Early and later settlers of Andover, NY
FROM: A Centennial Memorial
History of Allegany County, New York
John S. Minard, Esq. Historian
Mrs. Georgia Drew Andrews, Editor.
W. A. Fergusson & Co., Alfred, N. Y. 1896


Continued from history of Andover, NY.


EARLY AND LATER SETTLERS. - Hiram P. Benton, son of Eden, was born in Franklinville, June 9, 1830. When he was 4 years old his father moved to Livonia, and Hiram resided there until 1852. when he located in Oramel and made his home there until 1864. Then he came to Andover to establish himself as a druggist and continued in trade until 1875, when his health becoming impaired, he was obliged to relinquish active business until 1884, when he became a dealer in coal and lumber. Mr. Benton married in 1860 Hannah B. Spaulding. She died in 1887, and he married second, Ann E. Baldwin. He has been a member of the school board several years, served as town clerk and highway commissioner for a term of years, and is a member of Andover Lodge No. 558 F. & A. M.

Robert R. Boyd, born Sept. 23, 1817, was son of Robert R., a native of Orange county, who came to Andover in 1819 and made the first clearing on the farm on lot 40 still owned by his son, cutting his road from Elm Valley through the woods. Robert R. Boyd, Jr., has always lived on the old farm, and married in 1842 Delana A. Green (now dec.), daughter of George, and had 7 children, and was highway commissioner several years.

Thomas N. Boyd, son of Robert R., was born in March, 1844. He was a soldier of the Union Army during the war of the Rebellion, enlisted in Co. F, 141St N. Y. Inf., and served in the 1st Brig., 1st Div., 20th Corps, and marched with Sherman to the sea. He saw the destruction of the city of Atlanta and took part in the campaign of the Carolinas. He married Frances L. Morgan and has one child, Ethel. He has been assessor three years, justice eight years, supervisor four years and commander of Ed. Seaman Post, No. 481, G. A. R., for seven consecutive years. He is a farmer and stock breeder and keeps a large dairy, is a fine rifle-shot, and especially so at the longer ranges of 600 to 1,000 yards.

Hiram W. Boyd, oldest son of Robert R. Boyd, Sr., born at Duanesburg, N. Y., in 1805, came here with his father, married Mary N. Younglove, eldest daughter of Timothy, and was 13 years supervisor and justice of the peace 21 years. He died Oct. 4, 1876, leaving one son and six daughters, Sylvia I., who died at Los Angeles, Cal.; Clark Y., unmarried; Esther C. married in 1854 John B. Martindale, who was born March 5, 1827, in Homer, N. Y., and came to Andover in 1852; Angeline (Mrs. John C. Cartwright); Mrs. Eunice Barber, of Decatur, Mich.; Electa (Mrs. Billings Hall); Theoda E. (Mrs. J. C. Greene); all except Mrs. Barber residents of Andover.,

Daniel S. Bradley, son of Stephen, was born July 6, 1821. In early life he was a farmer and, in 1848, married Emily Stenson, by whom he has two children, Roxie E. (Mrs. A. M. Burrows), and Mary B. (Mrs. W. W. Miller). In 1855 he came to Andover, rented a farm for three years, and in 1859 engaged in merchandising which he pursued many years. Later with his sons-in-law he established a.bank. Mr. Bradley was for a long time deacon of the Baptist church. He died Feb. 23, 1888.

Geo. E. Brown, son of Edmond Brown, was born in Independence, March 2, 1846. His father was a farmer; and George lived on the farm until hewas 22 years old. He married Martha J. Updyke and settled in West Union, where he lived about 12 years, when he moved to Andover, purchased a cheese factory, and was in cheese manufacturing for years. He then bought a grist and sawmill, and built a new sawmill. These buildings were destroyed by fire, March 26. 1893, and he rebuilt them the same year. Mr. Brown is a Freemason, and the family are members of the M. E. church. His children are Frank. Eddie and Lottie.

Fulton Bundy, son of Albro, was born in Andover in 1843. In November, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 85th Regt. N. Y. S. V., and was corporal. He was nearly ten months and a half in rebel prisons, and was reduced to a skeleton. He was discharged April 21, 1865. He married Phebe Burrows, their children were Bessie and William. Mr. Bundy was clerk of Alpena county, Mich. for several years. He died in 1873, his widow survives him. William B. Bundy, son of Fulton, was born Dec. 12, 1866. When he was 15 years old he entered the employ of the First National Bank of Wellsville, remained 3 years and a half then came to Andover, and when 19 years of age was made cashier of D. S. Bradley & Co.'s Bank, and has been there since. Mr. Bundy married Margaret, daughter of Delos Leonard. He was the first treasurer of Andover village, and was re-elected treasurer of the village in 1894 and 1895.

