BY W. H. BARNUM, ESQ.
BURNS WAS formed from Ossian March 17, 1826. Ossian was formed from Angelica March
11, 1808, and was in Allegany county until annexed to Livingston in 1856. Burns was named in honor of the Scottish
lyric poet Robert Burns. It is a part of the Morris Reserve. It is the northeast town of the county, and contains
15,482 acres. The surface is hilly and broken and well suited for dairying. Oanaseraga Creek, flowing north and
northeast through the central part of the town, and its branches, South Valley and Slader creeks, flow through
beautiful little valleys from 400 to 700 feet below the tops of the hills. The population has been 1860, 1,064;
1870, 1,340; 1880, 1,671; 1890, 1,506; 1892, 1,513.
The first settlement was made on Canaseraga Creek in 1805 by Moses and Jeremiah Gregory, Samuel Rodman and John
Gaddis. The same year William Hopkins came from Pennsylvania and settled in South Valley, a mile south of where
the village of Canaseraga is now located. His son, John Hopkins, who died in 1873, came at the same time. Samuel
Boylan. a native of New Jersey, came in 1806, accompanied by his son, James H. Boylan, then nine years old. They
arrived early in the spring, bringing with them, on their backs, as much substantial food, as, with the aid of
such game as they could kill, they thought would last them while they were chopping the trees on a few acres of
land. Mr. Boylan took up 160 acres of lot No. 99, where a part of the village of Canaseraga now is. Thomas Quick,
Elias Van Scoter, Elias and Daniel Abbott and Wm. Carroll came in 1806. They were all from Pennsylvania. Quick
and Van Scoter settled in the eastern part of the town. The Abbotts settled at DeWitt's Valley (now Burns village)
and Carroll on lot No. 40, a little south of the :center of the town. He was, a man well versed in the experiences
of a hard life, having been a soldier in the war for independence, and subsequently for some time a sailor. He
had a wife, five sons and three daughters. He lived on the place where he located until his death. John, his son,
died at the age of seventy-eight, on the same farm. He was about eight years old when his father settled here.
Among others who came at an early date were Nathaniel Summers, who settled in the northeast part of the town, James
Crooks in the northern part, west of Canaseraga, and a man named Fry near Burns village. John Ryan. a native of
Herkimer county, was one of the first settlers. He came when the town was a wilderness and bought and cleared a
farm. After a few years moved to Livingston county. He died in 1852. The Sladers, Wilsons and McCurdys were of
the early settlers, and among those who came a little later were the Carpenters and Whitneys. The latter located
on Canaseraga Creek. In 1809 Henry Leonard came from Towanda, Pa., with his wife, three boys and two girls, and
settled at Canaseraga. His son Joseph lived on the farm his father took up till his death in 1876, at the age of
74. Joseph held the office of justice of the, peace continuously for nearly 45 years His widow still resides in
the town. His son, Elijah B. Leonard, also held the office of magistrate for a number of years. He was instantly
killed at the raising of a mill in 1888. William Miller settled in the town in 1818, coming from Avon, N. Y. He
was born in Massachusetts in 1783. His death occurred in 1863. Joseph Miller came with his father in 1818, when
but four years old. He is still a resident here. Samuel Carter built a stone house in the central part of the town
in 1832. It is mentioned by old residents that on the winter previous, Mr. Carter's sons drew together the stone
for the house, working steadily and wading through the snow barefooted.
CANASERAGA has held the distinction of being the principal village in the town since about 1840. Previous to that
time Burns village carried on a larger mercantile business, and was the polling place for the township. Canaseraga
is an Indian word meaning "among the elms." Canaseraga Creek winds along the valley in which the village
is mainly built and pursues its course through Livingston county and empties into the Genesee river. Two flourishing
gristmllls are located at the falls, on the stream a mile below the village. The present population is about 1,000.
FIRES IN CANASERAGA.- In the winter
of 1872, a row of wooden stores and other buildings on Church street, and extending around to corner of Main street,
as far as and including the "old Roup house," burned, and the next season a block of eight brick stores
was erected in its place. In March, 1878, another fire swept the opposite side of Church street, and around the
corner of Main. The same ground' was soon covered by buildings better than those destroyed. A few years later the
Newton and Bowen stores were again burned. In 1892 the Hotel Lackawanna, near the railroad stations, was reduced
to ashes. March 28, 1895, witnessed Canaseraga's great fire, in which 25 stores, 2 hotels, Union Hall, bank, newspaper
office, T. G. Wooster Manufacturing Co.'s Furniture establishment, 34 homes, etc., were completely destroyed with
nearly all of their contents. The alarm was given at about 1 o'clock A. M., and in two hours, the flames driven
by a gale of wind, had swept completely the business portion of the place and left nearly one-third of the population
homeless on the street. Before daylight telegraphic orders were sent out for necessary articles, food, etc., temporary
business places were improvised, and the homeless ones were distributed among their more fortunate neighbors. A
few days later business, to a considerable extent, had been resumed in buildings of a temporary nature erected
for the occasion. During the summer of the same year half a dozen large brick blocks and many fine residences were
added to the list of substantial structures in the village.
Canaseraga was incorporated as a village in 1892. The 1895 officers are: James Craig, president; F. O. Jones, clerk;
Wm. Scott, Asa Helm and S. P. Wilcox, trustees.
LOCAL PRESS.- The first paper
in Canaseraga was started in 1869, by W. H. Harris, called the Monthly Adveriiser. Afterwards it was changed to
a bi.monthly and then to a weekly, which was run until 1872, when H. C. Scott established the Times. He run the
same until 1877, when he was succeeded by W. H. Barnum. April 1, 1885, F. S. Mifier purchased the plant, and has
since conducted the paper.
Canaseraga Creamery Co. was organized in 1894, with a capital stock of $3,750. S. M. Bennett, president; C. N.
Manley, treasurer; F. H. Bluestone, secretary. It uses milk of about 250 cows.
Canaseraga Water Works Go., organized July, 1895. J. A. Bailey, president; A. T. Peabody, secretary; S. J. Craig,
treasurer. Issued bonds for $14,000. owned by the vifiage of Canaseraga.
James Campbell's steam sawmill was built in 1851. Mr. Campbell purchased it in 1865. It cuts from 300,000 to 400,000
feet of lumber per year.
Canaseraga Lodge, No. 781, F. & A. M.- Charter was granted in 1878. John Whiting was first master. The first
master elected was E. P. Green, who filled the office 10 years. The present (1895) master is Robert Bennett; Lloyd
Miller, senior warden; Geo. Miner, junior 'warden. The charter and lodge rooms were burned March 28, 1895.
CHURCHES.- Trinity Episcopal Church
was organized July 22, 1857. The meeting for organization was attended by Stephen Mundy, John N. Leman, Michael
G. Mundy, L. L. Carter, Vespasian Whipple, Daniel Weller, Edward Mundy, Stephen Mundy, Jr., Geo. Yocum, Win. B.
Battin and Rev. Lloyd. Windsor. The corner-stone of the church building was placed Sept. 26, 1864, and the edifice,
built at a cost of $8,000, was dedicated Dec. 14, 1865. A rectory was built later at a cost of $1,500. The church
has now 140 members, presided over by Rev. Francis Giffiat. The parish has previously been served by these rectors:
Revs. Lloyd Windsor, Fayette Royce. J. H. H. DeMile, Geo. F. Plummer, Charles D. Allen, James Davies, E. E. Chamberlain,
S. H. Battin, John W. H. Weibel, J. D. Ferguson, George S. Teller (died while rector), C. J. Clauson.
The First Presbyterian Church of Ganaseraga was organized Oct. 26, 1872. Rev. James H. Board, its first pastor,
came here from Howard, N. Y. The number of communicants at first was only 13, and nearly all of these had been
members of the old Burns church. James Craig, Headley Thompson and I. K. Barnum were chosen the first trustees.
The church has made a steady growth and now has 100 members. Rev. E. R. Evans, Ph. B., is the pastor.
First Methodist Episcopal Church. It is claimed by members of this denomination that the Methodist was the first
church organization in the town and that as such, it received a gift of 40 acres of land from the Pulteney Estate.
