History of Friendship, New York
A Centennial Memorial
History of Allegany County, New York
John S. Minard, Esq. Historian
Mrs. Georgia Drew Andrews, Editor.
W. A. Fergusson & Co., Alfred, N. Y. 1896

Transcribed by: Diana Gates Reinhart


FRIENDSHIP
BY L. C. ALDRICH, ESQ.
CHAPTER LIX

LONG AGO in the early years of the century, when township 3, range 1,
of the Holland Purchase, formed a part of the old town called Can-
eadea, the people of the various localities throughout the region exhibited
considerable rivalry as against those of other places, sometimes friendly and
occasionally of an unpleasant nature. In this township, tradition tells us,
the inhabitants of the hillsand the valleys were arrayed one against the other,
and disputes frequently led to personal combat; and one locality, that where-
on was built up the first hamlet called Friendship, was once designated
Fighting Corners. In later years as settlement increased the differences
and animosities of the past were amicably settled and friendship prevailed;
and in allusion to this period of reconciliation the name "Friendship" was
given the settlement and also the subsequent town. It is said on good
authority that the town and settlement were named by pioneer Davis, father-
in-law of Timothy Hyde, who came to Western New York from Vermont in
1804 and settled one mile south of Belvidere. He purchased the first settled
farm in Friendship from Frier, who came in 1806. Davis sent over to the
people who were contesting about the name, the suggestion, which they
adopted, that they should call it Friendship. As originally created on the
24th of March, 1815, Friendship included all the territory of the town so
named, and also the present towns of Cuba, Wirt, Clarksville, Bolivar and
Genesee. Within its boundaries were the contents of six full townships,
numbers one, two and three of the first and second ranges. Cuba was set
off in 1822. Bolivar in 1825, and a portion of Wirt in 1838. The other towns
mentioned as comprising original Friendship were the results of later sub-
divisions. The mother of towns from which Friendship is descended was
Leister, formed and named March 30,1802, one of the original civil divisions
of Genesee county. The name was soon changed to Leicester, in allusion to
the christian name of Leicester Phelps, son of Oliver Phelps of the Phelps
and Gorham proprietary. Angelica was formed from Leicester, Feb. 25,
1805, and Caneadea was set off from Angelica, March 11,1808. Reduced to
its present area, Friendship contains 22,760 acres of land. Its location in
the county is central, and in quality of soil, natural resources and general
productiveness, it ranks among the best of the county's divisions. Indeed,
nature dealt favorably with this locality, for in Friendship we have one of
the best drained and watered towns of the region, while very little of its
lands is not available for successful cultivation. The principal watercourse
is VanCampen's creek, which crosses the town from southwest to north-
east, and its main tributaries are the North Branch, the South Branch, and

700 HISTORY OP ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.


Moss Creek, each of which discharges into the greater stream near Friend-
ship village. The headwaters of White Creek are in the northwest part of
the town. The land surface generally is rolling and hilly, but nowhere
mountainous or difficult of ascent. From both north and south boundaries
of the town is a gradual descent toward the central valley through which
flows VanCampen's Creek. The soil is a good quality, strong and durable,
specially adapted to the growth of hay and pasture grass, yet produces
abundantly in general crops in return to the intelligent efforts of the hus-
bandman.

SETTLEMENT.-Well settled authority accords the distinction of having-
been the pioneer of township three, range one, to Samuel Wardell, a native
of Connecticut, born March 27, 1763. "Squire" Wardell, as he became
known in later years, was an early settler in the upper Canisteo valley, but
lost his lands there through some defect in the title. He then left the region
and in 1807 came to this part of Angelica, hoping to re-establish a prosperous
condition for himself and his family. He took up two hundred acres of land,
a part of which is the present farm of Henry Babcock. The house in which
the pioneer died, May 9,1833, is now owned by D. T. Lyman. Pioneer War-
dell made his first clearing, built a log cabin and sowed a small field of winter
wheat during 1807, and then returned to Canisteo for the winter. In the
spring of 1808 he moved his family and stock to the town, and here he after-
ward lived, a useful and respected citizen. He was justice of the peace many
years, and possessing a good fund of common sense was frequently called
upon to determine matters of controversy among the settlers. Mr. Wardell
and his wife, whose maiden name was Anna Wheeler, and two of their chil-
dren, are buried in Nile cemetery. Three daughters and a son moved west
with their families and settled in Indiana and Illinois. The youngest daugh-
ter, their only child born in this town, married Vaness Voorhies, of Nile.
Another daughter, Abi, who was one year old when Squire Wardell settled
here, married Jonathan Phinney and moved to what is now Wirt, where she
died April 25, 1891. She was the last surviving member of her father's
family.

It is interesting to note in this connection that the lands whereon Sam-
uel Wardell made the first settlement were originally " articled " to Simeon
Gates, William Burnett, James Green, Seth Marvin, William Higgins and
Levi Couch. Their purchase was made in 1806, and comprised a considera-
ble tract of land in the vicinity. Not all of these, however, became, residents
of Friendship. The names of Green and Marvin have been preserved in the
county, while settlers Gates, Burnett and Higgins remained in the town.
The others pushed on westward and settled in new localities. This colony
came to Friendship in 1807, and at the same time came Zebulon Gates and
John Harrison. William Burnett lived a little south of what is now the
Christopher Blossom farm.

Peter Frier was another early settler, but those who were destined to
most thoroughly perpetuate their names were Henry Utter, who came from

FRIENDSHIP. 701


Delaware county in 1808, and Josiah and John Utter from Otsego county in
1809. The few Axtells now living in Friendship are descended from Aaron
Axtell, who came in 1809. Many of his descendants moved to the western
states. Axtell, and his son Harry, bought 300 acres of land on the South
Branch, and in company with Sylvanus Merriman erected a gristmill about
half way between Friendship and Nile villages. Aaron Axtell lived in what
is now the George Reed house in Nile, formerly owned by Esquire J. J.
Stebbins. The Axtell purchase extended to the town line on the south.

Josiah Utter, a settler in 1809, was one of the most prominent of the
pioneers, and more familiarly known as "Captain" Utter. He left seven
sons and two daughters, all of whom filled positions of prominence in society
or business life. Also among the early settlers were Adam B. Renwick,
who came in 1810; Ambrose Willard, a Massachusetts Yankee, in 1812; Dr.
Pearse, the pioneer of the locality east of the Townsend Flats, who made his
improvement in 1812, and in whose family were three afterward wellknown
sons, Benjamin, Levi W. and Alonzo, all closely identified with the later de-
velopment of the town. In the same year Justin Cook came from the eastern
part of the state and settled on what afterward became the Colwell farm.

The year 1813 witnessed few arrivals in the new community, the events
of the war then in progress having the effect to check the westward tide of
emigration. The sons of American pioneers were either with the army or
on the frontier defenses, and the possible result of the war was then quite in
doubt. The scattered Indian occupants of the region were restless through
British importunities, and there was little in the general situation on the
Holland Purchase at that time to attract settlement. In this year, however,
Benjamin Crabtree came to township three, range one, and established a
home for an afterward prominent family. He was a native of Massachusetts,
but a former resident of Mongomery county, in this state. He died in
Friendship in 1848 However, when in 1814 the tide of victory turned in
favor of the American arms, westward emigration was quickly resumed and
all this portion of the state was flooded with prospective settlers and land
speculators. Among the settlers that year we recall the names of Tolcut
and Samuel Gold, father and son, Samuel and John Thomas and Obadiah
Rouse, all of whom came in company during the spring and early summer.
Tolcut Gold was the first town clerk of Friendship, and from the early records
kept by him is learned many interesting events of local history. Another
settler in the same year was Chester Scott, from New Hampshire. In 1815,
according to personal records, the comers to the town were Ira Cotton, who
purchased seventy acres from Zebulon Gates, and whose family name is still
known in the locality; and also Ebenezer Steenrod, the head of a large fam-
ily. He came from Delaware county. Other settlers of about the same
period, though perhaps later, were William Niver (1816), Casper Niver, Hugh
J. Higgins (1818), and John W. Baxter, the latter in 1820. Russell Porter
came in 1821, and about the same time William Mapes and Joseph Gorton.

