TOWN OF FLEMING.
FLEMING lies at the foot of Owasco Lake, on the west side, a little south of the center of the County. It is bounded
on the north by Auburn and Aurelius; on the east by Owasco Lake and its outlet; on the south by Scipio; and on
the west by Springport. It was formed from Aurelius, March 28th, 1823, and derives its name from Gen. George Fleming,
one of the early settlers of the town.
The surface is rolling, and has a gentle inclination to the north and east. The shore of the lake, which is a magnificent
body of water, continues its upward slope about three-fourths of a mile, and is less bold upon this than the eastern
side. The highest elevations in the town are 150 to 250 feet above the lake and 800 to 1,000 feet above tide. It
is watered by the head waters of Crane and Wheeler Creeks, the former of which flows north to Seneca River, and
the latter west to Cayuga Lake. There is very little waste land in the town, though about one-tenth of it yet remains
to be brought under cultivation.
Limestone prevails pretty generally over the town, but not in sufficient quantities to give it a commercial value.
The soil, which is fairly productive, is chiefly a gravelly, loam, intermixed with clay and sand, and partakes
of the character of the underlying rocks. The chief branch of agriculture is grain raising, to which the soil is
The Southern Central Railroad crosses the east border of the town, in close proximity to the lake.
The population of the town in 1875 was 1,261; of whom 1,093 were native; 168 foreign; 1,233 white; and 28 colored.
The area of the town is 13,710 acres; of which 12,403 are improved, 1,267 woodland, and 40 unimproved.
The first settlements were made in 1790. Among those who settled in that and the following year were Benjamin Irish,
the Grovers, Edward Wheeler, Ichabod and Abel Wilkinson and James Harrington. Benjamin Irish was a son of Elder
David Irish, who settled first in Scipio and subsequently, in 1800, in Fleming, at which time he became pastor
of the Baptist Church at Fleming, which was organized by him four years prelviously. Benjamin settled about two
miles north of Fleming village, where David Baker now lives. He removed west about 1820, with his family. Eight
sisters married and lived in that locality, and his father, the Elder, died on that farm in 1815. Joseph Grover
settled about two miles north-west of Fleming, where Ephraim Beach now lives. His brother Samuel, and cousins Penuel,
John, Zadoc, William, Solomon and Thomas, all of whom, except William, had families, settled in the same locality,
which was long known as Grover's Hill. The Grovers were from the Eastern States. Joseph Grover opened a store in
1797, which was the first store in the town. Grover's Hill gave early promise of becoming a thriving village, and
had assumed considerable. importance long before much improvement was made on Fleming Hill, its future successful
rival. Two Sons of Penuel Grover, are living, viz: David and Abram, the former in Scipio and the latter on the
old Fleming place. Edward Wheeler settled on the ridge road, on the west line of the town, where his great-grandson,
Geo. Wheeler, now lives, and where he died. His youngest son, Aurelius Wheeler, who was born March 28th, 1792,
and named after the town of Aurelius, was the first white child born in the town of Fleming. He and his brother
Elijah subsequently removed to Aurelius and died there, the former November 5th, 1870.
The following year, 1792, Abel Wilkinson opened the first inn, in this year also occurred the first death, the
wife of George 1vVest, who, in company with a family named Nettleton, came in a short time before from the Eastern
States, and settled just west of Fleming. Nettleton settled on a farm adjoining West's on the west, where Jonathan
Griffiths now lives, and kept a distillery. Both moved west after 1812. In 1794, the first school was taught by
John Herring, who had settled at Auburn, then Hardenbergli's Corners.
Gen. George Fleming, from whom the town derived its name, settled about this time, where Abram Grover now lives.
He was a man of considerable prominence, and is well remembered by the oldest of the early settlers now living
from his participation in the militia trainings of that period. He died in the town about 1823 or '4.
Jacob Byers, a German, from Pennsylvania, came in soon after 1790, possibly in that year, and settled at Wyckoffs
Station, where Peter V. Wyckoff now lives. He removed with his family to Springport about 1803. He came in company
with Isaac Jolly and Asa Jackson, also from Pennsylvania, on foot. Jolly settled on lot 98, and removed to the
west part of the State at an early day. Jackson settled on a hundred acres, between Byers and Jolly, where Thomas
Plunkett now lives. He came with his wife and child, on foot, and carried his ax upon his shoulder. Soon after
the beginning of the present century he traded with Abrani Voorhees for a hundred acres at the foot of Owasco Lake,
where he died in 1816. One daughter, Catharine, now Mrs. Samuel Noyes, is living in Owasco. Henry VanArsdale came
in prior to 1796 and settled on lot 98, where Tallman VanDyne now lives. He removed from the town at an early day.
In 1796, Wm. Post, at the request of his father, who was then in New Jersey, came, in company with Abram Van Ness,
his brother-in-law, with whom he had removed to Ovid, Seneca county, from New Jersey, in 1794, to examine lot 91,
for which his father was then negotiating. Wm. Post, having sent a satisfactory description of the lot to his father,
settled where David B. Post now lives, and Van Ness, who married Post's sister Lena, where Horace Post now lives.
This same year his father, Christopher Post, came in from New Jersey with his wife, Margaret, his youngest son,
Jacob, and his wife, Mary, his daughter, Mary, and her husband, Cornelius Peterson, and his youngest daughter,
Ida, who was then unmarried, but subsequently became the wife of John Brokaw, in company with Cornelius Peterson,
father of his son-in-law Cornelius, and his family, which was large. Christopher took up 472 acres on lot 91, and
settled in the southeast corner, where Ebenezer Gilbert now lives. They came with wagons, over' the mountains,
fording streams which were bridgeless. Peterson settled on lot 83, where George Peterson, his grandson, now lives.
Christopher Post died on the homestead March 17th, 1816. His family are all dead, but several of his descendants
are living in this locality. George Post, another son of Christopher, came in from New Jersey in May, 1798, with
his wife, Anna, and two children, Margaret and John, the former of whom, now the widow of Wm. Selover, is living
in Auburn. His family went to Albany by the Hudson, and he joined them there by team across the country, and brought
them thence to their destination by the same mode of conveyance. He remained some ten days with his father, during
which time he bought of Lucas Brinkerhoff, a German from Esopus, (who came in the same year and purchased a State's
hundred of Jacob Byers,) fifty acres, on which the former had made a small clear. ing and built a log house. He
died October 4th, 1851, on the old homestead, which is now occupied by his son, Christopher G. Post, and grandson,
.George Sumner Post; the former of whom was born there August 8th, 1803, and still possesses a good degree of physical
and mental vigor, and who was Supervisor in 1855, '57 and '59, and Assessor three years, which latter office his
son, George Sumner Post, now holds. This fifty acres is on lot 91, on the shore of Owasco Lake, a fine view of
which it commands. The following grand-children of Christopher Post, in addition to Christopher G. and Margaret,
before named, are living, viz: Ida Peterson, daughter of Cornelius Peterson, on the Peterson farm, now occupied
by her nephew, Cornelius Peterson. Christopher, son of Wm. Post, in Wyoming county. Margaret, widow of Frederick
Van Liew, in Ohio; Jacob, in Scipio; Martin, in Perry, Wyoming county; George; Jane, now Mrs. Ebenezer Gilbert;
Helen, now Mrs. Cornelius Peterson, and Phebe Ann, now Mrs. James Chamberlain, the latter with her brotherin-law,
E. Gilbert, all children of Jacob Post, in Fleming. Hon. George I. Post, of Fair Haven, son of John Post, is a
great-grandson of Christopher's. His mother, Catharine, is now living with David B.. Post, in Fleming, on the old
homestead of John Post. Lucas Brinkerhoff lived on his remaining fifty acres three years, when he sold them to
George Post, to whom he sold the first fifty, and removed to lot 98. There he remained till the spring of i8i6,
when he again sold to George Post, and moved to Owasco and subsequently to Yates county, where he died.
Dr. Asa Cooley, the first physician in the town, settled three miles west of Fleming Hill, where George Bairn now
lives, and where he died, prior to 1798. His son Asa is living in Sennett. A family named Tyler and a man named
Wise, father of William and George Wise, settled prior to 1798, the former on Fleming Hill, and the latter where
the widow of his son William, and George, a bachelor, now lives, and where he and his son William died.
Settlements were made about 1798, by Orrin Wilkinson, Johnson Scoville and Josiah Chatfield. Wilkinson settled
east of Gen. Fleming, on an adjoining farm, about three miles southwest of Fleming village, where he lost his wife.
He remarried and removed to Seneca county, leaving his sons Orrin, Lyman and Lemuel, the latter of whom remained
on the farm till a few years ago, and is now living in Sennett. Orrin and Lyman moved west, the former some fifty
years ago, and the latter six or eight years ago.. Scoville was from Connecticut and settled where John Wheaton
now lives, about a mile and a half north-west of Fleming, where he hunghimself about 1820, while suffering from
aberration produced by religious excitatien. Chatfield was from the Eastern States, and settled on Fleming Hill,
where the widow of Hugh Van Ness now lives, and where he died. He is believed to have been the first to settle
on the site of the village. His family have all removed from the town.
John Baker came from Connecticut to the Mohawk country and thence to Fleming about the beginning of the present
century. He settled on Fleming Hill, where his son Artemas kept a blacksmith shop. His first house was burned,
when he built the one in which Dr. Samuel Gilmore now lives, which is only a few rods from the site of the first.
Parley Wheeler, brother of Edward Wheeler, came in from Fairfield, Connecticut, in 1805, and settled on lot 87,
about three miles west of Fleming, where his son, Edward P. Wheeler, now lives, and where, in 1807, he built a
hotel, which he kept a great many years. He and his brother died here at a very advanced age. Another son of Parley's,
Erastus, is living in Fleming, about a mile east of the old farm.
Aaron Bowen came in from Massachusetts in 1810, and settled where his son, John Smith Bowen, now lives, and where
he died in 1839. Amy Bowen, his daughter, who came in with him, is living with John Smith Bowen, aged eighty-two
TOWN OFFICERS.- The first town meeting
was held April 15th, 1823, and the first town officers were Luman Loomis, Supervisor; Amos Gould, Clerk; Elijah
Sheldon, Semi Babbit and John G. Paul, Assessors; Amos Gould and Elijah Wheeler, Overseers of the Peer; Ephraim
Hammond, Mathew F. Gregory and Ebenezer Gould, Commissioners of Highways; Luther Hamilton, Collector; Joseph Farmer,
Luther Hamilton and John G. Burroughs, Constables; Orange Wilkinson Asahel Cooley, and Stephen Lombard, Corninissioners
of Common Schools; Luther Hamilton, Ephraim Hammond, and Levi Farnsworth, Inspectors of Common Schools.
The present officers (1878) are:
Supervisor- H. E. Brannon.
Clerk- George Wyckoff.
Justices- John Robinson, Wm. R. Tryon and David B. Post.
Assessors-- Geo. S. Post, Daniel P. VanLiew and Timothy Brigden.
Commissioner of Highways- Aaron Bowers.
Overseer of the Poor- L. S. Barker.
Inspectors of Election- Geo. Crofoot, T. Perry and C. S. Pease.
Constables-Vincent Adams, John Smith, Jacob R. Post and Richard Geraghaty.
Game Constable- Vincent Adams.
Excise Commissioner-Henry Van Arsdale.
Fleming is beautifully situated upon an elevated plateau, a little south-east
of the center of the town, five miles south of Auburn, and three miles west of Wyckoffs Station. It contains two
churches, (Baptist and M. E.,) a district school, one hotel, (of which Wm. Geer, a native of Fleming, has been
proprietor since June 1st, 1878,) two stores, two wagon shops, (L. S. Baker and Romenzo Mabey, proprietors,) three
blacksmith shops, (Sandford Davis, G. F. & B. W. Mabey, and Charles Crawford & Son, proprietors,) and a
population of about 200.
The first settlement on the site of the village is believed to have been made by Josiah Chatfield, who came in
from the Eastern States before 1798. The house in which he lived and died is now occupied by the widow of Hugh
VanNess. His family have all moved from the town. A family named Tyler settled here about the same time. But settlements
were made prior to this on the hill north of this, known as Grover's Hill, from the Grovers who settled there.
That locality had become quite a business center, with store, hotel and post-office, before any considerable settlement
was made on Fleming Hill. A sharp rivalry existed between these two localities for the supremacy, with the chances
largely in favor of the latter. But the opening of a store in 1828, on Fleming Hill, by Stephen Thornton, and the
change of the post-office to that locality two years later, permanently decided the question in favor of the present
village, which, though small, the business being confined to the natural requirements of the country in its immediate
vicinity, has since enjoyed the distinction of being the village of the town. Possessing no natural advantages
to tempt the investment of capital in manufacturing enterprises, its growth has been slow, as its contiguity to
Auburn on the north and Union Springs on the west, has diverted much of the business which otherwise would naturally
MERCHANTS, -The first merchants
on Fleming Hill were Stephen Thornton and his son Wm. P. Thornton, who, in 1828, opened a store, which stood where
Mabey's blacksmith shop now stands. They dissolved after seven or eight years, and Francis, another son of Stephen's,
became his partner. About 1844, Stephen withdrew and Francis continued alone till about 1847, when Allen D. Morgan,
a son-in-law of Stephen Thorn ton's, became associated with Francis. After three or four years Francis withdrew,
and Morgan conducted the business alone about four years, when he sold to Francis and Seymour Thornton, brothers,
who did business about five years, when Seymour bought Francis' interest, and about 1862, sold to John Hammond
and James Rheubottom, who did business two or three years and then closed out.
William P. Thornton, immediately after dissolving partnership with his father, formed a copartnership with Isaac
Hammond. They erected the brick building now occupied by H. B. Gaston and did business some five or six years,
when they dissolved, Thornton removing from the town, and Hammond, to a farm in the town. Ebenezer Dunning and
Harvey Beach kept a store some five or six years from 1832, in the building now occupied as a wagon shop by L.
S. Baker. William Sheldon opened a store about 1836 and kept it' about twelve years, when he burned out. He subsequently
built the store now occupied by John Hale, but it is not remembered that he put in a stock of goods. A union store
was started in 1855, by a stock company, composed mostly of farmers, with a capital of $6,000. It was continued
The present merchants are, H. B. Gaston, who keeps a general stock. He is a native of Fleming; but he came from
Owasco in 1865, arid in the spring of 1866, opened a store in company with Johnson Tallman whose interest he bought
after nine months. John Hale commenced the grocery business in 1865, in company with his brother Luther Hale, whose
interest he bought after a little over two years. The postoffice is kept in his store.
POSTMASTERS.- The first postmaster
was Dr. Isaac Brown, who moved the office from Grover's Hill about 1830. Dr. Samuel Gilmore was appointed in 1836,
and was succeeded by William P. Thornton, who held the office five or six years. Francis Thornton succeeded him
and held the office till about 1847. E. P. Baker held the office during the last two years of Millard Fillmore's
administration. He succeeded Elias Thorne and was superseded by William H. Carpenter. W. W. Sheldon was subsequently
appointed and held it four years. Allen Morgan next held the office about five years, and Abel Hasbrouck, about
four. Luther Hale received the appointment in 1865, and held the office till January 1st, 1867, when John Hale,
the present incumbent, was appointed.
PHYSICIANS.- The first physicians
who practiced in the town were Drs. Asahel Cooley and Jacob Bogart, probably as early as 1800. Cooley lived three
miles west of Fleming, where George Bairn now lives, and where he died in 1828. Bogart settled at the foot of the
lake. But the first physician who settled at Fleming village was Isaac Brown, from the Eastern States, in 1816.
In 1831, he formed a copartnership with Samuel Gilmore, a native of Schuyler, Herkirner county, who came in 1830
from Throop, to which town he removed with his father in 1808. In 1836, the partnership was dissolved and Dr. Brown
removed to Michigan. In 1848 Dr. Gilmore sold his practice to E. P. Baker, from Owasco, and removed to Auburn and
subsequently to Aurelius, where he remained on a farm till 1865, when he returned to Fleming and resumed practice,
which he still continues. From September i8th, 1874 to June 30th, 1875, he was associated with Charles O. Baker,
who is now practicing in Elbridge. Dr. Gilmore has been a resident of the County over seventy years and a practicing
physician nearly fifty years. He is a man of rare qualities of head and heart, honored and trusted by all that
know him. He has kept himself fully informed in the advancing literature of his profession, and has also actively
participated in the political, religious and educational progress of his time, in all of which relations he has
been an honored and an honorable standard bearer. E. P. Baker, who is now practicing in Aurora, remained here about
seven years, when he sold to a Dr. Peck and removed to Ira. Dr. Peck remained till 1865, till the return of Dr.
Gilthore. Frank Hoxie came in from Owasco in the fall of 1877, and is still practicing here.
FLEMING BAPTIST CHURCH was organized
as the First Baptist church in Aurelius, with twentytwo members, June 4th, 1796, by Elder David Irish, the pioneer
preacher of Cayuga County, who commenced his labors in this town the previous year. It is the second church organized
in Cayuga County. Elder Irish, who was then in charge of the church in Scipio, preached to this Society at stated
periods till 1800, in which year he resigned his charge in Scipio and became the pastor of this church, and remained
such till his death, September 13th, 1815. In the years 1801, '2 and '5, about one hundred were added to the membership,
and in 1806, a most remarkable revival was experienced and ninety-seven were added.
During his pastorate their first house of worship was erected. Their second pastor was Jonathan Hascall, who
commenced his labors with them June 6th, 1817, and closed them at the end of the year; the church having experienced
a revival during his stay by which thirtyfive were added to their numbers. He was succeeded in 1818 by William
Witter, who remained one year. Their fourth pastor was Henry R. Clark, who entered upon the duties of his office
in 1821, and remained five years, during which time two revivals were enjoyed, and sixty-nine added to their number
by baptism. He was succeeded by Samuel M. Plumb, August 6th, 1827. In the first years of Elder Plumb's pastorate
the evil effects arising from the discussion of the questions of Free Masonry and Temperance which were so prevalent
throughout the churches were manifest in this; but in 1831 their religious apathy disappeared and they experienced
a revival which added sixty-two to their number by baptism, and was followed in 1832 by a protracted meeting of
nine days' duration, by which twenty-seven were added and a spirit of religious activity awakened. Elder Plumb
closed his labors in April, 1833, and was succeeded by A. Clark that year. Elder Clark served a pastorate of two
years, and was suc ceeded in 1836 by J. C. Molt, who remained one year.
L. Farnsworth assumed the pastoral care April 1st, 1838, and remained till January, 1842. During his pastorate
the church purchased a lot in the village and erected a new and commodious house of worship, partially from the
material used in the construction of the old one. It was dedicated in 1840. Soon after its completion a revival
was experienced, by which forty-seven were added by baptism and letter. S. S. Wheeler became their pastor in 1843,
and added eighteen to their number. He was succeeded in 1845 by H. Cady, who remained two years. From this period
till the spring of 1850, when J. M. Shaw was called to the pastorate, the pulpit was supplied by Brother Justus
Ask, of Springport, and Elder George Plummer. Elder Shaw was ordained December 27th, 1850, and served them till
1851. He was followed the third Sabbath in May, 1852, by T. H. Green, who closed his labors with them April 1st,
1854. Ezra Dean, of Auburn, supplied the pulpit till May 5th, 1860. E. Smith entered upon the pastoral charge the
third Sabbath in May, 1860. He tendered his resignation August 3d, 1861, and was granted a letter of dismission
February 1st, 1862. He was succeeded May 3d, 1862, by C. A. Smith, who remained till 1867. E. Dean served them
again as a supply till March 7th, 1868. William L. Goodspeed commenced his labors with them May 2d. 1868, and closed
them January 1st, 1870. He was succeeded March 5th, 1870, by James H. McGahen, who continued his pastoral labors
till March 2d, 1872. G. D. Downey served them a short period from May 22d, 1872. D. Conley became their pastor
June 15th, 1873, and remained four years, till the summer of 1877, when sickness, which resulted in his death,
compelled him to discontinue his labors. He was succeeded in June, 1877, by L. Brasted, the present pastor.
During the summer of 1876, their church edifice was repaired at a cost of $1,400, so that it now presents a very
neat appearance. The present number of members is eighty-one; and the attendance at Sabbath school, about thirty.
SAND BEACH CHURCH.- This church
is situated two miles from the city of Auburn. It was founded on the 10th of March, 1807, when a meeting was held
at the house of Mr. Asa Jackson, and after prayer, George Burnett was chosen moderator, and Jacob Bogart, clerk.
It was then resolved that Andrew VanMiddiesworth, Frederick Van Liew and Peter VanLiew be appointed to fix a site
for a meeting-house, said house to be built on land belonging to. and granted by Asa Jackson, at whose house a
meeting was held on the 19th of March, 1807, when Asa Jackson, Andrew Van Middlesworth and George Burnett were
appointed managers for building said house, which was to be 44 by 34 feet, with galleries. The building of the
house was delayed, and .on the 13th of January, 1810, another meeting was held at the house of Asa Jackson, when
it was resolved to go on with the building of a house of worship, and that the managers previously appointed, erect
a house of worship 40 by 36 feet, with galleries on three sides.
On June 5th, 1810, a meeting was held at the house of Mr. Asa Jackson, when further measures were taken for selecting
a suitable site for the church building. The first pastor of the Sand Beach Church was Rev. Conrad TenEyck, who
remained in its service until the year 1826. After the close of Rev. Mr. TenEyck's ministry, the church applied
to the secretary of the Missionary Society of the Reformed Dutch Church, in the city of New York, asking to have
a missionary sent to them. In response to this request, Rev. Benjamin Westfall was sent. He entered upon his mission
June 5th, 1826. From that time to the present, (1826 to 1879,) the Sand Beach Church has had seventeen pastors;
their names are as follows : Rev. Henry Hurmans, 1828; Rev. I. G. Tarbell, 1831; Rev. Leonard Rogers, 1833; Rev.
