History of Crown Point, New York (Part 2)
FROM:HISTORY OF ESSEX COUNTY
EDITED BY: H. P. SMITH
PUBLISHED BY D. MASON & CO. PUBLISHERS, SYRACUSE, NY 1885



The crown Point Iron Company. - The second organization under this name was effected in October, 1872, under "an act to authorize the formation of corporations for manufacturing, mining, mechanical or chemical purposes." The capital stock was $500,000 in 5,000 shares. The first board of trustees was as follows: - Thomas Dickson, Scranton, Pa.; George Talbot Olyphant, of the city of New York; John Hammond, of Crown Point, N. Y.; Thomas Hammond, of Crown Point, N. Y.; and Smith M. Weed, of Plattsburg, N. Y. The 5,000 shares of stock were distributed as follows: - John Hammond, 1,250; Thomas Hammond, 1,250; George T. Olyphant, 1,200; Thomas Dickson, 1,200; S. M. Weed, 100.

In November, 1872, the stock of the company was increased to $1,200,000 and in September, 1873, to $1,500,000. The present officers of the company are as follows: L. G. B. Cannon, president; H. M. Olmstead, secretary and treasurer; A. L. In man, general manager; H. L. Reed, assistant general manager. Following are the names of the superintendents of the various departments of the company's works: Furnaces, W. S. Green; mines, Thomas Montague; railroad, James McMann; forge, James W. Stower; machine shop, C. W. Sanders; mines store, Theo. H. Locke; lake store, F. H. Pierce.

The company's forge of eight fires is located at Ironville (formerly Irondale) on the line of their narrow gauge railroad and midway between the blast furnace (which is on the lake shore) and the mines at Hammondville. The product of the blast furnaces is known as Bessemer pig iron, and is used to a great extent in Troy, N. Y., and Scranton, Pa. At the forge the product comprises blooms and billets. The iron turned out by the company is not excelled for the manufacture of Bessemer steel in this country. The capacity of the two furnaces may be roughly set down at one hundred and fifteen tons per day of pig iron. The capacity of the mines at present is 75,000 tons annually. The works and the mines are not now running to their full capacity on account of the general depressed condition of the iron industry. The old Penfield bed is about exhausted, but prospecting and exploration has been constantly continued in the vicinity and new deposits discovered, which may be said to be practically inexhaustible.

In addition to its many other benefits to the town it has built a church and school-room at Hammondville at a cost of about $3,000, which was donated to the employees about the mines.

The railroad forming a connection with the main line along the lake and running to Hammondville was begun in the fall of 1872. It forms a part of the property of the Iron Company.

The point of land from which the name of the town is derived, exclusive of the ruins of the fort as before explained, is also owned by this company, who purchased it chiefly for the valuable stone which are quarried there.

As the lumber interest became less profitable in the town and particularly as the land already cleared became more productive and easier of cultivation, the inhabitants turned their attention more and more to agriculture. A decided change in this respect is noticeable from about the year 1830 and a little later. The farmers found occupation winters in hauling lumber or ore which added in a substantial manner to their incomes. Thus, as Mr. Spaulding puts it, "Vermont lost her Algerines." The town at the present time is, in an agricultural sense, one of the foremost of the county, and her dairy products, which are considerable, stand well in the markets.

As the lands were cleared and the inhabitants became more prosperous, the rude log houses gave way to the neat frame cottages and many of these in turn to more pretentious and valuable houses.

The people of the town needed railroad communication, and it is a peculiarity of American communities that when two or more of them desire railroad connection with each other, or with more distant points, the men and means are forthcoming for their construction.

The Whitehall and Plattsburg railroad was surveyed in 1861 and work was begun on it in this town on the 20th of February, 1869. In addition to aid received from the State and the bonds of other towns, Crown Point bonded herself for $50,000. This action was opposed by many good citizens who felt that the town was still sufficiently burdened with the then recent war expenses; but a majority favored the enterprise and it was carried through. The section from Ticonderoga to Port Henry was completed within two years from its commencement. In 1871 it appeared impossible to extend the road farther without other aid and it was, therefore, leased to the Vermont Central Company. The lake was bridged at Ticonderoga and a line built from there (Addison Junction) to the Vermont Central's main line. The New York and Canada railroad was surveyed in 1871, but as its line was to run almost parallel with the Whitehall and Plattsburg road from Ticonderoga to Port Henry, the former company bought the lease and a consolidation was effected by an act of the Legislature in 1873.

The following named citizens of this town contributed the sums stated towards the building of the first railroad: Chas. F. Hammond & Sons, $12,500; E. S. Bogue, $3,000; Penfield & Harwood, $2,000; C. P. Fobes & Co., $1,000; J. C. Breevoort, $500; Crown Point Iron Company, $1,000.

As the reader of this work has already learned in the pages devoted to the military history of the county, the town of Crown Point was not deaf to the call of the country in her time of trial. The leading men of the town gave up their time, their money and their personal service in the field with a degree of patriotism and generous liberality not excelled in any locality in the surrounding country; and the town officials in various public meetings seconded the action of the Board of Supervisors in the payment of bounties sufficiently large to induce prompt enlistments to fill the quotas under the various calls of the' president for volunteers. The widows and children of those who fell on the battle-field were not forgotten, the town records show that those who remained at home were ready to share the burdens of the great struggle. Of the 650 voters then in the town, 290 enlisted and sixty-seven laid down their lives for their country. The reader is referred to the military chapter in preceding pages for details of the subject.

