄ Dec. 8, 1774, married Margaret, daughter of John Teater (who was one of
the town's first settlers) on Jan. 19, 1806. He was in the war of 1812, and came from Canisteo to Independence
in April, 1821, and took up the tract of land now the farm of Luther Goodndge. Occupying the first winter a log
house on another lot, he built one on his own land, and made it his home. He was a hard working and respected citizen,
built an ashery, made pearlash and also the first brick made in the town. His wife died Nov. 3, 1850, and he Sept.
12, 1854. Children, Hannah, John, Sewall, married Miss Betsy Perry, Samuel (died Jan. 27, 1822, the first death
in town), Levi S., James B., married Miss Amanda Thorp, Luther, Samuel W., married Miss Martha Seeley, Peter T.,
Harriet R. (Mrs. John Longwell), Nancy M. (Mrs. Seth A Spicer).
Rev. Jared Kenyon was born in Petersburgh, N. Y., March 3o, 1819, and was the son of Potter and Martha Armsbury
Kenyon. He united with the Seventh Day Baptist church of Petersburgh before he was 12 years old. The winter preceding
his twentieth birthday, while attending school, he preached one evening, and when 23 years of age he was licensed
to preach. He married Clarissa Brown April 11, 1839, who, to quote his words, " was my guiding star and strong
supporter in my ministry." At the age of z6, his health failing, he came to Alfred Centre. and attended school
and with his wife's help and working vacations he was able to support his family. Before leaving school the second
Alfred church called him to their pastorate in which he continued 6 years. During this time he taught school 5
months, and for 4 years he was the town superintendent of the common schools. He then came to Independence and
for 25 years was pastor of a church here. October 16, 1882, Mrs. Kenyon " was called to go up higher."
Rev. Mr. Kenyon has lived a long life of usefulness. He has attended over 1,200 funerals, and has had " the
privilege of presenting Christ and heaven to a large number of people."
Walter Leonard was born of New England parents in Smyrna, Chenango Co., N. Y., March 4, 1828, and when 8 years
old moved with his parents to Westfield, Tioga Co., Pa. He was educated in the common schools and what was then
Alfred Academy, and for a number of years was engaged in teaching district schools of the vicinity. He married
Dec. 25, 1853, Dorcas M. Churchill, and settled in what is now Elmer, Potter Co., Pa. For 25 years he was engaged
in general merchandise and produce trade. He represented his town on the board of supervisors in 1868, 1869, 1878,
1879. His children are Fred C. Leonard of Coudersport, Pa., member of congress from his district, Luman W. Leonard
of the Empire Novelty Company, Wellsville, and Myra E. Leonard, kindergarten teacher. His wife died April 5, 1889,
and he married second, Mrs. Elizabeth Montanye, Feb. 18, 1891. In March, 1895, Mr. Leonard moved to the village
of Spring Mills.
John P. Livermore, son of Samuel, was barn in Wilmington, Vt., in 1798. He came to Green's Corners from Madison
Co., in 1821; in 1822 was appointed justice of the peace and held the office 28 years. He was supervisor in 1830,
1832, 1833, was assessor and served in the War of 1812. He married Annis Green, who died Feb. 25, 1879, and he
July 17, 1889. He was an upright man and good citizen. He had three adopted children, Edmund D. Potter, and two
daughters. Edmund D. Potter, son of William and Sally (Livermore) Potter, was born Feb. 12, 1833, in Brookfield,
Madison Co. In 1842 his uncle adopted him, and he has since lived at Green's Corners. He is a farmer and blacksmith,
and has been justice of the peace 8 years. He married in 1859 Antoinnette Enos, daughter of Henry of Nile. Children.
Edmund H., Henry C., William J., Sarah A. (Mrs. Omer Barney). Mrs. Potter died Dec. 27, 1892. Edmund Livermore,
son of Samuel, born in 1806, came with his father to Independence, married in 1826 a daughter of Patten Fitch,
and lived many years on the farm now. owned by Wm. R. Crandall. He, now lives in Alfred. Three children, P, P.
of Los Angeles, Cal Mrs. Albert Hazelton, and Rev. L. E. Livermore, of Plainfield, N. J.
Jackson O'Dell, son of Jackson and Mary (King) O'Dell, was born in Paris, France, March 27, 1840, and came to New
Jersey with his parents in 1841. In 1857 he enlisted in Co. K, 4th U. S. Heavy Artillery for five years, was discharged
in 1862, and soon enlisted in Co. A, 4th Minn. Cavalry, served three years, and in 1865 enlisted in Co. G, 151st
Ind. Infantry, and was discharged June 19, 1865, for disability. He served in many important battles, Nashville,
Murfreesboro, Tallahoma, Knoxville, Chattanooga among them, and in several engagements with Indians. His father,
mother, three sisters and two brothers were massacred August 18, 1862, at New Ulm, Brown Co., Minn., by the Indians.
In 1865 he came to Andover where he married Mary J., daughter of Urial Williams. In 1855 he moved to this town
where he now lives. He has 4 children, and is a member of Sawyer Post, G. A. R.
Ebenezer Parker, son of Ebenezer Parker, was born in Vermont, and came from Yates Co to Independence in 1824 and
took up 50 acres on the farm where Silas Seeley lives, built a log house and made a home. He married Joanna Hall
and has numerous descendants. Mrs. Parker died in 1850 and he in 1861. Luther H. Parker, one of the 11 children
of Ebenezer and Joanna (Hall) Parker, was born Nov. 8, 182o. He married Fidelia, daughter of Jonathan Richardson,
Oct. 4, 1846, and settled on the farm where he has ever since resided. The children of this worthy pair are Mrs.
Melvin Minges, Ardeen and Mrs. Emmett Chandler of Port Allegany, Pa.
Benoni Parker, son of Harvey and Charlotte (Fulmer) Parker was born in 1833. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. H, 160th
New York Regi., was wounded at Port Hudson, June 14, 1863, by gun shots in the head and right leg, and was discharged
from David's Island, N. Y. in 1864. He is a member of Rolfe Post, G. A. R.
Rev. Thos. L. Perry, son of Thomas and Sarah Perry of Linton, was born in Herefordshire, Eng., was ordained a Baptist
minister in Bromyard in that country. He came to America in 1878, was pastor at Ulysses until 1884, at Henrietta,
N. Y., from 1884 till 1889 when he came to Whitesville, where he is now pastor. He married Ann Bird, and has three
children now living. He buried four in England and two in America.
Joseph N. Remington, an English emigrant to Rhode Island. served in the Revolution seven years, and came to this
town very early, a pioneer, and took wild land on the farm now owned by W. Crandall. His son, Daniel S., born in
1801, came with his father, and his was the first marriage in the town. His wife was Eliza, daughter of Erastus
Eaton. Their home was on the homestead taken by his father. He was a farmer, a deacon of the Seventh Day Baptist
church, and passed most of his life in town, dying in Andover in 1887. Of his six children, Jerome P. Remington,
born May 3o, 1831, married Aurilla Bloss in 1852, and located in town. His wife dying in 1853, he married Mary,
daughter of Lewis B, Fish in 1856, and settled at Green's Corners as a wagon maker. In 1862 he enlisted in Co.
E, 130th New York, and served with his regiment until discharged in July, 1865, except four months in hospital.
From 1865 to 1890 he was a carpenter and a farmer. His wife died in 1889, and he married Selina Green. In 1890
he became a merchant at Green's Corners. He has 3 children by second wife, Cora M., Fanny A. and Lenna E. Mr. Remington
is a loyal citizen and belongs to Sawyer Post, G. A. R.
Jonathan Richardson, son of Jonathan, a native of Brattleboro, Vt., came to Independence from Livonia, N. Y., in
1839, and settled in the west part of the town as a farmer. He married Miranda Moore; of their 1 r children 9 survive.
Thompson Richardson, son of above, was born Oct. 28, 1833, and married, Dec. 5, 1859, Almira, daughter of Silas
Clark, and made his home in town. Removing to Almond in 1861, Dec. to, 1863, he enlisted in Co. F, 109th N. Y.
Vols., and was with the regiment in its numerous battles. He took part in the Wilderness fight. Spottsylvania,
Cold Harbor, Falls Church, Weldon railroad, etc., and was discharged June 17, 1865. He has since lived in Whitesville,
and is a member of Sawyer Post, No. 333, G. A. R. Children, Belle (Mrs. Frank Bloss) and Cora (Mrs. Mason Richardson).
Joseph Sackett came to Independence about 1814. He was a pensioner of the war of 1812. His son, Merrill C., born
in Rochester about 1802, learned the carpenter's trade of his father and married Sarah E., daughter of Alexander
Rice, had 9 children, and died in March, 1886, his wife in October, 1893. Their son, Volney D. Sackett, was born
in Whitesville, June 5, 1844. He was a carpenter until September. 1861, when he enlisted in Co. G, 46th Penn. He
was in the battle of Winchester, Aug. 9, 1862, was wounded on the knee at Cedar Mountain, had his leg amputated,
was prisoner in Libby prison 64 days, paroled, and discharged Nov. 7, 1862.
