POPULATION, 3,172. - SQUARE ACRES, 24,250.
NORTHEAST was formed as a town, March 7, 1783. It derives its name from its geographical position in the county.
Milan was taken off in 1818, and Pine Plains in 1823. A tongue of land nearly two miles wide extends nearly four
miles north of the remaining part of the town. The surface is a hilly and broken upland. The Taghkanick Mountains,
extending along the eastern border, are rocky and broken, and are from 1000 to 1200 feet above tide. The highest
point in the valley west of the mountains, forming the summit level of the New York and Harlem Railroad, is 771
feet above tide. Ten Mile River, the principal stream flows south, nearly through the town. Shekomeko Creek flows
north through the west part. Indian Pond, on the east line, Round Pond near the south part, and Rudds Pond, are
the principal bodies of water. The valleys have generally a gravelly and clayey soil; the hills in many places
are rocky and fit only for pasturage. Extensive beds of iron ore have been opened in the town. Northeast Centre,
Millerton, Spencers Corners, Coleman Station, Mount Riga, Shekomeko, Federal Store, and Oblong, are hamlets. The
pioneer settlers were mostly from Connecticut, and located here from 1725 to 1730. The first religious services
were held by Moravian Missionaries, at an Indian mission house near the north borders of Indian Pond. The site
of this mission house is yet shown on lands of Hiram Clark.
The Dakin ore bed was opened in 1846, by the proprietor, who erected a furnace in the vicinity, and ran it until
1856. The mine is at the foot of the Taghkanick Mountain, where it makes a bend into Connecticut, about one and
a half miles above the Salisbury mines. An extensive furnace is located about one mile northwest of Millerton.
A cupola furnace was erected here for the manufacture of car wheels. A slate company was formed in this town in
1812. In x851, there was no house where the thriving village of Milierton now stands. Baitus Lott and Adam Showerman
first settled in the south part of the town.
The following are extracts from the early town records of Northeast:
Pursuant to an Act of the Legislature of the State of New York, passed March 26, 1823, for dividing the towns of
Amenia and Northeast, in the County of Duchess, and erecting a new town therefrom by the name of Northeast, and
directing the first Town Meeting to be held at the house of Alex. Neely in said town; a Town Meeting was held at
the house of the aforesaid Alexander Neely, in the town of Northeast, on the 1st day of April, 1823, Reuben B.
Rudd, one of the Justices of the Peace for the County of Duchess, residing in said town, presiding: The above mentioned
act was read; Enos Hopkins was chosen Moderator, and Charles Culver and Alanson Culver, Clerks for the day. The
following are the by-laws and regulations passed by the town of Northeast at the aforementioned town meeting:
That $500 be raised for the support of the poor during the ensuing year.
That the town elect three Assessors, four Constables, and two Pound Masters for the ensuing year.
That a fence to be considered lawful shall be four and one half feet in height, and the materials shall be laid
no more than five inches apart for two feet above the ground.
That no hogs shall be suffered to run in the highway after three months old, without a ring in the nose.
That proper persons shall be employed to run the line between the towns of Amenia and Northeast, with proper attendants,
at the expense of the town.
That the Collector shall be allowed but three cents on the dollar for collecting fees.
The following officers were duly elected officers of the town of Northeast for the ensuing year, the 1st day of
April, 1823: Philo M. Winchell, Supervisor; Platt Smith, Town Clerk David Sheldon, Noah Brown, and Amos Bryan,
Assessors; Jacob Dakin, Douglass Clark, and Hiram Hamblin, Commissioners of Highways; Enos Hopkins and Eben Wheeler,
Overseers of the Poor; Wm. Park, Stephen B. Trumbridge, and John S. Perlee, Commissioners of Schools; John Buttolph,
Jun., Chas. Perry, and Peter Mills, Inspectors of Schools.
Voted, April 5th, 1825, that the Commissioners of Common Schools, and the Inspectors of the same, shall be allowed
a compensation for their services for 1824.
Voted, April 7th, 1829, that the town disapproves of uniting with the county in the erection of a County Poor House.