The old state road through the town was ready for use in 1815, although

702 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.


the bridges were not built until later. This great highway of travel and traffic
opened the way for more rapid settlement, and within the next half score of
years after its completion it is said a tavern was opened and maintained on
almost every mile section of land. Farm lines were unknown and fences
were an unheard of convenience. The settlers were fully occupied in clear-
ing the land, planting crops and preparing outbuildings for the coming
winter. At town meetings the freemen assembled to discuss current topics,
elect officers and frequently to pay the tax collector. Every settler possess-
ed at least one cow, a few swine, a yoke of cattle, or, in case he happened to
be prosperous, he might boast ownership of a team of horses. In the absence
of lot and farmfence lines the inhabitants registered their cattle and swine
mark in the town clerk's office. Hogs were declared in open town meeting
to be "free commoners," if properly yoked. This custom of recording cattle
brands and marks under the declaration of the owner enables us to furnish
the names of other early settlers in Friendship, which otherwise might have
been lost. Tolcut Gold, during his term of office, recorded the marks of
many of the settlers in old Friendship not before noted, although some of
them may have lived in that part of the town afterward set off to later form-
ations. In this connection may be mentioned George and John Higgins,
Sylvanus Merriman, Squier Marvin, Ralph Ingersol, Othello Church, Bethu-
el Clark, Azel Buckley, Ezra T. Peters, Obediah Rouse, Chauncey Cotton,
Mark Hickox, Ira Hickox, Luther Axtell, Elisha Strong and Ira Cotton, all
"householders" living in the town as early, it is believed, as 1819. At a
little later date we find the names of Calvin T. Chamberlain, Nathan Gilbert,
John, Russell and James Harrison, "Hyra" Ardell, Alvin Richardson, Elias
Steenrod, William Niver, Comfort Hicks, Joseph Barnhart, Hugh J. Hig-
gins, Samuel King, John Steenrod, Simeon Wilbur, Samuel Darby, Joseph
G. Gleason, Justin Cook, Edward Steenrod, Jonathan Hickox, Samuel
Thomas, Peter G. Chapman, Ambrose Willard, Talent Banks, Daniel Willard
and James Maxson. Still others, some of them as late as 1830, were William
Noble, Asa Cowles, James Scott, Ebenezer Hyde, John Scott, David B.
Banks, Samuel Yapp, William Potter (on the last farm in Friendship on the
Cuba road), John Mills, Abel Maxson, Moses B. Sherwin, Joseph Wilcox,
Harvey Stannard, Amos Thacher, Joel Wakefield, Homer Kindle, James
VanHorn, Anthony Fuller, Abraham Crandall, Joseph VanHorn, Clark New-
ton, Newman Crabtree, Benj. Crabtree, Cary Crandall, Joseph Allen, Sam-
uel Crandall, James Wheeler, Matthias Lyon, Samuel S. Carter, Valentine
Perry, Benj. F. Sisco, Frederick Lombard, Joel Kenyon and Harvey Eames

These settlers, with the pioneers whose names are mentioned elsewhere,
laid the foundation upon which has been built up the substantial success of
the town, and to their early efforts is due the gratitude of the present gen-
eration of inhabitants. They were both lumbermen and farmers, the latter
by choice and the former by necessity. The lands must be cleared before
they could be successfully tilled, and good authorities state that at one time
in its history the town had in full operation twenty-five sawmills. With


FRIENDSHIP. 703

these industries and a local population of nearly 1,500 it was only natural and
according to the order of things that the inhabitants of the locality sought a
new town organization separate from the mother town of Caneadea.

ORGANIZATION.-The formation of the new town under the name of
Friendship was accomplished on the 24th of March, 1815, and on the 7th of
April following the first meeting for election of officers was held. Ebenezer
Steenrod was chosen moderator, and Samuel Derby clerk. Town officers
were elected: John Higgins, supervisor; Tolcut Gold, town clerk; Samuel
Derby, Sylvanus Merriman and William Hungerford, assessors; Ira Hickox,
constable and collector; Timothy Hyde, constable; George Hggins and Ben-
jamin Crabtree, overseers of the poor; Bethuel Clark, Elisha Strong and
Ebenezer Steenrod, commissioners of highways; Samuel Derby, Sylvanus
Merriman and William Hungerford, comissionersof common schools; Bethuel
Clark, Elisha Strong and Ebenezer Steenrod, inspectors of common schools.
The path-masters and "damage prisers" chosen at the time were Bethuel
Clark, Othello Church, Zebulon Gates, Mark Hickox, John Utter, Azel Buck-
ley and Captain Culver. It was at this meeting that hogs were voted to be
"public commoners" subject to the restriction of a proper yoke. The old
town records furnish occasional amusing proceedings. A measure adopted
in 1822 is worthy of reproduction, viz.: "Voted, that every man that had
any Canada thistles on his farm shall cut them by the first day of June, and
keep them cut so they shan't blow or forfeit to the town $5."

As is indicated by our narrative thus far progressed, it must be seen
that the early settlement of this town was accomplished rapidly and effectu-
ally. The pioneers were a sturdy and determined class of men who came to
the new country for the purpose of improving their condition, and subse-
quent results have shown that their labors were not in vain. The character
of the lands in this vicinity was made known throughout the east by
the land speculators, sub-agents of the representatives of the proprietary,
and we have yet to note the occasion on which these energetic workers rep-
resented the land to be less desirable than it in fact was. However, the
land agent was not always an unscrupulous shark, and in this region his
work was for the ultimate benefit of the people; and it is estimated that in
1815 the newly created town of Friendship contained a total population of
1.500. Yet the reader must remember that the original territory of the
town comprised all that part of the county lying west and south of Friend-
ship as now constituted. The most energetic land operator in this locality
was Colonel Samuel King, acting for and promoting the enterprises of Jo-
seph Ellicott, the latter the direct agent of the Holland Land Company. The
weight of authority accords to agent Ellicott a general reputation for fair-
ness in his dealings with settlers, and occasions are not wanting on which
he felt it necessary to check some of the more bold acts of his subordinates.
Colonel King dealt in his own interest, and while some of his transactions
were criticized and questioned, he nevertheless proved a valuable factor in
the early settlement of this special regien.

704 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.


POPULATION.-We have no reliable authority by which can be deter-
mined the number of inhabitants on township three, range one, at the time
the town was formed. The town was reduced to its present limits after the
formation of Wirt, on April 12, 1838, and only since that time can the census
reports be regarded as a true index of local population. In 1840 the inhabit-
ants numbered 1,244, from which time to the present the increase and
changes have been as follows: 1845,1,401; 1850,1,675; 1855,1,838; 1860,1,889;
1865, 1,725; 1870,1,528; 1875, 1,871; 1880, 2,127; 1890, 2,216; 1892, 2,199. Thus
we notice an almost constant increase in population during the last half
century, a remarkable contrast in comparison with the great majority of
interior towns in the state. These things indicate thrift, progressiveness
and intelligence on the part of the people. While other towns have suffered
a gradual decrease in number of inhabitants, the results of decline in agri-
cultural pursuits and the profits of farm labor. Friendship, subject to the
same influences, has steadily grown and increased both in population and
wealth.

DEVELOPMENT.-But this is peculiarly and distinctively an agricultural
town, the chief staples being butter and cheese, with all farm products yield-
ing well in return to proper cultivation. How changed is the situation in
comparison with three score years ago, about 1830, when the whole territory
of Western New York was in a state of turmoil on account of the famous
anti-rent conflict; and while Friendship was practically exempt from the
distressing influences of the period the people were nevertheless affected by
it and its occurrences were a subject of comment for many years afterward.
For full thirty years following 1830 no untoward event occurred to mar the
tranquillity of domestic life or check the onward march of progress in every
local business channel. In 1850 the lumbering period had passed into history
and in place of the primal forest there appeared fine and well cultivated farms,
with excellent dwellings and good out buildings. The whole people seemed
to be imbued with a desire to become prosperous, and parents aimed to edu-
cate and train their children in useful branches. Schools were established,
churches were founded and the opportunities of knowledge were within the
reach of all the people. Indeed, the claim has been made, and with much
reason, that the inhabitants of Friendship have ever earnestly looked to the
educational and spiritual welfare of their families, even from the days of
pioneer settlement. As early as 1810 Pelatiah Morgan taught a primitive
school, and Samuel Vary and Rev. Robert Hubbard conducted religious
services about the same time. A Presbyterian church organization was
effected as early as 1815, and soon afterward the Methodist Episcopal work-
ers gained a permanent foothold. There wese first events in local annals,
which mention suggests the first marriage, that of James Sanford and Sally
Harrison, in 1809. The first birth was that of Sherman Haskins, in 1808.
The first death is said to have been that of Hattie Frier, also in 1808. The
first gristmill was built in 1810 by pioneer Aaron Axtell and Sylvanus Mer-
riman, on the South Branch. Othello Church, the prominent early settler,

