BY S. S. WHITE.
INDEPENDENCE was formed from Alfred, March 16, 1821. Andover was taken off Jan.
28, 1824, and a part of Willing, Nov. 19, 1851. The town lies in the southeast corner of the county in the Phelps
& Gorham purchase, and contains about 21,572 acres. The surface is a mountainous upland, broken by deep, narrow
valleys. The highest summits are 800 to 1,200 feet above the valleys. It is drained by Cryder Creek in the south,
and Chenunda Creek in the north part, and is abundantly watered by numerous springs The soil is principally a gravelly
loam with sections of sand. The people are mostly engaged in farming. Dairying is carried on quite" extensively.
Large quantities of potatoes are raised and shipped to market annually. The population in 1892 was 1,203, a gain
of four since 1860. The first town meeting was held April 10, 1821, at the house of Luther Strong. The first town
officers were. Supervisor, Luther Strong; town clerk, Joseph Clark; assessors, Simeon Adams, Luther Green, Nathaniel
Covell; highway commissioners, Isaac Stanbro, Timothy Younglove, Samuel S. White; collector, Alfred Holmes; overseers
of the poor, Thaddeus Baker, Shubael Spicer; constables, Alvin Holmes, Roswell Adams, Joseph Pixley; school commissioners,
William W. Reynolds, Isaiah W. Green, Amherst Kingsbury; school inspectors, Willett Larrabee, Edmund Perry, Amherst
John Cryder was the first "squatter" but did not become a permanent settler. He located on what is known
as Cryder Creek in 1798, built a house, and a sawmill and cleared and cultivated some land. The second settler,
first actual settler according to tradition, history, etc., was Oliver Babcock, who "took up" his land
in the north part of the town in 1818 and remained here several years. The third settler was John Teater and sons,
John and Peter from Dutchess county. On their way they stopped for a time on the east shore of Cayuga lake, then
located in Alfred, and in 1819 came to Independence where Mr. Teater was made a local land agent. He was enterprising
and in a few years had taken for his own use 400 acres of land, in a body, on the hills north of Cryder Creek His
son John settled within the limits of Whitesville, and lived there until his death, his sons, Peter and Andrew,
live in town. Peter settled on the hills.
The first framed dwelling was built by Isaiah Green in the north part, and Luther Green is said to have been the
first postmaster. The first framed building was a barn built by David Wilson in the summer of 1821, and here Mary
Wilson taught the first school. David Wilson also built the first blacksmith shop (a log one), the first summer
after he came here and David Wilson, Jr., was the pioneer blacksmith. He had no anvil and borrowed one of a Mr.
Burdick of Andover, also a pair of tongs which he kept till late in the fall, when Robert and David Wilson returned
to Massachusetts for the winter, and in the spring brought an anvil back with them. Some years later they put up
a "still" which they run for several years. Wm. Reynolds and Col. Wm. W. Reynolds, his son, built a tannery
on their farm in the south part of the town in 1824, and later added a shoeshop. Colonel Reynolds was the first
settler south of Cryder Creek. Some authorities claim this to be the first tannery in the town, while others claim
that Beriah and Almon Crandall built the first one on lot 81 in 1822.
The first store was kept by Josiah W. Green in 1822 at Green's Corners, now called Independence. The first schoolhouse,
a log structure, was built on lot 50, on lands now owned by Paul M. Burdick. in the fall of 1823, and the first
school in a regular schoolhouse was taught here in the summer of 1824 by Miss Deborah Covil with seven pupils.
The first permanent sawmill was built at Whitesville by Nathaniel Covil and Tower Stetson in the spring of 1820,
which Covil run till the spring of 1828, when he took as partner, Avery Rice, who had a carding machine, which
they put in the mill. Mr. Covil commenced the erection of a gristmill at Whitesville in the summer of 1824, completed
it early in the fall. James Maxwell built one at Spring Mills about the same time but got his in operation first,
if so this was the first gristmill in town. However authorities differ as to the date of its erection, it being
ascribed to each of the years from 1820 to 1823. The first birth was that of Dugald C. White, son of Samuel White,
October 23, 1819. (See White family). The first female child born was Eliza Ann, daughter of Stephen Boyce, April
15, 1821. She resides in town.