Certain it is that such a conveyance was made to the society at an early date, and a lease of the premises was
subsequently effected by the church trustees covering a term of 99 years. At the time the lease was made the land
was considered of small value, so that only a few dollars of annual rental was required. The lease will soon expire
and the trustees. of liter years look forward to the time when the 99 years will have expired and the church again
be in undisputed possession of the premises. Records have not been found of the church during intervening years
up to 1832, when a lot was purchased of Lewis Rappalee on which to erect a house of 'worship. The truskees making
the purchase were Jesse Pryor, John Hopkins, Joseph Whipple, Firman Boylan and Stephen Mundy, and the consideration
was one dollar. The deed was acknowledged before William Carroll, commissioner of deeds, and recorded May 22. 1833,
by J. M. Sherman, County Clerk. The church is now under the supervision of Rev. W. B. King, pastor.
First Baptist Church.- The commodious house of worship of the Baptist society
of Canaseraga was erected in 1857, and was repaired in 1878 and again in 1893. As a church organization it had
existence as early as 1818 and some authorities say as early as 1810. The successive pastors have been Revs. John
W. Lawton, Muriel V. Bemus, Elijah Bennett, Amos Chase, Jonathan Post, William Dye, J. W. Emery, Roswell C. Palmer,
H. W. Brown, L. L.. Porter, B. F. Mace, L. I. Lackey, C. Townsend, G. Crocker, James R. Smith, J. Rooney, Mr. DeWitt,
B. W. Davis, W. Moxie, J. M. Shotwell, F. W. Reynolds.
St. Mary's Roman Cathholic Church was organized over 40 years ago and has been served by these pastors: Rev. Father
Creeden, Father McNab, Father Peter Donahue, Father J. McGrath, Father Morris Lee and Father J. Nash, D. D. the
present incumbent. The church edifice was erected about 20 years ago. The lot on which it stands and also a plot
for the cemetery was a free gift from Hon. William M. White.
The First Presbyterian Church of Burns was organized June 22, 1833, at a public meeting held at the schoolhouse
in South Valley, at which Samuel Carter, William R. Bunnell, Gideon Osborn, Samuel McCray, Alexander McNett, Ebenezer
Payne, were elected trustees. A copy of the proceedings certified to by Andrew C. Hull, first judge of the county,
was recorded in Book A, page 470, of Miscellaneous Records, by Thompson Bell, Clerk. Rev. Robert Hubbard, of Dansville,
preached the first sermon from Acts 11: 22-26, July 19, 1833. During the next few years a creditable church building
was erected which was used for worship for 40 years. Its first regular pastor was Rev. Benjamin Russell who received
here a yearly salary of $175 and a like amount from the church at Hornellsville, and officiated on alternate Sundays
at the two churches. He was succeeded in 1839 by Rev. S. W. May. Among its early members were: William McCray,
Sufiria McCray, Harriet Bacon, Samuel and Jane McCray, William R. Bunnell, Sarah H. Bunnell, Gideon Osborn, Harriet
Osborn, Mrs. Sarah Carter, Samuel Carter, Ebenezer Payne, Delight Payne, Louisa B. Tilden, Newton S. Carter, Roswell
W. Carter, Thompson Bell, Susan Bell, John Coray, Cynthia Coray, Luin P. Kennedy, Mary Ann Kennedy, Gregory Fairbanks,
William Webb, Sr., Sally Cooper, Catharine Abbott, Jemima Casterline, Amanda Casterline, Harriet N. Casterline,
Julia Ann Casterline. Chauncey Casterline, Charles G. Casterline, Walter Cooper, John Van Antwerp, James Van Antwerp,
Dexter C. Payne Edwin E. Payne, Lucy Ann Carter, Sarah Jane Wood, Roxey Wentworth, Adaline Kennedy, Emerany Howes,
Isaiah Bacon, Jr., Augustine E. Tilden, Mills E. Carter, Mehitable Carter, Eliza Coray, Mary M. Coray, David J.
EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES.- Scattered
over the town at an early date were the primitive log schoolhouses, where, in summer, only the very young pupils
were in attendance, but where in winter the boys and girls of larger growth also gathered. Spelling schools and
writing schools were numerous and singing schools were occasionally held in winter. With the increase of population
came the frame schoolhouses and in large rnumber. The salary paid to teachers also increased proportionately. During
the first few decades of the century it was not uncommon for a lady teacher to accept 75 cents per week, with board
at the different houses in the district, as the salary for a summer's work. About 1865 the old schoolhouse in Canaseraga
was sold to the highest bidder, S. N. Bennett, and a pretentious brick school building was erected at a cost of
$7,000. The site for the new building accompanied by $1,000, was a gift to the district from Hon. William M. White.
