THIS is the central town on the east border of the county. As originally organized it contained a portion of
the present town of Northampton, which bounds it on the north, and a portion of Perth, which forms its southern
boundary. The town is bounded on the east by Saratoga county and on the west by the town of Mayfield. The surface
of the town is rolling, with scarcely any high hills, and the land is mostly adapted to cultivation. It is not
distinctively a rich farming town, however, the soil partaking largely of the drift formation of sand. In an agricultural
way the farmers have devoted themselves to the raising of oats and hay, while perhaps the greater portion of their
families are engaged to a certain extent in making gloves and mittens. The "Sacandaga vlaie," a marshy
tract of land containing about 12,000 acres of alluvial soil, extends into the northern portion of the town, and
as this territory is overflowed by water every spring, it is of little agricultural value. During extremely dry
seasons, however, farmers are enabled to cut a species of coarse grass that grows there, and which makes an inferior
quality of hay.
The town is intersected by several rapid streams. Kennyetto creek, sometimes called the "Little Sacandaga,"
has its source in Greenfield, Saratoga county, and after flowing in a westerly direction through Broadalbin and
into the town of Mayfield, it turns gradually to the northeast and, forming the Vlaie creek by a confluence with
Mayfield creek, empties into the Sacandaga river at Fish House, scarcely more than three miles from its source.
From this peculiar characteristic the stream received the name "Kennyetto," which is of aboriginal origin,
and in the language of the Mohawks is said to mean "snake trying to swallow its tail." Chuctenunda creek
flows through the southeast corner of the town and Mayfield creek through the northwest corner. Frenchman's creek
flows northwest across the northern portion of the town and empties into Kennyetto creek about a mile south of
the Northampton line. A pioneer Frenchman, named Joseph De Golyer, located on this creek when the country was a
wilderness, and the stream has since been called "Frenchman's Creek." Another stream with a singularly
odd and historic name is Hons' creek, which also flows across the northern portion of the town. The naming of this
creek is ascribed to an incident that happened during a fishing excursion of Sir William Johnson. Simms, in his
"Trappers of New York," gives the following description of the circumstance:
"Sir William Johnson and John Conyne were fishing for trout in the mouth of this stream, when, as Convne was
standing up, an unexpected lurch of the boat sent him floundering in the water. He shipped a sea or two, as the
sailor would say, before he was rescued by his companion from a watery grave. Sir William not only had a hearty
laugh over it then, but often afterwards when telling how Conyne plunged into the water to seek for trout. Hons
being the Dutch for John, and a familiar name by which Sir William called his companion in relating the incident,"
the stream has ever since been called by that name.
Broadalbin was formerly a part of Caughnawaga, and was among the first towns organized in the present county of
Fulton. It was set apart with Johnstown and Mayfield, March 12, 1793. The territory of which it is composed is
embraced in the Kayaderosseras, Sacandaga and Glen patents, "the former of which was among the first grants
by the English colonial government in this part of the state, having been issued to Nanning Hermanse, and others,
November 20, 1708." Later on several thousand acres of the Kayaderosseras and Glen patents came into the posession
of Daniel Campbell, of Schenectady, who subsequently divided it into small tracts, and prior to 1800 granted perpetual
leases to actual settlers for an annual rental according to the size of the farm they occupied.
Early Settlers. - Henry Stoner was the first white man to locate within the present limits of Broadalbin.
He was a German and came to this country about 1760, taking up his residence in New York city. He subsequently
went to Maryland and lived there for a time, coming to this then wilderness with his family about 1770. He settled
on the site of the present village of Broadalbin and built a log cabin, the location of which may yet be identified
on a farm formerly owned by the late Judge Weston. He married Catharine Barnes in Mayfield, and she bore him two
sons, Nicholas and John. The former was known far and near as a sure shot with a rifle, and also a celebrated and
successful hunter and trapper, and with an inborn hatred for Indians. His name has received a local fame from Simms
Frontier Tales of the Early Colonists. Henry Stoner removed to Johnstown in the summer of 1777 and enlisted in
the American army, his two sons accompanying the regiment as drummers. He spent the succeeding three years in active
service, and then, still zealous for the liberty of his adopted land, he reenlisted for three months, at the end
of which time he returned home. It is related that in the summer of 1782 he was living on a farm near Tribes Hill
in Amsterdam, which locality was the scene of his untimely death. While hoeing corn in a field one morning, he
was silently approached by a small band of Indians who attacked him unawares, killed and scalped him, and then
plundered and burned his dwelling. According to Simms his death was avenged later on by his son Nicholas, who killed
the very Indian that committed the outrage while he was in the act of boasting of the deed. Nicholas Stoner and
N. D. Wilson, the latter a prominent man in Gloversville, are descendants of this family.
It was about the year 1773 when the next settler ventured into the town. At that time Philip Helmer came in and
located on land about two miles east of the spot selected by Stoner. A short time prior to the revolution the site
of Broadalbin village became the nucleus of a few settlers. Among them were Andrew Bowman, John Putnam, Herman
Salisbury, Charles Cady, Joseph Scott and Benjamin Deline. The majority of these remained only a few years, as
the settlement was remote from other villages or places of refuge, and was exposed to scalping parties of Indians.
The unsettled state of the country in consequence of the opening of the war for liberty had much to do with the
removal of these pioneers, and in 1777 most of them removed to Johnstown, only one or two families remaining in
the locality. When the independence of the American colonies was firmly established, however, and the danger of
border warfare had passed away, settlers were more venturesome and the pleasant rolling country north of the Mohawk
readily attracted the hardy New Englanders and also the Scotch Highlanders, who subsequently settled the present
towns of Perth and Broadalbin.
About 1783, Samuel Dearest, a native of Holland, after living a few years in Newark, N. J., came up the Hudson
on a sloop and settled in Broadalbin on lot No. 14, of subdivision No. 3, of the 21st allotment of the Kayaderosseras
patent. He was a soldier in the revolutionary war and is believed to have kept the first hotel in the town. He
had three sons, Daniel, Samuel and Nicholas, and several daughters. Shortly after him came Alexander Murray from
Scotland, and located in Broadalbin village. He was the first town clerk of Broadalbin and held the office for
many years. William Chalmers located on what is known as the Dyer Thompson farm in 1789. Ezra Wilson secured a
perpetual lease of 100 acres of land from Daniel Campbell of Schenectady, September 7, 1792, and located on lot
No. 5, in the subdivision of lot No. 4, in the 21st allotment of the Kayaderosseras patent. Abraham Manchester,
from Rhode Island, settled soon after on a farm two miles east of Broadalbin village, now occupied by his son Abraham.
Among others who obtained leases and settled on portions of the Kayaderosseras and Glen patents about the year
1795 were John Blair, Benjamin Earl, Ezekiel Olmstead, Nathaniel and Neil Pearse, Walter C. Rathbone, J. Campbell,
W. Demarest and William Stewart.
In 1796 Nathan Brockway, of Rhode Island, where he was born in 1764, removed with his family from Bridgeport, Conn.,
to Broadalbin. His wife displayed heroic courage in accomplishing the entire journey on horseback carrying an infant
daughter in her arms. Brockway located on "the ridge," about a mile and a half west of Hawley's Corners,
where he remained until his death in 1844. The place is now known as "the old Babcock farm."
Richard Van Vranken was another early settler, coming from Schenectady in 1798 and settling three fourths of a
mile east of Broadalbin village. In 1799 John Roberts came from Connecticut and located in the same neighborhood.
During the closing years of the last century the town had become the centre of quite an active community, its boundaries
had been established, a name chosen, town officers elected and much of the original forest cleared away.
In the fall of 1799 Reuben Burr came to Broadalbin from Litchfield, Conn., performing the journey with an ox and
a cow yoked together, and bringing his family and household effects. The most important of these was a loom and
a chest filled with crockery and bedding. A primitive log cabin without a roof, located between Broadalbin and
Mayfield, first served him as a place of abode, but he was not long in roofing the rude house with poles, covered
with bark and brush. The next year he located on a farm recently known as the Isaac Mariam place, now occupied
by Reuben Phillips, about one mile east of Broadalbin village. Burr died in August, 1859, having remained a resident
of the town until the time of his death. His son, Allen Burr, born in June, 1801, became prominent in the affairs
of the town, and had a wide and enviable acquaintance. He held the office of justice of the peace sixteen years,
and was eight years postmaster during the administration of Andrew Jackson. He died May 3, 1879. His children now
living are James and Samuel Burr, of Broadalbin; C. H. Burr, of Coldwater, Mich., and Emiline, who married Stewart
Lansing, and lives about one mile north of Broadalbin village.
James Sumner, a tanner and currier, came from Vermont prior to 1805 and located on the farm known as the Deacon
Teller place. He built the first tannery in the town about 1805. It stood about two miles northeast of the village
of Broadalbin. He afterwards moved to the western part of the state, where he died. About 1805 a store was kept
by Nicholas Van Vranken one mile east of the village.
Duncan McMartin, a man who achieved great prominence as a surveyor and also lawyer and jurist, and who had the
respect and esteem of the entire community, came to Broadalbin as early as 1810 and located on what has since been
known as the Spencer farm near North Broadalbin. There he built a grist mill and saw mill, and became a man of
wealth and influence. He was a master in chancery; was appointed a judge of the Court of Common Pleas in 1813,
and afterwards was elected State Senator. He was instrumental in forming a stock company in 1813 to erect and conduct
a woolen factory on his place. The directors of the company were Duncan McMartin, Tiffany Brockway, James Sumner,
John Fay, and John E. Hawley. They carried on the manufacture of woolen goods for several years, until at the close
of the war of 1812, the general depression of prices caused an unexpected reduction in the price of their product,
and the enterprise was temporarily abandoned. The directors, on whose hands the responsibility for the debts had
fallen, succeeded after a time in canceling their obligations and renewed the enterprise. Later on the property
came into the hands of John Culbert and Thomas Reddish, who operated the mill with much success for a number of
years. After the death of Thomas Reddish, his two sons, John and Daniel M. conducted the business and since the
death of the former, although the property is still owned by Daniel M. Reddish (a highly respected resident of
North Broadalbin) the mill is leased and operated by outside parties.
Paul Earl came to Broadalbin about 1805. He was a native of Rhode Island and located on a farm near Mill's Corners
in the eastern part of the town. His son, Stephen Earl, was born in 1812 and was one of its respected residents;
his death occurred in September, 1869. Stephen's fourth son, Melvin Earl, is the present proprietor of "Earl's
Hotel" in Broadalbin village, a house wells known to the traveling public.
Notes from Town Records. - The first town meeting was held in 1793, but for some reason not apparent, the
proceedings were deemed illegal and a second meeting was held at the house of Daniel McIntyre, Tuesday, April 1,
1794, at which time a full board of town officers was elected.
Peter V. Veeder, Daniel McIntyre and Alexander Murray, as commissioners of excise for the town of Broadalbin granted
licenses for "keeping inns or taverns" for the year 1794 at the rate of £2 each to the following
named persons: Willett Clark, Jeremiah Olmstead, James Lowry, Calvin Young, Samuel Dearest, Joshua Briggs, Samuel
Sears, James Kennedy, Aaron Olmstead, Alexander Murray, Daniel McIntyre, sr., David Joslin, Thomas Foster, Peter
Hubbell, Daniel McIntyre, jr., and Peter V. Veeder.
John McNeil, Henry Van Dalsem and James Kennedy were chosen, April 7, 1795, to take the census for the town.
The following unique inscription is found in the town records for the year 1797:
"N. B. Peter V. Veeder, Esq., requested it might be Observed and reported by the committee that he had paid
out as overseer of the poor, Forty three pounds Ten shillings, which brings the Town indebted to him three pounds,
fifteen shillings and seven pence. Upon further examination of the books of Peter V. Veeder, Esqr, as poormaster,
we do find the accompts to be regular and that their is due to the said Peter V. Veeder from the Town the sum of
Three pounds, Fifteen shillings as above noted, and do report and submit the same as the committee aforesaid.
" NATHL PERKINS."
" April 26, 1797."
In 1798 Daniel McDonald and Elijah Sheldon, two of the commissioners of highways, made a division of the town into
eighteen road districts, a description of each of which is entered in the town record of that year. In 1799 seven
additional districts were added by Elijah Sheldon, Henry Banta, and Benjamin Shepherd.
