PRINCIPAL SECRET ORDERS IN COLUMBIA COUNTY.
The old and honorable Order of Free and Accepted Masons has had a long existence in Columbia county and has
numbered among its officers and members many of the eminent men whose names have appeared in past pages of this
work. Its first lodge was instituted among the earliest in the State and still keeps its existence; moreover, it
was one of the comparative few that retained its charter through the demoralizing crusade of the Anti Mason organization
which for a time shook the order to its foundations.
Hudson Lodge, No. 7, F. & A. M., was instituted under a charter granted in response to a petition to the Grand
Lodge of the State of New York dated December 18, 1786, the signers being as follows: Seth Jenkins, Jared Coffin,
Joseph Hamilton, John McKinstry, John Thurston, John Penoyer, Joseph Olney, Shubael Worth, Isaac Bateman, Thomas
Worth, William Wall, Daniel Gano, Thomas Frothingham, Robert Folger, David Lawrence, Benjamin Chace, Lemuel Jenkins,
and Samuel Mansfield. This petition was presented to the Grand Lodge on March 17, 1787, and the month of May following
a warrant was issued and the first officers were installed at Albany in June, of that year; they were as follows:
Seth Jenkins, W. M.; Jared Coffin, S. W.; David Lawrence, J. W.; Samuel Mansfield, treasurer; Daniel Gano, secretary;
Thomas Frothingham, S. D.; Simeon Stoddard, J. D.; Shuhael Worth, Benjamin Chace, stewards. The first meeting was
held at the house of John McKinstry on December 18, 1786. John McKinstry was the man who was taken prisoner at
the battle of the Cedars in 1776, and whose life was saved by Captain Brant, the Mohawk chief. The lodge adopted
its first bylaws on June 28, 1787, and it was chartered as No. 13, in 1787. The number was changed to 15 in 1823,
to 12 in 1831, and to 7, its present number in 1839 Through the persevering efforts of some of the members, and
particularly of Stephen A. Coffin, the lodge preserved its organization through the Anti Masonic warfare.
In 1795 the Proprietors of Hudson gave to this lodge a lot of land on the southeast corner of Union and Third streets,
for a building site, the conditions of the gift being that the building should be not less than twenty five by
fifty feet in size, that it should be completed within two years, and that it never should be used as a tavern.
The corner stone was laid with imposing Masonic ceremonies on June 12, 1795. At that early date it was considered
a rather imposing structure and well adapted to its purpose. It had four gables, a small cupola in the center of
the roof, a prominent front entrance and two doors at the end. It was named St. John's Hall. On the 4th of July,
1829, it was partially destroyed by fire, but was rebuilt and yet remains the property of the lodge. The first
worshipful master, Seth Jenkins, held the gavel in the East from 1787 to 1790, and was succeeded by the following
down to the present time: Seth Jenkins," Thomas Frothingham,* Samuel Edmonds,* Benjamin Allen,* Daniel Fowler,*
John W. Edmonds,* Thomas Blank,* A. G. Barnard,* Philip White," Campbell Bushnell,* Thomas F. King,* Cyrus
Curtiss,* L. U. Lawrence," E. C. Thurston,* Stephen A. Coffin,* Richard Cacique,* Peter G. Coffin,* Ichabod
Rogers,* Cornelius Bortle,* James Batchellor," George Barker,* William A. Carpenter," George C. Tolley,*
Cornelius Esselstyn,* Frederick M. Best,* Almon Snyder, Edward P. Magoun, D. D. G. M., Henry Kertz, Aaron Colton,'
Richard Kidney," Samuel G. Rowles, D. D, G. M., Frank T. Punderson, George G. Miller, D. D. G. M., Burgess
Speed, H. Augustus Hallenbeck, Morris Van DeBogart, Ruluf Neefus, Wessel Ten Broeck.
The officers of this lodge for 1900 are as follows: Wessel Ten Broeck, W. M.; Alonzo M. Briggs, S. W.; Clayton
J. Hermance, J. W.; Fayette A. Stupplebeen, treasurer; William A. Merrell, secretary; H. Augustus Hallenbeck, S.
D.; William H. Coons, J. D.; Alburtus Mooney, S. M. C.; Philip Mossman, J. M. C.; Ruluf Neefus, chaplain; Henry
Kertz, marshal; Barnard M. Chase, organist; Mason I. Crocker, tyler.
On petition of Hudson Lodge a warrant was issued by the Grand Lodge of the State of New York for the institution
of a lodge in June, 1807, to be known as St. Tammany Lodge. The wacant was under date of December 2, 1807. After
a brief struggle for existence this lodge surrendered its charter to the Grand Lodge on September 6, 1809, without
leaving a record of its labors that is now accessible.
Aquila Lodge No. 700 is the offspring of Hudson Lodge No. 7, and the dispensation under which it worked was granted
by M. W. James Gibson, grand master of Masons in the State of New York, on March 1, 1870. The first meeting under
this dispensation was held March 14, 1870, in St. John's Hall. On the 27th of July, of that year, the lodge was
duly instituted and the following officers were publicly installed: Cornelius Bortle, W. M.; Cornelius Esseistyn,
S. W.; John T. Burdwin, J. W.; Leonard Geiger, treasurer; Edgar Remington, secretary; Ezra V. Byrne, S. D.; Charles
Malcher, J. D. The officers for 1900 are as follows:
Elbert Payne, W. M.; George A. Hodge, S. W.; Fred R. Townsend, 3. W.; Peter Lahr, treasurer; J. P. Becidge, secretary;
George A. Holsapple, S. D.; R. C. Payne, C. H. Evans, Charles Ellsworth, trustees; Christian Miller, J. D.; William
R. Reid, S. M. C.; S. N. Hob sapple, J. M. C.; J. C. Armstrong, chaplain; B. M. Chase, organist; R. A. Aitkin,
chorister; Thomas Killmer, marshal; Mason I. Crocker, tyler.
Following is a complete list of the past masters of this lodge, from the date of its organization to the present
time: Cornelius Bortle (deceased); H. Lyle Smith, John H. Chariot, Jr. (deceased); John V. Whitbeek, A. Frank B.
Chace, William Bostwick, Abram J. Gifford (dimitted), Nelson F. Boucher, William H. Scovill, Franklin Harder, Charles
F. T. Beale, Cortez L. Buckman, Samuel Melbourne, J. P. Berridge, Elbert Payne.
Hudson Royal Arch Chapter No. 6 was organized in 1798, a petition having been presented and a wacant asked for
from the Deputy Grand Chapter, presided over by De Witt Clinton as deputy grand high priest. He was the first grand
high priest of the State of New York and was installed as such by Thomas Frothingham, of Hudson Lodge. The warrant
for the chapter was dated March 14, 1798. The first officers were Samuel Edmonds, M. E. H. P.; Thomas Frothingham,
E. king; Elisha Jenkins, E. scribe. Among the past high priests were such men as James BatBatellellorohn Hamlin,
Cornelius Bortle, Harlow H. Crandall, Theodore Snyder, John Alger, George Barker, Thomas Borden, and others.
The officers for 1900 are as follows: Frederick C. Gorham, E. H. P.; Victor J. Rose, king; Emanuel Volk, scribe;
Henry Kertz, treasurer; Edmo Charles Getty, secretary; Peter Lahr, captain of host; James M. Punderson, P. S.;
Charles H. Becker, R. A. captain; Casimir N. Guertin, master third vail; William R. Reid, master second vail; Henry
N. Brown, master first vail; Mason I, Crocker, sentinel; Barnard M. Chase, organist.
The following persons have held the office of high priest of this chapter since 1823: Thomas Blank, Lionel U. Lawrence,
Campbell Bushnell, John Hunt, Thomas King, Edward C. Thurston, Cyrus Curtis, Richard Carrique, James Batchellor,
Ichabod Rogers, John Hamlin, Cornelius Bortle, John Alger, Thomas Borden, Harlow H. Crandall, Theodore Snyder,
Aaron Colton, Richard B. Aldcroftt, Henry Lyle Smith, Abram J. Gifford, Henry Kertz, William H. Scovill, Charles
F. T. Beale, James C. Armstrong, Burgess Speed, Richard A. M. Deeley, Peter Lahr, William Hawkes, Frederick C.
About the year 1824 a Council in Hudson was granted a wacant, but after a brief period of labor, of which no known
record is in existence, its warrant was sucendered and this branch of the order remained dormant until 1872, when
a wacant was issued to eight companions from the Royal Arch Chapter No. 6, by the Grand Council of the State of
New York, and Hudson Council No. 62, of Royal and Select Masters, was instituted in May with the following officers:
Dr. H. Lyle Smith, thrice illustrious master; C. H. Evans, R. I. D. M.; R. Kidney, I. P. C. W.; J. H. Charlot,
captain of guards; J. M. Van Buren, Ill. Con. Council; J. C. Dubois, treasurer; A. Bush, recorder; H. R. Payne,
steward; John Mack, sentinel. In 1881 this council virtually surrendered its charter by reason of not holding assemblies.
In February, 1885, on application of Past Thrice Illustrious William H. Scovil, the wacant was restored and labor
resumed. It has since become extinct.
Upon the petition of Lionel U. Lawrence and others, a warrant was granted by the Grand Encampment of the State
of New York for an encampment to be known as La Fayette Encampment No. 7 of Knights Templar, on the 6th of September,
1806. The first conclave was held on October 16, 1806, at which were present Sir Knights Lionel U. Lawrence, Orrin
E. Osborn, Gordon Dickson, Richard Carrique, Obed W. Folger, Richard Hill, and Samuel Corbett. The first officers
were installed on October 25, 1806 The encampment prospered until 1812, when for eleven years no conclaves were
held; but upon the prayer of Sir Knights Lionel U. Lawrence, Cyrus Curtis, Elihu Gifford, Richard Carrique, Peter
Van Deusen, Orrin E. Osborn, Gordon Dickson, George Duckworth, John B, Livingston, Frederick I. Curtis, and Hiram
Reynolds, a dispensation was granted April 5, 1823, to revive La Fayette Encampment No. 7, by Richard Ellis, deputy
grand master. The wacant was revived June 4 of the year named. In 1839 the word cornmandery was substituted in
place of encampment by an act of the Grand Commandery. Eminent Sir Lionel U. Lawrence was the first eminent commander
and held the position from the beginning to 1812. At the time of the restoration of the warrant in 1823, he was
again chosen eminent commander. Succeeding him the following have held this position: Cyrus Curtis, Lionel U. Lawrence,
Richard Carrique, Ichabod Rogers, James Batchellor, Cornelius Esselstyn, Aaron Colton, William R. Elting, Edward
P. Magonn, John H. Vosburgh, Cornelius H. Evans, Edward L. Gaul, James C. Armstrong, Philip Seib, William S. Hallenbeck,
Charles F. T. Beale, Robert Selden, William S. Wattles, Richard A. M. Deeley, Richard C. Payne.
The officers of the commandery for the year 1900 are as follows: Richard C. Payne, eminent commander; Richard A.
Aitkin, generalissimo; William C. Bannon, captain general; Peter Lahr, treasurer; Edmo Charles Getty, recorder;
Charles S. Rogers, prelate; Cornelius Evans, jr., senior warden; Fayette A. Stupplebeen, junior warden; Hugh McCullough,
standard bearer; Samuel L. Honeyford, sword bearer; William S. Hallenbeck, warden; Franklin Kline, third guard;
Robert Elting, second guard; Charles F. Ellsworth, first guard; Robert W. Evans, sentinel; Barnard M. Chase, organist.
The Masonic Club, of Hudson, was organized January 14, 1899, with the following officers: Robert W. Evans, president;
Wessel Ten Broeck, vice president; J. P. Berridge, secretary and treasurer; R. W. Evans, J. Frank Kertz, Charles
E. Kelley, H. S. Moul, and C. N. Guertin, executive committee. The following are honorary members of the club:
R. W. E. M. L. Ehlers, R. W. G. H. Sherman, R. W. Sanford W. Smith, R. W, W. D. Pownel, W. Decick Brown, W. Almon
Snyder, Harper W. Rogers, John T. Burdwin, A. V. S. Cochrane, R. W. James Ten Eyck, R. W. Charles W. Mead, R. W.
W. A. Southerland, R. W. John W. Vroman, R. W. Charles E. Schou, Levi F. Longley, Horace Payne, Robert Moores,
A. M. Taylor. The club was organized chiefly for social purposes and for the promotion of brotherly intercourse
among the members. A reading room and other attractions have been provided for the club quarters.
The Masonic Hall Association, Hudson, was incorporated in 1897, the officers for 1900 being as follows: President,
Charles S. Rogers; vice president, Peter Lahr; treasurer, Ruluf Neefns; secretary, Richard A. M. Deeley. There
is an Associate Board of Trustees composed of the following persons: George G. Miller, F. A. Stupplebeen of Hudson
Lodge No. 7; John P. Berridge, C. L. Buckman of Aquila Lodge No. 700; Henry Kertz, J. C. Armstrong, of Hudson Chapter
No. 6; Richard C. Payne, Charles N. Traver, of La Fayette Commandery No. 7.
There are only a few Masonic lodges in the county outside of Hudson city, the oldest of which was the predecessor
of the present Columbia Lodge No. 98, of Chatham. Canaan Lodge No, 44, F. & A M., was instituted at New Concord,
March 26, 1796. Among the petitioners for the charter were John Noyes, Alexander Smith, Palmer Cady, Nathan Noyes,
Patrick Hamilton, John Stranahan, Gershom Babcock, Eleazer Davis, Silas Pratt, Joseph Kellogg, L. Stone, M. Butler,
Amasa Adams, H. Hobart, Jonathan Ball, F. Lusk, Peter Savage, John Camp, Samuel Anable, Hezekiah Hulbert, Zebulon
Douglas, and Benjamin Lord. This lodge ceased work in 1827. Charity Lodge No. 92 was organized at Spencertown in
1808, and had a flourishing existence until the Anti Masonic trouble, when it went down. The remaining interests
of these lodges were united in 1844, in the formation of Eureka Lodge at Chatham Four Corners. This lodge gave
place in 1851 to the present Columbia Lodge No. 98, in which the charter members were Samuel P. Lee, John H. Mesick,
Hacy S. Clark, Richard C. Tobias, Samuel Marshall, David H. Cornell, Thomas Everett, Elijah Payn, Charles B. Dutcher,
and Albert Brown. The first initiation in this lodge was that of Hugh W. McClellan, on September 25, 1851. Since
1873 the meetings have been held in a hall which is richly fitted up. The present officers are as follows:
Master, Henry J. Baringer; S. W., David H. Gage, jr.; J. W., Hugh McC. Potter; treasurer, John W. Boright; secretary,
W. Porter Darrow; S. D., Frank H. Wood; J. D., Charles B. Hatfield; chaplain, Rev. D. McCartney; marshal, J. C.
Carpenter; S. M. C., Reuben W. Seymour; J. M. C., Charles M. Warren; tyler, Andrew Rifenburgh; organist, Homer
Following is a list of the past masters of this lodge:
Samuel P. Lee, David G. Woodin, Samuel P. Lee, Hugh McClellan, David G. Woodin, Abram Ashley, jr., Hiram D. Ford,
John Cadman, James T. Shufelt, John Cadman, Charles A. Belden, Hiram D. Ford, Charles M. Burrows, William C. Daley,
John W, Boright, Wright H. Barnes, Simeon R. Hatfield, Milford L. Bates, Charles H. Bell, James E. Traver, William
C. Daley, Pecy C. Miller, Azro C. Haynor, William S. Higgins, Calvin D. Hicok, Philip W. Mull, Henry W. Niles.
Enos C. Montross, Sanford W. Smith.
Charity Chapter No. 47, Order of the Eastern Star, was instituted at Chatham village on March 1, 1876, with the
following original members: Abram Ashley, W. H. Barnes, C. M. Burrows, W. C. Daley, C. H. Bell, J. W. Boright,
Henrietta Barnes, Eliza F. Burrows, Phoeba M. Burrows, Eva A. Drumm, Sarah Wentworth, Mattie C. Fellows, and Abbie
The Masonic Building Company of Chatham Village was formed October 7, 1882, with the following trustees: E. M.
Thomas, John W. Boright, John B. Traver, Wright H. Barnes, C. M. Burrows, Abram Ashley, jr., John Cadman, and H.
W. McClellan. The capital stock was $15,000. H. W. McClellan and Isaac Son were appointed a building committee
and in the following year a fine brick block was erected in the central part of the village, at a cost of $18,000.
The two lower floors were occupied by stores and offices and the whole upper floor as a Masonic Hall.
Valatie Lodge No. 362, F. & A. M., received a charter from the Grand Lodge dated June 22, 1855, and elected
the following first officers: Jesse C. Vanderpoel, W. M.; Jacob M. Whitbeck, S. W.; Jacob P. Miller, J. W. The
lodge has maintained an active and prosperous existence to the present time. The officers for 1900 are as follows:
Joseph Hapeman, W. M.; George S. Becker, S. W.; Edward Riesdorph, J. W.; W. L. Milliard, treasurer; Wilson Miller,
secretary, J. E. Cochrane, S. D.; L. F. Fowler, J. D.; 15. S. Graves, chaplain; E. Riesdorpla, organist; C. E.
Pachman, S. M. C.; Frank S. Hoag, J. M. C.; M. W. Lant, tyler.
Kinderhook Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, was instituted under a dispensation granted in 1872 and chartered in February,
1873, with eleven members. The first principal officers were W. S. Hallenbeck, H. P.; James Green, K.; John A.
Van Bramer, secretary. The chapter has prospered and now has a large membership with the following officers for
1900: George W. Wilkins, E. H. P.; John A. Trimper, K.; William Heeney, S.; Franklin B. Van Alstyne, treasurer;
William A. Roraback, secretary; James D. Yager, C. H.; George H. Brown, P. S.; Edward Riesdorph, R. A. C.; John
Birckmayer, M. 3d V.; John E. Furber, M. 2d V.; Frank S. Hoag, M. 1st V.; Cornelius M. Van Valkenhurgh, sentinel.
The Masonic order established a lodge in Hillsdale previous to the beginning of the century, but the exact date
is not now known. Its name was Mount Vernon Lodge and it continued an active existence until the Anti Mason conflict
overran the country. Among its prominent members were John B. Sharts, Samuel Judson, Artemns Johnson, John Collin,
Joel Blackman, David Persons, Thaddeus Reed, John Pixley, James Bryan, and others. At a later date Friendship Lodge
No. 125 was instituted in this town with seven members; the first officers were as follows: David G. Woodin, master;
Samuel Judson, S. W.; Jefferson B. Bingham, J. W.; James W. White, secretary; Alfred G. Bidwell, treasurer; Philip
Becker, S. D.; John P. Sharts, J. D. Henry Collin was the first initiate in this lodge, and other prominent members
were Richard H. Bartlett, Allen Sweet, John Miller, and Frelin Van Deusen. The masters were Philip Becker, Henry
A. Collin, and William Elton. The lodge met at Hillsdale for a time and flourished to a marked degree. The place
of meeting was changed to Copake for a few years, but it returned to Hillsdale and met with fair success for a
period, sucendering its charter in 1858. Hillsdale Lodge No. 612 was instituted in 1867, but had worked under dispensation
a few months prior to that date. The first officers were Philip Becker, M.; David C. Baird, S. W.; Martin J. Wagner,
J. W.; Eliphalet Dimmick, secretary; John B. Sharts, treasurer; Samuel Judson, S. D.; Walter Shaver, J. D. The
past masters of the lodge have been Philip Becker, jr., George M. Bullock, Charles M. Bell, Platt Rodgers, Gilbert
A. Dean, George Tremain, R. L. Cannon, S. D. Zeh, H. W. Johnson. The officers of the lodge for 1900 are as follows:
J. Donald Bell, M.; Harvey P. Sweet, S. W.; Howard N. Cornell, J. W.; Edwin Baker, S. D.; William H. Collins, J.
D.; A. L. Overhiser, S. M. C.; Quincy Johnson, J. M. C.; R. L. Cannon, secretary; Hiram W. Johnson, treasurer;
James Vosburgh, tyler; Seneca D. Zeh, Joel G. Curtis and George Remain, trustees; A. L. Dakin, marshal; Rev. George
H. Chesborough, chaplin.
Unity Lodge No. 9, F. & A. M., was instituted at New Lebanon in 1788. The application for a warrant bears
the names of Eleazer Grant, John Darling, Elihu Phinney, John Noyes, William Powers, John W. Schermerhorn, James
Wylie, Nathan Hand, Samuel Wheeler, Daniel Green, William Johnson, and Ephraim Hunt. The warrant, which was issued
September 18, 1788, designates Eleazer Grant as W. M.; John Darling, S. W.; Elihu Phinney, J. W. At that time Robert
Livingston was grand master of the Grand Lodge of the State of New York, and Hudson and Albany had the neighboring
lodges. To the northward there was no lodge nearer than Montreal. The master and senior warden were installed at
Albany in December, and on the Ed of February, 1789, at a meeting held in the house of Casparus Hewson, Elisha
Gilbert and Lewis and Levi Preston became the first initiates. About the year 1794 an arrangement was made with
Major Elisha Gilbert for the use of a room in his house, which he was then building, for lodge purposes; this was
used many years and the lodge had wide repute for its enthusiasm and good cheer. As early as 1796 its members numbered
one hundred and fifteen and included most of the prominent citizens of the town. In the fall of 1736 twenty four
members withdrew to form the Canaan Lodge at New Concord, and four years later twelve more left with John W. Schermerhorn
to organize a new lodge at Nassau. In the following year sixteen others withdrew to build up a lodge at Stephentown,
leaving forty five members in Unity Lodge. The masters up to that time were Eleazer Grant, 1788-93: Elihu Phinney,
1794; Ephraim Hunt, 1795; Eleazer Grant, 1796; Nathan Hand, 1797; Elisha Gilbert, 1798-99; Daniel Green, 1800;
Seth Hill, 1801. From this date until the Anti Masonic difficulty the increase in membership was small, and meetings
were held during about ten years only once annually to preserve the organization. In 1844 regular meetings were
resumed, at which date only nine members constituted the lodge; these were Elisha Gilbert, John Bull, jr., John
Murdock, David Harrington, Allen Spencer, Josiah Wait, Charles W. Hull, Elias Gates, and Isaac Salls. Most of these
were old or middle aged men whose faith in Masonry had not wavered, and the subsequent history of this lodge shows
that their confidence was not misplaced. Among its members at some period were men who attained high station in
the order, among them Grand Chaplain Churchill, Grand Master Joseph Enos, Grand King Elisha Gilbert, Grand High
Priest Benjamin Enos, Grand Scribe Ebenezer Wadsworth, and Grand Marshal John Bull. The principal officers for
1900 are as follows: John M. Adams, W. M.; Harrie P. Whitehead, S. W.; A. Ross Rider, J. W.; William E. Merry,
treasurer; Cornelius J. Richmond, secretary; John G. Field, Warren Fowler, and William Morin, trustees; Charles
B. Budlong, S. D.; John E. Kennedy, J. D.; Benoni Sherman, chaplain; Jerome Shears, S. M. of C.; Sanford B. Remenway,
J. M. of C.; William H. McKern, tyler.
Lebanon Chapter of Royal Arch Masons No. 13, at Lebanon Springs, was chartered February 3, 1802, but had worked
under dispensation a short time previous to that date. As early as 1796 persons advanced in Masonic degrees held
meetings as Master Mark Masons, the lodge having had eighty members when the chapter was formed. The first elective
officers of the chapter were Elisha Gilbert, H. P.; John Butler, K.; Samuel F. Jones, S., and the companions were
Daniel Green, Joseph Enos, Zenas Barker, Silas Churchill, Seth Hill, and Zalmon Skinner. The Anti Masonic trouble
caused the chapter to suspend meetings from 1827 to 1840. An effort to revive the chapter was not immediately successful
and it was not until February 5, 1852, that the Grand Chapter authorized such a movement and appointed Josiah Waite,
H. P.; Henry Hull, K.; and Charles W. Hull, S. Many prominent members of the order now joined the chapter and interesting
meetings were thereafter held in Masonic Hall.
The officers of the chapter for 1900 are as follows: John S. Field, E. H. P.; Thomas J. Cleland, K.; Arthur C.
Cavanaugh, S.; Joseph K. Royce, treasurer; Cornelius J. Richmond, secretary; William A. Morin, C. of H.; Joseph
K. Royce, P. S.; Josiah R. Davis, R. A. C.; Amos H. Peabody, M, of 3d V.; David W. Kilmer, M. of 2d V.; Nelson
P. Strong, M. of 1st V.; William H. McKern, sentinel.
Lindenwold Lodge No. 509, F. & A. M., of Stuyvesant Falls, was instituted about 1860. The first officers were
John W. Carhart, W. M., and E. M. Coventry, secretary. It has a good membership, has a well appointed hall, and
is in a thriving condition. The following is a list of the officers for 1900: George M. Pulver, W. M.; Alfred R.
Ostrom, S. W.; Charles George, J. W.; Henry Knitt, treasurer; Arthur T. Bennett, secretary; Victor A. Frisbee,
S. D.; John H. Dingman, J. D.; Francis J. Harder, S. M. C.; William Delamater, J. M. C.; Felton Cranse, chaplain;
Christopher A. Peterson, marshal; William H. Granger, tyler.
The first lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was instituted in Hudson in 1828 and was named the Good
Intent Lodge; it was located in that part of the city which is now included in Stockport. Data for a history of
this organization has not been obtained.
Hudson City Lodge No. 142 was instituted in Hudson, August 9, 1894, with the following charter members: M. W. Leland,
Abraham G. Vosburgh, Silas W. Tobey, Henry Miller, William H. Coons, Morgan H. Chrysler, William I. Traver, John
Crapser, William H. Crapser, Edward Crossman, Charles Mitchell, John H. Charlot. The first officers were, Abraham
G. Vosburgh, N. G.; Morgan H. Chrysler, V. G.; Edward Crossman, secretary; Charles Mitchell, treasurer; Henry Miller,
P. secretary. Meetings have long been held in Odd Fellows Hall and the lodge is prosperous. The officers for 1900
are as follows: Edgar R. DeWitt, N. G.; Benjamin Ham, V. G.; Edward J. Hodge, S.; Lewis W. Bachman, T.; George
W. Pultz, W.; Charles V. S. Harder, C.; Fred Youngs, chaplain; W. H. Crapser, R. S. to N. G.; Eugene D. Smith,
L. S. to N. G.; Fayette J. Hall, R. S. to V. G.; Saul Wilson, L. S. to V. G.; Alden Miller and Robert J. Miller,
S. S.; Morris Kastenbaum, I. G.; Obed Marshall, O. G.
Allen Lodge, No. 92, I. O. O. F., was instituted August 12, 1843, the first officers elected being M. B. Charlot,
N. G.; M. L. Pultz, V. G.; James Batchellor, secretary; A. Heermance, treasurer. This lodge was merged in Hudson
City No. 142 in 1899.
Lindenwald Lodge No. 442, I. O. O. F., was instituted at Hudson on November 19, 1875, with twenty eight charter
members, as follows:
Edmo Charles Getty (P. G.), Henry W. Race, Depew C. Wildey (P. G.), George C. Byrne, jr. (P. G.), Martin Rowe,
Alexander R. Benson (P. G.), Charles F. Dernell, William L. Shortman, Minard C. Shaver, Jacob Waterman (P. G.),
William E. Hallenbeck, Edward A. Osborne, John B. Longley (P. G.), Ira Rider, Hiram Best (P. G.), Milo P. Moore,
George G. Miller (P. G.), Norman S. Roe, Jay D. Ten Broeck, Frederick Hebener, Dedrick Van Hoesen, William Park,
George B. Sweet, William Rowe, Andrew H. Getty, Richard M. Remington, jr. John Elting, and Christopher M. Mellen.
The first officers were Alexander R. Benson, N. G.; George C. Byrne, jr., V. G.; Depew C. Wildey, secretary; Norman
S. Roe, treasurer. The lodge was merged in Allen No. 92, Hudson,
Union Encampment was instituted at Hudson on July 18, 1844. The first officers were James Batchellor, C. P.; M.
L. Pultz, H. P.; S. A. Coffin, S. W.; William R. Steele, scribe; H. Doty, treasurer; G. Dixon, J. W. This organization
passed out of existence about 1890.
This order flourished many years in Kinderhook, dating back to 1847, when Valatie Lodge No. 115 was instituted
with twenty charter members. The lodge meets in Valatie village. The officers for 1900 are: William Stribeck, of
Kinderhook, N. G.; William Hotaling of Kinderhook, V. G.; Wallace B. Rowe, of Valatie, secretary; Spencer Rockefeller,
of Valatie, treasurer; Frank Rossman, of Valatie, representative to Grand Lodge.
Hope Encampment, of this order, in Kinderhook, was instituted March 7, 1872, with seven members. Thomas Cooke was
elected the first C. P.; Frank Westfall, H. P.; H. W. Pulver, S. W.; L. Harrison, scribe. The meetings were held
in Valatie. The encampment has been extinct many years.
Morning Star Lodge No. 128, I. O. O. F., was instituted at Chatham village, September 23, 1844, with the following
officers: H. Allen, N. G.; S. P. Lee, V. G.; William S. Peak, R. S.; William T. Groat, treasurer. This lodge surrendered
its charter in June, 1883.