BY JOHN S. MINARD.
THE town of Allen, named in honor of the hero of Ticonderoga, was formed. from
Angelica, Jan. 31, 1823. Its population in 1860 was 991; in 1870, 794; in 1880, 818; in 1890, 717; in 1892, 728.
As created Allen comprised all of township five, range two, of Morris Reserve, the west half of township five,
range.one, of same tract, and in addition, the six northeast lots of the last mentioned township (present Birdsall).
By act of May 4, 1829, the Birdsall part was set off and since that time the town has remained as now defined,
being township five, range two, and has an area of 22,764 acres. It was embraced in the 100,000 acre Church Tract,
and settlement was begun before the subdivision of the town was made, which was done in the fall of 1810 or spring
of 1811 by Major Moses Van Campen. Its surface is generally hffly upland, broken into ridges by Baker's, Wigwam,
Plum and Rush creeks. The hills in some cases reaching an altitude of 600 or 700 feet above the lowest valleys.
The soil is in most part clayey, underlaid with hardpan, while gravelly loam is shown in some of the valleys. Beech,
maple, basswood, elm, pine, hemlock, oak and cherry were the leading kinds of timber found by the first white visitors.
Local historians without exception have ascribed to James Wilson, who emigrated from Ireland in 1804, the honor
of making the first settlement in this town in 1806. While this may be true as to the fact of actual settlement,
it is quite possible that Robert Barr preceded him in his advent into this wilderness, as Major Van Campen, in
his notes of lot 61, begins at "a cherry post standing in a lot of land surveyed for Robert Barr the 12th
day of August, 1805," which post stood on the south line of the township. This was, in all probability, the
first piece of land surveyed for anybody in the town of Allen. whether first to be occupied or not. Mr. Wilson
had stopped for a short time at Geneva and Angelica, but in 1806 "took up" the farm on Baker's creek,
which he cleared up and upon which he spent the remainder of his life. His son, the late Col. William Wilson, so
well and favorably known by our county people, achieved an enviable position in town and county, becoming a member
of the legislature, where he demonstrated his fitness for the position and served his constituents faithfully.
It is said he was the first white child born in Allen, making his appearance Jan. 10, 1810. Joseph G. Wilson, another
son of James, is still living on the state road, and is postmaster at the State Road postoffice. This postoffice
was established in March, 1881, with Jesse L. Whiteman, postmaster. He was succeeded by Mr. Wilson Dec. 10, 1883.
Shortly after Mr. Wilson's appearance in the woods of Allen, came Robert Barr, who also located on Baker's creek,
and only a little later Archibald Taylor located in the southeastern part on lot 54. He was also a native of Ireland,
living for a short time in New York.
Robert McBride was one of the earlier settlers in the eastern part of the town, taking up land on lot 39, in the
neighborhood of the "Tracy Place" (later). His purchase is mentioned by Van Campen in his notes. It was
this Robert McBride who once set a trap for a bear, which he suspected of prowling about the neighborhood. Upon
visiting the place where the trap was set it was gone; abundant evidence was left however of his bearship having
been caught, and of the struggle which followed in pulling the trap away from its fastening. For a wonder it so
happened that no gun was at hand; so, providing himself with a heavy hoe-handle, and, taldng a sack of cakes. he
started in quest of bruin, followed by some of his and his neighbor Wilson's children, who were greatly excited
and wanted to see the sport. They found no trouble in tracking the bear. and vame up with him still lugging the
trap. McBride and the bear met and a fight ensued. It was "short, sharp and decisive," and the bear quickly
succumbed, "For," said McBride, "I give him about a dozen right over the head, I did! I did!"
