TOWN OF THROOP.
THROOP, named in honor of Ex-Governor Enos T. Throop, is an interior town, lying near the center of the County.
It is bounded on the north by Mentz and Brutus, on the east by Sennett, on the south by Auburn and Aurelius, and
on the west by Aurelius and Montezuma. It was formed from portions of Aurelius, Mentz and Sennett, April 8th, 1859.
The surface is greatly undulating, though broken in places by sand and gravel ridges, which have an elevation of
100 to 150 feet. The steepest declivities are in the west part. It is well watered by Owasco Outlet, Cayuga, Spring
and Cold Spring brooks and numerous springs. The Outlet is abundantly stocked with pickerel, catfish, perch and
large nice whitefish.
The soil on the west side-hills is clayey, requiring much fertilizing to make it productive, and is then soon exhausted;
while the east sidehills consist of sand and gravel, and are of almost inexhaustible fertility. The soil in the
valleys is a sandy loam, and is rich and productive.
The town contains some of the finest gravelbeds to be found in the State. The gravel is much used upon the roads,
which, as a rule, are unusually good in this section of the country.
On the Outlet, about one and one-half miles below Throopsville, is an extensive bed of gypsum, which covers several
acres, and exposes on the east bank of the stream a thickness of thirty feet. It is a good quality of the sulphate
of lime, which is an excellent fertilizer, and has been used to a considerable extent. Opposite, and about a mile
west, in a marsh on the farm of Philo Sweet, is a deposit of marl covering several acres, and known to be six feet
deep. Lime was obtained at an early day from the hill on the farm of Mrs. Clara Thompson. Near Wyatt A. Benham's
mill is a sulphur spring of superior quality, but nb steps have been taken to develop it. On the farm of Perry
Manrow, about two and one-half miles north-east of Throopsville, is a large and copious spring, which is strongly
impregnated with sulphate of magnesia. There is another of like character on the place of Mrs. Betsy Atwater, about
one and one-half miles West of Throopsville.
The Southern Central Railroad crosses the north-east and south-east corners of the town.
The population in 1875 was 1,213 ; of whom 1,009 were native; 204, foreign; and all, white.
The town covers an area of 11,463 acres; of which 10,002 are improved; 821, woodlands and 640, otherwise unimproved.
It is well known that this section of country was the favorite hunting ground of the Cayugas, who, at the completion
of the federation of the Five Nations, were designated as a "people whose habitation is the 'Dark Forest,'
and whose home is everywhere," and were denominated the fourth nation, "because of superior cunning in
hunting." But there is evidence that the territory embraced in this town was vested with more importance than
attaches to their temporary encampments while on fishing and hunting excursions. When the first settlers came in
there was a fort, round in shape, and inclosing about two acres, on the farm of Michael Madden, near the center
of the town. In 1814, after having been plowed for successive years, the embankment was too high to be driven over.
Adjacent to the fort human bones have been exhumed, evidently those of Indians.
Settlement was commenced in 1790, by Ezekiel Crane and his son Shadrach, from New Jersey. They located on lot 2,
in the north-west part of the town, a little south-east of the locality early known as the Ward Settlement. The
fact of Crane's being the first settler is noted on the tombstone erected over his remains, on the farm on which
he settled. The Cranes sold the farm to St. Clair Smith, and removed to Michigan about 1823. It is now owned by
William Fowler. Shadrach Crane and Hannah Palmer contracted the first marriage, and Ezekiel Crane was the first
child born in the town.
In 1796, Isaac Barnum, Othniel Palmer and son, from Connecticut, and Israel Clapp, from Massachusetts, settled
on lot 16; Wm. Duvall and James Leonard, from New Jersey, the former on lot 2 and the latter on lot 4; and Jonas
Ward and his son Caleb, from the same State, on lot 92. Barnum came in with his family, and located about three-fourths
of a mile west of Throopsville, where Morton Hosford now lives. He lived in the town many years. Palmer moved with
his family to Wayne county. Prentice, his son, built the first saw and grist-mill, in 179$. Clapp settled a little
east of Barnum, where Wyatt A. Benham lives. He was a farmer and weaver, and had a large and respectable family.
