SOME OF SCIO'S PEOPLE.
Erastus Babcock, son of Russell, was born in Scott, N. Y., about 1819 His father
was among the early settlers of Scio. Erastus married Doroleski Perkins, settled in Witt, and had 5 children. Mr.
Babcock was a farmer, was also engaged in lumbering. He died in 1863. His widow resides in Scio. Gurdon E. Babcock,
son of Erastus, was born April 15, 1843, in Win. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. C, 85th Regt. N. Y. S. V. and was wounded
at the battles of Fair Oaks, Malvern Hill, Raleigh and Little Washington, N. C. He was taken prisoner April 20,
1864, at Plymouth, N. C., and was kept a prisoner for 346 days. He weighed when taken to prison 193 pounds, and,
when he left, less than 90 pounds. He was honorably discharged June 6, 1865. He is a member of Hakes Post, No.
261. July 4, 1865, he married Freelove E., daughter of John Wright. They have 3 children.
Justice Blackman, of Rhode Island, married Betsey Usher, and located in Pharsalia, Chenango Co. They had children,
George, Selden and Mary. The sons came to Scio and settled on Knight's Creek. George married Mariah M. Smith, who
died April 23, 1893. Their children were Samantha E. (Mrs. William Duke), Daniel G., George H., Maria (Mrs. David
C. Corwin), Julia (Mrs. Howard Eldridge). In 1890 he removed to Wellsville. Selden married Cornelia, daughter of
Ebenezer Norton, and later removed to the West where he died.
King Solomon Black, son of William D. and Julia (Harris) Black, was born in Alfred (now Ward) Jan. 8, 1840. William
D. was son of John, the Scotch emigrant, who settled first in New Jersey and later in Lisle, Broome Co., N. Y.,
where William D. was born about 1800. The family came to Alfred in or near 1826, and William D. built a sawmill
on Vandermark Creek and engaged in lumbering and farming. His wife died in 1842. and he Mar. 24, 1888. Their children
were: William H., an Union soldier, died in service; Edward; Jane E. (Mrs. James Fluker); Adaline (Mrs. John H.
Black); King S. The latter came to Scio in 1865 after being a successful dealer in live stock for some years, purchased
a large tract of timber land and built a sawmill where he has cut a large amount of lumber taken from his lands
that are now converted into fertile fields and of which he owns 1,000 acres. He married, April 20,1862, Mary E.,
daughter of Gardner and Martha Tucker of Ward. Of their 8 children 5 survive: Amanda F. (Mrs. W. A. Dodge), Evangeline
(Mrs. Philip Collins), Eugene T., Garfield and Orah A. Mr. Black is a leading citizen, an energetic business man,
an active member of and for over 25 years an elder of the Scio Church of Christ and a Freemason.
Peter Coyle, born in Westmeath, Ireland, Oct. 31, 1822, came to America in 1837. He married 1st, Jane Graham. They
had 4 children. His 2d wife was Kate Kane, they had 4 children. His 3d wife was Bridget Flannigan. Mr Coyle was
10 days coming from New York City to this county, and when he arrived in Belmont he had but 25 cents. He soon obtained
work with the "Churches," working the first year for $7 a month and labored for them about 6 years. He
came to Scio in 1845 and purchased a farm.
John Coyle, a native of Ireland, came here about 1842; his father Hugh was a settler on Knight's creek. John Coyle
married Ann McKinley and had 8 children. John L. Coyle, their son, married Ella Cornell, and has 2 children. He
is a cheese manufacturer and is the owner of a cheese factory.
Malachi Davis was born in Philadelphia Feb. 4, 1779. He married Catharine Krees and settled in Milo. He was a cabinet
maker by. trade. In 1823 he settled in Scio, and made the first clearing on the farm. There was a log house on
the place built by a Mr. Wiltsie, which Mr. Davis occupied until he built a better one, and used the other for
a shop where he made chairs and spinning wheels. He was also one of Scio's first highway commissioners, locating
and laying out most of the first highways of Scio as then constituted from about 1825 to 1835. He had a family
of 11 children. In 1833 he bought a farm in Amity where he resided until his death Mar. 20, 1867. His wife died
Nov. 22, 1856.