At the annual town meeting in 1803 it was voted among other things, that "all persons whatsoever (the inhabitants
of Broadaibin, Northampton and Mayfield excepted) shall be prohibited from driving or turning horses or cattle
on the fly or commons of Broadalbin, under the penalty of two dollars for each head so turned on the said commons.
One half to the person who shall prosecute the same to effect and the other half for the improvement of highways
in said town."
It was voted at the town meeting in 1813 "that no cattle or horses be allowed to run at large around stores,
taverns or mills from the first day of November to the first day of May on the penalty of one dollar a head for
A careful inspection of the record does not disclose the occurrence of any startling or extraordinary events in
the history of the town.
A historic spot within the limits of Broadalbin is Summer House Point. It;s situated on the Sacandaga vlaie
near its western end. It consists of an elevated knoll of solid ground, oblong in shape, with a perfectly level
summit 600 feet long by 150 wide and gently sloping on all sides. A narrow strip of arabie ground connects the
knoll with the main land, and during high water this strip is entirely covered, thus making an island of the point.
The following description of Sir William Johnson's summer house, which occupied the very centre of this knoll,
is given by a recent writer: "As early as 1761 he erected an elegant one story summer villa, conferring upon
it the name of 'Castle Cumberland,' in honor of the vanquisher of the Pretender. To this spot he afterward opened
a carriage road from Johnstown. Here he placed a pair of his slaves, who cultivated a garden, dug a well, set out
fruit trees, and made many other improvements; and here Sir William spent much of his time in summer, until his
death. In the early part of the Revolution Castle Cumberland was fortified, under the impression that the enemy
from the North might possibly attack that point by water. Part of a regiment of troops under Colonel Nicholson,
was stationed here most of the summer of 1776. An intrenchment, six feet wide and several feet deep, was cut across
the eastern end of the point. At the end of the summer it was abandoned as a military post. In 1781 the summer
house was burned, probably by some of the emissaries of Sir John Johnson, who, abandoning all hope of ever repossessing
it, resolved upon its destruction. This spot has ever since been called Summer House Point, but no traces of the
"On the 15th of June, 1876, a grand centennial celebration was held on the point, at which a large multitude
of people participated. An oration was delivered by the late R. H. Rosa, of Broadalbin. Dinner was served; an address
was delivered by Rev. Mr. Moody, of Troy, followed by an allegorical representation of the last council of Sir
William with the chiefs of the Six Nations. A large collection of ancient and revolutionary relics was also displayed."
Indian arrow heads are now frequently found in the neighborhood of the point.
Villages. - Situated on both sides of Kennyetto creek at a point where it enters the town of Mayfield, is
the village of Broadalbin. To a traveler approaching the place from the west, immediately after leaving the village
cemetery on the hill, the town presents a striking appearance, spreading as it does, east and west along an almost
level plain, and the view unobstructed by trees or buildings. It might properly by called a village of the plain,
as almost every house and church spire can be seen at a considerable distance. The site of the village is the earliest
settled locality in the town. It is said that the name "Kennyetto" was given to the little settlement
by the few scattering families who located there prior to the Revolution. Of course when these families abandoned
their primitive homes at the outbreak of the war, the place lost its early title and there was no necessity for
another name until the arrival of the Scotch and New England settlers. Prior to the Revolution Major Jelles Fonda
secured a title to several hundred acres of land upon a section of which the village now stands. This land was
densely wooded at the time and as the word "bush" is a Scotch synonym for "woods," the village
became generally known as "Fonda's Bush," a name which is still used exclusively by some of the older
inhabitants. In deference to the wishes of the Scotch people, who loved the names of their native heath, the post
office established about 1804, was named Broadalbin. This name was originally given to the town by Daniel McIntyre,
a native of Broadalbin, Scotland, who settled near what is now Perth Centre, at an early day. In 1815 the Dutch,
who had settled in this localty to a certain extent, made a successful effort to incorporate the village, and the
place was given the name of Rawsonville, in honor of Dr. E. G. Rawson. The provisions of the charter have never
been acted upon and probably few persons in the village are aware that it was ever incorporated.
