The Presbyterian Church of Kingsboro. - The society from which this church originated was organized December
23, 1793. The chairman of the meeting held for that purpose Was Josiah Throop, sen., Enos Seymour being clerk.
At a meeting held one week later a covenant drawn by Rev. Mr. Conduit, was accepted, pledging the members to join
together as a " congregational society of Christians," and embodying simple regulations for its government.
This covenant is dated December 30, 1793, and bears the following signatures: Josiah Throop, Matthew Clark, John
Wells, Benjamin Hall, Stephen Gillett, Enos Seymour, Elihu Case, John Ayres, Josiah Leonard, Horace Kellogg, Frederick
Steele, James Parsons, Darius Case, Horace Burr, Reuben Case, Lijah Burr, Bissell Burr, Charles Belden, Timothy
A church site was selected a little south of the burying ground at the head of the present park, on land bought
of Frederick Steele and Darius Case. In 1796 the society purchased of Mr. Steele an additional plot of three and
three tenths acres. The dimensions of the proposed building were fixed at 45x55 feet. A subscription paper was
circulated by John Ayres and Asa Jones, and in May, 1794, a contract for erecting the building was let to Asa Newton,
at thirty eight pounds, one shilling. The work was begun April 15, 1795.
On the 6th of June, 1794, the society was designated " The Congregational Society of Kingsboro, in Montgomery
county, state of New York." The first board of trustees, elected June 23, 1794, were Col. Josiah Throop and
James Parsons, three years; Josiah Wells and John Ayres, two years; Elihu Case and Daniel Bedford, one year.
On the 19th of June, 1796 (the building being then merely enclosed), an assessment was imposed to raise funds for
its completion. The first annual meeting in the new church was held June 30, 1796; Daniel Judson and Daniel Case
presided, and two trustees were elected.
On the 17th of June, 1796, the society extended a call to Rev. John Linsley, and voted to give him a year for two
years, with house and firewood; and after two years, £140 with house and firewood It is apparent that the
house thus promised was not a commodious mansion, for it is recorded that the minister went to Samuel Giles' to
study, where there were two rooms in the house. There is no record of the dates when Mr. Linsley arrived and departed,
but it is believed that he came about the middle of 1797 and remained between two and three years. A partially
distracted condition of the society concerning its name and church connection led to his retirement. It is recorded
that " the society do not consider themselves under the Northern Associated Presbytery, but according to the
Connecticut Association as practiced in Hartford, Connecticut, which are Congregational." There seems to have
been two partially organized societies in the place, Presbyterian and Congregational; for in November, 1798, there
was a meeting of the Congregational trustees with the Presbyterians to settle disputed points in the temporalities
of the church. A union between these two elements was not effected until February 3, 1804.
From the year 1799 until the coming of Rev. Elisha Yale in March, 1803, there was only occasional preaching by
supplies. In January, 1802, the seats were sold at an appraisal of $350 as a yearly rent for the support of the
gospel. Jonathan Hosmer and Rufus Mason, who were elected June 22, 1803, were the first choristers, and at the
same meeting steps were taken to secure a Congregational library.
As evidence of the low ebb of religious sentiment at that period we have only to quote the following from Pastor
Yale's papers: "There was but little union between the broken parts of the church. Their condition was sorrowful.
Contention soured the minds of the parents, and folly occupied the minds of the children. In 1802, under the preaching
of Pitkin Cowles, some were excited to pray and hope that God had neither forsaken or forgotten them. But in the
winter of 1803, vanity and folly seemed so prevalent, especially among the young, that saints hoped almost against
hope." From the day, however, when Pastor Yale preached his first sermon, April 3, 1803, religious sentiment
and morality began to improve. He evidently came at an opportune time, and many believed his advent was in answer
to prayer. A revival began with his first sermon and continued during his month of absence in June, which he spent
in Oneida county. In October he returned to his former home in Massachusetts, and then again returned to Kingsboro.
In the early part of 1804 he again visited Massachusetts, and received a call to settle in Becket, where he had
before preached, but duty pointed to Kingsboro as offering a wider field of usefulness, and hither he returned.
He saw from the first the great necessity of a union between the discordant elements in Kingsboro, and on the 26th
of January, 1804, ten months after his first arrival, he was gratified with a meeting of the male members of the
two partially organized societies to devise measures for union. This meeting was held at the house of Frederick
Steele, and Daniel Judson presided. Mr Yale was present and was invited to lay before the meeting a plan of union.
The meeting adjourned to February 3, when Rev. Conrad Ten Eyck, of the Reformed Church of Mayfield, was invited
to meet with them, at which time a union was effected in "a most remarkable and fraternal manner." The
united organization was called the Congregational Church of Kingsboro, and the deacons of the two societies were
retained in the new organization. On the 28th of March Mr. Yale propounded and the church adopted twenty nine articles
of doctrine as a confession of faith, a church covenant, and rules for the administration of church government.
The united church consisted of thirty nine members. On the 5th of April the society gave Mr. Yale a unanimous call
with a salary of $300 a year, thirty cords of wood, a house and the use of twenty two acres of land. He was installed
on the 23d of May following.
In 1805 the church took into consideration its disconnected situation, and at the pastor's suggestion was placed
under care of the Northern Associated Presbytery of New York on the 7th of October, 1806. In February, 1807, Pastor
Yale and a number of other ministers met at Milton, and formed themselves into "a Saratoga Associated Presbytery,"
under which the church remained until July, 1821. This Presbytery was then dissolved and on the 21st of August
following the church was placed under care of the Presbytery of Albany, where it remained until 1837. At that time,
through the dispute between the old school and the new school, the church withdrew from the Presbytery and was
without ecclesiastical connection until June, 1853, when it changed its organization from Congregational to Presbyterian,
and was again received under the care of the same Presbytery, where it still remains.
A brief reference to the various revivals in the society will indicate its growth. The first, as has already been
noted, followed immediately upon the arrival of Mr. Yale, and as a result forty five converts united with the church
in 1804, including many of the most influential families. This revival wrought a marked change in the leading men
of the congregation, and exercised a potent and highly beneficial influence on the entire community.
The second revival took place in 1813-14, and followed a long period of affliction and church trouble. After 1804
additions to the church gradually declined, and in 1808 there were none; but in 1813 religion attracted renewed
interest and attention. A revival of great power followed, and during the four succeeding years more than seventy
converts united with the church.
In 1819 there was an extensive revival in most of the churches of the Albany Presbytery and the good work reached
this society, resulting in the addition of twenty nine members during 1820 and 1821. In 1822 a fourth revival began
under the ministry of Rev. Calvin Yale, brother of the pastor. Over sixty persons in twenty different families
were converted during the summer, and within the year forty three joined the church.
At the beginning of the year 1829 there were six hundred unconverted persons within the bounds of the congregation.
During the year 1828 special preparations had been made for a revival, which began early in the following year
and continued almost uninterruptedly for five years. One hundred and twenty four were added to the church, three
of whom became ministers. This was the most extensive revival during Pastor Yale's ministry.
From the year 1833 and onward, the pastor and a part of the church made special efforts for another revival, but
a spirit of discord arose, and during 1834-37 much bitterness prevailed, though the majority of the congregation
held with the pastor. At the end of 18J7 the spiritual life of the church was low because of dissension, but in
May, 1838, the present church was dedicated, and from that time an awakening filled the church and increased until
September, especially in that part of the congregation residing in Gloversville, where meetings were held in the
school house. Conviction and conversion followed and multitudes flocked to the meetings. During the years 1839-40
about one hundred persons united with the church, a large number of whom afterwards joined the Methodist and Baptist
churches in Gloversville. The old Kingsboro church is, therefore, the real parent of those later organizations.
After 1839-40 there was no general revival, and yet there were many yearly additions. In 1841, twenty, and in 1851
twenty three were added.
Up to 1832 the church had received as the fruit of revivals 335 persons, and in other ways sixty five, thus showing
that the best growth of the church was due to the revivals with which it had been favored. Under the guidance of
Pastor Yale (to a greater or less degree), twenty seven young men entered the ministry. Up to 1853 the government
of the church was Congregational in name and form, but really Presbyterian in spirit. The pastor was a rigid self
disciplinarian, and had a strong personal influence over his congregation. A committee of vigilance did much to
keep the wayward in the path of duty and also strengthened the weak. In the crusade against liquor selling and
drinking, during a period when intemperance was almost universal, this church exerted a powerful influence, and
the same may be said with reference to Sabbath breaking.
Pastor Yale's salary for fifty years made an aggregate of $25,000 In addition to this, $106,000 were expended for
church building and repairs; $6,000 for congregational expenses; $6,016 were contributed to the American Bible
Society; $616 to the American Tract Society, and $13,000 to the American Board of Foreign Missions. Since t855
the church has sent its funds to the Presbyterian board.
