The glove and mitten factory of P. P. Argersinger & Company is located in the brick buildings Nos. 2 to
8 North William street and No. 2 Church street. The business was established by P. P. Argersinger in the year 1862.
He began making gloves on a very small scale compared with the present extensive establishment. In 1864 his brother,
J. P. Argersinger, returned to Johnstown from California and became a partner, the glove firm being known thenceforth
as P. P. Argersinger & Company. The history of this firm is similar to that of the other large glove manufacturers
of Johnstown and Gloversville, inasmuch, the magnitude of its present business being due to untiring perseverance
and industry. The first of the brick buildings now occupied was erected in 1873, and together with two subsequent
additions the first built in 1881 and the second in 1889, constitute a block of about one hundred feet square,
three stories high, with a basement. The firm manufactures a general line of gloves, from the cheapest to the finest
qualities, in all styles, including deer, goat, elk, horsehide, hogskin and sheepskin for heavy goods, and kid,
dog, mocha, lambskin and coltskin in fine goods. The latter skin is an importation from Russia. There were manufactured
by Messrs. Argersinger in 1891 between 45,000 and 50,000 dozen pairs. At present they are turning out about 200
dozen pairs per day. They employ, inside and outside the factory, from four to five hundred people.
The Northrup Glove Manufacturing Company is located at 27 and 29 South Market street. The business of this
firm was originally established January, 1869, by M. S. Northrup, who was succeeded in 1872 by W. S. & M. S.
Northrup, and in 1875 by W. S. & M. S. Northrup & Company. The present company was capitalized in 1883,
the members. at that time consisting of W. S., M. S., M. B., J. C., and J. L. Northrup. These members constitute
the company at present, with the exception of J. C. Northrup, who died in 1889. The factory is a large, three story,
brick building, Sox too feet in area, fitted with the latest machinery known to the glove manufacturing trade.
The enterprise furnishes employment to 400 operatives, and the capacity of the factory is 40,000 dozen of gloves
per annum. The product includes fine doeskin, castor, kid, dog skin and the celebrated mocha gloves, which are.
well known wherever gloves are used. The company operate in conjunction with their glove factory an extensive skin
and leather mill, situated on the west side of Mill street. The tanning and dressing of mocha skins is the chief
industry at this mill, and as the process is particularly interesting, a brief description of it may not be out
of place in these pages. The mocha is a haired sheep, being in fact the same kind of animal as was tended by shepherds
as described in the Bible It is found in great numbers in Arabia and Africa, and the skins are imported to America
from Aden. There are two kinds of mocha, known as whiteheads and blackheads, respectively. The former come mostly
from Arabia, and the latter from Abyssinia and the headwaters of the Nile. In Messrs. Northrup's storehouse, a
building 50 x 80 feet in area, two stories high, are stored more than 60,000 of these skins, the firm controlling
three fifths of the entire importation to this country. On the upper floor of this building are stored a number
of antelope skins, of which the company still handle from 15,000 to 20,000 per year, although the supply is rapidly
decreasing. The skins are first received into the ground floor of the mill, which is used as a beamhouse, where
twenty vats are located. This floor is laid in one solid piece of concrete, so graded and intersected with gulleys
or sluiceways as to carry to a common center every drop of water or moisture, and preserving a dry, hard surface
for the feet of the workmen. The skins are first put in to soak, then run in the stocks to soften them, and subsequently
thrown in the lime vats, where they remain twenty four hours. They are then pulled, each skin being separately
put back in fresh lime liquor. After the skins are sufficiently limed they are put through the unhairing machine,
with which one man can accomplish as much in a day as eight could by the old process. They then go to the fleshing
machine, which removes all the superfluous pieces of flesh from them and stretches them out considerably. In August,
1891, a frizing machine was put into the mill, which removes the grain from the skins, and does it much more perfectly
than a man could do it by hand. About 450 skins are put through this machine per day. The next step in the process
is known as the scudding, which removes the inner grain, and is done by hand, over a beam, on which a heavy buckskin
is placed as a bolster. After the skins are scud and drenched they are placed in a revolving drum, ten feet in
diameter, with a dressing composed of salt, alum, and flour, in dilution. One thousand skins are placed in this
drum at one time and allowed to remain about two hours. After this they are allowed to drain for several hours,
and then put upon trays and hoisted to the top floor, where they are hung on tenter hooks in rooms heated by steam,
and dried They then undergo the process known to the trade as "making," which consists of placing the
skins in piles and permitting them to remain untouched for from four to six weeks. Their next trip is to the floor
below, where they are spread out in long wooden bins and covered with damp sawdust, which softens and mellows them.
They are then knee staked, arm staked, and put on the finishing wheel. This wheel is made of papier mache, with
an emery covering. The skins are then carried to the ground floor and placed in a slowly revolving drum, where
egg yolk is thoroughly worked into them for softening. It is in this part of the process that so many thousand
dozens of eggs are used by leather dressers. When thoroughly egged the skins are again hoisted to the upper floor
and dried, after which they are once more dampened in the sawdust, knee and arm staked, and then assorted for coloring,
with regard to those which are suitable for ladies' and men's wear. In the dyeing room two processes are used.
One, called the "dipsie," consists of placing the skins in a drum partly filled with warm water, where
the dye is slowly worked into them. In the other process the skins are placed upon a lead covered table and nicely
smoothed out. The operator then gives them a preparatory coat of mordaunt, afterwards going over them with a "slicker,"
which removes the superfluous liquid. They are then treated to four brushes of dye, "slicked" again,
and subjected to the action of a chemical known as a "striker," which sets the dye. As fast as two or
three dozen skins are dyed they are hung in an adjoining room to dry. Another process of dyeing, where umber and
clay colors are used, is done on the second floor. In this no mordaunt or striker is used. After being colored
and dried the skins go for the third time into the sawdust, and also receive another knee and arm staking. They
are then put on a fine emery wheel, which gives them their finishing touches. Final polish is given to the skins
by placing them on a revolving wheel covered with plush, which aside from imparting an excellent finish removes
all the dust. This wheel is the invention of a Johnstown leather worker, and when the skins have passed over it
they are ready for the glove cutter. One hundred workmen are employed in the mill, and 225,000 castor skins are
turned out annually.
J. H. Decker, Son & Company, glove manufacturers, occupy the three story building Number 29 North
Market street. The firm's business was established in Johnstown by J. H. Decker in 1875. He was one of the pioneer
glove manufacturers of Gloversville, having been associated there with J. C. Leonard under the firm name of Leonard
& Decker for many years. Mr. Decker carried on business alone until 1880, when his son, E. C. Decker, and in
1882, Sidney Argersinger were received into the firm, which has since been known as J. H. Decker, Son & Company.
The factory buildings cover an area of 50 x 200 feet, including a recent addition of 8o feet, and are all three
stories in height. The firm manufactures all classes of heavy and medium weight goods, the product in 1891 amounting
to upward of 50,000 dozen pairs. Employment is given to a large number of operatives, the greater part of the work
being done outside of the factory.
Mason, Campbell & Company, glove manufacturers, are located at to and 12 North Perry street. The firm
comprises as its members, James F. Mason, D. W. Campbell, J. F. Mason, jr., and D. Campbell Mason. The foundation
for the present business was laid in the year 1869, by James F. Mason and D. W. Campbell, formerly grocerymen of
Johnstown, who began making gloves on North Perry street. The junior members entered the firm in 1883. They manufacture
all kinds of gents' and ladies' gloves, including a full line of mochas. The product of this firm during the year
1891 was about 20,000 dozen pairs. The enterprise furnishes employment to about one hundred workers.
R. J. & R. Evans, glove manufacturers, 11 West State street. The business of this firm was established
by R. J. Evans in 1867. Richard Evans, a brother, was received as partner January 1, 1874, since which time the
style of the firm has been unchanged. Messrs. Evans have always manufactured a line of heavy goods, consisting
of buckskins, horsehide, calf and sheepskins. They occupy a brick building, 54x86 feet in area, three stories in
height, with an attic and basement. Extensive improvements were made to the building in 1879 and again in 1891.
The establishment furnishes employment to seventy five workers in the factory and about one hundred outside. There
were manufactured during 4891 about 25,000 dozen pairs of gloves.
