St. John's Episcopal Church
Presbyterian Church of Johnstown
Schools. - One of Sir William's first steps towards establishing a school in Johnstown was an effort on
his part to secure the removal to the village of the Moor Charity School from Lebanon, Conn., in 1767. Four years
later he inserted an advertisement in the newspapers of New York and Philadelphia for a person "proficient
in reading, writing and arithmetic," to teach a free school about to be opened by him in Johnstown. This resulted
in securing a teacher named Wall, who was an Irishman and a strict disciplinarian. He "spared not the rod
and kept the old rule," with the exception of three of the baronet's children (by Molly Brant) who, on account
of the high position of their distinguished father, were greatly favored and indulged. This school, which was an
oblong wooden building, painted yellow, stood on the southeast corner of Main and William streets. In front of
it were the public stocks and whipping post. Among the scholars were the children of Godfrey Shew, who lived for
some time a mile west of the hall, and afterwards moved to the vicinity of the Fish house.
A "list of the scholars at the free school, Johnstown," is given without date, in the fourth volume of
the documentary history of the state of New York. It consists of the following names:
"Richard Young, Peter Young, Hendrick Young, Richard Cotter, Hendrick Rynnion, James Mordon, Daniel Cammel,
Samuel Davis, Reneir Vansiclan, Jacob Veder, Randal McDonald, John Foilvard, Peter Rynnion, Peter Potman, Jacob
Doran, David Doran, Jeromy Doran, Adam McDonald, Abraham Boice, Caleb McCarty, Hendrick Colinger, Jacob Servos,
John Jervos, John Miller, James McGregar, George Binder, Christian Rider, Bernard Rider, Simeon Scouten, Francis
Bradthau, John Everot, Sarah Connor, Leny Rynnion, Betsey Garlick, Baby Garlick, Rebecca Vansiclan, Caty Cammel,
Caty Garlick, Mary McIntyre, Peggy Potman, Eve Waldroff, Leny Waldorff, Margaret Servos, Catherine Servos."-45.
The baronet's school soon became inadequate and an academy was required, a project which took definite form in
January, 1794, when the regents of the university gave it full consideration in compliance with an application
signed by the following trustees: Amaziah Rust, Simon Hosack, Dederick C. R. Peck, ____ Cruts, Frederick Fisher,
Silas Talbot, Thomas Read, Richard Dodge, Daniel Miles, Daniel McIntyre, George Metcalfe, Lewis Dubois, David Cady,
H. Beach, John C. Van. Epps, John McCarthy and Matthew Fairchilds.
In 1795 the legislature granted the land on which the building stands, and in the following year it was completed
by William Johnson Van Voast, builder. Within a short time there was placed in the belfry the bell of Queen Anne's
chapel, at Fort Hunter, which had been presented by that sovereign to call the Mohawks to worship. The academy
attracted large numbers of students from various parts of the state, and its records, indeed, include many names
which afterward attained distinction. It held a high position until 1869, when the trustees declared their office
vacant and the institution was adopted as the academic department of the union school. William H. Bannister, now
the president of Rockland Lake Institute, was one of the principals of this old school.
Under the district school system the village was first divided into two districts, one on each side of Market street,
that on the west side being No. 4, and that on the east, No. 23. The schools were organized under the general act
of 1869. The school on West Main street was built in 1856 at a cost of $2,500. Among the early teachers there were
J. Ripley and William S. Snyder, the latter of whom came to Johnstown in 1860, and is still connected with the
schools, having become superintendent in 1870, at which time the village schools were graded and put under one
head. The Montgomery Street school, which stands directly west of the new Union school, was built in 1860, at a
cost of $3,000. It was succeeded in use by a beautiful structure which occupied the site of the present Montgomery
Street school, and together with a valuable library, containing several thousand volumes, was totally destroyed
by fire, February 1, 1889. It has since been replaced by a handsome three story brick school, and a large brick
school house has also been erected on North Perry street.
Mr. Snyder has ably conducted the different departments of the village schools for many years, and his long connection
with educational matters in Johnstown makes his services almost indispensable.
St. John's Episcopal Church. - It is generally believed that Episcopal services have been held in Johnstown
since Sir William Johnson founded the settlement in the spring of 1760. No definite statement in any record now
in existence can be cited to prove this fact, however, and the exact date of the holding of the first Episcopal
service must therefore remain unknown. It is probable that the first church edifice was built during the summer
or fall of 1760. It is learned from a record taken from the archives of Trinity Church, New York, that Queen Anne's
chapel, at Fort Hunter, was built in 1711 on land given by the queen, and that the first St. John's church of Johnstown
was erected in 1768, but other records lead to the supposition that it was at an earlier date.
There was certainly a house of worship built prior to 1771, for in 1769 George Crogan recommended to Sir William,
that William Andrews be appointed for the mission at Johnstown and also for the church at Schenectady. In 1770
Sir William Johnston offered a large tract of land to the church at Johnstown, providing they could obtain the
king's grant, and the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts granted to St. John's church the
sum of £25 for the support of a clergyman. Referring to the first church building, which stood on the lot
occupied by the old cemetery, near the spot now occupied by Messrs. Drumm's glove shop, Sir William writes to Rev.
Mr. Barton, of New York, on the 28th of February, 1771, as follows: "The church being small and very ill built,"
he was "preparing stone and materials for erecting one much stronger and larger, that would accommodate near
1,000 souls." The old church was built of stone, so as to be used as a fort in case of danger, and, no doubt,
the cellar was intended to render it still more available for this purpose. Later on when it was demolished, the
stone was used in building the wall which protected the burying ground. The second church, which was constructed
with the baronet's "stone and materials," in 1771, stood on the site of the present St. John's, but instead
of having its entrance at the east, as does the present church, it stood with its side to the street and fronted
northward. It is very evident that Sir William intended St. John's church yard should extend to Green street, and
for this purpose the porch fronted north and thus became conspicuous from a great distance.
Rev. John Taylor, in the journal of his missionary tour refers to this house of worship as "an elegant stone
church with organ." The organ in question must have been the very earliest in the state west of Albany. It
has been said of this instrument: "It was imposing in size; the case of handsome mahogany had by time become
beautifully dark and rich in color, and its clusters of finely gilt front pipes added the beauty of contrast, and
the harmony of color. It had but one manuale, with perhaps ten registers, but its full sweet, solemn tones, its
mellow waves of harmony, its jubilant swell of flute like notes, made all the air tremulous and vocal with solemn
praise." It is known that the organ had a reputation extending far beyond its location.
To the extensive plat of ground in front of the church, Sir William added a glebe of forty acres in the southeastern
part of the village, but as no conveyance was made, the whole property became liable to confiscation, and St. John's
church yard was cut off by what is now Church street.
In a letter dated May 18, 1772, John Collgrave wrote to Sir William, suggesting that several improvements should
be made in the affairs of the village, as became its importance as a county seat, from which we extract as follows:
"The first of which is for the immediate finishing of the church; for as the church now remains, your Honour
and family can not have the satisfaction which you otherwise would have, if the church was finished, the children,
for instance, mix with the aged, for the want of a Gallary;- and for the want of seats, many of the Grown people
are very troublesome, The next thing I consider of the utmost importance to the General welfare of this Patent,
is the Clothing of the Poor Children, with someunifolmow priced for a suitable uniform, to be worn at no other
Time but on the Sabbath - This would encourage and Command the Childrens attendance, and engage their parents:
and when Care is taken of the Childrens Cloathes, the expense of Clothing them will be inconsiderable, what a pity
is it therefore, to see so great, and so good a thing as this is not to take place; when a Boy, to ride post from
the Hall (who perhaps like too many others live in idleness) would more than pay the sum which the before recommended
Charity will require." The writer closes his letter with an offer of £10 for clothes.
During the latter part of 1771, and twice afterwards, Rev. William Andrews, who had served as rector of the church
at Schenectady, either because the parish because more to his liking, or because things were not progressing very
smoothly among the Dutch people of Schenectady, made earnest appeals to Sir William to be allowed to settle in
Johnstown as rector. It is evident, however, that Sir William was at that time expecting a missionary and therefore
refused his proposal. In 1772 Rev. Richard Mosely, having had a hard time with the Puritans of New England, was
called to the new church at Johnstown as rector.
He came from Litchfield, Conn, where he had been fined £20 for marrying a couple, when he had no other license
to act as a clergyman "than what he had received from the Bishop of London, whose authority the court determined
did not extend to Connecticut, which was a chartered government." Thirty families of dissenters emigrated
at the same time with Mr. Mosely and settled within fifteen miles of him. Upon the arrival of Mosely, Sir William
wrote a letter in which he says: "Upon this occasion I ought to observe that the missions established at 40
pounds Ster. p Ann., are found by Experience inadequate to the present age, Some of these in the old Settlements,
near the Sea, where the Circumstances and Inclinations of the People are more favorable, may enable a Missionary
to live tolerably well, but here where the People who are not of the Low Dutch Communion are New Settlers, &
poor, the contributions are as trifling as they are uncertain; This has occasioned the Revd. Mr. Andrews at Schenectady,
to have recourse to keeping a school, with which addition to his5income, as he writes me he is not able to take
care of his Family. . . . It is an Extensive and most valuable Tract in which the majority of the Settlements and
the Church of England are in their Infancy, but such an Infancy as affords the most flattering hopes If properly
nourished and improved for a little time." Mr. Mosey was not a strong man physically, and our northern climate
was too severe for him. In the early part of 1774 he resigned the parish, on account of his failing health, and
went to England the following spring. Writing from New York, April 11, 1774, he expressed the warmest gratitude
to Sir William, for his "unbounded goodness to him" while at Johnstown, and "particularly at his
departure." He was undoubtedly the first clergyman regularly settled at Johnstown as rector of St. John's
church. The parish at this time owned a rectory, in which Mr. Mosely lived. It was built by Sir William on the
glebe which he had given to the church and was situated just west of the site where now stands St. Patrick's church
on Clinton street. Rev. John Stuart, of Fort Hunter, succeeded Mr. Mosey. He was a great friend of Sir William
and took charge of the services of the church until the war of the revolution. He was quite a remarkable man. Born
of Presbyterian parentage in Pennsylvania, he was educated in Philadelphia and afterward ordained in the church
and appointed missionary at Fort Hunter. He prepared, with the assistance of Brant, a prayer book in the language
of the Mohawks. At the breaking out of the revolution he was unjustly accused of disloyalty to the American cause,
and held a prisoner for two years at Schenectady.
As soon as he could be exchanged he made his way to Canada, and there spent the rest of his days. It is probable
that the services held in St. John's church by Mr. Stuart in 1776, were the last held in the village for many years.
It is proper here to observe the great interest taken in all things of a religious or educational nature by Sir
William. He seems to have given special attention to the missionary work of the church in the valley of the Mohawk.
After he became a baronet, it is believed that no work was undertaken by the society for the propagation of the
gospel, without first consulting and relying upon his judgment and liberal assistance. "Busy as his life was
in public affairs of greatest moment, his correspondence with the society for the propagation of the gospel in
England and with the clergy here, shows him to have been almost equally busy and interested in the concerns of
The glebe of forty acres southeast of the village was surveyed and set apart by Sir William some years previous
to his death for the support of a rector. The church, of course, was a private establishment and not a corporation
to hold property, and as has been stated, never received a title to this land. Upon the sudden death of Sir William
in 1774 it reverted to his son, Sir John. In the confusion of the revolutionary period, after the confiscation
of the Johnson estate, including this property, the Presbyterians occupied both the church and the glebe. With
the exodus of Sir John Johnson to Canada in 1777, it is evident that nearly all the prominent church people went
also, and it was not until some time after the war that the abandoned church was reopened and used by the Presbyterians
and Lutherans. In 1793 the legislature of the state passed an act which granted the stone church and glebe, during
the pleasure of the legislature, to the trustees of the Presbyterian congregation, reserving, however, the use
of the church for eight Sundays in the year to the Episcopalians and Lutherans, if required by any number of them
not less than ten. In 1796 there was a sufficient number of church people to form an incorporated body, and in
that year the parish of St. John's was duly incorporated according to the laws of 1784.
Finally, on March 28, 1797, the vexed matter of the property was settled by a compromise act of the legislature,
which granted the glebe of forty acres to the Presbyterians, and the church with the acre of ground upon which
it stood to the rector, wardens and vestry of St. John's church, giving, however, to the Lutherans of the village
the use of the church edifice four Sundays in each year, and also reserving to the Presbyterian congregation the
alternate use of the church, together with the congregation of the Episcopal society, for and during the term of
three years. The people of St. John's were never satisfied, however, with this adjustment, as it seemed to them
unfair to take from them the glebe of forty acres, giving no equivalent for it. In 1818 an earnest petition was
drawn and sent to the legislature, a committee consisting of Daniel Paris, Aaron Flaring and Abraham Morrell being
appointed to wait upon the legislature pending its action. April 10, 1818, the hearts of the petitioners were made
glad by the passage of an act which granted them $2,400, with interest, for the glebe, which sum was paid by the
treasurer of the state to Daniel Paris in 1821. Although it was intended that this money should be funded so as
never to be impaired or diminished, yet in 1863 it had dwindled down to $1,200 and in 1871 the remainder was used
in making repairs upon the church. The society had an interest in a tract of land at Fort Hunter, which was conveyed
by the Mohawks to Dr. Barclay; but, like the real estate at Johnstown, it seems to have been captured by other
parties for a time, and was only recovered in 1797 and 1799 by the aid of Trinity Church, which ten years later
advanced $400 for repairs to St. John's. The business transactions of the church related chiefly to this Fort Hunter
land for many years, and in 1819 they asked permission of Trinity to petition the legislature to grant them power
to sell the farms. The petition was granted March 24, 1820, and the farms sold during 1823 and 1824 for $4,357.50.
Later on the sum was divided between St. Anne's Church at Amsterdam and St. John's at Johnstown.
The church was burned in 1836, the flames catching from an adjacent building. Among the relics lost in this fire
was the lid of Sir William's coffin, which was of dark red cherry and bore the letters 'narked by brass tacks,
W. J., and also the date of the death. The question has arisen, how could the coffin have been despoiled of its
lid? And it has been suggested in reply that perhaps when the interment took place at the church the lid was kept
as a memorial and another substituted, This seems plausible, since the original lid did not leave the church and
still reminded all who saw it that Sir William rested within the sacred enclosure. St. John's was rebuilt with
the insurance funds together with money collected in the parish and in New York, and the porch was erected facing
the east. This left the Johnson vault outside the church walls. St. John's was built of stone, and for this reason
the same material was used in its reconstruction, thus retaining its original distinction as "The Stone church."
The new edifice was consecrated by Bishop Onderdonk, October 15, 1837, and remains an endeared landmark to every
old resident of Johnstown.
There is a doubt as to what clergyman served as rector of St. John's during the closing years of the last century,
or indeed if any one held that position. Even in 1802 when John Urquahart was rector of the parish the congregation
was very small. The following list contains the names of the different rectors with the dates of their service:
1772-1891, Richard Moseley; 1774-1776, John Stuart; 1798-1806, John Urquahart 1806-1815, Jonathan Judd; 1815-1819,
Eli Wheeler; 1819-1821, Alexander Proal; 1821-1829, Parker Adams; 1829-1832, A. C. Treadway; 1832-1835, U. K. Wheeler;
1836-1839, Joseph Ransom; 1839-1844, Salmon Wheaton; 1844-1850, Charles Jones; 1851-1853, George Sleight; 1853-1857,
Lewis P. Clover; 1858-1861, W. H. Williams; 1861-1864. Charles H. Kellogg; 1866-1870, James B. Murray; 1872-1875,
James W. Stewart; 875-1884, Charles C. Edmunds; 18841890, J. Brewster Hubbs; 1891 to date, John N. Marvin.
The officers of the church for 1891 are: Rector, John N. Marvin; vestrymen, Jonathan Ricketts, James M. Dudley
(deceased), Charles Prindle, Isaiah Yauney, John W. Uhlinger, John M. Carroll, James I. Younglove, and R. J. Evans;
wardens, A. S. Van Voast, Thomas E. Ricketts; clerk, James I. Younglove; organist, Mrs. Joseph Thyne; sexton, M.
Presbyterian Church of Johnstown. - There is sufficient fragmentary evidence existing to show that there
were some persons of the Presbyterian faith living in Johnstown within a short time after its first settlement.
There is no definite means of knowing whether these were adherents of the Church of Scotland or the Presbyterian
church of the colonies, as the organization of a society, which probably took place several years subsequent to
1762, was brought about principally by missionaries sent out by the synod of New York. The first notice of this
church in any ecclesiastical record dates from a period subsequent to its incorporation.
As an additional motive to induce settlers to take up land in the vicinity, Sir William Johnson gave the Lutherans
and Calvinists fifty acres of land on which to erect a parsonage if they so desired. As the Presbyterians have
always been known as the "Calvinists," it is reasonable that this was the denomination designated by
the baronet. His persistent endeavors to Christianize the Indians was a marked characteristic of his life, and
his interest in establishing churches throughout the valley of the Mohawk was unceasing. From correspondence between
Rev. Mr. Chamberlain, a Presbyterian clergyman sent out by the Scots society, Rev. Mr. Brown, an Episcopalian,
and Sir William Johnson, dated 1766, we learn that other clergymen, besides those episcopally ordained, had preached
the gospel and administered the sacrament at Johnstown. The population at that time was of a very mixed character
and the Episcopal element is spoken of as being small, but Sir William is said to have entertained a hope that
the whole community would eventually become attached to the service of the Episcopal church. From 1775 to 1784
this region was constantly exposed to the incursions of the British loyalists and their allies, and little is known
of the progress (if any) made in religious affairs. The cessation of hostilities, however, and the prospect of
peace brought a favorable change, and church matters, which had been in a state of disorganization during the war,
began to assume signs of activity.
The Presbyterian church of Johnstown was formally organized in 1785, under an act of incorporation passed by the
state legislature the previous year. The instrument reads as follows:
"We, John McArthur, deacon of the Presbyterian congregation of Johnstown, in the county of Montgomery, and
Nathan Brewster, elected by virtue of the latter part of the 2nd section concerning officers and judges of the
qualification of the electors, at a meeting of a number of male persons who have statedly worshiped with the same
Presbyterian congregation, holden in the meeting house in said Johnstown, on the 21st day of November, 1785, for
the purpose of choosing trustees to take care of the temporalities of said congregation, do hereby certify, that
at the meeting aforesaid, the following persons were elected to serve as trustees for the said congregation by
a plurality of voices: Zephaniah Bachelor, Robert Adams, Thomas Reed, James McKill, Daniel McGregor, Nathan Brewster,
Benjamin Grosset, William Grant, and John Vechtie; and that the style or name by which the said trustees and their
successors in office are hereafter to be called and known is, ' The Presbyterian congregation of Johnstown.'
"In witness whereof, the returning officers have hereunto set their hands and seals at Johnstown, the 21st
day of November, 1785.
" PATRICK FORBES.
"Acknowledged before Zephaniah Bachelor, one of the Judges of the Inferior Court of Common Pleas, Nov.
The church has in its possession a baptismal register bearing the title, "Church Record belonging to the
Presbyterian church of Johnstown." It opens with the date 1785, and the inscriptions upon its pages are continued
in the same handwriting until the year 1790, when a call was extended to the Rev. Simon Hosack, who came and assumed
the duties of pastor. It is not known what clergyman administered the rite of baptism during the five preceding
years, as several are mentioned in the records as having been appointed to supply vacancies west of Albany.
Until the year 1799 the congregation had no church edifice of their own; "the meeting house" in which
they had worshiped was not the property of Presbyterians or Lutherans, who at that day used it, but together with
the glebe of forty acres was undoubtedly intended by Sir William Johnson for the Episcopal church. In 1778, by
authority of the provincial congress, the entire estate, including the church and property, became vested in the
state of New York. In 1784, however, the legislature passed an act for the speedy sale of confiscated lands, excepting
"the parsonage and glebe lands in Johnstown, in the county of Montgomery, or any land heretofore belonging
to Sir John Johnson, in said county, on which any church or place of worship is now erected, not reserving more
than two acres adjoining to such church or place of worship." The several religious denominations continued
to use the church, not, however, without some discord, and in 1793 the legislature passed an act that disposed
of the question temporarily, by giving the property during the pleasure of that body to the Presbyterians, reserving
the church edifice, however, on certain Sabbaths during the year for the use of the Lutherans and Episcopalians.
The act reads as follows, and plainly indicates that the legislature recognized the fact that the property belonged
to the state:
"Be it enacted by the people of the state of New York, represented in the senate and assembly, that all the
estate, right, title, interest, claim and demand of the people of the state of New York, in and to the stone church
in the village of Johnstown" (here the location and boundaries of the lot are given), "and also in and
to all that certain tract of land, containing about forty acres, heretofore set apart by the late Sir William Johnson
for a glebe to the church aforesaid, shall be and hereby are granted and vested in the trustees of the Presbyterian
congregation in the village of Johnstown, and their successors, for and during the pleasure of the legislature,
reserving, nevertheless, to the Lutherans, in the said town, the use of said church for four Sundays in each and
every year, that is to say: The first Sunday after Easter Sunday, the first after Whitsunday, the last in October,
and the last in December; and with the like reservation to the Episcopalians in aid town, or Sundays respectively
succeeding those herein mentioned, if required by any number of the last named persuasion not less than ten."
Again in 1797 the legislature passed another act, differing somewhat in its provisions for the disposal of the
property, but still holding that the title to the whole belonged to the state. It provided that the stone church
should be used by the Episcopalians, reserving the right of the Lutherans to hold services therein four Sundays
in each year, and the Presbyterians alternately with the Episcopalians. The glebe of forty acres was granted to
the trustees of the Presbyterian congregation. In 1818, in response to a petition from members of St. John's church,
a final act act was passed authorizing the comptroller to pay to the vestry and wardens of St. John's Episcopal
church the sum of $4,200, with in terest, which at that time was considered a fair equivalent for the glebe, but
long before this the Presbyterians had erected a house of worship for themselves. Front this point the history
of the two churches separates and follows different and distinct paths.
Mr. Hosack, who came to the church in 1790, was a young man just licensed to preach, and he found a wide field
in which to labor, extending as it did many miles in every direction. In 1795 a parsonage was built for him by
the congregation, in which he lived until the time of his death. In 1799 the society was strong enough to erect
a house of worship, which was noticed by Rev. John Taylor in his journal written in 1802, wherein he says of Johnstown,
"It contains a Scotch Presbyterian congregation which has an elegant meeting house." When the church
was completed the membership numbered 180, and the names of the following elders appear upon the record: William
Grant, Jeremiah Mason, Daniel McVean, John McArthur, and Daniel Walker; the deacons were John Stewart, Duncan McMartin,
James Mitchell and Alexander Russell. The custom then prevailed and continued many years in this church, of using
"tokens," which were carefully distributed to the members previous to the communion Sabbath, and collected
by an elder after they were seated at the table of the Lord. The church was very largely composed of Scotch people
who brought with them many of the customs of their own church.
During the forty three years of Pastor Hosack's connection with the church, he baptized 1,125 persons, an average
of nearly thirty each year, and the records show that he baptized as many as sixty persons some years. He continued
to be sole pastor of the church until his death, which occurred in 1833, but his increasing age made it necessary
that he have assistance during the latter years of his life, and in 1826, Rev. Gilbert Morgan, then a young man,
was called as a collegiate pastor, and his installation took place in February of that year. He remained with the
church until October, 1828 During this period difficulties arose among some of the members of the congregation
on account of a change in the manner of conducting the singing, which was considered an innovation. These troubles
culminated in 1827, when a number of the members, who had absented themselves some time from the services, seceded
from the church and with others formed a society which became connected with the Associate Presbyterian church.
Later on this was consolidated with the Associate Reformed church, and now constitutes the United Presbyterian
church of Johnstown.
Pastor Hosack was assisted in 1829 by Rev. Mr. Hinman. In January, 1831, Rev. Hugh Mair, who had recently arrived
in this country from Scotland, was called to act as a colleague of the pastor. He came and remained as such until
1833, when upon the occasion of the death of the venerable Hosack, he became sole pastor of the church. After this
event Mr. Mair remained with the congregation ten years, and then leaving Johnstown for another field, he returned
on a visit to his former flock and died in the bosom of a hospitable family. Rev. M. N. McLaren was the next preacher,
but he was never installed. He supplied the pulpit for a period of fifteen months. Rev. James Otterson was installed
in October, 1845, and remained until the year 1852. His successor was Rev. James P. Fisher, who came in July, 1853,
and continued as pastor of the church until June, 1860 Rev. Daniel Stewart came as stated supply, April 7, 1861,
and continued in this relation until April 4, 1869. He was followed in July of the last named year by Rev. Charles
H. Baldwin, who remained until April, 1873. Rev. M. E. Dunham was installed in August, 1873, and Was followed April
10, 1881, by the present pastor, Rev. D. McLane Reeves.
The congregation continued to worship in the old church edifice until the 10th of November, 1865, on which day
the last public service was held in it. As early as 1862 steps had been taken towards the erection of a more commodious
house of worship, and the present beautiful brick structure on South Market street is the result of these efforts.
The church was finished in 1865 at a cost of $33,000.
As the records of the church are incomplete it is impossible to give a full list of the past elders. Among them
were Peter McIntyre, in 1817; Henry Pawling, 1819; Archibald McLaren, James Fraser, Malcolm Carmichael, and John
D. McArthur, in 1830; David Miller, Peter McEwen, Robert Kennedy, and Peter Mix, in 1833; James Younglove and Jacob
Burton, in 1844; Vistus Balch, Belden Case, Philip Yauney, and Duncan McGregor, in 1853, and Archibald McFarlan,
James D. Parker, David D. Selmser, and Horace E. Smith, in 1867. The present elders are: Charles O. Cross, Lucius
L. Streeter, William D. Stewart, James Newton, John P. McEwen, H. D. McConkey, Horace E. Smith, and Sidney Bedford.
The deacons are: Sidney Argersinger, James McMartin, Peter McKie Wells, and Henry J. Barrett. The trustees are:
Martin Kennedy, Mortimer Wade, John H. Decker, John W. Cline, P. P. Arersinger, M. B. Northrup, Richard Evans,
and William Wooster.
Village of Johnstown Pages, Also see the town of Johnstown
Part 1 - Early General History
Part 2 - Schools, St. John's Episcopal Church and Presbyterian Church of Johnstown
Part 3 - Other Churches
Part 4 - Cemeteries - Historical Society - Utilities - Railroad
Part 5 - Banks, Newspapers, Opera House, Societies.
Part 6 - Glove Manufacturers
Part 7 - Leather Manufacturers - Miscellaneous Manufactures