William H. Burrows, born in 1846. SOfl of Periam Burrows, married Ella Van Sickle, daughter of Peter Van Sickle. He was engaged in merchandising for several years. His death occurred April 30, 1887. His wife died Jan. 13. 1887. They had one son, Lowell A. Burrows, who was born Feb. 8, 1868. He was educated at the Andover Union School, was graduated from the New York College of Pharmacy in 1889. and in 1890 established himself as a druggist in Andover. He married Frances, daughter of Stephen and Harriet (Deming) Robinson.

Augustus M. Burrows, son of Periam and Sophia (Cook) Burrows, was born Nov. 27, 1848, in Andover. His father, son of Aaron, a native of New Jersey, came here about 1840, bought and rebuilt the gristmill which he conducted for years. He was a civil engineer, did much surveying all through this part of the county, and was a justice for many years. He and two of his sons died within six weeks of typhoid fever in 1858. Augustus was ten years old at his father's death, and when 15 left school for a clerkship in Dr. Hammond's store. Four years later he changed this position for a clerkship in Daniel Bradley's store which he held ten years, then was partner for two years. In 1879 with W. W. Miller he formed the mercantile house of Burrows & Miller, and continued in trade until 1884, when with Daniel S. Bradley they engaged m banking as D. S. Bradley & Co. In 1889 Mr. Burrows purchased Mr. Miller's interests in store and bank, and from that time he has conducted both establishments. His wife was Roxana Bradley. They have two sons, Arthur and Frank.

Patrick Cannon was born in County Leitrim, Ireland, March 4, 1833. Losing his parents when very young he came to America in 1849. lived two years at East Hamburgh, N. Y., learned the tanner's and currier's trade. He afterwards worked for Aaron Rumsey in Buffalo, then in tanneries in Cleveland, Lockport, Medina, Rochester, Chicago, etc., pursuing this vocation 20 years. In 1855 he came to Almond, worked for the Richardsons in their tannery until 1865, being its foreman eight years. Coming to Andover in 1865, he worked at his trade a few years, then kept a restaurant until 1888. when. in company with his sons John and James, he engaged in merchandising, which he still continues. He was the first president of Andover village, and was for 12 years member of the school board. He married Mary Delaney in 1866. They have five children: John, appointed postmaster at Andover in 1894; James, now in business with his father; William, a graduate of Alfred in 1894, now professor of physics and chemistry in Seton Hall College, South Orange, N. J.; Mary and Frank.

Hazard P. Clarke, son of Stephen, born in Rhode Island in 1784, came to Brookfleld, N. Y., with his parents in 1794, attained his majority in Brookfield and married Phebe Whitford. In 1821 he came to Andover, bought land south of the village, built a log house, made a small clearing, and returning to Brookfield brought his family here with a pair of oxen. In connection with developing his farm he did custom blacksmithing in a small shop. He had io children. William B. Clarke, his oldest son, was born Nov. 14, 1807, came to Andover with his parents and has ever since been a resident of the town. He learned blacksmithing of his father, and worked at the trade over 6o years, retiring in 1892 when he was 85 years old. He has often been in office, was county superintendent of the poor two terms, has been county excise commissioner and constable, road commissioner, and justice of the peace. He married Relief A. Woodcock of Swanzey, N. H. One child, Whitford, who died in infancy. The family are Seventh-day Baptists.

Samuel B. Clark came from Madison county in 1825, bought land in the south part of town, and had previously married Tacy Maxson. Their son Jeremiah, who was six weeks old when the family came to. Andover, has always been a resident of the town. He has a farm of 400 acres, is a large breeder of Holstein cattle, and it is said brought the first registered cattle of that breed to Allegany county.

Frank S. Clark, son of Decatur M. and Jane (Sherman) Clark, was born in Independence, Aug. 18, 1860. He worked with his father manufacturing cheese, and in 1882 settled in Andover and went into merchandising under the firm-name of D. M. Clark & Son. In 1885 he purchased his father's interest and continued the business until 1891 when he sold out. From 1883 he had been engaged with Jesse Snyder in the cheese trade under firm-name of Snyder & Clark, and since 1891 he has given his whole attention to that business. He was supervisor in 1889 and 1890. He married Lillian, daughter of Welcome and Sarah (Vaughan) Burdick Sept. 29, 1885.

