History of Andover, NY
FROM: A Centennial Memorial
History of Allegany County, New York
John S. Minard, Esq. Historian
Mrs. Georgia Drew Andrews, Editor.
W. A. Fergusson & Co., Alfred, N. Y. 1896


ANDOVER.
CHAPTER LII.
BY T. A. BURDICK.

THE TOWN of Andover was formed from Independence, Jan. 21, 1824. During the same year a portion of it was re-annexed to Independence, and a part of Wells vile was added on Nov. 22, 1855. Andover has an area of 23,756 acres. The soil is admirably adapted to grazing, and the principal agricultural industry has for many years been dairying. It has long held a place in the front rank of the cheese-making industry. Within twenty years potato culture has been quite extensively and profitably engaged in, and in recent years the production of hay for market has proved remunerative to the farmer. In the early history of the town the manmfacture of lumber was the principal, indeed almost the only, cash-paying business the inhabitants could follow, and the old residents declare that there was very little cash about that. Of the large acreage of pine, once standing but little remains.

Nathanael Dike is claimed as the first settler. More than to any other man, perhaps, Andover owes its record of local history to Seth Baker, Sr., son of Alpheus Baker, who kept a journal, a transcript of which was in the possession of Michael Hann. All who knew Mr. Baker declare him to have been a man of unimpeachable veracity; and to that journal, under such indorsement the compiler of this sketch has in great measure pinned his local historical faith. Mr. Baker says that Nathanael Dike was the first man who settled in the town; coming in and settling on the "Leonard farm" in Elm Valley in 1795. Stephen Cole, of Tioga Co., Pa., settled in Elm Valley in 1796. His son Daniel, born Feb. 18, 1797, was the first white male child born within The limits of Alleganyrcounty. He died on the farm where he was born, aged 73 years. About the same time James Dike, from Tioga Point, Pa., settled near Dike. There is a question which was the earlier settler, Cole or Dike. Benjamin Brookins and John T. Hyde came from Vermont soon after and settled near Cole and Dike. Thaddeus Baker, Sr. previously a surveyor for the Pulteney estate, brought his wile and six children in June, 1807, and located on 400 acres of land, a part of the present site of Andover village, selected by him when surveying the tract. He died in 1845. Alpheus, his brother, settled on 200 acres adjoining Thaddeus on the south, in July, 1807. They were originally from Poultney, Rutland Co.. Vt: Seth Baker, the chronicler of local events, a native of Granville, Washington county, was an early settler two miles west of the village He was a millwright and carpenter. Joseph Baker and Joseph Woodruff, also of Granville, accompanied by their families, came Oct. 15, 1810. When Alpheus Baker, in 1792, surveyed what are now the towns of Almond, Alfred, Andover and Independence, Joseph Baker had accompanied him as axman. Reuben Castle, a son-in-law of Thaddeus Baker, Sr., arrived with his wife, Jan. 25, 1812. Barnabas Eddy came in from Fabius, Onondaga county, in 1818. Edwin Brown, then ten years old, accompanied him. Brown settled on lot 108, remaining there until 1872, when he removed to the vifiage, where he died on July 2, 1893. Robert R. Boyd, a blacksmith, a native of Orange county, came in from Canandaigua April 26, 1820, and located on lot 40. He cut the road from Elm Valley to his lot where he lived in a tent until he could roll up a cabin. He died on the farm Aug. 7, 1855. His son, Robert R., a prominent citizen, a man of broad intelligence and rich in historical reminiscence, is the present owner and occupant of the farm.