Robert Kirkwood, 1836; Rev. John Mole, 1839; Rev. R. W. Knight, 1842; Rev. A. B. Winfield, Rev. S. R. Brown, 1851:
Rev. Seth Hastings, 1859; Rev. John Garretson, 1862; Rev. Mr. Schenck, 1865; Rev. S. R. Brown, 1868; Rev. Mr. Huntington
1869; Rev. Mr. Rice, 1871; Rev A. Dean, 1872; Rev. Geo. McKinley, 1876; Rev. E. C. Lawrence, 1877; Rev. Charles
During the ministry of Rev. S. R. Brown, about the year 1853, measures were taken to erect a substantial brick
edifice on the site of the old Sand Beach Church. This building was cornpleted and dedicated to the service of
God on the 26th of July, 1855. The cost of the new church was about $6,000. This building is still in good repair,
and a beautiful house of worship. The present number of members is about fifty-five. The Sabbath School is very
flourishing, and averages an attendance of from thirty to fifty. The usefulness of this church, planted in the
wilderness by the pioneers of Cayuga County, cannot be estimated by its numbers. The light of its altar fire still
illuminates this region of country, and God has not forsaken the church dedicated to his Holy Name.
THE FIRST SOCIETY OF THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF FLEM1NG.- In 1832 the Rev. Gardnier Baker, who was then the pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church
in Auburn, occasionally preached at Fleming and formed a class as follows: Samuel Gilmore, Leader; Daniel K. Culver
and wife, Henry Whitbeck and wife, Emory Ingaisby and wife, Daniel Shaw and wife, Mrs. Lydia Wyckoff, Mrs. Abigail
Culver and Mrs. Sabrina Forbes.
During May and June, 1832, Revs. Baker and Coryell held a protracted meeting of several weeks duration, in Elliott
Howell's barn. Such assemblages being then a novelty, were largely attended, deep interest was excited and more
than one hundred persons hopefully converted. The need of a house of worship at once was urgent, and a legal organization
of the "First Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Fleming," was perfected June 19th 1832, of
which the first trustees were: Dr. Samuel Gilmore, Henry Whitbeck, Daniel K. Culver, Emory Ingaisby and Daniel
Shaw. The church edifice was commenced that year and aedicated in May, 1833. The first pastor was Rev. Darius Simmons,
succeeded by James P. Ellsworth and Ross Clark. Among their later pastors have been many men who became eminent
in their profession, including Doctor Lamkin, John E. Robie, A. Cross, B. I. Ives and others. The present pastor
is the Rev. Pratt T. Hughston.
Their present fine edifice was completed and dedicated June 8th, 1876. The present trustees are Ovid A. Baker,
Hiram Thornton, Henry Whitbeck, Elliott Howell and William Clarke.
The present number of members is 90, and the attendance at Sabbath School, 45.
WYCKOFFS STATION, (Owasco Lake p. o.,) is situated on the S. C. R. R., on the
shore of the lake, seven miles south of Auburn. It contains neither church, store, hotel, nor shop, the postoffice
being kept in the depot. The first postmaster here was David Chamberlain, who was appointed in 1850, and held the
office three years. He was succeeded by Christopher G. Post, who held it nearly thirteen years, and was followed
by John Knox, the present incumbent.
FOUR MILE HOUSE.- This hotel is
beautifully situated on one of the pleasantest coves on the west shore of the lake, four miles south of Auburn.
The proprietor, Mr. A. Brown, keeps a supply of sail and row boats for the accommodation of his guests. In 1876,
he added further to the attractions of the place by the erection of a large summer house for picnic and dancing
parties. This is one of those charming spots which nature and art combined have made inviting to the weary ones
seeking rest and recreation, and under the efficient management of Mr. Brown has won a much deserved popularity.
MANUFACTURES- Mosher's Mills are
located three-fourths of a mile west of Fleming, and occupy the site of a saw-mill erected as early as 1820, by
Amos Gould, and run by the Goulds a good many years. The present proprietor, Amos Mosher, added a feed-mill in
1873, and in 1876, a cider-mill. It is a frame building, and contains a circular saw and one run of stones. It
was operated by water power until 1878, in which year a steam engine was put in.
In the west part of the town is a water-power saw-mill, owned by Asa Cornell, which has been in operation a great