THE TOWN OF CANAAN.
This is one of the eastern border towns of the county, and is the second from the northern boundary. It was
originally a part of King's district, which, as at first erected, embraced the present towns of Canaan, New Lebanon,
three fourths of Chatham and a small part of Austerlitz.
The general character of the town may be called mountainous. The Taghkanic range traverses its eastern border,
while transverse spurs therefrom extend well across the town towards the west. Its valleys are narrow but fertile.
Geologically the town offers a great variety of formations; some excellent slate exists that is commercially valuable,
while magnesian limestone abounds. Several mineral ores abound, but not in sufficient quantities to make their
extraction profitable. There are no large streams in the town, the outlet of Oueechy Lake, Flat Brook and a branch
of the Kline Kill forming the list worthy of mention. Queechy Lake is a small body of pure water in the northwestern
part of the town.
It has been generally admitted that the southern part of the town was the first to be settled, but positive evidence
of this is wanting, and while it has been stated that settlement began as early as 1750, no proof exists that actual
occupation of the soil for the purpose of establishing homes took place until after 1760.
Asa Douglas, who had an interest in the "Six-Mile-Square" tract purchased of the Stockbridge Indians
in 1758, before Massachusetts' claim of jurisdiction was canceled, induced some families from Connecticut to take
up homes in the region. His home was in the northern part of the town, and was a noted resort of the Whigs during
the Revolution. He was a major in the army. He had four sons, Asa, Zebulon, John and Horatio Gates.
Col, William B, Whiting came in 1765 and purchased of his brother Gamaliel the latter's interest in a large tract
of land near Queechy. He was prominent in developing the region, and commanded a regiment under General Gates.
His sons were Daniel, Nathan, Samuel and John, and he had besides three daughters. John remained on the homestead,
which was transmitted to his heirs, and finally passed from the possession of the family. A grandson of his now
lives in the town.
William Warner, from Connecticut, settled at Canaan Center in 1764 and was an innkeeper. He died in 1776, leaving
thirteen children, of whom six were sons. Many of his descendants lived in the town for half a century, but it
is not known that any are now among the town's citizens.
Soon after Warner's arrival Aaron Kellogg, from Wethersfield, Conn., came to the locality and settled. He had six
sons, Joseph, Aaron, Martin, Robbins, Clinton and John, and their homes were mostly made in the town. In 1782 Aaron
Kellogg built a house upon the turnpike, with his name and date of erection of the building cut upon the door handle.
It is now occupied by Daniel W. Curtis.
Between 1765 and 1770 Elihu Curtis settled near Flat Brook. He was a tanner, a prominent man and became wealthy.
He left a son, Samuel A. (who, it is believed, was the first white male born in the town), who was the father of
Daniel S. and Samuel A. The former was an active and influential man, was supervisor of his town two terms, and
served one term in the Assembly; he died in 1874. The latter was also prominent in town affairs, serving as supervisor
in 1801, and was a captain in the old militia. Grandsons of the latter are yet in the town.
In the vicinity of Colonel Whiting's home William Aylesworth and Zebulon Robbins were early settlers.
Near Red Rock Daniel Lovejoy was a pioneer. He had four sons, Daniel (who was killed in the Revolutionary war),
Benjamin, Justus and Ebenezer. Sons of the latter settted in New Concord, and their descendants are now living
in the town.
To the same neighborhood, as early as 1760, came Ebenezer Cady. The family name has a number of representatives
in Canaan and other towns of the county. Near Cady, John Beebe made a home and had sons, Daniel, Russell and John,
the latter a weaver and noted for the fine quality of his work.
A little to the north of Red Rock the Ford family located; Jonathan was a lieutenant in the American army, and
Joseph G., a son, was distinguished as a surveyor. The family is well known and highly respected. Descendants of
this family are still an important element in tho town's population.
David Barrett bought a large tract of land in 1765, south of Red Rock, in that portion afterwards set off to form
the town of Austerlitz, where his sons, John, David, Daniel, Jeremiah, Elijah and Ezra made their homes. Members
of this family are still residents of the county.
In 1760 Simeon Doty removed from the East and settled in Canaan, on the place now owned by A. Freehan. He served
as one of the first deacons of the church at New Concord. He had four sons, John, Joseph, Samuel (a Revolutionary
soldier) and Simeon. Numerous descendants of this family live in the county.
The Frisbies of Canaan (post office) are descendants of Philip Frisbie, whose sons were Gideon, Samuel and Roswell
B. Philip was an early settler and erected a house which is still standing, and many of his name have been and
are now residents of the town.
Other early settlers were Smith Park (in 1780), Matthew Hawley, the Wilcox family, the Baldwins, and many others,
whose names have passed from the memory of the "oldest inhabitants." Later corners were Frederick W.
Skiff, a blacksmith, and his son, Uriah D., and Allen Barstow. Elam Tilden, son of John, was a prominent resident
of that portion set off to form the town of New Lebanon. The list of town officers and other details further on
give the names of other settles who were prominent in the development of this section of the county.
On the 5th of May, 1772, King's district was organized, pursuant to an Act made and passed by his Excellency the
Governor, the Council and the General Assembly of the Province of New York, bearing date March 24, 1772."
The first meeting of the electors was held at the house of Grixson Frisbie, at which the following officers were
elected: William B. Whiting, supervisor; Martin Beebe, clerk; Daniel Buck, collector; Martin Hawley, William Jarvis,
Philip Frisbie, constables; Daniel Lovejoy, Jarvis Mudge, poormasters; Aaron Kellogg, Eleazer Phinney, fenceviewers;
Ebenezer Cady, Elijah Gifford, poundmasters; Jarvis Mudge, Elnathan Griffith, Samuel Wheeler, Joseph Wood, David
Wright, jr., William Warner, John Beebe, Ebenezer Cady, Nathaniel Culver and John Blair, tithingmen.
In the first book of the town records is a memorandum, without date or signature, stating that "the town records
were kept on loose paper previous to 1772, not probably but a few years. The deed from the Indians for 6 mi. sq.
was executed in 1758. The compensation was £250, that being paid for the 6 mi. sq."
At a meeting of the inhabitants of King's District, held June 24, 1776, for the purpose of choosing a delegate
to the Provincial Congress, it was voted to recommend to that body the passage of a declaration of independence.
A committee was appointed to prepare a memorial making such recommendation to the Congress, which was composed
of William B. Whiting, Asa Waterman, Philip Frisbie, Martin Beebe, Elisha Pratt, Capt. Baldwin, Daniel Buck, Elijah
Bostwick, Gideon King, Jarvis Mudge, Samuel Johnson, Samuel Gillett, L. A. Herrick, Joseph Wood, John Woodworth
and Samuel Bailey.
The early records of King's district are replete with proceedings of meetings relative to the adoption of a new
form of State government and the town's representation therein. Memorials, petitions and remonstrances were the
order of the day, until the matter was finally settled in 1778 in favor of the constitution placed before the people
for their approval or rejection.
There was a strong Tory element in the district, and while not preponderating, it was sufficiently large to keep
active and alert the opponents of Great Britain. During the Revolution many of the loyalists left the district
to join the British, while others remained at home to aid the invaders in every possible way. Neighbor suspected
neighbor, and bitterness and enmity were engendered that the treaty of peace failed to remove. "That the Representatives
for the County of Albany in General Assembly be instructed to use their most vigorous exertions to have a confiscation
bill immediately passed, on all the estates of those persons who are inimical to the American States."
Six months later the Legislature was memorialized regarding the confiscated lands to the effect that "the
petitioners did at the commencement of these struggles, on solid principles, enter into them with a fixed and firm
determination to defend our fortunes, rights and privileges, both civil and religious, and that we have risked
our all to this end, and that we have not shrunk back from the terrible armaments of Great Britain. That a great
number of those parasites, who stimulated and aided Great Britain, murdering many innocent people, and who are
now with the instruments of death actually stabbing us to the vitals, upon joining our powerful and haughty foe,
they left with us lands and property which are an actual prize, and which the representatives have an undoubted
right to dispose of, and which if not done would bankrupt those who had espoused the American cause. And those
butchers who are now cutting our throats with a treaty of peace with England, will be restored to their forfeited
estates, if they are not sold before that period arrives, and they become our rulers, and by that means have it
in their power to legally murder all those who have opposed them. In which case it may be justly said, ' we are
our own executioners.' "
The petition concludes that prudence and the common welfare would dictate the sale of the property, while it is
yet within the power of the representatives to make such a disposition of it.
Again in 1783 the people expressed themselves regarding the Tories and their property as follows:
"Voted, unanimously, that we will support to the extent of our ability the laws of this State which have been
passed against those persons who have borne arms against this or either of the thirteen United States of America,
any time since the Declaration of Independence, except those persons who have already received pardon from former
"Voted, that no person who has borne arms against the said States, being a resident of, or in, America at
the commencement of the said war, shall return, on any pretext whatever, to reap the advantages of Independence;
and all property confiscated by law doth of right belong to said States.
"Voted, that no such person as aforesaid shall ever hereafter have any residence in this District, and that
the members of the Assembly be instructed about the disposition of the inhabitants of said District respecting
On March 7, 1788, the name was changed to Canaan, the boundaries remaining the same until 1793. In that year proposals
to divide the town were made and met with strong opposition. Nevertheless in 1795 a large part of Chatham was taken
off. Again in 1818, against loud protests, a part of Austerlitz was shorn from its territory, and later in the
same year New Lebanon was added to the subtracted territory, leaving Canaan with its present area of 20,770 acres.
In 1776 forty two pathmasters were appointed, evidence that attention was paid to the improvement of the highways.
In order that the record of the names of early residents may be preserved as far possible, the list of these men
Ebenezer Benjamin, Aaron Buck, Aaron Calluck, Israel Osborne, Grixson Frisbie, Josiah Warner, Ebenezer Cady, Lodiah
Moore, Dudley Adams, Daniel Thurston, Asa Preston, Gideon Skinner, Daniel Rowley, Nehemiah Fitch, Asa Douglas,
Solomon Denon, Abraham Vanderpoel, Ezra Allen, Elijah Hudson, John Stranahan, Jacob Vosburgh, Asa Doty, Jacob Brooker,
Simon Lathrop, Isaac Soul, Elijah Skinner, Samuel Davis, Asahel Salmon, Solomon Barker, Joseph Mudge, Elisha Gilbert,
Zebulon Andrews, Jacob Farrington, Thomas Bentley, Peter Goose, Solomon Finch, John Smith, Joshua Green, Isaac
Buttolph, Titus Tolas, Jonathan Culver and Thomas Beebe.
There has been considerable manufacturing in Canaan in years past. Those necessary adjuncts to a new settlement
a hundred years ago, saw mills and wool carding machines, were quite numerous. A few grist mills were operated
before the Revolution, the most important of these being that of Col. William B. Whitney at Queechy. While the
colonel was absent in the army some of his Tory neighbors set fire to his mill, totally destroying it with a large
quantity of grain belonging to the government. Another mill was erected on the site, which was used until the middle
of the present century. Colonel Whitney also carried on an oil mill, which was later converted into a plaster mill.
Early in the century a satinet factory was operated west of Canaan Four Corners. It was succeeded by a small paper
At Queechy Daniel Haight established a factory for the manufacture of satinets and woolen goods in 1830, and for
a time did an extensive business. It was finally occupied by the Queechy Paper Company for the manufacture of wrapping
paper, and now under the proprietorship of Drowne & Co., is used for making straw cigarette paper. Extensive
repairs and improvements were made in the summer of 1900. Farther down the same stream on the site of an early
saw mill was at one time a feed mill, and near by a fertilizer factory (now unoccupied), and a paper mill which
was burned. Near Queechy an extensive lumber mill has been operated for many years, and is now carried on by Amos
The Barnegat paper mill, west of Canaan Four Corners, on the site of a pioneer tannery, began operations in 1860.
It is now (1900) owned by Ephraim Palmer, but is unoccupied.
On a small stream in the southwestern part of the town, at Red Rock and in its vicinity, were a saw mill owned
by D. Wilcox, a grist mill by H. Fowler, and a wadding factory carried on by Hiram Hayes. The wadding mill and
grist mill have been long abandoned; the saw mill and a blacksmith shop are carried on by a man named Stickles.
At an early day a satinet factory was put in operation by Walter and Silvester Arms, which in 1840 was changed
to a grist mill, and is still running, owned by Alexander Lape, who also has a cider mill and distillery for the
manufacture of cider brandy.
There are five post offices in the town, namely: Canaan Four Corners, Canaan Center, Canaan, Flat Brook, and Red
Canaan Four Corners is the largest village in the town, and contains about three hundred inhabitants. It is pleasantly
located in a valley surrounded by high hills, and is the center of considerable trade. The first known merchant
was Elihu Phinney, who came from Otsego county in 1796. Ebenezer Sutherland had a hotel, and also a store, which
is yet used for the same purpose. Reuben Swift was also in trade at an early period, and was the first postmaster
on the establishment of the office in 1812. Other and later merchants have been Philo Blinn, Addison Wait, James
Lockwood, Ira and Jason Johnson, Blunt & Smith, William T. Sherman, A. A. Chapin, and William Rightmyer, who
was burned out in 1895.
The post office was established in 1812 and Reuben Smith was postmaster and had the office in his store. Later
postmasters have been Joseph Cornwell, Asa Cornwell, John Pitts, C. S. Kinney, O. F. Walker, William H. Palmer.
The only physician who is a resident of the town is Dr. M. L. Bates, who has represented the town on the board
of supervisors for many years. Earlier physicians in the town were Drs. Isaac Averill, John Merriman, Thomas Sears,
Lorenzo Gile, and David Leavenworth at the Four Corners; Dr. John Lusk, at Flat Brook ; and Dr. Joseph Bates, who
removed to Lebanon Springs.
The village is well supplied with good hotels and has some note as a quiet summering place. The Leavenworth House
was kept many years by Edward W. Leavenworth, followed by E. E. Walker; the present proprietor is A. Rock. The
Walker House established in 1890 by E. E. Walker, is still kept by him. The Rubicon is a summer boarding house
kept by Hiram Johnson, and another large house of the same character is carried on by Mrs. Ouackenboss and her
daughter, Mrs Berry.
C. A. Van Deusen is the only lawyer in the village.
The village of Queechy, a pleasant hamlet, is situated near the outlet of the lake of the same name. Henry A, Brown
at one time carried on a mercantile business here, and had an extensive trade. The railroad, however, has diverted
much of this business to other points. Some manufacturing has always been done here, but of late years it has been
confined to the industries already mentioned.
In the eastern part of the town is Flat Brook, which has Edwards for its railroad outlet, a half mile distant.
The earliest store here was kept by William Lusk ; James Lusk succeeded him as early as 1797 and continued until
soon after 1800, when Uriah Edwards took the business which he carried on for thirty six years. Stores were kept
also by Peter Van Vleck and William Woodworth, and William Lusk was an innkeeper. The location was settled mainly
by the Curtis, Lusk, Dean, Olmstead, Smith and Townsend families. In 1830 the post office was established and William
Woodworth was made postmaster; the present incumbent is C. P. Woodworth. In 1895 a steam flouring mill was established
here, but after two years operation it proved unprofitable and was abandoned, There are no business concerns, apart
from the usual shops for the convenience of the surrounding farmers.
Canaan Center is a modest hamlet on the turnpike, where in early days considerable business was done, and the town
meetings were held. It was also the assembling point for the Committee of Safety. Jonathan Warner kept a store
here in the house now occupied by Cyril Cadalzo. It has no business of importance. Elmore Brenton is the postmaster.
Canaan, which was the first post office located in the town about 1810, is situated on the turnpike, or old post
road, and is but a small village, composed chiefly of retired farmers. The pioneer store was carried on by Harry
Holdridge, and his successors were John Frisbie, Jesse D. Flint, and for twenty seven years Samuel Frisbie, who
was a very prominent man, and was postmaster nearly fifty years. Members of the Van Alstyne family were tavern
keepers for forty or more years. Near this hamlet is the Ford slate quarry, which is no longer operated. In the
building where Samuel Frisbie was so long in business, Frank Frisbie now keeps a good store, and is the postmaster.
The place was formerly known as Frisbie Street, from the various families of this name living in the vicinity.
Red Rock is a scattered settlement along the creek in the southwestern part of the town. Daniel G. Thorpe, J. W.
Vincent, Cyprian Powell and James J. Powell were merchants here. The only store now carried on is kept by James
Powell, who succeeded Cyprian Powell, his brother, who followed James J. Powell. James Powell is postmaster. The
creek has furnished water power for several mills in past days, but apart from a saw mill now run by Mr. Stickles,
none is in operation. A few shops are carried on.
As already shown the town is largely an agricultural district. The soil is generally fertile, much of it a gravelly
or slaty loam, with a mixture of clay in many localities, and the slopes of the hills are mostly tillable. Mixed
farming, the growing of the ordinary grains and vegetables, has been followed from the beginning of settlement.
Among the leading farmers living in the town at the present time are Frederick Tanner, Andrew Behm, Mrs. Carrie
P. Williams, S. B. Hamilton, Samuel Gifford, A. R. Vandebogart, Michael Gilmartin (on the old Ed. Kellogg place),
C. F. and C. A. Schilling, Ashley B. Howes (many years town clerk), Ellis, Irving and Rollo T. Ford, Hunting Sherrill,
Frank Frisbee, George Blinn, William Cady, William H. Palmer (postmaster and supervisor).
In the northwestern part of the town there are settlements of Shakers, whose landed possessions exceed 1,400 acres.
Their chief employment is farming and the raising of seeds, also the manufacture of a few household utensils.
There were schools in this town as early as the Revolution and perhaps earlier. The earliest existing record shows
that in 1795 the supervisors levied a tax of £497 8s. 6d. for the support of the schools. In 1820 there were
fifteen districts in the town, and 619 children of school age. The amount paid to teachers that year was $306.
In 1860 the number of districts had been reduced to ten, while the number of children had increased to 631. According
to the report of the superintendent of public instruction, there were in 1898, seven districts with school houses
in each, and only 241 children attending school, who were taught by nine teachers. The value of the school property
was $5,740, and the assessed valuation of the districts was $782,650. The public money apportioned to this town
was $1,035,44, and in addition to this, there was raised by tax for the support of the schools $2,895,93.
The First Congregational Church of Canaan, located at Canaan Four Corners, was probably organized as early as 1772.
The loss of its early records renders it impossible to give the details of its organization. Previous to the close
of the Revolution Rev. John Camp was pastor of the church, which relation he sustained until 1791; from that time
the pulpit was supplied until 1807, when Rev. Azariah Clark assumed the duties and served until 1830. About this
time a portion of the membership withdrew to form the "Presbyterian Church of Canaan." In 1831 Rev. Cyrus
Hudson was installed and was succeeded in 1831 by Rev. Joseph Baldwin, and he in 1838 by Rev. J. Jay, who remained
ten years. In 1818 Rev. John Wicks was installed and closed his service in 1856. For more than twenty years the
church was ministered to by supplies. The present pastor is Rev. E C. Hodges, who also supplies the pulpit at Canaan
Center. It is believed that the first meeting house was built about 1785. This house was abandoned in 1829, and
a new structure erected.
The Flat Brook Baptist Church building is said to have been erected in 1776. However this may be, the church society
was not formally organized until the fall of 1793. Rev. Elijah Barnes was the first minister, and served from 1795
to 1806. For nine years the church was supplied, when Rev. Nathaniel Otis began a service of five years, succeeded
by Rev. Ira Hall for seven years. Several short pastorates followed and in 1858 Rev. S. Pomroy came to the church,
remaining until 1871. Since his time among the ministers have been Revs. A. W. Ashley, J. W. Starkweather, and
at present Rev, Mr. Messinger, of the church at East Chatham, preaches a part of the time. The present meeting
house was built in 1830 and repaired in 1870.
The Canaan Methodist Episcopal Church society was formed in 1828, a building committee appointed, and the following
year a modest building was erected at a cost of $1,500, a short distance east of Queechy. It was thoroughly repaired
and improved during the seventies.
The First Presbyterian Church of Canaan was formed by a division of the old Congregational Church in 1829, with
fifty seven members. A church building was erected at Canaan Center in 1829, and in 1830 Rev. Caleb Tracy was installed
as the first pastor. In 1837 he was succeeded by Rev. Samuel J. Tracy, and he two years later by Rev. Brainerd
Kenley, who served until 1850. Among the pastors since that date have been Revs. T. S. Brown, W. J. Belain, J.
Whiting, L. W. Curtis and George W. Warner. At present the church is ministered to by Rev. E. C. Hodges, the pastor
of the Congregational church at the Four Corners.
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church of Canaan was organized in 1829. A house of worship was erected soon after,
and is still in use. It is ministered to by pastors from the East Chatham church.
The Christian Church of Canaan was organized in 1829, and the following year a house of worship was built in the
eastern limits of Red Rock village. The meeting house has been improved and is now a neat structure.
The population of Canaan, as given in the census reports, from 1825 to 1892, has been as follows: 1825, 3,048;
1830, 2,064; 1835, 2,042; 1840, 1,957; 1845, 1,973; 1850, 1,941; 1855, 1,946; 1860, 2,193; 1865, 2,000; 1870, 1,877;
1875, 1702; 1880, 1,654; 1890, 1,561; 1892, 1,562.
The succession of supervisors of Canaan is as follows:
1773. W. B. Whiting.
1774-75. Martin Bebee.
1776. Philip Frisbie.
1777-80. Mathew Adgate.
1781-82. Martin Bebee.
1783. Philip Frisbie.
1784-86. William Powers.
1787-88. Mathew Adgate.
1789-90. William Powers.
1791. Jonathan Warner.
1792. Elisha Gilbert.
1793-94. Patrick Hamilton.
1795. Aaron Kellogg.
1796. Elihu Gilbert.
1797. Benjamin Tobey.
1798-99. Eleazer Grant.
1800. William Aylesworth.
1801. Jonathan Warner.
1802-05. John Whiting.
1806-08. John King.
1809-10. Jason Warner.
1811-13. Daniel Warner.
1814. Peter Van Vleck.
1815-17. Daniel Warner.
1818. Elam Tilden.
1819. Peter Van Vleck.
1820-23.Samuel A. Curtis.
1824. Daniel Warner.
1825. Allen Barstow.
1826. Henry Warner.
1827. Roswell B. Frisbie.
1828. Moses Bramhall.
1829. Joseph G. Ford.
1830. Moses Bramhall.
1831. Uriah Edwards.
1832. Moses Bramhall.
1833. Daniel S. Curtis.
1834. Calvin Herrick.
1835. James Warner.
1836 . John E. Warner.
1837. Henry C. Barnes.
1838. Hiram D. Ford.
1839. William A. Lord.
1840 -41. John E. Warner.
1842. Robert Reynolds.
1843. Daniel D. Barnes.
1844. Lorenzo D. Ford.
1845. Moses Bramhall.
1846. Henry H. Brown.
1847. Alva Frisbie.
1848. Daniel D. Barnes.
1849. Samuel A. Barstow.
1850. Lorenzo Gile.
1851. Samuel A. Barstow.
1852. Russel Cady.
1853. Chester Brown.
1854. Samuel A. Barstow.
1855. Henry J. Whiting.
1856. Samuel A. Barstow.
1857. Lorenzo Gile.
1858. Daniel S. Curtis.
1859. John J. Vanderburgh.
1860. George T. Howes.
1861. Samuel A. Curtis.
1862. Joseph C. Ford.
1863. Jason H. Johnson.
1864. Daniel W. Curtis.
1865. Lorenzo Gile.
1866-67. LeRoy L. Brown.
1868. Joseph R. Hemingway.
1869. George T. Howes.
1870. Robert Reynolds.
1871. John M. Barnes.
1872-74. Lorenzo Gile. (Resigned;
Henry J. Whiting filling vacancy.
1875. LeRoy L. Brown.
1876-78. Charles W. Havens.
1879-92. Milford L. Bates.
1893-1900. William H. Palmer.
The town clerks of Canaan have been the following:
1773-75 Abraham Holmes.
1776-77. Barrett Dyer.
1778-85 Ezra Murray.
1786-91. Jonathan Warner.
1792-95. Elihu Phinney.
1796. Nathan Noyes.
1797-1805. Jason Warner.
1806 07. Elias Warner.
1808-09. Reuben Smith.
1810. Nathan Whiting.
1811-13. John Hamilton.
1814-15. Jason Warner.
1816-17. John Hamilton.
1818. Thaddeus Elmore.
1819. John Hamilton.
1820. Thaddeus Elmore.
1821. Daniel Smith, jr.
1822. Thaddeus Elmore.
1823. John Hamilton.
1824. Joseph G. Ford.
1825. John E. Warner.
1826. Chester Beale.
1827. John E. Warner.
1828. Jonathan O. Allen.
1829. William W. Janes.
1830. Isaac S. Gifford.
1831. Lewis N. Hall.
1832. William W. Janes.
1833. Richard H. Ashley.
1834. William W. Janes.
1835. David Parsons.
1836. Lorenzo D. Ford.
1837. Joseph C. Ford.
1838. John E. Warner.
1839. Daniel D. Barnes.
1840. John C. Clark.
1841-43. Henry C. Jewell.
1844. Edward Kellogg.
1845. David Ford, jr.
1846-47. Philo B. Blinn.
1848. George W. Lovejoy.
1849. Aaron Kellogg.
1850. Asa D. Cornwall.
1851. George W. Lovejoy.
1852. LeRoy L Brown.
1853. Daniel D. Warner.
1854. Asa S. Bates.
1855-56. George W. Frary.
1857-58. George W. Lovejoy.
1859. Valentine J. Wilcox.
1860-63. Asa S. Bates.
1864. William S. Woolworth.
1865-75. Asa S. Bates.
1876. George O. Wilcox.
1877-78. Asa S. Bates.
1880. Allen C. Smith.
1881-95. Ashley B. Howes.
1896-1900. H. D. Frisbie.