Ireland Brothers are located at 23 and 25 West State street and manufacture fine gloves, consisting mostly
of kid, colt, mochas, and dog skins. They also make some lines of buckskins and heavy goods. The business was established
on Green street in 1875, by John S., James and David Ireland, who came to Johnstown from the west. They remained
on Green street until 1879, removing to their present quarters in September of that year. The dimensions of their
factory are 35x75 feet, the building being four stories in height. They employ altogether 150 operatives and manufactured
22,000 dozen pairs of gloves in 1891. John S. Ireland, the senior member of the firm, died October 26, 1891, the
remaining brothers (James and David) have since then conducted the business.
P. Z. Drumm's Sons manufacture a general line of heavy gloves, consisting of buck, calf, goat, hog, and
horse skins, in their factory on State street at the foot of William. The business was established in 1862, by
P. Z. Drumm, who began making gloves and mittens in a small way in the rear of his residence, corner of Green and
State streets, at the foot of William. This dwelling house is known as the oldest one in the village, having been
built in the days of Sir William Johnson. Mr. Drumm carried on the business alone until 1878, when he received
as a partner his son, Clifford H. Drumm, the firm taking the title of P. Z. Drumm & Son. The father died April
28, 1885, and the present firm was formed January 1, 1886, when another son, Edwin H. Drumm, was admitted, and
the firm name of P. Z. Drumm's Sons established. This firm manufactured about 8,000 dozen pairs during the year
The glove factory of Thomas E. Ricketts is located at 7 North Melcher street. This business was established
by Mr. Ricketts himself in 1868. The following year lie took Charles Hodgson as a partner and the firm style was
changed to Ricketts & Hodgson, continuing thus until October, 1876, when the building occupied by the firm,
which was located on the site of the present factory, was entirely destroyed by fire. The firm was then dissolved,
both members resuming the manufacture of gloves independently. The building now occupied by Mr. Ricketts was built
in 1877-78 and has been used by him as a factory ever since. It is 36x105 feet in area, built of brick, three stories
high. Mr. Hodgson remained a manufacturer in Johnstown about six years, when he relinquished his business to become
a foreman for M. Beeber & Company, Gloversville, a position he still holds. Mr. Ricketts employs about forty
workers in the factory, but a large portion of the the product is made outside. There were manufactured at this
establishment in 1891 about 10,000 dozen pairs of gloves.
Shults & Company, 26 and 28 South William street, are manufacturers of ladies' and gents' fine kid and
castor gloves. The business was established on its present site in 1867 by Byron G. Shults, senior member of the
present firm. At that time very few fine gloves were made in Fulton county, and possibly not a single overstitched
glove had been made in Johnstown. The building occupied is 40 by 8o feet in area, three stories high, and the firm
employs either in or out of the building 150 operatives. They manufactured 10,000 dozen pairs during the year 1891.
The present members of the firm are Byron G. Shunts and his son Edward W. Shults, the junior member having entered
the partnership in 1885.
J. C. Hutchinson, 33 South Market street, is engaged in the manufacture of fine kid and dog skin driving
gloves, both lined and unlined. Mr. Hutchinson started as a dealer in 1862 and began manufacturing in the year
1865 in the old yellow building opposite the county clerk's office on West Main street. He remained there until
1871, when, together with James Northrup, he purchased the old United Presbyterian church building on South Market
street The structure was repaired, enlarged and remodeled and the south half was used as a glove factory by Mr.
Hutchinson and the north half by Mr. Northrup. Mr. Hutchinson now employs on an average about sixty workers, and
manufactured upwards of 6,000 dozen pairs of gloves in 1891. The dimensions of his factory are 40 by 80 feet with
two "L's" of thirty feet each in the rear. The building is two stories high.
Wearer & Chant manufacture fine gloves exclusively, in the brick building at the southeast corner of
State and Melcher streets. The business was established by Thomas Busby in 1871 on South Perry street. The firm
of Busby & Weare was formed in 1874 and continued a year or two when, upon the withdrawal of Mr. Busby, Mr.
Weare carried on the business alone until 1884, when he became the junior member of the firm of J. C. Hutchinson
& Company. This connection lasted three years. In January, 1887, Mr. Weare associated himself with Ralph R.
Chant, forming the present firm of Weare & Chant. They employ altogether about twenty five or thirty workers
and made 3,000 dozen pairs in 1891. Their line includes mochas, fine kid and genuine dog skin gloves.
C. W. Rowles manufactures light grades of gloves, making a specialty of craven tan and cape driving gloves,
at 29 East Main street. Mr. Rowles succeeded to the business of his father, W. H. Rowles, who, with William Mister,
began making gloves in 1858 on the corner of Washington and Market streets, afterwards removing to a building on
West Main street. They subsequently purchased the old Presbyterian church and converted it into a glove factory.
Later on the building was purchased and greatly enlarged by its present occupants, J. H. Decker, Son & Company.
The firm of Rowles & Mister continued until 1870, when the junior member retired and removed to Virginia. In
1875 Mr. Rowles moved his factory to the present location on East Main street. He died March 29, 1889, and the
business has since been conducted by his son. There were manufactured at this factory during 1891 about 4,000 dozen
C. M. Rowell, 33 and 35 North Market street, manufactures gloves and mittens, making a specialty of Indian
tan buckskin gloves and mittens, and woolen mittens faced or palmed with leather. In the latter line Mr. Rowell
has been the largest manufacturer in the county for several years, making from 12,000 to 15,000 dozen pairs a year
of these goods. The business was established by Mr. Rowell in 1874 on South Market street. The building he now
occupies is 33 by 70 feet in area and three stories high. He employs from twenty to thirty workers and manufactured
about 10,000 dozen pairs in 1891. He is also connected with the Rowell Glove Company whose offices are at Waterloo,
Iowa, which city is made a distributing point of the company.
M. B. Vosburgh, 100 South Market street, corner Clinton avenue, manufactures a general line of kid, sheep
skin, mocha and buckskin gloves. Mr. Vosburgh began the manufacture of gloves in 1874 on South Melcher street,
removing afterward to a location on Clinton street, whence he moved to his present quarters in April, 1890. The
building he now occupies is the old Frothingham homestead, one of the oldest buildings in the village, having been
built in the year 1816 by Benjamin Chamberlain. Seven cutters are employed in Mr. Vosburgh's shop, but the gloves
are all sewed outside. About 12,000 dozen pairs were made by him in 1891.
Bernard Putnam, 24 South Melcher street, manufactures medium and heavy weight gloves for laboring men, including
kid and patent dressed stocks. Mr. Putnam began making gloves in 1876 and has carried on his business in its present
location from the start. Henry W. Potter was associated with him as partner during 1876 and W. S. Pierson during
the year 1879. Mr. Putnam made 3,000 dozen pairs in 1891.
William Windsor & Son, manufacturers of fine kid gloves and mittens, are located at 322 1/2 West Main
street. The business was begun by William Windsor in 1873 at 123 Main street. He received as a partner his son,
Arthur A. Windsor, in 1892, and the firm of William Windsor & Son was thus established. They manufacture about
1,500 dozen pairs during the year.
George R. Smith occupies the ground floor of the building at 13 West Green street. He manufactures a ladies'
fine kid glove which is intended to take the place of Perrin's imported goods. Mr. Smith began business on Main
street in 1879 where he remained until 1881, when the firm of Smith & Penny was formed, the junior member being
Albert Penny. They moved their business to the brick block on Melcher street now occupied by Stewart & Briggs.
In December, 1887, Mr. Smith purchased the interest of Mr. Penny and has since conducted the business alone. He
has occupied his present location since January 1, 1889. He manufactured about 1,800 dozen pairs in 1891.
Hall & Van Sickler manufacture kid gloves and mittens at 4 West Green street. The business was established
by them in 1875 at 14 West Green. They have occupied their present location since early in 1886. The firm is composed
of George Hall and C. H. Van Sickler.
The glove factory of Emenzo Bradt is located at No. 1 Gilbert street. The business was established in 1877
by Nelson Trooman and Emenzo Bradt on East State street. The firm was known as Vrooman & Bradt, and continued
under that style for seven years. The partnership was dissolved in January, 1884, and Mr. Bradt erected a factory
at the rear of his residence on Gilbert street. He has since made two additions to the original building, one in
1889 and another in 1891. Eight workers are employed in the shop, but all gloves are made outside.
Nelson Vrooman, glove manufacturer, is located at 108 and 110 South Market street. Mr. Vrooman has been
connected with the glove industry in its various branches for a period of forty years, having begun to make buckskin
gloves by hand when scarcely six years of age. He first engaged as a manufacturer in the fall of 1876, being then
located at what is now No. 3 South Meicher street and having Emenzo Bradt as partner. The firm of Vrooman &
Bradt continued seven years, the business being removed in 1877 to a factory on Church street, and in 1878 to No.
2 West State street where they remained four years. In the fall of 1883 Mr. Vrooman purchased his partner's entire
interest and established himself alone, removing to what is now the rear of 121 South Melcher street, where he
was located one year. He then hired a shop that stood on Melcher street, directly opposite Gilbert street, removing
to what was known as Northrup's red shop on South Market street in the rear of the Dutch Reformed church. In the
fall of 1886 he purchased the old Academy property on Market street and remodeled it into a glove factory and has
occupied it as such ever since. Mr. Vrooman employs in the factory about twenty operatives, nine being glove cutters.
His goods are all made outside the factory by farmers' wives and daughters to the number of seventy five or one
hundred persons. He manufactures a style of glove known as fleshers, kid and yellow grained leather, made up into
seventy or eighty different styles. Mr. Vrooman began by making about 3,500 dozen pairs per annum at a value of
$15,000 and has gradually increased his capacity until, in 1891, his output has reached 15,000 dozen at a value
Thomas Davies, glove manufacturer, occupies the west half of the building at 3 and 5 Church street. Mr.
Davies established himself as a manufacturer in 1875 in the building now occupied by the Johnstown Republican office,
remaining there for nearly fifteen years. In October, 1889, he purchased the Jacob Miller property on Church street,
which he repaired and remodeled and has occupied the building: together with the Johnstown Electric Light and Power
Company since early in 1890. Mr. Davies chiefly manufactures driving gloves and employs twenty workers. He made
about 2,200 dozen pairs in 1891.
James D. Pierson, manufactures gloves at 10 West Green street. The business was established about 1860,
by the late James Dunn, who was at different times associated with John Plantz, Matthew Bearcroft, and later on
Abram V. Pierson. The firm of Dunn & Pierson continued until 1880, when Mr. Pierson withdrew and the establishment
was carried on by Mr. Dunn until his death, which occurred in July, 1889. James D. Pierson has conducted the factory
since that time. He manufactures domestic kid gloves of all grades, and made 500 dozen pairs in 1891.
Edward H. Smith manufactures fine gloves and mittens at 31 South Perry street. He engaged in the manufacture
of gloves March 1, 1876, and at that time was located on West Clinton street, where he remained about one year.
He purchased the property he now occupies in the fall of 1882. Mr. Smith makes a specialty of fine table cut goods
and turned out 800 dozen pairs in 1891.
Mark L. Hambridge & Company occupy the building at 39 South Perry street. This business was established
in 1876, by M. L. Hambridge and G. H. Wheadon, on West Main street. The firm of Hambridge & Wheadon continued
about nine years. In January 1885, the present firm was formed and has carried on the business to this date. The
firm manufacture an excellent line of fine castor gloves, lined and unlined, and employ about thirty workers.
James H. Pierson, glove manufacturer, is located at 4 McMartin street. He began the manufacture of gloves
in 1879, on South Market street, where he remained about five years, removing to his present location April 1,
1884. He manufactures mens' and boys' T. B. gloves and mittens, and a Plymouth band top glove. He made about 1,500
dozen pairs in 1891.
William H. Streeter, glove manufacturer, is located in the new building at 307 State street. Mr. Streeter
began business in February, 1891, at 14 Cayadutta street. In November of the same year he erected the factory in
the rear of his residence, and has occupied the building since the latter part of December. He manufactures a general
line of fine kid gloves and mittens and also mocha castors. He made about 2,200 dozen pairs in 1891.
Arthur T. Hallock, glove manufacturer, occupies the lower floor of the Streeter mill at the corner of Mill
and State streets. Mr. Hallock began the manufacture of gloves in the rear of 4 McMartin street, November 26, 1890,
at the age of eighteen years. His chief capital was perseverance and integrity, and in less than six months felt
the necessity of more commodious quarters. He therefore, in July, 1891, removed his business to the premises he
now occupies and the capacity of his shop has increased from the limited number of pairs which he himself could
cut, to the product of eight cutters, whom he now employs. He manufactures sheep skin gloves and mittens exclusively
and made about 5,000 dozen pairs in 1891.
Stewart & Briggs, glove manufacturers, are located at 5 North Melcher street. The firm is composed of
James Stewart and William T. Briggs, the former having been the junior partner of the firm of Raymond & Stewart.
Upon the death of William H. Raymond in 1890, the present firm was established, its existence dating from January
1, of that year. Both members of the firm are descendants from pioneer families of Montgomery and Fulton counties,
and have built up an enviable standard of quality for their goods. The building they occupy is a brick structure
40X100 feet in area, three floors and basement. They make a general line of light and heavy goods for ladies' and
gents' wear, catering especially to the retail trade. They employ eighty to a hundred workers, of whom one half
are employed in the factory. The firm does a business of from $100,000 to $150,0000 annually.
George B. Wayne manufactures gloves at 18 South William street. He first engaged in this business on South
Market street in 1881, at the age of twenty two years, and has occupied his present location since January, 1883.
He manufactures a line of heavy goods, well known to the trade, consisting mostly of deer, calf, goat, hog skins
and Saranac and Spanish sheep. He made about 3,000 dozen pairs in 1891. His first deposit was $50.00 in the First
National Bank in 1880, giving his note for the purchase of the stock of Captain Thomas Wayne, his uncle, who first
started the business in 1866. Mr. Wayne has been successful, although meeting with many losses, but having the
spirit of General Anthony Wayne, with firm determination he has overcome many financial difficulties.
Peckham, Powell & Co., 31 South Market street, are glove manufacturers. The business was established
in 1880 by S. C. Peckham and W. E. Powell, and that partnership continued until January, 1892, when F. D. Oliver
was received as a member of the firm. They confine themselves to a line of heavy and medium weight gloves and mittens,
and sell their goods direct to the retailers. The firm handle about 12,000 dozen pairs per annum.
J. P. Miller & Co., glove manufacturers, are located at 32 South Melcher street. The business was established
in 1864 by John Stewart and J. P. Miller, the firm of Stewart & Miller continuing until 1875, at which time
Mr. Stewart retired and Mr. Miller conducted the business alone until 1889. Charles A. Miller (a son), and William
P. Miller (a nephew), were then received into the firm as partners, but no change has been made since. The firm
manufactures a general line of both light and heavy gloves, and the average annual output is about 20,000 dozen
pairs. Employment is furnished to sixty workers inside and between fifteen and twenty outside.
M. Wade & Son, 12 West Montgomery street, are manufacturers of gloves and mittens. This business was
established in Epliratah in 1857 and removed to Johnstown in 1861. Frank B. Wade was received as a partner in 1889.
The firm has confined itself more particularly to the manufacture of leather harvest mittens and gloves, and their
output averages about 6,000 dozen per year.
S. E. Trumbull manufactures all kinds of light and heavy gloves at 21 South Market street. This business
was established by Peter R. Simmons, who began making gloves in Rockwood, and moved his establishment to Johnstown
about ten years ago. Mr. Simmons died in 1881, and Mr. Trumbull purchased the business in September, 1881, and
conducted it at Rockwood until January 1, 1883, when he removed it to Johnstown. In 1891 he also purchased the
stock and tools of Banta & Quibert, who had been engaged in glove making in the same building about two years,
although prior to that they had been in business in Johnstown for several years. Mr. Trumbull also manufactures
paper boxes in the same factory. He was for a time associated in this branch of the business with Nelson Vrooman,
but during the past sixteen years has conducted the establishment alone. There are employed in the factory sixty
operatives. About 10,000 dozens of gloves and mittens were made at this shop in 1891.
E. J. Lucas, 19 West State street, manufactures fine gloves exclusively. Mr. Lucas learned his trade in
England and came to Johnstown and began business for himself in the latter part of 1890. He has had the benefit
of experience with some of the best manufacturers. Riton Brothers, glove manufacturers, are located at 111 North
Perry street. The firm is composed of Charles J. and Eugene Riton, and a specialty of fine overstitched goods is
made. They began business on Melcher street in 1887, and have occupied their present location since January 1,
William J. Larcombe, manufacturers fine gloves at 118 East Main street. He began on East Main street near
the old cooperative shop in 1885 and the following year was in partnership with Stephen E. Wairath for about eight
months. He makes a specialty of ladies' real kid foster lacing and gauntlet gloves, and turned out 500 dozen pairs
George Geary, glove manufacturer, occupies the brick building No. 27 South William street. He began manufacturing
on West Clinton street in 1876. In 1885 he formed a partnership with Louis Jennison which lasted two years. He
has occupied his present factory since January, 1887. Mr. Geary makes a specialty of fine goods, and turned out
3,000 dozen pairs in 1891.
J. I. McMartin's Sons, glove manufacturers, are located at 3 East Clinton avenue. This business was established
by James I. McMartin, prior to 1843, he continuing in the business during the remainder of his life. The firm of
J. I. McMartin & Sons was established in January, 188 t, at that time Daniel, Eli P., and Archibald McMartin
were received into partnership. The following year, James Martin (the youngest son) was also made a partner, and
in January, 1883, Daniel McMartin, the eldest son, withdrew his interest and the business was conducted by the
father and three remaining sons until the death of the former, which occurred January 2, 1888. It was at that time
the present firm name was adopted. Eli P. McMartin died May 17, 1891. The firm manufacture a general line but make
aspecialty of medium weight and heavy buckskin goods. Their product has been long and favorably known to the trade
and they have recently (1892) registered as their trade mark the initial M enclosed in a diamond, which they have
used for several years past as a distinctive brand for their goods.
Chapman Brothers manufacture California leather, Saranac and buckskin gloves at 37 East Main street. The
firm is composed of George H. and William F. Chapman. George Chapman succeeded to the business of Northrup, Richards
& Company, which firm has been in operation in I3roadalbin for nearly thirty years. He removed to Johnstown
in 1890 and William F. Chapman became a partner the following year. They made 2,000 dozen pairs in 1891.
Andrews & Johns, glove manufacturers, occupy the rear premises of Nos. 7 and 9 McMartin street. The
firm consists of G. S. Andrews and J. Johns, who started the present business January 1, 1892. They make a medium
grade of gloves, including specialties in jersey cloth goods.
William D. Foote, manufacturer of all kinds of fur gloves, began business in 1868 as a manufacturer of buckskin
goods. He has been located in his present quarters since 1875 and made about 600 dozen pairs during 1891.
F. J. Raymond & Son, manufacturers of fine kid gloves and mittens, No. 9 Green street and 7 Smith street.
The enterprising and prosperous firm of F. J. Raymond & Son, manufacturers of fine kid gloves and mittens,
whose products have secured an enduring hold on popular favor all over the United States, owing to the uniformly
high standard of excellence at which they are maintained, was established in 1886. The success that has attended
the enterprise from its inception fully attests the superiority of the articles manufactured as well as the energy
and ability displayed in the management of the same.
The factory which, is located on Green and Smith streets, is a large and commodious two story building one hundred
feet in length, fitted up with electric motor power and thoroughly equipped with new and improved machinery, furnishing
steady employment to a number of skilled operators in the various departments.
John D. Lefler, manufacturer of a general line of light and heavy gloves, 30 North Market street, began
business January 1, 1888. He now employs about fifty workers and made 5,000 dozen pairs in 1891.
Among others who are engaged in the manufacture of gloves in Johnstown may be mentioned Hewitt & Hillock,
113 North Perry street, whose business was established in January 1889; John M. Dougall, 100 West Green street,
began business with Albert Penny in 1889, and has been a leather manufacturer since 1878; James H. Foote. 211 South
Perry street, first engaged as a manufacturer in 1888. A few other names might be added but lack of space prevents
Village of Johnstown Pages, Also see the town of Johnstown
Part 1 - Early General History
Part 2 - Schools, St. John's Episcopal Church and Presbyterian Church of Johnstown
Part 3 - Other Churches
Part 4 - Cemeteries - Historical Society - Utilities - Railroad
Part 5 - Banks, Newspapers, Opera House, Societies.
Part 6 - Glove Manufacturers
Part 7 - Leather Manufacturers - Miscellaneous Manufactures