Among those who were early settlers or who became residents prior to its organization as Andover, Stephen Tanner, Belah Holiday, Levi, Saunders and Solomon Pingrey are named, and the family names of Gilson, Allen, Converse and others are prominent. Peter Bundy from Otsego, N. Y., settled near the village and was a farmer and lumberman. His son George came soon after his father and was also a farmer and lumberman. His wife was Roxana Bradley. Abner Bullard came in 1820 from Cañandaigua. settled 2½ miles north of the village on a farm and died in 1837. Two sons, Henry and Elijah, live in town. Jason Hunt from Vermont came in 1826 to the site of the village, and after some years purchased Ostrander's store and was in merchandising over 50 years until his death in 1888. His son Jason A. has been a merchant for many years, town clerk, collector, etc. James Adams came from Vermont in 1824 and settled two miles south of the village. In 1820 Hazard P. Clarke, of Brookfield, Madison county, located on lot 96, where he lived until 1845, when he removed to the village. He was a blacksmith. In 1823, John S. Baker came in from Genoa, Cayuga Co., John Swink from Northumberland Co., Pa., and James Adams from New Hampshire. LeRoy C. Davis came in 1824. The Pingreys were then here.

Samuel B. Clarke, with his sons, Stephen S. and Jeremiah, came in 1825. Jason Hunt came to Andover in 1826. He was born in Franklin Co., Mass. Few men among the early settlers have more firmly stamped the impress of their individuality upon this community. He was an energetic and successful business man, one of the founders of the Methodist Episcopal society, and one who did much in molding and fostering religious sentiment. He voted the ftrst Anti-Slavery ticket of the county, and fought "the sum of all villathies" until there was "no slave beneath the starry flag." He died in the village, Oct. 21, 1888, having been prominently connected with the business interests of the town 57 years. Abel Deming came from Cortland county in 1829, and J. M. Goodwin, from Lansing, Tompkins county, in 1830.

Luther Strong came from the Lalie Champlain region in 1815, according to Mr. Baker, and erected a sawmill about half a mile southeast of the village in the fall of that year. He added a gristmill in 1817, and still later, a distillery. F. W. Beers' History of Allegany County names this as "the first mifi of any kind in Andover "; but Seth Baker avers that "Nathanael Dike, Sr., built the first sawmill in town, on the creek south of the Leonard House in 1808." These men endured the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. Those who settled during or before 1816, "the year without a summer," suffered greatly as an outcome of that disastrous season. An old farmer, narrating the events of that year, said: "June was the coldest June ever known; frost, ice or snow almost every night, destroying everything that frost could kill. Snow fell three inches deep in Central and Western New York. July was cold and frosty; ice formed as thick as window glass. August was still worse; ice formed hail an inch thick and killed almost every green thing in the country." B. R. Boyd has seen, on more than one occasion in later years, spring wheat kified by frost when it was all headed out. Men now living recall the fact that seed corn (grown in 1815) sold for five dollars a bushel in 1817.

The record of the first town meeting, held at Luther Strong's house, March 2, 1824, gives the names of these persons as the town officers elected: Supervisor, Thaddeus Baker; clerk, Amherst Kingsbury; assessors, Caleb Kingsbury, Hazard P. Clark and Luther Strong; highway commissioners, Joel Norton, Ichabod Babcock and Horace Mallory; overseers of the poor, Joseph Clark and Caleb Kingsbury; school commissioners, Luther Strong, Barnabas Reed and Asa S. Allen; inspectors of election, Asa S. Allen, John S. Baker and Barnabas Reed; collector, Roswell Adams; constables, Roswell Adams and Jacob Clark.

Supervisors from 1824 to 1896 were: Thaddeus Baker, Asa S. Allen, Sidney Frisbey, Hiram W. Boyd, Jason Hunt, Joseph Krusen, Elijah Hunt, Jr., Geo. W. Estabrook, John J. Harman, Albro Bundy, Sidney Magee, Menzo Bundy, John Prest, Lyman D. Cobb, Abram C. Frisbey, George A. Green, Frank S. Clarke, Thomas N. Boyd.

The oldest burying ground is at Elm Valley, where are buried three infant daughters of James and Phebe Dyke. Nathanael Dike, Sr., was buried there in 1813. Daniel Cole is also buried there. The early interments in the village were on John Goodwin's lot, among them being children of Alpheus Baker, Joseph Woodruff, Luther Strong and Benjamin Brookins, buried there between 1809 and 1817. What has for years been the "Lever Cemetery" was the burial place of Seth Baker, Sr., who died about 1822. The Bundy cemetery was set aside as a burying ground by Peter Bundy, in 1845. The Catholic cemetery is located half a mile east of the vifiage on the Greenwood road.

RELIGIOUS SOCIETIES.
Presbyterian Church. - On July 14, 1824, a meeting was held to effect an organization under the rules of the Congregational church. The original members were: Joseph Woodruff, Samuel Mallory, Amherst Kingsbury, Asa S. Allen, Lydia Allen and Abigail Strong. The record says: "Asa S. Allen was chosen deacon and clerk, and the society took the name of the First Congregational church of Andover. The first house of worship was. dedicated in 1840. It stood on the present site of the Andover State Bank. It was burned in 1866. The present church building was dedicated Jan. 23, 1868. The name of the society was changed to the First Presbyterian church of Andover. The Presbyterian Harvest Home, an annual festival of this society usually held out-of-door late in August, is the public event of the year to more than those under whose supervision it is conducted. It is liberally patronized by all (regardless of denominational affiliations) who appreciate intellectual enjoyment and are not indifferent to the blandishments. of skillful caterers to the palate. The oratory, the music and the toothsome viands make the event a fruitful source of revenue to the church. The clergymen who have served the church are: Revs. Silas Hubbard, Jabez Spicer, Asa S. Allen, Benjamin Russell, Jacob Russell, James Conley, S. A. Rawson, Charles Kenmore, A. H. Lilly J. Blakestop, J. R. Johnson. J. Wynkoop, T. Kemp, Mr. Nutting, J. S. Binghain, A. C. Titus, J. Lee, B. G. Van Cleve, G. M. Janes. The membership in 1895 was 140. The value of church property is about $9,000. The work of the church is ably supplemented by the Sunday school with 125 members and 8 teachers, under the superintendence of W. W. Miller, and the Y. P. S. C. E., numbering 75, Raymond E. Smith, president.

The First Baptist Church was instituted Dec. 31, 1829. Of the constituent members-of whom there are said to have been twelve - only three names are obtainable, those of Philip Wardner, Ambrose Coats and Samuel Rush. Prior to the erection of the present house of worship (which was dedicated Nov. 30, 1853), religious services were held in schoolhouses and in the Congregational church. The Baptist society's edifice cost $3,000. The present value of church and parsonage is $6,500. The present membership is 124. Of the pastors in charge up to date, in many cases only the family names are procurable. They are: Revs. Bemis, Randall, Haskins, Chadwick, Conwell, Colby, Clark, Call, Newland, E. F. Crane, R. A. Washburn, Wilson, Shotwell, F. F. Sherer, P. M. McLeod, J. J. White, Smith, Taylor Crum, Charles Smith, S. Child, L. C. Davis, Wayne Brewster.

M. E. Church.- The first class of the M. E. Church in the township was held in a log schoolhouse at Shoemaker's Corners (Elm Valley) in 1833. The class was organized by Rev. G. W. Vaughan, of the Amity circuit. Rev. Gleason Fillmore was presiding elder. The members were: Stephen Tanner, classleader, Hannah Tanner, Joseph, Sarah and Celeste Baker, James,. Lois and Permelia Cole, Elizabeth, Sarah and John Pixley, Eliza Ann Henderson, Nancy Carson and Eunice Adams. In May, 1840, Jason Hunt was converted and marched forth, a mail-clad warrior, battling for "the faith delivered to the saints." The formation of the M. E. Class of Andover Corners, of which he was the first leader, occurred in that year. On the pages of the class-book for 1840 are found the names of Jason, Ebenezer, Sophia, Gratie and Mrs. Hunt, William and Mary Hardy, John and Cynthia Baker, Judah Hawkins and wife. Jason Hunt had charge of the class until he became local preacher. The M. E. Society of Andover was organized by Rev. Alvin Torrey, wife and sister, Rev. Samuel Nichols. preacher in charge, Jason Hunt, William Hardy and Barnabas Eddy. The. Congregational . society had raised and inclosed their house of worship, and in that incomplete and unfurnished building the Methodists organized and held their first meet ing. In the same year, mainly through the efforts of Jason Hunt and J. S. Martin, the first meeting house of the society was built at a cost of $750, and paid for before its dedication in 1846. That building was sold to Hale Davis,. and4 in 1862, a second edifice was erected at a cost of about $2,500, and was dedicated. This building is now the house of worship of the Seventh Day Baptist church of Andover. The present handsome brick church of the M. E. Society was erected in 1874-5, the expense of building and furnishing approximating $14,000. The present value of church property is about $12,000. The membership is 225. The Sunday school, under the conduct of Erwin D. Baker, numbers 170, including 20 officers and teachers. The Epworth League, of which Raymond E. Smith is president, numbers 90 and is a valuable auxiliary to the work of the church, as also is the Junior League numbering 50, under the direction of Miss Fannie Spaulding.

The Seventh-day Baptist Church was organized Oct. 7, 1871. The widespread religious awakening of the winter of 1870-71, which added largely to the membership of all the Protestant religious societies of the town, had extended to not a few persons of Sabbath-keeping views or proclivities. Under the ministry of Rev. A. H. Lewis (to whom and his people both the Baptist and Methodist societies had given kindly welcome in their respective houses of worship) these persons of the Seventh-day Baptist faith entered into covenant bonds: W. W. Crandall, Euphemia E. Crandall, Wm. B. Clarke, Relief A. Clarke, Clara C. Livermore, Grace A. Everett, Welcome B. Burdick. Anna L. Ware, Oliver D. Burdick, Varnum G. Hall, T. A. Burdick, Permelia Burdick. Agnes E. Burdick, Annis Z. Langworthy. Daniel L. Langworthy, Frances Langworthy. Nathan Lanphear, Susan Lanphear, Mary J. Lanphear, Jonathan Lanphear, Esther Lanphear, N. Mortimer Lanphear, Ellen G. Lanphear, Jason M. Beebe, Clarissa Beebe, Nathan L. Beebe, Clark Burdick, Phebe Burdick, Edward Green, Tacy Green, Maxson A. Green, Ellen A. Green, Olivia Green, Russell P. Green, Harriet Green, Samuel Lee Burdick, Elsie Davis, Leroy C. Davis, Lucy Davis, Nora L. Green, Mary A. Cook and Geo. E. Cook. The present church edifice was purchased from the M. E. Society for $3,000, the present value of the property. The membership is 90. The pastors have been: Revs. A. H. Lewis, T. L Gardiner, T. R. Williams, Jared Kenyon, E. A. Witter, E. H. Socwell, Joshua Clarke ;and L. A. Platts. The Sabbath-school, D. L. Langworthy superintendent, has 4 teachers and 30 members.

St. John's (Roman Catholic) Church was formed in 1852. The original members were: John McCarthy, Edward Welsh, David Magner, John Magner, Patrick Harrington, Wm. Daly, Anthony, Dean Patrick Dean, Richard McAndrew, John Tulis, Hugh Doran, Peter Garvin, Francis McGinty, Thomas O'Donnell, Michael Lynch, John Pardon, Patrick Pardon, John Padden, Michael Cannon, Patrick Lavelle, Anthony Dixon and their families, reaching in round numbers 150 persons. The first church building was erected in 1855. The original cost of the church was $600. During its occupation by the society about $1,200 more were expended in improvements. With the growth of the population of 'the village and the settlement in the parish (notably on South Hill) of adherents of the Roman Catholic faith, came urgent need of a more commodious and convenient house of worship; and the Rev. D. Walsh, the energetic and zealous clergyman in charge of the parish, undertook to supply the need. Fertile in the establishment of resources, irntiring in effort, eminently public-spirited and enjoying the hearty co-operation and support of his congregation, he planned and erected the present beautiful brick structure known as the CHURCH OP THE BLESSED SACRAMENT. The corner stone was laid in 1885, and the building was dedicated Nov. 8, 1886. The original cost of the church was $12,000.. The clergyman's residence and other property are valued at $5,000. The number of members is 425. The parish priest is Rev. P. A. Murray.

Oil and Gas.-No event in the history of Andover has contributed more to its material advancement than the discovery of natural gas and oil, the result of a "wildcat" venture. The first production was in the neighboring town of Greenwood, which constitutes a part of "the Andover oil field." Late in December, 1888, gas was struck at a depth of 648 feet and the oil sand, 28 feet in depth, at 718 feet. When first drilled this well gave a gas pressure of 400 pounds. The outcome of this venture stimulated effort and other operators were soon drilling with varying degrees of success, but generally the results were sufficiently remunerative to advance production and make it an important factor in the town.* The Mutual Gas Company, Limited, capital stock $50,000, was incorporated Feb. 2, 1889. The officers were: President, W. J. Penny, Cuba; vice-president, E. C. Bradley, Wellsville; treasurer, J. B. Bradley, Bolivar; secretary, A. W. Smith, Cuba. In the spring of 1889 gas was introduced into the village. The Mutual Gas Company now owns, within the town lines of Andover, three wells on Ellery Updyke's (lot 115), three on J. J. Warfield's (lot 115), one on Eugene Warfield's (lot 115), one on P. Hyland's and three on the Wm. Hunt farm. The National Transit and United Pipe Lines have established a pump station on the Joseph Crosby farm (lot 115) for the reception of the oil from these wells. The company holds leases of 7,000 acres in one body. The oil of this field is. a very superior article, having a gravity of 42½, a quality heretofore unequaled in the Allegany field, and the gas (under favorable circumstances) is also a very superior article. The oil sand averages 30 feet in thickness. It is chocolate colored and is similar in appearance to the oil sand of Allentown.

Elm Valley Cheese Factory was built in 1868 by Sylvester Hamilton, in 1881 U. W. Stratton purchased it, enlarged it in 1883. He uses the milk of about 600 cows, and in 1893 made 179,000 lbs. of cheese.

Andover Cheese Factory, located at Andover, has been owned and operated by William P. Snyder since 1888. The milk of 500 cows is used.

South Andover Cheese Factory located in the south part of the town, was built in 1891 by the Coyle Brothers, 3. L., F. H. & P. B. Coyle. The latter is the present owner. The milk of 260 cows can be used, and in 1894, 85,000 lbs. of cheese were made.

Union Soldiers. - When the war-cloud burst over the nation in 1861, when party lines for the time disappeared and the North rose as one man and marched out to battle for the old flag with all its stars, no town in the county furnished more men in proportion to its population for the Union armies than Andover. It is utterly impossible to obtain the names of all who went from this town to uphold the honor of the flag of the free heart's only home, but among them were these: Edward L. Seaman, Jesse C. Green, Thomas R. Adams, Elisha A. Baker, Ira Baker, George H. Brown, John H. Barker. John C. Burdick, Francis M. Deming, Marshall B. Davis, Alonxo B. Green, Elan Green, William Hardy, Daniel Hall, Daniel H. Kemp, John Letts, William H. Lewis, George Porter, Bradley W. Smith, George Skinner, Philetus Studor, Samuel Wheaton, Perry G. Wells, Ebenezer Youngs, Joseph Bradley, Fulton Bundy, Lucien W. Brundage, Clark Boyd, Co. H, 85th N. Y. V.; Charles F. Davis, Henry G. Davis, Co. C, 85th N. Y. V.; Homer D. Perry, Robert R. Parshall, Andrew Lovell, James Woolhiser, Co. C, 57th N. Y. V.; Eldon H. Chase, B. C. Smith, Oscar Remington, Levi Baker, John Howe, Roswin Hardy, LeRoy Greene, Robert Ware, Myron Tanner, Loren Cole, George L. Morgan, Levi W. Dodge, William E. Callen, Lorenzo D. Henderson, Benjamin Smith, Daniel W, Green, Jared Deming, Daniel T. Graves, Erwin D. Beebe, Jason B. Kaple, Theodore Livermore, Francis Marion Wood. Jonathan W. Houghtaling, Co. E, 1st N. Y. Dragoons; Thomas N. Boyd, 141st N. Y. V.; William Jones, John Williams, Samuel Hunt, Edward Jones, James Jones, Joseph Jones, Nelson Burdick, John Bullard, Co. I, 160th N. Y. V.; Abraham Hamilton, Restin Kemp, Co. H, 160th N. Y. V.; Almond Crandall, Co. B, 189th N. Y. V.; Edwin M. Livermore, Co. C, 170th N. Y. V.; William P. Beebe, Amos Raplee, Louis Hulser, Stephen A. Davis. Co. E, 93d N. Y. V.; Chauncey Baham, 5th N. Y. H. A.

ANDOVER VILLAGE is located on Dike creek in the central part of the town. It was settled in 1807 by Aipheus Baker. Thaddeus Baker very soon thereafter (probably in the same year), located on lands now embraced in the north end of the village; and the hamlet which was the chrysalis of the present handsome and thriving place was, in an early day, locally known as Bakertown. The first schoolhouse in the town was a log structure, "rolled up" in 1822. Within what are now the corporate limits there were at that date but four dweffings, only one frame building, the property of Asa S. Allen, Andover's first merchant and an early pastor of the Congregational church. There was little to hasten the growth of the village during the first half of the century. The products of the sawmills were necessarily drawn by horse teams long distances to market or to streams sufficiently large to admit of rafting the lumber to large towns. With the construction of the Erie Railway the village began to look up somewhat; but until within the last thirty years it made slow growth, when it assumed considerable importance as a shipping point for hay and potatoes and as the center of quite extensive manufacturing industries, notably those of cheese and leather. In 1866, fire destroyed thirteen buildings, including the Presbyterian church, two hotels, one manufactory and several stores. With the rebuilding of the burned district came a better class of buildings, and the first mansard roof in the village covered Andover's first noteworthy public hail, in the Ellis block on the corner of Main and Greenwood streets. The infusion of new blood into the mercantile body and the advent of progressive manulacturers-immediately following the fire-gave an impetus to the growth and prosperity of the village, the momentum of which, under favorable financial and commercial conditions, has since met with no retardation.

The lines of the corporation inclose one square mile having a population approximating 1,000. The assessed valuation is $217,510. One of the best water works systems in Western New York, supplying pure water from never failing springs, for household purposes and affording adequate protection against loss by fire is the property of the village. It was constructed in 1893, at a cost of $20,000. The streets, many of which are shaded by wellgrown trees, intersect each other at right angles and are lighted by natural gas from the plant of the Mutual Gas Company. Natural gas is. also, in great measure, the fuel of the villagers, and the churches, stores and many residences are lighted by it.

The village contains the depot of the Erie Railroad, offices of the Western Union Telegraph, Postal Telegraph, and New York and Pennsylvania Telephone companies, two banks, three insurance agencies, five churches, two hotels, two boarding houses, one opera house, one printing house, one foundry, one machine shop, one tannery, three sawmills, two gristmills, three. lumber and builders' material yards, two hardware and agricultural implement houses, two furniture and undertaking stores, two harness-makers' stores, one jewelry store, five dry goods stores, eight groceries, three fruit stores and restaurants, one merchant tailor, one clothing house, one bakery, four millinery stores, four drug stores, two variety stores, one laundry, two wagon manufactories, one cheese factory, one wholesale cheese house (embracing commodious cold storage), one grain and feed store, three livery stables, draying outfits, three markets, one greenhouse and several shoemakers' and blacksmiths' shops. The promotion and advancement of the industrial and commercial well-being of the place is earnestly sought by a thoroughly competent and energetic board of trade, thus officered: President, E. J. Atwood; vice president, A. M. Burrows; treasurer, W. B. Bundy; secretary, H. A. Benedict; directors, J. Driscoll, L. C. Van Fleet, H. P. Benton, J. C. Ross, Ward Oatley.

The first village officers were: President, Patrick Cannon; clerk, H. C. Norris; treasurer, W. B. Bundy; street commissioner, Abram Slocum; collector, Calvin Slocum. The present 1895 village officers are: President, James Owen; clerk, H. C. Norris; treasurer, W. B. Bundy; street commissioner, Wm. F. Snyder; collector, Homer D. Perry.

The Union Graded School was instituted in 1869. Its first board of education was: President, Daniel S. Bradley; secretary, Flavius J. Baker, M. B.; trustees, W. W. Crandall, M. D., Alonzo Porter, B. Phinney and B. F. Brown. The first collector was Edwin Everett, the first treasurer H. P. Benton. The original cost of the school building (which since its erection has been enlarged and materially improved), including the site, was $3,100. From its inception the school has been prosperous and steadily progressive. It has had these principals: William Wright, James Hargraves, Wiffiam P. Todd, James Sutherland, Alonzo H. Lewis, Silas U. Burdick, Clinton C. McDowell, Mio M. Acker, A. D. Howe, A. C. Mitchell, P. H. Armstrong and Burdett B. Brown. The present principal is Benjamin G. Estes. Dec. 22, 1892, the voters of the district, by a majority of 76, passed favorably upon the question of placing the school under the visitation of the Regents of the University of the State of New York, and the board of education was authorized to raise a sufficient sum of money, not exceeding $1,000 (less the value of books and mechanical appliances then on hand), to purchase the necessary apparatus. Connected with the school is an alumni association (a permanent organization incorporated under a state charter), and a well-ordered literary society, "The Columbian Lyceum," supported by voluntary contributions of the pupils. The academic department is well patronized by non-resident pupils

The Andover State Bank, incorporated Jan. 1, 1894, with a paid-in capital of $25.000, transacts a general banking business on the most liberal terms consistent with conservative banking. The directors (1895) are: B. C. Brundage, president; James Owen, vice president; J. M. Brundage, cashier; U. M. Barney, Frank S. Clark, Harrison Mourhess. The bank has a fine brick building (located on Main St., and completed Jan. 1, 1895), which, with the lot, furniture and fixtures, approximates in value $8,500. The private bank of A. M. Burrows, of which W. B. Bundyis cashier, was estab. lished. in 1884 by B. S. Bradley, for years one of the leading merchants.

Attorneys. - Van Fleet & Phillips, Crayton L. Earley. See chapter on "Courts and Lawyers."

Physicians.-See pages 220 and 221. The present ones are E. M. Still man, F. E. Comstock, Norman P. Brainard and Charles W. O'Donnell.

The Local Press.-The first newspaper published in the town was the Andover Advertiser. In the late "sixties," E. S. Barnard, of Angelica, purchased the plant of the Allegany Radical from Rev. S. B. Dickinson, of Belmont, removed to Andover and established the Advertiser. As a local journal and an exponent of the principles of the Republican party it met with fair success, attaining a considerable circulation. It was published here four or five years and then removed to Cuba. The Citizen and the Express, published respectively by S. A. Clark and S. H. Jennings, were short-lived local papers. In 1887, Hamilton C. Norris and George L. Tucker came in from Belmont and established a book and job printing office, and on August 31st of that year issued the first number of the Andover News. In 1888, H. C. Norris became sole proprietor. From the date of its first issue to the present day the News has been closely identiñed with the interests of the town. It did not,with a grand flourish of trumpets, announce that it had "come to stay "-it stayed. It stood up for the town. It ably advocated every measure calculated to enhance the well-being of the community, to advance the interests of its patrons. It advocated the incorporation of the village, the institution of an academic department in the union school, the construction of water works which should be village property, the organization of a fire department, the promotion of mercantile and manfacturing industries and all measures calculated to develop the healthy and progressive growth of the village and township. The News has now a weekly circulation of about 1,000 copies, nearly half of the issue being delivered at the home postoffice. Its advertising columns plainly evidence the appreciation of the business men of Andover of its merit as an advertising medium.

Lamp hear's Mill at Andover was built by Walter Lamphear. It comprises a grist, saw and planing mill. The gristmill uses the roller process and the sawmffl cuts about 500,000 feet of lumber annually. A mill was burned on this site, May 20, 1879, and immediately rebuilt.

Cochrane's Cheesebox and Barrel Factory was established by Charles Cochrane in 1890; the cheese box department in 1894. In 1892, 5,000 barrels and 15,000 cheese boxes were manufactured.

The Citizens Hose Company No. 1, was organized in December, 1893. It numbers 25 men. In each of the two years since its formation it has won the first prize in the competitive prize drills at the Allegany County Firemen's Annual Convention. The officers of the company are: President, C. W. O'Donnell; vice president, A. B. Burrows; secretary, L. A. Burrows; treasurer, James Pardon; audi-for, Timothy Hyland; trustees, E. J. Atwood, P. C. Lynch, W. H. Phiffips; foreman, W. B. Bundy; assistant foreman, Robert O'Donnell.

SOCIETIES, ETC. - Andover Lodge, No. 558, F. A. M., held its first communication, working under dispensation, Aug. 1. 1864. The charter members were: A. E. V. Durand, Cyrus Clark, George W. Estabrook, Sidney Magee, William B. Clarke, J. T. Mourhess, Joseph L. Williams, Alonzo Porter, Jacob N. Elwell and Fernando S. Maxson. The charter bears date of June 16, 1865. The 1895 officers are: U. B. Proper, W. M.; Orange Smith, S. W.; E. F. Stearns, J. W.; H. C. Norris, Sec.; Edward J. Atwood, Treas.; Elisha R. Carpenter, S. D.; George N. Martin, J. D.; John Swain, Chap.; C. B. Lever, S. M. C.; E. B. Rollins, J. M. C.; J. C. Cartwright, Tyler.

Hawthorn Circle, C. L. S. C. - Miss Amy Spaulding (Mrs. A. J. Travis), by reading in the Chautauqua College course alone in 1882 led the forlorn hope in Andover of that great disseminator of culture and refinement. As an outgrowth, in 1883, what has since been known as Hawthorn Circle, C. L. S. C., was organized, and has since blessed and benefited not less than 60 persons. 35 of whom have graduated in the Chautauqua course. Mrs. H. A. Benedict was its president in 1895, and Mrs. W. H. Phillips its secretary.

Edward L. Seaman Post, No. 481, G. A. R., had as its charter members: H. W. Sanford, George A. Green, J. C. Green, C. H. Richardson, John C. Cartwright, E. H. Carpenter, B. D. Remington, T. N. Boyd, H. Hardy, L. W. Dodge, Seth S. Baker, N. Baker, E. H. Chase, A. C. Crandall. Geo. W. Crandall, W. J. Deming, S. A. Fosbury, N. P. Wood, Isaac Smith, John Angood, Levi Baker, Timothy Baker, John Howe and George W. Wescott. The charter was granted May 7, 1884. The 1895 officers are: T. N. Boyd, commander; J. C. Cartwright, sen. vice commander; A. C. Crandall, jun. vice commander; P. Barrett, officer of the day; Jesse C. Green, quartermaster; Homer D. Perry, officer of the guard; Newell Baker, chaplain.

Mutual Tent, No. 18, K. 0. T. M., was organized Nov. 4, 1885. The charter members were: A. W. Coon, Hiram D. Smith, George B. Herrick, William H. Phillips, Lewis C. Gonter. Stephen P. Robinson, Charles W. O'Donnell, Peter M. Swink, John Benson, Montel W. Davis, Anthony O'Donnell, Samuel C. Kemp, Charles E. Baker, Charles Cochrane, B. C. Cole, John A. Travis. The 1895 officers are: T. Hyland, commander; O. E. Vars, lieut. commander; A. O'Donnell, record keeper; J. J. Warfield, chaplain; C. W. O'Donnell, physician; P. M. Swink, sergeant; D. P. Regan, master at arms; L. Brundage, 1st master of guard; Frank P. Cole, 2d master of guard; George Rogers, picket.

The Euterpe Club, a double male quartet instituted in- June, 1893, is a vocal organization of rare merit and is wellknown in Allegany and adjoining counties. It is composed of the following named young men: James P. Cannon, leader; Arthur B. Burrows. business manager; T. K. Regan, Frank W. Burrows, John E. Cannon, Miles H. Herrick, William C. Cannon and E. A. Richardson.

The Excelsior Band was organized as it now exists in December, 1895. It is one of the best brass bands in the county and is liberally patronized. Its officers are: President, Ernest Smith; leader, Frank Bloss; secretary. Henry Carr; treasurer, Aivin Clark; business manager, Arthur L. Jones.

Also see Andover Settlers

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy