TOWN OF BERGEN.
Bergen is the most northeasterly town in Genesee county. It is bounded on the
north by Clarendon. Orleans county, and Sweden, Monroe county; on the east by Riga, Monroe county; on the south
by Le Roy, and on the west by Byron. The town contains an area of 17,289 acres. It is a portion of the triangular
tract sold to Le Roy and others from the Morris Reserve; and it also contains two tiers of lots from the Connecticut
tract. The latter are in the western part of the town.
The surface of the town is gently undulating, with a slight inclination toward the north, but in most portions
is very nearly level. The soil is a fertile and productive clayey loam. Black creek flows in an easterly direction
through the town, north of the centre. The main line of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad passes through
in a northeasterly and southwesterly direction, south of the centre.
Bergen was first settled in 1801 by Samuel Lincoln. In the same year George Letson, William Letson, Benajah Worden,
Richard Abbey, Solomon Levi, Jesse Leach, James Letson, Gideon Elliott and David Scott settled in town. The first
church organization was established in December, 1807. The Congregational church was founded January 25, 1808.
Harry Kelsey, a graduate of Yale college, taught the first school. The first frame house in the town was erected
by Dr. Levi Ward, the pioneer physician. Jared Merritt built the first saw mill. Dr. Ward was also proprietor of
the first store, in 1808. The first inn was opened in 1809 by Samuel Butler. Colonel W. H. Ward was the first postmaster.
The town of Bergen was erected from Batavia, June 8, 1812.. The town of Byron was set off in 1820. Prior to the
erection of Bergen the town formed a part of the great original town of Northampton. In the existing records in
the office of the town clerk the name of Justin Worthington appears as town clerk for Northampton in 1808 and 1809.
Unfortunately the records do not give an account of the first town meet. ing. The list of supervisors begins with
the year 1831 and is as follows:
18311833, Rufus Hubbard; 18341835, Samuel Richmond; 1836, Franklin D. Kingman; 1837, Joseph Chipman, Jr.; 18381840,
Samuel Richmond; 1841, Franklin D. Kingman; 1842-1844, Joseph Chipman; 1845, Franklin D. Kingman; 1846, Martin
C. Ward; 1847, Luther Crosby; 1848, Martin C. Ward; 1849, Joseph Chipman; 1850 1851, Abner Hull, Jr.; 1852, Luther
Crosby; 1853. Franklin D. Kingman; 1854, Daniel F. Merritt; 1855, Elisha H. Parish; 1856, Samuel Richmond; 1857,
Elisha H. Parish; 1858, Ebenezer Scofield; 18591861, Josiah Pierson; 1862, David Hooper; 18631867, Edward H.
Parmelee; 18681869, Andrew J. Gleason; 18701872, Elisha H. Parish; 18731874, Chas. N. Reed; 1875, John H. Ward;
1876, James D. Doolittle; 1877, Henry S. Andrews; 18781879, Henry S. Andrews; 1880, Alonzo L. Greene; 18811882,
Myron H. Parmelee; 1883. Morris W. Townsend; 1884. Philip Snyder; 1885, Morris W. Townsend; 1886, Myron H. Parmelee;
1887, Philip Snyder; 18881889, Samuel E. Bower; 1890, Morris W. Townsend; 1891, Benjamin N. Walker; 1892, Morris
W. Townsend; 1893. Benjamin N. Walker; 18941898, Eugene D. Hull.
The names of the town clerks appearing upon the records are as follows:
18151816, Josiah Pierson; 18171821, Samuel Taggart; 18231824, James Munger; 1825, David Evarts; 18261828, D.
G. Evarts; 1829, John Cushing; 18301832, Theodore Cushing; 18331834, Samuel Richmond; 1835-1836, James Gibson;
1837, Nathan B. Griffin; 18381839. James Gibson; 1839, Franklin D. Kingman; 18401843, Moses S. Gibson; 18441846,
Francis T. Moseley; 1847, J. B. Hatch; 1848, Lansing W. Hoyt; 1849, John M. Gillette; 18501852, James D. Doolittle;
1854, Ezra T. Merrill; 1855, Henry M. Ward; 1856, Andrew Southworth; 1857-1858, Francis T. Moseley; 18591860,
Chapin Hall; 1861, John H. Parish; 1862, J. H Moore; 18631865, Chauncey D. Graves; 1866, Samuel K. Green; 18671868,
Elias P. Green; 18691870, Thomas J. Tone; 1871, C. T. Moseley; 18721874, T. J. Tone; 1875, Peter S. Harkness;
18761878, Delos Murdock; 18791880, J. W. Stratton; 1881, D. H. Murdock; 1882, George C. Wolcott; 18831884, E
L. Fisher; 18851887, Daniel J. McPherson; 18881893, E. L. Fisher; 1894-1898, Will E. Gillette.
The following are recorded as having been elected to the office of justice of the peace in Bergen in the years
1832, Hart Spafford; 1834, Jonah Guthrie, Abner Hull; 1835, Oren Bliss; 1836, Hart Spafford; 1837, Luther Crosby;
1838. Abner Hull; 1839, Shubael Reed; 1840. Samuel Richmond; 1841. Ebenezer Schofield; 1843. William L. Lewis;
1844, Abner Hull; 1845, Samuel Richmond (l. t.), Stephen Putnam (s t); 1846. Luther Crosby; 1847, Stephen Putnam
(l. t.), Erasmus C. Dibble (s. t.); 1848, Abner Hull; 1849, Alonzo E. Richmond (l. t.), Johnson N. Tower (s. t.);
1851, D. T. Merrill (l. t.), W. P. Munger, Samuel Richmond (S. t.); 1852, Abner Hull; 1854, Luther Crosby; 1855,
Daniel T. Merrill; 1856. Edward Parmalee; 1857, Stephen F. Curtiss; 1858, Luther Crosby; 1859, D. T. Merrill; 1860,
E. H. Parmalee; 1861, Stephen F. Curtiss; 1862, Samuel Church; 1863, David R. Fuller; 1864, Horace M. Ward; 1865,
Sebastian R. Moore (1. t.) Henry B. Bowman (s. t.); 1866, William P. Munger(l. t.), David Fancher (S. t.); 1867,
Horace M. Ward (1. t.), Lawrence L. Crosby (s. t.); 1868. H. M. Ward (l. t.), L. L. Crosby (s. t.); 1869, Porter
Davis (l. t.), William Phillips (s. t.); 1870, D. F. Merrill, D. C. Rumsey, 1. t., N. J. Munger, s. t; 1871, Harlan
Fordham, Thomas J. Dean; 1872, T. J. Dean. J. R. McKenzie, Myron Lewellyn; 1873, George H. Church, full term, Jerome
T. Feezlear, l. t., A. A. Arnold, s. t.; 1874, Francis E. Terry; 1875, Silas C. Pratt; 1876, J. M. Templeton, Jerome
T. Feezlear; 1877, A. T. Southworth, l. t., M. M. Conklin, s. t.; 1878, B F. Henderson; 1879, Silas C. Pratt. 1.
t., Frank S. Weeks, S. t.; 1880, H. W. Arnold, Alexander Campbell; 1881, J. M. Templeton; 1882, S. E. Parker, 1.
t., J. W. Stratton, s. t.; 1883, John D. Gifford; 1884, Cyrus Beswick; 1885. Jay W. Stratton; 1886, S. E. Parker;
1887, H. F. Fordham, Thomas J. Deane; 1888, E. H. Parmalee; 1889, Jay W. Stratton; 1890, George W. Emerson; 1891,
T. J. Dean: 1892, Thomas J. Bissell, 1. t., James A. Growney, S. t.; 1893, James A. Growney; 1894, B. H. Parmalee;
1895, Daniel J. McPherson, Frederick H. Sizer; 1896, James A. Bissell; 1897, Frank S. Weeks; 1898, Daniel J. McPherson.
The principal village in the town is Bergen, located near the centre of the eastern boundary line, on the New York
Central and Hudson River Railroad. It has a population of about one thousand. It contains four churches, two hotels,
a bank, a union free school, a cigar
factory employing over thirty hands, a machine shop, an elevator for grain, two feed mills, a saw mill, and a number
of smaller manufactories. It also has an excellent fire department. One weekly newspaper is published. The village
North Bergen is a post-office in the northwest part of the town. It contains a church, a store, one or two small
manufactories and about one hundred and fifty inhabitants.
West Bergen is a hamlet, with post-office, in the western part, on the line of the railroad. It has a store, a
hotel and some minor manufactures.
Stone Church, in the southeastern part of the town, contains one church and store. It is a small hamlet.