In 1878 the school became a Union School and was soon afterward placed under the visitation of the Regents. A steam-heating
system, an extensive library, and ample philosophical apparatus are also acquisitions. The 1895 Board of Education
consists of James Craig, W. H. Barnum, James Campbell, William C. Windsor and W. I. Miller.
BURNS VILLAGE.- Although now containing
only a few houses this was formerly the business center of the town. Its principal hotel was built by S. DeWitt
Brown in 1826, in honor of whom the settlement was named DeWittsville. The name was changed to correspond with
the name of the town about 1848. Colonel Ira Davenport, well known in Western New York business enterprises half
a century ago, had a branch store here. An important structure in the place was the Presbyterian church. In constructing
the Erie railway through the town this village was left from its line at a distance of nearly a mile. As in many
another similar instance, the village diminished in size while the station grew in importance as a shipping point
and at one time more cars of wool, grain and potatoes were shipped from here than from almost any station along
the Buffalo division of the Erie.
BURNS STATION.- Has at present
two stores, a hotel and perhaps 20 dwellings. Philander S. Jones the postmaster, has held that office continuously
for 40 years. The Burns Station Methodist Episcopal church located here, was organized in 1859. The church edifice
was erected 1871. It has a seating capacity for about 200 persons.
GARWOODS, a station on the Erie
railroad and on the C. N. Y. & W. railway, is a hamlet of a dozen dwellings, postoffice (Whitney's Crossing),
two stores and' a planing mill. It is situated in the northeastern part of the town. For many years it has been
an important shipping point of stove wood, many car loads of this commodity being loaded here each month.
The Gas Springs M. E. Church, situated in the southwest part of the town, was organized in 1846. The church edifice
was erected in 1861. A Sabbath school in connection with the church unmbers about 80 attendants.
Veterans of the War.-The town
of Burns contributed its quota of men in the Union Army during the War of the Rebellion. The following were members
of 130th N. Y. V. or 1st N. Y. Dragoons: Joseph N. Flint, now of California, Edward T. Gilbert, John K. Barager
died at Old Church, Va., Rufus Adams, Willis H. Barnum now resides in. the town, James C. Cook, died at Suffolk,
Va., David Davison, died 1893, Josiah H. Flint, died at Andersonville, Norman S. Fay, now (1895) supervisor of
Burns, Nathaniel Marr, died of injuries, 1865, Orville S. Tilden, stifi resides in the town, Hiram J. Woodard,
died at Andersonville, Ga., Lorenzo Robbins, Hulcy Phelps and Wilson Jones, all reside in the town, James Prendergast
resides in Canaseraga. The members of the 136th N. Y. at present residents of the town are: W. H. Harris, Geo.
R. Dolloph, A. H. Boylan, C. C. Chappell, Hiram Allen, Joseph Rolls, Daniel Blank, N. V. Mundy, Isaac Witherell.
Abel Gates and Asa Helm served in. the 188th N. Y., Byron Bennett in the 187th N. Y., Wm. M. Sparks served with
Battery L, 1st Light Art., Wm. Mabie served in the 24th N. Y. Other veterans belonging to various commands were
Wm. B.. Battin, A. S. Humphrey, C. Mehlenbacher, John B. Beecher, A. M. Hess, D. C. Wolverton, James F. Shattuck,
"The big elm" is the name given to a noble tree standing at the side of Main street bridge in the village
of Canaseraga. Although its trunk is 17 feet in circumference it is as shapely and as beautiful as it is majestic
in its proportions. Besides being the pride of the town this ancient land mark counts its admirers by the thousand
among those who have visited the locality.
In the early part of this century, a mile or two east of Canaseraga a well was dug for water which was remarkable
for its great depth. It was stoned up in the usual way and some years afterward it became somewhat famous from
the fact that a man tumbled into it and fell to the bottom. How he escaped instant death was One of the marvels
of the time, but he was taken out alive although terribly injured. The well had become unused and to prevent the
recurrence of a similar accident a huge boulder weighing several tons was placed at the top over the opening. On
one side of the boulder there remains to this day a hole where one can cast down a stone of considerable size.
Visitors' to the well enjoy throwing in stones that they may hear them click against the wall in their rapid descent,
the sounds becoming more and more indistinct and finally inaudible. The depth is so great that the most practiced
ear does not detect when the stone has reached the bottom.