Supervisors from 1823 to 1895.- James Wilson, 1823-24-25-26-27-30-31 ; Silas F. Littlejohn, 1828-29; John W. Stuart,
1832 33-35-36-37-44-46-49-54; Ege Pierson, 1834; James Wilson, Jr., 1838-39-40; Erastus Walker, 1841; Wm. Wilson,
1842-43-63-64-65; James Wilson, Jr., 1845; James Armstrong, 1847-48; E. B. Winans, 1850-51; Reuben W. Bottsford,
1852; Wm. Franklin, 1853; Luzon VanNostrand, 1855-56-71-72; H. B. Burt, 1857-58- 69-70-73-77-86-90; A. P. Smith,
1859-60; Eber Seely, 1861-62; Robt. R. Seely, 1866-67; J. H. Rutherford, 1868-74-75-76; V. Q. Smith, 1878-80; I.
L. Fisk. 1879; James C. Burr, 1881-82; Tunis Cole, 1883-84; E. W. Botsford. 1885-87; N. C. Fisk, 1888-89; John
A. Jones, 1891-92; H. J. Achilles, 1893-94-95.
The present town officers are: Henry J. Achilles, supervisor; Geo. W. Davis, town clerk; John Gans, William Scholes,
Burt Pitt, assessors; William Vincent, overseer of poor; John Yager, highway commissioner; John A. 'Jones. Melvin
Webster, Ernest Herke, justices; Eugene Crandall, collector; William Swyer, Eugene Crandall, constables; William
Galirnan, Ira Merritt. William Laurie, Michael Lenahen, inspectors of election.
Religion.- The first religious
services in Allen were conducted by Rev. Robert Hubbard in 1821, and it was mainly through his efforts that a Presbyterian
church was organized in 1826, Rev. James H. Hotchkin author of "Hotchkin's History of Western New York,"
assisting. There were only ten original members, and it was received into the Presbytery of Bath October 4th of
that year, and, on the organization of the Presbytery of Angelica, it was transferred to that body. In 1829 40
members were reported; in 1836 there were 100 members, and in 1846 only 50. Rev. Samuel Sessions was installed
pastor Feb. 26, 1840, and dismissed in July, 1841, the only instance in which the church had a regularly installed
pastor. Rev. Moses Hunter, Rev. Silas Hubbard, Rev. Loring Brewster, Rev. John M. Biar, and Rev. Mr. Andrews at
different times served. as supplies. It is stated by some that the once quite renowned evangelist, Augustus Littlejohn,
had considerable to do with this church. It is certain that he at one time held a revival there. The erection of
a house of worship was some years subsequent to the organization of the church, and during its early years meetings
were held in the primitive schoolhouse or in private houses, as that was the custom which prevailed in those days.
The public houses were often opened for worship, services being held in the ballroom, where such a room existed.
This church entirely disbanded previous to 1851 when it was re-organized as a Congregational society, with a membership
of 64. A German Lutheran Society having been organized, the building was sold to it in 1868. A few years later
it was sold to the town, and is now used for town-meetings, elections, caucuses, etc.
About 1844 a Methodist class of fifteen members was formed, and, in 1849, a church edifice was built which cost
about $1,500 and was capable of seating 300 persons. The class was connected with the Methodist church at Angelica.
A class was formed on the Peavey road about 1848, and in 1862 a church edifice was erected costing about $700.
seating 200 persons. The pulpit was supplied by 'the Angelica pastor.
There is a Baptist church on the Peavey road, the society being organized in 1847, the edifice being erected in
1858. For a number of years the pulpit was supplied by a resident pastor. Afterwards the pastor of the Baptist
church at Belfast supplied the pulpit. At present there is only occasional preaching service; no Sabbath school
The Methodist Episcopal church in West Allen has no services, and now forms a part of the Angelica charge. In the
eastern part of the town and at Aristotle occasional services are held in the schoolhouses. Some attend church
at Short Tract, while others go to Angelica.
The only organized church society in Allen at present is the German Lutheran at Allen Centre. Rev. Mr. Buch of
Wellsville is the pastor, preaching once in three weeks.
John Mullender, one of the first, if not indeed the very first county treasurer, is also mentioned in Van Campen's
notes as having commenced operations on lots 30 and 35, on territory included in the farm of the late Henry Burt.