The following pastors have served this church: Rev. John Linsley, installed about 1797, resigned about 1800; Rev.
Elisha Yale, installed May 23, 1804, resigned June 23, 1852; Rev. Edward Wall, installed June 30, 1853, resigned
March 20, 1862; Rev. William Bannard, installed April 8, 1863, resigned February 8, 1869; Rev. George Harkness,
installed July 13, 1869 resigned September 24, 1877; Rev. John C. Boyd, installed February 26, 1878, resigned in
February, 1883; Rev. Isaac O. Rankin, installed in March, 1883, resigned August 11, 1891; Rev. George L. McClelland,
installed January 27, 1892, and is at present pastor of the church. Deacons: Darius Case, elected 1797, died 1797;
Daniel Judson, elected 1804, died 1817; Jedediah Ayres, 1804, died 1811; Benjamin Hall, 1804, died 1830; Samuel
Giles, 1809, died 1841; Duncan Robertson, 1817, died 1867; Jesse Smith, 1830; Abraham Ward, 1830. Elders: Jennison
Giles, 1853; Denton M. Smith, 1856; Horace Sprague, 1853; W. J. Heacock, 1853; J. W. Johnson, 1853; Eli Leavenworth,
1854; G. G. W. Green, 1854; D. B. Judson, 1856; E. G. Warner, 1857; Joseph Steele, 1858; Peter McLaren, 1862; Humphrey
Smith, 1862; Ebenezer Leavenworth, 1867; James H. Foote, 1868; Jonathan Wooster, 1871; James W. Thomas, 1872; Robert
Robertson, 1872; James C. Stewart, 1873.
The present officers of the church are as follows: Elders, Jeremiah Skaine, William Barker, Talmadge Parsons, Charles
Fiske, Eli Lasher and Joseph Steele; trustees, Laban Brown, Aaron Putnam, Marcellus G. Burr, Homer Case, Charles
Fiske and Eugene Heacock; clerk of session, Joseph Steele. The membership of the church is 130 and Matthias Hertz
is the present Sabbath school superintendent.
Sabbath School. - This church took action for the religious education of the young as early as 1806 and
long before Sabbath schools were known, but in 1820 the Sabbath school proper was begun; prior to that date, however,
in addition to the pastor's Bible class, there were held what was called "Bible readings" at the Phelps
street school house and also at Gloversville. At first the Sabbath school was small but it gradually increased
until 1827, when special efforts were made to enlarge it and in that year it numbered 300 scholars. During the
long interval between that time and the present the Sabbath school has been a prominent factor in the growth and
prosperity of the church, and has included among its teachers and superintendents many of the most faithful laborers
in the society.
First Presbyterian Church of Gloversville. - This church was formally organized at a meeting held in
the hall at the rear of the Washburn property, August 6, 1864. The organization took place under the direction
of a committee of the Presbytery of Albany, consisting of Rev. Daniel Stewart, Rev. J. A. Priest, and Elder Jacob
Burton. Upon this occasion introductory services were conducted by Rev. R. A. Avery, of the Presbytery of Onondaga,
and a sermon was preached by Rev. Daniel Stewart. There were thirty four original members, all but one coming from
other existing churches, as follows: From the Presbyterian Church of Kingsboro, Willard J. Heacock, Mrs. Minerva
Heacock, Mrs. Catherine Allen, John C. Allen, Sarah J. Allen, Mrs Maria Gorton, Mrs. Adelia Clark, Virginia V.
H. Fox, Orville S. Harmon, Mrs. Ann O. Harmon, Michael Easterly, Mrs. Cynthia P. Ward, Mrs. Charlotte A. Heacock,
and Ann J. Green; from the Congregational Churches of Gloversville, Mrs. Minerva Avery, Charles D. Beers, Mrs.
Maria J. Beers, George W. Heaton, Mrs. Mary A. Heaton, Evert Wessel, Mrs. Sarah M. Wessel, Mrs Charlotte M. Peacock,
and Nettie C. Smith, from the Central Presbyterian Church of Mayfield, Mrs. Rachel Scrimger, Lydia Fonda, and Aaron
Eikenbrach; from the Presbyterian Church of Johnstown, Mrs. Elizabeth Rose Brownell, Melissa Philer; from the Presbyterian
church of Cooperstown, George Wilson, and Mrs. Martha L. Wilson; from the Methodist Episcopal Church of Poultney,
Vt., Mrs. Agnes Steele; from the Presbyterian Church of Vernon Centre, Mrs. Ann Lawson; from the United Presbyterian
Church of Coila, Alexander Scrimger. In addition to the above, Jesse Heacock was examined and admitted on profession
Willard J. Heacock, who had been an elder of the church at Kingsboro, Charles D. Beers and George W. Heaton were
elected ruling elders, and Alexander Scrimger and Orville S. Harmon were elected deacons.
Rev. J. A. Priest was the first pastor, beginning his labors July r, 1864, and a report made to the Albany Presbytery,
February 13, 1866, shows that the church had at that time seventy communicants while the Sabbath school had a membership
of 183. A similar report made in January, 1867, showed that the communicants had increased to 136, while the teachers
and scholars in the Sunday school had risen to 210.
During the first two years of its existence the church continued to worship in the hall in which it was organized,
but in the mean time its members had been actively engaged in the erection of a house of worship. A lot was secured
at the corner of Bleecker and Fulton streets, and the present handsome church edifice completed at a cost of $36,000,
the dedicatory services taking place on the 22d of May, 1866. The first meeting of the session in the chapel of
the new church was held June 8 of the same year. So bountiful were the contributions towards the payment of church
obligations, that at the time of dedication the society was free from debt. Joel B. Noyes and Denton M. Smith were
elected and installed as ruling elders, August 12, 1866.
The several pastors and the dates of their service are as follows: Rev. J. A. Priest, July 1, 1864-May, 1868; Rev.
M. L. P. Hill, July 22, 1868-November 6, 1870; Rev. Avery S. Walker, July, 1871-October, 1877; Rev. W. W. Belden,
January, 1878-August, 1879; Rev. John H. Crum, November, 1879-August, 1887; Rev. James Gardner came as a supply
July 1, 1884, and was installed October 28, of the same year. He still remains in pastoral charge of the congregation.
The church has been very successful in all its undertakings and its membership has steadily increased, being 607
at the present time. In addition to its home Sunday school, it conducts two mission schools, one located in Berkshire
(a suburb of Gloversville), and another at the foot of South Main street. Willard J. Heacock was the superintendent
of the Sunday school for many years, the position at present being ably filled by Frank Egeiston. As an indication
of the activity of the church it may be said that $2,706 were raised last year for benevolent purposes, which was
an increase of $1,140 over the previous year.
The present elders are: Willard J. Heacock, Edgar A. Spencer, John C. Allen, George C. Potter, Peter R. Purbeck,
E. Barton Whitney, Adam Hunter, James W. Green, and Frank Egelston; the deacons are: Clement S. Hillabrandt, Hiram
A. Belding, Myron C. Treadway, and Lansing T. Loucks; the trustees are: Willard J. Heacock, C. A. Ormiston, John
C. Allen, M. C. Treadway, Z. B. Whitney, and A. W. Locklin; treasurer, J. P. Heacock; clerk, F. P. Simmons.
First Methodist Episcopal Church. - The rapid and continued growth of Methodism in Gloversville has been
phenomenal, and, probably, not another city of corresponding size in the state can claim so large a portion of
its inhabitants as adherents to this system. The pioneer Methodist church of this vicinity, and hence that one
to which all existing Methodist societies in Gloversville owe their ancestry, was organized north of Kingsboro,
in 1790, by the Rev. Mr. Keff. Enrolled on the records of this primitive church were the family names of Easterly,
Clancy, Northrup, Porter, Powell, Phelps, Smith, Sutliff, Edwards, Johnson, Wait, and others. In 1791 Freeborn
Garrettson, then presiding elder of Hudson River district (New York Conference), reported that the society had
secured a lot and also building materials, and that a chapel was in process of erection. For many years succeeding
the above date, services were conducted by the following pastors successively: Rev. Keff, Abner Chase, Samuel Draper,
Samuel Luckey, Daniel Ostrander, Samuel Howe, Samuel Eighmy, Trueman Seymour, H. Stearns, Noah Levings, Jacob Beeman,
Sherman Miner, James Covell, jr., Charles Pomeroy, John D. Moriarty, Jesse Lee, John Dempster, Arnold Scholefield,
Merritt Bates, Salmon Stebbins, Dillon Stevens, John B. Stratton, John Alley, Tobias Spicer, Henry Eames, Seymour
Coleman, Abiathar M. Osbon, Joseph McCreary, J. B. Houghtahing, Ephraim Goss. Among these men, Jesse Lee, Freeborn
Garrettson, and John Dempster, will ever be remembered as early and earnest workers in the cause of Methodism and
Christian intelligence. In the year 1837 there was a small class in Gloversville which included among its members
George W. Clancy, Theodore Welch and wife, Valentine Place and wife, Nathan C. Russell and wife, Father Barrett,
Maria Wait, Phebe A. and Jane M. Smith, Elias and Henry Houghton, Stephen S Sutliff, Isabel Morey (afterward the
wife of Elias G. Ward), Mrs. William Case, Niles Fairbanks, David Clancy and wife, William Easterly and wife, Elijah
Easterly and wife, Purdy Hollett, Eldridge Northrup and wife, George Northrup, sr., and wife, and Goodwin Phelps
and ife. The annual Troy Conference held in the spring of 1838, elected Rev. Charles Sherman to the station of
presiding elder of the Albany district, which at that time embraced a large part of Albany and Schoharie counties,
and the whole of Schenectady, Montgomery, Fulton, Saratoga, and Herkimer counties. Rev. J. H. Taylor was assigned
as preacher in charge of the Johnstown circuit, embracing Johnstown, Kingsboro, and Pleasant Valley, with Revs.
L. L. Radley, and William Barnes as helpers with salaries of about $300 per annum. During the month of August,
1838, Pastor Taylor, while riding into the village from the south one Saturday afternoon, suddenly became impressed
with the conviction that a revival of religion could be successfully conducted in "Stump City," by which
name Gloversville was then known. After passing the old red schoolhouse which stood on what is now the corner of
School and West Ful streets, he turned back and hailed Jennison G. Ward, saying: "Will you give out an appointment
for next Thursday night at the schoolhouse? "Ward replied, "Yes, but I don't believe they will come out."
They did come, however, and at the appointed time the house was crowded with eager listeners. Interest had so increased
by the latter part of September that a series of revival prayer meetings was begun. The first of these meetings,
held during the daytime, was at the residence of Stephen S. Sutliff, on Cayadutta street, and it is stated that
three conversions took place that afternoon. Methodists, Baptists, and Congregationalists united in these gatherings
and many of the early inhabitants then experienced religion. This finally led to the formation of a Methodist Episcopal
society with sixty nine members, among whom were Jennison G. Ward, Elias G. Ward and wife, Benjamin Bailey and
wife, Harry C. Jones and wife, John Shanley, Lucinda Peake, Charles C. Bowen and wife, and many others. On October
22, 1838, a subscription was circulated by Rev. Charges Sherman, presiding elder, and the names of many liberal
donors were obtained, among whom may be noted the name of Charles F. Powell, of Pleasant Square, whose widow is
still living, having been a member of the Methodist church seventy one years. Niles Fairbanks and Henry Houghton
collected about $300 worth of gloves, mittens and moccasins to sell and apply to the church fund, and ground was
broken for the foundation of the church edifice on the 26th day of November, 1838. December 13, of the same year,
a meeting of the male members of the Methodist Episcopal society of Gloversville was held at the residence of Valentine
Place and seven trustees were elected, as follows: Elihu Enos, Valentine C. Place, Harry C. Jones, A. S. Shottenlcirlc,
George W. Clancy, Charles F. Powell, and Henry Houghton. The trustees were constituted a building committee and
were authorized to erect a house of worship. A site was selected on what is now the southwest corner of North Main
and Church streets, and the contract for the carpenter work was let to Samuel S. Mills for $2,725, to which an
additional sum of $240 was afterwards added for building a porch ten feet in width. The structure was completed
during the summer of 1839, and the dedicatory services took place October 9, Rev. Noah Levings officiating in the
morning and Rev. Joseph Castle in the evening. The Sunday school was organized on the first Sunday following the
dedication and met during the first year in the old red school house. It was conducted partly as a Union school
and was continued during the summer and fall of 1839 with uninterrupted harmony and great success. On November
19, 1839, the Female Aid society was organized "for the express purpose of rendering aid to the Methodist
Episcopal church in Gloversville." While the first pulpit was being built, the carpenter having the piece
of work in charge declared to his fellow laborers that he would dedicate that part of the church himself, not willing
to trust it to another. As the man was not a Christian, this was interpreted as a joke, but true to his word, the
carpenter finished the pulpit, and then gathering the other men about it, he denounced them as sinners in such
words of terror that one man "was smitten under deep conviction and soon found peace in believing, afterward
becoming a minister of the gospel."
In 1840 this church belonged to the Johnstown and Gloversville circuit and had Rev. William Griffin, Thomas W.
Pearsons and Richard T. Wade as pastors. The Sunday school war reorganized during the year, and Jennison G. Ward
was elected superintendent. It had 129 scholars, and twenty five officers and teachers. In 1848 an arrangement
was made with the surviving trustees of the old Methodist Episcopal church at Kingsboro, by which the sheds belonging
to that church were removed to Gloversville, and the church building itself was sold for $27, which merely paid
for tearing it down and paying off an old debt of $17. In 1852 an addition of twenty feet was built on the rear
of the church, and the rededicating exercises were held November 1, by Rev. Barnes M. Hall. Further repairs and
inprovements were made from time to time, so that in 1866 the value of the church building was placed at $10,000
and that of the parsonage, $3,500. In 1868 steps were taken toward erecting a new church edifice. The lot on the
corner of Elm, Church and Bleecker streets, on which the present house of worship stands, was purchased of S. S.
Plummer, October 6, 1868, for $6,000. In 1869 the old church was converted into a business block and was entirely
destroyed in the disastrous fire of 1877. The new church building was completed at a cost of $65,000, and dedicated
March 10, 1870, with preaching in the morning by Rev. Jesse T. Peck, and in the evening by Rev. Benoni I. Ives.
The presiding elder at that time was Elisha Watson, and the pastor, George S. Chadbourne. In April, 1875, the Second
Methodist Episcopal church (now the Fremont street M. E. church) was organized, 135 of its members taking letters
from the mother church. In 1885 a lot on the corner of East Fulton and Chestnut streets for a mission chapel was
purchased at a cost of $600. In March of that year Rev. Henry Graham organized a class of twenty seven persons
in Kingsboro and appointed James W. Rice as leader. This class subsequently developed into the present North Main
Street Methodist Episcopal church, noticed at length further on in this work. Of the original membrs of the first
church there are now living Stephen S. Sutliff Silas Shutts, Henry Houghton, Mrs. Maria Houghton (formerly Wait),
Mrs. S. A. Powell and Niles Fairbanks. The pastors who have officiated at the pulpit of this church since its organization
with the dates of their service are as follows: 1838, J. H. Taylor, L. L. Radley and William Barnes; 1839, J. H.
Taylor, with Thomas W. Pearsons and William Griffin as colleagues; 1840, William Griffin, Thomas W. Pearsons and
Richard T. Wade; 1841, Stephens Parks, Albert R. Spear and Myron White; 1842, Stephen Parks and John Seage; 1843,
Thomas Armitage; 1844-45, Dillon Stevens; 1846-47, James Quinlan; 1848-49, Cicero Barber; 1850-51, Richard T. Wade;
1852-53, Merritt Bates; 1854-55, Stephen Parks; 1856-57, Bostwick Hawley; 1858-59, Nathaniel G. Spaulding; 1860-61;
Elisha Watson; 1862-63, Isaac Parks; 1864-65-66, Thomas A. Griffin; 1867-68-69, George S. Chadbourne; 1870-71-72,
Durrell W. Dayton; 1873-74-75, Hiram C. Sexton; 1876-77-78, Oliver A. Brown; 1879-8o-81, Hubbard C. Farrar; 1882-83-84,
Henry Graham; 1885-86-87, John H. Coleman; 1888-89-90, Charles W. Rowley; 1891 to date, John Z. Armstrong. The
present officers of the church are: Stewards, N. W. Welch, F. Pauley, H. W. Smith, Dr. C. M. Lefler, J. A. Van
Auken, E. C. Collins, Wm. McDougall, Henry Shipman, E. M. Bishop, Darius Filmer, J. H. Brownell, Alden Henry, George
H. Hilts; trustees, Daniel Hays, O. C. Collins, Peter V. Hill, L. A. Tate, J. E. Wood, P. R. Smith, George M. Place,
J. S. Zimmer and James A. McDougall. The membership of the church is 1,127; the Sunday school has a membership
of 700 H. W. Smith is superintendent.
Part 1 - Early History.
Part 2 - Early Hisotry Continued.
Part 3 - Incorporation as a City - Schools.
Part 4 - Libraries. - Gloversville Water Works. - Opera House.
Part 5 - Fire Department- Board of Trade - Gas - Electric Lighting
Part 6 - Churches 1
Part 7 - Churches 2
Part 8 - YMCA, Secret Societies, Newspapers