BY JOHN S. MINARD.
AS THE OLDEST, and for a time the only town in the county, for a half
century and more the sole county seat, and about whose early history
cluster so many interesting associations and pleasant memories, Angelica is
entitled to a prominent place in this history. The town was formed by an
act of the Legislature, passed Feb. 25, 1805, and described as "being in
width twelve miles," just that of the Morris Reserve, and in length "from
south to north extending thirty-four miles from the Pennsylvania line," tak-
ing in about two-thirds of the towns of Granger and Grove. It was taken
from Leicester, and when erected was a part of Genesee county. (The vil-
lage had been founded three or four years before, and named by Capt. Philip
Church for his mother, Angelica, the eldest daughter of Gen. Philip Schuyler.)
While a part of Genesee Angelica was represented upon the board of
supervisors by Benjamin Riggs and Luke Goodspeed. To get from Angelica
to Batavia to attend a meeting was an arduous undertaking, requiring a
journey of about two and one-half days, with the chances in favor of a rest
at night on the ground, the only roads being the primitive paths of the
pioneers and the trails of the red men. In 1803 the board had "Resolved
unanimously that twenty miles be considered a day's journey, to be com-
puted going and returning, and that each supervisor be entitled to $2 for 20
miles." From the erection of Allegany, April 7, 1806, Angelica was the only
town in the county until March, 1808. Then by act of the legislature the
three western ranges of townships were set back to Genesee, and a range
of townships on the east taken from Steuben and added, thus making Angel-
ica village, which had by the act of 1806 been designated as the county seat,
exactly in the center east and west, and almost exactly in the geographical
center of the county. By this act (1808) the several towns of Alfred, Ossian,
Nunda and Caneadea were created, the two latter towns said to have been
taken from Angelica; but how Caneadea and the north and west parts of
Nunda ever came to be a part of Angelica the writer has never been able to
learn. At this time (1808) Angelica took the form and size shown in the map
at the close of the first decade.
From the proceedings of the board of supervisors of Genesee county for
1807 it appears that Luke Goodspeed represented Angelica, although the
act erecting the county of Allegany was passed more than a year and a half
before. Doubtless this was agreeable with the provisions of some act of the
legislature. From 1810 to 1820 Angelica remained unchanged in territorial
extent, but soon after the progress of settlement was so rapid as to make
406 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
the dismemberment of this old mother of towns an imperative necessity,
and Allen, Amity, Birdsall, Scio, and parts of Alfred, Andover, and Inde-
pendence as then constituted, were set off, reducing it to the area of two
standard-sized towns, and leaving it quite irregular in shape. The next
decade, 1831-40, saw Angelica reduced to its present size and proportions.
It now contains 22,740 acres and the asssessed value of real and personal
property was $573,680 in 1894. .
Angelica is drained by the Genesee river, which enters it about a mile
and a half east of the southwest corner, and leaves it about two and one-half
miles north of the same corner. Baker's creek from the north discharging
into Angelica creek, which runs through the town from east to west nearly
in the center, and their numerous small tributaries. These streams in some
places break the surface into deep ravines, as at Joncey, one mile west of
the village, where a high iron bridge spans a deep gorge, which presents
rocky and precipituous banks. The soil on the uplands is generally a clayey
loam, and a gravelly loam prevails in the valleys. The original timber pre-
sented many varieties, pine and oak of superior quality being found in con-
siderable quantities. The town is distinguished as "Township 4, Range 2,
of the Morris Reserve" and was subdivided into lots by Major Moses Van
Campen in 1810 or 11. In 1830 the population was 998; 1835, 1,502; 1840,
1,251; 1845, 1,329; 1850, 1,592; 1855, 1,832; 1860, 1,708; 1865, 1,663; 1870, 1,643;
1875, 1,547; 1880, 1,620; 1890, 1,749.
Settlement was commenced in 1801 by Philip Church, who that year with
an exploring party, consisting of Evart VanWickle, John Gibson, Moses Van-
Campen (who acted as guide), Stephen Price and John Lewis made a thor-
ough reconnoissance of the Church tract of 100,000 acres. The site for the
village being determined, active operations began. John Gibson, afterward
the first sheriff of the county, Abram Post and Arad Rice were, next to
Church, first to erect the rude log cabins. In 1802 Capt. Church erected a
sawmill. A log land-office was also put up and a frame house by Evart Van-
Wickle. A road was cut from Almond to Angelica by Silas Ferry and John
Ayers. Joseph Taylor settled in 1802, and opened the first public house on
the site so long occupied by the Exchange Hotel, and Capt. Church estab-
lished a store* which was conducted by John Gibson. In a short time there
was quite a village, most of the houses being built of logs. John Gibson this
year bought 80 acres of land bounded north by Main street and west by
Olean street, at one dollar an acre, and was bound by the contract "to put
up within a year a frame building in ground size, at least 12x16 ft."
In 1803 Capt. Church put up a gristmill, the site being identical with the
Joncey mill of to-day. The first death was of Ira Stephens, who, on the
authority of Mr. Gibson, was killed in a quarrel over cards at Joseph Wilson's
inn, and he was the first one buried in the Angelica village cemetery. The
first birth in town was of Catharine Mullender, date not ascertained, and
Moses Van Campen Chamberlain was the first white male child to make his
*The store stood where is now the Presbyterian church. So says John Gibson.
appearance. The first school was taught in the winter of 1804-5 by "Widow"
Smith. The nearest postoffice was at Bath, and the people hired Wm.