FRIENDSHIP. 705


built a gristmill on the village site in 1815, and thus laid the foundation for
the subsequent municipality. Col. King, the land operator, built the third
grist mill, later known as the Baxter mill, in l825. The first sawmill was
also built in 1815, by Ebenezer Steenrod, and in the next year a carding mill
and also fulling mill were in operation. Squire Wardell was the pioneer of
the distilling industry. Among the numerous early tavern keepers, the
pioneer was probably Simeon Gates, who opened public house in May, 1808.
However, a few years later, after the opening of the "State" road through
the town, at least a dozen taverns keepers began business. One of the first
of these was young Hugh J. Higgins, another Ira Hickox, also Elisha Strong
and still others until the tide of travel began to subside, upon which the
tavern stand was put to other use, while its ever accompanying distillery
was removed from the land.

WAR OF 1861-5.--As we have stated, the history of Friendship from
1830 to 1860 was an uneventful period, an era of peace and progress for the
people, in which the resources of the town were fully developed, and the
industrious husbandman reaped the rich fruits of earlier toil. Therefore
when the storm of war came with all its destructive fury, this town was well
prepared to withstand the shock, and we here recall the names of the brave
sons of Friendship who joined the ranks, and many of whom are now sleep-
ing in graves on southern battle fields. According to the best authority
obtainable, the town of Friendship contributed for the service an aggregate
of eighty-one men. These were scattered through the several regiments
in the county, while a number enlisted in commands raised elsewhere in the
state and other states. Through the thoughtful care of interested persons
there has been prepared a reasonably reliable roster of Friendship soldiery,
a ROLL OF HONOR, as appropriately designated, to which the writer has
been given free access, and from which the following list is taken:

Jeremiah Hatch (Prof. Hatch), enlisted July 10, 1862; commissioned captain 130th Regt.
(1st N. Y. Dragoons); in camp at Portage, N. Y., Aug. 18, 1862. joined Regt. Suffolk, Va,
Sept. 12, 1862; died Dec. 21, 1862; buried Friendship, Dec. 27, 1862. William M. Marvin. en-
listed Sept., 1861, Co. C. 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth, N. C., April 20 1864, prisoner 11
months; died Goldsborough, N. C.; buried Union Cemetery, Ralegh. N. C. Lieut. Samuel
Sortore, enlisted 1861, 5th N. Y. Cav.; re-enlisted 1864; killed near Centerfield, Va., while lead-
ing his company; buried on field. John D. Sortore, enlisted 1861, 5th N. Y. Cav.; served one
year; re-enlisted 1862, 136th N. Y.; died Elmira from amputation of limb. Charles W. Sortore,
enlisted 1863, 1st N. Y. Dragoons; injured Wilderness; died hospital; buried Philadelphia.
Charles A. Miner, enlisted Sept., 1861, 5th N. Y. Cav.; killed Winchester, Va., 1864; buried
Friendship. George Voorhees, enlisted 1863, 85th N. Y.;captured at Plymouth April 20,1864;
died Andersonville Aug. 23,1864. Edwin R. Voorhees, enlisted 1861, 85th N. Y.; captured
Plymouth, April 20, 1864; died Andersonville, Oct. 25, 1864. Evart Voorhees, enlisted 1862,
136th N. Y.; killed Reseca, Ga.; buried on field. William 0. Church, enlisted l862, 136th N.
Y.; killed Reseca, Ga.; buried on field. James Braedon, enlisted 1862, Co. K., 136th N. Y.;
killed near Atlanta. Ga., 1864; buried on field. (Brave Comrade Braedon well knew the cruel
treatment of Union prisoners by the enemy, and told his companions he would never surrender;
and when called upon by the confederates to do so, emphatically refused, and was ruthlessly
shot down.) Addison Howell, enlisted 1862, Co. K. 136th; killed Chancellorsville, 1863. Perry
Smith, enlisted April, 1861, 23d Inf.; died and buried near Arlington Heights, Va., 1862. Alick
Matthews, enlisted Aug. 1862, Co. K, 136th N.Y.; mortally wounded, Reseca, Ga., 1864; buried
Chattanooga. John Eldridge, enlisted April, 1861, 23d N. Y.; veteran; re-enlisted Jan., 1864. 1st N.

