Young Men's Christian Association of Gloversville - On Thursday evening, March 2, 1882, twelve young men representing
the several churches of the village of Gloversville, met in the office of Churchill & Getman on Main street,
to take into consideration the duty of organizing a Young Men's Christian Association. After an opinion expressed
by every one present, on motion of F. W. Stowell, it was resolved unanimously "That it is the sense of this
meeting that a Young Men's Christian Association be organized in this village." On the following Tuesday a
union meeting was held in the lecture room of the First M. E. church. Remarks were made by a number of prominent
citizens favoring the work; after which a committee on organization was appointed by the chair. On Tuesday, March
14, a meeting was held in the lecture room of the First Presbyterian church, at which time a constitution and by
laws were adopted; charter members to the number of thirty six paid their first annual dues, and a committee appointed
for the nomination of officers reported as follows: For president, Judge A. D. L. Baker; vice president, E. A.
Spencer; secretary, Lewis A. Tate; treasurer, W. D. West; directors, Hervey Ross, F. Egelston, L. K. Brown, C.
M. Lefler, P. J. Keck and Earl Karker. Before a vote was taken Judge Baker positively refused to accept the nomination
and the name of John L. Getman was substituted. A ballot was then taken and the above named officers elected.
On Friday evening, March 17, a public meeting was held in the Baptist church with addresses by Rev. George A. Hall,
state secretary; D. H. Van Huesen, of Johnstown, and E. L. Mattice, of Fort Plain.
On Sunday afternoon, March 19, 1882, the first public prayer meeting was held in the lecture room of the Congregational
church, being attended by about 200 persons. The meeting was conducted by Earl Karker and was both profitable and
spiritual. The first regular meeting of the association was held Tuesday evening, March 21, at which time about
150 new members joined. Up to that time the association had been without rooms, having held their meetings in the
several churches from time to time, but at a meeting held April 18, the board of managers were instructed to secure
the rooms on the third floor of F. M. Young's building on Main street, and fit them for use. On Tuesday, June 6,
1882, the first annual meeting was held, at which time the work was thoroughly discussed, and among other points
it was decided that on account of the frequent unavoidable absence of the secretary, an assistant should be provided,
and George M. Stone was unanimously elected to the position. On August 16, 1882, a committee was appointed to consider
the advisability of securing a ticket, as a body, at a reduced rate, in the Levi Parson's library, in order to
give members of the Y. M. C. A., the privileges of the reading room and library. The committee reported favorably
and such a ticket was purchased for the sum of $50.
During the first nine months of the association's existence the work had been done entirely by the members, but
its constant growth and increasing usefulness demanded that a man be secured to give his whole time to the work,
and President Getman was appointed to engage a general secretary as soon as possible. At first it was hoped to
obtain a Mr. Shaw, of Indiana, but as lie was not available the committee made a further effort, finally succeeding
in securing W. I Sweet, who on December 20, 1882, engaged in the work at a salary of $50 a month.
About this time the association made application to become a member of the State Association, and was in due time
admitted. At a meeting held March 15, 1883, it was decided to change the Association's quarters, and hence rooms
on the third floor of the Hanson building were secured for one year at the nominal price of $90. The second annual
meeting of the Association was held June 5, 1883, and the following officers elected: President, John L. Getman;
vice president, Melvin L. Puller; secretary, Charles S. Schermerhorn; treasurer, C. S. Hildebrandt.
On January 28, 1884, General Secretary Sweet tendered his resignation which was accepted, and L. L. Shaffer was
elected to fill the vacancy. During the spring of that year the association found itself in financial trouble,
but by dint of hard effort it was enabled to tide over the difficulty with safety. At the third annual meeting
held June 10, 1884, the following officers were elected: President, Lewis A. Tate; vice president, Frank Burton;
secretary, Frank Egelston, treasurer, W. D. West.
On July 8, 1884, L. L. Shaffer discontinued his services as secretary. In October of the same year the Third District
N. Y. State Y. M. C. A., held their annual convention at Gloversville and was entertained by the local association.
On June 9, 1885, the fourth annual meeting and election of officers was held with the following result: President,
Lewis A. Tate; vice president, Albert P. Slade; secretary, Jay O. Karker; treasurer, Dr. P. R. Furbeck.
On January 28, 1886, a meeting of the association was held, at which it wads thought best to disband and then reorganize
under the direction of Assistant State Secretary Stanley, who was present. The plan was carried into effect, and
after reorganization the following officers were elected: President, Dr. P. R Furbeck, first vice president, George
W. Stone; second vice president, W. F. Burton; recording secretary, W. N. Stewart; treasurer, W. D. West. After
its reorganization the association seemed to grasp more thoroughly the genius of association work, in its peculiar
field, and it became more specific in its efforts for young men. In the summer of 1886 another change of rooms
was made, qaarters being secured in the Littauer block. About the same time it was also decided to again secure
the services of a general secretary, and Charles H. Harrington was employed. The anniversary for 1887 was held
in the Fremont Street Methodist church and was addressed by D. J. De Camp, of Schenectady. Dr. Furbeck remained
president five years and did a very effective work in that capacity. In the spring of 1887 the association changed
quarters again, moving to the Helvig building on North Main street. Mr. Harrington remained as secretary until
May, 1889. when he accepted a call from the association at Batavia and moved to that place. He was succeeded by
H. L. Sellicl, who remained about eight months, his successor being W M. Scott. During the year in which Mr. Scott
acted as secretary the association moved to the building which they now occupy at the corner of Main and Fremont
At the annual meeting held in February, 1891, the following officers were elected, and continue in service: President,
James S. Burr; first vice president, J. M. Thompson; second vice president, Hervey Ross; recording secretary, E.
P. Bellows; treasurer, M. V. B. Stetson; trustees, Daniel B. Judson, Charles Keifer, Aaron Simmons, Dr. P. R. Furbeck,
Daniel Hays, James S. Burr, and William C. Mills; board of directors, James S. Burr, J. M. Thompson, E. C. Collins,
O. L. Everest, E. P. Bellows, M. V. B. Stetson, E. A. Spencer, Hervey Ross, C. W. Schermerhorn, A. Hart, Adam Hunter,
N. D. Wilson, W. N. Stewart, and Dr. W. S. Garnsey.
On May 15, 1891, John F. Moore accepted an invitation to serve as general secretary, a position he has since filled
with much credit. In March, 1892, Elson Sheffield was engaged as assistant secretary.
The association, during the ten years of its existence, has had its full share of difficulties and perplexities,
but it has come out of them all with increased usefulness and extended influence. At present the membership is
about 400; all branches of the work are flourishing, and the future is bright with promise.
Prospect Hill Cemetery of Gloversville. - The history of this beautiful place of mortuary rest dates from the year
1854, prior to which time most of the interments were made in the old burying ground at Kingsboro In order to organize
a cemetery association, a public meeting was held August 12, 1854, with Allen C. Churchill, chairman, and D. M.
Burr, secretary. The deliberations of the occasion resulted in the formation of "The Rural Cemetery Association
of Gloversville," and on the 24th of the same month the following officers and trustees were elected: President,
Jennison G. Ward; vice president, Alanson Judson; secretary, E. L. Burton; treasurer, Charles Sunderlin; trustees,
the foregoing names, with Zina Case, Rufus Washburn, Henry C. Thomas, Timothy W. Miller, and David Spaulding.
A committee, consisting of Charles Sunderhin and Rufus Washburn, was appointed to consider several available localities
for cemetery purposes, and in clue time it decided that a plot containing twenty acres, situated about one quarter
of a mile east of the village, and belonging to Othuiel Gorton, was the most desirable. This ground was purchased
September 4, 1854, the price paid being Si,000. The soil was inferior, being sand and unfit for culture, but it
was admirably adapted to its new use, both in its location and its natural features. The first burial made in the
new cemetery was that of Lewis H. Meade, November 6, 1854.
Subsequently four additional acres of the Gorton estate were purchased, and also eighteen acres adjoining, thus
increasing the cemetery to about forty two acres, which is its present area.
At a meeting of the trustees, held January 19, 1855, it was voted to petition the legislature to change the name
of the incorporators from the Rural Cemetery Association to the Prospect Hill Cemetery Association, a name which
has thus far been permanent. The cemetery contains at the present time some very handsome monuments and much care
is given every year to beautifying the grounds.
Jennison G. Ward remained president of the association until November i6, 1860, when he was succeeded by Rufus
Washburn. Mr. Washburn was recently removed by death, and his successor, James M. Thompson, the present incumbent,
was elected March 5, 1892. Charles Sunderlin, the first treasurer, held that office until the time of his death,
as did also his brother, John Sunderlin, who succeeded him. William A. Kasson, the present treasurer, followed
Mr, Sunderlin in that office. Elisha L. Burton, who first held the office of secretary, continued in service until
removed by death, when, on February 2, 1863, Jennison G. Ward was elected to that office. His successor was Joseph
S. Heacock, who assumed the duties of the office December I I, 1869. W. H. Place, the present secretary, was elected
to that office April 15, 1872. It is a remarbable fact that of the nine original trustees not one is now living,
the last surviving member of that board being Rufus Washburn, who died early in 1892.
A full list of the officers of the Cemetery Association at present is as follows: President, James M. Thompson;
treasurer, William A. Kasson; secretary, W. H. Place; trustees, James M. Thompson, William A. Kasson, W. H. Place,
D. B. Judson, Daniel Potter, D. W. Smith, John C. Allen, and Aaron Simmons. The vacancy in the board caused by
the death of Rufus Washburn was filled by the election of A. W. Rocklin at the annual meeting held on the first
Tuesday in June, 1892.
Masonic and other Secret Societies. - Gloversville Lodge, No. 429, F. and A. M. was organized and instituted April
9. 1857. It was constituted and consecrated July 27, of the same year. Timothy W. Miller took a very active part
in bringing about the establishment of the lodge. He was at that time a member of St. Patrick's Lodge of Johnstown,
being a son of Dr. James W. Miller, of that place. He came to Gloversville as one of the founders of the Fulton
County Bank and held the position of teller in that institution for several years. He was also active in securing
the organization of the first Episcopal society in Gloversville. In later years he returned to Johnstown, where
he remained until his death. The other members who assisted in organizing the Gloversville lodge were Moses S.
Adams, William Ward, John Sunderlin, Daniel Potter, George W. Hogeboom, all of St. Patrick's Lodge; also William
S. Ingraham, and Havel B. Sprague, of Fish House Lodge, which had originally been organized at Northville and subsequently
removed to Fish House; and John Hyman, of Temple Lodge, No. 14, Troy. W. M. John L. Lewis, then grand master of
the state, appointed brothers Miller, Adams, and Ingraham, respectively, worshipful master and also senior and
junior warden. The first initiation took place immediately after organization and while the lodge was working under
dispensation. Nathan J. Burton and Albert W. Gorton were the first persons initiated, and then came Harvey C. Jones,
J. S. Green, John Reddish, Seymour Sexton, and A. C. Kasson. After the warrant had been granted, a full set of
officers were chosen and installed as follows: W. M., Timothy W. Miller; S. W., William S. Ingraham; J. W., Nathan
J. Burton; treasurer, John Sunderlin; secretary, Albert W. Gorton; S. D., William Ward; J. D., John Hyman; masters
of ceremonies, Seymour Sexton and John W. Peek; tyler, John S. Green. The organization took place in Frederick
Young's building on North Main street, where the lodge continued to hold meetings for eighteen years. In 1875 lodge
rooms were leased in the Stewart building, 21 West Fulton street, at which place the regular communications are
Among the interesting relics in the possession of Gloversville Lodge are the records of Constellation Lodge, No.
103, which was organized in Mayfield, March 7, 1804. Ibis old lodge had the power to meet alternately at Mayfield
and Kingsboro, and it held monthly communications at these places until 1835. Its first worshipful master was Oliver
Rice, who, when in his eightieth year, made the Gloversville Lodge a visit shortly after its organization. Its
first senior warden was Benjamin Craft, and its first junior warden, Ripley Merrill. Among the old and well known
Masons of this ancient lodge, who have served as its worshipful masters at different times, and were buried with
Masonic honors by 429, were Oliver Rice, Collins Odell, Charles Hartshorn, Stephen Livingston and Alinos Matthews.
The following list comprises the names of the past masters of Gloversville Lodge, No. 429, with the dates of their
incumbency: Timothy W. Miller, 1857-58; Nathan J. Burton, 1859; George J. Newton, 1860-61; Seymour Sexton, 1862;
George J. Newton, 1863-64-65; Miles Brown, 1866; George J. Newton, 1867; John S. King, 1868; George J. Newton,
1869; Edmund P. Fox, 1870-71-72; James M. Kennedy, 1873-74; Andrew R. Bruce, 1875-76; George K. Hilts, 1877; Alexander
D. Comrie, 1878-79; Eugene Beach, 1880-81-82; Marcus H. Christie, 1883-84; Cyrus Stewart, 1885-86-87; Alvan Quackenbush,
1888; Cyrus Stewart, 1889-90-91; Newton G. Snow, 1892.
The present officers are: W. M., Newton G. Snow; S. W., Arthur E. Tuck; J. W., Nicholas M. Banker; treasurer, Jerry
A. Van Auken; secretary, Charles W. Stewart; assistant secretary, Albert W. Gorton: S D., D. W. S. Kearney; J.
D., Eben Van Evera; organist, E. P. Fox; chaplain, Solomon Jeffers; S. M. C., Frank Tiedeman; J. M. C., John M.
Noonan; marshal, A. II. Lengfield; tyler, Ezra D. Bice; finance committee, A. W. Gorton, William F. Cole, Morris
Klein; trustees, George H. Hilts, A. D. L. Baker, Hiram Darling. The lodge contains 214 master Masons.
Holy Cross Commandery, No. 51, Knights Templar, is stationed at Gloversville, and holds regular convocations in
the Masonic hall, Stewart building, 21 West Fulton street. Dispensation was granted to this commander by the Grand
Commandery of the state of New York, December 20, 1870, and the charter was received October 11,1871. Among those
who joined in the petition for institution were members of Temple Commandery, No. 2, of Albany; Utica Commandery,
No. 3, of Utica, and St. George's Commandery, No. 37, of Schenectady. Sir Knight James M. Dudley, of Utica, No.
3, was appointed eminent commander; Sir Knight William P. Brayton, of Temple, No. 2, generalissimo; and Sir Knight
Nicholas Wemple, of St. George's, No. 37, captain general.
The commandery was instituted by the officers of Apollo Commandery, No. 15, of Troy, at the request of the R. E.
Gr. Com. George Babcock. Twenty six companions received the orders of the Red Cross and of the Temple on the night
of opening. In April following, Sir Knight Brayton sent in his resignation to the grand commander, and Sir Knight
George J. Newton was appointed to fill the vacancy. The late James M. Dudley, whose death occurred recently at
Johnstown, was the first eminent commander. Sir Knight Dudley was a highly honored member of the Masonic fraternity,
and also was a prominent and successful member of the Fulton county bar. He departed this world after a long and
useful life of four score years, and was lamented by all who knew him.
Among the past commanders of this body, who are still connected with the commandery, are Edmund P. Fox, Alexander
D. Commie, Oscar Woodworth, Alvan V. Quackenbush, Daniel F. Cowles, Albert N. Simmons, and Simeon S. Gross. The
commander mourns the death of Cyrus Stewart, one of its past commanders, which occurred April 15, 1892.
The first officers of this body were as follows: E. C., James M. Dudley; generalissimo, Cyrus Stewart; captain
general, William H. Shaw; prelate, Edmund P. Fox; S. W., Charles Smith; J. W., Thomas M. Beach; treasurer, Lewis
I'. Johnson; recorder, George Shurbourne; standard bearer, William H. Munroe; sword bearer, Marcus F. Pierson;
warder, George W. C. Gillette; sentinel, Alexander D. Comrie.
The present officers are: E. C., William H. Browne; generalissimo, James Frank McKee; captain general, Charles
McCarty; prelate, Edmund P. Fox; S. W., Albert N. Simmons; J. W., Alexander D. Comrie; treasurer, Alvan V. Quackenbush;
recorder, Albert W. Gorton; standard bearer, Eugene W. Peck; sword bearer, Howard G. Dewey; warder, Harry A. Phillips;
first guard, William E. Young; second guard, Harrison R. Hall; third guard, Milford F. Button; sentinel, Ezra D.
Odd Fellows. - The first lodge of Odd Fellows in Gloversville was instituted by D. D. G. M. Lindsey, March 13,
1848. It was known as Gloversville Lodge, No. 335, I. O. O. F., and its charter members were Augustus Cheadei,
Augustus Campbell, Richard Dyer, Sherwood Haggart, Henry II. Leonard, William Ward, jr., and Rufus Washburn, jr.
The first officers of this lodge were Augustus Cheadel, N. G.; Augustus Campbell, V. G.; William Ward, recording
secretary; H. H. Leonard, permanent secretary; and Sherwood Haggart, treasurer. In June, 1850, five members withdrew
to form a lodge at Northville. In July of the same year the number of the Gloversville Lodge was changed to 84.
The lodge surrendered its charter and became extinct in May, 1857.
A dispensation was granted by the standing committee of the Right Worthy Grand Lodge of the state of New York,
and presented by D. D. G. M. David De Forest, of Amsterdam, N. Y., bearing date December 23, 1869, to the following
Ancient Odd Fellows: John S. Green, E. N. Spencer, John Drake, William Case, C. R. Bellows, Niles Fairbanks, Moses
Oderkirk, W. H. Demarest, James Berry, M. D., Aaron Simmons, N. D. Phelps, A. J, Kasson and Sherman W. Case, all
of whom were formerly members of Gloversville Lodge No. 84, of Northern New York. This resulted in the institution
of the present lodge, which received its charter January 12, 1870, and is known and hailed as Gloversville Lodge,
No. 228, I. 0. 0. F. The first officers were John Drake, N. G.; John S. Green, V. G.; A. W. Gorton, secretary;
and A J. Masson, treasurer. Much credit is due to A. W. Gorton, who devoted himself zealously to the cause and
was one of the prime movers in bringing about the institution of this prosperous lodge. The present membership
is 117, and the officers are, George H. Cummings, N. G.; Charles H. Bennett, V. G.; J. E. Belden, secretary; J.
N. Face, treasurer. The lodge was recently incorporated under the state laws governing such societies, with the
following trustees: C. S. Cummings, A. L. Carpenter and David Martin.
Gloversville Encampment, No. 49, I. 0. 0. F., a higher branch of the order, was instituted August 17, 1870. It
was formed May 31, 1870, by Patriarchs George Van Kleeck, John W. Peek, Alexander Baker, George W. Marley, Orlando
Cady and John H. Drake. The first officers were installed by D. D. G. P. David De Forest, as follows: Orlando Cady,
C. P.; George W. Marley, H. P.; John H. Drake, S. W.; John W. Peek, J. W.; Alexander Baker, treasurer; A. W. Gorton,
scribe. The present membership is forty five and the officers are J. H. Snell, C. P.; Charles Bennet, S. W.; D
A. Hays, H. P.; Charles Mead, J. W.; J. H. Villsey, scribe; David Martin, treasurer.
The Gloversville Standard was the first newspaper published in this place. It was established in December, 1856,
by William H. Case, who conducted it until March, 1860, when it came under the control of A. Pierson. In January,
1861, George W. Heaton purchased the paper and conducted it until his death, which occurred ten years afterward.
About two years before Mr. Heaton's death he sold a half interest to J. R. Arrowsmith, who afterward became sole
The Standard was established as a Republican paper soon after the birth of that famous party, and continued to
advocate its principles until the liberal Republican movement in 1872, when, under the management of Mr. Arrowsmith
it supported the presidential canvass of Horace Greeley. The transition from liberal republicanism to straight
out democracy was natural, and when in June, 1875, the Standard was purchased by Hervey Ross (an old line Democrat),
it at once held the position as the democratic organ of Fulton county. When Mr. Ross assumed its control it was
a small folio sheet of limited circulation, but it soon grew to a six column quarto, while its readers during the
first year increased threefold. In the spring of 1876 the Standard absorbed The Century, then recently established
in Gloversville by C. G. Johnston, and in January, 1877, added to its circulation the subscription list of the
In August, 1888, the Standaid was changed from a weekly to a semi weekly publication in order to meet popular demand,
and on the 1st of December, 1890, the daily issue began. This effort, though considered a venture, was a pronounced
success from the start. Gloversville had ceased to be a weekly newspaper town, and had not only passed the semi
weekly stage, but demanded daily service. The business increased so rapidly, with the attendant cares and responsibilities,
that Mr. Ross soon found it necessary to secure a partner, and on the 9th day of February, 1891, he sold a half
interest to Charles H Hill, and the establishment is now conducted by the firm of Ross & Hill. The Daily Standard
has been twice enlarged since its first appearance and is now an eight column folio sheet, handsomely printed and
Ross & Hill also publish the Weekly Standard and the Hamilton County Press.
The Gloversville Intelligence, a weekly newspaper, was first issued in January, 1867, when the village contained
scarcely more than 4,000 inhabitants. Charles H. Kelly was the editor and publisher, and its birth place was a
cramped upper story in Park's block on Main street, which was subsequently destroyed by the disastrous fire of
1877. The office possessed but a very limited amount of type, the paper was a small six column sheet, printed on
a hand press, and the circulation hardly exceeded 35o copies. When the paper was but a few months old, Mr. Kelly
died, and was succeeded by George M. Thompson, who altered its political complexion so that from an Independent
it became a Republican journal. He also removed the office to more suitable quarters, and laid the foundation for
an extensive business. In July, 1870, Mr. Thompson began the Fulton county Republican, and under that title opened
a well equipped office in Johnstown, and also introduced a cylinder press, upon which both newspapers were printed,
a method which (with better machinery and largely increased facilities) was continued down to the dissolution of
Blunck & Leaning in 1888.
In February, 1877, E. W. Capron, of Norwich, Chenango county, became associated in the publishing business with
Mr. Thompson, and in August of the same year the latter retired, his interest being transferred to Hiram L. Ward,
also of Norwich. The papers continued to be published by Capron & Ward until January 9, 1879, when impaired
health occasioned the retirement of Mr. Capron, and Mr. Ward remained in sole possession until April, 1881. A new
partnership was then formed under the title of Ward & Blunck, the junior partner being from Cooperstown. This
union, however, was brief, for the senior partner was soon attacked by an incurable malady, hence, in August, t881
(shortly prior to his death), he sold his interest to W. E. Leaning, and the business was conducted until March
1, 1888, under the firm name of Blunck & Leaning. Mr. Leaning then assumed entire control of the Intelligencer,
which he continued to publish in Gloversville, while Mr. Bluncl conducted the Republican at Johnstown. The Intelligencer
remained under the control of Mr. Leaning until his death, May 15, 1890. It was then conducted by his administrators
until February I, 1891, when it was purchased by W. B. Collins and Mrs. F. M. Leaning, who are the present proprietors.
From December 1, 1890, until February 1, 1891, the Intelligencer was published daily. The offices of the Daily
Leader and Intelligence were then consolidated and the two papers have since then been published by the firm of
Collins & Leaning. The weekly edition of the Intelligencer includes an edition of the Broadalbin Herald, edited
by B. C. Smith. The paper is strongly Republican, and always supports the best interests of that party.
The Gloversville Leader made its first appearance in August, 1887, as an independent daily newspaper. Fay Shaul
was both editor and proprietor until March 19, 1888, when W. B. Collins, a young man who came to Gloversville from
Albany, purchased a half interest, and the firm continued the Leader as an independent daily until the next September,
when it was made a Republican paper, and supported Harrison and Morton. Until then it had been a laborious task
for its publishers to make both ends meet. Several attempts had been made during previous years to establish daily
newspapers in Gloversville, all of which had proved failures. Fortunately for the Leader, the change in political
views was the beginning of success. Thenceforward the paper has increased in size and importance and is now welcomed
by many who once thought a daily newspaper could not live in a place so near the large commercial centres. The
partnership of Shaul & Collins continued until September, 1889, when Mr. Collins purchased his partner's interest
and conducted the paper alone until February 1, 1891, when (as has been previously stated) the Leader and the Intelligencer
were consolidated under the firm name of Collins & Leaning.
C. W. Brockway, who has been connected with the Intelligencer twenty years, is city editor. Mr. Collins writes
its editorials, and the gratifying success of the Leader has been due in a great measure to his untiring energy
Extinct Daily Newspapers of Gloversville. - The first daily newspaper in Gloversville was published in 1872 and
was known as the Daily Times, but it only had a sickly life of two months. The Daily Advertiser, published by John
H. Burtch, made its first appearance in March, 1873, and had a still briefer existence, its duration being only
thirty four days. The Evening News was started in April, 1887, by J. W. F. Ruttenbur (from Newburgh), who also
conducted the Fonda Democrat. The publication of the paper was discontinued in the following August. The Dail Times
(under a different management than that of the first paper of that name) was started in connection with the Intelligencer
in November, 1884, but was only published for the short space of one week.
Part 1 - Early History.
Part 2 - Early Hisotry Continued.
Part 3 - Incorporation as a City - Schools.
Part 4 - Libraries. - Gloversville Water Works. - Opera House.
Part 5 - Fire Department- Board of Trade - Gas - Electric Lighting
Part 6 - Churches 1
Part 7 - Churches 2
Part 8 - YMCA, Secret Societies, Newspapers