Darien occupies the southwestern corner of Genesee county. It is bounded on the north by Pembroke, on the east
by Alexander, on the south by Bennington, Wyoming county, and on the west by Alden, Erie county. The surface is
undulating in the north and hilly in the south. Murder creek flows in a northerly direction through the eastern
section. Elliott creek, Huron creek and Eleven Mile creek are the other principal streams. In the northern part
of the town the soil is a gravelly and sandy loam. In the southern part it is a clayey loam underlaid by limestone
The Erie Railroad extends through the town from east to west, south of the centre; the Delaware, Lackawanna &
Western Railroad extends east and west, north of the centre; the New York Central & Hudson River and the Lehigh
Valley Railroads pass through the northwestern part.
The first settlement was made near Darien City in 1803 by Orange Carter, who came from Vermont. In 1804 Isaac Chaddock,
also from Vermont, settled near the same place. The first tavern was that conducted by Stephen Parker at Darien
City in 1808, and the first sawmill was erected in 1809 by Amos Humphrey. It was located on Eleven Mile creek.
Stephen King had the first store, which he opened at Darien Centre in 1815. The earliest religious services of
which any record has been left were held in 1820 by Elder William Throop, a Baptist minister. The first church
society, which has been extinct since 1860, was a Congregational church organized at Darien Centre, May 9, 1823,
with twelve members.
Darien was formed from Pembroke February 10, 1832. The first annual town meeting was held April 3, 1832, at the
tavern of Stephen King, when these officers were elected:
Supervisor, Hugh Long; town clerk, Thomas Riddle; justices of the peace, Jonathan Durkee, James Sutherland, Adna
Tenney; assessors, William Thayer. William Williams, Thomas Miller; overseers of the poor, Chilson Mullet, Price
Mattison; commissioners of highways, Lyman H. Seaver, Lewis Clark, William Kidder; commissioners of schools, Daniel
Carter, Constantine Gilman, Newton Haws; collector, Daniel Kendrick.
The supervisors of the town from its organization to the present time have been
1882, Hugh Long; 18331835, Selvey Kidder; 18361837, William Thayer; 1838 1840, James Long; 1841, Zina Waite;
18421843, Stephen King; 1844, Lewis Clark; 18451846, Ebenezer Losee; 18471848, Adna Tenney; 1849, Daniel Carter;
18501851, Heman McIntyre; 1852-1853, Daniel Carter; 18541855, Norman Matteson; 1856, Daniel S. Jones; 1857. Calvin
Topliff; 1858, Daniel S. Jones; 1859, Lucius H. Yates; 1860, Alanson Fisher; 18611862. Alva Jefferson; 1863, Daniel
S. Jones; 1864, Calvin Topliff; 18651869, Benajah Griswold; 18701872, Frank Chapin; 1873-1874, James Tyrrell;
18751876, John Sumner; 18771878, Cyrus Wait; 18791880, Richard R. Losee; 18811884, James H. Sutherland; 18851886,
John J. Ellis; 18871888, James Kinsey; 18891892, Flavius J. Whiting; 18931895, Frank W. Simonds; 1896 1897.
Flavius J. Whiting; 1898, Alexander F. Richley.
Darien Centre, originally called Kings Corners, is situated a short distance south of the centre of the town,
on the Erie Railroad. It has a Methodist Episcopal Church, a school, hotel, several stores and small industries.
Darien, or Darien City, as it is sometimes called, is one and a half miles east of Darien Centre and about half
a mile north of the Erie Railroad, It contains a Methodfst Church, a school, a saw and grist mills and two or three
Sawens is located on Murder creek in the northeastern part of the town. It is a small hamlet with a store, sawmill,
cider mill and blacksmith shop.
Fargo is a small hamlet in the northwestern part of the town, on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad,
and contains a store, cheese factory and blacksmith shop.