706 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY. N. Y.


Y. Dragoons; killed Travillian Station, Va, June 11, 1864. Jefferson Scott, enlisted April 21, 1861,
Co. B. 23d N. Y., for two years; re-enlisted Jan., 1864, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons; wounded right
knee Cold Harbor, May 31,1864; died June 18,1864; buried Friendship. Newton Rew, enlisted
1861. 5th N. Y. Cav.; captured 1863; died Andersonville March, 1864. William Mandeville, enlisted
1861, 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth, April 20, 1864; died Andersonville, Aug. 21, 1864. Je-
rome Tyier (colored), enlisted Sept., 1861, 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth; died Andersonville,
July 19, 1864. Marshall Strong, enlisted 1861. 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth; died Anderson-
ville. Stillman Baker, enlisted Dec., 1863, 5th N. Y. H. A.; killed by cars near Harper's Ferry,
Va. Frederick Osborn, enlisted 1861, 23d N. Y.; veteran; re-enlisted 1863, 5th N. Y. Cav.;
killed Piedmont, Va, June 5, 1864. He was ten rods in advance of his company, waving his
sword. Buried on field. Leander Phillips, enlisted 1861, 85th N. Y.; died Meridian Hill, 1862;
buried Nile. Ocellas Lanphear, enlisted 1861, 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth April 20, 1864;
died Andersonville; Chauncey Stebbins, enlisted 1861, 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth, April
20, 1864; died Andersonville, Aug. 22, 1864. W. Henry Potter, enlisted 1861; captured Ply-
mouth, April 20, 1864; died Andersonville, May 9, 1864. Wallace Clapp, enlisted 1861. 85th
N. Y.; died Friendship. 1864. Francis Henry, enlisted 1863, 5th N. Y. Art.; died hospital
Elmira, Feb., 1864. George B. Tanner, enlisted 1861, 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth; died
Andersonville, June 7, 1864. George Phelps, enlisted 1861, Co. C, 85th N. Y.; died Anderson-.
ville, July 28, 1864. Silas Clark, enlisted 1862, 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth; died
Andersonville. Perry V. Sisson, volunteer substitute for Orrin Sisson home on sick leave;
Perry discharged; re-enlisted; captured Plymouth; died Andersonville. William D. Bradley,
non-enlisted volunteer; captured Plymouth, April 20, 1864; prisoner 11 months Andersonville,
Milan, Charleston and Florence; died March, 1865, Fortress Monroe. Ira Bassett, enlisted
1862, 13th H. A.; died Norfolk, Va, Oct. 9,1862. George Dallas (colored), enlisted 1864, 31st
N. Y.; killed Virginia, 1864. Henry Morgan, enlisted 1861, 5th Cav. George Coon, enlisted
1862, Co. K, 136th N. Y.; died Dec., 1872. John Stickney, veteran; enlisted Oct. 21. 1861;
re-enlisted Sept. 20, 1864, 189th N. Y.; died March 23, 1870. Nathan Merritt, enlisted Sept.
28,1864, Co. K. 136th N. Y.; discharged June 15, 1865; died Friendship. DeWitt Voorhees;
drowned in Shenandoah at Snicker's Gap. James McCarthy, ran away from home and enlisted
at 16 years; killed at Travillian Station June 12,1864; last words: "Tell father I did not die a
coward." Thomas L. Pollard, enlisted Co. B. 189th N. Y.; record unknown. Alpheus Vars,
record unknown. Isaac N. Strong, enlisted Co. K. 136th N. Y.; record unknown. Erastus
Pardy, enlisted 1861, Co. K. 85th N. Y.; captured Plymouth; died Andersonville July 14, 1864.
Daniel Sortore, enlisted Co. F, 104th N. Y.; died Salisbury Feb. 14,1864. Almeron Hazzard,
enlisted Aug. 14,1862, 109th N. Y.; died Nov. 1,1864. James B. Pierce, enlisted 1861; died
Nashville, Tenn., 1862. H. L. Piper, enlisted 1861; died Roanoke Island April 20, 1862.
Robert H. White, enlisted Oct. 23, 1863, private Co. E, 3d Wis. Cav.; died Jan. 20, 1874.
Chas. C. Steenrod, enlisted January, 1864, Co. F, 1st N. Y. Dragoons; killed battle of Wilderness,
at Todd's Town, May 7, 1864. Charles McOmber, enlisted April 21, 1861, Co. F. 23d N. Y.;
killed Fredericksburg, Va, 1862; buried on field. Talcott B. Cotton, enlisted April, 1861;
served during war; died Friendship. Capt. Charles R. Cotton, veteran; enlisted April, 1861,
for 3 months; re-enlisted August, 1861, 69th N. Y.; Com. captain Co. G. 160th N. Y.; killed
Pleasant Hill, La., April 9,1864; buried on field. LeRoy Rogers, enlisted Sept. 16, 1864, Co.
B, 189th N.Y.; died Hinsdale Nov. 5, 1873. George Snyder, enlisted Aug. 13, 1862, Co. K.
136th N. Y.; died of wounds received Rocky-Faced Ridge, Ga.; buried Louisville, Ky. Zach-
ariah Barber, enlisted August, 1862; wounded Gettysburg July, 1863; died Washington, D. C.
William S. Howard, enlisted Scio, 1st L. I.; died January, 1863. Patsey Madden, enlisted 1st
N. Y. Dragoons; died in prison. Charles H. Witter, enlisted 1861, 85th N. Y.; captured Ply-
mouth; died Andersonville. Julius Crandall, enlisted May 21, 1862, 127th N. Y.; died Tusca-
loosa, Ala., a prisoner. Alvordo Eastman, enlisted 136th Inf.; died at Fairfax C. H., Nov. 17,
1862. William P. Carmer, enlisted Aug. 29, 1862, 160th Penn. Vol Inf.; died rebel prison,
Jan. 1, 1864. Oscar Dana, enlisted Jan. 14, 1863, Battery L, 4th U. S. Art.; died Friendship,
May 12, 1880. Spencer France, enlisted l9th N. Y.; died March 2, 1883. Frank Van Arsdale,
enlisted Dec. 28, 1863, 141st N. Y.; died May 14, 1882. Joseph Smith, enlisted 1861; buried
Friendship. Clarence Hatch. enlisted 1st N. Y. Dragoons; died at home. Samuel K. Osborn,
enlisted 52d Penn.; died Friendship. Elias Coats, enlisted 23d N. Y.; died Friendship. Ly-
man McHenry. regiment unknown; buried Nile. Andrew I. Allen, regiment unknown; buried
Nile. Andrew J. Cornwell, enlisted August, 1862, Co. B. 136th N. Y.; wounded Gettysburg,
July 3, 1863; died Feb. 5, 1888, Port Allegany, Pa. Luther B. Main, enlisted 1861. 23d N;
died at home. George W. Stout, enlisted Co. C, 76th N. Y.; died March 2, 1864. Milton
Pearce, enlisted in 1863, in Indiana; died at home; buried Friendship. E. R. M. Rigdon, en-
listed 1862; died at home. W. Ward Rice, enlisted July 22, 1862, 121st N. Y.; died Aug. 14,
1891. Shedrick A. Evans, enlisted Sept. 16, 1861, 76th N. Y.; died April 30, 1892. Col. Abi-

FRIENDSHIP. 707


jah Wellman, entered service as major, 85th N. Y., September, 1861; died Friendship. (See
biography.) Capt. A. A. Crandall, enlisted Feb. 25,1863. 53d Penn.; wounded Chancellorsville
and Spottsylvania; prisoner Andersonville 9 months; escaped; discharged March 20, 1865.*

*Jonas G. Wellman, son of Dr. Jonas, born Aug. 31, 1838, enlisted April 30, 1861, Co. I, 27th N. Y.;
shot through leg July 21, 1861, at Bull Run, captured and prisoner at Libby until Oct. 5, 1861, paroled, reached
Friendship Oct. 15, 1881, leg amputated Nov. 5, 1861; discharged Dec. 15, 1862.


From 1860 to 1890 the population of Friendship increased from 1,889 to
2,216. This was the natural and permanent growth that has characterized
the town's history from its organization, and has been divided between the
village and outlying localities so far as benefits are concerned. The village
is in no sense a manufacturing center, but a trading point of importance in
the heart of a rich agricultural region. There has never been any separa-
tion for purposes of local government, and the one was dependent upon the
other for its maintenance. The lumbering period in the town's history is
now a thing of the past, the numerous sawmills have long since disappeared
and in their stead we have now large agricultural interests and their equally
valuable adjuncts, the creamery and the cheese factories. The Herkimer
county methods of successful dairying were introduced to this section by
the Messrs. Rice and developed by them to the great advantage of the general
public. The Friendship Creamery, located at the village, is the only indus-
try of its kind in the town, while the cheese factories are 5 in number, distin-
guished and owned as follows: The Nile factory, owned by Costello & Wyant
(600 cows. 200,000 Ibs. cheese annually); the Barr factory, about 3 miles
southeast of the village, owned by Barr & McCarthy; the East Friendship
factory, Costello & Wyant, proprietors, and the North Branch factory, the
property of Fred Harbeck (300 cows).

SCHOOLS.-Of the educational system of the town at large the records
furnish but little information that may be regarded as reliable, while ever
doubtful tradition is equally untrustworthy. However, all past writers
have agreed that the first school was taught by Pelatiah Morgan, beginning,
it is said, about 1810 or 11, but its location is now unknown. Under com-
petent authority, the first school was opened soon after the formation of the
town, and the voters in townmeeting appropriated for school support "all
the money which the law allows." The first division into districts was
somewhat informal, and only 2 were maintained previous to 1818, when a 3d
was added; and in 1819 No. 4 was created from Nos. 1 and 2. Nos, 5, 6 and
7 were laid off in 1820, and No. 8 in 1821. The districts at that time differed
materially from those of more recent years, for we must remember that
previous to 1822 the town comprised the entire southwest part of the county.
After a portion of Wirt had been taken off the territory of Friendship was
re-districted, and from the order of things then established the present
school system of the town has grown and developed, now more perfect and
beneficial in practical results than at any time in its history. As now con-
stituted the districts number 8, each provided with a good comfortable
schoolhouse, while the village high school ranks among the foremost educa-

708 HISTORY OP ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.


tional institutions of the county. During the current year ending July 31,
1895,15 teachers were employed, while the number of children attending
school was 497. The value of school property is estimated at $35,000, and
the town's assessed valuation is $1,008,216. Of public school moneys there
was apportioned to the town $2,024.71, and by local tax the additional sum of
$7,214.48 was raised.

Supervisors.-John Higgins, 1815-16; Samuel Derby, 1817-19; Sylvanus Merriman, 1820-25; Asa Le-
Davidson, 1826; Josiah Utter, 1827-37; Samuel S. Carter, 1838; Martin Scott, 1839-40, and 1842; Galen B.
Everts, 1841; Henry Baxter, 1843; Luther Stowell, 1844; William Pardy, 1845; Wm. H. King, 1846-48;
Samuel C. Cotton, 1849; F. L. Stowell, 1850-51; Jerome B. Harrison, 1852-53, and 1856; Wm. H. King,
1854-55, 1857, 1862-63, and 1865; Roderick Stebbins, 1858-61, and 1873; George W. Robinson, 1864;
Abijah J. Wellman, 1866-72; Robert A. Scott, 1874; W. Ward Rice, 1875-76; Asher W. Miner, 1877-78; S.
McArthur Norton, 1879-81; Herman Rice, 1882-83; Philip W. Coyle, 1884; Fred C. Mulkin, 1885, 1887-88;
F. L. Dayton, 1886; Christopher S. Blossom, 1889-90; Manley W. Hobart, 1891-93; Ralph D. Rowley,
1894-96.

TOWN OFFICERS, 1895-96.-Ralph D. Rowley, supervisor; William A. Hart, town clerk; (he served in
1854, '55, '58, '59, '82, '90, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96.) John B. Whitford, Edgar A. Hewitt, William H. Scott
and Frederick A. McKee, justices of the peace; Ambrose P. Willard, Nicholas Wetherbee and Alonzo C.
Taft, assessors; Abner Smalley, highway commissioner; James W. Jordon. overseer of the poor; Horace
Corwin, collector; Rev. Francis M. Alvord, James M. Bullard and Albert G. Hinman, commissioners of
excise.

Return to [ New York History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]