It is doubtful however as to his ever being an actual resident of the town, as he was an early resident of Angelica
vifiage. About 1815 came the Peaveys. a whole "lot "of them: Joshua, Nehemiah, Joseph, Isaac, Ichabod
and John, every one with a scripture name, and settled in the southwest part of the town giving the name to the
"Peavey Road," upon which they settled. To-day not a man of the name of Peavey is to be found in the
town. The Tellers and MeCoons were settlers at an early day. Teller, the father of Senator H. M. Teller, of Colorado,
soon after took up his residence in the adjoining town of Granger. In 1817 Erastus Walker from Vermont came driving
a team all the way loaded with household effects and articles necessary for use in the pioneer life to which he
had resolved to apply himself. Chester Roach, one Otto and a Lefever began at the Center in 1817, and a widow Armstrong
about the same time settled in the southern part, Mrs. Armstrong in 1827 opened the first hotel kept in town. This
was near the south line of the town. In 1820 George Glover settled in the southwest part of the town, and Daniel
Baldwin bought Otto out in 1820 or 1821. In 1822 Joseph Jennings from Massachusetts took up a farm on Baker's Creek,
in the south-central part, still or quite lately occupied by his descendants. The Walkers, Joseph, Jonathan and
Robert, also from Massachusetts, settled in the east part the same year. Asher Miner from Norfolk, Conn., settled
in the southwest part in 1824, building the first sawmill on Wigwam Creek the next year (the first one in town,
however, was built by Moses Treat on Baker's Creek in 1820), and his brother Martin settled a little east of the
Center about the same time.
In 1826 the Willison brothers, James and Samuel, and Mrs. Burthwick, with sons George, James, Robert, John and
William, and three daughters, came from Cayuga county and made a settlement in the western part. At the time there
was scarcely a road in the western part of the town. Joshua Smith, also a Cayuga man, settled about the same time
in the western part. Andrew Clark from Sullivan county, settled a little north of the Center in 1827. John and
Ruel Hooker from Angelica, also came the same year, settling west of the Center, and Abram Post from Angelica,
took up a farm in the extreme southwest corner of the town, and resided there the rest of his life. Thomas Cole
and Robert M. King from Steuben county settled in the west part in 1828, and Henry Light and Austin Manley from
Oayuga county came to the same part the same year. Henry Burt from Springfield, Mass. also came in 1828, locating
in the central part. This same year brought Jared Atwater, Uriah Cook and Solomon Woodworth from Cato, Cayuga county,
and so Cayuga county did a large part in. settling the town of Allen. In 1829 Conrad Benjamin from Berkshire county,
Massachusetts, settlen just east of the Center, but remained there but a short time, removing to the northeast
part of the town, where he purchased a farm upon which he ever after resided. In 1832 James Crandall from Trumansburg
settled at the center of the town. When D. C. Grummond from Hume, bought a large farm of Judge Church in 1851 and
moved to it, he found on lot 41 a clearing of about 100 acres, which had been abandoned, and grown up to bushes.
This clearing was made by an early settler by the name of Cole or Cowles or a successor, or both of them, the successor
having become discouraged allowed the place to "go back to the office." Ege Pierson settled north of
the Center a little ways, about 1827, on the Short Tract road. W. E. Pierson of Fillmore is his son.
In the spring of 1834 Seth Post from Steuben county, it is believed, erected a sawmill in the extreme northwest
part of the town. No road had been opened down the creek to the river, and the mill-irons and. fixtures were hauled
in by following the creek as best they could, for some part of the way the conveyors thereof taking their way up
the bed of the stream. The mill was one of the old regulation "flutter-wheel" variety and the cranh was
of wrought iron. Mr. Post was an enterprising man and induced a man by the name of Slusser to put in a carding
and fulling mill just below the sawmill, taking the water with a flume from the same dam. This building was three
stories high. It was afterward devoted to the manufacture of wooden half-bushel and other measures and dinner boxes,
by R. W. Botts ford. A man from Pike by the name of Adams once made pumps there. In the third story of that building
was taught the first school in the district by Ruth Jacobs from Granger, she receiving the enormous sum of seventy-five
cents per week for her services! She afterward became the wife of Mr. E. C. Bottsford, who furnishes these items.
