BY JOHN S. MINARD.
CUBA WAS created by an act of the legislature of February 4, 1822, and
originally embraced Clarksville and Genesee.* It lies in the west-
ern range of townships, and is the first town south of the center (north
and south) of the county, and is distinguished as "Township 3, Range
2" of the Holland Purchase. Its surface is rough and mountainous, di-
vided into ridges by Oil creek and its tributaries, whose deep and nar-
row valleys are bordered by steep hills, some reaching an altitude of 800
feet above the W. N. Y. & P. Railroad which is here 1,485 feet above tide
water. It is claimed that in this town is found the highest altitude in the
county, on the farm of Wm. McClaughlin in the southeast part. Its soil is
mostly a gravelly loam, in some parts clayey, and generally better adapted
to grazing than grain-raising. The principal drainage is by Oil creek, which
finds the Allegany at Olean, though some of the head waters of White, Black
and Van Campen creeks, which discharge into the Genesee, are found in the
north and east parts. In this town was the summit level of the old Genesee
Valley canal, and the next to the highest summit on the line of the Erie rail-
road, Tiptop summit in Alfred being 1,783 feet above sea level, and Cuba
summit 1,699. The oil spring reservation of one mile square lies on its
western border, partly in Cattaraugus county. The oil spring which this
reservation covers was visited by curious and enterprising whites in 1627.
(See page 40.)#
The famous Cuba reservoir, Lake Cuba, covering an area of nearly 1,600
acres, the largest artificial body of water in the state, is almost entirely
within the town. This is quite a pleasure resort; a hotel is located on its
banks, and the reservoir is well stocked with fish. The reservoir was con-
structed to feed the Genesee Valley and Erie canals, and at an expense to
the state of $150,000. The dam is about 60 feet in height, and it has been
considered by many as a great menace to the village of Cuba. The reser-
voir is a permanent one, and competent engineers have estimated its capaci-
ty when full to be equal to 200 miles of canal. The reservoir is now a feeder
* It was at first called "Oil Creek,"
from its principal stream and the famous oil spring. The name was
soon changed to Cuba, at whose suggestion or for what reason the writer has not been able to learn, but will
offer the suggestion or the name Gah-nooks, by which the oil spring was known by the Senecas. We have
only one town in the county which has an Indian name. Would not Gah-nooks be a good one for Cuba?
J. S. M.
# According to Col. Thomas Proctor, who visited this region in 1791, there were at that time an "upper"
and a "lower" "Cornplanter's town." In his journal he speaks of "oil springs, near which
his residence." The "upper one" was probably Olean, or near it, and I have so referred to it in
the text of
the county history. J. S. M.
814 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
for the Erie canal. Its waters are thereby diverted from their natural
course, as before the construction of the dam the drainage of this pond or
reservoir area was all tributary to Oil creek.
The population of Cuba in 1830 was 1,059. Genesee was set off in April,
1830, so the enumeration probably included the present town of Clarksville
as well as present Cuba. In May, 1835, Clarksville was taken off. The pop-
ulation that year is given as 1,478, showing a fair growth if the enumeration
was made before May 11th, and a remarkable increase of it was made after
that date. In 1840 the number of inhabitants was 1,768, while in 1845 it was
only 1,585. In 1850, duringthe construction of the public works, the cen-
sus returned 2,243; in 1855, 2,116; 1860, 2,187; 1865, 1,978; 1870, 2,397;
1875,2,260; 1880,2,203; 1890,2,328; 1892, 2,348.
The Holland company, in 1806, "articled" land to Enos Silsby, Andrew
Hawley, Stephen Coles, Benjamin Riggs, George W. Higgins, James Has-
kins, Richard Friar and Levi Gregory, but no improvements were made nor
any attempt at settlement on the land for some time after. Turner says
that "four miles from Deacon Rawson's, toward Cuba, on Oil creek, two
settlers located soon after 1808, but the prominent settler in that vicinity
was Col. Samuel H. Morgan who located there in 1811 (others say as late as
1815), and became the founder of a public house that was widely known in
all the early years." Other authorities award Salmon Abbott the distinc-
tion of commencing the settlement of this town in 1812. He came from
Luzerne Co., Pa., and made his beginning near the location of the reservoir.
About the same time Connecticut sent in a delegation, Andrew Hawley, John
Bennett, Stephen Cole and two others, one Hall and one Frier
In 1816 Gen. Calvin T. Chamberlain settled two miles out from Cuba
village, and in 1817 built the first sawmill. James Strong in 1817 purchased
the land now covered by the village. Judge John Griffin in 1820 succeeded
to the possession of the land which Strong "took up."
