The Town of Fenner.
This town was not organized until April 22, 1823, lies northwest of the center of
the county and is bounded north by Lincoln and Sullivan, east by Smithfield, south by Nelson, and west by Cazenovia.
Its surface is rolling upland, which includes the most elevated parts of the ridge which divides the waters of
the county. A branch of Chittenango Creek, which forms a large part of the western boundary, rises in the eastern
part, and the headwaters of Canaseraga Creek and a minor branch of Cowasselon Creek are in the northern part. Perryville
Falls, on the Canaseraga, are somewhat remarkable, the water having a descent of about 150 feet, into a large basin
hollowed from the rock.
The underlying rock of the town is mostly of the Hamilton group and the limestone crops out in the north and northwest
parts; this stone has been quarried to some extent. Marl deposits are found in the northwest part from which lime
is made. The soil is gravelly loam and well adapted to mixed farming.
Fenner was first settled about 1793, in the west part, but not permanently until two years later, when the New
Petersburgh Tract had been leased to Peter Smith. Among the families who came into the town in the closing years
of the last century were those of Jonathan and James Munger, Alpheus Twist, John Needham, Thomas Cushing, Davis
Cook, Lt. David Hutchinson, Seneca Robinson and John Barber. Other pioneers of a little later date were Enos Wells,
William, Arnold and George Ballou, James Cameron, John Douglass, John Robertson, Robert Stewart, Guy Hatch, Gideon
Parsons, Joel Downer, Hezekiah Hyatt, David Baldwin, J. D. Turner, Martin and Daniel M. Gillet, Thomas Wilson,
Wallace Woodworth, Benjamin Woodworth, Col. Elisha Farnham, Ithuriel Flower, Amos Webster, Samuel and Zattu Payne,
Timothy Foster, Drake Sellick, Russell Ransom, Asa Dana, and others noticed more fully in an earlier chapter.
The first town meeting was held in the school house near David Cook, jr's, May 6, 1823, and the following named
officers were elected: Daniel M. Gillet, supervisor; Sardis Dana, clerk; John Needham, William Esseistyne and Ralph
J. Gates, assessors; John F. Hicks, collector; John Needham and Samuel Nichols, overseers of the poor; Samuel Ives,
Amasa Ives, jr., and Noah Blakeslee, commissioners of highways; John F. Hicks and William Nichols, constables;
Sardis Dana, William Doolittle and Daniel Pratt, commissioners of common schools; John Needham, jr., Federal Dana
and Erastus E. Park, inspectors of common schools; David Cook, poundmaster.
Following is a list of the supervisors of the town of Fenner from its formation to
the present time:
1823, Daniel M. Gillet; 1824-26, Czar Dykeman; 1827, Nathaniel Hazelton; 1828-31, Daniel M. Gillet; 1832-3, Nathaniel
Hazelton; 1834, Asa Blakeslee; 1835-6, John Needham; 1837-9, Sardis Dana; 1840, Charles G. Dibble; 1841-2, Walter
Clough; 1843-8, Robert G. Stewart; 1849, David Hess; 1850, Sergeant Britt; 1851, R. G. Stewart; 1852, Jesse Watson;
1853, D. Miner Gillet; 1854, John Hill; 1855, Harvey W. Kendall; 1856, Thomas Marshall; 1857-8, Asa R. Maine; 1859,
Asahel A. Annas; 1860-1, James Monroe Lownsbery; 1862-3, L. Vander C. Hess; 1864-6, Orra B. Hamblin; 1867, L. Vander
C. Hess; 1868, John Woodcock; 1869, Theodore Meade; 1870, John Wilson; 1871, John Woodcock; 1872-3, J. Somers Hill;
1874-5, Norman B. Hill; 1876-7, Charles W. Barrett; 1878-Si, Andrew Whipple; 1882-86, Paul S. Maine; 1887, Andrew
Whipple; 1888-91, Paul S. Maine; 1892-93, R. Duncan Robertson; 1894-97, Paul S. Maine.
Following is a statement of the population of the town since 1835 as shown by the census of various decades and
1835 1840 1845 1850 1855 1860 1865 1870 1875 1880 1890 1892
1,972 1,997 1,833 1,690 1,622 1,649 1,387 1,381 1,265 1,272 1,040 999
The decrease in population in this town is seen to be as great, or a little greater,
than that of any other town in the county. The causes are the same as have been mentioned elsewhere, and need not
be further noticed.
There are only two post-offices in this town; one at Perryville and the other at Fenner Corners, with the name
of Fenner. Perryville is the most important village and lies partly in three towns- Fenner, Sullivan, and Lincoln.
The post-office was established probably in 1816, with Oren S. Avery, postmaster. He held the office until he died,
in 1836. His successors have been as follows: Silas Judd, to about 1845; Leonard Gough, Ira Bates, Mr. Judd, again,
O. J. Woodworth, Joseph V. Wells, Webster C. Hill, H. L. Keeler, John Hill, Paul S. Maine, Leon Berson, Duane Chapman,
Paul S. Maine, James Wells, and again Paul S. Maine.
Among the early merchants here were Pyre & Cole, about 1811; the Weeks Brothers, about 1812; William Doolittle,
about 1820; Samuel Hill and a Mr. Stilison, succeeding Doolittle; Leonard Gough, 1835-50; John Hill, 1839-59 (also
a tavern keeper and distiller); Webster C. Hill, son of John; H. L. Keeler, 1864, sold to Paul S. Maine in 1876,
who is still in trade.
The Perryville House was built about 1825 by Simeon Jenkins. It has had a number of proprietors and is now kept
by F. F. Hamilton.
The early physicians of the village and town were Dr. John Didama, Dr. N. C. Powers, Dr. Powers R. Mead, Dr. Theodore
Mead, and at later dates Drs. John H. Ramsey, Sylvanus Guernsey, George B. Munger, Benjamin R. Mead, George W.
Miles, and M. R. Joy. The present physician of Perryville is Dr. Nelson O. Brooks.
The first church in Perryville was St. Stephen's, formed in September, 1816. It passed out of existence many years
ago. The Methodist Church was organized in 1831, and the edifice was built in 1839.
There are eleven school districts in this town, and in 1897 the Union School District of Perryville was incorporated.
This school occupies the old Episcopal church building.
Fenner Corners is a hamlet in the central part of the town, where Martin and Daniel M. Gillet opened the first
store. Other early merchants were Charles F. Kellogg, Hiram Preston, Martin Woodworth, Perry Tibbits, and Augustus
Daniels. Benjamin Peariman is the present merchant. The post-office was established some time between 1820 and
1825, with Ebenezer Dunton, pstmaster. The Fenner Baptist Church was organized here in 1801.
A part of the hamlet of Chittenango Falls is in the western part of the town, and has been sufficiently described
in an earlier chapter.