Charles Felt once manufactured bedsteads at the "Hollow." Mr. Post ran the sawmill but a short time,
when he sold out to Joseph Platt, an enterprising merchant and lumberman of Short Tract, who soon after sold it
to R. W. Bottsford, who for years drove quite a business in lumbering at this place. On the occasion of a big flood
a few years after the sawmffl, carding mill, and bridge were all swept away. A new sawmffl was soon put up the
bed pieces being securely bolted to the rock, and to-day, although the mill has been for years abandoned and the
dam has entirely disappeared, those timbers keep their places. It may be stated here that the first bridge, spanning
the creek where the present iron one by the old mill is located, was built by Mr. E. C. Bottsford for and he made
$2 per day on the job. The first school in the town was taught, teacher's name not known, near the south line in
John Franklin came from Brookfleld, Madison county, and settled in Allen about 1844. Sons of his are Wm. M. of
Angelica. and Julius E. of Fillmore. Wm. M. Rutherford, from Steuben county, settled about 1845 on the State Road,
from which place he soon after removed to the Short Tract road a little south of the "Center." He was
a successful farmer and good business man. Jos. H. Rutherford of Angelica is a son. Wm. Manning settled on lot
21 in 1842. Edward Manning, his son, occupies the old place, and is an enterprising, wide-awake thrifty farmer.
it is said that in the early days a pottery was carried on here. The business was abandoned and the building gone
to ruin as early as 1825. The names of those who conducted the enterprise have been lost. Tinware being extremely
high-priced and scarce at that time, the coarse earthen-ware pans here made were doubtless used by many farmers
The people of Allen are devoted 'to farming and the dairy interests, the town being essentially an agricultural
community. In the days when wool brought good prices Allen was one of the leading towns in the county in sheep
husbandry, it being peculiarly adapted to that industry. Since the decline in wool and the introduction of the
cheese factory system of dairying, sheep have almost entirely disappeared and cows have taken their place. At present
the principal revenue of the town is received from the sale of cheese, veal calves and hay.
Cheese Factories.- The first cheese
factory in town was known as the Elmer factory, taking is name from the well-known Rushford cheese manufacturer,
C. J.. Elmer, the original promoter of the enterprise. It was constructed by a stock company, and was located on
the Henry Burt farm in West Allen, and was afterwards known as the Burt factory. It was destroyed by fire in 1891.
The second factory built was the Fisk cheese factory in 1874, owned for several years by I. L. Fisk. It was destroyed
by fire in 1880, re-built, and is now owned by A. Perry of Belfast. Mr. Hoag is part owner, manager and cheese
maker. This is in the southwest part of the town. The third was the Keystone, near the south line of the town,
at the junction of Short Tract and State Roads. This was built by J. P. Worden, owned for some years and greatly
improved by M. H. Crofoot, now owned and conducted by John R. LaMonte. The fourth one built was the West Bill factory,
put up by a stock company, but now owned by James McMurtry. It is situated near the west line of the town. The
fifth in order of erection was the Empire factory on the State Road near the State Road P. O. It is owned by Fred
R. Piatt and H. E. Osgood. The sixth and last one built was the Piatt factory at the foot of Basswood hill. When
the Burt factory was burned in 1891 (which has never been re-built), Fred R. and Lyman A. Piatt immediately set
themselves at the work of erecting this factory, and in 25 days the establishment was ready for business. It is
still owned and managed by the Piatt Bros., and is doing a good business, which is conducted by them in such a
manner as to equal in point of excellence of product and advantageous sales any factory in the county. There are
now in operation in 'the town five factories. They are all well managed and are the source of considerable income
to their patrons. The milk from about 2,000 cows is received daily at these factories, and the fair estimated returns
per cow cannot be much less than $45 per season or $90,000 in the aggregate.
Of late years the "veal-calf" business has been quite an important industry; a good "veal"
four weeks old bringing from $4.50 to $8.50. In 1894 there were about 800 "veals" sent from this town
to New York City and other markets. The dairy industry at present is to Allen what sheep husbandry was from 1860
Allen has four post offices; Allen and State Road on the State Road, West Allen and Aristotle in the south part
of the town. In former days there were a number of public houses. The stage road from Angelica to Dansville ran
through the southeast part and the State and Short Tract roads were largely travelled, and strangers could find
entertainment "for man and beast" at quite frequent intervals along those roads. But since railroads
have been constructed and stage lines abandoned there was no need for the wayside inn. The demand ceased and the
inn keeper's occupation was gone. To-day Allen has not a public house. Neither are there any stores. There is no
lawyer, nor has there ever been one in the town and doctors seem to be averse to locating there. It is in fact
a remarkably "healthy" town.
April 1, 1823 was held the first town meeting. It elected for officers: James Wilson, supervisor; Jeremiah Fuller,
clerk; Henry Cummings, Nathan Overton, John Mahan, assessors; Chester Roach, collector; Calvin Cole, Chester Roach,
F. Scott, Jacob Biass, constables; Jona. Walker and Damon Bryant, overseers of the poor; Chester Roach, Calvin
Cole, Rial Thompson, commissioners of highways; Manasseh French, Sylvester Rounds, John P. Van Allen, commissioners
of common schools; Levi S. Littlejohn, Silas Littlejohn, inspectors of common schools; Levi Littlejohn, Jeremiah
Fuller, justices of the peace.
At this first town meeting, it was "resolved that any inhabitant of this town who shall permit a Canada thistle
to go to seed on his farm, shall be liable to pay a fine of five dollars, to be prosecuted in the name of the supervisor,
one half to the person complaining, the other moity to the town." So the pioneers of Allen started in the
crusade against the Canada thistle in pretty good shape. But it was quite an undertaking, in fact an unequal contest
The resolution was probably never enforced to any extent, and Allen is at this time infested with as many Canada
thistles per acre as any of her neighbors. From the book devoted to the record of ear marks it is found that the
practice of marking sheep by slitting, cutting and cropping their ears in a variety of ways (and in some cases
otherwise marking them), began in 1823 and continued until 1856, the last record in the book being: "This
is to certify that I have transferred my mark for marking sheep, which is a figure on the left side, to Spencer
White, of Allen, Allegany Co., N. Y. Also a half-penny under the left ear. Allen, May 30, 1856. R. P. St. John,
T. C. In the record for 1826 is introduced an ingenious, unique and novel idea. In the margin opposite each record
is drawn the figure of a sheep's head with especially prominent ears, upon which are shown the marks therein recorded.
The town clerk was Abraham Baldwin. It shows him to have had considerable skill as an artist.
ABOUT SOME OF THE PEOPLE.- Henry
J. Achilles is son of Christopher Achilles, born in Hanover, Germany, i& 1809. where he married Dora Behrens.
Children: Henry J., born in 1847, Elizabeth, Louise. Dora. Carrie and Minnie. Christopher came in 1852 with several
other German families, and paid $4 per acre for 50 of the 208 acres his son Henry now owns. He was a local preacher
in the M. E. church in Caneadea and one of its founders. He died in 1877. Henry J. married Dora Walters, also from
Hanover. Children: Rose, Minnie and Vinnie (twins), and Carl. He was elected supervisor in 1893 and re-elected
in 1894. He has been justice of the peace many years and always a Republican.
Frank Aylor is grandson of Henry Aylor, who came from Germany and was an early settler in Grove, where his son
George, one of a family of eight children, was born, and married Susan, daughter of Michael Isaman, of Granger;
children: Frank, born in 1852; Ellen (Mrs. Charles Isaman), Emma, and Norman G., now on tfle old homestead with
his mother. Frank Aylor came to Allen in 1878 and bought his present farm of 82 acres for $1,600. He built his
barn in 1886 and his house in 1894. He married Louisa, daughter of John Gruber, an old settler in Grove; children:
Minnie, Lawrence, Florence and Ellen.
Frank Bennett is the son of Charles Bennett, one of the seven sons of Henry Bennett of Dorsetshire, England. who
came to Granger about 1831. Charles married Eunice, daughter of Isaac Hatch; children: Emily, Elisha, Eda, Marcia,
Frank, Asa, Allie, Mary J., and Thomas J. Frank was born in 1854. lived on his father's farm in Granger till 1874.
when he went to Illinois. He married Emma Houghtaylen in 1877, passed the next 9 years in Dakota and Nebraska,
returned in 7889, and bought the Wilcox steam sawmill in Granger and moved it to his present farm of 176 acres
in Allen. He now has under one roof a lumber, shingle, heading, planing, and custom feed mill for grinding coarse
grain. The children of Frank and Emma, who was the daughter of Sherill, son of Peter Houghtaylen, of Dutchess Co.,
N. Y., are: Frank V. (died and was buried in Dakota), LeRoy S., Charles A., and Nora E. The first three born in
Lyman E. Chaffee is son of Lyman and Mary (Whipple) Chaffee, who lived in Queensbury, Vt. Their children were Ambrose,
now in Illinois, Sarah A., died in Michigan, Mandana, died in Iowa, Mary, dec., and Lyman E., born in Angelica
in 1845, where his father settled before 7820 and was a deacon of the Baptist church over 40 years. He came to
Allen in 7870, and died in 1882. Lyman E. Chaffee married. 1868, Ann Seeley. Children: Nettie and Kate. The latter,
Mrs. William Freeborn, is now of Akron, Ohio. Mrs. Chaffee died in 1870. and his second wife was Livonia, daughter
of Joel Winship, of Angelica. They have one child, Bruce. Mr. Chaffee bought his farm of 228 acres in 1870 for
$30 per acre. He is also a dealer in live stock, which he ships to New York and Philadelphia. He is a Republican
and has acceptably filled the offices of highway commissioner and justice of the peace.
Jacob C. Closser was son of Rev. Frederick Closser, of the Evangelical church, who was born in Seneca county, married
Lydia Meyer in Northumberland Co., Pa.. and settled in Grove. Children: John, Michael, Jacob C., Jeremiah. Solomon,
Lydia (Mrs. Harrison Phillips), and Catharine (Mrs. Frank Ricketts). Mr. Closser died in Grove in 1865. and Mrs.
Closser in 1889. Jacob C. Closser was born in 1831. He married in 1857 Celestia, daughter of Daniel Bixby (son
of John Bixby of Vermont), in Hornby, Steuben Co. Children: Ella M. (Mrs. Daniel Gelser), Hellen D. (Mrs. John
Sylor, of Granger; children: Alma and Grace), Fred D. (lives in Ohio, married E. Gertrude Dye, one child, Ross),
Grace, Frank (married Lottie Dye, children: Lawrence and Fern), and Emma. and George, now in Ohio with Fred D.
Jacob C. and Celestia M. Closser lived in Grove three years and then bought the farm of 245 acres in Allen on which
Mrs. Closser still lives. Mr. Closser died in 1892, 61 years old.
George N. Cole, son of Thomas and Catharine (Dumont) Cole, and grandson of Tunis Cole, all of New Jersey, was
born in Allen in 1829. Tunis and Thomas first came to Pulteney, Steuben Co., from whence Thomas brought his family
to Allen in 7828, and settled on lot 33, and paid $3 per acre. His children were: Jane, Tunis. Mary A., Dumont,
George N., Thomas J. George N. Cole bought in 1849 the first roo of his present 793 acres for $5 per acre. No trees
had been cut except the best pines, all of which had been stolen. He is a carpenter, and besides clearing his farm,
has put up about fifty buildings. He married, Oct. 20 1855, Mabel J., daughter of Warner Bottsford. They have one
child Ruth B., now Mrs. William H. Swartz, who also has one child, Mabel M. Fall Brook Dairy Farm, owned by Cole
and Swartz, is one of the best equipped dairy farms in the town, located in the northwest part, and containing
300 acres on which they keep 25 cows.
Cyrus Jennings was born in 1813, in Rehoboth, Mass., where lived his father, Joseph, and his grandfather, Nathan
Jennings. Joseph, one of three children, married Mrs. Betsey (Round) Shaw. Children: David, Jonathan, Israel, Cyrus.
Joseph came to Allen in 1822. Cyrus bought in 1834, the first 50 of his 200 acres of land, paying $2.50 per acre.
He married in 1838, Polly A., daughter of Samuel Franklin. Children; Charles (married Mary Selover. Children: Belle,
Lyman and Lydia, twins; Clark, Mary E.. (married first, Henry Stilson. Children: Willie, Mary and Charlie. Second
Ansel Holbrook, one child Belle), Henry, (married Huldah Stanton. Children: Fred, Charles and Eddie). Mr. Jennings'
wife died and his second marriage was in 1855 with Vienna, daughter of Esau Whitney of Burns, whose father, Ezra,
came to Burns from Bellows Falls. Vt., in 1818, and had to go to Avon, Liv. Co., to mill. They have one child,
Martha (Mrs. Andrew Cochran). Mr. Jennings is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the First Baptist church,
Granville Lincoln is grandson of Amaziah Lincoln, of Taunton, Mass. He was of English descent. Howard, one of his
13 children came to Allen in 1837, bought land and moved to Angelica in 1877. He was married in 1839 to Emeline,
daughter of Seth Hart born in 1778, son of James born in 1729. The children of Howard and Emeline were Jason, Granville,
Elvira, Lysander. Granville was born in Allen in 1842 and brought up a farmer, and in 1869 married Clara, daughter
of Harlow and Mary (Hatch) Holliday. of Granger. Isaac Hatch, father of Mrs. Holliday. was born in 1726. son of
Jonathan Hatch, of Connecticut. son of Joseph, and grandson of Joseph of English origin, married in 1741. Granville
and Clara Lincoln's children are Grace, a school teacher, and Hart. The same year of his marriage, Mr. Lincoln
bought 50 acres of his present farm, building his house in 1880. He has been elected on the Republican ticket to
the offices of collector, assessor and highway commissioner.
Edwin Manning, grandson of William, and son of William and Ann (Padbury) Manning, was born in Oxfordshire, Eng.,
in 1838. His sister Jane, born in 1835. married in 1857 Levi Rice of Angelica. Lydia A., the youngest of the three
children, was born in Palmyra, N. Y., in 1842, to which place her father had brought his family from England in
1840 She married John W. Scholes, of Angelica. William Manning came to Allen in 1842 and bought 55 acres of lot
No. 26 at $6 per acre, on which he passed the remainder of his life. Edwin Manning attended the common schools
and became a farmer. He married in 1869, Eliza, daughter of Andrew Scholes of Angelica, whose father, John Scholes
came from Ireland. They have one child, Edith. Mr. Manning has a farm of 275 acres on which he used to keep sheep
but now has a dairy of 18 cows. He has been highway commissioner of Allen four years, and assessor three years.