Norris Seger born Feb. 20, 1799, in New Hartford, Conn., moved to Independence in 1840. He married Amanda Mix,
and settled on the farm where his son Orville now lives, taking up 100 acres, building a primitive loghouse and
developed a fine farm. He died in 1887, his wife in 1892. Children. James W., Royal W., Adeline (Mrs. R. S. Langdon),
Orville C. James W. Seger, son of Norris, born Nov. 13, 1826, married Nancy E. Bunnell, daughter of David, and
settled on the old homestead. Aug. 9, 1864, he enlisted in Co. I, 189th N. Y. Regt., accompanied the regiment to
the Welden railroad, where he was sick and taken to the hospital and discharged Jan. 17, 1865. He was a farmer
ever after, a member of Sawyer Post, G. A. R., and died Nov. 9, 1886. His son, Homer F., died young. Royal W. Seger,
son of Norris, born Nov. 9, 1829, married Ruth B. Fish, daughter of Lewis. Aug. 9, 1864, he enlisted m Co. I, 189th
N. Y. Regt., and was discharged May 3o, 1865. He then settled in West Union, where he now lives. Belongs to Sawyer
Post, G. A. R. Has children living, Jennie A., Martha A., Fred W.
Joseph Selden, born in 1804 of English ancestry, came to Allegany county in 1828. He married his third wife in
1842 and had 8 children. He enlisted in the 104th N. Y. in November, 186r, and was buried at Fredericksburg, Jan.
8, 1863. His oldest son, William, enlisted from Livingston county at the first "three month's call,"
re-enlisted in 1862 in the 136th N. Y. for 3 years and served the full time. He was wounded at Gettysburg. His
second son, Willard M., enlisted in 1861 in the 85th N. Y. and was killed May 31, 1862, at Seven Pines, Va., where
he was buried. His third son, Oscar B. Selden, enlisted in the 85th N. Y. in 1864 served 3 years and enlisted for
3 more, and was imprisoned 8 months in the prisons of the South, came home a cripple and receives $14 a month pension.
Gordon Stout, a native of New Jersey, came from Tompkins county, May I, 1822, to this town, took up 137 acres where
is now the farm of F. M. Bassett, cleared and developed a good farm besides working at his trade of saddler and
was road commissioner for years. He married Margaret Nye. Of their 7 children 4 are living. William Stout, son
of Gordon, was born Jan. 15, 1825. He married Adeline, daughter of William Fulmer, Sept. 25, 1848, and made his
home where he now resides. He has been a farmer, supervisor 2 years, assessor 6 years, and road commissioner and
justice of the peace several years. Mrs. Stout died March 3, 1863. Children: Merville G., Andrew A., Delphine Z.,
Margaret M. (dec.)
Samuel S. White, born Oct. 17, 1796, in Hopkinton, R. I., removed with his father to Afred, married Nancy Teater
and came to Independence in 1819, settled on lot 5o where he remained until his death, Sep. 4, 1860. Mrs. White
died Jan. 25, 1863. Mr. White built the first hotel in Whitesville. conducted it and a store for several years,
was a large dealer in cattle, an extensive farmer and and owner. His was the first framed house in Whitesville.
He was postmaster, town clerk and supervisor. It is said, that when he came here, he had an axe and $2.50. His
children were Dugald C., the first child born in the town, Clark, Serena Cynthia, Sophia, George S., Minerva and
Samuel E. 4 survive, 3 live near the place of their birth. Dugald C. White, born Oct. 23, 1819, was married to
Lydia Crandall, Dec. 26, 1842, by the Rev. John B. Chase, and resided within a few rods of where he was born until
his death Sep. 26, 1879. Five of his six children are living. Mrs. J. M. Parker of Oakland, Samuel S., Willis C.,
Arthur L., and Mary S. Heseltine live within a mile of the old homestead. Samuel S. White, son of Dugald C., was
born Feb. 24, 1850. He married Sylvania, daughter of Seth A. Spicer. Children are Fred C., Gertrude M., Don C.,
Rebea L. He resides in the house where he was born. He is a farmer and has been supervisor and assessor.
Clark White born Jan. 4, 1822, married in 1846, Lovina, daughter of Stephen Boyce, conducted farming on the old
homestead, was a merchant for 13 years, supervisor in 1878. justice of the peace 4 years, assessor two terms and
town clerk for years. Mrs. White died Jan. 25, 1852. Mr. White married second Tryphena. Covell. Three children
by first wife, four by second; five now living, Mrs. Nancy Newman of Bradford, Pa., Burton C. White of Ubet, Mont.,
Mrs. Cora Emerson of Oswayo, Pa., Florence and Grace White of Whitesville. Mr. White has always been a farmer whose
good judgment and sterling worth have been factors in the conduct of the town's affairs. Serena C. White, born
April 17, 1824, married Ira Sayles, A. M., Ph. D., April 13, 1845. Their surviving children are Clifton D. and
Sherman. Mr. Sayles was a captain in the 130th Regt. N. Y. S. V. He died in June, 1894, at Chase City, Va., where
Mrs. Sayles and her sons reside. Mr. and Mrs. Sayles were at one time successful teachers at Alfred University.