In 1822 the first school was taught by David Row in a log house. The
first inn had been kept in 1814 by Stephen Cole, 2 1/2 miles from the village on
the Friendship road, and on the farm now owned by Mary E. Crandall. The
first store was kept by King & Graves, in 1821 or 22. (This may have been
the first store devoted exclusively to merchandise, but Judge Griffin had
offered for sale in his tavern, in addition to whiskey, tea, tobacco, and cotton
and woolen cloths)
Adam Renwick, father of Mrs. Reuben German, came to Cuba in 1824,
and in 1825 settled permanently on lot 26. He never settled in Friendship
as has heretofore been stated. James McMonagle was the first settler in
the south part of the town about 1823. David S. German came in from Che-
nango Co. in 1827 and settled on a farm near his son Reuben. He afterward
moved to Wisconsin. Jeremiah Beebe settled on a farm east of Cuba vil-
lage in 1829, and died there. Job Anson and Hosea Capple settled on farms
in the southeast part of Cuba about 1823. William Grove became a resident
there about 1824. Robert Kirkwood settled on the farm now owned by
Ralph N. Wright in 1824 or 25. Benj. Ables and Nicholas Everson both
settled here in 1826.
John Coller, of English stock, born in 1775 in New Jersey, came from
Susquehanna Co., Pa., with wife, Hannah Rynearson, and several children,
with wagons, in June, 1829, and located 150 acres on the southwest corner
of lot 9, where he resided until his death in February, 1860. Both he and
his wife were members of the Free Will Baptist church of Wirt. They
were typical pioneers. Mrs. Coller died in 1850. The children who came
with them were Isaac R., Rachel, who married John Belcher, and for some
years lived in the southwest corner of the town. Hannah, who married
Urial McKinster, lived on the Coller farm for some years, James V., an ec-
centric but extremely industrious man, William, who succeeded to the old
farm where he died in 1888.
Keller Hill receives its name from Christopher Keller, its first settler
in 1822. Here Andrew and Christopher Keller, brothers, made their home
in the forest in that year, and the bounteous fields they and their descend-
ants developed from the wilderness attest the faithfulness of their labors.
William Jackson settled early in the woods on Jackson Hill, thus giving his
name to the locality. Beebe Hill was named from its first settler, Jeremiah
Beebe, in 1829.
NORTH CUBA was early the prospective business center. The first
gristmill of the town was here built in 1818 and a sawmill not far from 1820.
It was first called Cady town, from Stephen Cady, who was connected with
Jacob Baldwin in these early enterprises, and went west in 1835. Mr. Baldwin
remained and his family has been one of the representative ones of this sec-
tion. Robert Campbell came in 1821. His sons James M. and Dillon came
the next year. This family has made much progress in the development of
the place. Rufus R., son of Robert, was an energetic pioneer. The embryo
city has given way to a small hamlet surrounded by beautiful, well-kept
farms. The principal business is the North Cuba Creamery, now owned by
O. J. Warren (600 pounds of butter was churned here in one day in March).
Ioan Powers, son of John M. Powers, a native of North Cuba, was city at-
torney of Rochester, N. Y., in 1886 and 1887.
The turnpike was completed to Olean in 1822, and one of the principal
streams of western emigration passed over this road, which through
present Cuba village followed substantially the course of Main street. An
other avenue of emigration was the Allegany road, which passed from the
Genesee river at Cuylerville to Moscow, Perry, Castile, Pike and Centre-
ville, where one branch went through Rushford, Rawson and by the old
Morgan stand, meeting the turnpike at the old Simeon Hicks' tavern just
beyond the county line, while another passed more to the west through Fair-
view, Farmersville and Franklinville, reaching the turnpike only a little way
this side of Olean. The number of people who passed over these roads was
truly marvelous. For a few years many emigrants made Cuba a place of
embarkation for the west. Families would move into the place in the fall or
816 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
winter, construct a rude temporary habitation, and devote the time before
the first spring flood to building boats or rafts with which to prosecute their
journey. The boats were made of sufficient size to carry from two to five
families each, were ingeniously constructed of logs and plank, and, in many
cases, the lumber was prepared to use in building their new homes at the
places of their destination. The rafts were made small to safely navigate
the creek, but when Olean was reached, a number of these rafts were joined
together, and the journey resumed.
Previous to the construction of the turnpike the roads over which this
immense tide of emigration poured were of the most primitive character.
For some parts of the way, especially over the low grounds, where now is
the village of Cuba, was one continuous mudhole, with seemingly unfathom-
able depth. It is said that 800 pounds then made a heavy load for a three-
horse team, and it took from three to four days to make the trip to Olean
and back, carrying a load one way. Many were the horses that gave out,
their owners selling them for whatever they could get and taking to boats
and rafts. Indeed, so frequent was this the case that some men conducted
quite a lucrative business in buying up these "fagged-out" animals and re-
cruiting them, then selling them. It was the "old, old story" of one man's
misfortunes being another's opportunity.