Dr. Rawson, above mentioned, was the first physician to locate in the place. He came from Connecticut about 1805
and lived in a house built of slabs, for which he paid Nicholas Van Vranken, a carpenter, the sum of $5. Van Vranken
furnished all material and built the house. It stood on the site of the brick building recently built and now occupied
by Frank Fuller as a furniture store. The doctor raised a family and died about 185o. None of his children is now
living in the community. Dr. William Chambers was another early physician. He died about the same time as Dr. Rawson.
Dr. C. C. Joslin came to Broadalbin from Schenectady in 1841. He is a native of Onondaga county and a graduate
of Union college. He practiced in Broadalbin until fourteen or fifteen years ago and then went to Johnstown. Old
age had now placed him on the retiring list and he is passing the latter years of his life quietly in the village.
Among the living physicians who have an extensive practice in and about the village, and have been prominently
connected with its interests and welfare are Dr. H. C. Finch and Dr. Drury. Prominent among Broadalbin's living
lawyers are Emmet Blair, Fitzhugh Littlejohn and John M. Drury. Joshua Green and Thomas Bicknal were the first
persons to keep stores in the place and Samuel Demarest and Alexander Murray kept taverns as early as 1793. The
first grist mill in the town was built there in 1808 by a man named Herring, who also built and conducted a saw
The village was on the line of the Amsterdam and Fish House plank road, built in 1849, and which was afterwards
extended to Northville. This road was much used and accommodated a great amount of traffic between the Mohawk and
the northern country, but the building of the Gloversville and Northville railroad in 1874 gave a new outlet and
the plank road was soon abandoned.
The Broadalbin Herald, an eight page weekly paper, was started by Rev. R. G. Adams, November 29, 1877. It is now
edited by B. C. Smith and printed at the office of the Weekly Intelligeneer in Gloversville.
The village has a population of about 800, and although its growth has been slow, its people have been mostly persons
of substantial fortunes, with a desire for healthful, quiet homes. It is a favorite location for families of wealth
living in the large cities who spend their summer months in picturesque summer houses located in the village and
do much for its improvement generally.
The place is well supplied with stores and shops. Among these are the drug stores of J. T. Bradford, Finch &
Lee and G. W. Burr; the dry goods, clothing and general stores of Archibald Robertson, who with A. H. Van Arnam
succeeded to the business of J. L. Hagadorn five years ago, but for the past three years Mr. Robertson has been
alone; J. P. Rosa, who began his present business in April, 1891, although he had formerly been engaged in the
hardware business at Vail's Mills; J. E. Lasher & Company; the grocery of Nelson Burr, and the harness store
of W. E. Halladay. W. H. Hallway came from Montgomery county and established a harness shop in Broadalbin in 1844
and carried on the business until the time of his death. During the last thirty years of his life he was associated
with his son, W. E. Halladay. James Burr and Reuben Fox, whom he succeeded in business, are among the prominent
men who have kept store in 13roadalbin. Harry G. Hawley started a hardware store there more than fifty years ago
and the business is now carried on by his son, F. S. Hawley.
The present brick business block on the east side of North street was built upon the site of a number of old wooden
structures that were burned in December, 1828.
The Broadalbin Knitting Company, whose extensive factory is located near Kennyetto creek, has done a great deal
towards furnishing employment to the industrial classes of the village. A line of small pipe has been laid from
the mill to the centre of the village, which furnishes the stores with a supply of water that is greatly appreciated
for street purposes during dry, dusty weather. The village has three hotels, namely: the Osborne House, a large
and handsome building, located at the lower end of Main street, conducted by Wm. Osborne, who caters to summer
visitors; Earl's Hotel, a commodious and well known house, located on Main street in the centre of the village,
conducted by Melvin Earl; and the American House, on the corner of Main and North streets, kept by Thomas Fulton.
Among those who are manufacturing gloves in the village may be mentioned Arthur Smith, who came to Broadalbin from
Perth in 1840 and who has been making gloves on a limited scale for the past thirty years; also the firm of Dye
& Bartlett, on North street, who began business about four years ago.
The post office was established in Broadalbin about 1804, but little is known of the early postmasters. The office
was generally kept by one of the merchants of the village, and was moved from one store to another as might be
required by the changes in the national administration. Allen Burr was postmaster for a number of years prior to
184o. He was succeeded by Alexander Van Ness. Laban S. Capron also had the office at one time. Dr. C. C. Joslin
held it from 1857 until 1861. Arthur Smith was appointed April 17, 1861, and continued as postmaster until September
29, 1866, at which time Daniel O. Cleveland received the appointment and held it until April 2, 1867. Arthur Smith
was then reappointed and held the office two years, resigning in favor of Daniel O. Cleveland, May 14, 1869. Mr.