Cynthia Sophia White. born in May, 1827, married Dr. Hanson in March, 1849, and died July 3, 1856. Dr. Hanson died
June 12, 1871. Their daughter is Mrs. A. S. Brown of Hornellsville. George S. White, born April 12, 183o, married
first, Amanda Longwell, who died Sep. 30, 1858; second, Marilla Larrabee, she died Dec. 22, 1858; third, Anna Longwell.
Mr. White's surviving children are Mrs. Frank Smith of Petrolia, Archer C., of Fort Dodge, Iowa, and V. Lamont
White. Mr. White has always been a farmer. Minerva White, born July 1, 1832, married Valencia C. Baker, she died
Feb. II, 1875. Mr. Baker died May 21, 1875. None of their children survive, but a grandson, Robert Baker, resides
in Elmira. Samuel E. White, born Sep. 15, 1834, married Malona Richardson who died March 14, 1863. He married second
Lydia P. Cobb. His 3 surviving children are Aurelius C., Mrs. Mark Williams of Petrolia and Mrs. Wm. Satterlee
of Hornellsville. Mr. White has always "tilled the soil."
David Wilson with wife Diodama Gray, and 7 children, David, (the first blacksmith in town) Robert W., Lawson, Mary,
Miner, Angeline and Calvin, in 1818 settled on the farm now owned by Delos Allen, where he took up 300 acres. Here
he built the first frame barn in town. His son Matthew and daughter Diodama (Mrs. Abel Trask) came in 1820. Matthew
married Lucy Barker, settled on the farm now owned by Jesse Barker, was town clerk and assessor, justice of the
peace and lieutenant of militia. Robert Wilson, son of David, born in Massachusetts in 1797, came with his father,
married Nancy Sherwood and located and always lived on land adjoining his father's, now owned by A. White. He was
a blacksmith and a farmer. Lawson Wilson, son of David, was born Feb. 6, 1802, married Amanda M., daughter of Wm.
and Lydia (Church) Reynolds and succeeded to the homestead of his father, an early settler, and was a farmer, dying
Nov. 28. 1849. and his wife in 1889. Children: Lawson (dec.), Malvin N. (killed at Spottsylvania, Va), Ransom (dec.),
Newton M., Levi O., Melvina L. (Mrs. F. M. Reynolds). Newton M. Wilson, son of Lawson was born March 14, 1838.
He married, Aug. 1, 1860, Lavinia S., daughter of Eliza and Mary (Conant) Seely. His wife died Jan. z8, 1892. Of
their 9 children are living: Lawson G., Delavan R., Rosa B., Celia A., Julius G. (a teacher), John K., George H.,
Ola M., Mabel IC. (Mrs. H. L. Lyon) is deceased.
David Woodcock, son of Levi, born in Swanzey, Cheshire Co., N. H., in 1791, came with his wife Patty Osgood and
3 children to Almond about 1819, in 182o took up zoo acres in this town, now owned by F. G. Forsyth. He had to
cut his road from the David Wilson farm, two miles. He built a log house and cleared his farm. He sowed the first
apple seeds in the town. From his nursery he furnished trees for his own and neighbors' orchards. He moved to Halls-port
in 185o or 1851 and died in 1860 and his widow in 1864. He was a cooper and made many sap-buckets, and was assessor
and road commissioner. Of his 11 children 5 are living: Rev. Harry E., Rachel (Mrs. John Cline), J. Q. A., H. H.,
E. T., Lucy A. (dec.), a graduate of Oberlin, was a missionary in Jamaica, W. I., for 21 years. J. Q. A. Woodcock,
born July 25, 1824., married Jan. 13, 1847, Clarinda Sherwood, and located on lot 188 in Willing, and was a farmer
and carpenter. He was assessor and road commissioner of Willing. In 1884 he moved to Whitesville, the same year
was elected justice of the peace and continued in office 4 years. His wife died Aug. 27, 1885. Their children were
Leman, Lannessa (Mrs. Levi Wilson), George M., Lamont D. Mr. Woodcock's second wife was Clemma Winter of Niles,
Cayuga Co., married April 10, 1886.
Luther Green, born in Rhode Island in 1796, was here very early, was elected assessor at the first town meeting,
and was the town's first postmaster. He resided here from 1820 until his death in 1892. His oldest son, Elisha
B., was also a resident here until his death in 1887. He was entrusted with many places of trust and enjoyed the
highest confidence of his townsmen. He married Maria C. Bassett who died in 1861. Their oldest son, George A. Green,
is a veteran of the Civil War, a prominent citizen of the county and the present popular county clerk. (See Amity.)