Barney to make a monthly trip to carry and bring the letters, and do the
little errands for the neighborhood. As early as 1804, Alvin Burr, an ances-
tor of Moses Burr, a native of Connecticut, came to Angelica from Bingham-
ton. He was a lawyer. James Mapes, the ancestor of many of the name in
the county, came here about 1804, settling near Angelica. John Hooker
came from Vermont in 1807, when it is said there were but 3 houses in the
village, and his brother, Asel Hooker, according to family tradition, built the
first frame house in the town. Vial Thomas, the worthy centenarian, a
native of Rhode Island, came in February, 1810, and for three-quarters of a
century lived a good life here (see sketch).
The first town-meeting was held at Joseph Taylor's on the "first Tues-
day in April," 1805, where they elected Benjamin Riggs, supervisor; Joseph
S. Hall, town clerk; Luke Goodspeed, Sylvanus Russell and Elijah Church,
assessors; John T. Hyde, William Barney and Jacob S. Holt, commissioners
of highways; John T. Hyde, collector; David Church, constable; William
Barney and Evart VanWickle, overseers of the poor; Stephen Waterman,
Thomas Call, John Bennett, Ezra Bacon and George Otto, overseers of high-
ways; Joseph Taylor, Abisha Cole and William S. Heydon, fence viewers.
At the election held there April 30, 1805, John Nicholas received
16 votes for senator, Nathaniel Lake 1. Alexander Rhea for member of
assembly received 30 votes, Ezra Potter 25, Daniel W. Lewis 16 and Jeremiah
Munson 12. The discrepancy of 66 votes in the number cast for the two
offices and member of assembly was probably owing to the fact that different
and higher property qualifications were required of those who voted for
senator. When it is remembered that the town was then thirty-four miles
in extent from north to south, and twelve miles east and west, its sparse
population is vividly impressed upon the mind, and still more, when it is
considered that Angelica village furnished a majority of the votes.
Roads were surveyed and recorded the first year, "from Angelica to
Indian line, or Caneadea; from Angelica to the south line of Van Campen's
farm; from Angelica to Philipsburg mills; to Philips creek; to Vandermark's
creek; to Dike's settlement." In 1807 the vote on governor stood "for
Morgan Lewis, 37; for Daniel D. Tompkins, 28." Wolves were numerous,
and a bounty of $2.50 was offered for each one killed in town and panthers
were included. In 1809 89 votes were cast at the annual town meeting. In
1806-7 Angelica received a considerable and distinguished accession to its
population by the setttlement here of a number of important French political
exiles, the d'Autremonts, Du Ponts, etc.
Angelica freeholders in 1808: John Ayers, Ezra Bacon, Abraham Baker,
Wm. Barney. Robert Barr, John Bennett, John Bunnell, Christian Burns,
Abisha Cole, John Cole, Stephen Cole, Harry Davis, Philip Church, Alex
D'Autremont, Augustus D'Autremont, Victor DuPont, Edward Dodd, David
Downing, Isaac Dike, Philip Fox, Asahel Franklin, John Freeman, John
408 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
Gibson, Luke Goodspeed, Nathaniel Goodspeed, Arnold Hill, Timothy Hyde,
John T. Hyde, Ebenezer Hyde, Wm. Heydon, Philo Ingraham, Ami Holt,
Shubald Johnson, Joseph Knight, Jacob Manning, Hiram Munson, John
Mullender, Samuel Neilson, Stephen B. Nichols, William Peas, Jonathan
Rawson, Isaac Rawson, Erald Rice, George Renwick, James Renwick, Wm.
Poole, Edward Rice, Philip Riggs, Benjamin Riggs, Stephen Rogers, Solo-
mon Tracey, Sylvanus Russell, Moses Van Campen, Samuel Van Campen,
Evert Van Wickle, Stephen Waterman, Corner Waterman, Horatio Water-
house, William Higgins and Silas Knight.
Interesting, as throwing some light on the condition of affairs in Angel-
ica, at this early time, this bill of sale is introduced:
"Bill of sale for Charlotte, to Azugustus D'Autremont." "Know all men by these pres-
ents, that I, Victor Du'Pont of the town of Angelica, county of Allegany and state of New York,
for and in consideration of the sum of two hundred dollars, in hand paid to me by Mr. D'Au-
tremont, for my black wench named Charlotte, which I have bought from Mordicia Hale, Esq.,
with her boy, now four weeks old, said girl to serve Mr. D'Autremont for twenty years, faith-
fully and honestly, after which time I warrant her free if she behaves herself properly during
the time she has to serve. The boy to serve Mr. D'Autremont till he is 28 years old, as the law
directs. And I do for myself, heirs, assigns, executors and administrators, quit and renounce
all claims to said wench and boy.
Angelica, this 15th day of August, 1809.-------------------------------- V. DU'PONT.
Signed and delivered in presence of ------------------AUGUSTUS D'AUTREMONT.
" I Philip Church of the town of Angelica, Allegany county, state of New York, farmer,
do hereby certify that a female child called Lucy, aged ten years and seven months, was born
in the city of New York, of a female slave called Deane belong to John B. Church, Esq., and
afterward to myself.
Recorded Sept. 12, 1815----------------------------------------------PHILIP CHURCH.