He was also an inn-keeper. He built and kept the first inn in 1800. He died some twenty years ago on the old homestead,
where his wife also died. His daughter, Mrs. Cook Tyler, is living in Port Byron. Duvall came in with the surveyors
and settled with his family on the Murdock farm, in the north-west part of the town. He removed to Port Byron,
and subsequently to Campbell's Island, in Seneca River, which he bought some forty years ago, and where he died
and is buried. James and Manasseb Leonard, Giles and Wm. Meads, brothers, and Joseph Farrand, settled near Duvall
very early. Farrand moved in with his family from New Jersey, and settled in the north-west part, on lot 13, on
the farm now owned by Wm. Fowler. The family removed to Michigan about the same time the Cranes did. The Wards
settled on the farm now owned by Chauncey Carrier and gave the name to the locality known as the Ward Settlement.
Stephen Ward, a son of Jonas, is now living in Mentz.
Christopher and Rev. John Jeffries, from Saratoga Springs, settled in 1799, at Throopsville, where the former kept
a hotel for many years, and where he died and is buried. John Jeifries was one of the first ministers in the county.
He ministered to the spiritual wants of the people in all this section of the country. Settlements were made the
same year by Ephraim Wethey and Manonah Clark. Wethey located near the center, on lot 4, his land bordering on
the creek. He was from Dutchess county, and kept a hotel a good many years in the house now occupied by Jeremiah
B. Clark, where he died some thirtyfive or forty years ago. Chauncey and Erastus Wethey are his grandsons. The
former is the present (1879) Supervisor and is living in the north part of the town. The latter lives in the south
part of Mentz. Manonah Clark was from Oneida county. He settled a little west of the center, on lot 4. He was the
maternal grandfather of General John S. Clark, a civil engineer of Auburn, and the first Supervisor of Throop.
Dr. Joseph Clary settled at Throopsville about 1800. He was the first physician there, and practiced in the village
till his death in 1863. David and Amos Codner settled the following year a little west of Barnum, on lot 14. Some
of their descendants are still living there.
Tn 1802, Younglove Manrow moved in with his family from Sharon, Conn., and settled on lot 6, on a tract of 400
acres, which he took up and cleared. He built a cloth-dressing establishment at a very early day on Cold Spring
Brook, on the site of the saw mill owned by Martin Van Aken, and pursued that business for several years. He subsequently
erected a saw-mill on the same site, which has long since gone to decay. He died about 1831, and is buried on the
old homestead. Myron C Manrow, his youngest child, who is living in the northeast part of the town, near the old
homestead, is the only one of his children living in the town; though numerous descendants of the Manrow family
are living in the same locality. Younglove Manrow, Jr., who was born in Sharon, Conn., and was ten years old when
his father moved in, lived in this locality till his death, August 17th 1865, aged 73 years.
Mr. Myron C. Manrow relates that there was a deer-run across the hill in this vicinity, and that one winter, soon
after his father settled here, sixteen deer were driven into the latter's barn in one drove, the sharp crust upon
the snow making it difficult and painful for them to proceed.
Benjamin and David Horton, Ira Hopkins, Moses Treat, and his son, Chester, settled in this locality soon after
the Manrows. John and Benjamin Waits, brothers, also settled in the northeast part, on the farm owned by Otis Ingalls.
John kept a store in the village at an early day, in the house now owned by the Raymond family and occupied as
a dwelling. It is a double house. He kept store in one end and lived in the other.
John and Samuel Gilmore, brothers, and Josiah Andrews, their brother-in-law, moved in from Utica, March 24th, 1809,
and settled a lit-. tie south of the Ward Settlement. Jane, Robert and Samuel Gilmore, children of John, came in
with their father. All occupied the same house. William Gilmore, a son of John, is now living in the town of Montezuma.
Joseph Hadden came in with his family from Greene county, in February, 1813, and
took up one hundred acres on lot 95, where his son Joseph now lives, and where he died in 1824. He bought of a
family named Belden, who came in about the beginning of the present century, and had erected a log house. John
and Lemuel Belden, says Joseph Hadden, were then engaged in cloth-dressing in Tb roopsvili e. Elizabeth, daughter
of the elder Hadden, (late Mrs. Robert Griffin,) lived on the same lot, just north of her brother, and died there
at an advanced age, February 28th, 1879, and was buried from the house in which she had resided over seventy years.
William Bell came in from Herkimer county, May 31st, 1814, and settled in the north-westpart, on lot 3. He brought
with him his wife, Mary, and four sons, Thomas, who is now living in Sennett, Samuel, living in Sacramento, California,
William, living in Montezuma, to which town he removed in 1860, and John, who lives on the old homestead in Throop.