Cleveland then held the office until October I, 1874, when his son, J. W. Cleveland, took charge of the post office
and retained the position until November 9, 1880. Frank Fuller was then appointed, holding the office until September,
1882, when he was succeeded by Loren Sunderlin, who was postmaster until June 22, 1885. David Blair received the
appointment under the Cleveland administration and held the office four years. Mr. Blair was succeeded by the present
postmaster, Archibald Robertson, who assumed the duties of the office May 22, 1889. Through eastern and western
mails are received twice daily by way of Mayfield.
The project of a railroad from Mayfield to Broadalbin, to connect at the former place with the trains of the F.,
J. & G. railroad, has been more or less agitated during the past few months. A survey was made early in April,
1892, by J. W. Cleveland, who asserts that a practical line can be built, three and one half miles in length, at
a cost of about $40,000. The plans have been submitted to the officials of the F., J. & G. Company at Gloversville,
who have promised to take speedy action in the matter.
The Broadalbin Kennyetto Fire Company was incorporated by special consent of the town board, at a meeting of that
body held at the office of John M. Gardner, October 2, 1886. Its first officers were Leonard S. Northrup, president;
J. P. Rosa, secretary; George O. Dickinson, treasurer, who, together with John E. Lasher, T. Delap Smith, Cornelius
Vanderwerker, W. E. Halladay, James A. Bemis, and Charles H. Butler, form the board of trustees. A hose and engine
house was built in 1887 at a cost of $419.04. The company have a hose cart and hand engine which render good service
in cases of fire. The present officers of the fire company are William H. Dye, foreman; C. P. Vanderwerker, first
assistant foreman; James Drought, second assistant foreman; Elrner Bartlett, treasurer; William O. Cleveland, secretary,
and Charles Van Vranken, assistant secretary. The present officers of the corporation are J. P. Rosa, president;
F. G. Fuller, secretary; J. E. Lasher, treasurer, who, with E. J. Greensleet, Charles Van Vranken, William J. Kennedy,
William Satterlee, Cornelius Vanderwerker, and William H. Dye, form the board of trustees.
[This is where the Church History of Broadalbin was located, now on a seperate
The Broadalbin Free Reading Room. - This creditable institution was established in June, 1891, in a building
on North street, owned by the Keene Post, G. A. R., which occupy its upper floor. The reading room was endowed
and is maintained by the relatives of the late Colonel William H. Husted, who was accidentally shot and killed
during the summer of 1890, near his summer house in Broadalbin village. Among the members of the family who contribute
towards its support are Mrs. Husted (mother of the colonel), Miss M. K. Husted, Charles S., and Seymour Husted,
Mrs. Cromwell and Mrs. Beers. The room is tastefully decorated and furnished with comfortable sittings and tables
and is supplied with all the leading daily, weekly and monthly papers and magazines. It is open on week days from
9 o'clock in the forenoon until 9:30 in the evening and on Sunday from 2 until 5 p. m. Its privileges are free
to all. The Husted family also maintains an Episcopal Chapel on Maple street, which is open during the summer months
and is supplied with a rector at their Individual expense.
Kennyetto Lodge, No. 599, is stationed at Broadalbin. The lodge was organized December 16, 1865, and worked
under dispensation until July 3, 1866, when the charter was granted. There were forty three original members and
the following were the first officers elected under the charter: Isaiah Fuller, W. M.; R. H. Rosa, S. W.; M. S.
Northrup, J. W.; D. O. Cleveland, secretary; Amos Brown, S. D.; Isaiah Betts, J. D.; Leander Hagadorn, tyler; James
M. Hill and Edwin Busby, masters of ceremonies; Rev. A. C. Reynolds, chaplain; J. M. Richards, marshal.
The past masters of this lodge and the dates of their service have been as follows:
Isaac Fuller, 1866-67; R. H. Rosa, 1868-69-70-71; William Marvin, 1872; L. S. Northrup, 1873-74; Edwin Busby, 1875-76;
William H. Halladay, 1877; J. R. Neugen, 1878; L. S. Northrup, 1879-80; J. Neugen, 1881; S. D. Tomlinson, 1882;
James P. McFarlan, 1883; James P. Rosa, 1884-85-86-87; T. Delap Smith, 1888; James P. Rosa, 1889-90. The present
officers are: F. G. Fuller, W. M.; J. W. Briggs, W.; Charles E. Marriam, J. W.; W. E. Halladay, secretary; E. H.
Lengfeld, treasurer; E. J. Greensleet, S. D.; George A. Stever, J. D.; Eugene Smith, tyler.
Among those who were members of this lodge during their lifetime may be mentioned Philo Earl, who died in April,
1881; L. S. Northrup, who died September 28, 1891; W. H. Halladay, who died December 28, 1891; S. D. Demarest,
who died April 9, 1889; Martin J. Wilkins, who died at Kingsboro, October 15, 1889; William Fielding, who died
May 4, 1891; and R. H. Rosa, who took a demit November 25, 1878, and became a member of St. Patrick's lodge at
Johnstown, in which place he died.
Union Mills is a village of between one and two hundred inhabitants, situated on Frenchman's creek, near the east
line of the town. Seymour Carpenter was the first man to locate on or near the site of the village, and he built
a saw mill there in 1827. A paper mill was built about 1828 by John Carpenter, John Schoonmaker, John Clark and
Richard P. Clark. They continued the business until 1840, at which time the mill was destroyed by fire. It was
rebuilt the following year by John Clark, and was again burned in 1867. A third mill was erected immediately by
N. W. Bacon, who conducted it until 1874, when it came into the possession of W. H Whitlock. In December, 1877,
this mill also shared the fate of its predecessors.
The first store in the place was kept by John Schoonmaker about 1828 or 1829. A printing office was established
there by the Christian General Book Association in 1833, a time when there were but very few printing offices in
the county. Rev. Joseph Badger was the manager, and in addition to compiling and publishing several hooks for the
use of the "Christian " denomination, he published The Christian Palladium, a weekly paper devoted to
the interests of that church. The paper was discontinued after a few years, however, and the outfit passed into
the possession of John and William Clark, who commenced the publication of a political paper called The Banner,
which was subsequently altered into a religious paper under the title of The Visitor. The enterprise proved unsuccessful,
and another effort was made by the proprietors in the publication of a family newspaper called The Garland.
The First Christian Church is located in the eastern part of the town. The present society is the outcome of a
religious body, denominated "Christians," which organized themselves into a class on June 5, 1814. Elder
Jonathan S. Thompson administered the ordinance of baptism to a large number of converts on the same day. Meetings
were held at different times in dwellings, and baptisms were performed at irregular intervals by various ministers.
A church was regularly organized May 9, 1818, by Jabez King, who served as pastor, Jacob Capron being deacon. The
original members were James and Joseph Clark, Philip Wait, Isaac G. Fox, James and Joseph Sowle, John Clark, Salathial
Cole and forty one others. On March 19, 1825, the church was incorporated under the title of "The First Christian
Church and Society of Broadalbin." Among the first deacons were Salathial Cole and John Schoonmaker. In 1826
a commodious church building was erected by the society, about one mile east of Union Mills. A complete list of
the pastors who have labored at this church has not been preserved. Among those who have preached for the congregation
at different times may be mentioned Revs. Jabez King, Jacob Capron, John Gardner, Joseph Badger, Joseph Marsh,
G. W. Burnham, Harvey V. Teal, James Andrews, Hiram Pratt, Stephen B. Fanton, John Showers, Maxon Hosher, Charles
I. Butler, and a number of others. The society is at present without a pastor.
North Broadalbin, or Benedict's Corners, is a small village in the northern part of the town, about one mile from
the Northampton line. It was at this place that a woolen factory was erected in 1813 by Duncan McMartin and others,
the property afterwards passing into the possession of the Reddish family, in whose hands it has remained for many
years. The "Hemlock Church" at North Broadalbin is a union house of worship, and the pulpit is occupied
by ministers of different denominations, David Heron, an able and well known clergyman now on the retired list,
being the most frequent supply. The Methodist, Baptist, and Presbyterian pastors of Broadalbin, Mayfield and Northampton
often go there and conduct services and look after the Sunday school, Benedict's Corners has a Disciples church
which has been in existence for many years.
The first town officers of Broadalbin were as follows: Peter V. Veeder, supervisor; Alexander Murray, town clerk;
John McNeil, James Kennedy and Joshua Maxon, assessors; Calvin Young, Allen Whitman and Alexander Murray, commissioners
of highway; Daniel McIntyre and John Blair, overseers of the poor; James Kennedy, Joshua Briggs and Aaron Olmstead,
constables; James Kenny, collector; John McNeil and Nathaniel Perkins, poundmasters; Moses Elwell, hog reeve, and
twenty eight overseers of highways.
The supervisors of the town from its organization to the present time have been as follows: Peter V. Veeder, 1794;
Daniel McIntyre, 1795-1798; Peter V. Veeder, 1799-1800; Archibald McIntyre, 1801; Henry Banta, 1802; James McIntyre,
1803-1805; Richard Betts, 1806; John E Hawley, 1807—11; Duncan McMartin, 1812; John E. Hawley, 1813—22; Thomas
Hill, 1823-24; Lemuel C. Paine, 1825; Samuel Bant, 1826-29; Joseph Blair, 1830-32; Marcellus Weston, 1833; William
Fox, 1834-35; Noah D. Cleveland, 1836-37; Daniel McMartin, 1838; James Robertson, 1839-40; John Culbert, 1841-42;
Henry C. Hawley, 1843; John Culbert, 1844-45; William Logan, 1846; Isaac Benedict, 1847; William Logan, 1848; Philander
H. Sprague, 1849; William Logan, 1850; John Clark, 1851-52; Henry W. Spencer, 1853 William Wheeler, jr., 1854-55;
Peter M. Ostrander, 1856; Henry W. Spencer, 1857-1859; Elisha Alvord, 1860; Laban S. Capron, 1861-1862; Henry W.
Spencer, 1853-35; Richard H. Rosa, 1866-1867; Laban S. Capron, 1868-1874; Henry W. Spencer, 1875-1876; James T.
Bradford, 1877-78; Denton Smith, 1879; George O. Dickinson, 1880; Archibald Robertson, 1881-84; David D. Crouse,
1885-86; Denton Smith, 1887; Myron Darling, 1888; Denton Smith, 1889-90; D. D. Crouse, 1891.
Town Clerks. — Alexander Murray, 1794-1800; Richard Betts, 1801-05-07-1815; Alexander Murray, 1802-1804; John E.
Hawley, 1806; Samuel Bant, 1816-24; Dodridge Smith, 1825; Noah D. Cleveland, 1826-27; Joseph Blair, 1828-29; Henry
G. Hawley, 1830-35, 1838-41; Sands Cole, 1836-1837; William C. Barrett, 1842-43; John E. Hawley, 1844-45; Samuel
E. Curtiss, 1846; William Kennedy, 1847; G. W. Cleveland, 1848; Cornelius J. Rowley, 1849; John McFarlan, 1850-52;
Samuel D. Demarest, 1853-54; Rufus Cole, 1855; Asa Capron, 1856-57; John R. Neugen, 1858-59; George M. Briggs,
1860; Charles F. Allen, 1861-62; Lucius F. Burr, 1863; James Newton, 1864-67; Theodore Bradford, 1868; Franklin
S. Hawley, 1869-71; Peter McDermid, 1872; James E. Kelly, 1873; Seymour D. Tomlinson, 1874; James T. Bradford,
1875-76; Frank S. Hawley, 1877-78; William W. Finch, 1879-1880; Loren G. Sunderlin, 1881-82; George F. Smith, 1883-86;
Frank S. Hawley, 1887-88; George F. Smith, 1889-1890; Frank G. Fuller, 1891.
The present town officers of Broadalbin are: Supervisor, D. D. Crouse; town clerk, Frank G. Fuller; justices, J.
R. Neugen, A. A. Gardner, D. M. Reddish, Charles E. Deuel; assessors, Eli Newman, Matthew Leversee, Thomas Gorthy;
collector, C. P. Vanderwerker; commissioner of highways, Levi W. Sawyer.
[Also see the Church History of Broadalbin]