E. VAN WICKLE, Town Clerk."
"I Evart Van Wickle of the town of Angelica, Allegany county state of New York, citizen,
do hereby certify that a male child called Perry, aged one month, was born in the town, county
and state aforesaid in my family of a female slave called Elcey. Witness my hand this twenty-
fifth day of August eighteen hundred and sixteen.
Recorded Sept. 2, 1816. E. ----------------------------------------------------- E. VAN WICKLE.
E. VAN WICKLE, Town Clerk."
In this connection the following certificates are also introduced, as the
best kind of history:
"I Philip Church, of the town of Angelica, Allegany county, state of New York, farmer, do
hereby certify, that a female child called Catharine, aged two months and nine days, was born
in my family of a female slave, called Mary. Witness my hand this twelfth day of September
eighteen hundred and fifteen.
Recorded 12th Sept. 1815. -------------------------------------
E. VAN WICKLE, Town Clerk."
" I Philip Church, of the town of Angelica, Allegany county, state of New York, farmer, do
hereby certify that a male child called Henry, aged three years and ten months and eleven days,
was born in my family of a female slave called Chloe. Witness my hand this twelfth day of
September eighteen hundred and fifteen.
Recorded Sept. 12, 1&5,"
But very few slaves were ever held in the county, and all it is believed in
In 1805 Major Moses Van Campen removed from McHenry Valley in
Almond, to Angelica, and in 1808 built the stately brick residence where he
lived so long, a mile east of the park. Wm. Y. Little now owns the place.
November 10, 1807, a "court of general sessions of the peace" was or-
ganized at the public house of Evart Van Wickle, now the residence of J. S.
Rockwell, Esq., with Moses Van Campen and Evart Van Wickle, "Esqrs.,"
judges, and Joseph Taylor and William Higgins, Esqrs., "assistant justices."
This was the first court held in the county. (See "Courts and Lawyers.")
In 1809 the first bridge in the county, over the Genesee river, was erected
at the "Transit," begun by William Redfield and finished by Jonathan Mil-
lett. Jan. 9, 1808, a meeting was held at Evart Van Wickle's; and steps
taken preliminary to the founding of a Masonic lodge. The first Masonic
funeral in the county was that of Horatio Waterhouse held in Angelica Jan.
2, 1813. In 1811 a turnpike road from Angelica to Olean was constructed,
it having previously been finished from Bath to Angelica. This was for
years a main thoroughfare, and gave great impetus to the growth of Angel-
ica, by putting it on one of the great routes to the great west.
The first meeting of the board of supervisors of which we have record
was held in 1812, in the upper room of the jail, or goal as they then called it.
Many sessions of the early boards were held at the residence of Major Van
Campen. In 1804 the population was 555.
From 1812 for many years Angelica was the most important place in the
county. The best lawyers of the country were attracted here by the pros-
pect of good and increasing business, its enterprising business men sup-
plied the people from the remote parts of the county with goods, and for
years it was the best, and about the only market. The writer has been per-
mitted to examine the journal kept by Mr. Augustus D'Antremout in his
store at Angelica, from Oct. 29, 1817, to Aug. 13, 1819, and judging that a
few excerpts from its pages will give a better idea of the times, prices, hab-
its of living and condition of the people than whole pages of dissertation,
will here introduce a few items:
July 23, 1818, Josenh H. Raymond is credited
"by cash received in a bill of Northumber-
land Union and Columbia Bank, No. 22, $5. Deducting 10 per cent. $4.50." Aug. 5th the
same party is charged, "To remittance on one 5 dollar bill of same bank, which he had trusted
me on discount, $4.50," from which it seems the bill was either not genuine, or the bank was
not good. Postage was simply enormous in those days. Archibald Taylor is charged "To
balance on 1/2 pound of tea 9 cents, and cash to pay for a letter in the postoffice, 2o cents."
"My account" is found charged with "4 pigeons from Oliver S. King, 16 cents, and a day's
work, same party, 62 1/2 cents." English blister-steel is booked at 3 shillings per pound, cinna-
mon, 12 1/2 cents per ounce, coffee 56 1/4 cents. July 18, 1818, "My account" is charged with
26 pounds venison, 78 cents. Prices of venison fluctuated considerably, for we find instances where
it is charged at one shilling per pound, and in barrel quantities at $10 per barrel. Tea is
found charged, from $1.25 to $2.50 per pound. "Gunpowder" "Young Huyson" and "Huy-
son Skin," were some of the kinds. July 11, 1818, this entry is made, "Sundry articles sold this
410 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
week $34.50" and this, "Expenses
Dr., to John Ayers by the license for retailing liquors $5.75,"
This could not be considered "high license,"
The charges for liquor of various kinds, but mostly whiskey, were numerous, sometimes as
many as fifteen on a page, and it would seem that every body used it, the most honored names
of pioneer days appearing in connection with charges for rum, brandy, whiskey and wine.
"One-half pound sulfer" is charged at 18 3/4 cents." Alvin Burr is charged with "1/4 yards
skin for padding (?) 62 1/2 cents." (He was a son-in-law of Major Moses Van Campen, a law-
yer and surveyor.) At another time he is charged with "one-half pound raisins at 3 shillings
per pound. Probably they "had company" at his house and half-a-pound would answer the
immediate requirements. How does that compare with "7 pounds for 25 cents"? A paper of
pins, the old-fashioned ones with twisted wire heads often slipping off, is charged at 37 1/2 cents,
while a credit of "8 quarts of black raspberries, 25 cents," is found near by, John Kinghorn built
the first tannery in town sometime previous to 1818. Aug. 14, 1818, he is credited "By 9 sides
of upper leather and 20 pairs of shoes $61.25," and March 15, 1819, he is charged with "1 3/4
yards superfine B. cloth at $8, $14; 8 pounds of nails at one shilling sixpence, $1.50, and one
spelling book 31 1/4 cents. Mr. K's name appears frequently. His tannery was back of the
present school building. James Jennings is charged with "Sundries to pay in grindstones,
$3.31 1/4," and "sundries to pay in good wheat $2.81 1/4." Aug. 22, 1818, John McIntosh is
credited "by 7 grindstones, 8cwt, 1 qr, 20 pounds, at 12 shillings, $12.65, and Sept. 2, is charged
with "one cowbell at $2.25, one pair of cards $1.50, 2 hats $5.
Mr. D'Autremont evidently did quite a business
in grindstones, finding a sale for them in
Geneva, witness the following which also gives some idea of freight charges and expenses. Feb.
19,1819, Seth Marvin is credited "By carrying and bring load from Geneva, $43," and
March 19. "By 2 days going to Arkport for Wagon, $6." G.P. Ketchum is credited " By 3
days with team $4.50." P. Church is charged with "1 pound Salt Peter $1," and "2 pounds
Muscovado sugar at 2 shillings sixpence," while Amos Peabody is charged with "3 1/4 pounds of
sugar, at three shillings sixpence, $1.42." Jacob Post is credited "By cutting 16 cords wood
at two shillings sixpence, $5." and "one-half months wages at $10, $5," and is charged with "1
pair taps 25 cents ; 1 hat $5 and 1 vest $3.50." The wood must have been three or four feet
long as they used fire places then. Goods for this store were bought in New York, Geneva,
Canandaigua, Philadelphia and Bath. Here is an entry from which we get a glimpse of the
commercial agent. "Aug. 24, 1818. Bought this day from Mr. Sidmon, their agent, $260 of
goods of G. Washburn & Co."
Angelica people, some of them at least, indulged in pretty fine things, as appears from this,
"John Galt Dr. To 1 3/4 yards superfine blue B. cloth at $10, $12.50." This was evidently for a
pair of pantaloons" (so called in those days). Now when Mr. Galt had bought his trimmings
and paid his tailor's bill, he had a "pair of pantaloons" costing him from $16 to $19. How
many men in Allegany county now wear trousers costing $12 even? "John Moore, Cr. By 2
dressed deer skins $1.12 1/2." This would be called cheap in these days.
Wolves abounded, large bounties were paid for their destruction, and quite a business was
done in "wolf certifcates." It appears that Mr. D'Autremont had a "wolf scalp" account. We
find this, "Wolf Scalps Dr. To wolf scalp certificates $185," and all along are found entries
of transactions in wolf scalps and certificates, as June 4, 1819, "Wm. Foster Cr. by full grown
wolf $20" "Cash Cr. By expenses to go and see Salt Petre mine," no amount appears against
it. Where was the mine? "Calvin Mapes Dr. To 2 ounces indigo, three shillings-75
cents." Nutmegs are charged at one shilling each. As this was some years prior to the re-
ported appearance of the wooden article, let us hope that these were real ones.
In early days a distillery stood where the schoolhouse now stands. Wm.
B. Rochester, a son of the founder of the city of Rochester, settled in An-
gelica about 1820. He was an eminent lawyer, afterward sent from here
to congress, then promoted to the bench of the supreme court. "Old Squire
Renwick" opened the first tailor shop; just how early we cannot say. John
Gibson's public house was where Warren Hooker lives. He built the first
bridge across the creek on Olean street. Martin Geiger was the first black-
smith, making his advent quite early, about the time of the saw and grist-
mill building. Dr. Charles afterward lived on the site of his shop. About
1820 Alex. D'Autremont kept a public house where Mr. Lightfoot's grocery
and bakery is. In October, 1820, Franklin Cowdery started the first news-
paper in the county, the Angelica Republican. Before that Bath and
Dansville were the nearest places where printing was done.
In September, 1837, Laurens and Andrew C. Hull completed a woolen
mill at Joncey, the construction of which had taken nearly two years. Seven
looms were run, and 10 men and 7 or 8 girls employed. The same parties
soon after erected a scythe and edge tool factory across the road from the
woolen mill. A carding mill was also included in the enterprises conducted
under the same cover, the power being a "20 foot" overshot water-wheel.
The edge tool business thrived only a few years, and the building was con-
verted into a pail factory. This building was burned in winter of 1855-6,
and the last carding mill in town was run by Ormas Farr and F. Camahl, on
the hill north of the gristmill, from 1860 to 65. In 1842 Alpha Morse bought
an interest, and the firm became Hull & Morse, who soon constructed the
gristmill now standing. About 1854 or 5 the late Albert Brown bought the
old factory building and converted it into a paper mill, which was burned in
1855. Mr. Brown rebuilt it and continued the business until his death in
1873, which resulted from falling into a vat of liquid heated for use. The
paper business was then conducted by a son of Mr. Brawn and a Mr. Lock-
hart, nephew of James Lockhart, under the firm name of Brown & Lock-
hart. This building was burned in 1888 or 9, and has never been rebuilt.
Hull & Morse sold the gristmill to Wm. J. Nikes, who not long after sold it
to Henry Brown. He sold it to Smith Davis and Hiram Huntley, who sold
it to Blair & Franklin. The mill is now rented and run by Mr. Shultz
Joncey for fifty years was the center of considerable business activity. It
furnished for a good part of the time the numerous lumber camps as far
away as into Pennsylvania with feed, flour and meal.
A long time ago a foundry and machine shop was erected on the south
side of Main street and run for a number of years. The building has disap-
Dairying is the principal branch of agriculture, and, outside of the
village, there are two cheese factories, one, the "Keystone," in the north
part of the town, owned and run by John Lamonte, the other the "Union"
is over a mile east of the village. It is owned and operated by Charles F.
Potter, and made 140,000 lbs. of cheese in 1894.
Presbyterian Church.--Probably the earliest religions services were con-
ducted in 1811 by Rev. Robert Hubbard, a Presbyterian though Rev. Sam'l
Parker, a missionary, may have preached once or twice in 1810. A church
412 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
organized May 6, 1812, by Rev. John Niles, pastor of the First Presbyterian
church of Bath, with six members, David Chamberlain, Elizabeth Chamber-
lain, Mrs. Prudence Johnson, Moses Van Campen, Margaret Van Campen,
and James Renwick. Moses Van Campen was the first and for some time
the only ruling elder. Three months after, Rev. Robert Hubbard was
installed as pastor of this church and the one at Alfred, the ceremony taking
place on the steps of the house of Evart Van Wickle, now the residence of J.
S. Rockwell. The first services were held at the schoolhouse, courthouse or
in private houses, as inclination and convenience suited. Mr. Hubbard
continued his labors until 1825-6, when declining prosperity resulted in the
dismissal of Mr. Hubbard and the suspension of services and the organiza-
tion ceased, but in May, 1827, steps were taken toward a re-organization.
Eight persons presented themselves as ready to unite in reviving the church.
During the next two weeks three more joined them and the re-organization
was perfected May 20, 1827.
In October, 1827, Rev. Moses Hunter was installed pastor, and Samuel
S. Haight, Wm. Geiger, Vial Thomas and Moses Van Campen were elected
elders and Daniel Lawrence deacon. Mr. Hunter was opposed to the pre-
valent drinking habit of those days, and determined to make the church a
distinctively temperance church. He succeeded after a stormy session in
effecting the passage of a resolution requiring a pledge of total abstinence
of all its members and candidates for membership. The church prospered,
and during 1830 and 1831 erected the first church edifice, on ground a few
rods east of the present one. It was a substantial plain old-fashioned affair,
with elevated pulpit (which stood between the doors), a raised platform,
afterward converted into a gallery, at the rear for the choir, and square
pews. It was dedicated in September, 1831, and used as a place of public
worship until the winter of 1856, when it was transferred to the trustees of
the Angelica Academy and used for school purposes.
In August, 1833, Mr. Hunter resigned. Rev. Samuel Wells May suc-
ceeded him, serving until the spring of 1835. Rev. Leverett Hull was
installed pastor Sept. 29, 1835, and for over two years proved a very success-
ful one, there being large accessions during his ministry. From November,
1837, to September, 1850, no regular pastor was settled, and the church was
served in 1838 by Abial Parmalee, 1839 by O. W. Norton, 1840 by Charles
B. Smith, 1841 George M. Coon, 1842 James Smith, 1843-4 Laurens Hull,
1845-48 Horace Fraser, 1849 F. V. Warren, 1850 Samuel Center. Rev.
Tyrrell Blair was installed as the fourth pastor Sept. 30, 1850, and served
faithfully and acceptably until his death in 1855. Rev. Henry E. Niles was
unanimously called and entered upon his work in May, 1856. It was during
his pastorate that the present church edifice was erected. It was dedicated
in January, 1857. A parsonage was purchased, much vigor was inspired in
church work, and many new members received. About this time the Pres-
bytery of Angelica was dissolved, and for convenience the church became
Congregational in February, 1857.
Early in 1859 the Genesee Valley Presbytery was formed at Olean, and
this church was represented, and, Jan. 18, 1859, it was again re-organized
with these officers: Elders, H. S. Beals, Alfred Lockhart, W. J. Niles, A. B.
Palmer; deacons, Saxton Burr and Vial Thomas. Mr. Niles' pastorate was
very successful. In May, 1860, Rev. Elijah W. Stoddard was installed
pastor, and served acceptably during the years of the Civil War. In Octo-
ber, 1864, Rev. Elias L. Boing was called and in the three years of his ministry
the church membership was largely increased, the church edifice remodelled
and an organ purchased. Rev. John Reid was installed as the sixth pastor
in June, 1868, and remained until April, 1874. Rev. F. S. Hayden was acting
pastor from August, 1874, to May, 1877. In November, 1877, Rev. Robert
Roy Kendall was called to the pastorate, and was acting pastor in 1879. The
elders that year were: C. P. Arnold, James Bonham, Alfred Lockhart, A. B.
Palmer and J. E. Robinson; superintendent of Sunday school, Frank S.
Smith; trustees, C. P. Arnold, James Lockhart, Robert Lightfoot and S. G.
Horner. Since 1879 the following ministers have been pastors: Rev. Daniel
McLeod from 1883 to 1889, and Rev. James A. Miller, Ph.D., who settled in
1890, and is the present pastor. The church is in a prosperous condition.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church.--Rev. Davenport Phelps, a missionary, was
the first to hold Episcopal services in Angelica, and in 1821 the Right Rev.
John Henry Hobart, D. D., held services in the court house which was then
quite new. Rev. Caleb Hopkins however was the first to establish regu-
lar services. In 1827 the parish was duly organized with Philip Church and
James Wilson wardens, during the ministrations of Rev. William W. Bost-
wick. In 1828 he ceased his labors here and the same year Bishop Hobart
preached in the court house confirming thirty persons. Rev. Bostwick was
succeeded by Rev. M. P. Bennett, who resigned in 1830, and, in 1831, Rev.
Mr. Bostwick laid the corner stone of a church edifice. In August, 1831,
Rev. Lewis Thibou assumed the charge of the parish, and in August, 1832,
Bishop Onderdonk visited the parish, confirming nine persons. In 1833 the
church, partly completed, was damaged by lightning. August 30, 1834, the
edifice being completed consecration services were held by Bishop Onder-
donk, and May 1, 1835, Rev. Thibou resigned, after which for a time Rev.
N. F. Bruce conducted services. Rev. Thibou again became rector May 1,
1838, continuing until the spring of 1857. Fire destroyed the church Feb.
10, 1847, and July 23, 1848, a new structure, the present one, having been
completed it was consecrated, Right Rev. William H. Delaney, D. D., officiat-
ing. Rev. Robert Horwood became rector in June, 1857, and resigned June
13, 1863. He was followed by Rev. M. Schofield, who resigned Feb. 10, 1867.
>From 1867 to 1870 Rev. Joseph Hunter was rector, and Rev. J. C. L. Jones
officiated as rector from 1871 to 1872, followed by Rev. John Leech 1872-74.
March 19, 1876, Rev. Schofield again took the rectorship, supplying Christ
Church, Belvidere, half the time. In succession, since 1879, as their names
occur, the rectors have been Revs. A. J. Warner, W. F. Shero, Dwight
Galloupe, and F. W. Beecher, the present incumbent. During the pastorate
414 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
of Mr. Galloupe, a society was organized at Belfast and a beautiful little
chapel erected. The present officers of St. Paul's church are C. D. Buchan-
an, senior warden; Lewis Branson, junior warden; A. T. Wilson, L. T. Hooker,
Dr. H. E. Cooley, W. S. Gibson, W. G. Graham, N. H. Curtis, H. B. Warner,
George Graham, vestrymen. In the flourishing Sunday school of this
church, the singing, rendered by a child's choir organized by Mr. Galloupe,
is exceptionally fine.
Within the past fifteen years a new pipe organ costing $1,300 has been
put in, and extensive repairs to the church have been made. The edifice is
beautiful and attractive within, and embellished by gifts from members and
others. Mrs Schofield gave it a beautiful screen, and placed within it a
memorial plate to her father, Rev. Lewis Thibou. The Sunday school has
given a memorial window to the memory of "Mary Welsh, Mary Davidson
and the dear departed of the Sunday school," and expects soon to have in place
a window to the memory of Thomas C. Thornton, long its superintendent.
Mrs. D. D. Gardiner put in a window to the memory of a niece, Miss Cald-
well. Mr. W. C. Hooker left a fund to procure a memorial window for his
father and mother. Mrs. Dr. Wakely placed a memorial window to the mem-
ory of her mother, Mrs. Schofield. Mrs. Grover placed a marble slab to the
memory of her sister, Miss Clara Whitmore. Miss Emily Whitmore placed
a memorial window to Mrs. Emily Grover, and Mr. Lewis T. Hooker one to
the memory of his wife. Richard H. Charles left $5,000, the interest of
which is devoted to the support of the church.
Methodist Episcopal Church.--The early records of this church have been
lost. It is said that the society was organized as early as 1827, and the first
house of worship, a wood structure, was dedicated in 1830. For many years
this church was the center of a large circuit, but in 1879 the pastor had
charge of but two outside appointments, where services were held on alter-
nate Sundays. Since 1835 the following pastors have served this church,
in succession: 1835-6, Rev. M. Kinney; 1836-7, A. Wright; 1837-9, Asa Or-
cutt;1839, Carlos Gould; 1841-2, M. St. John; 1842-3, Ira Brownson; 1843-5
T. M. McElhany; 1845-6, Milo Scott; 1846-7, S. Doolittle; 1847-9, Carlos
Gould; 1849-50, V. Brownell; 1850-51, A. Barber; 1851-3, W. Haskill; 1853-4.
M. Guernsy; 1854-6, G. J. Dubois; 1856-7, R. Harrington; 1857-8, E. D. Rosa;
1858-60, John Spinks; 1860-62, E. P. Huntington;1862-63, J. B. Knott; 1863-
66, W. Cochran; 1866-7, L. T. Hawkins; 1867-69, William D. Taylor; 1860-70,
W. C. Mathison; 1870-72, Azel Fillmore; 1872-75, L. S. Crittenden; 1875-77,
J. L. Rusbridge and W. C. Wilbor; 1877, C. Dillenbeck; 1877-9; E. P. Hub-
bell. Since 1879 the pastors have been Rev. E. P. Hubbell, Rev. Benjamin
Copeland, Rev. E. B. Williams. Rev. Dr. I. T. Walker, Rev. M. C. Dean, Rev.
C. G. Lowell, and Rev. M. E. Hedding. The present brick church edifice
was dedicated in October, 1873. The society has a good parsonage adjacent
to the church. The property is free from debt and the church in a flourish-
Angelica Baptist Church.*--This church was organized July 18, 1834, by
members of the second church of Allen, and a few others having letters from
other churches. Their names are: David C. Hammond, George Hammond,
Josiah Whitman, Jr., Jesse Parmeter, Charlotte Whitman, Charlotte Whit-
man 2d, Kaziah Whitman, Permelia Hammond. Jane McBride, Electa Par-
meter, Orris Goodrich, Rachel Goodrich, Joel Fosdick, Sally Fosdick, Wil-
liam Webster. Mrs. Sarah Webster was the only one of these living in 1890.
The new church had no pastor but Elder John Evans was with them for
counsel and advice, and was moderator of the meeting. A brother, H. E.
Prosser was "licensed" by the church and preached to them for six months.
In August, September and October, 1835, Eld. J. P. Evans labored for the
church. In November Rev. James Salman a licentiate was engaged, and
received $100 and "three months board" for a year's labor. In June, 1836,
he was ordained as an evangelist. In May, 1837, the church voted to call
Rev. E. T. Jacobs, with a salary of "$150 and wood furnished." Then came
two years without preaching, when Rev. R. Sabin came and served them one
year, from spring of 1840-41. In August, 1841, Rev. V. Bemis began his
labors, and he was the first pastor to continue for more than a year. About
this time the state convention aided the church by appropriating to it $100
per year. After Rev. Bemis' four years there was a vacancy of nearly a
year, when Rev. C. G. Smith was called, and ministered for a year, succeeded
by Rev. B. B. Call. In July, 1849, Rev. C. A. Newland was engaged and con-
tinued until May, 1850. From this time until September. 1853, there was no
pastor. In December, 1853, Rev. W. H. Randall began work, preaching here
and at Belmont, but the records do not state how long he remained.
December, 1857, came Rev. C. B. Reed, and, during the ensuing year,
work on a house of worship (which had been commenced) was considerably
progressed, and Jan. 20, 1859, having received substantial assistance from
the Tabernacle Baptist Church, New York, and Rev. Lispenard Steward, a
member of that church, and his daughter, the church was dedicated. Prior
to this the meetings had been held at private houses, the schoolhouse, the
court house, and occasionally at the M. E. church. Rev. Orrin Munger suc-
ceeded Mr. Reed in October, 1860. He died March 1, 1862. October, 1862,
Rev. J. M. Shotwell began a pastorate of one year, then for seven years the
church had no pastor, but was quite regularly "supplied." In 1870. Rev.
J. R. Merriman began his labors as pastor, remaining three years. From
April, 1873, to May, 1879, the church was without a pastor but was supplied
part of the time by Rev. Mr. Howd and Rev. R. Sabin. Early in 1879 Rev.
P. I. Meade began a pastorate which closed May 1, 1883. Then came three
years more without a pastor, when Rev. R. K. Hammond labored for six
months. In November, 1886, Rev. J. Hendrick the present pastor began
his labors. The church is in a healthy condition and doing good work.
*Chiefly condensed from Rev. J. Hendrick's historical sermon, delivered
on the 59th anniversary of its es-
416 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
Since 1879 nearly $3,000 have been expended in improvements. The only
debt existing is a small one on the parsonage purchased.
Catholic Church.*--The early history of the Catholic church in Angelica
is contemporaneous with the history of the church in Scio, Belmont, Bel-
videre and Friendship. These were the first Catholic missions in Allegany
county, and at first they constituted but one parish of which Rev. Michael
O'Brien, now of Lowell, Mass., was the first pastor. Prior to his appoint-
ment to this charge, which was in 1847, mass was frequently celebrated at
the above mentioned place in private dwellings. The fifth Catholic service
in the county was held at Angelica in 1844. Rev. Thomas McAvoy of Buffalo
officiated. He said mass, and preached twice that year in the courthouse.
In 1845 Rev. J. Meyers of Rochester held service three times in the same
building for the Catholic families of Angelica. During the next year and
till 1851 Rev. Michael O'Brien attended to the spiritual wants of the people,
He lived, at first, in Greenwood, and having all of this county and a portion
of Steuben for his parish, he could not have services at Angelica very often
or regularly. In 1848 he removed to Hornellsville, built St. Ann's church
there and became its first pastor. From here he attended all Catholic mis-
sions in Allegany and many in Steuben county. He now held service about
once a month in Angelica, saying mass sometimes in the courthouse and
sometimes at the house of John Crosby, not far from the present home of
Mrs. Margaret Ward in Collins settlement.
Father O'Brien had from the time he moved to Hornellsville been collect-
ing money to build a church in Angelica. Philip Church, Jr., Richard
Charles, Mr. Paxton, and the Angelica Catholic families (about fifteen) gave
generous subscriptions. The edifice was begun in 1848, but it was not com-
pleted till late in 1850. Shortly after Rev. Michael O'Brien was transferred
to other fields of labor. His successor did not come for about two months,
and so the Angelica church was not used for sacred service till 1851, when
it was dedicated by Rt. Rev. John Timon, Bishop of Buffalo. The first
trustees were Messrs. John Crosby and Timothy Culbert, and prominent
among its first members and supporters were: Patrick Cline, Daniel Sulli-
van, Edward Howe, P. Keenan, John Haire, James Hunt and Michael Collins.