The early records of this town have been destroyed, depriving us of a valuable source of historical matter and the records of early town meetings and officers. We are, however, enabled to give the list of supervisors from 1818 as follows: 1818 to 1821 inclusive, Samuel Murdock; 1822, Samuel Renne; 1823 to 1825 inclusive, Samuel Murdock; 1826, Chas. F. Hammond; 1827, Amasa B. Gibson; 1828, C. F. Hammond; 1829, Amasa B. Gibson; 1830, C. F. Hammond; 1831, Chilion A. Trimble; 1832, C. F. Hammond; 1833- 34, Chilion A. Trimble; 1835, John C. Hammond; 1836-37, George Brown; 1838, Chilion A. Trimble; 1839, Juba Howe; 1840, Henry Haile; 1841, Juba Howe; 1842-43, George Trimble; 1844-45, John C. Hammond; 1846, John B. Goodrich; 1847-48, John B. Brooks; 1849-50, Wm. H. Dyke; 1851- 52, Samuel Russell; 1853 to 1856 inclusive, John C. Hammond; 1857-58, Levi Rhoades; 1859, James F. Moore; 1860 to 1873 inclusive, Julius C. Brevoort; 1874-75, Theo. Hunter; 1876 to 1878 inclusive, Elmer J. Barker; 1879-80-81, C. L. Hammond; 1882 to the present time, Julius C. Brevoort.

The present officers of the town are as follows: -
Town clerk - Garrison W. Foote.
Justices of the peace - Clark M. Pease, E. R. Eaton.
Assessor - Norman Bly.
Collector - Clark W. Little.
Commissioners of highways - - E. Brooks.
Overseer of the poor - Samuel Buck.
Auditors - John C. Burdick, Zephaniah K. Townsend.
Inspectors of election, Dist. No. 1 - L. B. Carter, Oliver C. Pond.
Inspectors of election, Dist. No. 2 - Wm. C. Northey, Frank T. Locke.
Constables - C. W. Little, Charles Garvey, Viceroy Moore, 2d, Edward Bradford, Thomas Hocking.
Game constable - Hiram Cheney.
Pound master - Albert Peasely.
Sealer of weights and measures - George C. Robbins.
Commissioner of excise - Hiram Newell.

Lawyers - Crown Point does not appear to have been a fruitful locality for the legal fraternity. The inhabitants have as a rule been peaceful and little given to the differences and disputes that have to be settled at the bar of justice; and the attorneys have generally turned their faces towards the county seat, or other more enticing fields. "'Squire" Chauncey Fenton practiced law here for many years and was justice of the peace. He has left behind the record of an honorable man. His son, bearing his father's name, is a justice of the peace and attorney in the village of Ticonderoga. Amos Bigelow and Harvey Tuttle were former lawyers at Crown Point Center and taught school at an early day. Libeus Haskill is also remembered as an attorney of much native ability. Judge A. C. Hand, who passed the later portion of his life at Elizabethtown, began his professional career at the Center.

W. F. Hickey is at present the only practicing attorney of the place. He studied with B. B. Bishop, of Moriah, and was admitted to the bar in May 1879. He followed his profession for about two years in Minerville and then removed to this place.

Physicians. - Rodoiphus Field, one of the early settlers at Crown Point Centre, was probably the first permanently located physician in the town. Dr. Cornwell located very early about one-half mile from the Centre on the old east and west road. Both of these physicians removed from the town. Dr. John R. Goodrich practiced here a few years and removed to Michigan, and Dr. Henry Hall removed, after some years' practice, to California. They were succeeded by Dr. H. K. White, who lived at the Center and died there. Dr. Jacob Thrasher mingled the practice of medicine with "pettifogging" for a number of years.

Dr. George Paige, of Crown Point Center, is a graduate of Middlebury Medical College, Vermont, 1840. He attended lectures at Hanover, N. H., and Woodstock, Vt. In 1842 he graduated from the Medical department of Yale College. His practice began and continued seven years at Pittsford, Vt. He then removed to Kentucky, coming to Crown Point in 1853, where he now enjoys the confidence of the community and has a large practice.

Dr. Joseph Warner studied for his profession at Castleton, Vt., with Dr. M. Goldsmith. He graduated from the Medical College at that place in 1853, and practiced four years thereafter in Louisiana. He then removed to Bridport, Vt., where he followed his profession twenty-two years, coming to Crown Point in 1881. His success here has been gratifying.

Dr. E. R. Eaton attended lectures at the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in the winter of 1878-79, and at the New York Homeopathic College in the winters of 1880-81 and 1881-82, graduating in March of the latter year. He located in Burlington, Vt., in the summer of 1882 and came to Crown Point in January, 1883.

Dr. Melville Turner is located at Hammondville. His professional studies began at Crown Point and he graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1873 and began practice at Crown Point in January, 1874. In 1877 he removed to Lewis, returning in March, 1879, and has been at Hammondville since that time.

Dr. Enoch Kent came from Vermont to Ironville a number of years ago. He refuses statistics of his career for this work.

Present business, etc., of Crown Point. - At the "Corners," as it is termed, the principal store is kept by Elmer J. Barker, in the old brick Hammond store, where J. and T. Hammond did business for many years. Mr. Barker, in company with J. W. Wyman, bought out the Messrs. Hammonds in 1870, and in 1881 Mr. Barker purchased the interest of his partner.

Lewis & Elkins keep a general store, succeeding Mr. Lewis in the spring of 1884.

H. F. Davis has a clothing, hat and cap and furnishing goods store, which he opened in 1882, where Lewis & Elkins now are. He removed to his own building in 1884.

F. E. Huestis began the hardware •rade in his present store, which he owns, in 1875. His stock is general hardware and furniture, the only establishment of the kind in the town.

Fred. H. Ingalls began the drug business in July, 1878. He was preceded by Dr. E. L. Strong, now of Keeseville. The latter was associated for a time with a Mr. Nichols.

E. M. Johnson conducts a photograph gallery which he has had for about ten years.

S. P. McIntyre carries on wagon-making, undertaking, etc.

Taylor Brothers carry on shoe-making and selling.

In 1818 a Widow Wilcox kept a tavern which stood between the street line and what is now the Hammond chapel and near to the street. This building was subsequently purchased by Mr. Hammond, removed across the street and rebuilt into the residence formerly occupied by Thomas Hammond. After the erection of the Crown Point House it was kept for a time by a Mr. Benedict, who removed from the town. The present proprietor, A. S. Viall, has kept the house to the eminent satisfaction of the public since 1866.

The Spaulding House was opened in 1884 by McNutt & Kelly. It was originally built by Isaac Spaulding.

A. J. Wyman began a banking business in April, 1881. His establishment is a great convenience to the inhabitants of the town.

Post- Offices. - The post-office was established at Crown Point early in the century, but the year we have been unable to learn, as well as the name of the first postmaster. Charles F. Hammond had the office before 1833 and officiated for many years. He was succeeded by George Brown and he by Chauncey Fenton, who was in the position about four years. George Brown then filled the office again until 1861, since which date the present postmaster, W. D. Capron, has occupied the position and grown gray in the service.

Post-offices have been established since the organization of the iron company at Hammondville, where T. H. Locke officiates and keeps the store; and at Ironville where James N. Stower has the office and is general manager for the company.

At Crown Point Center the office was established early in the century. Henry Wyman is postmaster and Miss Ingalls deputy.

Press. - There was no newspaper in the town until the year 1878, when, on the 1st of January, R. W. Billett issued the first regular number of the Crown Point Budget. Probably no public journal ever made its first appearance under more unpromising circumstances, if we except the fact that the iron and other interests of the town were then in a very thriving condition. The first issue of the Budget was an eight-page sheet, but had only two short columns to the page. Mr. Billett was not even a practical printer; but he had natural aptitude for both the practical and the literary part of his work, which, coupled with industry and perseverance, enabled him to surmount many formidable obstacles. His paper was a success and he received the support of the community. In the following March he enlarged the paper, making it three columns to the page and four pages. In October, 1879, he again felt justified in making a further enlargement and two columns were added to each page. September 15th, 1880, the name of the paper was changed to the Essex County Times and Budget, the latter title being dropped in March, 1882. When the name was first changed another column was added to each page, and on the date last mentioned, still another was added, making the Times a handsome seven-column sheet. The proprietor has increased his printing material as his business grew, and now runs two power presses with other excellent facilities. The Times is Republican in politics and has a large circulation and advertising patronage.

The Hammond Chapel. - This institution is the former residence of Charles
F. Hammond. It was built by him about the year 1837, and for those days and much later was a conspicuously fine dwelling. Since the death of Mrs. Hammond (1882), General John Hammond and his two surviving sisters presented the property to the First Congregational Society as a memorial of their mother. The gift was made in July, 1883. The upper portion of the house has been fitted up as a hail and library rooms, in which is established the chapel library, which is an outgrowth of a small circulating 1ibrary that was in existence here. Mr. Hammond and others have circulated many valuable books and the institution promises to be of great benefit to the town.

Forest Dale Cemetery. - The village of Crown Point is provided with a beautiful cemetery, for the benefit of which the inhabitants are indebted to General John Hammond. It is situated on a picturesque eminence just off from the main street and is laid out into two hundred lots, among which are winding avenues and paths. Many of the lots have already been taken and are beautified with handsome memorials of the dead.

The Soldiers' Monument. - This beautiful memorial of the dead soldiers of this town is also a monument to the patriotism and liberality of Charles F. Hammond. When the war broke out no man came forward more promptly to aid the government in its peril, than he. All of the original horses for company H of the Fifth New York Cavalry were purchased with funds advanced by him and he in various other ways testified how deep was his sympathy with his country in her trial. When the struggle was over he was prompted by the same feelings to erect the beautiful monument to those who had fallen on the battle field. It is of Westerley granite, thirty-four feet in height, and surmounted by a statue of a soldier in uniform with his gun at rest. On three of its sides are inscribed the names of the dead heroes and on the fourth the following inscription : -

"TO THE

MEMORY OF THE BRAVE VOLUNTEERS OF CROWN POINT,

WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AS A

SACRIFICE FOR THEIR COUNTRY AND HUMANITY IN THE SUPPRESSION OF THE GREAT REBELLION

OF 1861-1866.
THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED BY THEIR GRATEFUL FELLOW CITIZEN,
C. F. HAMMOND."


Trotting Park. - On the 8th of May, 18-, the "Put's Point Trotting Park Association" was incorporated with a capital stock of $10,000.

CHURCHES.

Baptist Church, Crown Point. -The first meetings of the Baptists of this town were held in "Slab Hollow" school-house. As a result of this early work seven or eight were baptized and united with the Ticonderoga society. The organization of the society here, about 1827, was effected under the missionary labors of Rev. E. Andrews. The society comprised fifteen members. The first preacher was Ebenezer Mott, who at that time suffered considerable persecution because of his Baptist proclivities. He staid here but one year. In the year 1831 meetings were held in the Union church. By the year 1836 thirty-one new members were added to the church. Down to the year 1863 the number of members received into the society was 266. In 1867, for various causes, the membership had fallen to thirty-two and the church closed its active work. During its career C. A. Hewitt, David Foot and Ira D. Burwell were licensed by it to preach. It was chiefly through the persistent efforts and liberality of John Burwell that the church was long kept in the Essex and Champlain Baptist Association; he went about and offered to give dollar for dollar on all that might be subscribed for the sustenance of the society. Deacon Wood and Mr. Burwell bought the rights of the Congregationalists in the "old white meeting-house," until the Baptists owned nearly all. Six pastors were called to the church: Ebenezer Mott, L. Smith, J. Goodrich, Charles Berry, I. D. Burwell, Ira P. Kellogg. The report for forty-three years notes fifty-seven baptisms and forty-three added.

The present brick edifice was built largely through the instrumentality of the late Colonel Job L. Howe and the Messrs. Hammonds. It is sufficiently commodious and pleasantly situated, fronting the village park.

First Congregational Church, Crown Point. - This church was organized on the 10th of September, 1804, by Benjamin Wooster, of Vermont, missionary. The original number of members was sixteen. Others soon joined, and the number gradually though slowly increased from year to year. For many years the stated ministrations of the gospel were not enjoyed except for limited periods of six months or a year, more or less. The church, however, regularly maintained public worship on the Sabbath, looked well to the discipline of its members, and attended with much regularity to the ordinances. The first settled pastor was Rev. Samuel C. Bradford, who was ordained June 26th, 1822. His labors were commenced the year previous. He was regularly dismissed the 14th of June, 1826. On the 8th of October following Stephen L. Herrick was settled as pastor and continued in that position until 1852. Rev. Ira D. Burwell, "a Baptist minister," supplied the pulpit for six months. Rev. John Bradshaw was settled as pastor, 1853, and left in 1866. Willard Child, D.D., acted as supply from September, 1866, until September, 1873. W. H. Utley supplied the pulpit from September, 1873, for one year and a half; Rev. F. P. Tomkins from 1875 for one year and eleven months. Rev. I. L. Beman was settled as pastor in 1877 and continued until 1881. Rev. J. W. Cowan succeeded until 1883, in April of which year Rev. James Deane assumed the pastorate and still continues his labor. The church has a prosperous Sabbath-school.

Following are the names of the first sixteen members of this church: Joshua Moss, Samuel Moss, Israel Branch, Dennis Meagher, Martha Wiswell, Robert Hopkins, Phebe Hopkins, Ichabod Brooks, Sarah Brooks, Aaron Townsend, Phebe Townsend, Moriah Wilcox, Mary Wilcox, Elenor Morrow, Martha Moss, Abigail Moss, Eli Moffit.

The brick church, now occupied by the Congregationalists of Crown Point, was erected in 1833 and dedicated February 13th, 1834. It is a substantial, commodious and good-looking edifice, in excellent condition. The value of the church property, including parsonage and the Hammond chapel, is $12,000. A prosperous Sabbath-school is connected with the church. Revivals of widespread beneficent influence were experienced by this society in 1832, 1836, 1841, 1855 and 1878.
Present Trustees - General John Hammond, Z. K. Townsend, E. J. Barker.
Deacons - S. F. Murdock, George Page, W. G. Foote, Z. K. Townsend.

In 1843 the church was built at Ironville and dedicated October 11th of that year. Sarell Wood was the first preacher.

Second congregational Church of crown Point. - As early as 1827 Rev. S. L. Herrick, pastor of the First Congregational Church of Crown Point, began holding religious services at the place now known as Ironville, in a large hail in the house of Deacon Allen Penfield. These services were more or less regularly maintained till the spring of 1843, when it was decided to organize a second Congregational society and erect a house of worship. The first meeting of the society was held April 15th, 1843. The trustees chosen were Allen Penfleld, John Taylor and Jonathan Train; and these with Timothy Taft and J. E. Moore were the building committee. The by-laws and act of incorporation were drawn up by Messrs. Penfield, Taft and Harwood. A. P. Harwood was the first clerk, and he continued in this office most of the time for nearly a quarter of a century, his last date in the records being April 10th, 1865. Others who have filled the office are James F. Moore, J. A. Penfield, Hervey Spencer, E. J. Morgan, D. V. N. Harwood, H. F. Turner, Thomas J. McMurtry, A. D. Cady, 'William Brando and Charles McIntyre.

The trustees, in addition to those already named, have been Timothy Taft, Asa Crain, James F. Moore, A. M. Bunnell, Hervey Spencer, Albert Taft, Thomas B. Locke, J. A. Penfield, E. J. Morgan, H. F. Turner, Levi R. Dudley, T. J. McMurtry, and J. N. Stower. Philetus Sawyer, now United States Senator from Wisconsin, was one of the original members and for two years collector of the society.

The house of worship was erected during the summer of 1843 and dedicated in October of that year. It cost, exclusive of the basement, $1,600, for which Deacon Allen Penfield became responsible. He also built the basement, designed for school purposes, as an additional private investment. The edifice was deeded to the society by him, on condition that preaching be maintained in it. In case the society fails to do this for two years, the property reverts to his heirs. The entire property is now valued at $2,500. After the edifice was dedicated Rev. S. L. Herrick occupied the pulpit once in four weeks until the spring of 1844, when Sarell Wood, a licentiate, was engaged as a supply for one year.

At a special meeting of the society, January 13th, 1846, a movement was inaugurated for the organization of a church. An ecclesiastical council was called, and on the 11th day of February, 1846, the "Second Congregational Church of Crown Point" was duly formed, with the following named persons as members: Allen Penfield, Timothy Taft, James F. More, Huldah M. Lawrence, Eunice Fuller, Sophronia More, Phebe Chapin, Louisa F. More, Ann H. Harwood, Caroline K. Penfield, Sarah M. Cram, Emily McIntyre, Anna Penfield, Lucy Crain, Rebecca Durand, Elizabeth Bascomb, Sophronia Moore, Sybil Honsiger, M. Rhoades, Hepzibah Stiles, Patty Phillips, Parmelia More, Harriet Ward, Hepzibah Taft, Hepzibah Rollins, Margaret Barrows, Lovina Wright, Sally Wright, Lucy Worcester, Asa Cram, Polly Durkee, Lovisa Hitt, Charles F. Hammond, 2d, Frederick Bostwick, Allen P. Harwood.

The articles of faith and covenant of the First Congregational Church of Crown Point were adopted as the basis. The first pastor was the Rev. Chauncey Coe Stevens, who was installed on thee date of the organization and continued in the pastoral office until February, 1873, when he retired from service on account of the infirmities of age. Rev. D. W. Cameron began labor November 16th, 1873, and continued until May 1st, 1874. Rev. John T. Marsh began November 1st, 1874, and closed his labors February, 1877. The pastorate of Rev. A. T. Clarke began October, 1877; installation August, 1878; pastoral relations dissolved September 22d, 1884. Rev. W. C. Sexton, the present pastor, began labor January 4th, 1885.

The first deacons were Allen Penfleld and James F. More. The others have been Timothy Taft, Levi R. Dudley, Thomas J. McMurtry and John W. Towner; the latter three are still in the office.

The first Sunday-school was organized in 1830, and prior to the erection of the church edifice was held either in the school-house or in Deacon Penfield's hall. John Taylor was the first superintendent. The others have been A. P. Harwood, Hervey Spencer, E. J. Morgan, A. J. McMurtry, T. J. McMurtry, J. W. Towner, and Levi R. Dudley, the present incumbent.

The most important revival in the history of the church occurred in 1877, under the labors of J. D. Foote, an evangelist. Thirty-four persons, chiefly the fruits of this revival, were received to membership December 2d, 1877, by Rev. A. T. Clarke. The next largest accession was that of ten persons, January 2d, 1881. The present membership is fifty-five.

The benevolent contributions have been unusually large for a rural church of its size. Not far from $8,000 have been distributed in gifts to the various benevolent causes, making an average of about $210 per annum, not including one personal gift of $1,000. Besides, the church has very generously responded once or twice for the relief of western sufferers.

Church of Christ, Hammondville. - In 1875 and 1876 Rev. J. T. Marsh, acting pastor of the Congregational Church at Ironville, preached occasionally to the Protestant population of Hammondville. In October, 1877, Rev. A. T. Clarke was called to the pastorate of the Congregational Church at Ironville and preached in a school-house in Hammondville once in two weeks for nearly a year. In the summer of 1878 the Crown Point Iron Company erected an elegant house of worship with commodious rooms for a school beneath it. This house was dedicated on Sunday, September 29th, 1878, at which time the following statement by the Iron Company, prepared by A. L. Inman, general manager, was read: - "The company, having a due regard for the welfare of its employees, at its annual meeting in May last, determined on the erection of a building at its mines, for the purpose of a church and school building, the necessities of which have long been apparent, and to that end have expended in the construction and furnishing of the house we now occupy a little less than $3,ooo. The lower room has a seating capacity for 135 scholars, and is to be used as a school-room. The upper room, with seating capacity for 225 persons, to be used as a union house of worship for the religious services of all denominations. And the company does now give it to its employees to be used for such purposes only, with the hope and belief that it will prove a source of profit to both old and young."

After the dedication of the house of worship religious services were held every Sabbath afternoon by the pastor at Ironville, and a church organization was soon talked of, to be consummated on a libetal evangelical basis. A constitution was drawn up by Rev. A. T. Clarke, and printed, bearing date 1878, but for various reasons no public action was taken upon it until Saturday evening, March 29th, 1879, when it was adopted, and officers were elected as follows: Deacons, William Northey, and William S. Yole; clerk, William S. Rowan; treasurer, Josephy Stone; trustees, the foregoing, with A. McDonald, esq., superintendent of.Iron Company.

The first communion season was observed on Sunday afternoon, April 13th, 1879, when ten persons assented to the confession of faith and covenant, thus completing the organization. These ten persons were William Northey, William S. Yole, William S. Rowan, John Kest, Martha Bennett, Etta J. Parkhurst, Mary Scafe, Cordelia Stone, Elizabeth E. Stone, Josephine U. Stone.

Rev. A. T. Clarke continued the first acting pastor of the church until September 22d, 1884. The present acting pastor, Rev. W. C. Sexton, began labor January 4th, 1885.

The first Sunday-school was organized in June, 1875, and held in a schoolhouse until the church edifice was dedicated. William Northey was the first superintendent. The others who have held the office are Mrs. Alexander Kee, James Cruikshank, William Trenery and Rev. W. C. Sexton, the present incumbent. Owing to removals and other causes the church membership has remained small. Nine members were received May 4th, 1884, as the result of revival seryices conducted by Rev. A. T. Clarke, and the largest accession at any one time since the date of organization.

The membership at present is twelve. Alfred Knowlton is deacon, and the present trustees are Theodore Locke, Alexander Kee and Thomas Montague, superintendent of Iron Company.

A large church edifice was erected and dedicated January 20th, 1830, on the site of the present "white meeting-house," in the central part of the town, and was occupied as a union church by the different sects then desiring to hold services there, embracing Congregationalists, Baptists, Methodists and Universalists. It gave way in the year 1882 to the present edifice, which is now occupied by the Wesleyan Methodists, who are ministered to by the Rev. W. A. Hathaway.

Lutherans. - The Swedish Lutherans of Hammondville have formed the organization of a church society recently and have occasional services by a non-resident pastor.

Roman Catholic. - There has been a Roman Catholic Church organization here more than twenty years, but the present church was erected in 1876. Rev. Father Mullin was the last priest who officiated in the church. He left the church in 1884 and services are not now held. Rev. Father Butler, from Ticonderoga was the first pastor, and comes to the church for occasional services.

Schools.- We have heretofore alluded to the first school taught in this town, in 1804 or 1805, by the wife of Elisha Rhoades, in the building which was a combined store, dwelling and school-house. But it was a beginning, and others soon followed in different parts of the town. It has never been a characteristic of American pioneers to let their children fold their hands and grow up in ignorance. Better that they should tramp miles through forests, over rough roads, or no roads at all, in the most inclement weather (they were needed at home in the planting and the harvest), and sit the day through upon the hardest of seats, with no support for their backs, and pore over a very limited selection of school books; and the foundation for many an excellent education and for many a strong and enlightened character has been laid under just such circumstances as these.

John Catlin came across the lake from Vermont and taught school here before 1818, and Harvey Tuttle taught from 1818 to 1820. Foster Breed, who came to town with his father in 1815, attended the school. The next teacher he remembers was a lady, who subsequently became his wife (now deceased), Miss Sarah Washburn. She was from Middlebury, and taught in a building that stood where Elmer J. Barker's house is. As settlers located in different parts of the town, districts were divided and schools rapidly multiplied.

The present Union Free School was established at Crown Point in 1878. It embraces three schools in the building at the village and one at the lake, and has been very successful from the first, nearly all the districts in the town (eighteen, besides the four mentioned) being represented among its pupils. L. B. Carlisle was the first principal and was succeeded in 1880 by Professor Thomas R. Kneil. He was educated at the Wesleyan University, Middletown, Conn., whence he graduated in 1875. He was born in Westfield, Mass., in 1851, and is a young man of excellent native ability. Under him as teachers are Miss Addie M. Bunnell, intermediate; Miss Clara A. Stanton, first primary; Miss Frank M. Locke, second primary (lake). The average attendance is about one hundred and seventy. The school passed under the control of the Regents of the University in 1881 and graduated its first class in 1883.

Free Masonry. - Molang Lodge, F. and A. M. No. 370, of Crown Point, was chartered July 2d, 1855. Its charter was forfeited in June, 1870.

Rescue Lodge, F. and A. M., was organized in 1876, with the following charter members: J. D. Hardy, James West, J. E. Pond, G. G. Gage, William Scott, H. J. Potter, Robert Taylor, C. N. Mead, L. B. Carlisle, E. T. Strong, S. Taylor. The officers under the dispensation were: J. D. Hardy, M.; James E. Pond, S. W.; James West, J. W.; Robert Taylor, treasurer; L. B. Carlisle, secretary; G. G. Gage, S. D.; C. N. Mead, J. D.; William Scott, tiler; E. T. Strong, S. M. C.; S. Taylor, J. M. C. The first officers chosen under the charter were: James E. Pond, M.; George G. Gage, S. W.; S. Taylor, J. W.; Robert Taylor, treasurer; M. H. Turner, secretary; Adelbert Barse, S. D.; Eugene Wheelock, J. D.; Otis Breed, S. M. C.; L. A. Porter, J. M. C.; Hyde R. Barnett, tiler; S. Taylor, James West, B. P. Treadway, trustees. The present officers are: S. Taylor, M.; H. D. Spicer, S. W.; Hyde R. Barnett, J. W.; L. R. Berry, treasurer; F. H. Ingalls, secretary; T. R. Kneil, S. D.; E. E. Spaulding, J. D.; C. N. Mead, tiler; Z. C. Sherman, S. M. C.; Adelbert Barse, J. M. C. James E. Pond is the only resident P. M.

The C. F. Hammond Post No. 533, Department of New York, G. A. R., was organized January 24th, 1885. Following are the names of the charter members and officers: Thomas F. Allen, Solomon Allen, Elmer J. Barker, Egbert A. Braman, Henry Betts, William Barrows, James Bryden, James Deane, Charles F. Dunckler, Elbert M. Johnson, John H. Kelly, Sidney Knights, William P. Lamson, Simeon P. McIntyre, Alpharis H. Moore, Viceroy Moore, Clark M. Pease, Nelson Smith, John W. Treadway, William H. Taylor, Hiram Underhill, Henry E. Wyman, Franklin Waite, Robert Waterman. Officers: Commander, James Deane; senior vice-commander, Elmer J. Barker; junior vice-commander, Simeon P. McIntyre; surgeon, John W. Treadway; chaplain, Egbert A. Braman; adjutant, Clark M. Pease; quartermaster, Henry B. Wyman; officer of the day, Thomas F. Allen; officer of the guard, John H. Kelly; sergeant-major, Elbert M. Johnson; quartermastersergeant, Franklin Waite.

Crown Point Center. - The settlement at this point, about three miles up the creek from the lake, was made a little earlier than at what was called Hammond's Corners. The road now from the latter hamlet to the Center passes through Factoryville, which is only another section of the well-settled district beginning at the lake and extending westward - as though a populous village away up the creek had been caught by one of the floods for which that stream is not unknown and carried down stream, portions of it being left along on the banks.

There has been a post-office here and at the "Lower Hollow," as it is locally called, since early in the century. The office was located at the" Upper Hollow" permanently some twenty-five years ago, while at the Lower Hollow there was continual .strife in early years to secure its location permanently at Hammond's Corners; and it vibrated from one of these points to the other. "'Squire" George Bunn kept a store on the site of the present brick store at the Center as early as 1825, and "'Squire" Chauncey Fenton was located at "The Corners." As the post-office was changed from one locality to the other it invariably also passed from the control of one of these worthy gentlemen to the other, the name of the office remaining the same - Crown Point. The office at the Center is now in charge of Miss Ingalls, as deputy, under Henry E. Wyman. Mr. Wyman succeeded A. S. Palmer.,

The early settlements in "Buck Hollow" and vicinity have already been sufficiently noted. A grist-mill at the Hollow that was operated for many years fell into ruins in 1884, and there is nothing there indicating business except a small store kept by A. Bailey. There was a saw-mill there in early days, and another at the Upper Hollow. These mills were a part of the great lumber business that was extensively carried on in the town in early years.

William Fuller is the oldest merchant at Crown Point Center. His father was Cornelius Fuller, who located near the old "red store" in 1818. He removed, however, but came back in 1824 to what was known as the Cummings farm. He died in the the town in 1829. William Fuller was employed as clerk for A. B. Chipman, and in 1851 took the position of agent in the Union store, which was operated by the New England Protective Union, a co-operative organization. He continued in that capacity for twenty-one years. In 1873 he bought the store and has since that time continued the business on his own account. His store burned in 1875, when he erected his present substantial brick building.

A. G. De Poutee has a general store, where he began trade in 1871 with Henry E. Wyman as a partner, whose interest he subsequently purchased. He was preceded by J. T. Hill.

The firm of Trimble & Buck carry on a general store in a building which was erected in 1866 by P. S. Russell. The first firm was Russell & Trimble; then Russell, Trimble & Co., and Trimble & Buck since 1869. The firm is composed of James K. Trimble, who is a son of Chillion A. Trimble, one of the early settlers already mentioned, who located on the Point, and Rawson C. Buck.

The wagon factory here is owned by Chauncey Dudley, and Samuel Crawford runs the business.

There has been a hotel here since an early day. Elijah Grosvenor had an. early tavern where Moses De Poutee now lives. M. Willcox had the first tavern on the site of the present hotel. The house, as it now stands, is the result of several changes of structure, and numerous proprietors have tried its fortunes. Samuel Russell, Nathan Ingalls, Henry McNutt and Alexander Freeman were among the proprietors; it is now kept by John Donnelly. Samuel Russell was one of the early settlers.

Alexander Turner has kept the harness shop since 1884, in a building that was put up for the post-office on one of the occasions when the Hammond's Corners people were temporarily deprived of it. John Little had a harness shop here formerly.

Rufus Fassett carried on the tinsmith business here for fifteen years. It is now, and for a year past, in connection with hardware, in the hands of John Donnelly.

The grist-mill is operated by Henry E. Wyman.

A. M. Buckman manufactures butter tubs, etc., on the site of the old sawmill. This mill was reconstructed from the old forge that was built here many years ago.

Moses De Poutee keeps a grocery.

The old woolen factory at the Upper Hollow was built about 1840 by William Treadway. It has been operated for thirty years by William Clure.

John M. Locke, one of the early settlers in the neighborhood of the White Meeting House, on the homestead now occupied by his son, formerly drove a stage through this region. Wm. Fuller, the merchant, taught a school in that neighborhood in 1833.

The road as it now runs through the valley was not opened until about 1834. Previous to that time the hill road was used. In early days roads were opened either over or along the sides of hills, to avoid the mud that was sure to be found in spring and fall in the valleys, at a period when teams were not so numerous as now.

The first church in the White Meeting House neighborhood was the one that gave the name to the locality, derived from its own color; it was not every church that could in those days boast a coat of paint of any color. It was located near the center of the town and there were good reasons for believing that a hamlet or village might be built up there. The town meeting was held in the old church the first year after it was built. Mr. Fuller remembers that it was necessary to place a guard about the pulpit to prevent the enthusiastic electors from breaking it down. The present church was built on the site of the old one in 1882.

Factoryville. - This is a mere hamlet midway between Crown Point and Crown Point Center. A post-office is maintained by private effort.

The Crown Point Manufacturing Works are located here and now operated by James E. Pond. G. W. Foote is in charge of the store. This manufacturing establishment was staited for the production of sash, doors, blinds and pails, by Flint Brothers, some twenty-five years ago. They were succeeded by C. P. Fobes, who was associated with the Hammonds. Mr. Fobes bought out his partners' interest and formed the C. P. Fobes Manufacturing Company. This continued to 1881 when the business took its present name, with C. L. Hammond as proprietor About two years later it passed to the present ownership.

The Mason Wheel Company began business here in 1880, manufacturing patent wagon wheels; but the business was abandoned in about a year.

Two saw-mills are operated here by Mr. Pond, before mentioned.

Gunnison's - There are two ferries from Crown Point across the lake, one of which is south of the mouth of Putnam's creek and the other north of it. The one first mentioned is now operated by Gunnison & Brooks and the other by Wolcott & Rogers, and by Timothy Huestis from this side. A ferry called Wilkinson's ferry was run from Long Point.

George Gunnison some fifteen years ago erected the large hotel that stands near his wharf on the lake shore. Its proximity to the railroad and the expectation that it could be filled with summer guests were the reasons for its erection; but the hopes of patronage were not realized and the handsome house is used only as a sort of boarding-house.

Following are the names that appear on the assessors' roll of the town for the year 1835, which is worthy of preservation here as indicating the settlers who had become property owners at that time. The real estate valuation had then reached $91,361; personal property, $4,800. The spelling of some of the names is undoubtedly incorrect:-

George Adkins

George Baker

Stephen Drake

Martin Armstrong

Zoraster Barrows

Benjamin S. Davis

William Alden

John B. Brooks

Ezra Dudley

James Austin

Jared Breed

Lemuef Derby

J ewet Armstrong

Brooks & Floyd

Henry Davis

Samuel Avrel

James Barber

John T. Ewen

Levi Adams

Hiram Buck

Alfred A. Edmunds

Milo Aldin

George Brown

Abijah Farr

Benjamin Allen

Daniel Brooks

Moses Foster

J edediah Barnett

Orren Bradford

Samuel Foot

James Barnett

Henry Barrows

Thos. Farnsworth

John Baldwin

Samuel B. Bailey

John Floyd

John Burwell

Stiliman Clark

Leonard Fisher

Jonas Benedict

John Chilcott

Aaron Fuller

Allen Breed

Charles Coburn

Chauncey Fenton

Nancy Burge

Warren Cross

John Giddings

Joseph Barret

Asa Cram

Alex'r Griswould

Amos Ballou

George Conn jr.

Asahel Glidden

Hiram Ballou

Ira Crossman

Osro P. Gray

Samuel Barker

Luther Call

Robert Gracy

Reuben Barret

Lewis Cory

Nichols Gilèo

Jacob Bixby

Josiah. Converse

Gabriel Gibson

George Ballou

Leon Cummings

James Gracy

John F. Bishop

Aburn Crossman

Elijah Goodrich

Otis Bradford

William Cross

Josiah Glidden

Lucian Barret

Abijah Chilcott

George Gunnison

John Bigelow

Daniel Cleaveland

John Groves

Gerome Bishop

Aaron Chapin

Stephen Hunter

Forrest Brown

Charles Cutter

Thos. Hodgman

Foster Breed

Calvin Davis

Lemuel D. Howe

Jonathan Brooks

Hammond Davis

Juba Howe

John Barrows

Bradley M. Davis

Libeas Hascall

Joel Boyington

Jona Douglass

Timothy Heustice

Eben Bigelow

Lyman Drake

Norman Hildrith

Jonathan I. Breed

David Drake

James Hutchinson

Enos Bradford

Elisha Davis

Hollis Hildrith

Asa W. Barnet

Orson Davis

Bernard Hughes

Silas Buckman

Thomas Dibble

Henry Howe

Allen Breed

Timothy Dean

Joshua Holden

Eumanas Bartlet

Lyman Drake

Benj. Heustice

Barker & Fenton

Franklin F. Dike

Timothy Hodgman

Abel Bailey

Lucius Dunkley

Henry Hale

Thomas Hildrith

Micager McIntyre

Ward Rogers

Chas. F. Hammond

Loyal Monroe

Phineas Smith

Hammonds & Co.

Amasa Nichols

Frederick Smith

Daniel Huestice

Aaron Nilson

Samuel Spaulding

Daniel D. Huestice

Zadok Nichols

Joel Stanard

Samuel H. Ingalls

Asa Nichols

Spaulding & Hatch

Hibbard Ingalls

Amos Nickerson

John Sisson

Elias Jackson

William Nilson

Amos Stratton

Jeramiah Jencks

Joshua Newell

Hiram Simmonds

Timothy Johnson

Aaron Nichols

Austin Smith

Arrial A. Kibby

Rufus Nims

Hiram Sprague

John King jr.

Nilson &. Allen

Amos Stanton

Arthur Knowles

William Newell

Nathan Sprague

Caleb Kendal

John Ober

Samuel Stiles

Thomas Knowlton

Joseph Ober

Joseph Searles

John King

Benegar Pond

Abel Sawyer

Stephen Lamson

William Perkins

Alex S. Sturtefant

Martin Leeland

William Porter

Ira Spaulding

Robert Lane

Amos Pulsifer

S'n Spaulding, 2d

John M. Lock

Jacob J. Parmerter

Weston Shattuck

Jedediah Lawrence

John Pressy

James Stanton

Samuel Lewis

Harvey Phillips

Alden Spear

Wm. Livingston

Penfield & Taft

Phineas Smith

Lorenzo Mason

Ameziah Philips

Miles Spaulding

Susan McAully

Paris I. Prible

Caleb Spaulding

John Maginnis

Moses Potter

Ransom Searis

Sam'l Murdock jr.

Abraham Prible

Hiram Sisson

William Moore

John Petty

Chan'y P. Sawyer

Abijah McIntyre

Solomon Petty

Stephen Spaulding

Roswell H. Morgan

Charles Pratt

N. T. Simmins

Lyman & L. Morton

John Rogers

Colburn Strong

William Mills

Hubbard Russell

Elisha Stanton

Samuel Murdock

Jonathan Russell

Royal Stowel

John Moore

Levi Rhoades

David Stowel

John E. Moore

Elisha Rhoades

William Scofield

Smith McAully

Randal Reed

Shaler Towner

John R. Mott

Harris Reed

Ephraim Towner

Joel Morton

Foster Reed

Ephrim I. Towner

Loyal Morton

John Renne

Ichabod A. Towner

Aaron Maginnis

Sam'l Russell (blacksmith)

Ira Towner

James Murdock

Sam'l Russell (inn-keeper)

Silas Town

Levi Moore

Daniel Rogers

Trimble & Murdock

John Taylor

Jonathan Train

Jotham Wood

William Titus

George Thompson

John Woodworth

Moses B. Townsend

George Trimble

Chauncey Whitman

Tyrell & Chipman

Septamus Turner

Peter Wright

Benj. F. Towner

John Townsend

Joseph T. Wilder

Job Town

Abel Wood

Witherbee & Wood

Oka Thompson

Ariel Wolcott

John I. Wallace

Chilion A. Trimble

Aaron Wheeler

Isaac Wilkins

Daniel Taylor

Benj. Whitman

Samuel Wright

Aaron B. Townsend

Moses Wolcott

John Wallace

James Tyrill

Wilder & Gray

Geo. Wrightonton

Henry Thrasher

Thomas Witherbee

Wright & Eaton

[ Return to part 1 ]

.

.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy