Leather Manufacturers - Miscellaneous Manufactures
Leather Manufacturers. - J. O. Adams, manufacturer of glove leather, is located at 9, 11, 13 Adams avenue.
He first engaged in this business in 1864, doing beam work and Indian dressing only. He was at that time located
in a shop on West Fulton street where he remained about four years, removing thence to the rear of 5 Green street,
where he had a small shop in which he did Indian dressing and also dealt in skins. In 1875 he erected a leather
mill on the property and operated it for fourteen years. It was burned in March, 1891, some years after Mr. Adams
had vacated it. In August, 1866, he purchased the property known as the "Webber Mill" and this, with
several large additions, constitutes his present plant. The main structure is 120 feet in length, 50 feet in width
and three and a half stories high. A beam shop built in 1888, 30 by 50 feet, contains sixteen vats. During the
winter of 1891 an addition 30 by 76 was built on the south and is used as a wareroom, for storing the skins in
the raw state. On the west side of the mill is another storehouse 25 by 70 in area, for the storing of oil and
unfinished skins. There is also a beam shop with eighteen vats located at 29 Beaver street which also furnishes
skins for this mill. The latter is fully equipped with stocks, drums, paddles, etc., for tanning and coloring;
also breaking, staking and finishing machines for the more advanced stages of the process, and the large dry rooms
on the third floor are fitted with 1,800 feet of steam pipe. It is operated by a one hundred horse power steam
engine and a fifty horse power waterwheel. About 400 barrels of oil are used at this mill annually. Employment
is furnished to forty five men and the plant has a capacity of 250,000 to 300,000 skins per annum. The product
includes hog, East India elk, Rocky Mountain elk, all kinds of deer skins; sheep, horsehide, cow hide, and the
various kinds of goat skins used in the leather trade. Mr. Adams was the first man to dress hog skins with the
grain on in Johnstown and has been remarkably successful with this grade of skins.
J. V. & C. King, manufacturers of all kinds of glove leather, have an extensive plant at the foot of Miller
streets. This business was begun by J. V. King in January, 1867. He began tanning leather in what was known as
the "Old Swamp Mill" near Gloversville. He remained there three years, removing then to the T. W. &
I. Miller mill. He occupied the latter eleven years and in 1876 received his son, Charles King, into partnership.
On August 3, 1891, the firm purchased of David D. Miller the property they now occupy. The first mill on this property
burned July 30. 1883, but another was immediately erected to fill its place. Disastrous fire again visited the
King property December 28, 1886, destroying the new mill, but the present buildings were erected at once and were
in operation in six weeks The main building is 40 by 176 in area and three and one half stories in height, and
connected with it are beam houses and other necessary buildings. The forty six lime vats have a capacity of 25,000
skins and the whole mill is fitted with the most approved machinery for the successful production of glove leather.
About fifty barrels of egg yolk and four hundred barrels of oil are used at this mill annually. The plant has a
total capacity of 300,000 skins per annum. Between forty and sixty workers are employed.
Mainlander Bros., dealers in and dressers of glove leather of every description, are located on Maple avenue. The
firm at present consists of L. K. Mainlander and William H. Maylander. The business was established by Max Maylander,
in 1868. The original mill, built in 1868, wads 26 by 40 feet in area and two stories high. An addition was built
in 1877, 20 by 26, and another in 1887, 26 by 40. In 1891 the business had so increased that still another addition,
24 by 40, was necessary, and in 1892 still another addition, 26 by 90, four stories. The mill contains several
large drums and wringing machines, besides other expensive and improved machinery used in the manufacture of finer
grades of kid leather for gloves. Twenty eight workers are employed and the capacity is about 12,000 dozen skins
per annum. The product includes the various kinds of kid dressed sheep and lamb skins, and the firm make a specialty
of the craven tan. Until recently it was supposed that this leather could only be made in Europe, but the American
product is now judged by some manufacturers to be superior to the imported article.
Henry D. McConkey, manufacturer of glove and shoe leather, is located on Park Place, and receives excellent water
power from Gayadutta creek. Mr. McConkey purchased this property in 1889. It was known as the "Anderson Mill."
He at once began the erection of the present mill, which is a frame building 50 by 150 feet in area, with an "I,"
both structures being four stories high with basement The mill throughout is fitted with stocks, paddles, drums,
breaking, staking and finishing machinery of the most improved pattern. The entire third floor is devoted to drying
the skins and is equipped with the Blakeman system, which consists of a 43 inch exhaust fan and two banks of steam
pipes. The product of Mr. McConkey's mill includes buckskin, mocha castors, chamois, yellow and kid leather for
gloves, and dongola leather for shoes, and its total capacity is about 1,000 skins per day.
The Mills Leather Company occupy the "Old Red Mill" at the corner of Washington and Mill streets. This
company is composed of the Mills Brothers, of Gloversville, who began business here as manufacturers of glove leather
exclusively, January 1, 1892. This mill is one of the old landmarks of Johnstown and has a capacity of 300,000
skins per year. It is fitted with two overshot water wheels which have a combined capacity equal to one hundred
William Topp, leather and glove manufacturer, is located at the corner of North Perry and Miller streets. Mr. Topp
began the manufacture of gloves and the tanning of leather on a very small scale in the year 1877, on the site
of his present factory. His first specialty was an Indian tan, one finger harvest mitten, which was the first time
this particular leather was ever manufactured into this style. Mr. Topp enlarged from time to time his capacity
for tanning different grades of leather, until his output included shoe kid, dongola goat, kangaroo, calf and sheep,
calf kid, glove kid, yellow and Indian tan, sheep, lamb and calf skins. His first steam leather mill was erected
in 1882, and was destroyed by fire September 20, 1887. A new mill was immediately built, which shared a similar
fate, in August, 1888. The present mill is larger then either of its predecessors and was built on the same site.
It is 40 x 75 feet in area, two stories high with basement, the tanning of the leather taking place in this latter
apartment. The drying and finishing is accomplished on the upper floors where special machinery is used. The glove
factory is a two story building located directly west of the leather mill. Thirty workers, including ten cutters,
are employed in the former, and about fifteen in the latter. Mr. Topp manufactures heavy and light gloves, making
a specialty of one finger mittens, as well as Brazilian beaver fur gloves. In leather he makes the yellow and Indian
tan, kid, craven tan in both sheep and lamb, and white and yellow calf. For the shoe trade he makes among other
leathers, kid, dongola goat, kangaroo, calf and sheep kid in dongola finish. His capacity for tanning sheep stock
is 1,200 dozen skins per month. Mr. Topp manufactured about 14,000 dozen pairs of gloves and mittens in 1891.
Guibert & Lauret, leather dressers and colorers, until recently occupied the Simon Schriver mill at 22 East
Green street. This building was burned April 8, 1892. The firm is composed of Eugene A. Guibert and Louis Lauret,
who established the business in 1890. They make mocha castors, kid and chamois leather of a superior quality and
have a capacity of 2,000 skins per week. Thirty five workers are employed in the factory. Prior to embarking in
the leather business Mr. Guibert had been engaged in the manufacture of gloves with James A. Banta in Johnstown
for several years, and was conversant with the various kinds of glove leather. Mr. Lauret is an experienced leather
manufacturer, who came to Johnstown from Millau, France, as did also Mr. Guibert. The firm are building a factory
larger than the one above mentioned, in the city of Gloversville, and they now reside in that place.
Roucoules & Limousin, leather dressers and colorers, occupy a mill on Bridge street. The business was established
by Emile Roucoules in 1883. He confined himself at that time to coloring leather and was located on East Main street,
afterwards removing to a shop on Melcher street. In the spring of 1889 the firm erected the mill they now occupy.
The main building is a frame structure, thirty two by ninety feet in area, three stories high. The tanning, beam
work and coloring are all done on the ground floor, as is also the finishing of undressed kid suede. The upper
floors are used for knee staking, finishing and drying. They are at present (1892) erecting a three story 85 x
26 addition to their main building, for a coloring shop, which will be completed by the middle of June or thereabouts,
and will utilize the main building for beam work and tanning. Will employ a force of 125 to 150 hands and will
turn out double the work they have been doing. The firm manufactures leather for fine gloves almost exclusively,
making a specialty of mocha castor. They have recently begun the manufacture of a domestic sheep and lamb skin,
dressed in a castor, which they call American castor. Both members of the firm learned their trade in France. They
employ from fifty five to sixty operatives and turn out about 700 skins per day.
Styer & Behlen, leather manufacturers, are located at the rear of 27 West State street. The members of the
firm are John Styer and Frederick Behien, who established the business in 1884. Their mill is a three story frame
building, twenty two by eighty feet in area. The tanning is done on the ground floor and fifteen men are employed
in the establishment. For the past three years the firm have turned out 15,000 dozen skins per annum. They dress
all kinds of domestic glove leather, making a specialty of yellow tan leather and kid.
Thompson, Lord & Company, leather manufacturers, occupy a square bounded by Fulton street, Mill street,
the F. J. & G., railway tracks and Cayadutta creek. The firm is composed of A. W. Thompson and Thomas Lord,
both residents of Boston, and their salesroom and offices are located at 38 and 40 High street in that city. The
firm established itself in Johnstown in January, 1890. The dimensions of the main building are 30 x 125 feet, three
and a half stories high, with a tower, brick boiler and engine house and drying sheds. There are sixteen vats in
the beam house and when completed there will be in operation twelve paddles, three drums, and one set of stocks.
The second floor is devoted to finishing. In this part of the process the staking, glazing, breaking and finishing
is done, all being accomplished on special machinery. The third floor is used exclusively for drying and is fitted
with a Sturtevant heater and blower. By this system the temperature in the drying room is kept at one hundred degrees
Fahrenheit. The building is lighted by electricity, and when the new addition and machinery are completed and in
operation, the plant will have cost $20,000. Seventy five men are employed, and the mill is turning out one hundred
dozen skins per day. The product consists entirely of shoe leather and includes kangaroo calf, seal goat, dull
dongola, and glazed kid, made from various species of skins.
E. Ackerknecht, manufacturer of kid leather, is located at 1 2 1 Washington and 124 Fulton street. This business
was established by Ferdinand Ackerknecht, father of the present proprietor, in 1858. He was first located at the
corner of Water and Mill streets. His son became associated with him about fifteen years ago, and since 1883 he
has conducted the establishment alone. The mill he now occupies was built in March, 1891, taking the place of an
old mill which was torn down to make room for its successor. The main building is 40x60 feet in area, four stories
high with garret. The tanning is done on the ground floor of the main building, the drying, knee staking and the
finishing is done on the second floor, and the arm staking and fleshing on the third floor; while the fourth is
used as a drying and stock room. Twenty workers are employed and about 140 dozen skins are manufactured per week.
The product consists chic fly of domestic lamb and sheep skins, suitable for fine gloves. Mr. Ackerknecht also
deals in egg yolk.
Eli Cool, manufacturer of kid and yellow glove leather, is located at 41 Cayadutta street. This business was established
by Cool & Adams in 1872 and continued by them until 1883 when the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Cool began
on his own account. The mill building is 22 feet by 50 with an "L" 55 feet in width, all built of wood
and three and one half stories in height. Employment is furnished to thirteen men and about 5,000 dozen skins were
turned out last year.
Isaac Morris, importer of Ellstatter's glove leather, 16 and 18 More block, East Main street, about three years
ago established his present importing business. He gives his entire attention to imported leather, and handles
no domestic stock whatever. His specialties include dipped leather, colt skins, suedes, and all classes and grades
of lamb skins used for ladies' and gentlemen's fine gloves. The leather is commonly known among manufacturers as
"Ellstatter's" leather, named after the founder of the factory, which is located at Muhlburg, Baden,
Germany. It is now designated as the "Glace Leder Fabrik" and is used by the first manufacturers of Europe
and America, being noted for its softness, mellowness, as well as its beautiful shades of color. Mr. Morris is
the largest importer of glove leather in America.
Joseph Vorel, leather dresser, is located at 337 West Main street. This business was begun by Joseph Vorel &
Company in 1883, and continued by them until 1885, when Mr. Vorel left Johnstown about five years, acting in the
mean time as foreman for different factories in various places. He returned, however, in 1889, and re-established
the leather dressing business under the firm name of Vorel & Company, having as partners his father, Joseph
Vorel, and brother in law Frank Schos. This firm conducted the enterprise two years, when Charles Miller was received
as a partner, and the firm of Vorel & Miller thus formed. This arrangement continued only six months when Mr.
Vorel purchased his partner's interest and carried on the business alone ever since. Mr. Vorel is at present engaged
in dressing mocha kid, mocha castor, craven tan, domestic kid, fleshers, and imitation of buckskin leather. The
mill has a capacity of thirty five dozen per day, and employment is furnished to about twelve men.
John W. Hagadorn, leather manufacturer, operates a mill on Townsend avenue. The business was established in 1874
by N. T. Webber and John W. Hagadorn, in a mill at the foot of Montgomery street. This firm continued until 1881,
when the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Hagadorn has since conducted the business alone In 1884 he rented his
present mill of Townsend & Yale, of New York, and in 1889 purchased the mill and nine acres of ground adjoining.
He makes a specialty of buckskin leather and turns out between 100,000 and 150,000 deer skins a year, furnishing
employment to about twenty two laborers.
S. E. Walrath, leather dresser, is located at No. 113 and 113 Washington avenue. He first engaged in the manufacture
of leather in 1887, having been in the glove business three years prior to that day. In the spring of 1889 he erected
a frame mill 25 x 50 feet, four stories. To accommodate his growing business he built in December, 1891, an addition
to his mill, and incorporated numerous additional facilities. His ground floor is devoted to wringing, tanning
and coloring. On the second floor is the office, stock and finishing room, and also accommodations for the knee
and arm stakers. The third and fourth floors are given up to drying rooms. Employment is given to about sixteen
workers, and the mill has a capacity of several hundred dozens of skins per month. The product consists of domestic
sheep and lamb skins, tanned and colored in all shades.
John De Garmo, leather manufacturer, is located in the northern part of the village between Grove and Mill streets.
Mr. De Garmo first engaged in the leather business in 1890, after having been a prominent retail grocer of Johnstown
for six years. He occupies two mill buildings; the engine room, and the wringing and tanning department are located
on the ground floor of the main building, and on the second floor of which the white leather is dried and also
the knee and arm staking is done. The cold drying rooms are on the upper floor. The hot air drying is effected
by circulating steam pipes and an exhaust fan. The establishment furnishes employment to thirty five workers, and
the mill is turning out from 700 to 900 dozen of choice kid skins per month.
The factory of Lebenheim & Company, manufacturers of glove and shoe leather, is situated on the west side of
Factory street near the foot of Montgomery. The business was established in 188x, by E. Nollain & Company,
in the mill now occupied by Thompson, Lord & Company. In 1885 the firm moved to the old factory building just
north of their present mill, where they remained about six years. In 1886 the firm name was changed to Lebenheim
& Company, and the building they now occupy was erected in 1891. The tanning is done in the basement which
contains fourteen vats. On the first floor, eleven paddles and six drums are in operation, with two double sets
of stocks. The finishing and drying take place on the upper floors of the building. Between thirty and forty workers
are employed and one hundred dozen skins are manufactured each day. The shoe leather made at this mill consists
of dry stock and calf, and the glove leather is known as the "California tan."
Matthew Lynaugh, leather dresser, occupies the mill at 325 West Montgomery street. This business was begun in
1891, under the firm name of Sutliff & Lynaugh. On January 1, 1892, Mr. Lynaugh purchased the interest of W.
M. Sutliff and has since then conducted the mill alone. It is a two story frame building, 40 x 70 feet in area,
on the first floor of which are located seven double sets of stocks for milling oil and Indian dressed leather.
The upper floor is used for a finishing room and coloring shop. The capacity of the mill is about 80,000 skins
per year, which consists principally of buckskin, sheep, and antelope tanned in both oil and fat liquor dressing.
A. M. Adams & Son, manufacturers of kid leather, are located at the rear of 12 East Green street. The business
of this firm was established by A. M. Adams, on Water street in 1862, dressing milled leather. He remained there
one year when he removed to a location on West Fulton street, where he received as a partner C. N. Allsworth, the
firm being styled Allsworth & Adams. They confined themselves entirely to beam work for two years, taking up
the manufacture of kid the third year. Mr. Adams then moved to Rockwood, where he was in the milling business for
two years, returning to Johnstown in February, 1868. In 1869 he hired a part of the Stewart mill and dressed milled
leather there for one year. The firm of Cool & Adams was then established, the junior partner being Eli Cool,
of Johnstown. This firm was engaged in buying, dressing and selling kid leather for thirteen years. Mr. Cool withdrew
in 1883 and Mr. Adams continued the business alone until 1890, when he received as a partner, his son, Frank Adams.
Father and son are experienced leather workers and to this fact is due the gratifying success of their enterprise.
The present mill was built in 1893, several additions having since been made. Twelve workers are employed and thirty
to forty dozen of domestic kid are manufactured each day.
John Carncross, manufacturer of oil dressed, Indian tan and yellow leather, occupies the Stewart mill at the foot
of West Montgomery street. This business was established by George Miller and John Carncross in 1878 on the opposite
side of the creek. The firm of Miller & Carncross carried on the business until 1880, when C. S. Wemple took
the interest of Mr. Miller and the firm of Carncross & Wemple was formed, and continued until March, 1890,
since which time the present proprietor has conducted the business alone. This mill was built by George Stewart
and is fully equipped with modern tanning machinery and appliances and has the advantage of a never failing water
powerĄ Mr. Carncross turned out 130,000 skins during 1891.
Delos Brower, leather manufacturer, is located at 110 North Market street. He came to Johnstown in 1879 and began
business in 1887, in John O. Adams' mill on Green street. Later on he moved to the Schriver mill on the same street,
and to his present location in 1891. The mill he now occupies was built by Barter & Whitmore in 1887 and subsequently
passed into the hands of George Maylander, who disposed of it to Stone, Timlow & Company. Mr. Brower purchased
it in November, 1890, and has since made several extensive additions. He employs twenty six workers and turns out
forty five dozen skins per day.
Stokes & Getman, dressers of glove leather, are located at 100 Washington street. The firm is composed of Oscar
Stokes and William Getman, who succeeded to the business of John Luther in August, 1891. The firm manufactures
glove leather from domestic sheep and lambskins and turn out twenty dozens per day.
Mark M. Hall, leather dresser, 114 North Perry street, began business in the fall of 1879, in the "old yellow
mill" recently purchased by Miller, Argersinger & Company. At present he employs ten or twelve men, and
manufactured about 6o,000 skins during 1891.
Miller, Argersinger & Company, manufacturers of glove leather, are located at the corner of Mill and Water
streets. This firm is composed of Warren Miller, Leonard Argersinger and C. M. Putnam. The business was originally
established by Eli Argersinger and Warren Miller in 1874 and was carried on by that firm until 1882. The present
firm is a consolidation of Miller & Putnam and Leonard Argersinger. They occupied the "old red mill,"
belonging to David A. Wells, for seven years, and purchased their present property of John E. Wells in 1887. They
have since made several additions and improvements and the mill is fully equipped with modern machinery. The product
includes the different classes of skins used in the manufacture of gloves and the mill has a capacity for turning
out a large amount of leather.
Miscellaneous Manufactures. - Charles B. Knox, manufacturer of gelatine, is located on the line of the F.
J. & G. railroad near the foot of West Montgomery street. The factory building is 45 by 100, four stories high,
and was completed in December, 1890, at which time operations were begun in the chemical department. The raw material
from which gelatine is made comes from nearly all the leather mills in the county, but the most desirable part
of it consists of the skin of calves' heads, and a few other portions of the animal which contain gelatine to a
large degree. It is first washed in clear spring water for twenty four hours, and then placed in a chemical bath
which raises the grease to the surface, after which it is treated with a solution of lime and soda for eight weeks,
to remove all impurities. It is then again placed in drums, and washed thoroughly in spring water forty eight hours,
which makes it as white and clear as a piece of paper. It then goes to the first floor where the cooking is done.
This process is accomplished in three kettles, each having a capacity of one ton of gelatine. It is then drawn
off in the form of a liquid and pumped to the cooling room of the third floor where, after having gone through
four filters, the liquid is drawn into metal lined cooling boxes and is kept at a temperature of fifty degrees.
It soon solidifies into jelly and is then taken to the cutting room on the same floor where it is cut into sheets
about 1/4 inch in thickness and then spread by girls on cotton nets to dry. It is then placed in the drying room,
where with revolving fans and artificial heat all moisture is evaporated. This room is kept at a temperature of
seventy degrees in one end and fifty degrees in the other, the sheets being moved gradually toward the highest
temperature. Then in the form of oblong sheets of transparent gelatine, it goes to the fourth floor where all perfect
pieces are shredded and packed into small boxes for table use. Any pieces that are imperfect in color and clearness
are ground in a large mill and sold as confectioner's gelatine and also for decorator's use. The establishment
furnishes employment to thirty five workers and the capacity averages one ton of product per day. Mr. Knox's gelatine
received the medal of superiority over all brands at the American Institute fair in New York, held in October,
1891; also the pure food exposition in Boston in 1891, and the same at Philadelphia exposition last year. This
is the only gelatine made in this country which is positively free from all odor and taste.
The Brower Glue Manufacturing Company, whose works are located on Maple avenue opposite the Maylander mill, succeeded
to the business of A. Brower & Son, who had been engaged in the manufacture of glue for the past twenty five
years. The company operate two factories, one in Johnstown and the other in Gloversville. The manufacture of glue
in the locality of these two glove manufacturing centers depends directly on the glove industry itself. The raw
skins that are imported to the leather dressers are divested at the beam shops of clippings from their fleshy side,
in order to make them uniform. These clippings constitute the glue stock, known to the local trade as "pates."
The process used in making glue consists chiefly of thoroughly washing and boiling the stock, but the fine quality
of the product is almost wholly due to patented processes and also years of experience. This company, as organized
in 1888, consists of A. Brower, A. D. Brower, W. W. Brower and H. M. Brower. The output of Johnstown factory is
about 7,000 pounds per week.
James I. Younglove is proprietor of a planing mill and lumber yard at No. 112-116 North Market street. It is
the oldest established planing mill in the county and was built at a time when there were but few houses in Johnstown
as far north as the mill. The business was begun by Spalding & Voorhees in 1856. At that time the Woodworth
rotary planer was about the only machine of its kind in use, and John Gibson, of Albany, controlled the rights
for certain territory in this state. Spalding & Voorhees were compelled to. pay him a royalty of twenty five
per cent. of the gross earnings of the machine on all lumber planed by it. In 1857 Andrew Spalding withdrew from
the firm and the business was conducted by John H. Voorhees until 1860, when the firm became Voorhees & Younglove,
James Younglove taking part interest in the concern. Thus it continued until 1870, when Mr. Voorhees withdrew and
went to Brooklyn. In 1873 James I. Younglove, a son, was received as a partner, and the following year the firm
style became Younglove, Son & Co., by the addition of Amos Hess. In January, 1884, the present proprietor purchased
his partners' interests and has since conducted the enterprise alone. He manufactures sash, blinds and doors, and
for the past two years has been the only one doing this class of work in the county. In connection with the mill
he also conducts a fully equipped lumber yard, and handles lime, cement, and sewer pipe. The mill has a capacity
of 25,000 feet per day, and the establishment has never been shut down on a working day since it was first opened.
John E. Seaman & Co., 27, 29, 31 and 33 Chestnut street, are contractors and builders, and deal in all kinds
of building material. They also operate in connection with their establishment a steam planing mill, in which are
manufactured all kinds of mouldings, ceilings, floorings, doors, sash and blinds, and adjoining the whole is a
well stocked lumber yard. The business was established in 1856 by John E. Seaman, the present senior member of
the firm. He was located for many years at the corner of Smith and Market streets, and moved to his present location
in 1888. Philemon M. Simmons became a partner in 1872, after which the firm was known as John E. Seaman & Co.,
and in 1888 James T. Seaman, a son of the senior member, was also received into the firm. Messrs. Seaman &
Co. have built a great share of Johnstown's finest residences and business buildings, including the greater part
of the brick blocks on Main street, and many of the handsome dwellings on South William and other prominent thoroughfares.
Within the past few years the firm has furnished many towns in various parts of the state with folding booths for
voting purposes, as required by the new election law. Notable among these contracts were all the booths used in
Fulton and Hamilton counties.
L. Stephenson, general retail lumber dealer, conducts extensive yards at the corner of State, Mill and Washington
streets. The business was established by Mr. Stephenson in 1867, and the venture was fully warranted by the fact
that he had been connected with the lumber business in Johnstown since 1855. He has occupied his present location
for the past ten or twelve years. Aside from a general jobbing trade in all kinds of lumber building material,
Mr. Stephenson conducts a fully equipped planing mill, which furnishes employment to eight workers and is fitted
with modern machinery for planing, moulding, scroll sawing and turning. Sash, doors and blinds are also manufactured,
and contractors are supplied on short notice.
Jonah Hess, contractor and builder, 404 West Main street, began business in the year 1874 under the firm name of
Moyer & Hess. This partnership continued three years, when Mr. Hess purchased his partner's interest, and has
since then conducted the business alone. He has built many of Johnstown's best residences and public buildings,
including the Methodist, Episcopal and Baptist churches, the latter now in process of erection. He conducts a well
equipped shop, which has been enlarged from time to time, and at present contains seven wood working machines,
operated by a ten horse electric motor, and furnishes employment to six or eight men. The shop has a capacity for
turning out doors, mouldings, counters and store fixtures, together with other general wood working material. In
his building operations Mr. Hess furnishes employment to about twenty carpenters. His office and warerooms are
located at 22 Cayadutta street.
The Royal Knitting Company, 9 and 11 South Melcher street, succeeded the firm of Potter Brothers in 1891. This
business was established in 1884 by E. L. and J. L. Potter, who began making glove supplies at 23 South William
street. After moving to their present quarters in 1889 they at once began the manufacture of yarn mittens. The
present company was incorporated June 1, 1891, with a capital stock of $5,000 and the following officers: C. M.
Putnam, president; C. H. Merrill, vice president; E. Bradt, secretary, who with E. L. and J. L. Potter, form the
board of directors. On June 15, 1891, the company began making knit gloves and at present they are turning out
about twenty five dozen per day and are furnishing employment to thirty eight hands.
S. Boehnlein conducts a naptha process mill on Maple avenue, about 1/4 of a mile north of the Maylander mill. The
business was established by the Maylanders in September, 1891, who sold it to Mr. Boehnlein in January, 1892. The
process consists principally of taking the grease from skins by chemical preparations.
The Johnstown Metallic Binding Company was incorporated in 1890 with a capital stock of 5,000 and the following
officers: Philip Keck, president; Warren Miller, vice president; C. M. Putnam, secretary and treasurer. They are
engaged in the manufacture of metal binding for oil cloths with patent adjustable corners.
Robert R. Sands, jobber in glove colors, occupies a portion of the second story of the "old red mill,"
corner of Mill and Washington streets. He began business in 1888 in partnership with Louis Argersinger and that
firm continued one year. Mr. Sands employs on an average six men and has a capacity for coloring 10,000 skins per
Connelly & Shubert, Factory street, foot of West Montgomery, operate a beam shop where skins are frized and
scud. They began business in 1885 and turn out 30,000 skins per annum.
Peter Getman has a saw mill and wood yard at the foot of West Clinton avenue. He began business in 1884. The saw
mill is operated by water power and is the property of the McIntyre estate.
Bert Wessel began manufacturing knit wrists for gloves. in January, 1890, and is located at 106 North Market street.
R. Burke & Company, manufacturers of skin mats and rugs, occupy part of the Schriver property on North Perry
street. The firm is composed of R. Burke and John Burke who began business in January 1891. They turn out 500 rags
Burke & Mullins, leather dressers, are located on the Schriver property, North Perry street. They began business
January 1, 1892.
Village of Johnstown Pages, Also see the town of Johnstown
Part 1 - Early General History
Part 2 - Schools, St. John's Episcopal Church and Presbyterian Church of Johnstown
Part 3 - Other Churches
Part 4 - Cemeteries - Historical Society - Utilities - Railroad
Part 5 - Banks, Newspapers, Opera House, Societies.
Part 6 - Glove Manufacturers
Part 7 - Leather Manufacturers - Miscellaneous Manufactures