The Dakin family came from Putnam County. Elder Simon Dakin moved into this town about 1766, and formed the first
Baptist Church at Spencers Corners. He had three sons - Joshua, Caleb, and Simon; also four daughters. Another
prominent family were the Winchells. Jas. Winchell was a man of considerable property. He owned a farm and mill,
and was one of the principal men of the Baptist Church. At his death, a portion of his estate was devised by will
to the church. His brother, Martin E. Winchell, was likewise a member. Martin had represented his county in the
Legislature, and was a man of considerable note. Philo M. Winchell, another:brother, was a farmer, and had also
occupied a seat in the Legislature of the State. Major Abraham Hartwell lived on the farm occupied by Orville Dakin.
Philip Spencer, ancestor of the Spencers in this town, had three sons - Ambrose, Philip, and Alexander. Ambrose
became a Judge; Philip was a lawyer of some repute, and was at one time Clerk for the County; Alexander was a farmer,
and once elected to a seat in the Legislature.
Stephen Brown was a member of the Baptist Church. He had three sons - Joseph, Abner, and Ransom. Abner married
a daughter of Philo M. Winchell. The Lawrence family descended from Uriah, who had one son named Martin. The old
gentleman was Justice of the Peace. A man was brought before him and fined for swearing. He paid his fine, but
continued to swear, and the penalty was again imposed, and as promptly paid. This was repeated until his friends
took him away from before the magistrate.
The ancestor of the Rudd family was Major B. Rudd, who had four sons. One of them was a Justice in the town of
Northeast. Josiah Halstead lived in this town on the farm known as the Wilcox place. He was a prominent member
of the M. E. Church. He was a blacksmith, and worked at his trade. Before the year 1800 he removed to Ancram, where
he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He had six sons and three daughters, Benjamin, John, Samuel, Joel, Joseph
and James; Betsey, Lavinia, and Nancy. John was a man of good abilities, and studied for a physician under Dr.
Dodge. He once delivered a Fourth of July oration at the Mountain Meeting House, near Col. Winchell's.
Samuel Eggleston was a farmer who lived about one and a:half miles north of Millerton on the farm now owned by
Noah Gridley. He had three sons, viz: Nicholas, David, Samuel, and seven daughters. Nicholas married Polly Stewart,
by whom he had seven sons: Truman, Ambrose, John, Albert, Stewart, Hamilton, and Benjamin; also one daughter, Martha,who
married Philip Jenks, a deacon of the Presbyterian Church. Ambrose became a Presbyterian minister. John was a physician,
and the remaining sons were farmers. David married Olive Cartwright. He took an active part in religious meetings.
Notwithstanding his earnest piety, he would sometimes allow his temper to get the mastery, as in the following
He with several of his neighbors were on their way to Poughkeepsie, each with a load of pork. They fell in with
a man of giant proportions, who felt his importance, and was disposed to abuse the whole party. They soon met a
wagon in which were two little boys. The big man locked wheels with the boys, and then swung his whip, and uttered
such profane epithets as frightened them. David Eggleston, being the nearest, came to their relief; and then, turning
to the man upbraided him for his ungentlemanly conduct. Thereupon the fellow jumped out of his wagon for the purpose
of giving David a sound beating for thus presuming to meddle in his affairs; but he soon found, to his sorrow,
that he had got the wrong David, at whose hands he received a severe thrashing.
This was their first meeting. Their second occurred about twelve years afterward, at an auction at Paine's Mill,
a short distance below Millerton, when the man said to David, "They tell me you are the man that abused me
so on the road to Poughkeepsie." David, who was a little deaf, replied - "Abused you, did you say, or
bruised you; I remember of bruising a man." "Well, both," was the reply; "you struck me with
a stone." "Oh, yes," said David; and raising his fist continued, "that 's the stone I struck
you with, it was an Eggleseone." Two of David's grandsons are now Methodist. ministers.
Elder John Leland was a Baptist preacher, and came from the western part of Massachusetts. While living in Massachusetts,
the people of his town made an immense cheese, weighing some five hundred pounds, and commissioned Leland to present
it to Thomas Jefferson, then President of the United States. He received it graciously, and in turn sent a piece
of it to the Governor of each State.
Joshua and Ephraim Hamblin owned the farm on which is situated the Mount Riga ore beds. Wm. Tonkey came from France,
and bought a large tract east of the center line of the Oblong, extending northward to Boston Corners. He had three
sons, Daniel, Anthony, and Nicholas, and one daughter. Nicholas was a singular character. He was a firm believer
in witches. They appeared to him in the shape of cats, woodchucks, and fleas. He believed all women having black
eyes and black hair were witches. One Mrs. Hamblin, who joined farms with him, was the worst of the whole lot.
This aged lady, then seventy five years old, wished to go to the house of a neighbor, and took a back road to avoid
going by a house in which some people were sick with the small-pox. Tonkey met her, and cut her on the forehead
so as to cause the blood to flow, for the purpose, as he said, of breaking the enchantment. It is supposed that
he hid the money in the rocks that Byron Bishop found a few years ago. His affair with the old lady cost him several
John and David Buttolph were brothers. The former was an influential member in the M. E. Church. He had six sons,
viz: Asa; Warren; John, who was a Baptist minister, and preached several years in this town; Milton, a Methodist
preacher in the early part of his life, but who afterwards joined:the Presbyterians; Morris, and David.
Elder Truman Hopkins for many years preached in the Baptist Church of this town. He had three sons and two daughters.
The sons were named Enos, Truman, and Joseph. The ancestors of the Ketcham family bought a tract of five hundred
acres in this town for five hundred pounds, a part of which is now owned by the Egglestons and Sheldons. Ketcham
erected a mill on a small stream, the head of the Oblong River. He also kept tavern. He had twelve children. His
son Noah became crazy, and cut his throat with a razor, at Pine Plains. The razor was afterward in possession of
Josiah Halstead. Simeon Kelsey owned what is known as the Camp farm, and was a man of considerable wealth. He left
three children, two sons and a daughter. To the latter, he gave at his death his whole property, except ten dollars
to each of his sons.
Josiah Wilcox lived on the farm now occupied by Alanson Culver. Jonathan Close came from Putnam County. He had
three sons, Jonathan, Reuben, and Solomon, and a daughter that married a Williams, a gunsmith at Boston Corners.
Joel Rogers lived near Boston Corners.
Nathaniel Lathrop married a daughter of Elder Dakin, and lived near Mount Riga Station. He moved from this town
Three brothers by the name of Culver came from France, and settled in this country. Elisha Culver was a descendant
of one of the brothers, and settled near the old Baptist Church at Spencers Corners. Both himself and wife were
members of the Episcopal Church. He was a Justice of the Peace under King George. He used to draw up many of the
legal documents for the people. The family have preserved a deed written by him which is dated 1764. He had three
sons and four daughters; Elisha, Jun., Joseph, and John; Hannah, Sarah, Martha, and Polly. Elisha had a son who
became a sea captain, and who died on the voyage from Batavia to Philadelphia. John Culver became a Methodist preacher,
having been received into the church July, 1788. He was licensed to exhort July, 1790, by Rev. John Bloodgood,
and was accepted as a local preacher by Rev. Freeborn Garrettson, in August of the following year. When John Culver
began to preach there was no Methodist Church in this town. He held his meetings in barns, school houses, and private
dwellings. He preached in Ancram, Pine Plains, Milan, Copake, Mount Washington, Sheffield, Salisbury, Sharon, Canaan,
Amenia, and Stanford.
According to his Journal, he solemnized over two hundred marriages, and probably preached over eight hundred funeral
sermons. He preached at the time of the epidemic in Ancram, when the deaths averaged three a week. The Methodists
then built their houses of worship very plain. When about to erect one at Salisbury, they asked John M. Holley
to contribute for the purpose, who declared his willingness if they would "build anything but a sheep pen."
The society have now two neat houses of worship in the town. In the year 1807, and for some time thereafter, one
traveling Methodist preacher supplied the following places with preaching once a fortnight, viz:- Pine Plains,
Milan, Ancram (where they built the first house of worship in that town), Copake, Hillsdale, Amenia, Salisbury,
Sharon, and Canaan.
Elisha Driggs was a tanner, and came from Middletown, Conn., and lived on the James Halstead place. Thomas Haywood
moved on the George Dakin farm about the year 1802. He had five sons and nine daughters that grew to years of maturity.
Most of them were members of the Methodist Church. The traveling minister used to preach at his house once a fortnight.
A resident of his vicinity died, who bequeathed his property to a school district, to be expended in the erection
of a school house. Haywood promised $50 more, provided they would build it large enough to hold meetings in, which
they did. This was in the year 1807, and the building is yet standing, we believe.
Agrippa Martin lived on the David Eggleston farm. He married a daughter of Elder Hopkins. Holley had two sisters,
who married, respectively, Philip Spencer and Elisha Colver. Holley had four sons, Luther, Josiah, John and Newman.