SUPERVISORS.- 1826, Philip P.
Rich; 1827-8, Oliver Carpenter; 1829-34, '88, William Welsh; 1835, Warner Hastings; 1836-7, '47-49, '51, Stephen
Mundy; 1839, '40, Andrew Whitney; 1841, William Goodell; 1842 (record missing); 1843-4, '50, '55, '56, Alvah Cruttenden;
1845-6, Charles D. Robinson; 1852-54, James K. Brace; 1857-8, William B. Brown; 1859-60, W. W. Wood; 1861-2, '76-7,
Fay Miller; 1862-3, M. D. Dimmick; 1865-6, Daniel H. Hadliday; 1867, Alvin Whitney; 1868-9, Edward Mundy; 1870,
David H. Higgins; 1871-2, John L. Walker; 1873, "78, Stephen H. Bennett; 1874, Horace A. Avery; 1875. Solomon
Denton; 1879, Henry Colegrove; 1880, S. N. Bennett; 1881-2, Fay Mifier; 1883, T. B. R. Fitch; 1884-5, Wm. C. Windsor;
1886, '87, James Craig; 1888, '89. '90, D. Heady Clark; 1891, '92, '93, A. T. Bacon; 1894, '95, N. S. Fay.
TOWN OFFICERS 1895.- Supervisor,
N. S. Fay; clerk, Adolph Bluestone; justices of the peace, S. B. Coray, C. A. Chappell, Byron Boylan, W. H. Barnum;
assessors, George W. Fay, G. C. Wentworth, Asa Helm; collector, Henry Mifier; highway commisioner, A. C. Burnside;
overseer of the poor, S. P. Wilcox; constables, Ira Green, John Garwood, Hulcy Phelps, Eugene Meeks, M. G. Mundy;
excise commissioners, W. M. Sparks, J. Schneck, H. F. Robbins.
PERSONALS.- Theodore S. Bacon
was born Nov. 22, 1815, at Manchester, Vt., when he was 4 years old, his parents moved to Candor, Tioga Co. He
married Lucinda Dunning June 13, 1835. They had 9 children. Mr. Bacon conducted a sawmill in Candor for 16 months
then purchased a farm on North Almond Hill which he cleared and resided there for 9 years when he bought a farm
in Bums, and resided in this town until, his death July 19, 1885. His widow still resides in Canaseraga. Mr. Bacon
was an active member of the Baptist church. Charles K. Bacon, son of Theodore Bacon, was born in Burns, June 23,
1856. He was educated at the common school and taught 6 terms. He opened a general store at Canaseraga in 1880,
in 1885 he went to Grove where he established a store at Swains. In 1886, he was elected justice of the peace and
has been continued in that position. He has also held the office of supervisor 4 terms. Mr. Bacon married Libbie,
daughter of Stephen Coleman of Almond and had 2 children, Walter S. and Neva, who died May 4, 1893.
Willis H. Barnum was born in Connecticut, April 1, 1843. He came here when 4 years of age. Be had the educational
advantages of Genesee and Wyoming and Dansville seminaries. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. I, 130th Regt. N. Y. V.,
and served until 1864 when he was discharged. on account of sickness. He is a member of the Seth H. Weed Post.
In 1877, he commenced the publication of the Canaseraga Times and continued it for 8 years. He has been secretary
of the school board and in 1893 was elected justice of the peace. In 1876, he married Alice V. Dyer, widow of James
Dyer, and has 2 children, Carrie L. and D. Burr. Mr. Barnum is now a dealer in building material and a buyer and
shipper of farm produce.
Frank H. Bluestone, son of John and Mary Bluestone, was born in Birdsall, Sept. 23, 1866, and soon after removed
to Canaseraga. He received his education at the public schools.
Jonathan Bowen, son of David Bowen, was born Jan. 8, 1822, in Wayland, N. Y. His father died when he was but 8
years old and his education was necessarily limited. When 9 years of age he drove 2 yoke of oxen to plow a rough
stumpy field and when 14 he "raked and bound" and kept up with a good cradler. He cut cord wood for 25
cts. per cord, averaging 2½ cords a day and his earnings had to go towards the support of the family. July
3, 1843, he married Maryetta Gates, and in 1845 he purchased a farm in West Almond of 97 acres. paying $100 down.
He cut the first tree on his farm, built a log house and after a residence there of 24 years he removed to Canaseraga
where he has since resided, and built 3 brick stores this year. Mrs. Bowen died Feb. 12, 1882, and Mr. Bowen married
for his second wife, Mrs. Eliza M. Schults. He is a member of the M. E. church.
Samuel Boylan was one of the first settlers of Canaseraga. His children were: Harris, John, Isaac, Furman, Samuel,
Christopher, Maryette and Fanny. Isaac Boylan, son of Samuel, was born at Canaseraga. He married Ann Howard and
had a family of 4 sons and 2 daughters. John, Laura Jane and Edgar are now living. Edgar was born Nov. 17, 1828.
He married first, Hattie Boylan of Wisconsin. They had 3 children. His second wife was Miranda Leonard, who had
4 children. Mr. Boylan has held the office of highway commissioner and superintendent of the poor. Christopher
Boylan, born in Burns, married Polly Bennett and had 7 children. He was a farmer and died in 1877 and his wife
in 1874. Amariah H. Boylan, youngest son of Christopher Boylan, was born March 18, 1848, in Burns. He enlisted
in Co. B, 136th N. Y. V., served until the close of the war and held the position of corporal, and was several
years president of the 136th N. Y. Vols. Association. He was commander of Seth H. Weed Post for a year. After the
war he went to Chicago and for 10 years was in the employ of the Illinois Central railroad, the subsequent 10 years
he was in Peoria and during his residence there was a member of the Peoria board of trade, and was an extensive
grain dealer. He married Florence Cummings of Peoria and has one son LeRoy Boylan. He returned from the west in
1884 and now lives upon the old homestead.
William B. Brown, son of James Brown, was born in Hyde Park, Vt., Jan. 22, 1821. In 1834 his father came to Burns
and settled on a farm, his wife died in 1837 and James Brown went to Illinois where he died in 1872. In 1845 William
B. Brown married Mary J. Miller; they had 4 children. She died in 1865. His second wife was Carrie A. Jones. In
1856 he was elected justice of the peace and has held the office 38 years. He has been supervisor, town clerk,
and for several years postmaster at Bums. He was deputy sheriff 3 years in Livingston county, and several years
in Allegany. He was in merchandising many years, dealt in real estate and has been a large dealer in horses, and
sent the first carload of horses for the army to Washington. He was marshal for this congressional district during
the war. His surviving children are Frank E., born in Dansville in 1847, and Anna (Mrs. Ward Oatley of Andover).
Florence A. (dec.) and Jennie E., who married C. S. Richmond, died in Providence, R. I., left one child, Jennie,
who resides with her grandfather.
Chauncey F. Clark was born at Rome, N. Y., Feb. 14, 1805. When he was a young man he came to Dansville and was
a druggist's clerk for his uncle Dr. Clark for some time. Then marrying Harriet, daughter of Stephen Mundy, became
a pioneer merchant at Boylan's Corners. He was justice of the peace many years, was postmaster and held other offices
of trust, and in his latter days was a farmer. He died June 26, 1884. Mrs. Clark survives him and is 83 years old.
Three of their five children are living, Charles E., a farmer in Michigan, Anna (Mrs. T. P. Perrin) of Illinois
and Cornelia (Mrs. 0. P. Taylor) of Wellsvile.
John Coray, a native of Providence, Pa., was born June 5, 1796. He married Cynthia Webb, March 12, 1823, and had
4 daughters and 3 sons. He was a contractor of public works. He settled in South Danswille, N. V., and died Sept.
7, 1870, his wife died June 2, 1877. The only son living is Stephen D. Coray, who was born June 8, 1829, in South
Dansville. In 1835 his father moved to Burns. and here Stephen married Emeline Crane. They had 4 children. Mr.
Coray has been elected justice of the peace 3 times, has held the offices of assessorand highway commissioner several
terms, and was in mercantile business at Canaseraga for 8 years, and is a manufacturer of lumber, etc.
James Craig, son of James T. and Elisabeth (Carney) Craig, was born March 10, 1840, at Sparta, Livingston Co.,
N. Y. He moved to Nunda in 1853, and was educated at the common schools. In 1859 he entered the store of W. Whitcomb
in the village of Nunda as clerk, acting in this capacity for four years, becoming a partner in 1863 and continuing
as such until 1869, when he opened a general store in Canaseraga where he conducts an extensive business. He has
been supervisor of the town, was the first president of the village still holding the office, is president of the
school board, also a trustee of the Business Men's Association. Mr. Craig is quite an extensive farmer, owns several
farms, and is a breeder of Jersey cattle and Hambletonian horses. In 1872 he married Lucy, daughter of Daniel W.
Bennett. Their children are Charlotte C., Harry and Walter. Mr. Craig is a member of Canaseraga Lodge of F. &
A. M., and a leading and popular business man.
John A. Daley was born in West Almond in October, 1858. In 1884 he married Hattie Harris and has one child, Nina.
He was engaged as clerk for 6 years in a hotel at Canaseraga, George Fox proprietor. In 1891 he opened the Central
House which was destroyed by fire March z8, 1895. He then erected Hotel Glenmore at a cost of $10,000, opened it
Sept. 2, 1895, and now has one of the finest hotels in Allegany county. He is a member of the board of water commissioners.
Norman S. Fay, son of Riley Fay, was born in Java, N. Y. His father died when he was years old and he came to Burns
when but 8 years of age and made his home with Roswell Carter until he was 16, when he commenced work for himself
as a farmer. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. I, 130th Regt. N. Y. V., 6 months after he re-enlisted in Battery D, 4th
U. S. L. A., and was honorably discharged Aug. 14, 1865. He is a member of Seth H. Weed Post, 296, and was commander
2 years. Mr. Fay has held the office of highway commissioner 4 years, was elected supervisor in 1894, and is a
member of Canaseraga Lodge, F. & A. M. He married Mary Way in 1862 and had 4 children: Elizabeth, who died
in April, 1894, George, Marion and Myra.
James Garwood, born in Lincoinshire, England, came to America when he was 25 years old and after residing first
at Leroy settled at Canandaigua, where he was a successful farmer and dealer in live stock. He married Elizabeth
Andrews of Canandaigua, and, in 1865, came to Whitney's Crossing, bought 1,600 acres of land, built two sawmills
and a heading mill, and had as a partner Nelson Bailey. They employed over 100 hands, made annually over 1,000,000
feet of lumber, besides staves and heading, and in compliment to Mr. Garwood the Erie railroad station was called
Garwood's. He was an energetic and active business man, an influential Republican and an Episcopalian. He died
April 25, 1875, and his wife survived him until March 17, 1888. They had 5 sons and 2 daughters. William J. Garwood,
son of James, was born in Canandaigua in 1859 and received the educational advantages of Geneseo Normal School.
In 1888 he was elected sheriff and served 3 years with ability. Mr. Garwood has been a leading farmer and horse
breeder. In 1885 he married Ollie A. Hulburt and has children.
Frank S. Miller was born at Mt. Morris, N. Y., April 4, 1858. He was educated at the public schools until he was
14, but his father having died when he was 7 years old, he left school and was employed as a clerk until he was
18, and assisted in the support of the family. He then entered the office of the Mt. Morris Enterprise and learned
the printer's trade. In 1881 he went to Canisteo and was foreman of the Times office until 1885, when he purchased
the Canaseraga Times, which he has since published. In 1888 he married a daughter of Ira K. Barnum.
Lewis C. Stewart, son of John B. and Nancy (Webb) Stewart, was born June 11, 1843, in Dansville, N. Y. In 1869
his father settled on the farm which Lewis now owns. In 1866 he married Ellen J., daughter of Joseph Starr, who
came to Burns in 1828 from Richmond, N. Y. His wife was Lucinda Palmer and they had 4 children. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart
have one child, Helena E. In 1874 Mr. Stewart engaged in bee culture which pursuit he has since followed with marked
success. In 1869 he became a member of the Free Will Baptist church of Burns, but withdrew from that society some
years later and now meets with the Presbyterians for religious worship, and is one of the trustees of that church.
Elizur C. Strickland was born in Lenox, Mass. He was educated at the common schools and when a young man he came
to this town and engaged in surveying, which business he continued until his death in May, 1892. His, wife, whose
maiden name was Mary E. Osborn, and whom he married in 1861, died in March, 1889. Their only son, Jonathan E.,
who was born March 27, 1862, married Adell Whitney and they have one child, Mary. Mr. Strickland is a farmer and
has held the office of highway commissioner.