Varius Quintilius Smith is son of John Smith, one of six children born in Rhode Island, whence their father, John
Smith, brought his family to Allen about 1820. John Smith, Jr., married Susan Upham of Otsego Co., children: Myron,
William, Nancy, (Mrs. James Bennett), Largius F., Claudius, Sardius, Servius, Clarinda, (Mrs. James Cox), and Varius
Q., who was born in 1837. After the common school he attended Friendship Academy for two years and Nunda Literary
Institute. In 1871 he married Mary, daughter of John D. Redmond, of Allen, and settled his present farm on 132
acres. Their two children were Bertha S., (Mrs. E. L. Lyon, of Black Creek; has one child Gertrude I.), and Eda
L., (Mrs. Robert Jerman). Mr. Smith's second marriage was in 1884 to Miss Mary A. Whitbeck. He has been town clerk
of Allen three years, justice of the peace twenty years, and supervisor two years. He has always been a Republican.
Marshal E. Walker is a grandson of Erastus Walker who settled on lot 62 in 1817, driving a span of horses from
Vermont The children of Erastus and Betsy (Porte) Walker, were Adeline, George L., Sarah A., Oscar H. and Dexter.
George L. born in Allen, married Martha, daughter of Benjamin Franklin; children, Marshal E. born in 1843, and
Frank. Marshal E. married in 1864 Hattie Pitt, and bought his present farm of 250 acres in 1870 at $14 per acre.
Their children are: Dexter (married Fannie Bullock), Minnie, Matie, Clyde. Erastus Walker used to carry two bushels
of grain on his back to Mt. Morris to mill, the round trip taking two days. He was supervisor of Allen in 1841.
John Pitt, Mrs. Walker's father, born in Dorsetshire, Eng., married the first white child born in Granger, Olive,
daughter of Elias Smith. Children, Ralph, John, William and Fred, Elizabeth, Emily, Martha, Hattie and Anna. Samuel
Pitt, brother to John Pitt, was a noted Methodist preacher here, and later in Iowa. Mrs. Walker's sister Elizabeth
(Mrs. John Wilcox) established the first prayer meeting and Sabbath school in the county of her residence in Nebraska.
James Wilson came from Ireland to Angelica in 1804 and settled on a farm where the Fair Grounds are now located.
The next year he moved to Allen and was the first settler in the town locating on what is now the Winship farm,
where he died in 1851. His wife, a sister of Robert Ramsey, died Dcc. 31, 1855. Their children were Margaret, Jane,
Robert, James, William, John, Mary, Joseph G. and George. The last 2 are the only survivors. George lives in Cambridge,
Ohio. Joseph G. Wilson was born Aug. 10, 1816. He married first, July 18, 1846, Delilah Sanborn, who died in September,
1870, and second Mrs. Roxy A. Taylor, April 28, 1872. Mr. Wilson has served as justice of the peace and has been
postmaster of State Road since 1883. James Wilson was the first supervisor of Allen, was justice of the peace and
commissioner of highways. He was also supervisor of Angelica.
William Wilson was born in Allen, Jan. 30, 1810 He was the first white child born in the town, and the first person
baptized in the parish of St. Paul's. He was extensively engaged in agriculture, and he made the rearing of fine
blooded stock a specialty. He represented his town on the board of supervisors, and during the session of 1866
he was a member of the assembly, where he served with intelligence and integrity. In 1868 he was stricken with
paralysis, from which he never recovered. During the latter part of his life he passed a portion of each year in
Florida, where he was largely engaged in orange culture. He accumulated an ample fortune. By his will, after providing
liberally for his widow, and making some other bequests, he directed that the balance of his estate be placed in
the hands of trustees to found a school in the village of Angelica, where his residence had been during the latter
portion of his life. The language of the will was: "I hereby direct that the said institution be and remain
in all respects unsectarain and that it shall not be controlled by any church, religious society or denomination
whatever. It is my desire, but not obligatory, that the electors of the corporation of the said village of Angelica
designate a suitable name for said institution, and that the name so designated be borne by said institution forever."
This bequest was $30,000. In accordance with his request the electors of the village voted that the institution
should be called THE WILSON ACADEMY. He died March 8, 1879.