History of CUTLER, New York

CUTLER was formed from Truxton, November 18, 1858. It is the north-east corner town of the County. The surface is a broken and hilly upland. The east branch of the Tioughnioga River enters the town near the north-east corner and flows diagonally across, leaving near the center of the east line. The other streams are small brooks, and most of them tributaries of the Tioughnioga. Muncey Hill, near the center, is the highest land in the town, and is a wild, broken region, poorly adapted to cultivation. The soil is chiefly a sandy and gravelly loam.

Cuyler, (p. v.) situated a little north of the center of the town, contains a Methodist Church, a hotel, several mechanic shops and about 200 inhabitants.

Keeney Settlemant, situate on the north line of the town, contains a Baptist Church and about a dozen houses.

The first settlement of this town was made in 1794, by Nathaniel Potter, who removed from Saratoga County with a wife and a daughter five weeks old. He settled on lot 96, paying one dollar and ten cents an acre for his land. He was killed in 1798 by the fall of a tree; his little boy about five years old was with him at the time. Mrs. Joseph Keeler was the first to find him, crushed beneath a large tree, but still alive. He asked for water and was supplied by Mrs. Keeler, taking his hat as the only substitute for a pail. He then requested her to pray with him, but this request was not granted. The daughter of Mr. Potter is the mother of Stephen Patrick, and now lives with Wesley Patrick in this town. Mr. Morse was a soldier of the Revolution and. drew lot 87, upon which he located. He came from New Jersey. James Lockwood came with him from Pennsylvatha. They came in a canoe up the Tioughnioga River, and then took an ox team to their place of destination. Joseph Keeler and. brother settled on the same lot. Isaac Brown settled on lot 99, about the year 1806, and Zebadiah Gates on lot 88 in 1807. Charles Vincent settled on lot 78 in 1806, and James Vincent in 1800. Jesse Blanchard settle& on lot 66 in 1798, and Benjamin Brown, from Connecticut, settled on lot 57 in 1795. Daniel Page settled on lot 79, where widow Hinds now lives. James Dorwood, from Rhinebeck, came into the town in 1806. He was an ingenious mechanic and is said to have built the first carding machine in the State. He was a native of Scotland, and left his native country when eighteen years of age to avoid being drafted into the army by King George III. Huldah Dorwood, now 97 years of age, lives in the town. Jacob Hollenbeck and John Brown settled on lot 77 in 1806—8. Thomas Fairbanks, from Massachusetts, settled on lot 60 in 1803, and Ephraim Fairbanks settled on the same lot, on the farm now occupied by Joseph L. Burdick. Oliver Heart settled on lot 80 in 1806, on the farm now occupied by H. F. Boyce.

Mr. Joseph Sweatland kept the first inn in 1806, hanging his sign upon a tree; and Oliver Mix taught the first school, in the bar room of the same tavern, in 1807. Tydaman Hull kept the first store, in 1806, where Mr. Neil now lives. Wanton Corey, aged twenty years, and Deborah Morse, aged seventeen, were the first couple married in town in May, 1806. Garret Lockwood and Irene Calver were married about the same time. Benoni Harris was the first Methodist minister who preached in the town; in 1808. The sermon was preached in Slingerland’s barn. Jabez Keep taught school in Daniel Morse’s log bousein 1800, and. Captain Thomas Queensbury, in Hollenbeck’s barn, about; the same time. Joseph Sweetland built the first grist mill, in the north-east part of the town,on lot 79, in 1805. John Corbet built the first saw mill about the year 1803. The first death in the town was that of Mrs. Susannak Potter, wife of Nathaniel Potter, in June, 1795. Mr. Potter, his, daughter and a babe four months old, were all the perSons present at her death. Mr. Potter went four miles for neighbors to lay out his wife, and took the door of their log house with which to make a coffin, that being the only material at, band suitable for the purpose. Wild animals were very numerous and the flacks and herds of the settlers frequently suffered from their depredations. It was necessary to yard them at night to protect them. Mr. John Hooker had a cow killed by wolves, and afterwards, having dug a pit to entrap the beasts, he caught seven, and received & bounty of $40.00 for them.

The population in 1865 was 1,447, and the area 25,737 acres.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates

All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy