History of Friendship Village, New York (It's
A Centennial Memorial
History of Allegany County, New York
John S. Minard, Esq. Historian
Mrs. Georgia Drew Andrews, Editor.
W. A. Fergusson & Co., Alfred, N. Y. 1896
Transcribed by: Diana Gates Reinhart
ABOUT SOME OF THE PEOPLE.-Prof. Thomas H. Armstrong was born at Pompey, N.
Y., Nov. 15, 1864, was graduated at Brockport Normal School in 1890 as president of his class.
He taught at Pompey Academy for 1 year, after which he removed to Andover and there
remained as principal of the school until he came to Friendship in 1893, since which time he
has been principal of the Friendship High School. Professor Armstrong is superintendent of
Tully Assembly and secretary of the summer school. Dec. 29, 1891, he married Caroline M.
Shourds of Wayne county. She was graduated from Brockport Normal School in 1890.
Prof. James Baxter, son of John W., and grandson of John Baxter, a maimed soldier of the
Revolution, was born at Palatine, N. Y., Nov. 28, 1819. Family tradition says he descends
from a Capt. Richard Baxter, of the 6th Irish Vol. Regt., sent to America by the English
government in 1634 to protect the colonies from the Indians. Both his grandparents were
brought by their parents to this country from Scotland in infancy. Two brothers of his pater-
nal grandmother, Seth and David Whitlock of Connecticut, were quite prominent violinists. In
June, 1820, John W. Baxter and family made their home in Friendship. Here James grew to
manhood, the third of his parents' 12 children. He had more than the usual hardships of pio-
neer children, for his was a delicate, sensitive temperament, keenly alive to suffering and enjoy-
ment and peculiarly susceptible to the many diseases incident. His musical talents early mani-
fested themselves in attempts to manufacture various musical instruments. At 14 he was
apprenticed to a master millwright for 7 years study, at 16 he was playing the violin at parties,
the bugle at "trainings" and "singing in the choir." He early began to teach singing classes
gratuitously. These classes developed into paying ones of vocal and instrumental music, which
by the time he was 21 occupied the entire winter season. He had never seen a music teacher
(aside from the church chorister), nor a book of instruction except church music books and one
on bugle music. In 1847 he was sent to Rochester to purchase instruments for a brass band.
While driving back he mastered each instrument and prepared a score of the new kind of
music, was competent to teach it, and at once organized in Bolivar the first brass band in the
county. Before 1851 he personally organized and instructed brass bands in Friendship, Phillips-
ville, Angelica, Almond, Nunda, Pike, Rushford, Cuba, Hinsdale, Limestone, Bradford, James-
town, Smethport and Coudersport, and taught singing schools at Friendship, Phillipsville, Scio,
Wellsville, White Creek, New Hudson, Nile, Richburg, Ceres, Bolivar, Genesee, Farmer's Val-
ley, Smethport, Middaugh Hill and elsewhere. He purchased in the 40's (and still owns) the
first piano forte known in this section. His skill and fame as an instructor had become wide-
spread, and in deference to urgent requests from many he opened in Friendship, on March,
1853, the first institution of musical learning in the United States, (see page 714). Prof. Bax-
ter's methods were original and successful. In connection with his institute he had a publish-
ing house, from which several musical works written by him were issued, Baxter University
Record, a monthly magazine, and other publications. Prof. Baxter has had the usual fate of
men far in advance of their age. He has met with many obstacles and many persecutions.
But it is pleasant to note that he is now beginning to be appreciated as never before, that as
musical progress has advanced, he is seen in a clearer light as a true benefactor of the people,
as a high priest at the Temple of Music, one whose name should be revered and honored. For
the last 12 years he has given his time to the preparation of a series of instruction books based
on his methods and 40 years of experience. Eight volumes are now in hand.
Christopher Breadon, son of Christopher and Margaret Breadon, was born June 17, 1829,
near Belfast, Ireland. His father died there in 1867 and his mother in 1878. Christopher
Breadon came to America in 1850, and settled in Friendship and has since made his home here.
He worked for a few months on the Erie railroad, then purchased a farm a mile and a half
west of Nile, and now has 220 acres, and conducts farming. In March, 1855, he married Fanny,
daughter of John Brown, of Ireland. They have 3 children, Hugh J., Wealthy M. (Mrs. Ho-
mer Kellogg, of Michigan), and Freddie R. Mr. and Mrs. Breadon are members of the M. E.
Lavern Burdick, son of Silas and Phebe (Crandall) Burdick, was born in Brookfield, Madi-
son Co., Nov. 4, 1843. He attended the common schools, worked on the farm and at carpen-
tering. In 1864, Sept. 1, he enlisted in Co. B, 189th N. Y. V. In the winter of 1865 he was
severely injured in Virginia while building winter quarters, and honorably discharged for that
disability in March. Mr. Burdick was ill for 2 years after leaving the service. He is a member
of Hatch Post, No. 241. In 1868 he went to Rhode Island and was engaged in the milling
business there until 1877, he then came to Nile, purchased a gristmill (built by Jacob Stebbins
over 50 years ago, and has 3 "run" of stone), and has operated it since. In 1875 Mr. Burdick
married Adelaide E. Hofer. Their children are Floyd M. and Zora F. Mr. Burdick is a mem-
ber of the Knights of Maccabee's Tent, No. 13, of Friendship. Mr. Burdick is a member of
the Seventh-day Baptist church of Friendship, and a Seventh-day Baptist in his religious belief.
722 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
James T. Burdick, son of James T. and Lucinda (Green) Burdick, was born Dec. 12, 1843
educated at Alfred Academy, and learned the painter's trade which he still follows, employing
several hands. In 1862 he was one of the organizers of Co. G, 160th N. Y. Vols., and was first
corporal, next sergeant, then acting first lieutenant. April 8, 1864, he was captured at Pleasant
Hill, La., and held six months in Texas as a rebel prisoner. In 1865 he returned to Alfred and
married Lucy Beebe, who died in 1868. Their only child Leana is also dead. From 1874 he
has lived in Friendship. In 1875 he married Frances Witter. He belongs to Hatch Post, G.
A. R. Col. James T. Burdick, son of James, born in Alfred, was colonel in the militia for many
years, and kept the hotel at Alfred some years. He married Lucinda Green. Of their five
children James T. is the sole survivor. Col. Burdick died in 1843, his wife in March, 1893.
Both were Seventh-day Baptists.
Samuel D. Burdick, born in Berlin, N. Y., in 1843, came with his father, William Burdick
to Wirt in 1836. William died at Nile in 1886. In 1862 Samuel enlisted and served first in,
Co. B, 23d N. Y. Vols., next in Co. E, 20th N. Y., until discharged in June, 1865. Is a farmer
and member of Hatch Post.
David Cornwall came from Otsego county to Friendship in the spring of 1818. He had 12
children. His oldest son, Samuel, born 1810, came with his father, married Nancy, daughter
of Caleb Hazzard, had 12 children, and has always been a farmer, but crippled since 1872 from
the effects of a tree falling on him. Merritt and Andrew, sons of Samuel, were soldiers in the
War of 1861-5.
David F. Carnahan, son of David, was born in Columbus in 1808. His father came to
Friendship in 1826, and here David F. found and married Rhoda, daughter of Rufus Green;
who also came here in 1826. David had four children. He died in 1876. His only surviving
son, Myron W., was born Feb. 23, 1848, and has always lived on the place where he was born.
In 1872 he married Mary, daughter of Ezra Green. Their only child, Mary, died at two years
of age. Mrs. Carnahan died July 30, 1874. Myron was engaged in carpentering for many
years, but now devotes himself to the culture of his farm of 300 acres. Rufus W. Carnahan,
brother of Myron, was shot April 30, 1890, at Clarksville by Henry Smith and died the same
day. He has two sisters, Mary J. (Mrs. Merritt Sortore of Wirt), Amanda, (Mrs. Orrin Corn-
wall of Burtville, Pa.).
David C. Chadwick, son of John and Caroline (Rouse) Chadwick, was born Aug. 15, 1841,
at Liverpool, Ohio. His father dying when David was six years old, the lad lived with an
uncle, Joseph Chadwick, until he was 14, then commenced life for himself. While drilling oil
wells at Mecca, Ohio, the news of the fall of Ft. Sumter reached him, and with others he walked
12 miles to Warren and enlisted, first for three months, but soon after for three years, in Co.
F. 24th Ohio. He was with his regiment in the battles of Cheat Mountain and Greenbrier,
Va., and went with it to Louisville, Ky. He was in hospital at Cincinnati most of the summer
of 1862, and was discharged for disability at Louisville, Ky., Dec. 17, 1862. He then went to
Saginaw, Mich., where he lived 11 years and married Carrie L., daughter of John and Rhoda
Staples. Children, Eva M. (Mrs. F. C. Reid, of Salamanca), Charles C., John, and Alice (dec.)
Mr. C. owned a stave and shingle mill in Michigan and dealt extensively in staves. He came
to Friendship, Aug. 18, 1878, and has been hotel proprietor most of the time since. Is a
Republican and Odd Fellow.
Ezekiel R. Clark, (son of Waite Clark), was born in 1816, in Waterford, Ct. In 1823 his
father moved to Wirt. Ezekiel was educated at Oxford Academy, taught 27 terms of school,
was justice of the peace for 20 years, merchant and postmaster for 20 years, and notary for
many years. He married Olive, daughter of Isaac Byam, of Ulysses, Pa. His widow is the
wife of W. H. Stillman. He also held office of school commissioner and transacted much public
business. He died July 5, 1889.
Milo Corbin was born in Chenango county, Oct. 16, 1831. His father, Daniel, came to
Friendship when Milo was a lad. Milo Corbin married Ellen M. Foster. They had 5 children.
He died July 16, 1880, his widow survives him. His oldest son, Harmon A., was born in May
1858, was educated at the public schools of Friendship, and married Myra Miner, adopted
daughter of Hon. A. W. Miner, and has 2 sons and 2 daughters. Mr. Corbin was unanimously
elected supervisor in the spring of 1896 of the town of Friendship, where he now resides, re-
ceiving the nominations of the four political parties for the position.
John C. Corwin, son of Edward and Olive (Colgrove) Corwin, was born in Cazenovia, Jan.
5, 1817. In 1822 his farther moved to McKean county Pa., and lived in that state until 1879.
In 1840 John C. Corwin married Julia A. Robbins of Salem, N. J. They had 8 children, 5
survive. Their oldest son, Oscar A., who served in the late war, was in the regular army. In
1879 the family located in Friendship, where Mr. Corwin at once engaged in farming. Ed-
ward Corwin was born Feb. 13, 1759, on Long Island, and when 17 years old enlisted in the
Revolutionary army, and served over 6 years and received a pension. He died at the age of
91 years. Sept. 15, 1849. His father, Edward Corwin, grandfather of John C., was pressed into
the service during the French and Indian War, and never returned to his family. John C.
Corwin departed this life at his home in Friendship, Feb. 9, 1896, having attained the age of 79
years, Jan. 5, 1896. His widow, 3 sons and 2 daughters survive him.
Ira and Chauncey Cotton, sons of Thomas, and natives of Middletown, Conn., settled in
Friendship in Jan., 1816. Ira married Sally, daughter of Talcott Gould a Revolutionary soldier.
Their daughter, Sally A., married, first, Deacon Franklin Taylor, and resided in Friendship,
where he died. She then married his brother, Dr. Austin Taylor, and moved to New Hudson
and later to Appleton City, Mo. She died in 1890. Her brother, Samuel C., born April 7,
1815, in Delware county, came here with his parents and has since made his home here. He
married when 19, Almira, daughter of Cady R. Walker of Cuba. Children, Helen (Mrs. C.
Drew), Hubbard and Henry. Mr. Cotton was "justice" for 30 years, and held prominent local
offices. In 1855 he was chosen sheriff on the first Republican ticket nominated In the county
and has been an active Republican since. He helped organize the first temperance society of
Friendship. Ira was assessor many years and died Jan., 1864, his wife some years earlier.
Chauncey Cotton, son of Thomas, married Anna Gould and had 7 children. Their son Charles
was a captain in the civil war, killed at Pleasant Hill, La. Talcott, also a soldier, died soon
after the war. Cyrus H., son of Chauncey, now in Minnesota, was a prominent teacher in the
Academy here more than 40 years ago. Samuel C. Cotton has lived in the town probably
longer than any other man except Kendrick Hyde. Hubbard Cotton, son of Samuel C., owns
the original Cotton homestead.
Samuel P. Crandall, son of Paul and Prudence Chapman Crandall, born Dec. 13, 1792, in
Rhode Island, married Jan. 1, 1818, Anna, daughter of Ezra and Anna Park Crandall (born in
Connecticut Nov. 9, 1797, died at Friendship March 22, 1869) and died at Friendship Sept. 17,
1878. In 1822 he located as a farmer in Wirt, as it is now called, purchased and developed 150
acres of land. Children : Samuel P., born Sept. 7, 1818, married Marian A. Weber; Ezra,
born June 8, 1820, married Mary Smith, who died in Milton, Wis., in 1888; Anna (Mrs. Rod-
ney T. Smith), born Dec. 13,1821, died May 6,1855; John C., born Oct. 22, 1824, married
Mrs. Sarah A. Green (widow of Pbilo), who died Nov. 3, 1889; Almira (Mrs. W. W. Gardner),
born Aug. 19, 1827; Rosena (Mrs. Elisha Hyde), born Sept. 30, 1829; William D., born March
4, 1832, married Sarah C. Coon; Charles C., born April 3, 1834, died Oct. 24, 1895; Henry W.,
born June 22, 1836, died July 31, 1856; Laura M. (Mrs. M. T. Mills), born Feb. 8, 1840. The
first three were born in Brookfield, N. Y., the others in Friendship except Mrs. Mills, who was
born in Wirt. John C. Crandall, fourth of above children, attended common schools and Alfred
Academy, learned the carpenter trade and was engaged in it until 1864 when he enlisted in Co.
A, 85th N. Y. Regt., and served until the close of the war. He built the Crandall opera house
in 1866, by contract, for James Baxter, and is its present owner. Forming a partnership with
Professor James Baxter and A. N. Johnson under firm name of J. Baxter & Co., they estab-
lished the Allegany Academy of Music. Mr. Johnson retired in 1870, and the school became
the Baxter University of Music. The firm published musical books, etc. Mr. Crandall is now
a dealer in real estate and musical goods.
Abram C. Crandall, born in Rhode Island, came to Alfred in 1815, and six years later set-
tled in Friendship. His wife was Sarah Maxson, of Brookfield, N. Y. He was agent for the
Holland Land Company, and sold 50,000 acres for them. He was also an extensive farmer and
died about 1870. He was a Seventh-day Baptist. His sons were Enoch A. and Enos P.
William A. Dayton, son of Stephen, was born in 1829, in Pittstown, N. Y. He came to
Wellsville in 1851, and was a farmer and teamster. In 1852 he married Cynthia S. Harrison.
They have two children, Frank L. of Buffalo, Clara (Mrs. S. V. Vaughn of Cuba). Mr. Day-
ton has been highway commissioner of Friendship for two terms, and has been selling agent
for the East Friendship cheese factory, which was built by a stock company about 1870, and
makes about 75,000 pounds of cheese annually from the milk of 200 cows.
John Fisher, son of John and Clarissa (Palmer) Fisher, was born March 3, 1832, in Willet.
He lived on his father's farm until of age, when he moved to Triangle, and was engaged in
farming until Sept. 4, 1861, when he enlisted in Co. D, 76th N. Y. Inf. He was discharged Oct.
29, 1863, on account of wound received at the battle of Gettysburg. Mr. Fisher was in most
of the battles in which his regiment was engaged, and was captured at the battle of Bull Run,
but was paroled on the field. He was sergeant major, then 2d lieutenant, and, when discharged,
was 1st lieutenant. He is a member of Hatch Post. After the war he lumbered in Broome
county. In 1866 he settled in Friendship, and in 1880 engaged in the foundry business. He is
a member of Cuba Lodge, I. O. O. F. His children are, Sarah (Mrs. George Castiday of
Lincoln, Neb.), Ross and Kate.
Henry N. Foster, son of Hosea, was born May 7, 1846, in Greene, Chenango Co., N. Y.
The same year his people settled in Clarksville, and he has since been a resident of the county.
724 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
In 1872 he married Frances Pearse, daughter of Levi Pearse, and settled in Friendship. He is
a farmer and dealer in live stock. Children: William H., Charles L., and Clarence C. The
family attend the Baptist church.
George W. Fries, born at Miffiinburg, Pa., Oct. 17, 1836, was educated at Lewisburg (now
Bucknell) University, from which be was graduated in 1856. In June, 1857, he was appointed
station agent of the Erie railroad at Friendship and held that position until his resignation in
May, 1888. In November, 1888, he purchased the Friendship Register and has since been its
editor and proprietor. He married first, Oct. 21, 1871, Mary Fredonia Sisson, of Friendship.
She died May 22, 1882. Children: Alice Wolfe, born July 30, 1874, died Oct. 29, 1880, and
William H., born April 21, 1878. On Oct. 3, 1883, Mr. Fries married Eliza B. Crandall, of
Little Genesee. No children have blessed this union, and they adopted a babe, Pearl, who has
reached 10 years. Mr. Fries has been long connected with the Board of Education and was
some years its president, is in accord with those elements that promise the uplifting and better-
ment of mankind, and has been secretary of the County Historical Society from its organization.
Albert E. Gray, son of Sylvester and Harriet (Wood) Gray, was born in New Hudson,
Aug. 26, 1865. Receiving common school advantages of education, he commenced business
for himself. when but 19 as a farmer. In 1893 he established a livery business in Friendship
where he resides.
William Akers Hart was born in Groton, Tompkins county, March 30, 1829, the fourth of
seven children of Joseph S. and Theodosia (Stout) Hart. The father was a hatter, a thrifty
man, who gave his children a fair common school education. However, when thirteen years
old William came to Friendship with Joseph R. Reynolds and wife, arriving here March 22,
1842. In 1848 he became a permanent resident of Allegany county and in 1850 began to
"clerk it" for Arba Wellman, and later worked for I. D. Hartshorn and Colwell & Co., in the
same capacity, but in 1857 bought Colwell's interest and became partner with Mr. Hartshorn.
In 1859 he sold and soon established a general store on the present postoffice site, where he
continued business until 1886. For many years Mr. Hart has been connected with the local
postoffice as postmaster or deputy, and also has been town clerk for several terms. Jan. 16,
1855, William A. Hart married Mary S. Hickok. They have three children: Lewis Eugene
(died Jan. 30, 1883), Bertha (died in infancy), and M. Grace, of Friendship.
Lansing Hobart, a native of Cortland county, settled in this town, and conducted farming.
He died in September, 1884. His widow is a resident of Friendship. His children are, Charles,
an engineer on the Erie railroad, lives in Hornellsville; Arthur, Harriet, Ella and Manley live
Manley W. Hobart was born June 12, 1849, and has been a lifelong resident of the
town. He owns and occupies the old homestead and has been principally engaged in farming.
In 1891, in company with Mr. Latta, he bought out the original stockholders of the Friendship
Creamery, organized in 1891, put in a separator which has a capacity for making 1,000 pounds
of butter per day. In 1893 it averaged 300 pounds per day. In 1880 Mr. Hobart married
Mary Guilford of Belfast. Their children are, Lotta, Ruth and Seth. Mr. Hobart was elected
supervisor in 1891 and 1892 on the independent ticket. He is a member of the society of
Abel Hosley. who married Mary E., daughter of William Niver, was born in Massachu-
setts, in 1822, came to Friendship at the age of 15 with his parents who settled on a farm on
East Hill. After his school education was finished he engaged in lumbering in Bolivar where
he resided for several years, then returned to Friendship where he died in 1879. The children
of Abel and Mary E. (Niver) Hosley are, W. A. Hosley of Seneca Falls, Mrs. I. E. Briggs of
Erie, Pa., Mrs. B. G. Sisson of Cuba and Miss Lillian Hosley of Friendship.
James H. Howard, son of Leonard and Nancy (Wood) Howard, was born June 9, 1831, in
Kirkland, Oneida Co. In 1851 he married Mary E. Osborne, came to Friendship and worked
at all kinds of mason work. They had one son Olon G., who married Cornelia Brown, had one
child, Edith A., and died in 1889 aged 42. Mr. Howard married, second, Mary, daughter of
Wm. Potter, Aug. 8, 1862. Mr. Howard enlisted in Co, K, 136th N. Y. S. V., served through
the war being mustered out Sept. 22, 1865. He was in 22 battles, and was made a prisoner
March 19, 1865, and confined two weeks in Libby Prison. After the war he continued mason
work until 1888. In 1869 he bought the farm which has since been his home. Is a member of
Hatch Post, G. A. R., and has belonged to Van Campen Lodge, I. O. O. F., since 1871.
Timothy Hyde born in Vermont, settled 1804 at Belmont as a farmer. His wife's maiden
name was Philena Davis. They had six children. Evander Hyde, son of Timothy, was born
in Friendship, April 9, 1818. His business has been farming and lumbering, devoting over 11
years to the latter. He married Amanda, daughter of William Niver, in 1831. Children, Nellie
(Mrs. Lorenzo Waite), Mary C. Mrs. Hyde is a daughter of one of the pioneers, and is con-
nected with numerous early families.
Alvia Jordan, son of Andrew and Charity (Nessell) Jordan was born Jan. 5, 1838, in Cherry
Valley, N. Y. When ten vears old he came with his father and family to Wirt and was brought
up a farmer. Andrew Jordan died in 1879, his wife in 1869, 8 children. Alvia enlisted in
September, 1861, in Co. C, 85th N. Y. Vols., was made sergeant, was with his regiment in its
numerous engagements until he was captured in April, 1864, at Plymouth, N. C., was held
prisoner in Andersonville prison several months, then at Charleston, S. C., and was transferred to
Florence, S. C. From this prison Mr. Jordan and others escaped in December, 1864, and while es-
caping lived for 22 days on raw meat, etc. When within 40 miles of Union troops they were recap-
tured, placed in the state prison at Wilmington, N. C., and confined in a room eight feet square
with no light except what came through the keyhole. In a few days they were taken to Salis-
bury, N. C., from whence Mr. Jordan again escaped and reached the Union line at Goldsbor-
rough, N. C., was exchanged and reached home March 28, 1865, "a living skeleten." He was
wounded in the right thigh at the battle of Fair Oaks. Is member of Hatch Post, G. A. R.
He married in 1865 Hannah, daughter of Thomas J. and Nancy M. (Thurston) Van Velser.
Five children, three living.
Nathan Lanphear, son of Samuel, was born in Alfred, Sept. 8, 1825. His father came
from Rhode Island in 1820 with wife Hannah Potter, and a cart and yoke of oxen. He was
both tailor and farmer and built a gristmill in 1836 which he conducted for years. He died
Jan. 17, 1860, his wife Sept. 24, 1878. They had 13 children. Nathan attended Alfred Academy,
came to Nile in 1841, learned carpentry, and followed that and merchandising until he enlisted
in September, 1861, in Co. C, 85th N. Y. V. He was in the numerous engagements fought by
his regiment until April 20, 1864, when he was captured at Plymouth, N. C., conveyed to An-
dersonville prison and confined until Sept. 11, 1864, then taken first to Charleston, S. C., then
to Florence. He was paroled Dec. 6, 1864, when his weight had been reduced from 164 lbs. to
90. He was mustered out Feb. 10, 1865, as commissary sergeant to which he was promoted in
1862. Mr. Lanphear married Susan, daughter of Harvey and Polly Axtell. Six children. Is a
member of Hatch Post, G. A. R., and has been assessor 13 years.
Isaac S. Latta, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Shults) Latta, was born in Geneva, N, Y., in
1706. He had 3 children by wife Polly Ford. He settled in Friendship Feb. 13, 1833, and
died in 1867, his wife survived him 9 years. Their eldest son, Samuel E., born in Geneva Aug.
11, 1822, came to Friendship with his parents, and Sept. 12, 1844, married Orpha E., daughter
of Joseph Gorton. Their children are, Emmett G., patent expert, Adrian C., inventor, Samuel
S., machinist, Frank F., bank cashier, George, an engineer of the Erie railroad, Sheridan G.,
telegrapher for the Erie railroad, and Mrs. Lillie Hinman. Mr. Latta has cleared over 100 acres
of land, is a farmer, and has also kept a store of agricultural and dairy implements for 12 years.
E. G. Latta, son of S. E. and Orpha (Gorton) Latta. was born in Friendship in 1849. He
received a common school education, and, in 1864, when but 15, enlisted without his parent's
consent. His father went to President Lincoln and obtained a special order for his discharge.
After staying at home two months he re-enlisted and served until the close of the war. He
then enlisted for the third time, and served a full term in the regular army, finally leaving the
service in 1869. His first enlistment was in Battery A, 1st U. S. Art., the second, Co. I, 1st
N. Y. Dragoons, the third, Co. A, 4th U. S. Infantry. He was with the engineers who located
the first Pacific railroad through the Rocky Mountains, and was one of the first organized party
of white men who explored the Yellowstone Park, was in the Black Hills before the discovery
of gold there and was twice wounded by Indians in that country. In civil life he has become
known to the mechanical world as the inventor of more improvements in bicycles than any two
other men. Over 100 patents have been granted on his inventions, 80 of which apply to bicy-
cles, and there is not at present made a bicycle that does not contain some of his inventions.
He has been a member of the Board of Education since it was organized in 1887, and president
of the board for several years. He has been chief engineer of the Fire Department, and is a
member of Hatch Post, G. A. R., Allegany Lodge, F. & A. M., and Van Campen Lodge, I. O.
O. F. In 1889 he married Lura M. Brown of Wilcox, Pa. Chlidren, Jefferson B., F. Raymond
and Hubert I.
Adrian C. Latta, second son of S. E. and Orpha E. Latta, was born Dec. 5, 1851. Being
of ingenious turn of mind he made many practical improvements. Among those coming into
general use was the twisted barb wire fence, twisting together two wires and inserting barbs.
In 1861 he constructed 10 rods of wire fence on posts driven by his father. This fence stood
many years in front of the farm homestead in Wirt. After leaving the farm he engaged in the
furniture, harness and patent business in Friendship with his older brother, E. G. Latta. He
was a charter member (April 6, 1881) of the Friendship Fire Department. A. C. Latta and M.
W. Hobart constructed and equipped the first successful creamery in the county, and also intro-
duced the Babcock milk test, paying the patrons the real value of the different grades of milk.
This factory runs the year round and is one of Friendship's best enterprises. Mr. Latta married
726 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y
April 6, 1887, Josephine, daughter of Nathaniel and Sarah Brown of Elmira. Their children
are: Adah E. and Jo Gandhi.
William McClumpha, son of William (a native of Scotland), was born in Florida, N. Y.,
Nov. 20,1821. He married Charlotte A. Davis of that town, and in 1852 they became residents
of Angelica. Three years later Mr. McClumpha purchased the farm he has since made his
home. He has long been an agent for Westinghouse & Co., sells threshing machines, and
other farming implements. He was the first president of Mt. Hope Cemetery organization and
still occupies that position. He and his family are members of the M. E. church. He has one
Hiram McClure, son of James, came from Pompey, N. Y., where he was born, to this town,
locating 2 1/2 miles from the village, where he lived until 1830, when he retured to Pompey and
died in 1857. He gave his farm here to his sons, James and Hiram. In 1857 the latter sold his
interest to James who died in 1867. Then Don McClure, youngest son of Hiram, born Dec.
11, 1845, at Pompey, bought the place, the same year married Helen Mather; one child, Leo-
nore (Mrs. Alonzo B. Hyde). Mr. McClure was made a mason at Binghamton in 1866, where
he took the chapter degrees also. He has been secretary of Allegany Lodge F. & A. M. since
1878, was S. D. in 1872, J. W. in 1873 and 4, Master 1875 and 6, P. S. of Valley Point Chapter
1895 and 6.
Henry Niver, of German descent, came from Sidney, Delaware Co., to Friendship in 1816.
His wife was Catharine Badzer. They had 8 children. Mr. Niver was a farmer. He and his
wife both died in town. William Niver, son of Henry, came with his father, married Keziah,
daughter of Josiah and Mary (Ketchum) Utter in 1818 and settled in Friendship on the farm
where his father resided, now owned by Wm. Crandall. Mr. Niver was a farmer and lumber
man. He died April 29, 1875. Mrs. Niver died July 21, 1864. Four of their 3 sons and 5
daughters are living: Amanda (Mrs. Evander Hyde); Mary E. (Mrs. Abel Hosley), Experience
(Mrs. Joseph Cole of Jamestown), Emma (Mrs. Charles Knight of Brockwayville, Pa.), William
(a leading physician of Brockwayville, Pa., where he died in November, 1893, after a long and
very useful life).
Timothy Pearse, M. D., was born in Bristol, R. I., Feb. 14, 1774, and died in Friendship,
Feb. 27, 1852. He was a graduate of Yale College, made a specialty of surgery. He was the
first physician of the town coming here when the country was a wilderness, and had a large
practice extending many miles. He married Rhoda Holbrook, of Uxbridge, Mass., who died
April 4, 1841. Of their nine children three survive: Alonzo, now living in San Bernardino, Cal.,
Lydia, widow of Francis Graves, and Marilla, widow of Rev. Nathaniel Hammond. These
ladies reside in Friendship. Their brother Richard, born in 1799, died in 1894 at Moline, Ill.,
at the age of 95 years. Levi W. Pearse, son of Dr. Timothy, born Dec. 11, 1805 in Sudbury,
Vt., came when a small boy with his father to Friendship, married Sarah C. Heath, of Pike,
Wyoming Co., and was an extensive lumberman and farmer. He was a leading Baptist, and
died Dec. 22, 1892. His wife died Jan. 31, 1870. Two of their children attained mature years,
William W. (died in 1866), Frances (Mrs. Henry N. Foster). Rev. Nathaniel Hammond was
born at Newport, R. I. He was educated for the ministry, was a Congregationalist and preached
many years in this county. Ten years at Wellsville, 5 years at Belmont, and 8 at Scio. Mr.
Hammond married Marilla, daughter of Dr. Pearse. They had two children, Mary, a graduate
of Geneseo Normal School, and Wm. C., who died in 1855, 3 years old. Mr. Hammond died in
1864. Francis Graves was born in Rupert, Vt. He married Lydia, daughter of Dr. Timothy
Pearse. He was a farmer, and for many years (21) resided in Warsaw. He died August 27,
1888. His widow resides in Friendship.
John C. Reed, son of Milton and Hannah (Swartwood) Reed, was born at VanEttenville,
N. Y., April 8, 1827. About 1847 his father, who was a cloth dresser by trade, settled in Boli-
var and engaged in farming. Milton Reed died in May, 1893, aged 95 years, his wife died Dec.
12, 1893, aged 91. Their married life covered a period of 69 years. John C. Reed married in
1867, Parthenia J., daughter of Joseph and Eliza Rolfe. They have 2 daughters : Lelia M.,
and Susie A. Mr. Reed is a broker and a farmer. He was supervisor of Bolivar 2 years, town
clerk 6 or 7 years, 3 terms justice of the peace, 9 years assessor, road commissioner 3 years, and
assessor in Friendship 2 years. Politically he is a Democrat and has taken an active part in
Peter B. Reid, son of James and Lilley (Boyd) Reid, was born Oct. 22, 1831, in TynTwll,
Penbedw Hall, Wales, during a short residence of his Scotch parents at that place. The family
emigrated from Scotland to Quebec in 1834 and finally located in Lockport where Mr. Reid was
educated and a resident for 40 years. Here he married, Feb. 23, 1865, Carrie Hess, who died
Feb. 24, 1880, leaving two children, Carrie A. (Mrs. H. F. Macomber of New London, Conn.)
and Frederic C., now telegraph operator for the Erie Railroad at Salamanca. Mr. Reid mar-
ried, April 23, 1884, Mrs. Elizabeth L. Cole, widow of Stephen W. Cole, and has since been a
resident of Friendship. Mr. and Mrs. Reid dispense a generous hospitality in their pleasant
home, and are quite extensive travelers, making frequent trips to the south, west and the east.
Walter D. Renwick born in Ontario county, April 18, 1825, came with his father, Adam
Renwick, to Cuba in 1826. Educated at Friendship and Alfred Mr. Renwick commenced in
1845 his long career as teacher, teaching 72 terms in Friendship, Belmont, Cuba and Scio, part
of the time in Friendship Academy. He was school commissioner of the Southern District of
the county six years and town superintendent of Amity four years. Oct. 18, 1853, he married
Mrs. Abigail Gorton, daughter of Joseph S. Norton, also a successful teacher. (Her son, Sheri-
dan Gorton, Esq. of Smethport, Pa., has been district attorney of McKean county.) Mr. Ren-
wick has 4 children, Ellena (Mrs. Frank L. Dayton). Lizzie (Mrs. W. H. Flint), Walter Norton
and Edwin McArthur.
Clarence D. Robinson, son of David S., was born in Ceres, Pa., March 23, 1848. His father
was a blacksmith, followed that trade for years in Wirt, settled in Allentown in 1859, where he
died Feb. 3, 1888. Clarence D. married, first, Clarissa Howe, second, Mary Goodell, third,
Nettie Reed. Commencing business life as a merchant in Allentown, Mr. Robinson was later
an oil producer and is both a farmer and a carpenter. He has resided in Friendship since 1883,
and was elected assessor in 1892.
Rufus Scott, a native of New Hampshire, came from near Burlington, Vt., to Friendship in
1807, where ultimately four of his brothers, Chester, Waitzell, Justice and another, settled very
early. Rufus was a pioneer farmer and a merchant in the little country crossroads hamlet
which is now Friendship village. He had a large family, and three sons, Alfred, Rufus and
Hollis. The latter removed to Hinsdale, Cattaraugus county, in 1835, where Scott's Corners
bears his name, and became prominent as a business man and in politics. Rufus was a lum-
berman on the Honeoye. Alfred Scott was about 21 when he came with his father to this
county. He developed a fine farm out of a tract of the primeval forests. In 1840 he became a
hotel keeper at Friendship village, removed to Wirt in 1844 where he was owner of a large
tract of land which he transformcd into broad cultivated acres, temporarily, however, removing
to Bolivar, where for two years he conducted lumbering in California Hollow and was owner of
the Lower California mills. Returning to Wirt he resided on his farm until 1870, when, the
family circle being broken up by the death of his wife, he made his home among his children
until his death, which occurred in Friendship in 1880. He was an Universalist, and a Jefferso-
nian Democrat until 1856 when he became a Republican. He married Anna Harrison, a native
of Massachusetts and a distant relative of the Presidents Harrison. Their children were
Malvina, Warren L., Irene (Mrs. L. C. Newton), Rufus (see Courts and Lawyers), Russell H.,
Henrietta, Walter, William H., Charles and Anna.
Solomon T. Scott, son of John the Scotch emigrant, was born in Pittstown, N. Y., married
Lucy Washburn, daughter of Daniel, in Saratoga county, and moved westward, locating first in
Ontario Co., then in Yates Co., and last, in 1831, in Friendship, where they developed a fine
farm from the forest. Mr. Scott died about 1862, aged 88, and his wife about 1858. Joel W.
Scott, son of Solomon T., was born Sept. 4, 1824, and when 13 was put out to work for Dr.
Dana and for 9 years he labored for him and Levi Pearse, his father receiving his wages. Liv-
ing then with his father until 1852 he purchased the homestead which was his home until 1883,
when he made his residence in Friendship village. He is extensively acquainted throughout
the county as he was a large dealer in stock, and known as one of the county's best farmers.
He has been 3 times married, in 1850 to Mary Phillips who died in 1854; in 1856 to Phebe,
daughter of Rev. Chester Coburn, who died in June, 1892; Jan. 10, 1892, to Mrs. Alice Stout.
Russell H. Scott, son of Alfred and Anna (Harrison) Scott, was born Nov. 8, 1840, in
Friendship, where he attended the common schools, and assisted in the farm labor. At the
age of 20 he enlisted in the 85th Regt. N. Y. V., as a member of the regimental band and was
with it until discharged Aug. 1, 1862. He re-enlisted in 1865 as a member of the brigade band.
November 12, 1864, Mr. Scott married Martha, daughter of David and Susannah McCormick, and
in 1873 he settled on the farm where he now resides. He has 2 sons, Alfred and Ralph.
Don C. Scott, son of Wm. H. and Helen (Purple) Scott, was born in Friendship, Sept. 14,
1869. He descends from the numerous family of Scotts who early settled in Friendship. He
attended Friendship academy, then as a musician accompanied various theatrical troupes
through all the United States and Canada. He finally became a photographer through his
artistic tastes cultivated by his experiences with a kodak. He made his first professional sitting
July 8, 1894, and has now an assured position as an artist and a fine gallery. He married, Dec.
22, 1892, Rowine Wellington of Presque Isle, Maine.
W. L. Smith, D. D. S., son of Simeon B. and Minerva E. (Mix) Smith, was born June 25,
1867. He was a student of Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., and was graduated from
the dental department in 1891. The same year he located in Friendship, where he is now in
practice. In 1892 he married Lizzie Oliver of Wellsville, one child Oliver. Stephen R. Smith,
728 HISTORY OF ALLEGANY COUNTY, N. Y.
grandfather of W. L., born in Berlin, N. Y., married Hannah Baker, and settled in Alfred in
1826 or 7. They had 7 children. Simeon B. was born in 1832, married Minerva E. Mix, and
had 4 children of whom survive Ida A. (Mrs. A. Hood) and Dr. W. L. Smith.
William Stevens, born in Berkshire Co., Mass., July 4, 1808, married Hannah Hosley,
settled in Friendship in 1834 as a shoemaker, had children: Nancy E. (Mrs. Asahel Sprague),
Helen (Mrs. Wesley Lambert), Arthur, Alice (Mrs. George Young), and Frank. Mr. Stevens
died Nov. 24, 1868, his wife April 12, 1881.
Benj. Stickney from Boston, Mass., came here about 1823, located two miles north of the
village. He was a Harvard graduate and son of a wealthy Boston, merchant. He married
Sarah Van Horn and had nine children. The youngest son, Lewis, born Feb. 20, 1841, served
from 1861 to 1863 in Co. B, 23d N. Y. Vols., and in 1866 married Sarah, daughter of David
and Lavinia (Cooper) McGibeny of West Almond. Is a farmer and member of Hatch Post
G. A. R.
William H. Stillman, son of Clark G. and Electa (Howard) Stillman, was born in Norwich,
Ct., July 31, 1828. In 1829 his father moved to Ceres where they lived until 1840, when Mr.
Stillman moved to Wisconsin. In 1849 William H. Stillman came to Genesee and worked at
shoemaking until 1862, when he enlisted in Co. C, 85th N. Y. Vol. April 21, 1864, he was cap-
tured at Plymouth, N. C., taken to Andersonville prison, was kept there until November, then
went to Charleston, S. C.. and after remaining 4 weeks was taken to Florence, S. C., and re-
leased March 1, 1865, and discharged June 6, 1865. From 1885 Mr. Stillman was a citizen of
Friendship. In 1854 he married Susan Tanner of Genesee. They had 5 children. She died July 5,
1887. His second wife was Mrs. E. R. Clark. Mr. Stillman was assessor of Friendship 3 years,
prominent in the G. A. R. circles and adjutant of the post.
Judge Josiah Utter, son of Josiah and Mary (Ketchum) Utter, was born in Delaware Co.
In 1809 his father brought his family to Friendship where he passed his life. Josiah, Jr., received
the educational advantages of the common schools only and engaged in farming. Elected a
justice of the peace he soon attracted attention by his decisions and was kept in this office 25
years and was appointed by the governor judge of the county court, holding that position three
terms. He was an early Freemason, and an active Democrat until 1856, when be became a
Republican. In 1819 he married, and had 11 children. He died in 1877, his wife in 1886.
Lewis Utter, oldest son of Judge Josiah, was born Sept. 27, 1820. He has always been engaged
in farming in this, his native town. Owns a farm of 150 acres, has held offices of highway com-
missioner, assessor and collector. He has always been a Republican. He married in 1851
Sophia, daughter of justice Scott. Three children: Ellen (Mrs. Chas. L. Blossom of Hinsdale),
Elizabeth (Mrs. M. L. Middaugh), Fred L. who resides with his father.
A. Miner Wellman, son of Col. A. J. and Kate (Miner) Wellman, was born in Friendship,
Nov. 13, 1866, was graduated from Yale University in the class of 1888, and the same year
entered the employ of the First National Bank of Friendship. In January, 1890, he became its
cashier and now holds that position. He married June 28, 1893, Hattie Prior Baldwin of
Saxton's River, Vt. They have a daughter, Kathryn Ivel. Mr. Wellman is a Baptist and
William Wightman was born in Herkimer Co.. Oct. 31, 1823. His father, Dyer Wight-
man, was a soldier of the War of 1812, and son of Zerubbabel, a soldier of the Revolution who
attained to 105 years of age. In 1828 Dyer Wightman came to Steuben Co., with wife, Phebe
A. Ormsby, and family. William learned and pursued harness-making until 1864 when he
enlisted in the 85th N. Y., was corporal, and served until the close of the war. With this
exception he has carried on harness-making at Nile since 1849 in the same shop. Is member
of Hatch Post, G. A. R., and has been its chaplain since 1891. He married in 1849 Amelia
Enos, daughter of Harry. Three children. Harry Enos, son of Joseph and Amelia (Holcomb)
Enos, was born April 14, 1805, in Sheffield, Conn. In 1867 he married Sarah, daughter of
Abram Crandall and made his home on the farm he then purchased where he now resides.
His wife died Dec. 9, 1883. Both were Seventh-day Baptists. Children: Sarah A. (Mrs. Henry
Rogers of Genesee), dec., Amelia (Mrs. Wm. Wightman), Antoinette (Mrs. Edward Potter of
Independence) dec., Henriette (Mrs. Samuel T. Burdick).
Alvan Richardson, who passed the last years of his life as a resident of Friendship, was
earlier a prominent citizen of Wirt. His portrait and biographical sketch appears in connection
with the history of that town in this volume.
Continued in [ Friendship Village ][ Biographical ]
Return to [ New York History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]