Daniel Remington of this town and Eliza Eaton of Andover were married Jan. 1, 1824, the first marriage here. It
was reported that the land agent had promised 100 acres of land to the first married couple, and they were privately
married before morning as they understood another couple were to be married the next afternoon. The first death
was that of Samuel W. Goodridge, Jan. 27, 1822. The first religious service was held at the house of Samuel S.
White, Jan. 1, 1820, by Rev. Daniel Babcock, a Seventh Day Baptist. The first hotel at Whitesville was built by
Mr. White in 1826, and his was the first framed dwelling house there.
The New York and Pennsylvania railroad, an extension of the O. O. & E. R. R. of Pennsylvania, enters Independence
near the southwest corner of the town and follows up the valley of Cryder Creek through Whitesville leaving the
town at the eastern boundary near Rexville in Steuben county. Several of the citizens of the town are largely interested
in this great improvement which was opened for traffic in 1895. There are four railroad stations in the town, White's,
Goodridge, Whitesville, Wildman's Mill.
WHITESVILLE village contains 400 inhabitants, is situated in the eastern part of the town in a beautiful valley,
through which flows the Cryder Creek. The village derives its name from Samuel S. White, who settled here in 1819.
It contains 3 churches, 2 schools, 2 hotels, 2 general stores, 2 drugstores, 1 grocery, 1 hardware store. 1 harness
shop, 1 meatmarket, 1 wagonshop, 3 blacksmith shops, 2 saw and planing mills, 1 planing and matchingmill, 1 gristmill.
1 shingle and feedmill, 1 cheesefactory and cidermill, 1 beehive manufactory, 1 foundry, 1 gasfitting establishment,
1 photograph gallery, 1 millinery store, 1 undertaking establishment, a public hall and lodge room and 100 dwellings.
The News, a small six column folio, was first issued at Whitesville by Fortner & Dexter, in April. 1895. Whitesville
is bountifully supplied with water, coming from a large spring high up on the hillside, both for family use and
for fire purposes, also it is supplied with natural gas from Greenwood, Steuben Co. The village contains an excellent
half mile driving park. Since the advent of the New York and Pennsylvania railroad, which gives the town rapid
communication with all sections of the country and splendid shipping facilities. the village has taken on new life
and greater activity, and other forms of business adventure are being developed. The freight business at Whitesville
station averages $250 monthly.
Manufactories. - Wildman & Bassett's sawmill was built in 1833 by Joseph R. Wildman, who came from Cortland
Co., and returned the same year. His son Horatio came in 1834 and ran the mill until he sold it to his son Tolbert
and B. S. Bassett, the present owners. About 1865 it was changed to a circular sawmill. It produces 6,000 feet
M. W. Reynolds' steam sawmill was built in 1888 by F. M. Reynolds and George H. McKee The present owner purchased
McKee's interest in 1890 and became sole owner in 1894. A planer is connected. Six to 8,000 feet produced daily,
employing 4 men, Bartlett Bros., steam sawmill was built in 1874 by L. H., J. C. and C. L. Bartlett, capacity 10,000
The first cheese factory was built here by Franklin Forsyth in 1864. The milk was then measured instead of being
weighed as is the custom now. The Wildman cheese factory was built in 1887 by Chas. Wildman, is operated by John
H. Wood. 300 cows, product 75,000 lbs., in 1893. Charles Wildman came from Cortland Co. in 1844 to Whitesville,
married Clarissa Clark and about 1846 with his brother, Stephen, engaged in the furniture and undertaking business.
Since 1862 he has been sole owner. He is the oldest undertaker in the county, has been justice and deputy sheriff.
Sawyer Post, No. 333, G. A. R., was organized at Whitesville Jan. 17, 1883, with these charter members: Eugene
Tadder, Sidney Crandall, James Livermore, Albert Halsey. Jason H. Popple, A. F. Gustin, J C Bartlett, T. Richardson,
J. L. Crittenden, O. G. Clark, Nelson Underwood, Ransom Fish, B. B. Slade, James Atwell, Frank M. Chase, J. G.
Horton. Wm. R. Deake, P. K. Millspaugh, Milo Walters, C. J. Mather, Wm. McDonough, J. L. Ainsworth, W. W. Crandall,
Parmer Warfield, J. L. Chase. Present officers of Post: P. C., J. D. Jacobs; S. V. C., Ransom Fish; J. V. C., Elias
Ketcham; Adj., Albertus Burr; Q. M., J. L. Chase; Surg., Duane Gray; Chap., C. J. Mather: O. D., N. C. Cowen; O.
G., J. P. Remington; S. M., John Spearman; Q. M. S., P. K. Millspaugh. Present membership in good standing, 46.
Sawyer Belief Corps, No. 67, was organized at Whitesville Feb. 3, 1886, with these members: Mrs. Mary Horton, Mrs.
Augusta Forsyth, Mrs. Julia Ainsworth, Mrs. Cora White, Mrs. Erneline Livermore, Mrs Anna Brown, Mrs. Julia Pickett,
Mrs. Emma Wildman, Mrs. Elvira Furbeck, Mrs. Melissa Crittenden, Mrs. Clara Crandall, Miss May Horton, Miss Anna
Ainsworth, Miss May Mather, Miss Laura Brown, Mrs. Susan Sherman, Mrs. Antoinette Dexter, Mrs. Hattie Heseltine,
Mrs. Clara Chase, Mrs. Sophrona Mather. The present officers are: Pres., Alvira Ferbeck; Senior Vice Pres., Lena
Bartlett; Junior V. P., Mrs. Remington; Chap., Mrs. Millspaugh; Sec., Mrs. Ketchum; Treas., Mrs. Clara Chase; Con.,
Mrs. Titus; Ass't Con., Mrs. Fish; Guard, Mrs. Gray; Ass't Guard, Mrs. Payne. Present membership about 35.
Whitesville Tent No. 51, K. O. T. M., was organized Nov. 10, 1887, with 16 members. First officers: P. C., A. J.
Remington; Com., E R. Allen; Lt. Com., D. W. Collins; R. K., F. M. Reynolds; F. K., A. W. Allen; Chap., E. J. Maynard;
S., W. J. Stevens; Phys., A. J. Remington; M. of A., C. F. Casey; 1st M. of G., E. J. Kies; 2d. M. of G., L. O.
Wilson; Sen., A. Halsey; P., G. Woodcock. Present membership 200. Officers for 1895: P. C., L. H. Fortner; Com.,
Chas. Armstrong; Lt. Com., V. E. Heseltine; R. K., I. L., Chase; F. K., A. S. Heseltine; Chap., Frank Clark; Phys.,
M. B. Titus; S., V. V. Beagle; M. of A., G. E. Lamphier; 1st M. of G., A. McAllister; 2d M. of G., Fred Stebbins;
Sen., Geo. Willmot; P., W. Langdon.
May Queen Hive, No. 11, L. O. T. M., - Whitesville, was organized June. 15, 1891, with about 20 members. First
officers: P. C., Mrs. Lena Bartlett, Com., Mrs. Vine Reynolds; Lt. Com., Mrs Vania White; R. K.; Mrs. Minie Howe;
F. K., Mrs. Nellie Remington; Prelate, Mrs. Clara Chase; Phys., Dr_ A. J. Remington; Sergeant, Mrs. Robetta Maynard;
M. of A., Mrs. Mate Baker; Sen., Mrs. Martha Langdon; P., Miss Celia Wilson. Officers for 1895: P. C., Mrs. Lena
Bartlett; Com., Mrs. Carrie Howe; Lt. Com., Mrs., Vine Reynolds; R. C., Mrs. Lois Wildman; F. K., Mrs. G. Casey;
Prelate, Mrs. Kies; S., Mrs. Tencia Bassett; M. of A., Mrs. Ella Brown; 1st M. of G., Mrs. Metta Vanderbeck, 2d
M. of G., Mrs. Celia Ostrander; Sen., Mrs Libbie Bledsoe; P., Mrs. McAllister. Present membership about 60.
Cryder Union, No. 767, E. A. U., was organized at Whitesville, Sept. 27, 1889, with 15 members. First officers:
Chan., Wilbur Wilson; Pres. M. B. Titus; V. P., Mrs. Laura Richardson; Aux., Mrs. Violetta Rose; Adv., Mrs. H.
B. Lamont; Sec., Ed. E. Lamont; Acct., G. W. Rose; Chap., Rev. N. North; Warden, F. M. Reynolds; Sen., M. W. Reynolds;
W., M. B. Riley. Present membership 30. Officers for 1895: Chan., J. H. Rose; Pres., Rev. T. L. Perry; V. P., Mrs.
Emma Wildman; Acct., G. W. Rose; Sec., Mrs. M. L. Reynolds; Treas. Mrs. Violetta Rose; Chap., Mrs. Julia McKee;
Warden, Mrs. Tryphena White; Adv., Mrs. Jane Wilson; Sen., Charles Wildman; W., Charles Wildman.
Farmers' Alliance and Industrial Union, No. 69, Whitesville, was organized Oct. 6, 1890, with about 20 members.
First officers: Pres., Nelson Rice; V. P., B. B. Edwards; Sec., A. D. Howe; Treas., W. C. White; Chap., W. O. Shepard;
Lec., V. M. Allen; S., V. E. Heseltine. Present officers: Pres., D. M. Rollins; V. P., Mrs. Lotta Teater; Sec.,
A. W. Barney; Treas., Mrs. Emma Kelley; Chap., Mrs. Lois Weidman; Lect., Mrs. Sarah Snow. Present membership 50.
Whitesville Lodge, L O. G. T., Whitesville, was organized Feb. 15, 1895, with about 30 members. First officers:
C. T., Harvey Leach; Vice T., Bertha Wildman; Chap., Rev. H. Vosburg; P. C. T., Ella Chase; Sec., Carrie Snow;
F. Sec., Sarah Chase; Treas., Geo. Wilson; M., Harvey Richmond; D. M., Clara Bowers; Lodge Dep., A. D. Howe.
SPRING MILLS so named from the many springs in its vicinity, is situated in the southeast corner of the town, contains
Spring Mills postoffice. a church, a school, 3 stores, a cheese factory, a blacksmith shop, a hotel and about 18
dwellings. It has been a center of trade since the first quarter of this century, as the first merchant, Mr. Hammond,
located here in 1826, and Samuel Maxwell soon became his competitor in the same line. The most prominent citizens
of the place are Theodore and William Cobb, sons of Hon. William Cobb, deceased.
Spring Mills Cheese Factory was built by Hale Young, who after several years sold to William Cobb, Sr., who was
succeeded in its ownership by his son William. It is operated by Chas. H. Austin, who uses the milk of 500 cows.
From 150,000 to 175,000 lbs. of cheese is made each season.
GREEN'S CORNERS, in the north part of the town, contains a postoffice (Independence P. O.), a school, 2 general
stores, a blacksmith shop, a wagon shop, a cheese factory and about 20 dwellings. Isaiah W. Green (son of Edward,
son of Josiah, son of John, son of Benjamin, son of John, the English emigrant in 1665) born in Berlin, N. Y.,
came to Alfred in 1818. In 1823 he settled as one of the earliest merchants at the place that bears his name, Green's
Corners, and located 150 acres of land. He was one of the founders of the Seventh day Baptist church here. In 1841
he moved to Alfred, was a merchant seven years and returned to follow merchandising at Green's Corners until his
death Oct. 18, 1864. He married Betsey Bassett from Vermont, and was a soldier of 1812, and a supervisor of Alfred.
Independence cheese factory at Green's Corners was started in 1870 by Decatur M. Clark. In 1889 Charles F. Potter
became owner, 350 cows. In 1893 102,000 lbs. of cheese was made.
Cryder Creek feed and shingle mill was built as a shingle mill in 1844 by Stephen Partello and Timothy Stiles.
In 1872 it was sold to James Wilcox, Jr., who added a feed mill. Cryder Creek cheese factory was built about 1884
by Clark White. It is now owned by L. C. Hakes and B. F. Boyce, is supplied by nearly 200 cows and made 45,000
lbs. of cheese in 1893.
FULMER'S VALLEY, a little hamlet in the northwest corner of the town, lies in a beautiful valley, and its postoffice
bears the name of Joseph Fulmer, born of German parents in 1770 on board of ship while immigrating to Northampton
Co., Pa. He came to Independence in 1819 from Tompkins county, locating on lot 111. He married Charlotte Brown,
had 8 children, and died in 1852. William, his son, born in 1800, married Zeruviah Parker, settled on lot 132,
was an extensive farmer with a wide range of acquaintance. He died in 1875, his wife in 1880. Children: Adaline,
Wm. H., King H., Zeruviala, Tillery M.
EARLY SETTLERS - Col. William W. Reynolds, son of William, born in Rhode Island, came from Plainfield, N. Y., in
1819 or 1820, located land, married Mary Wilson, daughter of David, and settled where his sons, N. M. and K W.,
now own. He was very prominent, was colonel of militia, and died in 1859. William Reynolds came soon after his
son and took up land adjoining his. He had a tannery on his farm, married Lydia Church, and passed his life here.
Abraham Lewis and son Caleb came with Col. Reynolds and took up land. Mansur Dyer was born in Norwich, Conn., in
1801, settled in Independence when 19 years old, bought a farm and made the first clearing and built his log house.
He married first Eliza Heseltine and had 5 children. His second wife was Sallie A. Stout. They had 3 children,
only one is living, Georgianna, who married Roswin Hardy of Andover. Mr. Dyer was deacon of the Presbyterian church
for many years. He was a large farmer, owned 500 acres and was the leading dairyman in this section of the county.
He was the first justice of the peace in Independence and married the first couple in that town. In 1849 he removed
to Andover. Stephen Boyce came every early from New Hampshire and took up 8o acres, the site of part of Whitesville,
married Sarah Tallman, of Troy, N. H. Their first child, Eliza A., was the first female child born in the town.
She married Benjamin Wood, son of Alvah. Alvah Wood, son of Benjamin, born in Woodstock, Vt., came early. He was
supervisor, justice of the peace, etc., conducted farming and lumbering. He married Mary Covell, daughter of James.
His son Benjamin was a farmer and drover, supervisor, "justice, etc. Nathaniel and Eben Covell came early
from Ontario county. John C. Bassett, born in Brattleboro, Vt., a cloth dyer, was one of the first settlers. He
married Martha St. John and had 14 children. He used to go to Almond every Monday on horseback through the forests
and work during the week. He cleared a farm of 150 acres and died in 1859. Aaron Burrows was among the early settlers.
He owned a gristmill at Whitesville, and also owned one at Greenville where he lived for a time but returned to
Whitesville and died in January, 1859. Ebenezer Richmond, son of Peleg, came from Columbia county to Wayne, Steuben
county about 1817, and in 1822 to the place now owned by his son, Henry A. To reach it he had to cut a road for
a mile and a half. When he raised his log house every man in town was at the "raising." He was a Universalist
and died in 1859. His 11 children settled in this vicinity. Philip Heseltine came early from New Hampshire, married
Betsy Stevens. Has descendants in town, but of his 6 children only Samuel survives. Archelaus Putnam came from
Woodstock, Vt., to Whitesville in 1827. On his lot of 5o acres he built the first brick house in town where the
brick hotel now stands. He was a cloth dresser, married Nancy Wood. Nathan Babcock, born in Rhode Island, Feb.
29, 1796, married Abbie, daughter of William Dexter, and moved from Ontario county March 24, 1824 to lot 90 in
Independence, where he developed a farm on the too acre lot he bought. Daniel Briggs from Madison county was an
early settler on the farm now owned by W. A. Bishop. Noel Jones from Oneida county, a watch and clock maker, located
in 1824 where Mrs. Adolphus Jones now lives. His son Noel is said to have carried the first daily mail between
Wellsville and Whitesville. Horace C. Jones, son of Ebenezer, born in Cortland county in 1797, came in 1824. built
a log house on lot 53, returned to Freeville and married Anna M. Meecham. His log house stood on the site of A.
Howe's house. He built a mill for coloring and finishing cloth and sold it to Silas Crandall. In 1836 he removed
to lot 39, and worked near his house at cloth dressing. He died in 187o. Ebenezer Parker, son of Ebenezer, a native
of Vermont, came from Yates county in 1824, took up 50 acres of wild land.
Thomas Collver, born in New Jersey, was a descendant of John of England, early of New London, Conn. His son, John,
it is said, married Sarah Winthrop, a granddaughter of Gov. Winthrop, and that from him descended the Whitesville
family. Thomas came here in 1827, with Hale and Amos Perry built a sawmill, was a blacksmith and farmer, married
Silence, daughter of Joseph Perry, and died in 1892. William S. Livermore came from Madison county in 1824 when
16 years old with Samuel, his father. He married Amanda, daughter of Hazard P. Clark. Mr. Livermore has been deacon
of the Seventh Day Baptist church for 6o years. Briggs B. Livermore, son of Samuel, born in 1814, married first,
Mary, daughter of Erastus Eaton, second, Selucia Clark, daughter of Hazard P. Joseph Hull came from Conn. to Herkimer
county, from there in 1825 and settled on lot 46. His sole capital was an ox and what little clothing he carried
in a handkerchief. He developed a good farm by his industry. He died in x880. Lewis B. Fish came from Cortland
county to Whitesville in 1827. He married Fanny Remington and to of their 12 children are living. Charles Chapin
came in 1825 from Massachusetts, took up and cleared too acres of the C. C. Richardson farm, and was a farmer and
blacksmith. George K. Lee son of John H., born in Whitehall, N. Y., in 1809, came in 1833, with wife, Silence Chapin,
and settled in Independence. Of his surviving children are Erwin D. of Whitesville, Charles S. of Wellsville and
Mrs. Laura D. Richardson. David Robinson, son of Clark, came to Marcellus, N. Y., from Connecticut in 1812, in
1825 located too acres in this town and cleared a farm, married Mercy Burley and died in 1861, his wife in 1867.
William A. Jacobs from Vermont, came about 1827, married Mary Sanford, lived some years in the west part of town
and moved to Michigan where he died. John Hill came from Tompkins county about 1824. located too acres and finally
owned 400 acres. He married Betsey Hiles.
Smith Dexter, son of William, was born in Herkimer county March 2, 1797. In or near 1828 he came to Independence,
married Charlotte, daughter of Ebenezer Parker, and took up a lot of wild land which O. T. Perkins now owns, building
a log house and commenced to clear, but finding his title worthless he took up zoo acres now the property of J.
O. Barney. and later occupied a farm which his son Walter owns. He died March to, 1890. Calvin Hall, son of William,
came to Independence in 1824. He took up too acres which Ed. Casey owns, and in 1838 built the hotel where Mrs.
Lucinda Hall lives, and gave name to Hallsport where he was postmaster. His wife was Charlotte E. Dexter. Conrad
Minges, a Pennsylvanian, came from Steuben county in 1823 and made his home where Henry and Charles Minges live.
He sold to his son John some years since and left town. Barney Crandall, a shoemaker, came to Independence in 1830.
He followed cloth dressing in the Whitesville woolen mills. His wife was Eliza Warriner. They have descendants
here. Russell Wood, son of Isaac, born in Herkimer county married Martha Perkins, came here in 1838. and cleared
up the farm where E. Livermore resides, where be passed his life.
Dorus Burr came in 1830 to Andover, took up land and made improvements, married Elizabeth Corey in Tompkins
county in 1832, and resided five years in Andover when he moved to Whitesville, where he was first a carpenter,
then a wagon maker. He died in 1890. Charles C. Allen came to Whitesville about 1840, was a blacksmith. He later
purchased the Hiram Alley foundry and commenced to make plows. His trade increased until he employed ten men. He
married Nancy, daughter of Silas Crandall, and died in 1881. Franklin Forsyth came early from Norway, N. Y., took
up 400 acres (the present farm of George Richmond is part of it) and before his death owned Low acres. He filled
prominent local offices.
William Crandall, son of Stennett, born in Berlin, N. Y., came early to Spring Mills, then, marrying Rachel Tallman,
daughter of William, he located at Whitesville, was many years a shoemaker, and a deputy sheriff. Joel Crandall,
son of Stennett, was an early settler, and worked with his brother Silas in the woolen mill. Joseph S., his son,
was merchant and postmaster. William R. Crandall, son of Nelson R., born July 12, 1847, married Emily J., daughter
of Samuel Benjamin. William Tallman, Sr., an early settler, lived many years on the Andrew W. Teater place, was
deacon, a farmer and shoemaker.
THE SEVENTH DAY BAPTIST CHURCH. Previous to the organization of this church in town, several of the members of
the First Seventh Day Baptist church of Alfred were living in Independence and were desirous that a church of their
own faith be established in their own town. A council consisting of the members of the Alfred church was called,
which met at the house of Isaiah W. Green in Independence, March 21, 1834. for church organization. A church of
18 members was then organized, the members being increased to 21 the next day. Several of these members are yet
living. Rev. Stillman Coon was the first pastor, although several others rendered ministerial labor before the
organization. He was succeeded by Rev. S. S. Griswold. In 1848 Rev. T. E. Burdick became pastor and served until
1856 when he resigned, and the same year Rev. Jared Kenyon became pastor, and faithfully served the church until
1880, Rev. I. L. Cottrell then was pastor until 1883, when he was succeeded by Rev. G. H. F. Randolph. In 1885
Rev. E. N. Backus entered upon a pastorate of two years. Rev. H. D. Clarke then became pastor until 1893, when
the present pastor, Rev. M. Harry, commenced his labors.
Nathan Merritt was the first deacon. Daniel S. Remington and Wm. S, Livermore were soon after ordained to the office.
Archibald G. Coon was ordained in 1857. A. C. Burdick was elected deacon here, but was ordained elsewhere. In 1870,
S. G. Crandall was chosen, and in 1894 D. E. Livermore. The present membership is about 124. Many once members
of this church have united with other churches of like faith. About 1844 a church building was erected at a cost
of $800, which was replaced in 1875 by one costing $3,000. In January, 1884, this was burned, and the same year,
the present house was erected on the same site at a cost of $2,500. For many years a Sabbath school has been maintained,
which has been a great aid to the church and a means of doing much good. There are now about 120 scholars enrolled.
THE FIRST METHODIST CHURCH OF WHITESVILLE was organized in September, 1831, with 25 members. A church building
was erected eight years later at a cost of $1,100 including a parsonage. Still later the church was remodeled and
enlarged and a more commodious parsonage was added. The church has a seating capacity of 200 and the property is
valued at $8,000. The membership was 75. Among the pastors have been J. D. McKenney, William Madison, William Bronson.
Rev. Gifford, Isaac Everett, Rev. Sweet, M. H. Davis, Joseph Criswell, C. J. Lowell, R. Canfield, Anson West, J.
F. Brown, S. D. Pickett, N. North, P. P. Somers, E. S. Remington, and H. Vosburg, the present pastor.
THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF WHITESVILLE was organized in July, 1838, with 11 members. The first pastor was the
Rev. John B. Chase. The house of worship, which will seat about 200, was erected in 1840 at a cost of $2,500. The
church membership is about 60. The following have served the church as regular pastors, John B. Chase, John Kitchell,
Benjamin Capron, Henry Robertson, Cyranus Ainsworth, J. E. Howd, Albert Jessop, F. A. Vanderburg, and Thomas L.
Perry, the present pastor.
THE FIRST UNIVERSALIST SOCIETY OF INDEPENDENCE was organized May 25, 1844. On the first board of trustees were
Aholiab Sawyer and Thomas Collver. Until 1859 meetings were held alternately at the Collver schoolhouse, on Cryder
creek, the Spicer schoolhouse and the schoolhouse at Hallsport (Willing) In the fall of 1858, Thomas Collver; Guy
Forsyth and Willet Wilson were chosen a committee to'let the contract for and to superintend the erection of a
church edifice at Whitesville. The church was dedicated in 1860. The seating capacity is about 300 and its cost
about $1,500. Rev. Jason Lewis was the first pastor. He was succeeded by Linus Payne, Rev. Wisner, Isaac George,
O. B. Clark, Joel Sawyer, S. E. Darrow, I. B. Sharp. E. W. Fuller, F. M. Alvoid, Rev. Holt, Rev. Broeffle, W. H.
McLaughlin, E. C. Rice, Emma Bailey and Rev. Dodge. Membership in 1895, 46.
SOLDIERS of the Civil War residents of the town: Richard J. Fosbury, William H. Comstock, Fredrick A. Comstock,
Judson D. Jacobs, Sidney Crandall, George Parker, Dauphin Dexter. Cyrenus A. Larabee, Lyman P. Carver, William
T. Collins. Albert Heseltine, Newell Brown, Wilson Wood, Henry Bierman. James Parker, William Truesoiale, John
G Barker, Patrick Riley. Selic A. Sawyer, George A. Green, Orville S. Barney, Frank M. Bassett, Orville Clark,
William Barney, Francis M. Fish, Ransom Fish, Alburtus Burr, James L. Crittenden, George Coats, Jared L. Ainsworth,
Charles J. Mather, Adelbert S. Brown, Aurelius H. Cobb, Theodorus Barker, Elias Horton, Orson C. Kenyon, Jesse
B. Holbert. Heber D. Coats, Alburn Crandall, Benona Parker, Smith Dexter, Wayne A. Bishop, Warren Kenyon, Gustavus
Nelson, Chauncy W. Ellsworth, Henry Stillman, Samuel G. Chamberlain, Oscar F. Burdick, Harrison P. Dutcher, James
M. Coats, Orville N. Richardson, Patrick Lowe, Lewis Diar, Leonard Briggs, Addison Atwater, Horace C. Jones, Royal
Segar, Jonathan G. Horton, Asa M. Graves, Oliver H. Campbell, John H. Chase, Alvah L. Horton, Asa G. Wheat, James
L Chase, Warren Segar, Anthony B. Graves, William H. Lewis, Francis M. Wood, Leroy D. McCurdy, Oscar Dana, Lester
Stone, George W. Richmond, Milo Walters, Newton Dexter, Alonzo Curtis, William Parker, Melvin Wilson, Rodney Rice,
Murray L. Richmond, George B. Langdon, Elias Ketchum. Soldiers who were not residents: Lucias Campbell, Erwin L.
Bloss, John Downey, John Aiken, Horatio Darling, John Beagle, Benjamin Tubbs, George W. Rogers, William C. Ellsworth.
Merritt Teal, Charles A. Elliott, Delos F. Leonard. Vine Johnson. Noyce Snyder, Edward Brown, William H. Donihi,
Joseph B. Johnson, Edgar B. King, Morris Snyder, Charles H. Barnes, Albert Robbins, William W Tadder, Lester Stone,
Charles Miller, William R. Ransford, Alexander Simpkins
The 1895 town officers are: Theodore Cobb, supervisor; C. S. Armstrong, town clerk; A. L. Chase, J. D. Jacobs,
B. H. Robbins, H. D. Clarke, justices; E. W. Reynolds, H. K. Bassett, E. D. Lee, assessors; Oscar Potter, highway
commissioner; N. P. Collins, collector; N. Blair, overseer of poor.
SUPERVISORS. - 1821, Luther Strong; 1822, '23, '24, '25, '26, '47, Nathaniel Covell; 1827, '28, '29, John P. Livermore;
1830, '32, '33, Alvah Wood; 1831, Alexander Rice; 1834, '39, Silas Crandall; 1835, '36, '40, '41, '48, '49, '53,
'58, Samuel S. White; 1837, Isaiah W. Green; 1838, Gaylord C. Calvin; 1842, '43, Hercules Darling; 1844, Franklin
Forsyth; 1845, '46, '52, '72, '73, '74, '75, William Cobb; 1850, '55, '56, Dugald C. White; 1851, Morris S. Chase;
1854, Samuel Y. Schofield; 1857, Elisha B. Green; 1859. '60, Anthony Barney; 1861, Daniel B. Harrigan; 1862, '63,
Benjamin F. Wood; 1864, '65, A. M. Parker; 1866, L. D. Brown; 1867, E. J. Shepard; 1868, '69, Walter Leonard; 1870,
'71, John C. Green; 1876. '77, Morris S. Chase; 1878, Clark White; 1879, '80, William Stout; 1881, '82, Walter
Leonard; 1883, '84, M. F. Forsyth; 1885, '86, William Cobb, Jr.; 1887, '88, S. S. White; 1889, F. M. Bassett; 1890,
'91, A. J. Remington; 1892, '93. '94, '95, Theodore Cobb.