Amos Cowell came in from Bern, Albany county, in the fall of 1814, and settled on lot 96, in the north-east part
of the town, on the farm now owned by the widow of John Sittser. In 1817 he removed to the town of Cato, locating
on lot 20, on the farm now owned by John Smith, where he died in 1860, over eighty-seven years old. He came with
his family, consisting of nine children, six of whom are living, viz: Samuel, in Weedsport, aged seventy-nine,
to which village he removed from Cato in the Spring of 1864; Deborah, now Mrs. Augustus R. Brooks, in Weedsport;
Elizabeth, widow of William Aumock, in Cato; Abigail, widow of Samuel Stringham, in Lisbon, Michigan; Joseph, in
Weedsport; John, in Conquest; and Amos, in Orleans county.
The first school was taught in 1800, by Edward Carpenter.
The officers elected at the organization of the town were: John S. Clark, Supervisor; Milan McCarthy, Clerk; Orin
McCarthy, Collector; John H. O'Hara, Henry S. Macy, Peter Sittser and Morton Hosford, Justices; Alex Knox, Chester
Treat and Don C. Wiggins, Assessors; Irvin D. Remington, Abram Mead and Thomas J. Manro, Commissioners of Highways;
Philip A. Manro and Joseph H. Hadden, Overseers of the Poor; Orin McCarthy, Franklin Schuyler and John Worden,
Constables; Francis A. Hopping, Benjamin H Barber and Burton B. Tyler, Inspectors of Election.
The present town officers (1879,) are: Chauncey J. Wethey, Supervisor; William B. Smith, Clerk; David M. Horton,
John Bell, Philo Sweet and John S. Manro, Justices; John S. Eckert, Commissioner of Highways; Michael Madden, Overseer
of the Poor; Frank Chase, Ethan Bell and Amos B. Wiggins, Town Auditors; James H. Webster, Frank R. Schuyler and
Israel Petty. Inspectors of Election; William D. Hilliard, Collector; Allen Hutchinson, Joseph Dolan and Wallace
Worden, Constables; Ira Hopkins, Assessor; Martin Van Aken, Excise Commissioner.
THROOPSVILLE (p. o.) is pleasantly situated on Owasco Outlet, a little south-east
of the center of the town. It is distant three miles north of Auburn and about five miles south of Port Byron,
with both of which places it is connected by daily stage, thus bringing it within easy communication with the direct
line of the New York Central Railroad at the latter place, and with the old branch of that road and with the Southern
Central at the former. It is surrounded by rich and productive farming lands, which are settled by a class of people
whose surroundings evince a fair degree of thrift and culture. The Outlet furnishes abundant water power and ample
facilities for manufacturing, but being off the line of both railroads and canals, those facilities are but partially
Settlement was commenced on the site of the village in 1799, by Christopher and Rev. John Jeffries, as previously
detailed. Dr. Joseph Clary settled here the following year. William Ranney and a family named Winchell were early
settlers near Throopsville.
The village contains two churches, (Baptist and Disciples,) a union school, two stores, three grist-mills, a creamery,
two blacksmith shops, (of which Warren House and Isaac M. Slater are the proprietors,) one carriage shop, (of which
Wm. B. Smith is proprietor,) and a population of about 200.
MERCHANTS.- The first merchant was Luther Harden, who opened a store in 1804. John Waits and a man named Madison
were early merchants at Throopsville.
T. J. Manro, one of the present merchants, commenced business four or five years ago, having previously lived in
the town some thirty years.
The other merchant is E. C. Lathrop, who commenced business in Throopsville October 1st, 1876.
MANUFACTURES. - The manufacturing interests of Throopsville are of considerable importance, though one of its chief
industries was lost by the suspension of operations in the spring factory in the summer of 1877. Messrs. Lewis
& Co. were engaged several years in the manufacture of springs, in a building which stands close to the upper
bridge crossing the Outlet, and which was erected some twelve years since, on the site of one used as a fork manufactory,
which was burned two years previously.
The present manufacturing establishments consist of three grist and fiouring-mills and a creamery, which latter,
until the present year, was occupied as a cheese factory.
Daniel. and Frederick L. Neyhart, under the firm name of D. Neyhart & Co., are proprietors of the mill on the
lower dam, which was built in 1853, (on the site of one erected some sixty years since,) by Daniel and Joseph Neyhart,
from Auburn, where the latter has always lives, It is a wooden structure, sixty-five by forty feet, with three
stories, besides basement and attic. It contains four run of stones, and has a capacity for merchant work of one
hundred barrels of flour per day. The motive power is furnished by water from the outlet, which has here a fall
of twelve feet. Joseph Neyhart maintained his connection with the firm, which then consisted besides himself of
Daniel Neyhart, about four or five years, when he withdrew, and Frederick, the latter's son, was admitted to partnership.
Llewellyn Smith and John Priest, under the firm name of Smith & Priest, commenced business May 1st, 1878, in
the mill at the middle dam, which affords a fall of ten feet. The mill was built in 1822. It is constructed of
wood; is three stories high; and contains four run of stones.
Wyatt A. Benham is proprietor of the grist and flouring-mill at the upper dam. The mill, which is built of wood,
was erected on the site of a cider-mill and distillery built by Geo. Hines, and taken away in 1875. It is three
stories high, and contains four run of stones. There is a small saw-mill attached to it which was built by a man
named Dodge. The motive power is supplied by water from the Outlet, with a fall of ten and one-half feet. Enoch
Van Aken is the miller.
THE THROOPSVILLE CHEESE MANUFACTURING COMPANY was incorporated January r6th, 1864, with Erasmus Atwater, Ulysses
A. Wright, Jas. M. Clark, Morton Hosford, Thos. J. Manro, Don C. Wiggins and Milan McCarthy as Trustees, and Ulysses
A. Wright as President; Milan McCarthy, Secretary; and Don C. Wiggins, Treasurer.
The present officers are, Morton Hosford, President; Milan Mc Carthy, Secretary and Treasurer; who, together with
John H. Corwith, Lansing Hopkins and Chas. A. Clary, are the Trustees.
January 18th, 1878, the factory was rented to Wm. W. Gustin and John J. Brown, who converted it into a creamery.
It receives the milk of about one hundred cows, and is supplied with pure spring water, which is conducted to it
from some distance by means of a pipe.
PHYSICIANS.- The first physician at Throopsyule was Dr. Joseph Clary. who located there in i8oo, and practiced
there till his death in May, 1863. Lewis McCarter was another early physician.
The present physicians are Byron E. Osborn, allopath, and Wm. M. Guinn, homeopath. Dr. Osborn came here from Missouri,
in 1867, immediately from the army of the south-west, under General Scofield, having served as surgeon since near
the beginning of the war. The doctor, though comparatively young, came to this place, the home of his wife's relatives,
purposing to retire from practice; but severe losses by fire soon after his settlement here, made it necessary
for him to resume practice.
THROOPSVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH. - Among the first settlers of the town were numbers of staunch Baptists, who came,
with warm hearts and willing hands, to labor or sacrifice for Christ. In 1803, the interests of the cause and the
increase in population seemed to demand a new and separate organization, and accordingly forty members were dismissed
from the Third Church in Aurelius, and on the 20th of October in the same year were constituted the Baptist Church
in Jefferson. Their first meeting as a Church is supposed to have been held at the house of Asa Palmer, October
27th, 1803, at which time they fixed the time and place for their Church and covenant meetings, and adopted measures
to secure the labors of Elder Silas Barnes as a temporary supply. At the next meeting, held at the house of John
Jeffries, November 27th, 1803, they elected their first officers, Israel Clapp and Win. Montgomery being chosen
deacons. - The latter was also made clerk. At this meeting they "voted to raise six dollars to defray expenses,"
this being the first sum raised for this purpose.
During the first few months they were unable to establish regular preaching, but depended mainly on occasional
visits from Elders Irish, Barnes and French. In 1804, one of their number, John Jeffries, was licensed to preach
and elected pastor. He was ordained by a council convened for that purpose October 24th, 1805, at the house of
Philip King, in King's Settlemant, now Port Byron.
The relation thus happily formed, continued twenty-seven years.
In 1806, they enjoyed their first revival, which resulted in the addition of thirty-one to their number. In i8o8,
the Legislature having changed the name of their town from Jefferson to Mentz, the name of the church was changed
to The Baptist Church in Mentz.
January 19th, 1809, the church sustained a severe loss in the death of Deacon William Montgomery.
In 1810 another revival was experienced, which resulted in the addition of ninety-eight members.
In 1812 and 1813, similar revivals were experienced, which resulted in the addition of thirtythree the former year,
and thirty-nine the latter. In 1818, another marked revival occurred, by which 125 were added to the church by
baptism, forty-four of whom were heads of families, and twenty-four by letter and restoration, making a total gain
of 149, and a total membership of 337.
Up to this time their meetings had been held in school-houses, private houses and barns, which, with the large
accessions to their numbers, were too circumscribed for their further use. They, therefore, determined to erect
a suitable place of worship, and for this purpose a lot was purchased near the village, upon which was erected
a commodious house, covering an area of 61 by 44 feet.
From this period until 1827 the church enjoyed continued prosperity, experiencing in 1826 another revival and an
addition of forty-two to their membership.
About 1830 EIder Jeifries, together with thirty-nine brethren and sisters, were dismissed from this church to constitute
the Second Church in Mentz (now Port Byron,). The remaining fifteen years of Elder Jeifries' labors were spent
mostly with the churches in Port Byron and Montezuma, both of which were formed from members dismissed for that
purpose from the church in Throopsville.
By the loss of Elder Jeifries and the division in the church, caused by the propagation of "Campbellism,"
the church was exceedingly disheartened, and for a time serious thoughts were entertained of a disbandment of the
society; but good friends came to the rescue and another pastor was secured.
In August, 1830, Elder Noah Barrell visited this people, and was happily settled as pastor of the church. A revival
was now commenced in which forty-eight were received by baptism and letter, and the church began to regain that
strength, influence and ability for usefulness, which had seemed forever lost. Elder Barrell continued his labors
four years. He was succeeded in 1855, by Elder N. Card, as a temporary supply, and in 1836, by Elder H. B. Fuller,
During the second year of Elder Fuller's pastorate a revival occurred, which resulted in the addition of twenty-seven
to their numbers; and a valuable addition was made to the church property by the purchase of a parsonage, including
ten acres of land at an expense of $1,400. Having continued his labors about two and a half years, Elder Fuller
resigned and was succeeded by Noah Bariell, the former pastor, during whose three years' labors ninety-two were
added by baptism andietter. The next pastor was Elder E. Miner, who commenced his labors in the spring of 1843,
and continued two years, during which forty-nine were added by baptism and twentyone by letter. Elder Miner was
succeeded by Elder O. Montague, in the spring of 1845. He remained till the spring of 1847, and during the two
years of his ministry fourteen were added by baptism and seven by letter.
Elder A. Russell Belden entered upon his labors as pastor the third Sabbath of April, 1847. Under his ministry,
up to 1850, seventy-three were received to membership. He was succeeded by Elders Crandall, H. C. Hazen, William
Phillips, William, P. Decker and Thomas Goodwin, the latter of whom became the pastor in 1863. During his pastorate
some twenty were added to the membership by baptism. He was succeeded in 1866 by Elder B. Morley, who remained
till September 1st, 1867, and was succeeded by Elder Edgar E. Smith, during whose pastorate the church was in a
prosperous condition and received as members by baptism sixteen at one time and two at another. The next pastor
was Elder G. B. Downey, who commenced his labors in 1876 and left the same year. Elder Edward T. Fox, the present
pastor, entered upon the duties of his office in 1877. The church edifice was repaired in 1877, at a cost of about
$600. It will seat 1000 people.
THE CHURCH OF THE DISCIPLES OF CHRIST was organized in 1836, with sixty-five members, who withdrew from the Baptist
church in Throop by reason of a difference of opinion upon doctrinal questions and questions of church polity.
Prominent among the original members were Josiah Sherwood, Thomas D. Foster, Israel Clapp, Simeon Mott, William
Allen, D. C. Goodrich, G. McCarty and Hiram McCarty. They held meetings in a select school-house on the farm of
Israel Clapp, in this town.
In 1841 the church divided by unanimous consent, and those living in Auburn held their meetings there. The remainder
reorganized and in 1851 built a house of worship, at a cost of $1,800. The present number of members is fifty;
the attendance at Sabbath School, sixty.
SOCIETES.- Union Grange of Throop, No. 70, was organized in 1873, with Wilber F. Treat, as Master; Egbert Hadden,
Overseer; Morton Hosford, Chaplain; H. H. Treat, Secretary; and John Corwith, Treasurer. The presiding officers
are: Townsend, Master; Milton Manro, Secretary; John Corwith, Treasurer; Morton Hosford, chaplain; Ford, Overseer.
The present number of members is seventy.