In all these early years the wolves and wildcats laid claim to the terri-
tory as their paradise, and they made it a veritable pandemonium for the
settlers. Gaunt and hungry, they were always prowling for something
upon which to exercise their ravenous jaws, and the keeping of sheep and
the raising of lambs were greatly retarded, as they were especially fond of
mutton. Large bounties were given by county and state for their destruc-
tion, and the business became quite lucrative. It has been claimed that,
notwithstanding the purity of motives and honesty of purpose with which
we are prone to invest our worthy pioneers, that great frauds were perpe-
trated, and that, if the truth could be clearly established, it would be found
that not nearly so many wolves have actually been killed in our county and
towns as the records of the boards of supervisors show. This of course
made the non-wolf-killing taxpayers complain, and Cuba (in sadness be it
said), enjoyed a reputation for wolf-killing inhabitants second to none in the
county. But the town and county survived the wolf-killing period, and the
last "wolf's long howl" was heard not far from 1840.
Before the wolves had disappeared the Erie canal had been opened and
the great celebration of its successful completion been held. Though re-
mote from the line of that great artery of commerce, its effects were soon
felt at Cuba, as goods need only be hauled from Rochester and Buffalo.
And so improvements and the "clearing up" of farms was stimulated.
During the thirties it became apparent that Cuba possessed men of sa-
gacious minds and commanding influence. Turner, in his "History of the
Holland Purchase, " says that the idea of the feasibility of the construction
of the Genesee Valley canal was first publicly suggested at a meeting in
this town, attended by Gen. C. T. Chamberlain, John Griffin, Samuel Mor-
gan, Daniel Raymond, Simeon C. Moore, and others from Allegany and Cat-
taraugus counties. In 1836 an act was passed authorizing its construction,
and, after 20 years of waiting, the first boat passed the summit level. The
Erie railroad (the construction of which was agitated about the same time
as the canal enterprise), in the interest of which one of the largest and most
enthusiastic of a series of meetings along its proposed route, was held in
Cuba in 1839, was completed in 1851, anticipating the completed canal by
five years. As a great outlay of work and the expenditure of large sums
of money was necessary in the immediate neighborhood of Cuba, this town
was largely benefited by the construction of these public works, and proba-
bly the best years the town ever experienced were those in which the work
In 1882 and 1883 the Valley railroad succeeded the canal, and gave the
town first-class railroad facilities, contributing materially to its prosperity.
The wild lands have been so cleared up and reclaimed that further improve-
ments in that direction are not advisable. The village has had a good healthy
growth, and is now one of the best business points in the county, and, all
things considered, a successful future is assured for both the town and
For these few things the town of Cuba is distinguished. As having the
highest altitude of land in the county and the highest summit of the W. N.
Y. & P. Railway in the county; the oil spring, not only as a natural curiosity,
but as being one of the very first places in the county mentioned in the
journals of early explorers; the oil spring reservoir, the largest artificial
pond in the state; the popular Cuba camp-ground; and for the milk record
of D. B. Whipple's wonderful cow, "Pietertje, 2d," of "112 pounds 7 ounces
in one day, 3,289 pounds 11 ounces in 31 consecutive days, and 30,318 pounds
8 ounces in one year of 365 days." Her udder, by "careful measurements,
contained 1,292 cubic inches, and she had to stand on a platform of eight
inches elevation for the first eight months to be milked."
In 1894 the number of acres assessed on the tax roll was 22,150, and the
equalized value per acre was $36.83. The total equalized value of real and
personal estate was $1,017,921, and Cuba was then in this respect the third
town in the county, which relation it still retains. For 1895 the total valua-
tion was $1,175,630.
CHEESE MARKET, CHEESE FACTORIES, ETC.--At present there are in
Cuba five cheese factories, North Cuba, Cuba Village, Marsh, Keller Hill,
and the Sheldon; probably using the milk from 2,000 cows. The Cuba
cheese market has, it is claimed, won the second place on the list of three
notable cheese markets, Utica being first and Little Falls third. Three
firms are extensively engaged in handling cheese in Cuba, and the integrity
of the dealers and superior quality of the cheese of this section have been
the main factors in the growth of the trade here. Ackerly, Sill & Co.,
George H. Harris & Co., and Demcey & Sibley.
818 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
The cold storage warehouse of Ackerly, Sill & Co. was the second one
built in the county. It was erected in 1894, and before building some of
the best cold storage establishments in the country were closely studied,
and the proprietors have combined all the best and latest features in their
building. This is 76 by 36 feet in size on the ground. Its storage capacity
is about 20,000 boxes, and with a stock of 400 to 500 tons of ice the storage
rooms can be kept at a temperature practically the same during the extreme
heat of summer and cold of winter. Ackerly, Sill & Co. buy cheese from
over an extended section of country; from Almond on the east to Randolph
on the west, from Tioga Co., N. Y., from Tioga Co., Pa., the Snyder com-
bination, and others. Their sales are made to large jobbers, wholesale deal-
ers and retailers, and aggregate from 400,000 to 500,000 boxes annually.