Luther married a daughter of Elder Dakin, and lived in Salisbury. He left five sons: John M. was a merchant, and
owned a furnace at Salisbury; Edward O. was Sheriff of Columbia County; Newman was a farmer; Horace became a Presbyterian
minister, and Orville was a lawyer.
Josiah Holley lived on the Douglass farm, at the lower end of Rudds Pond, and moved from it during the Revolution
to the town of Ancram. Newman belonged to the British Light Infantry, and at the dose of the war emigrated to Nova
Scotia. John Holley, Jun., took an active part in that struggle. He was at the battle of Saratoga, and a number
of other engagements.
About one hundred and fifty rods from the west line of Northeast, in the town of Ancram, are the "Cave"
and "Oven," two natural curiosities which attract numbers of visitors. The cave was discovered by a man
named Holmes. He was hunting; and hearing his dog barking in a peculiar manner, he went up to him, but all he could
see was a hole in the ground. Holmes pushed his dog into the opening, and went on, thinking the animal would soon
follow him; but he never returned. This excited some curiosity; and one day some young men went to examine the
cave. They advanced a few feet, got frightened, and scrambled out as quickly as possible. They said they saw some
barrels in the further end of the cavern, and heard strange noises, and believed it to be a den of thieves. Afterward
John Holley, Moses Dolph and John Culver, went into the cave, and at the farther extremity found a spring and the
remains of a dog. After this it was frequently visited.
About this time the State appointed some men to examine it, to determine its fitness for a prison, like one in
Connecticut. They decided it was too damp to be used for that purpose. The oven lies about eighty rods west of
the cave. It is a piece of detached stone, and is so named from its shape, which resembles a large oven. A few
years ago a geologist visited the locality; he gave it as his opinion that the oven was formed by the action of
At the foot of Winchell Mountain, near the Snyder tan yard, at the time of the Revolution, stood a log hut. Sixty
rods from this stood another. In the vicinity dwelt the Hartwell family. These three dwellings were the only ones
in that immediate neighborhood; they stood in the edge of the forest, each in a small clearing. Back of them the
woods were filled with Indians, friendly and unfriendly to the white people. These pioneer settlers were staunch
Whigs. A little to the north of them in the town of Ancram, lived two or three families, who were Tories of the
rankest type, who did not scruple to add murder to their list of crimes. A plan was matured, by which they were
to surround the Whig dwellings in the dead of of night, and assisted by some of the Indians, murder the families
in cold blood. The night appointed for the execution of their horrible intentions at length came. Some friendly
Indians having revealed the project to the Hartwells and their neighbors, the latter had armed themselves, and
had all congregated at one point. As they numbered quite a formidable force, the attacking party did not dare molest
At another time the white people were advised by a friendly squaw, who had stolen away from the Indian village
for that purpose in the silence of the night, that some Tories were lying in wait in the vicinity, to pick them
off by stealth. The next morning the Hartwells to the number of three or four set out for the bush in which they
were informed a Tory was secreted. They entered in different directions, and commenced to "beat up the game."
The only avenue of escape left to the cow-boy was across a clearing, some rods in width. One man, an excellent
marksman, was stationed to watch this point. Presently a shout announced the game had started; almost immediately
he broke cover, and ran at full speed across the clearing. The man fired upon him, but the fleeing Tory only sped
the faster, and was soon lost to sight in the opposite thicket. They pursued him for more than a mile, guided by
the blood he left in his track, and then lost hint No information was ever received as to who their enemy was,
or what was the result of the wound. The Whigs were never again molested from that source.
Connected with Spencers Corners is a tradition touching the untimely fate of a pedlar. He had been observed to
have quite a large amount of jewelry, and was believed to have had considerable money besides. He was last seen
near this village late one afternoon, and was never heard of more alive. His sudden disappearance, together with
the fact of his carrying so many valuables, gave rise to suspicions of foul play. His body was searched for, and
inquiries made after him in the neighboring villages and townships, but all efforts proved fruitless. After the
excitement had passed over, and the incident nearly forgotten, some parties had occasion to look into an old well
in the village, and there discovered an object which proved to be the body of the missing pedlar. The poor fellow
had been robbed and murdered, and for want of a better hiding place, his body had been thrown into this unused
well. The murderers were never found out, and the case will probably ever remain a mystery.
After the Moravians the Methodists held the first religious meetings in this town. The first sermon preached was
in a house which stood east of the present residence of William James, Esq., near Sharon Station. East of this
stood the old Slawson Tavern; and still farther east was the stone house known as the Ray House. One of the early
preachers was familiarly known as Billy Hibbard. He was once met by a Presbyterian clergyman, who rather sneeringly
inquired to what order he belonged. "I belong to the kneeling order," was the prompt reply of the unpolished
but honest Hibbard.
Probably the oldest house in town is the brick house built by Ezra Clark, grandfather of Hiram Clark, Esq., who
came from Lisbon, in Conn., about the time of the Revolution, and is now occupied, we believe, by one Tanner. A
family of Wheelers lived west and south of Indian Pond. The Goodriches located near Northeast Centre, and the Collins
family towards Amenia. The Spencers owned the farm on which Hiram Clark resides. Spencers Corners is a hamlet named
after that family, and was formerly quite a business place. The town meetings were sometimes held at Northeast
Centre before the division of Northeast was made.
In the vicinity of the Sharon ore bed are several old dwellings, whose ancient style and dilapidated appearance
show them to be centenarians. One of them stands on the very brink of the pit, and to the observer seems ready
to topple over into the abyss at any moment.
Nov. 6th, 1751, nine persons constituted themselves into a Baptist Church, in the Philipse Patent, now Putnam
County. Here they were much disturbed by outside trouble. They were invited to remove to Northeast Precinct. The
pastor and others visited this locality, and were persuaded that "God was calling them to go up and possess
the land." Here the very log cabin overflowed with plenty, and here no standing order could bind the conscience.
The reasons for removal seemed so weighty, and the invitation so cordial, that it was: decided the change should
be at once made. Previous to removal, however, they dismissed several of their number to form another church in
the vicinity, over which Brother Cole was ordained as pastor On the 1st day of May, 1773, they held their first
covenant meeting in Northeast at the house or Rev. Simon Dakin, pastor, near "Spencers Clearing." Here
again they set up their banner, and for three years held public religious services.
During the year 1775 occurred the events which led to the Revolution. Among those that signed the patriots' pledge
we find the names of James Winchell, Benjamin Covey, Ensly Simmons, Elisha Mead, David Hamblin, the Knickerbackers,
John Fulton, Ebenezer Crane, Smith Simmons, Israel Thompson, Nathaniel Mead, and others. The Maltby bed of iron
ore, then known as the Dakin bed, had been opened several years before, but was abandoned. It was this year re-opened,
and iron taken out for the casting of cannon for the patriot army.
In 1776, they prepared to build a sanctuary. Simon Dakin, their pastor, donated them the land now occupied by the
old graveyard at Spencer's Corners, and on this they laid the foundation. While slavery was multiplying its victims,
the church began to feel the promptings of humanity against the slave trade; and at a church meeting held Sept.
24th, 1778, they declared slavery to be contrary to the gospel, and voted they would do nothing to uphold it. This
is the first public act for the abolition of slavery within the County, of which we have any knowledge.
In 1780, Elder E. Wood, and others, withdrew from the Northeast Church, and organized a branch in Amenia Precinct.
Wood became their pastor.
After Elder Simon Dakin had served the church for nearly thirty years, he was permitted in 1782 to see the greatest
revival known under his ministry. He baptized thirty one candidates during that rear. In 1786, a single case of
"Woman's Rights" was brought before the church, and a sister was excluded for not obeying her husband,
and usurping authority over him. A serious division of sentiment occurred the following year, and a council met
at their house of worship to advise with them. As the result, fifteen were dismissed to form a new church, which
they did at what is now Northeast Centre, on ground now occupied by the Methodists. In 1797, the church so many
years blessed in the ministrations of Brother Dakin, followed sadly his remains to their last resting place.
During the five years subsequent to 1803, Rev. John Leland moved into the town, purthased land, and took charge
of the church. He preached on the Sabbath at the meeting house, and on week day evenings in the large kitchen of
the:house now the Presbyterian parsonage. In 1808 the church was visited by Elder Isaac Fuller, of Roxbury, Conn.,
and a great revival followed. Over one hundred conversions were announced, sixty seven baptized, and the membership
augmented to eighty eight. Among the converts was James. Winchell. The same year, Brother I. Allerton, from the
Hillsdale Church, came among them, was invited to the pastorate, and afterwards ordained.
James M. Winchell, graduate of Brown University, was in 1812, licensed to preach. He was ordained the following
year at Bristol, R. I., and soon after was installed as pastor of the First Baptist Church in Boston. The same
year Brother John Buttolph was licensed to preach. On the 4th of May, 1814, he was ordained, and began his pastoral
labors among them. He continued with them eleven years, when he removed west. In 1821 a revival came, and Buttolph
baptized sixty six, among them John I. Fulton, who was next year licensed and sent forth an approved minister of
the Gospel. Seth Thompson was licensed to preach, and subsequently became a successful pastor in Connecticut.
The numerical strength of the church nad again declined, when, in 1826, Elder Thomas Winter came among them, accepted
the call of the church, and served them a period of nearly thirteen years. In 1828, Elder Winter led them to consider
the matter of building a new house of worship. A cordial response met his call, and James Winchell, Martin Lawrence,
and Samuel Brown, were appointed a building committee.
The house being completed it was, on the 12th of August, 1829, dedicated by appropriate ceremonies. Elder Thomas
Winter preached the sermon, and Rufus Babcock, D. D., assisted in the services. The building cost about $5,000,
of which amount James Winchell donated $1,700. It was built of brick, thoroughly constructed, furnished with an
excellent bell, and was for many years a blessing and credit to the community.
In 1831, James Winchell and wife gave to the trustees a house and fourteen acres of land, for the use of the pastors
of the church.
About the year 1866, the church voted to sell the old meeting house, purchase a new site, and erect a new sanctuary
in the growing village of Millerton. On the 19th of August, they met for the last time in the old house at Spencers
Corners. Precious, tender, and touching reminiscences filled their minds as they realized "It is the last
time." Then with a solemn step they went out from the beloved place, and the old brick church became a thing
of the past. Nov. 4th, 1867, one hundred and sixteen years after its organization, the church met to lay the corner
stone of its fourth, and present house of worship.
Thus have we given, in brief, the history of a church which covers in its existence a century and a quarter, and
is a record worthy of profound study. It opens the door into the hidden mysteries of the world's great life. In
it we behold the motive power which influenced, controlled, and shaped society. In it we see a religious institution
coming into contact with the pride and voluptuousness of the world.
The year 1642 appears, in the history of America in an aspect fitted to arrest the attention. It is a scene of
religious bitterness, fury, and persecution, which rises to sight. A number of families, guilty of no crime, who
simply stood up for the defense and enjoyment of religious liberty, were so disturbed, harassed, proscribed, that
they left Massachusetts, and obtained permission of the "Dutch authorities" to settle in New York Province,
there to reside and be favored with the free exercise of religion. This was, to some of them at least, but martyrdom
in another form, for they were speedily attacked by Indians, and many brought to suffer death. In this section
of country, among the descendants of these people, we trace the origin and progress of our spiritual ancestry.
The oldest mill in the town of Northeast was that built by James Winchell, already mentioned, and which stood at
what is now called Irondale. The house now the residence of Orville Wakeman, Esc., was built over a century ago
by the Buttolph family. John Buttolph had a consumptive sister. When living in this house a hook was driven into
the wall: to this a rope was attached, by the assistance of which the invalid could raise herself to a sitting
posture. The hook still remains in its place, and the proprietor says it shall remain there as long as he lives.
Mr. Wakeman has in his possession a pair of spectacles belonging to the Hartwell family over two hundred years
old, having been brought from the "old country" by the ancestors of the Hartwells. They were made, apparently,
by a blacksmith, strong and durable.
A part of Indian Pond lies in the east border of this town, connected with which are some interesting Indian reminiscences,
of which mention has already been made in the chapter on Pine Plains. The writer visited the locality in the autum
of 1876. The site of the Moravian Mission House near the west shore of the pond is now occupied by a field of stubble.
The tombstones that once marked the graves of some of the early missionaries, in an adjacent burial ground, have
been removed. Some of these slabs may now be seen standing against a wall in a neighboring field. One of these
was a few years ago reset in a slate rock, near the site of the mission, but the cattle finally displaced the stone,
and it broke in the fall. The mission house was afterwards occupied as a schoolhouse. It was removed previous to
the recollection of the oldest person now living in the neighborhood. This locality together with that of Wechquadnack,
on the opposite shore of the pond, are yearly visited by many, who find an interest in the "quaint but forgotten
lore" of the earlier occupants of our country.