Myron S. Davis, son of Malachi, was born in Scio, May 4, 1824, and has resided here since his birth. He attended
the common schools and Alfred University. He taught 15 terms of school winters and worked on the farm summers.
In 1851, he married Minerva J., a daughter of Batman Fitzsimmons. They had one son, Marshall T., who was born Aug.
23, 1856 and died Sept. 29, 1886. He married Addie Taylor and had 3 sons, Myron T., Mark W., and E. Marshall. Myron
S. Davis has held the office of justice of the peace for 3o consecutive years. and supervisor 3 terms. In 1852
he located in Scio village and the next year opened a general store which he conducted until April 20, 1889, when
the store and goods were burned. He has been notary public since 1880. Mr. Davis has large farming interests, owning
1,000 acres in this county and about 2.000 acres in North Dakota.
Willard A. Dodge, of Petrolia, son of Washington and Grace (Apsey) Dodge, was born in Ward, in 1859. His father
was a shipbuilder and a native of England where he married. Coming to America in 1847, they were six weeks on the
ocean. They made their home in Ward until 1870 when they removed to Virginia. Mrs. Dodge died Nov. 28, 1887. Their
children were Washington T., Mary J., George E., and Willard A., and Walter A. (twins). Willard A. Dodge married
Amanda F., daughter of King S. Black, Their surviving children are Grace, Mollie B. and Christina E. Mr. Dodge
engaged in the manufacture of cheese and in 1895 built a cheese factory at Petrolia which uses the milk of 25o
Christian E. Harms, son of Christian, was born in Hanover, Germany. in 1857. In 1869, the family came to this country
and settled in Amity. Christian E. married Sarah, daughter of Charles Lapp. an early settler of Hume. He has resided
in Scio since 1889, has been highway commissioner several terms, and has 5 children. Christian's children were
August, who resides in Amity, is a farmer; Henry, a bootmaker in Allegany; Dora (Mrs. C. H. Gallman of Wellsville);
Lena (dec.); and Christian E. Christian Harms and wife reside in Wellsville.
Thomas Fitz Simmons, a native of Yates Co., settled in the west part of this town about 1820 on the farm owned
by James Culbert. He married Susanna Miller and they had 11 children. Batman Fitz Simmons, their son, born in Yates
Co. in 1803, married Sophia Sortore and had 12 children. He settled in Amity, where he was supervisor for several
years. He was also a justice of the peace in Amity some 25 years, also one of our first common school teachers
as well as a music teacher. He was a shoemaker and a farmer. He died in Michigan.
Elias Harris, son of Benjamin and Polly (Bennett) Harris, was born in Fulton, N. Y., Feb. 16, 1831. When he was
a small boy his father removed to Broome Co. Elias commenced his business career by making shooks at Addison. In
1856 he came to Scio where he established shook manufacturing and conducted it for 20 years, sometimes employing
5o men. He has also been in trade in Michigan, has been engaged in merehandising and as an oil operator and producer.
In 1856 he married Ada, daughter of John Mead, of Binghamton, and has 2 children, Frederick F. and Edwin A. Mrs.
Harris died in 1874. The E. Harris banking place was established at Scio village in 1888 by Elias Harris, who purchased
the business of J. H. Clark. President. E. Harris; cashier, F. F. Harris.
Charles M. Marvin, a native of Connecticut, came with his father to Scio and settled there when but a lad. Here
he married Ann Knight. They had 2 children. His second wife was Frances Cottrell, who had 3 children. He formed
a partnership with John Russell and they had a store and a sawmill and owned a large amount of timber land. C.
M. Marvin went to Wisconsin to look after their timber, and he established a State Bank at Sun Prairie. When the
war broke out he moved to Peekskill, and after the war he located in Alfred and had a private bank for some years,
and later was in the banking business in Belmont. In 1882 he moved to Wellsville where he died in 1886.
William Middaugh, son of Abram, was born in Dryden, Dec. 19, 1851, and came to Scio in 1819. When a boy he used
to boil sap in large kettles, and he fell into one of them full of boiling sap and was badly burned. He worked
for $8 per month and paid for a farm. He married Abigail Norton, they had 7 children. Mr. Middaugh was interested
in the Pennsylvania oil field. He married for his second wife Jane D. Clark. She had 4 children. He died Aug. 22,
1881. William C. Middaugh, son of William, was born Feb. 24, 1867. Be married Teresa O'Connor and resides on the
old farm. He is a farmer and oil producer.
Isaac Miles, a native of Connecticut, when a boy removed to Rathbone, Steuben county, and subequently lived in
Belfast for several years. In 1 868 he moved to Scio. He was supervisor and justice of the peace in Belfast. He
was, engaged in lumbering and in the oil business and amassed a large fortune. His wife was Julia A. Cable. Mr.
Miles died Nov. 22, 1892.
Harry Nickerson. a native of Brainbridge, came to Scio about 1830. His avocation was that of a raftsman. He married
Phebe Pettis. They had 4 children. He died in January, 1848. William H. Nickerson, son of Harry and Phebe (Pettis)
Nickerson, was born Sept. 21. 1821. He was but a lad when his father came to Scio and located on a farm south of
the village. He occupied this farm for a few years after his father's death, then purchased the old Palmer place.
He married Sarah A. Wilber, their son Charles lives in Olean.
William L. Norton, son of Ebenezer, was born April 15, 1809, in Hartford, N. Y. He was educated in the common schools.
In 1832 he married Esther E. Dwinell and had 6 children. In 1833 he came to Allegany county and alter passing a
year in Belmont and Friendship engaged in farming and lumbering, he came to Scio April r4, 1834, and settled on
the farm where he resided until his death in March, 1895. He cut the first tree on his place and built his log
house, then cieared his farm, and added to his ownership in land until he had a fine farm of about 400 acres. Mr.
Norton held the office of highway commissioner one term. He was much interested in the progress of the M. E. Church
and aided largely in building the first one in town. He and his family gave $1,250 toward the Knight's Creek M.
E. church. Mr. Norton was extensively engaged in lumbering in early life. Mrs. Norton was a hearty co-operator
in all of her husband's church work. She died in March, 1895. Ebenezer J. Norton, son of William L. and Esther
E. (Dwinell) Norton, was born on the old homestead in Scio, Jan. 17, 1840. His common school education was supplemented
by a course of civil engineering at Alfred University and with farming, this has been his business. He has been
justice of the peace 20 years, supervisor many years and has served as chairman of the board. In 1875 he married
Mary, daughter of John Holton, and has z children, William L. and Marion G. Lucius E. Norton, son of Win. L., was
born Aug. 16, 1844, married Emmer Duke, and has 3 children. He is a farmer and has always resided on the old homestead.
William Ockerman, son of William, was born in Nichols, Jan. 8, 1843. In 1858 he came to Scio and worked on a farm.
In 1861 he enlisted in Co. G, 64th Regt. N. Y. S. V. and served one year when he was discharged on account of sickness.
Mr. Ockerman was commander of Hakes Post, No. 261. February 24, 1868, he married Adaline, daughter of Calvin and
Hannah (Allen) Hall. They have one daughter, Minnie. Calvin Hall, son of Jesse, was born July 17, 1817. The family
moved to Alfred at an early day, and Calvin married Hannah Allen. Of their 3 children 2 are living, Emma, wife
of Dwight Sparks, and Adaline, Mrs. William Ockerman. Mr. Hall moved to Scio in 1866, and died there Oct. 20, 1872.
Mrs. Hall died Mar. 13, 1890.
Mahlon J. Peterson, son of John, was born Mar. 28, 1834. In 1859 he married Harriet N., daughter of Rev. William
Austin. Their children are Elenie (Mrs. Miles Hardy). Gertrude and Marion A. In August, 1863, he enlisted in Co.
F, Fifth N. Y. Cavalry and was discharged July 25, 1865. October 19,1864, he was wounded four times at the battle
at Fisher's Hill. At that time he captured a rebel flag, and for that meritorious service he received a 30 day's
furlough, and a gold medal from Abraham Lincoln. After the war Mr. Peterson returned to Wirt and engaged in farming.
In 1889 he located in Scio. Rev. William Austin, son of Luther, was a native of Belmont. He was a Wesleyan Methodist
minister. He married Sallie A. Ketchum. Of their 5 children only Harriet (Mrs. Peterson) is living. Mr. Austin
died in 1876, his wife in 1881.
James A Reese, son of John and Betsey (Ellis) Reese was born in Dansville. In 1872 he married Sarah, daughter
of Asa and Mary (Lewis) Hammond of Angelica, and settled in Scio They have a daughter. Ida May. In 1877 he was
engaged in the oil business at Duke Center, and in 1881 went to Allentown and was also in the hardware business
with B. Palmer. He, drilled one of the first wells in the town. Reese & Palmer continued there until 1886,
when they sold out and went to Salamanca, where they were in trade 2 years. Mr. Reese returned to Scio and the
farm where he now resides. In 1885 he represented his party, the Democratic, as a supervisor in Alma. In 1891 he
was a candidate for supervisor of Scio on the Peoples' ticket and was beaten by 7 votes. In 1894 he was candidate
for county clerk.
Nelson Reynolds, son of Garner, was born in 1840. He married Mary J., daughter of Washington and Grace (Apsey)
Dodge, settled in the town of Ward, but subsequently located in Scio. He was a farmer and lumberman. He died in
1880, his wife in 1880. They had 4 children, Arthur, died young, Elba A. who is a cheesemaker, Grace V. and Ardell.
John Simons. son of John, was born in Dryden in 1816. When 9 years old his father moved to Amity and settled near
Scio. He married Sarah Bellamy and had z children, John B. and Charles A. Mr. Simons died in 1863, his son, John
B., in 1864. His widow resides in Scio. Charles A. Simons, V. S., was born in June, 1849, studied medicine with
Dr. T. F. Major, kept a drug store in 1877-8 at Ceres. He then commenced practice as a veterinary surgeon, and
after 3 years in Wheeling, W. Va., and 3 years in Alliance, Ohio, he settled in 1887 in Scio where he is yet in
practice. In 1870 he married Kate J. Hawley of Ceres. Silas Bellamy one of the early settlers, was a native of
Connecticut, came here early, married Betsey Knight and died in 1836.
Curtin Smith, a native of Delhi, married Aurelia Gillett, in 1820 went to Gainesville, in 1822 he became a pioneer
settler of Wirt. They had t t children. In 1839 he returned to. Gainesville where he died Sept. 13, 1867. His wife
died Oct. 27, 1866 Isaac Smith, son of Curtin, was born in Delhi, Nov. 18, 1818. In 1840 he married Harriet Collins,
and located on the farm in Wirt. In 1841 he moved to Scio and settled on the farm now owned by him. He has been
a farmer and lumberman. He moved to Scio village in 1867, has been assessor 3 years, poormaster several years.
His children are George W., Miles C. and Stephen E. of Huron, So. Dak. George W. Smith was born Aug. 25. 1841.
He resided with his father until he was 25 and assisted in clearing the farm. In 1866 he married Elan, daughter
of William and Mary (Huntley) Waterbury of Cuba. and settled on a farm in Scio, Their children are Eugene and William.
He later learned the blacksmith trade and is now engaged in business in Scio village. Miles C. Smith was born in
Gainesville, June 22, 1847. In 1867 his father went to Scio village and established him in trade, and he now has
a general dry goods and grocery store. In 1877 he married Mary C., daughter of Isaac and Sarah (Whiting) Gillett.
He has been supervisor of the town 3 years, town clerk for 5 years, and notary public for several years.
Joseph Knight, the pioneer settler of. Scio, a native of Worcester county, Mass., came from Oneida Co. in 1805,
purchased his farm, cut the first timber and made his log house. He married Sarah Stewart. They had 4 sons and
4 daughters. Mr. Knight died in 1829. His son, Samuel, who was about 14 years old when he came with his father
to Scio, experienced all the labors and privations of the pioneer. He married Sallie Millard and had 8 children.
He died in 1852, and his wife in 1875. Bradley Knight, son of Samuel and Sallie (Millard) Knight, was born July
18, 1829. He married Minerva Brown, and has two children, Ella (Mrs. John Canfield), and Gertrude. Mr. Knight resides
on the farm that his father purchased.
William Wright was born in Yorkshire, England, May 16, 1788. He emigrated to America when a young man, passed a
few years in the Mohawk Valley, and there married Elizabeth Reynolds. About 1820 he came to Belvidere, and was
an overseer for Philip Church, with his residence in the White House. In 1827 he purchased a farm in Scio, settled
on Knight's Creek, and was also engaged in lumbering. He had a family of 11 children. He died in 1854, his wife
in 1873. Robert Wright, second son of William and Elizabeth (Reynolds) Wright, was born in the White House at Belvidere,
May 10, 1823, and came to Scio when a child. He married Catharine Welch, they had 6 children, of whom only 2 survive,
George R. and Alice E. (Mrs. F. H. Langworthy). Mrs. Wright died in 1870, and Mr. Wright married Nancy Middaugh.
Their children are: Arthur S. (dec), Edmund E., J. Stanley, Wilton M. and Edith. He has been engaged in lumbering
and farming, assessor 6 years and highway commissioner for 3 years, and resides 3 miles from Scio on the farm on
Knight's Creek which he has occupied since 1847. The family are members of the M. E. Church. William Wright, son
of William, was born in Scio in 1834. He married Martha L., daughter of Thomas Lewis. He had 2 children, Walter
B. and Cora M. He was a farmer and lived on the old homestead where his children now live. He died Feb. 22, 1890,
and his wife died March 2, 1894. John Wright, oldest son of William, Sr., was born May to. 1819, in Montgomery
Co., and came to this county with his parents. He married Clarissa Welch and had 5 children, z are living, Freelove
(Mrs. G. E. Babcock), and Josephine (Mrs. Albert Babcock). Mrs. John Wright died in March, 1884. Mr. John Wright
has been a farmer and lumberman, assessor 6 years, and justice of the peace 4 years. The brothers John and Robert
are now the oldest residents on Knight's Creek.
John S. Wright, son of McCarty Wright, was born in Thurston. Steuben county, April 10, 1853. In 1875 he married
Belle, daughter of Isaac M Saunders of Rathbone. Their children are Isaac M., Charles E. and Mabel S. In 1877 he
removed to Scio, where he has since resided. In 1886 he engaged in the oil producing business with Isaac Miles.
In 1894 he sold out his interest in the oil business. Mr. Wright was road commissioner in 1886-7-8, and was elected
assessor in 1893.
BENJAMIN M. VINCENT.
The Vincent family is among the ancient ones of the Christian era, dating back
at least as far as the third century, for just at its close, in 304, is fixed the date of the martyrdom of St Vincentius,
the Latin form of the name. From that time devotion to religious principle appears inherent in the family. Paul
de Vincent, a Catholic saint of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, was a zealous propagandist, founder of
the Brotherhood of Lazarites, and also of the world renowned organization of "Sisters of Charity." The
name also appears in the south of France among the Huguenots who by persecution were driven from their country
for their adherence to their religion. From that early day every generation seems to have its representatives in
law, literature or religion, and prominent among the religious leaders of the present day is found Chancellor John
H. Vincent, the distinguished bishop of the Methodist Episcopal church, whose name is inseparably linked with the
development of the farfamed Chautauqua movement and University. The earliest members of the Vincent family in America
were Adrian Vincent, a passenger from London in 1634 in the Mary and John; Humphrey, of Cambridge in 1634, of Ipswich
in 1638; John, of Lynn, who removed to Sandwich at its early settlement, representative "in 1639 and six years
after;" John, of New Haven, in 1639; Nicholas, of Manchester, in 1679; Philip, "a gentleman of ancient
family in the south of Yorkshire" came to New England, and probably saw actual service in the Pequot war,
as, after its termination, he published in London in 1638 "The true Relation of the late Battle Fought in
N. E. between the English and the Pequot salvages;" William, who in 1651 had a grant of land at New London,
which he did not improve, but was at Providence in May, 1666. This last is perhaps the ancestor of the Rhode Island
and Connecticut families, members of whom were early settlers along the Hudson. The first of this family in Allegany
was Joshua Vincent, who, in 1808, brought his family from Petersburg in Rensselaer Co., and, as an early settler,
made a permanent home in Almond and Alfred among the "Seventh Day people, in whose religious faith he joined.
He had a taste for mechanics and operated a carding mill a short distance below "Baker's Bridge." He
had two sons, David and Joshua, of whom David came when but a child from Petersburg to Almond alone on horseback.
From thenceforth he lived in Almond, was for years a confidential employee of Hon. Clark Crandall, and died, when
68, on the farm his labor had developed from the wild land that he located. His wife survived him only from November
to February He married Freegift, daughter of Christopher and Lois (Coon) Saunders. Their children were Christopher,
Amelia (Mrs. Russell Burdick), David, Lois, Abigail (Mrs. Tunis Van Antwerp), Orrin, Eli (died from wounds received
in the battle of Gettysburg), Benjamin Morrill, Albert, John C., Joseph, Eleanor (Mrs Philetus Andrews), Nathan,
Jane (Mrs. Alonzo Rogers), Mary (Mrs. Henry Stillman), Susan (Mrs John Cottrell).
Benjamin Morrill Vincent was born on the family homestead in Almond, Dec. 16, 1831. Until he came of age his life
was passed in farm labor and in attendance at the common schools. After he became a voter he worked one year "by
the month," then, March 30, 1854, married Sarah, daughter of Jesse and Angelina (Sims) Ferrin, whose father
was a native of Grafton Co., New Hampshire. Mr. and Mrs. Vincent resided in Almond until in the fall of 1857, he
purchased the sixty five acres on lot 1 in Scio, which has since been their permanent home. Removing thither Jan.
7, 1858, they here made the nucleus of the present holdings. The small acreage first purchased here by diligence,
industry, thrift and business acumen was increased to 225 acres in the home lot, while Mr. Vincent, at his death,
February 13, 1896, owned 2,765 acres in this state, Michigan and Kansas, 200 acres of which are in the Allegany
oil field. Mr. Vincent's diligence, thrift and practical common sense were active factors in transforming the forest
wilds into well tilled fields. He enjoyed the quiet, rural pioneer life, and it is to be noted that his love of
home and its surroundings was a large element in his generous nature, he finding his keenest enjoyment in the home
atmosphere, surrounded by his little family, and in the entertainment of his many friends. In 1883 oil was found
on his land, and from the royalty derived from the numerous wells drilled on his property he acquired bountiful
wealth. But its acquisition never changed the unpretentious nature of the man, nor chilled his sympathy with all
forms of distress or suffering. He remained through life the same loyal friend, devoted husband, loving father
and exemplary citizen. He was a Republican from 1856 and an adherent to the religion of his fathers. He was not
desirous of nor called to prominent official places, but in the positions of trust and influence held in the town
where he lived and died he earned the good opinion of all. Such a life, simple and uneventful as it may appear
to be, has a value not easily measured. Two children claim this honored couple as parents. Charles F. (See Courts
and Lawyers), and James Albert, who married Myrtie, daughter of Oliver Norton, has one child, resides in Allentown
and is an oil operator.
CAPT JOHN EMORY MIDDAUGH.
It is nearly four score years since the Middaugh family has had foothold on the
soil of "Grand Old Allegany." In 1819, so saith the historian, a settlement was made on what has since
been known as Middaugh Hill by John Middaugh, others of the family soon following The Middaughs are of Dutch ancestry,
some of the family emigrated to New Jersey and New York from Amsterdam, Holland, before the Revolution. In the
early part of this century we find them in Dryden, Tompkins Co., and there Elijah, a son of Abraham, was born.
He came to Scio in 1826 and located on the farm now owned by his son, John Emory Middaugh. The Middaughs cut the
first road from the Genesee river to their land, and made the first clearings on their farms. The father of Elijah
came a few years later and passed the remainder of his life on the farm with his son. Mr. Middaugh married Louisa
Noble, and 6 sons and 2 daughters were born to them. Henry C., who resides at Clarendon Hills, Ill., is the owner
of a farm of 400 acres; William N. who enlisted in Co. C, 67th Regt. N. Y. V., and was mortally wounded at Spottsylvania,
Va., and died at Fredericksburg, Va., May 20, 1864; John E.; Fletcher D., who was killed by a stroke of lightning,
May 30. 1859; Lester F., who resides in Elk Co., Pa.; one who died in infancy; Marion B. (Mrs. L. D. Stowell of
Black Creek); and Susan P. (Mrs. Horace Noble of Erie. Pa.). Elijah Middaugh died Oct. 17, 1872 and his wife Jan.
Capt. John Emory Middaugh, third son of Elijah and Louisa (Noble) Middaugh, was born Jan. 20, 1838, in Scio. He
was educated at Friendship Academy and Alfred University, and had the novel experience of teaching school in the
Indian Territory with Creeks and Cherokees for his pupils. The black clouds of the threatening war had hardly obscured
the sky of our peace when Mr. Middaugh offered his services in his country's defense, and April 25. 1861, enlisted
in Co. C. 67th Regt. N. Y. V. and was elected second sergeant. He was wounded at the battle of Fair Oaks, Va.,
and by order of Gen. Abercrombie was promoted to second lieutenant. In January. 1863, he was promoted to a first
lieutenantcy and transferred to Co. K, and placed in command. May 6, 1864, he was wounded at the battle of the
wilderness. and at the battle at Fredericksburg he led his company and made a successful charge. Mr. Middaugh participated
in 23 engagements, was a loyal and brave soldier and received his honorable discharge from service July 4, 1864,
with rank of first lieutenant. He was appointed captain in Hancock's Veteran Reserve Corps, Jan. 5, 1865.
"Not in his battles won,
Tho' long the well-fought fields may keep their name,
But in the wide world's sense of duty done,
The gallant soldier finds the meed of fame."
Mr. Middaugh returned to his home in Scio, and Jan. 5, 1868, married Elizabeth S., a daughter of John Gorton. She
was graduated from Alfred University in 1862. They have three children, John E. Jr., and Henry G., both lawyers,
located in Buffalo. and Annie, a graduate of the Geneseo Normal School in class of 1895. Mr. Middaugh was one of
the organizers of Hakes Post, No. 261, G. A. R., of Scio, and was its first commander, holding that office 5 years.
He has held the elective offices of justice of the peace and assessor. He is a member of Allegany Lodge F. &
A. M., of Friendship. He was an oil operator for some years, and now conducts his fine farm, Maplehurst, of 430
acres, where he has a most enjoyable home. He is now vice president of The Allegany County Farmers' Co-operative
Fire Insurance Company and one of its directors.