Father Moore ministered to the wants of the Angelica people till 1855, when
Rev. Terence Keenan was appointed rector. He remained till the latter part
of 1860, when Rev. Edward McGlew assumed the pastorate. He was suc-
ceeded by Rev. A. J. McConnel till 1869, when Rev. J. H. Leddy took charge.
The Wellsville parish had now been formed, and the residence of the
pastor of the missions of Southern Allegany was now transferred to Bel-
mont, and since then the pastor in charge of these missions has always lived
in Belmont, attending Andover, Scio, Friendship, Belfast and Angelica at
first, and, finally, as some of these places became separate parishes, limiting
his charge to Scio, Belmont and Angelica. Father Leddy continued In the
pastorate till 1873, and after him the pastors in charge of Angelica were:
* By Rev. J. J. Dealy.
Rev. James Lannigan for about six months; Revs. E. McDermott, 1873-75;
G. Dunbar, 1875-81; A. R. Barlow, 1881-82; J. Lasher, 1882-83; P. Berkery.
1883-90; J. J. Lafferty, for about six months; D. M. Reilly, 1890-92; F. J.
Burns, 1892-95; and Jan. 20, 1895, J. J. Dealy, became pastor.
The present membership of the Angelica church is about twenty fami-
lies, or about two hundred souls. The church was the second Catholic edi-
fice, and is now the oldest one, in the county. Besides helping to support
its pastor it gives yearly $50 for the benefit of the charitable institutions of
the diocese of Buffalo and $50 to educate young men for the ministry.
Angelica Academy.--May 12, 1836, an act was passed "to incorpo-
rate Angelica Academy," and "George Miles, Richard Charles, Andrew
C. Hull, Ransom Lloyd, Ithamar Smith, William T. Howell, Samuel
Budd, Samuel C. Wilson, George Stevens, John B. Collins, Calvin T.
Chamberlain, Asa S. Allen, John B. Church, Patrick Byrns, John Simons,
Alexander S. Diven, James McHenry and their successors shall be
body corporate by the name of Angelica Academy, to be located in the vil-
lage of Angelica, in the county of Allegany, for the purpose of establishing,
maintaining and conducting a seminary of learning for the education of
youth of both sexes; and the persons above named shall be trustees of said
corporation." This was the first of the kind pertaining to the county. No
immediate results followed. Twenty years later, however, an academy was
founded, which for a dozen years or more was the pride of the town. Its
first principal was Rev. Samuel Center. D. P. Richardson was first assist-
ant and B. B. Underwood the second. D.P. Richardson tben became prin-
cipal and was followed by B. C. Underwood,-- Haver, -- Grunder,
John C. Harkness and Chas. S. Richardson. The building was burned in
November, 1867, and was not rebuilt. It stood on the south side of Main
street a few rods east of the Presbyterian church. Twelve years followed
during which Angelica had no school of academic pretensions, then, through
the generosity of Col. William Wilson, Wilson Academy came into being.
Wilson Academy.--Col. William Wilson, a proriminent citizen, who died
early in 1879, "Desiring," as stated in his will, "to give expression to the
cherished memories of a lifetime," bequeathed a portion of his estate, about
$20,000 in amount," to establish in the village of Angelica an academical in-
stitution of learning to be and remain in all respects unsectarian." At the
charter election, April 1, 1879, the electors of the village accepted this be-
quest, and voted that the institution should be named the Wilson Academy,
that the honored name of the donor might never be severed from the gift.
In 1883 a board of 13 trustees was selected, with these officers: James T.
Brown president, Charles P. Arnold secretary, I. L. Fisk treasurer, and
the Academy was incorporated under a provisional charter from the Regents
of the University of the State of New York. In the fall of 1885 the trustees
engaged John P. Slocum, a graduate of Yale College, as principal. and the
first term of the academy began Sept. 21st of that year. No building had
418 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N Y.
been provided, and for the first year, its sessions were held in the court
house. The circular announcing the opening of the school stated that it
was "the design of the founder, and the purpose of the trustees, to estab-
lish a school which will give a superior preparation for any college, and also
offer a thorough course in common and higher English branches, and in
In the summer of 1886, part of the estate of Rev. Lewis Thibou, consist-
ing of 13 acres of land and a large brick dwelling house, was purchased of
Mrs. M. Scholfield by the trustees. The house was altered to fit it for school
purposes, and has since been the Academy building. The same year the re-
quirements of the Regents for books and apparatus having been met by pur-
chase and by gift, a full charter was granted to the Academy. James T.
Brown served as president until 1890, when he resigned and was succeeded
by Charles d'Autremont. Mr. d'Autremout died in 1891, and Hon. David
P. Richardson was chosen as his successor and is now the president.
During the ten years of its existence the Academy has maintained a
steady and healthful growth. The number of its students has increased
from 19 to nearly 100, and many of its graduates have entered college. An
important feature of the school has been its Teachers' Training Class, in
which a large number of teachers have been prepared for their work. The
Academy is well equipped with philosophical and chemical apparatus, to
which a fine telescope, made for the institution by John A. Brashear of
Allegheny, Pa., has been recently added, a gift of the citizens of Angelica.
The library now contains over 1,800 volumes, and has lately been recently
opened to the public. This school offers exceptional opportunities for