Ackerly, Sill & Co. claim for the cheese of this section (and particularly of
Allegany) that it sends out "the best white cheese in the world."
To Cuba belongs the honor of producing the largest milk record from a
single cow in the world. This was the famous Holstein-Friesian cow,
"Pietertje 2d," No. 3272, H. H. B. She was calved April 25, 1877, in Fries-
land, Holland; imported by Alonzo Bradley, of Lee, Mass., in 1882; sold to
Elizar Smith, of Lee, and purchased and brought to Cuba by Dallas B.
Whipple in September, 1874. Here in one year (365 days) she produced
30,318 1/2 pounds of milk--a record not broken before nor since. During the
making of this record she gave over 112 pounds of milk in one day. This
record is supported by affidavits of 12 persons. Mr. Whipple several times
refused $10,000 for the cow. She was sold with her family (7 in all) to Hon.
J. B. Dutcher & Son, of Pauline, N. Y., at a large figure. Her daughter,
"II Pietertje 3d," H. F. H. B., produced in 1888 the world's milk record for a
four-year-old, her record for 12 months being 24,125 pounds. Her son
Holland King" was the first and only Holstein-Friesian bull whose ser-
vices were patronized at $500. Both were bred and owned in Cuba by Mr.
"SOLDIER DEAD " buried in the Cuba cemetery, as furnished by Clinton
H. Miner, Esq. As only a small part have company and regiment attached,
the names only are given.
War of the Rebellion.--Lester Bec
kwith, Col. C. T. Otis, Charles Gallup,
J. O. Gallup, James Carpenter, Harvey Van Horn, Wilfred Bradley, Charles
Haskell, Jerome C. Brown, Darius German, Eugene G. Snyder, Robert Or-
ton, Alexander Frazier, James Brown, Aaron Gear, Henry Sizer, George
Stewart, Stephen T. Bartle, Capt. Amos F. Davis, Myron Brown, George
Fowler, Frank Masseson, A. F. Dekay, J. S. Webster, W. H. Walrath, W. H.
Root, Frank Page, Charles Coy, Cicero Phelps, John Foot, Judson Cutter,
Charles Wilcox, Edward Bradley, Charles Eaton, Harvey Graham, Edward
Adams. The following were either buried on battlefields, or from hospitals
and prisons: W. D. Setchel, Leeman Sheldon, Albert Gallup, James Presho,
and --- Fitch.
War of 1812.-Joseph Palmer, Ananias Wisner, Wm. Dunkin, Philo Rob-
erts, Martin Smith, Jacob Woodard.
Second Baptist Church of Cuba.--Jan. 18, 1834, members of the Friend-
ship Baptist church living in Cuba met in covenant meeting and discussed
a separate church organization. James Jordan, Abraham Rude and William
Dunkin were appointed a committee to request of the Friendship church
the dismission of its Cuba members. This was granted, and Feb. 15, 1834,
these persons organized the Second Baptist church of Cuba: John Jordan,
James Jordan, Abraham Rude, William Dunkin, Benjamin Abels, John
Dakin, David Rose, Alden Stone, Jacob Bower, John Shafer, William South-
worth, Nathan Southworth, Asa Southworth, Nicholas Everson, Job Anson,
William German, Leonard Anson, Rufus Cone, James Ayers, John Carter,
Cornelia Jordan, Katherine Jordan, Anna Rude, Patty Dunkin, Cynthia
Abels, Amerilas Dakin, Betsey Rose, Amanda Rose, Lucy Bower, Laura
Shafer, Elvira Luroy, Amelia Partridge, Caroline Rude, Mary Everson,
Charlotte Anson, Arvilla Rude, Almira Keller, Mrs. R. Cone, Mrs. J. Ayers,
Julia Jordan, and Harriet Coller. James Jordan and William Dunkin were
chosen deacons; John Jordan, clerk; and Abraham Rude, Benjamin Abels
and David Rose, trustees. June 4, 1834, a council from the churches in
Friendship, Amity, Bolivar, Rushford and Hinsdale convened in Cuba and
recognized the new church. The first pastor, Rev. Anson Tuthill, closed
his labors August, 1834, and died in October. Rev. J. G. L. Haskins then
became pastor until December, 1836. He later became a Presbyterian.
The third pastor was Rev. Leonard Anson, from April, 1837, to January,
1840. During his pastorate, in 1838, the first meetinghouse was built. Mr.
Anson contributed $100 toward the edifice and Gen. C. T. Chamberlain gave
the lot. Gen. Chamberlain, Joseph Palmer and Stephen Smith gave $100
each. Abraham Rude had charge of building the house. The bell weighed
466 pounds and was of unusual excellence. The fourth pastor, Rev. B. F.
Robins came in April, 1840, and remained until Jan. 1, 1845. He received
by baptism 59 and by letter 58 members. At this time the church was di-
vided by the Millerite excitement. The pastor and many of the members
were so carried away with it that they sat up one Monday night until 2
o'clock anxiously awaiting the end of the world. Throughout the village
the excitement was equally intense. Rev. Mr. Robins embraced Sabbata-
rian views and in 1848 united with the Seventh-day Baptist church of Nile.
"After a few years he was excommunicated for heresy in advocating the
speedy coming of Christ, the sleep of the dead, materialism and the annihil-
ation of the wicked." The next pastor, Rev. Daniel M. Root, assumed
charge early in 1845 and stayed one year. This year was mainly occupied
with disciplinary measures consequent upon the Millerite craze, and 45 were
dropped from the church lists, but afterwards most of them returned. The
sixth pastor was Rev. O. W. Gibbs, from May, 1846, until May, 1849. He
was ordained at Cuba, July 19, 1846. Rev. Z. Smith came in 1849 and con-
tinued until 1852, and received 39 by baptism and 21 by letter. In 1850 the
820 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
parsonage, costing $650, was built, the site being given by Gen. C. T. Cham-
berlain. The eighth pastor was Rev. A. T. Cole, from May, 1852, to May,
1863. During eleven years 112 persons were added to the church by bap-
tism and 75 by letter. 1854 and 1858 were years of especial revival interest.
In 1860-61 the edifice was repaired, the pulpit removed from between the
doors to the opposite end of the house, the seats turned about, the audience
room enlarged, and a lecture room built on, at a cost of $2,300. At the close
of Rev. Mr. Cole's pastorate the church numbered over 180 members. The
next pastor, Rev. Ira W. Simpson, continued about one year. Rev. Harvey
H. Stockton began in May, 1864, and remained until his death, March 2,
1866. The eleventh pastor, Rev. S. W. Titus, began in 1866, continued 15
months, added 39 by baptism and 59 by letter. Rev. W. C. Learned was
pastor from Oct. 1, 1867, and continued a year and a half. The next pastor
was Rev. Isaac C. Seely, from 1869 until his death, Dec. 22, 1874. In 1870
the meetinghouse was burned and the present brick edifice erected. A fine
organ was purchased in 1874. In the erection of this building Mr. Seely
was tireless in efforts to bring it to completion and led the movement to se-
cure the organ, but was privileged to preach only once after it was ready
for use. The pastorate of Rev. V. A. Sage began in April, 1875, and closed
Jan. 1, 1887. In May, 1892, at their annual meeting the trustees voted to
change the corporate name of the church to the "First Baptist Church of
Cuba," but so far no legal steps have been taken to carry out this action.
Since, the pastors have been in succession, Rev. T. M. Davis, 1887-89; Rev.
E. L. Scott, 1889-91; Rev. D. H. Denison, 1891-96. There are 247 members
in this church and a Sunday school of 178 members. In 1873 Daniel B. Sill
was chosen superintendent and re-elected each year until 1885, when Prof.
W. H. Yinney assumed the office. He was succeeded by the present super-
intendent, Robert Bowen. Connected with the church are the senior and
junior societies of Y. P. S. C. E., Woman's Home and Foreign Mission Cir-
cle, The Northern Lights (the young woman's mission circle), and the
Ladies' Aid Society.
CHRIST CHURCH (EPISCOPAL).--The first Episcopal services in Cuba
were held in the Presbyterian church in 1839 by Rev. Mr. Bruce, who offi-
ciated occasionally for several years after. The first baptism into this
church was that of Mrs. Wealthy Ann Maxson, wife of Dr. Stephen Max-
son, January 29,1843. In the summer of 1843 W. H. DeLancy, D. D., bishop
of the diocese, held service, preached and made an effort to unite Rushford
and Cuba in one parish. Subsequently Rev. Thomas Morris of Ellicottville
occasionally held services, still using the Presbyterian house of worship.
The first communicant who resided in Cuba was Mrs. Sarah R. Chamber-
lain, wife of Gen. Calvin T. Chamberlain, in 1846. In 1852 Noah P. Love-
ridge, the first male communicant arrived. In 1852 Rev. Mr. Wilson of
Olean began holding services in the Methodist church once in two weeks,
which was continued for some years. At this time a parish, "Christ's
Church Parish of Cuba," was organized. Calvin T. Chamberlain and An-
son Stewart were wardens; Rufus L. Colwell, Dr. Stephen Maxson, D. A.
Kirkpatrick, Noah P. Loveridge, Marshall B. Champlain, Stephen L. David-
son and Samuel M. Russell vestrymen. At a later period meetings were
held in school rooms, halls and offices, as convenience seemed to dictate, and
when no clergyman was present, Noah P. Loveridge read sermons. Mrs.
Ann Champlain was the first person confirmed from this parish, in Olean,
May 21, 1854. Rev. Moses E. Wilson resigned the rectorship of Olean and
Cuba parishes at Easter, 1855, and was succeeded by Rev. Charles E.
Beardsley who officiated every third Sunday till Easter, 1859. A chapel
was erected in 1856-57 and occupied the latter year, continuing to be their
place of worship till it was burned in 1871. Rev. John A. Bowman took
charge of the parish in 1859, alternating with Wellsville. From 1860 to
1865, Rev. John Dobyns was rector three years and services were continued
by lay reading. From 1865 to 1867 Rev. J. H. Waterbury had charge. Rev.
S. S. Lewis officiated from 1867 to 1870, and was succeeded by Rev. Thomas
Bell, under whose rectorship the present church edifice was erected, the
cornerstone being laid May 30, 1871, by Rev. D. E. Loveridge of Norwich,
N. Y. The architect was Col. C. N. Otis. The building is of brick, seats
300 people, and together with the lot, furniture and appointments is worth
$15,000. Since and including 1871, the rectors have been Rev. E. J. Cooke.
Rev. J. W. Greenwood, Rev. J. Sidney Kent, Rev. J. E. Goodhue, Rev. W.
W. Rufter, and Rev. F. N. Bouck. The present officers are, E. D. Loveridge,
senior warden; Geo. H. Brooks, junior warden; A. J. Phillips, treasurer.
Hon. E. D. Loveridge is superintendent of the Sabbath school of 40 members.
FIRST M. E. CHURCH.--Rev. S. Y. Hammond in 1844 organized the First
Methodist Episcopal Church of Cuba, with about a dozen members. In 1850
a church costing $2,000 was erected by subscription. William Waterbury
and Erastus Kinney and families were early members, and among the early
pastors were Revs. McKinster and Bradley. In 1870 $1,500 was laid out in re-
pairs to the church and a few years ago a parsonage was erected by sub-
scription. Since 1879 the pastors have been Revs. J. J. Payne, E. P. Hub-
bell, J. Albert Smith, T. W. Chandler, F. D. F. Beckley, J. B. Countryman,
W. B. Wagner. The present pastor is Rev. P. P. Carroll. A Sunday school
of 150 members; superintendent, A. C. Fisher.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.--At a meeting held July 19, 1827, " The
Presbyterian church of Cuba" was organized with these members, Rev.
Reuben Hurd and Capt. James Davidson delegates from the Presbyterian
church in Haight being present, Henry Stevens, William Hicks, Kendal
Wilder. Gordon Kenedy, Horatio Orton, Elinor Baird, Margaret Huntley,
Lucy Hicks, Eunice Brownson, Lucy Kenedy. The Confession of Faith of
the Presbyterian church, and a covenant were adopted. The first ruling
elders elected Feb. 8, 1833, were Mr. Kendal Wilder and Mr. Josiah Bond.
At first this church and the church of Friendship seemed to be almost one
organization, meeting alternately at Cuba and Friendship. During the early
days of the Cuba church services were held in available schoolhouses and
822 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
even in a barn. On Feb. 12, 1835, the congregation met in the stone build-
ing of Stephen Smith in Cuba, and it was decided to adopt the Congrega-
tional form of government on the "Plan of Union" idea, which still left them
in connection with the Presbytery. This continued until June 4, 1842, when
another congregational meeting was called to determine the sentiment of
the congregation as to government, whether for the Presbyterial, Congre-
gational, or mixed form that was then in use. A committee was appointed
which reported June 18, 1842, and the Congregational form was adopted.
A Covenant, Confession of Faith and Discipline, Congregational in character
was adopted July 9, 1842. This held until Oct. 1, 1842, when the congrega-
tion, in meeting, decided to join the Presbyterian body and adopt the "Dis-
cipline of the Presbyterian church of U. S. A.," repealing the discipline
adopted July 9th. From this time the church has been Presbyterian, and
has been called "The First Presbyterian Church of Cuba, N. Y.". The first
officers of this organization were Elders Kendal Wilder, Stephen Prentice,
Stephen Bartle and Joseph Backus; and Horatio Orton and Jabez Fuller
deacons. The church grew and had a quiet and a comparatively uneventful
history from that time until the present. It has had 11 pastors; the first,
Rev. Samuel W. May from 1833 to 1835; Revs. A. L. Allen 1837-46; N. Leighton
1846-9; J. Wynkoop 1849-52; N. Allen who was stated supply during 1853-4
and pastor 1854-59; W. C. White 1860-61; John E. Baker 1863-65; C. B. Gard-
ner 1865-74; John C. Taylor 1875-82; Chas. P. Luce from 1883-89; William
G. White 1890-94 and Robert Clement from June 1, 1894 and who is the
present pastor. The present church building was erected on the site of the
former church, which was removed and afterward burned. The building
is brick and cost about $20,000. The corner-stone was laid July 4, 1871, and
the church was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies June 13, 1872. The
membership is now 249. The Sabbath school has an average attendance
that is remarkable. The superintendent, Mr. Clinton H. Miner, is also the
secretary of the "Sabbath School Association of Allegany county." All
branches of the church work are prospering. The present officers are,
Elders emeriti Charles Amsden, J. M. Barnes, W. J. Amsden; active, A. B.
Webster, P. P. Peckham, Amasa Fuller, Clinton H. Miner, Charles Fuller,
A. H. Bishop; deacons Frank Amsden, F. J. Ehman and G. W. Alexander;
and trustees Sandford Cole, Frank Sibley and Walter D. Ormiston. Of the
former pastors whose residences are known, Rev. C. B. Gardner, D. D., is
pastor of Westminster church of Rochester, N. Y.; Rev. John C. Taylor is
in Kansas City, Mo.; Rev. Charles P. Luce, Ph. D., is pastor of First Pres-
byterian church, Owensboro, Ky., and Rev. William G. White pastor of
Westminster church, Youngstown, Ohio. The present pastor, Rev. Robert
Clements, was born July 19, 1869, in Schenectady, N. Y., was graduated
from Union College in 1891, and from Auburn Theological Seminary in 1894,
and was installed as pastor of the Cuba church in June, 1894.
UNIVERSALIST CHURCH.--Rev. S. Goff, if not the first, was one of the
first to preach the Universalist doctrines in Cuba in 1844-5, in the village
schoolhouse. From 1845 to 1847 Rev. J. B. Saxe held regular services in
Independence Hall. In 1847 Rev. I. B. Sharp came and preached one year.
>From 1848 to 1853 only occasional services were held, and then Rev. G. S.
Gowdy preached one year. Rev. F. M. Alvord from the Friendship church
then preached about a year at North Cuba, part of the hearers being those
formerly assembled at Cuba village. Rev. Elhanan W. Reynolds organized
a society of 84 members, Feb. 3, 1867, and preached in Palmer Hall for about
three months, when failing health obliged him to discontinue. The trus-
tees were, L. A. Reynolds, John Brooks and Freeman L. Sibley. Rev. E.
W. Fuller was made pastor in 1868 and preached two years; during his pasto-
rate a church edifice was erected at a cost of $7,000 free from debt. The
size of the structure which is of brick, is 40x70 feet. It was dedicated on
the 27th of June, 1870, Rev. E. W. Fuller preaching the sermon. Rev. I. D.
Laurie succeeded Mr. Fuller for a short time, then Rev. L. P. Blackford
was pastor for 3 1/2 years. During his pastorate a church consisting of 43
members was organized, and during that of his successor Rev. Henry Shep-
ard, who came March 1, 1876, 11 were added. The succeeding pastors have
been Revs. J. W. Broffael, W. H. McLaughlin, Charles Palmater, and J. J.
Brayton, who lived and preached in Friendship and supplied this church.
Since June, 1893, this church has been without a pastor, and services are held
only occasionally. Of those who have been prominently connected with this
church and foremost in building it are A. M. Scott, F. L. Sibley, Lonson
Baldwin, L. A. Reynolds, M. B. Champlain, Oramel Griffin, S. H. Conant, H.
Kinney, Lewis Graves, Rev. E. W. Reynolds and Russell Smith. The present
trustees are Wm. Currier, F. O. Prouty, G. W. Baldwin; clerk, Gideon Sisson.
CHURCH of OUR LADY OF ANGELS.--Previous to 1853 mass was cele-
brated at various places and in private houses, by priests from Java, Olean
and Allegany. In that year a church was bought and deeded to Bishop
Timon of Buffalo. There were 43 original members of the church, among
them Michael McBride, Thomas Donaldson, Peter Kenny, Mrs. Kane, Mrs.
McCarthy, James Donovan, Mrs. McGrath, Jerry Leam, Garrett Hurley,
Walter Butler, W. J. Baxter, James Druam, H. Moore, Bernard Keating,
Thomas Mangan and Dennis Casey. The first settled pastor was Father
Doran. He was succeeded by Father McKenny who stayed a year, leaving
March 1, 1855. Priests from St. Bonaventure College at Allegany, supplied
the services from that time till September, 1872, when Father M. Ryan came
and remained till April, 1873. He was succeeded by Father O'Mara, who
remained till August, 1875, when Father Ledwith came and stayed till July,
1877, and was then succeeded by Father Lee. Father Thomas Carraher
succeeded him in April, 1879. Rev. James Griffin came in March, 1889, and
January, 1895, Rev. J. J. Rogers, the present pastor, began his labors. In
1883 on a commanding site in the southwest past of the village a new church
was erected. In 1855 burial grounds were purchased and consecrated by
Father Pamphilio. The church property is considered worth $10,000. The
membership averages 400.
824 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
THE CUBA TEMPERANCE CAMP-MEETING ASSOCIATION was organized in
1882 by Rev. John A. Copeland and a few of the citizens of Cuba. Mr. Cope-
land that year instituted a number of these associations throughout this por-
tion of the state, terming them the St. John's Circuit of Camps. Rev.
V. A. Sage, (Baptist) was president until 1890, when Daniel B. Sill, the
present incumbent, was elected. Mr. Sill was secretary all the time and
treasurer a portion of the time until 1890, when Major George H. Eldridge
assumed and has since held the secretaryship. It was on the grounds of
this association, then located about a mile south of Cuba village, that John
P. St. John received official notification of his presidential nomination in
1884. In 1887 the association was incorporated as a stock company and a
beautiful grove just outside the village was leased and the association moved
its home thither. Here the necessary buildings (chief among them a large
auditorium) have been constructed, pipes laid, and gas for lighting and fuel
for cooking purposes introduced. These grounds during the annual meet-
ings, which are conducted on the Chautauqua plan, in August, are brilliantly
lighted by natural gas and otherwise attractively decorated. While it is
emphatically a temperance organization, it nevertheless invites and fosters
literary and social enterprises. Its program each year bears the names of
those who are prominent on the American stage, whose lectures are instruct-
ive as well as entertaining. Special days are set aside for certain classes of
people, such as the W. C. T. U. day, "Farmer's day," etc. Last but not
least it offers to the people of Allegany county a place of quiet recreation
much cheaper and more convenient than Chautauqua, the Thousand Islands,
or the seaside. The present stockholders of the association are men and
women of prominence and enterprise throughout the county. The present
officers are: trustees, George H. Eldridge, J. M. Barnes, E. D. Loveridge, J.
B. Bradley and D. B. Sill; president, D. B. Sill; vice-president, E. D.
Loveridge; secretary, George H. Eldridge; treasurer, Charles A. Ackerly.
Mr. J. G. Halstead was manager of the grounds till within two or three years
when H. D. Bliss gave his attention to them.
YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION.--This organization has per-
formed a work which inseparably connects its name with the moral and
religious interests and developments of the place. It was organized Octo-
ber 23, 1887, with these members: R. A. Bruce, Jr., W. H. Kinney, C. S.
Prosser, F. W. Westford, F. A. Rude, H. T. Wilcox, S. D. Morgan, L. E.
Lacy, Adelbert Enos, R. G. Lafever, George S. Hills, A. A. Gail, J. Albert
Halstead, Theodore J. Marsh and C. B. Wasson. "The moral and religious
development of themselves and associates" is set forth in the preamble to
their constitution as the object of the association. At the first meeting a
delegation from the W. C. T. U. kindly tendered the use of their rooms.
The generous offer was accepted. The first officers were: President, Prof.
W. H. Kinney; vice-president, Robert Bruce; secretary, C. S. Prosser;
treasurer, F. A. Rude; corresponding secretary, Frank Taylor. The organ-
ization has now no active existence.
SUPERVISORS.--Calvin T. Chamberlain, 1822-30; Edward H. Johnson, 1831-86; William
Hicks, 1837-38, '40, '41, '42; Samuel M. Russell, 1839; Joseph Palmer, Jr., 1843; James M.
Campbell, 1844; Stephen Maxson, 1845, '46; James O. Spencer, 1847, '48; Lewis Nash, 1849-
1852; Ithiel V. Stone, 1853; James A. Willard, 1854, '55; Wm. A. Kirkpatrick, 1856, '57;
Noah P. Loveridge, 1858; R. L. Colwell, 1859; E. D. Loveridge, 1860, '61, '64 ; Samuel H.
Conant, 1862, '63, '69; J. W. Rowley, 1865; Russell Smith, 1866-68; Russell T. Maxson,1870,
'73; Charles Guilford, 1871, '72, '73, '79, '80, '81, '82; G. Bishop, 1874, '75; F. R. Sibley, 1876,
'77, '91, '92; Samuel H. Morgan, 1878; Fred C. Reynolds, 1883, '84; F. E. Hammond, 1885,
'87, '88; Oscar H. Amsden, 1889; F. M. Todd, 1890 ; George Amsden, 1893-96.
PRESENT TOWN OFFICERS.--George Amsden, supervisor; W. F. Bement, clerk; Oscar
H. Amsden, William Campbell, Sandford S. Cole, assessors; Geo. P. Wall, highway commission-
er; Edwin A. Bartlett, collector; Norman Boon, overseer of the poor; W. D. Ormiston, C. H.
Miner, John Straight, T. P. Snyder, justices of the peace; J. Fenton Olive, Thomas A. Quinn,
Albert A. Adams, Charles A. DeKay, Charles D. Amsden, constables.