Martin L. Comstock was born in Mayville in 1818. He learned the wagon maker's trade in Otsego county. In 1840 he settled in Andover, and carried on the wagon making business until his death in 1883. He married Naomi Adams Whittemore, widow of Thomas Whittemore. They had 10 children. D. James Comstock, son of Martin L., was born in Andover, Aug. 10, 1848. He married Emma L. Brownwright, widow of H. T. Brownwright. Mr. Cornstock learned his trade of his father, and was a partner with him, and has continued the business since his death. He is a member of Lodge No. 558 F. & A. M., and the family belong to the M. E. church. Thomas M. Comstock, son of Martin L., was born Dec. 7, 1845, in Andover, and learned the trade of tanner and currier at which he worked for 18 years, but since 1886 he has been engaged in farming. He married, first, Elmira J.. daughter of Francis Nichols. Children: Flora E., now (1895) clerk in Chicago post-office, and Jennie. Mrs. Comstock died in 1878, and Mr. Comstock married, second, the widow of Edwin Baker. Francis E. Comstock, son of Martin L.

Nelson Ray Crandall, son of Russell, born in Rhode Island in 1811 came from Madison county about 1825 to Andover, and married in 1836 Laura Clark, daughter of Hazard P., and settled on the farm now owned by Maxson A. Crandall his son. He bought 50 acres and added to it till he owned 585 acres, was a farmer and veterinary surgeon, and died February, 1889; his wife February, 1890. Children: Aurelia A., Ellen, Clarissa A., Sherman G., William R., Maxson A. Sherman G. Crandall was born Feb. 20, 1845. Attending Alfred University, he engaged in teaching. In 1870 he married Leonore G., daughter of Benj. F. Wood, and located on his present farm. He is a veterinary surgeon and farmer, and a deacon of the Seventy-Day Baptist church of Independence. Maxson A. Crandall was born March 17, 1851. In 1872 he married Mary S., daughter of E. R. Crandall of Genesee.

Rev. Jonathan Crandall, son of Cary, born in Rhode Island Jan. 18, 1788, married Betsey Burdick born in 1791, and became a Methodist minister. They first settled at Pharsalia, N. Y., and in 1820 came to Almond, where he preached, made spinning wheels, furniture and shoes and did blacksmithing. He died in November, 1836, his wife Oct. 15, 1866. Oliver P. Crandall, youngest son of Rev. Jonathan's seven children, was born Nov. 29, 1832 in Almond, married in 1856, Emily M. Dunning, of Belmont. Two children: Ella (Mrs. Marsh Bundy), and Carrie E. (Mrs. Dr. E. J. Laughlin), who lives in South Dakota. Mr. Crandall, after clerking some years in Alfred, in 1855 opened a store there. During his first year of mercantile life his store was burglarized and over $10,000 worth of goods (all the property he owned) was stolen. Borrowing money he successfully continued trade for 12 years, selling out in 1868. He then opened a store in Andover and conducted it six years. In 1875 he bought a stone quarry at Mainsburg, Pa., and has since been engaged in taking contracts for laying stone walks with the stone produced by his quarry. He has done elegant work for the best citizens in many places in Western New York, Westfield, Dunkirk and Fredonia being among the number. He has been town clerk and is a member of Andover Lodge No. 558, F. & A. M.

Jonathan Davis came from Brookfield, N. Y., to Allegany county in 1822, bought a farm in what is now the town of Independence and cleared the land. He was a blacksmith by trade. His son, Leroy C. Davis, was born July 10, 1813. In 1835 he married Lucy Allis. They had 2 sons, Uriah and Charles F. Davis and settled in Andover where they have since resided. Uriah Davis was born Nov. 30, 1837, on the farm he now owns in Andover. Charles F. Davis was born Oct. 18, 1839, in Andover. He married Augusta A., daughter of Charles E. Campbell and made his home with his father. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. C, 85th Regt. N. Y. V., was taken prisoner April 27, 1864, held in Andersonville prison 163 days then taken to Florence S. C., whence he escaped Sept. 15. 1864, and for 15 days and nights lived upon raw greencorn and sweet potatoes. He arrived at Newberne, N. C., Oct. 1st, and was discharged in November, 1864. He lost one finger in battle. His children are Myrta A., Hattie B., and Charles F., Jr. Mr. Davis is road commissioner and a member of Ed Seaman Post No. 481, G. A. R.

Abram Frisbey, father of Sidney, was born near Boston, Mass,, married Nelly Gallien in Springfield, Vt., and settled in Dalton, N. H., on the Connecticut river. He was long a resident of the Upper Connecticut valley. Sidney Frisbey, born in Dalton, N. H., married Mrs. Tirzah Smith in Gorham, N. Y., July 4, 1822, and located on a new farm of 150 acres in Independence, now Andover, one mile northeast of Andover village, which was then a roadless forest. He built a log house in the forest into which he moved in September, 1823, Abram Frisbey bought 50 acres adjoining his son and lived there. Sidney attended at the first town meeting of Andover and voted to give it the name. He had natural ability, became self-educated, was supervisor of Andover years, justice of the peace 16 years, captain of militia, helped to organize the first Baptist church of the town and was its deacon many years, later joining the M. E. church. He helped build the first gristmill in Andover village. In 1842 he moved to Hornellsville and was justice there. His land was soon set off into the new town of Hartsville where he was town clerk several terms and held other offices. In 1865 he moved to Wellsville, bought a house and lot on Harrison St., where he made his home, and his wife died Oct. 17, 1867. Three of their nine children attaining maturity settled in this county; the oldest daughter, Mrs. M. A. Howell, lives in Lansing, Mich. Mr. Frisbey married, second, Ann Craig, Feb. 16, 1869. He died June 1, 1890, aged 90. A. 0. Frisbey, son of Sidney, born in Andover, Oct. 2, 1837, in 1859 married Mary A. Sherwood, of Yates county, sister of A. W. Sherwood, captain of Co. I, 86th N. Y. Vols. in the Civil War. He settled in Alfred in 1861, engaged in merchandising in Andover as one of the firm of Cole & Frisbey in 1873. Three years later he was in trade alone, continuing so until 1889. He was long a member of the school board, several times its president, postmaster of Andover under Pres. Cleveland's first term, and in 1883-4 was elected supervisor as a Democrat with 125 Republican majority to overcome. He has one child, Della (Mrs. A. A. Porter). Howard L. Frisbey was son of Sidney (see Wellsville). Sidney Frisbey, son of Sidney, born in Hornellsville, April 20, 1842, married Miss M. J. Vickars, Dec. 31, 1863. She died March 3, 1866, and he married, second, Eliza J. Stearns, March 22, 1871. He was a merchant of Wellsville for years, retiring from trade in December, 1886. He occupies one of Wellsville's model homes built on the Harrison street lot where his father resided. He and his wife are members of the Wellsville Congregational church, They have one child, Gracie.

Jesse C. Green, son of Henry and Louisa (Conrad) Green, was born in Hinsdale, Dec. 5, 1839. He came to Andover in 1858, and worked in a railroad shop. Sept. 2, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 85th New York. April 20, 1864, he was taken prisoner at Plymouth, N. C., and was in Andersonville, Charleston and Florence prisons for 10 months and 9 days. He was honorably discharged April 11, 1865. When Mr. Green entered the service he weighed 180 pounds, and when he was released from prison his weight was scarcely 100 pounds. He is a member of the E. Seaman Post, No. 481, G. A. R., and a Freemason. After his return to Andover, he worked at blacksmithing and trucking, and later was 12 years the Erie baggage master. He served 3 years as highway commissioner, and in July, 1889, was appointed postmaster at Andover. He married Theoda E., daughter of Hiram W. Boyd. They have one son, Hiram Sidney Green. The family are members of the Presbyterian church.

Stephen K. Hale was born in Burleigh. When 16 years of age he went to Hornellsville and was a clerk in his brothers, David J. Hale's, store. In 1840 he came to Andover, bought a farm and was engaged in farming many years, and taught school winters. In 1855 he removed to Allegany, where he was a farmer and in trade until 1868. He then located in Olean, and was in merchandising until 1893 when he retired from business and returned to Andover. In 1846 Mr. Hale married Esther M. Pettibone. Edwin A., a salesman in New Orleans is the only survivor of their 3 children. His wife died in 1890, and he married second, Mrs. Eliza A., widow of Dr. J. J. Harman. Mrs. Hale died in the spring of 1895. Miles H. Harman, son of Dr. John J., and Eliza A. (Clark) Harman was born 1845, was 20 years a partner with his father in merchandising and succeeded to the business at his death.

Jacob Hann was son of Michael, who came to America from Holland in 1754 to avoid service in the army. He however served here in the French War and was in General Wolfe's command. He served through the Revolution in the Contineatal Army, was at Ticonderoga with Ethan Allen, and at the battle of Monmouth. After eight years of military life he settled in Oxford, Conn. Jacob was born in 1774, married Emily Holbert, in 1816 brought his family to Otego, N. Y., from there in 1839 to Andover where he resided until his death. Of his 13 children Michael H. Hann was born March 16, 1821, and came to Andover in 1838 to work for his brother James, who came here in 1836 and owned a sawmill. In 1844 Michael married Ann, daughter of Wm. Swain. He taught school over 30 years, was also a farmer, and held numerous offices, was justice of the peace 12 years, deputy sheriff 3 years, inspector of schools five years, etc. He joined the M. E. church of Andover in 1852 and was a teacher of Bible class and Sunday school superintendent. His son, Edward James Hann who died in 1881 at Montgomery, Ala., was chief dispatcher of the Southern Division of the Louisville and Nashville railroad. He married Elizabeth Owens, of Cardiff, Wales; one child Clara A. Simeon Hann, son of Jacob, born 1811, at Oxford, Conn., came to Andover in 1837 with $300 and bought a sawmill. He did a large business and at his death in 1876 owned 600 acres of land and was worth $60,000. He married Rachel Adams and had 10 children. Mr. Michael H. Hann died Dec. 3, 1895.

William Hardy was born Feb. 10, 1784, in Lincolnshire, England, emigrated to America about the year 1830, and settled on a farm in Andover. He married Mary F. Kingsbury. Their five children were Mary F., Hannah E., Roswin, J. Newland and Julia M. Hardy. Roswin Hardy was born Jan. 24, 1839. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. E, 130th Regt. N. Y. S. V., which regiment was afterwards put into the cavalry service and was known as the 1st N. Y. Dragoons; Mr. Hardy participated with his regiment in the battles of Trevillian Station, Cold Harbor, Deep Bottom, Winchester, Fisher Hill, Cedar Creek and many other lesser engagements and was honorably discharged June 30, 1865. He is a member of Edward Seaman Post, No. 481, Department of N. Y. In 1868 he married Georgianna, daughter of Mansur Dyer. They have a family of six children, Dr. P. B. Hardy, now of Britton, Mich., Edward D., Helen L., Grace, Sylvia J. and Raymond Hardy. Mr. Hardy is a farmer and resides upon the " ancestral acres."

Mansur Dyer was born June 24, 1801, in Norwich, Conn. When 19 years of age he settled in Independence, bought a farm and made the first clearing and built his log house. He married Eliza Heseltine, five children were given them. His second wife was Sallie A. Stout, three children was the result of the union only one of whom is living. Mr. Dyer was the first justice of the peace in Independence and married the first couple in that town. About the year 1849 he removed to Andover where he resided until his death Nov. 9, 1872. He was a deacon of the Presbyterian church for many years. He was a large farmer, owning 500 acres of land, and one of the leading dairymen in this section of the county. He was a very benevolent man and much respected.

Mrs. Rosanna Joyce, the proprietress of the American House, is a daughter of James and Catharine (Bines) Joyce, and was born in New York City. She came to Andover when a child, married Harry Joyce and has 6 children: Kate C., Harry W., Mary C., Rosa, Samie and Edie. The American House has been conducted for years, first by her parents and afterwards by Mrs. Joyce, whose husband's business takes him from home most of the year.

Nathan Lanphere came from Berlin, N. Y., in 1817, and settled in Alfred where he purchased land, and cleared and cultivated it. He married first, Eunice Satterlee, they had 4 children. His second wife was Susan Green, she had a children. Jonathan Lanphere, son of Nathan, was born in January, 1818. He married Esther Beebe. Two of their 3 children survive, Walter and Ella (Mrs. Oliver E. Vars). Jonathan died Dec. 30, 1879. His widow resides in Andover. Walter Lanphere, son of Jonathan, was born in 1845, married Frances Davis and resides in Andover. He built and conducted the mills at Andover which bear his name.

Michael Linch, Jr., son of Michael and Nellie (O'Byle) Lynch, was born March 13, 1861. His education was obtained at the common schools and at the Andover High School. His life until he attained his majority was passed on the farm. He has been an oil producer, is now drilling oil wells, and has drilled 10 wildcat wells. For two years he has been a dealer and shipper of produce at Andover.

James McTighe was born in Ireland in November, 1823. When about 20 years of age he came to America, made his home in New London, Ct., for 8 years, where he kept a meat market. He married Mary Howe. They had 8 children. In 1856 he moved to Andover, lived on a farm for a few years then came to the village, built a store and was in merchandising until his death in October, 1891. His wife died in April, 1888. His children are: Kate, who was clerk in her fathers store for 13 years, Ann (widow of John Delaney, resides at Andover), James (of Salamanca, baggage-master of the Erie railroad), Michael (a resident of Binghamton), John (a salesman in Chicago), Ella (Mrs. Daniel Collins of Toledo, O.) Rose (died in 1893), and Thomas (of Hornellsville, a commercial traveler). The family are members of the Catholic church.

Rev. Thomas A. Murray was born at Elkland, Pa., July 1, 1858. He studied in Buffalo at St. Joseph's College, and St. Bonaventure College at Allegany, and was graduated in June, 1880. He then passed 5 years at Genoa, Italy. In 1885 he was established at Elmira as assistant at St. Patrick's church, where he remained nearly 5 years, when he was transferred to St. Mary's Church of Our Lady of Angels at Olean. He was there 3 years and 2 months; 8 months he had full charge, the remainder of the time he was assistant. In 1893 he came to Andover and has since had charge of the Church of the Blessed Sacrament.

Francis Nichols, a native of Herkimer Co., came to Angelica in 1836, and in i 1844 bought a farm in Alfred three miles north of Andover village where he died March 20, 1853. His wife Almira Davis died in 1881. They had six children, of whom John C. Nichols was two years old when his parents came to Angelica. He married Abby J., daughter of Dyer K. Youngs and has been a farmer of Andover for many years. Dyer K. Youngs, born in Vermont, came to Andover in 1848. He married Livonia Davis, born 1826, and died Feb. 27, 1889; his widow lives in Andover. They have five surviving children, Derwent E. and John V. (who constitute the firm of Youngs Bros., at Denver, Cob.), Mrs. Charles Hann, Ebenezer (a farmer in Almond), Abby J. (Mrs. J. C. Nichols). Ebenezer Davis was born in Concord, N. H. He married Elizabeth Kenniston and came to Andover from Auburn, N. Y., about 1840. He was a farmer and had a large family.

Hamilton C. Norris was born in Angelica. Sept. 15, 1869. He was the only son of P. S. and Ann M. Norris. From 1877 to 1880 he was employed in the office of the Genesee Valley Free Press, published at Belmont by Hon. A. N. Cole. From 1884 to 1887 he was one of the editors of the Genesee Valley Posi' at Belmont. In 1887 he established the Andover News, and has been editor and publisher of that paper to the present time. Mr. Norris married in 1884 Miss Ella Russell of Belmont.

Ward Oatley was born in Howard, N. Y., Jan. 15, 1845. When he was 18 years old he learned the carpenter's trade. For four years he was engaged in farming in Burns. In 1889 he settled in Andover, where he carries on the business of contracting and building, is a general contractor; employing from 6 to 12 men. Mr. Oatley is a member of Morning Star Lodge No. 65. F. & A. M. of Canisteo. He married Anna P., daughter of William P. Brown, and has 4 children.

Anthony O'Donnell was born Nov. 1, 1830, in Mayo, Ireland. In 1847 he emigrated to Canada, worked in a bakery for a year, then came to Rochester, but remained but a few months. Dec. 1, 1858, he went to Oakland, learned the molder's trade. In April, 1856, he came to Alfred and worked with his father, Dominick O'Donnell, until 1861 when he settled in Andover, built a small foundry, and made the first casting Sept. 30, 1862. Mr. O'Donnell voted for Myron H. Clark in 1854, for Fremont in 1856. and has ever since been an active worker in the Republican party. He married, in 1854, Susan Laughlin and has 4 sons, Jesse A., Clarence, Dr. Charles W. and Robert. Mrs. and Mrs. O'Donnell are members of the M. E. church, Dominick O'Donnell came to America in 1847, to Andover where he was a farmer in 1851, moved to Alfred in 1856, returned to Andover in 1869 and resided with his son Anthony until his death June 12, 1876. His wife died March 8, 1874.

William Owen was born in Scotland July 4, 1822. He married Elizabeth Hickey. Of their 7 children but 3 are living, John in Scotland, William and James, who reside in And over. William Owen and his wife came to America in 1887 and settled at Andover. James Owen, son of William, was born in Ayr, Scotland, in 1845, where he served 5 years as an apprentice to learn the tanner's trade in Ayr, Scotland. In 1872 he emigrated to America, located at Angola for 4 years, and from there went to Rutherford, N. C.. where he built a tannery for a company and conducted it for 2 years. He then bought a tannery at Gowanda which he ran 6 years. May 1, 1886, he purchased the Richardson tannery at Andover where he employs a number of men. In March, 1877, Mr. Owen married Jennie Gilmore, of York, Livingston county, and has one daughter, Elizabeth. He was one of the first trustees of Andover and in 1894 was elected president of the village.

Stephen Potter came to Andover and took up 100 acres of land of which Eugene Clark is now the owner. He married Annis Coats. They both died in town. Their children were Stephen, Martha, Joseph, Mary J. and Perry. who is the only one living. He was born in Andover, married Sally M. Wells and settled on the farm where he now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Perry Potter are members of the Seventh Day Baptist church. Two of their children are living, Fred S. on the homestead, and Frank W. Potter, who was born August 12, 1850, and married Ella M. Benton. He is a farmer, proprietor of a meat market and a dealer in produce.

John Prest, son of John and Catharine (Vreeland) Prest, was born in Pendleton, N. Y., May 27, 1827. When he was six years old, his father, a native of New Jersey, came from Niagara county, and settled on a farm about one mile west of Andover, where he raised 7 children and resided till his death March 24, 1843. John, Jr., worked on the farm until he was 24, when, learning the carpenter's trade, he engaged in furniture making and undertaking, and contracting and building. He erected the Union School and Academy building and the Methodist Episcopal church in Wellsville, a large block in Painted Post, the M. E. church and many other buildings in Andover, where he built the Prest opera house. Elected justice in 1860 he was. kept in office 24 consecutive years. He has also been constable, collector and supervisor, and member of Andover Lodge of Freemasons for many years. Four of his five children are living.

Augustus B. Richardson, son of Charles H. Richardson, and grandson of Charles, was born in Wellsville, May 6, 1868. He was educated at Andover. In 1867 he held the position of baggage master at Andover, and in 1891 was appointed station agent there. He married Ada, daughter of Dr. E. M. Stiliman. Charles Richardson, son of Silas, was born in Greene, Me., in 1808, niarried Olive A. Miller of East Union, Me., later came to Western New York, and in 1851 to Wellsville and was an agent for the Church family in their lumber business. Mr. Richardson had made lumbering his life work. He built the first steam sawmill on the Kennebec river. He had 3 sons and 2 daughters. He died in 1865 and his wife in 1887. Charles H., his son, was born July 1, 1841, in Gardiner, Me., came to this county with his father and in 1865 married Marion Palmer. Their children are Augustus B. and Reita. In 1858 he entered the employ of the Erie Railroad, as clerk, was station agent at Andover for 14 years, and has since been clerk of the freight department, and is now located at Wellsville. In 1862 Mr. Richardson enlisted in Co. F, 5th N. Y. Cay, and served 3 years. He is a member of the Andover Lodge of F. & A. M. and of E. Seaman Grand Army Post.

Uriah Stratton, son of S. C. Stratton, was born in Wayland, N. Y., Dec. 2, 1839. In 1850 his family moved to Bolivar and his father died there in February, 1889. His mother died in February, 1895. Uriah W. Stratton enlisted Sept. 27, 1861, in the 85th N. Y., and was discharged June 6th, 1862, on account of sickness. July 11, 1863, he was drafted and joined Co. H, 109th N. Y., and served until the close of the war. He was in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged, and was wounded at Petersburg June 18, 1864. In April, 1865, he was made assistant quartermaster under Gen. Hines and transferred to the 51st N. Y. He was honorably discharged Aug. 9, 1865. He is a member of E. Seaman Post, No. 481, G. A. R. of Andover. In 1865 Mr. Stratton married Doroleski, daughter of Prentice Beebe, and has three children, Lottie, Mary and Belle. Mary was graduated from Alfred University in drawing and parntmg in June, 1893. Mr. Stratton is one of the pioneers in cheesemaking. In 1866 he established a cheese factory at Wirt and has been in the business ever since and now operates one factory in Andover and one in Wellsville.

William F. Snyder was born in 1860 in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and came with his father, William, to this country in 1868, and the family located on the place where William F. now lives. He has been proprietor of the Andover cheese factory since 1888, in which year he married Ella Swartz. They have 3 children. Raymond O., Leo S. and Edna Darleen.

Daniel B. Spaulding was born Sept. 4, 1820, in New Marlboro, Mass. His father was a farmer and Daniel was conversant with farm life in his early years. In 1850 he married Phebe Barton. Their children are Owen B., who died in 1882, Fannie E., and Amy, wife of Capt. John A. Travis, who resides in Washington, D. C. In 1851, Mr. Spaulding came to New Hudson, and for two years was engaged in lumbering. He then settled in Oramel, and made his residence there until 1867, when he moved to Andover where he now resides. From 1867 to 1875 he was engaged in various kinds of business, then he opened a drugstore and continued in trade until May, 1892.

John Swain, son of William and Mary (Parr) Swain, was born in Lincoinshire, England, Nov. 9, 1827. He was 9 years old when his father, who was born in 1806, came to America. They were 8 weeks out of sight of land. William after 3 years' residence in Pittsford came to Andover in 1839, with only $1.50 in his pocket, and located 6 miles west of the village (then in Andover but now in Wellsville). and by industry and shrewdness, honesty and ability, became a large farmer. After a few years he settled 2 miles from Andover village. His wife's maiden name was Mary Parr. They had 7 children. He died March 24, 1869, his wife June 8, 1877. They were members of the M. E. Church from 1842. John Swain married Philena, daughter of Seth Baker. She died April 27, 1893. They had 8 children. All his life Mr. Swain has been a farmer, and has endeavored to carry into his daily life the practical teachings of his parents' example. He has been a member of the Presbyterian church since 1850. He was assessor of Ward 6 years, superintendent of Bundy's sawmill several years, and is a Freemason, holding membership in Andover Lodge.

Jacob Swink was born in Hamilton, Pa., in 1809, and came with his father, John, to Andover in 1823, and has resided since 1836 on the farm purchased by his father and which he assisted in clearing. He married first, in 1834, Mary Pratt, second, Mary Wood, who died April 21, 1891. Jesse A. Swink, son of Peter and nephew of Jacob. was born Jan. 23, 1853, and married Mary L., daughter of Lyman Bayard. They live on their fine farm of over 200 acres and have two children, Ethel and Germain. Mr. Swink is a member of Forest Home Lodge, F. & A. M. Peter Swink, son of John, was born in Andover in 1824, He married Oct. 26, 1850, Maria J. Dake of Almond. Three children: Maria E. (Mrs. Volney Bess) of Hornellsville, Jesse A. and Peter M. In 1848 he opened a store in Andover and was burned out in October, i 86o. Then building the Swink Hotel he conducted it until his death Oct. 14, 1874.

Rial Wescott came to Alfred about 1833 and was a permanent settler. He married Mercy N. Shaw. All of their 7 children were boys. His son, George W. Wescott was born in Alfred, April 14, 1834, married Celestia J., daughter of Joseph L. Baker, and had one son Emery O. Mr. Wescott enlisted Aug. 13. 1862, in Co. H, 130th N. Y. Inf., and was discharged in 1863 for disability. He is a member of Edward Seaman Post, G. A. R. Emery O. Wescott was born in Andover, Sept. 10, 1854. With the exception of 2½ years passed in Nebraska he has always lived in town. He married Ella Hall. Children: Maude G. (Mrs. Ernest French lives in California), and Jennie M. Mr. Wescott is engaged in livery business.

Joseph L. Baker, son of William, was born at Geneva, N. Y., in 1793. Coming to Andover a young man, he married Sarah, daughter of Joseph Baker and was a farmer and prominent Methodist. They had 4 sons and 4 daughters. He died Sept. 15, 1865, his wife June 5, 1873. Their surviving child is Celestia (Mrs. George W. Wescott). Mrs. Baker was the first person in town to join the Methodist church, which she did at 13 years of age. She contributed towards the building of three M. E. churches in Andover. John S. Baker, son of William, was born in Otsego, Co., Nov. 1, 1792. He came to Andover about 1820, purchased a tract of wild land which by painstaking industry and thrift he developed into a productive farm. He was a man of good judgment and was often chosen assessor. He married Sarah Olds. Of their 4 children the sole survivor is Angelina. Two of the children died in early infancy, one son, Delos Baker, lived to mature age and died Dec. 24, 1886. Mr. Baker died May 26, 1877, his wife Jan. 11, 1884.

Peleg Wood, a native of Rhode Island, a sailor and a shoemaker, in 1823 settled in the north part of Independence on a farm of 100 acres which he developed from the wilderness. He married Rebecca Miller, had 8 children, of whom Nelson P. Wood is the only son living. He was born in Fairfield, N. Y., Nov. 3, 1822, and was consequently but one year old when his father came to Independence. He learned the painter's trade and worked at it for years. In 1861 he enlisted in the regimental band of the 85th N. Y. Inf. and served until all regimental bands were mustered out by order of the War Department, and is a member of E. Seaman Post, G. A. R. Mr. Wood married in 1851 Mary J. Ryan, and 5 of their 7 children are living.


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy