TOWN OF MAYFIELD.
THIS town occupies a position next west of Northampton, on the northern border
of the county. Its length north and south is nearly thrice as great as its breadth, and the surface embraced within
its borders is of a varied character. The northern portion is much broken by formidable mountains, some of them
having an altitude of nearly 2,000 feet. In the central and southern portion of the town the surface is more rolling,
and the land in some places is exceedingly fertile and therefore well adapted to cultivation. Kennyetto creek enters
the town near the viilage of Vail's Mills and flows in a northerly direction for about two miles, thence returning
to Broadalbin, in the northern part of which it empties into Mayfield creek. Stony creek flows diagonally across
the northeast corner, and Cranberry creek flows south along its eastern border and enters the town of Northampton,
where it forms the Vlaie creek by a confluence with Mayfleld creek. Mayfleld creek flows through the town in a
northeasterly direction, a little south of the centre. The soil is not unlike that found in Northampton and Broadalbin,
containing sand and gravel to a considerable degree, and the culture of wheat has never been profitable, though
it was raised by the early settlers. Large crops of buckwheat, however, are annually produced and the soil yields
an excellent quality of hay. These articles, with potatoes, probably constitute the chief agricultural products.
Limestone and lumber are among the valuable resources of the town, and although the supply of the latter has greatly
diminished in recent years, the business is still carried on to sonic extent in the hilly sections of the north.
The town received its name from the Mayfield patent, which was granted June 27, 1770, in addition to which it embraces
parts of the Bleecker, Kingsboro, Sacandaga, Kayaderosseras, Glen, Daniel Claus and Norman McLeod patents. It is
bounded on the north by Hamilton county, on the east by the towns of Northampton and Broadalbin, on the south by
the town of Perth, and on the west by Johnstown and Bleecker. It contains 39,610 acres, the total assessed value
of which is $416,649. The town of Wells, Hamilton county, was taken off in 1805, and another portion in 1812. A
part was annexed to Perth in 1842.
Mayfield was one of the first three towns created in the present county of Fulton. It was set off from Caughnawaga,
with Johnstown and Broadalbin, March 12, 1793, and was fully organized as a town on the 1st of April. 1794.
Early Settlement. - The first permanent settlement within the present limits of Mayfield was made under Sir William
Johnson, about 1760. This took place on an old road that led from Tribes Hill to the Sacandaga, and the few early
inhabitants called the settlement "Philadelphia Bush," from the fact that some of their number came from
Philadelphia or vicinity. Few of the descendants df those who located there prior to the revolution are now living.
Among them were families of Dunhams, Woodworths, Bishops, Grovers, Romeyns, McNitts, Hosmers, Wellses, Williamsons,
McQueins, Greens, Parsells, Dovernors, Christies, and Dennies. Many of these were from Scotland and came hither
on Sir William's invitation, while a large number emigrated from the New England states. Among those who settled
in the vicinity after the close of the war may be mentioned the names of Courtney, Brown, Anderson, Shaddock, Duboyse,
McKinlay, Seymour, Burr, Newton, Van Buren, Galor, Jackson, Vail, Bemas, McDougal, Knapp, Lefferts, Bartlett and
others. Alexander McKinlay, now living at an advanced age in the village of Mayfield, is a descendant of one of
the early families. Farming was their principal occupation, but necessity required many of them to pursue other
trades and varied employment in order to supply the community with the simplest comforts of life. Clothing was,
of course, one of the most needed articles, and the wives and daughters took active part in its manufacture. In
1800 a Mr. Snyder located on a farm about half way between what is now Mayfleld and Anthonyville. His wife, Eveline,
was a professional weaver, in which art she excelled. It was not long before she had all the work she could attend
to, and credit is given her for supporting in this way a large family.
The oldest deed of land, of which anything can be learned, was given by the commissioners of forfeiture of the
state, to Gershom Woodworth in 1786. It conveys the farm first occupied by Truman Christie, and afterwards owned
by H. H. Woodworth. It was on this farm that the first log house was built, as well as the first orchard planted,
both of which were done by Christie. As this farm was located on one of the old Indian trails it is reasonable
to suppose that it was the first settled land in the town. The first grant or patent of land, lying within the
borders of Mayfield, was a tract of 14,000 acres, granted to Achilles Preston and others, a portion of which is
the farm next north of Philander Gray's, occupied until a few years since by Francis Bishop. It is located about
two miles north of the village of Mayfield. The date of this grant was June 10, 1770, and the survey was made by
Alexander Colden, who was surveyor-general at that time. An the 8th of November, 1806, the Bishop farm was conveyed
by James Reynolds, of Columbia county, N. Y., to Luke Woodworth, of Mayfield. Another early deed is that of Cyrenus
Woodworth and wife to Luke Woodworth of a farm afterwards owned by P. N. Gray, which is also said to be a part
of the 14,000 acre tract.
Solomon Woodworth, an intrepid pioneer, was born in Connecticut about 1730, and came to Mayfield with his brother
Selah, purchasing a tract of land southeast of the village of Mayfield, part of which now constitutes the farms
of Jefferson Brooks and B. B. Vandenburgh. The Indians at that time were very troublesome, amid this was so repulsive
to Selah that he tried to induce his brother to return with him to Connecticut until the war should be over and
the country in a more settled state. This Solomon would not consent to, and proceeded to locate on the Brooks farm,
while but a short distance from his house he built a stockade of logs in which to shield himself from hostile assault.
He was a thorough American, anxious for the freedom of the colonists and bitter in his hatred of the tories. The
increasing hostilities of the British and their savage allies made the home of the few pioneers especially exposed
to danger, and Mr. Woodworth found it necessary during these perilous times to remain inside the stockade at night.
A well known Mayfield writer, referring to this subject in an article written some years ago, says: "Here
in the winter of 1780, Solomon Woodworth was attacked by a party of Indians. He was likely to run short of bullets,
and his faithful wife laid her little child by the fire, and with the spirit that characterized heroines of that
time, ran bullets as fast as her husband could shoot. The result was the retreat of the Indians and tories with
one wounded. Early in the morning Captain Woodworth rallied a few of his band, followed the retreating party for
three days, and at length surprised and killed them all." The same writer continuing says:
"Immediately after this successful expedition Woodworth was appointed lieutenant in a company of nine months'
men. At the expiration of this term, in the year 1781, lie was appointed captain for the purpose of forming a company
of rangers to explore the woods. He at once raised a company of able-bodied soldiers, all well armed and equipped.
From Fort Dayton, now the village of Herkimer, lie started at the head of his little band in a northerly direction
to range the woods and make discoveries. But lie had been out only a few hours when one of his foremost men discovered
an Indian in ambush, amid fired upon him. They instantly found themselves surrounded by a band of redskins, outnumbering
them two to one. A short, but bloody and decisive conflict ensued. Captain Woodworth was killed, and out of the
forty-one men only fifteen escaped; all the rest were either killed or taken prisoners." Mr. Dunham, who then
lived on the farm now owned by Charles Wilkins, was one of Woodworth's party who escaped from that scene of peril.
He survived the horrors of war, living many years in the enjoyment of dear bought peace, and was always ready to
tell of "the times that tried men's souls."
It is said that wheat was first raised on a farm midway between Shawville and Mayfield village, now occupied by
Thomas Embling, who conducts a brick store there. Forty acres of this farm is owned by John Becker. The old homestead
upon it was built more than 100 years ago by Abram Wells, grandfather of Mrs. John Becker. The house, which is
still standing, has undergone some repairs, and is one of the oldest frame buildings in the town. It was occupied
for many years by Francis Wells,who died in July, 1889.
The first brick building erected in Mayfield is the one in which Alexander McKinlay lived for many years. It was
built in 1805 by his father, John McKinlay, and in now occupied by Andrew Young, being still in a fair state of
The site of the first grist or flour mill in the town is that now occupied by the grist and saw-mill of Edward
A. Elphie on Mayfield creek at Shawville. It was erected under the direction of Sir William Johnson in 1773, but
was burned during the revolution. The mill was confiscated with other tory property, and at the close of the war
was sold to a son of Rev. Mr. Romeyn, who rebuilt it and carried on business there for a number of years. It was
known at that time as Romeyn's Mills, and the creek upon which it was located was called Romeyn creek, but in 1795
the property came into the possession of a man named Bogert, who conducted it for a few years and then sold to
William A. Wells. He operated it for a time and then sold it to Robert Zule. The mill passed from his hands into
the possession of Horace Stanley, during whose ownership it was rebuilt. About forty-five years ago it was purchased
by Sidney Chase, and from him the property came into the possession of Mr. Elphie, its present owner. The mill
has an excellent water power and is fully equipped with modern machinery.
The claim has been made that each of three saw-mills in Mayfield was the first to be erected. One of these is the
above described mill now owned by Mr. Elphie,at Shawville, another was located at Vail's Mills, in the southeast
part of the town, and the third occupied the site of a mill at Woodworth's Corners, which has recently been torn
down. In all probability the first named mill was the earliest.
The first fulling-mill in this town was erected in or about the year 1795, by Oliver Rice, on his property at Riceville.
He carried on the business there until about 1835, when the mill was discontinued, amid no similar effort has since
been renewed in the town. Mr. Rice was an old and respected Mason and one of the foreniost men in the community.
Harvey Rice, son of Lucius Rice (the latter for many years a justice of the peace of Mayfield), is a grandchild
of Oliver Rice and still lives on the old homestead at Riceville. An iron foundry was also built at Riceville,
in 1815, by Josiah Wood, who erected and operated a grist and saw-mill at the same time. In spite of undaunted
enterprise, Mr. Wood's business undertakings were overwhelmed by the financial troubles that followed the unfortunate
litigations between Clark and Clancey, who owned a great share of the property at Riceville. It is claimed that
the village would have grown to be a place of much business importance had these troubles never occurred.
There was a skin-mill at Riceville. contemporary with the foundry amid grist-mill, but it was also abandoned and
soon went to decay. In 1866 (or the year following) Moses Kinney built a skin mill, on the site of Rice's fulling-mill.
This mill is now owned by Wilkins & Close, glove manufacturers, of Mayfield village. A year or two later George
C. Allen built a skin mill there, south of the highway, on the site of the first skin-mill erected in the place.
This mill is still owned by Mr. Allen.
Flavel Bartlett was the father of the tanning industry in Mayfield. He conducted a small tannery on the lot now
occupied by the residence of Charles Wilkins. Mrs. Elizabeth Bartlett occupied this house for many years prior
to her death, which occurred about a year since. The old tannery which stood there was built about 1795 and was
operated until 1825. There was another tannery at Jackson Summit, and still another at Vail's Mills, both of which
have been destroyed by fire within the past ten years. A tannery was built at Woodworth's Corners in 1859 by Josiah
M. Danforth, who limited his operations to the tanning of upper leather. He afterward sold the property to William
Wallace, who operated it a few years and then sold it to Kasson & Johnson. In a year or two more it came into
the possession of Kent & Stevens, of Gloversville, and later, Kent & Company. It has not been in use, however,
in many years.
The first store in Mayfield was opened about the year 1800, by William McConnell, at Wilkins' Corners, a settlement
two miles southwest of Mayfield village. It was opposite the house now occupied by John J. Wilkins. It is said
that McConnell had in his store quite an extensive assortment of goods for those early times, not the least among
which was the whiskey barrel. He continued to do business there until about 1830. Prior to 1800 the early inhabitants
weme obliged to travel on foot or horseback over the Indian trails to Johnstown for nearly all articles of merchandise.
There were mio taverns in the town for the accommodation of strangers prior to 1808. In that year the town meeting
was held at the inn of William Van Buren, from which it may be inferred that lie had accommodations for travelers.
There are at present two hotels in the town, one at Mayfleld and the ether at Riceville.
John McKinlay, who came from Scotland in 1783, was probably the first blacksmith
in the town. He was followed a few years later by William Williams, who conducted a shop at Wilkins' Corners. About
1801, Edward Kinnicutt came to Mayfield from Pittstown, N. Y., and opened a blacksmith shop about half a mile north
of the village. Smith & Billingham were partners in the blacksmith trade during the early part of the century,
and such was the well proportioned stature of Billingham, that he was christened the " Old Vulcan," a
name that clung to him throughout life.
Lazarus Tucker, who came from Connecticut about 1790, was the first physician to settle permanently in Mayfield.
He located on the site of John Laird's present residence in the village. He is remembered as being one of the old
school, but was ahways a welcome visitor in the sick room. Among his successors have been Drs. Johnston, Vanderpool
and Drake; the former has moved away from the town, and the two latter are dead. Eugene H. Coons, M. D., is now
a successful practitioner in Mayfield village.
About 1825 Clark & Clancey built the first and only distillery in the town of Mayfield It was located at Riceville
and for a number of years this firm did a large business, as wheat and rye were then raised to a considerable extent,
the vast wheat belt of the western states being still a wilderness. Later on when Clark & Clancey became involved
in litigation, followed by financial disaster, the distillery, which up to that time did a prosperous business,
was neglected and in a few years succumbed to the ravages of time and storm.
The village of Mayfield is situated near the centre of the town, about half a
mile north of the little hamlet called Shawville, which contains the railway station of the Fonda, Johnstown and
Gloversville railroad. Selah Woodworth was the first owner of land upon which the village was subsequently built.
He came from Connecticut with his brother Solomon two or three years prior to the revolution. Mr. Simms is authority
for the statement that he purchased of Sir William Johnson too acres of land at Mayfield, while his brother bought
and located upon an equal tract, a large portion of which is now known as Munsonville. Jonathan Canfield, Captain
Flock and a man named Cadman are said to have settled in the immediate vicinity at an early day. Selah Woodworth
returned to his home in Salisbury, Conn., until the danger of a border warfare was past, when he came again to
Mayfield and settled on a farm on the west side of the village, now owned by Wilkins & Close and occupied by
Charles Wilkins. It was formerly known as the
Servis farm." Soon after 1800 Collins Odell started a store in what is now the village, and in 1819 a post
route was established and he was appointed postmaster. For the first two years he carried the mails on horseback
between Mayfield and Broadalbin for the stipulated sum of fifty cents a trip, making the trip twice a week. Shortly
afterwards a post-office was established at Cranberry Creek, and Samuel A. Gilbert appointed postmaster. The route
was then changed from Broadalbin to Fish House, Cranberry Creek, Mayfield village, and thence again to Broadalbin.
Before any of these routes were established, the headquarters for the mail was at the store of William McConnell,
and the inhabitants were wont to take their turn in going to Johnstown after it. When a lad reached the age of
twelve years he was considered old enough to make this journey, and H. H. Woodworth accomplished it at that age,
going in place of his father. The distance was about nine miles and the trail led through a forest most of the
way. Later on a post-office was established at Riceville, where it remained only a short time, being transferred
thence to Mayfield Corners. Collins Odell held the office of postmaster for many years, relinquishing it to David
Getman about the middle of the present century. Mr. Getman had the office for seven or eight years, and was succeeded
in 1860 by Alonzo J. Banks, who kept it until 1862. In that year A. B. Close, now of the firm of Close & Christie,
received the appointment, which he held until the beginning of the Cleveland administration in 1885, when William
N. Wilkins was made postmaster. He retained the office four years and was succeeded by the present incumbent, Baltie
H. Dixon, who took charge on the 1st of July, 1889.
The village has had a slow but substantial growth and at present shows signs of permanent prosperity. The manufacture
of grained leather, fleshers, and Saranac gloves has become its chief industry and several firms are extensively
engaged in the business. This supplies the inhabitants with steady employment and adds much to their thrift and
progress. The following firms are engaged in the manufacture of gloves at present: Wilkins & Close, Close &
Christie, Wood & Wilkins (formerly Wood & Kelly), Christie Brothers, B. D. Brown, J. C. Titcomb, Dixon
& Wilkins, and Vandenburgh & Bartholf. There are four general stores, conducted by the following merchants:
John C. Titcomb, Elkhie & Mercer, Wilkins & Close and Close & Christie. W. W. Dixon has a grocery store
but sells ready made clothing; William Jerome conducts a drug store and C. W. Tucker deals in flour and feed. Mayfield
village was the site of William Van Buren's old tavern, which occupied the site of B. D. Brown's glove shop and
residence. There were few schools in any part of Mayfield prior to 1794, and only three are mentioned in the town
records of that date. One of these was on a farm afterwards occupied by Mrs. Patterson, near the centre of the
town. Another was farther to the south, and the third was situated near the little hamlet now known as Woodworth's
Corners and was taught by Allen Fraser about the year 1798. Among the pupils who attended this last named school
were Sarah Woodworth, Eliza Romyne, John Romyne and Rosanah Woodworth. Both the town and village are now amply
supplied with district schools, conducted on a well defined systern.
Before taking up the history of the two churches now located in the village it will be proper to briefly review
the origin and character of those religious organizations that have had an existence in the town but are now extinct.
A Baptist church was organized about three miles south of the village in 1792, and was known as "The Mayfield
and Broadalbin Baptist Church." The house of worship was constructed of logs, and it was in this building
that the first town meeting of May-. field was held. Among the twenty original members were Jacob Parcells, Solomon
Knapp, Sr., Allen Kennicutt, and Jacob Woodworth. The exact location of the church is said to have been half a
mile west of what is known as the "Nine-Mile Tree," that is, nine miles from Johnson Hall, on the road
used by Sir William to reach Summer-House Point. Hezekiah Gorton was the first pastor. He was followed by Rev.
Mr. Nichols, and he in turn by Elder William Groom, who retained the pastoral relation with the congregation for
seventeen years. During Mr. Groom's pastorate the little log church was abandoned and the society built a much
better house of worship in the village of Broadal bin.
Among the extinct churches of Mayfield may be mentioned the Ouaker church, or Friends' meeting-house, which stood
about half a mile west of the village, and of which Welcome Capron, Orion Capron, Daniel Mead, Levi, Hardy and
Martin Seymour, Abram Cole, Benjamin Anthony and Jonathan Brown were original members About 1840 the lot on which
the meeting-house was located came into the possession of John Servis, who purchased it from Orion Capron. This
transaction terminated public meetings of this society in Mayfield, and the building was afterwards used for other
A Christian church was organized at Jackson Summit about the year 1868, under the leadership of Elders Evans and
Brown. Among the original members of this society were Daniel Templeton, Josiah and John Dunning, David D. Bishop,
Philip Kring, and others. Dissensions afterwards arose among the congregation, which subsequently caused it to
A religious society was also organized at Jackson Summit in 1855, by the Germans. It was known as the German M.
E. Evangelical Association, and among its early members were Jacob Lairch, sr. Jacob Lairch, jr., Barney Lairch,
John Yost, John Behlen, John Brunce, and Jacob Rivers.
One of the earliest churches in Mayfield was known as the Low Dutch Reformed church, and was organized in 1793,
with Conradt Ten Eyck, (also spelled in early records Coanrod Ten Eick) as pastor. It numbered among its early
members Resolvent Van Houten and wife, Abraham Romeyn, Abraham Wells, Lucas Brinkerhoff, Peter Snyder, David Becker,
Elizabeth Turnuer, and Mary Van Buren. In a short time after organization they built a church on the highest ground
within the old burying-ground south of Mayfield village. It is said the building was never painted, or even finished
inside, the benches being rude in construction, and the pulpit one of the old.fashioned elevated ones, with steps
leading up to it, and a sounding board overhead. Among the preachers in this ancient church were Revs. Ten Eyck,
Ammerman, Palmer, and Wood. Ammerman and Palmer were both working in this community at about the same time, and
through some unkncwn cause a difference of opinion arose between them which resulted in the withdrawal of Mr. Palmer
from the mother church about iSi6, or possibly later, and with him a number of his followers. They erected another
house of worship at the four corners west of Munsonville, and named their society the "Dutch Reformed Church
of Mayfield." In size their new church was about 30 X 45 feet, and being plastered and painted, was an improvement
on the edifice they had left. The members of this church were familiarly known as "Palmerites," a name
derived from their leader, Rev. Sylvanus Palmer. The society did not prosper, however, arid the building was abandoned
in the course of a few years. Later on it was removed to Authonyville and converted to other uses.
The Low Dutch church in the burying-ground continued to flourish, however, and Mr. Ammerman remained with his little
flock, which began to increase in number. In 1825 he had reached an advanced age, and as his feeble health rendered
another pastor necessary, Jeremiah Wood, then a young man and a graduate of Princeton, was appointed missionary
to Mr. Ammerman's church. Mr. Wood was a native of Greenfield, Saratoga county, and came to the Mayfield Society
September 26, 1826. On the following day the church was reorganized under the name of the Central Presbyterian
church of Mayfield, by which name it is still known. The installation of Mr. Wood took place at once under the
authority of the Albany Presbytery, the following preachers being present on the occasion Revs. Elisha Yale, of
Kingsboro; John K. Davis, of Broadalbin; John Clancey, of Charlton, and Gilbert Morgan, of Johnstown. Barent Van
Buren and Barent Wells were chosen as elders, and Harmon T. Van Buren as deacon. During the next three years the
society worshiped in the primitive church in the graveyard, but in 1828 they built a better edifice in the village,
which, having been repaired and remodeled at various times, is the one used by the society at the present time.
Rev. Mr. Wood remained with the church, doing zealous Christian work for half a century, only relinquishing his
charge when death called him away. He died June 6, 1876. The pastors since then have remained from six months to
two years each, and are named as nearly as possible in the order of their coming: Revs. Benjamin Barthoif, Charles
Dye, Francis Dyer, Joseph Thyne, of Johnstown; Rev. Mr. Rule, John Colson, W. J. Thompson, and the present pastor,
Isaac 0. Best, who came April 1, 1891 Mr. Best also officiates at the Presbyterian church in Broadalbin The Sunday-school
of this church was organized in 1826, with Mr. Wood as superintendent, and a membership of thirty or forty scholars.
Benjamin F. Dennie and James H. Foote have both officiated in the capacity of superintendent. The present incumbent
of that position is James E. Wood. The school now has eighty scholars. The trustees of the church are William Dixon,
William Becker, John Laird, Edward Christie, and James E. Wood. The elders are H. H. Woodworth, Amos Christie,
Charles Bevis, and Samuel Vandenburgh.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Mayfield. - ln the beginning of the present century, that part of Mayfield known
as the " Corners," or Mayfield village, was almost an unbroken wilderness, and the log cabins of the
pioneer settlers were few and far between; as for stores, taverns, school-houses and churches, there were none
earlier than 1793, and no tavern until 1805. The old fashioned itinerant preacher, however, penetrated the forest
and pitched his tent in or near Ezekiel Canfield's barn, on the farm now owned by Benjamin Ferguson, half a mile
northeast from what is now Mayfield Corners. There is little doubt in the minds of the oldest inhabitants of Mayfield,
that Methodism in the town had its origin in Canfield's barn, and probably between 1785 and 1790. A clergyman by
the name of Willis was there looking after the little band of Methodists in the last named year. It is not definitely
known when the first steps towards building a house of worship were taken, but preaching was kept up at stated
intervals in log cabins, barns and sheds, which were used in winter and groves during, the summer, until about
the year 1818 or 1820, when Parris G. Clark built what was for many years after known as " Titcomb's Row,"
immediately west of the hotel, in the upper part of which was a ball- room eighty feet in length and extending
the whole length of the building. It was in this ballroom that the Methodists worshiped on Mr. Clark's invitation
until their church was built. There may be a few living in Mayfield who can still remember the old ball- room and
the spot whee they once gathered to worship God. The building stood until the autumn of 1886 when a disastrous
fire destroyed it together with the old hotel, the store and several other adjecent buildings. The site of the
ball-room is now occupied by the Titcomb block in which the post-office is located. Steps were taken towards bui]ding
a meeting-house as early as 1823. On January 28, of that year, Selah Wood worth and his wife, Rebekah, gave to
the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal church of Mayfield and their successors in office, a warranty deed of the
lot now occupied by the meeting-house and sheds. These trustees were Parris G. Clark, William McConnell, Samuel
Woodworth, John Cozzens and Jacob Woodworth. The deed was sealed and delivered in the presence of Luke Woodworth
and Noah Cleveland, but strange as it may appear the indenture was not recorded until June 2, 1882. Linus Mathews
had charge of the erection of the church, being at that time considered the best carpenter in the community. When
completed the church presented a far different appearance from its present convenient arrangement. The pulpit was
at the east end of the auditorium between the two doors that occupied the place now held by the two front windows.
It was of the old box pattern, several steps higher than the floor, and when the preacher was sitting in the pulpit,
the greater part of the con gregation was hidden from his view. There was a closed gallery across the west end
of the room, where the pulpit now stands. This gallery was partitioned into two apartments which were used as class
rooms and also for business meetings. The seats of course faced east, oi- to the front of the house and were of
ancient pattern, without paint or varnish. In the old gallery class room of years gone by were seen on each Thursday
evening, in all kinds of weather, such well remembered men as Elijah Porter, Samuel Woodworth, Edward Kennicutt,
Jabez Foote, John Cozzens, sr., Valentine Brown, Isaac Osborn, Ezekiel Canfleld, Cornelius Van Dyke, and his brother,
John Van Dyke, William Tooker, Jonathan Canfield, Daniel Harris, John Halstead, Cornelius Cole, Harley Bartlett,
John Cozzens, jr., William Cozzens, Jacob Woodworth, Samuel Brown, Elisha Stone, Caleb Canfleld, Clement Canfleld,
William Ferguson, Hezekiah Tyrrell, Alexander McAllister, Gilbert W. Hayes, John Hageman, Peter Van Buskirk, James
Woodworth, Stephen J. Hogeboom, Moses Kinney, Daniel Ferguson, Jacob Dennie, James H. Roberts, David N. Barker,
M. D., Beriah Waite and many others who held prominence in the history of the church both at earlier and later
The meeting - house was first occupied late in the summer of 1823, although it was not then wholly completed. The
dedication service was conducted by Rev. Eben Smith, presiding elder of the Montgomery district, assisted by Rev.
Sherman Miner, senior preacher in charge of the circuit. The sheds adjoining the church were built in 1838 and
a portion of the south end was destroyed by fire in 1866. A shed runfling from the northwest corner of the church
lot to the bui]ding was also built in 1838, but was removed in 1873 to make room for the present class-room. The
church was thoroughly remodeled, repaired, enlarged and supplied with a new roof in 1851. The whole work was finished
in the autumn and the church was rededicated by Revs. Caleb C. Bedell, Araunah Lyon and Peter Harrower. Again in
1867 it was thoroughly renovated, painted, recarpeted and materially improved at a cost of about $400. The parlors
adjoining the church on the west were added in 1874, the total cost being about $890.57. The pulpit was remodeled
in 1877, the carpenter work being done gratuitously by Albert A. Wells and the painting by William A. Richardson.
Some external improvements were also made in 1883.
In 1866 Mayfleld dissolved its circuit relations with Broadalbin and thus became the head of a circuit embracing
Mayfield and its surrounding hamlets, such as Jackson Summit, Crosby's Corners, Munsonville, Mayfleld Centre, Riceville,
Pleasant Square and West Bush, with Rev. Henry W. Munsee as preacher in charge.
The first funeral set-vice held in the church was that of Selah Woodworth, who was born August 11, 1750, and died
October 25, 1823, only about nine months after he had given the lot on which the edifice was built.
The early circuit preachers at this church, dating from 1785 were Joseph Willis, Mr. Keff, Mr. Woolsey, Abner Chase,
Ezekiel Canfleld, Samuel Draper, Daniel Ostrander, Samuel Howe, John Finnegan and Andrew McKean. Among other preachers
who were on this circuit may be mentioned Samuel Howe, John Clark and Bradley Sellick in 1821; John Moriarty and
John W. Denniston in 1827; Cyrus Meeker and A. C. Mills in 1832; Charles Sherman and Roswell Kelly in 1838; Ephraim
Goss and Alpheus Wade in 1846. The regular pastors stationed at this church since 1854 have been as follows: 1854,
John Parker; 1855-56, Robert Patterson; 185 7-58, Hannibal H. Smith, sr. 1859, Reuben Westcott; 1860-61, J. G.
Phillips; 1862, James G. Perkins; 1863, J. G. Perkins and W. H. Smith; 1864, Jacob Leonard; 1865, A. C. Reynolds;
1866-68, Henry M. Munsee; 1869, Hannibal H. Smith; 1870, Julius H. Stewart; 1871, John Hamlin Coleman; 1872, Edwin
Potter; 1873-74, Robert Washburn; 1875-76, Amos Osborn; 1877, Frank R. Sherwood; 1878-79, Joel Hall; 1880-82, Henry
Munsee; 1883-84, John P. Crane; 1885-86, Charles A. Beaudry; 1887-89, Charles B. Lewis; 1890, James S. Clark; vacancy
caused by death of Mr. Clark filled by H. M. Munsee until April, 1891, when the present pastor, Rev. Lyman D. Cook,
of New Hampshire, joined the Troy conference, and was assigned to Mayfleld. He was returned to his charge for the
second year by the annual conference held in Plattsburgh in 1892.
The Sunday-school of this church was organized by Harley Bartlett and Jacob Woodworth in 1830. It now has 100 scholars
and George C. Hartin is superintendent.
The trustees of the church are James H. Roberts, Baltie H. Dixon, William Thompson, William Brownell, Charles Slade;
stewards, James H. Roberts, Edward Thompson, George C. Hartin, John L. Bradt, William A. Anthony, Jesse Kerchin,
Mrs. Jennie Coons, Mrs. Jennie Christie.
Mayfield was the home of old Constellation Lodge, No 103, F. & A. M., organized March 7, 1804. The first officers
were Oliver Rice, W. M.; Ripley Merrill, J. W.; Rufus Mason, treasurer; Horace Burr, secretary; David Adams, J.
D.; Thomas Chase, tyler; John Anderson and Jonathan Fisk, stewards. The lodge worked until 1835, after which no
meetings were held. The records of this body are now in the possession of the Gloversville lodge.
The Union Rural Cemetery, located south of the village of Mayfield, was organized under the laws of the state of
New York for 1847. The association did not become fully organized, however, until 1872, when the first officers
were chosen. October 15, 1872, Rev. Jeremiah Wood was chosen president; James Dennie, vice-president; John C. Titcomb,
treasurer; William H. Shaw, secretary; Alonzo J. Banks, William Jackson, Jeremiah Wood, James Dennie, John C. Titcomb
and William H. Shaw, trustees. The present officers are: President, William W. Dixon; vice-president, Edward Christie;
treasurer, J. C. Titcomb; secretary, J. Edward Wood; the trustees include the above with Samuel Mercer.
Riceville is a small village situated on Mayfield creek, about one and a half miles southwest of the Corners. At
one time it was the scene of much activity and between the years 1785 and 1830 it contained two taverns, four stores,
a grist-mill, a saw-mill, foundry, distillery, fulling-mill, skin-mill and a well filled school-house. At that
time the greater share of property there belonged to Clark & Clancey, who subsequently quarreled and carried
their controversy into the courts to such an extent as to completely check the growth of the place, and the mills
and taverns which once did a prosperous business soon went to decay. The village now contains two skin-mills, a
grocery store, of which George Lee is the proprietor, a school-house and twenty or twenty five dwellings.
Vail's Mills, formerly called "Lower Bush," is located on Kennyetto creek, in the southeast part of Mayfleld.
Daniel Lefferts was the first to settle in the immediate neighborhood, coming thither between 1790 and 1795. He
also erected the first saw-mill in that part of the town. William Vail came from Connecticut in 1804 and purchased
the property lately owned by Isaac George, as well as that now owned by his grandson. The village contains a school
house, a store, of which Edward Vosburgh is proprietor and also postmaster, a grist mill, a sawmill and several
Closeville is a hamlet in the southeastern part of the town. The place was originally called Wood's Hollow by the
inhabitants. It was settled about 1795 by a man named Harmon. who built and operated a grist-mill there. It also
contained at one time two large paper-mills, but the business of the place has greatly diminished.
Anthonyville is the name of a small cluster of houses about two miles southwest of Mayfleld. The locality was settled
between 1812 and 1815 by Lebbeus Barton, who came thither from Connecticut and built a carding-mill (the first
in the town). and in 1816 or 1817 a brick house, which was the second one in the town. He also built a saw mill
in 1820 at the same place. Soon afterward a blacksmith shop was built there, and in a few years was fitted as an
iron works and a trip hammer placed in operation. John M. Anthony purchased the property about 1833 and did a large
business as an iron worker. Orrin A. Anthony now carries on the business, and is prepared to make axes and edge
tools, together with other useful implements.
Munsonville is a small hamlet located about two miles southeast of Mayfield village on the Sacandaga road, and
was settled by Solomon Woodworth prior to the revolution. Other pioneers in this locality were families of Snyders,
McLarens and Goodmasters. Much of the real property of the place afterwards passed into the possession of Vandenburgh,
Leversee and others, and is mostly owned at present by Mr. Vandenburgh and the wife of the late E. B. Munson. The
post-office (and store) at this place is kept by Warren Perrigo.
Woodworth's Corners, a cluster of dwellings situated between Mayfield village and Riceville, was settled about
1790. The place takes its name from the Woodworth family, the laud now occupied by it having been conveyed by deed
from selah Woodworth to W. D. Woodworth.
Jackson Summit is another village, located three miles north of Mayfield, which has been the scene of considerable
business in its time, but at present only contains a few dwellings. A post- office was established there July 17,
1861, and W. H. Shaw appointed postmaster, the mail to be carried between that place and Mayfield twice a week
without compensation, but in 1865 the office was closed.
Shawville is located on Mayfield creek, about one-half mile south of the Corners. It contains a grist-mill, built
on the site of the one erected by Sir William Johnson in 1773, and also the railway station of the Fonda, Johnstown
and Gloversville Railroad. It also has a blacksmith and wagon shop, and a harness and saddlery store, of which
G. W. Haines is proprietor.
The first town meeting was held at the log meeting-house about ihree miles south of Mayfleld village, on Tuesday,
April 1, 1794, and the following officers elected: Supervisor, Selah Woodworth; assessors, John Grover, Robert
Jackson, and Joseph Newton; collector, Caleb Woodworth; constables, Caleb Woodworth and Adam Backer.
The town records from that time until 1826 have either been lost or destroyed, and it is only possible to give
a list of the supervisors and town clerks from 1826 until the present time.
The supervisors have been as follows: Parris G. Clark, 1826; James Canary, 1827-30; Darius Clark, 1831; Joseph
A. Major, 1832; Collins Odeil, 1833-34; Elisha Bentley, jr., 1835; Thomas Sammons, 1836-37; Peter Carmichael, 1838;
Francis Wells, 1839; Stephen Wait, 1840; Francis B. Van Buren, 1841; John Cozzens, jr., 1842-43;Warren Smith, 1844;
James Berry, 1845; Bradford T. Simmons, 1846-47; Elisha Bentley, 1848-49; Sylvester D. Alvord, 1850-51; Miles Brown,
1852; Alexander McKinley, 1853-54; William G. Wait, 1855-57; Alexander McKinlay, 1858-59; William Vail, 1860-61;
John Green, 1862-64; William Vail, 1865-66; George W. Lee, 1867; Niel Stewart, 1868; Edward Christie, 1869; Niel
Stewart, 1870-71; James E. Wood, 1872; William H. Shaw, 1874-75; David Kennedy, 1876-77; James H. Brown, 1878;
William Van Ostrand, 1879; William H. McFarlan, 1881; James H. Knapp, 1882-83; Alexander Kennedy, 1884-85; Philander
Gray, 1886-87; Alexander Kennedy, 1888; William N. Willkins, 1889; B. D. Brown, 1890-91.
Town Clerks. - Williain McConnell, 1826-30; Collins Odell, 1831-32; David Clancy, 1833; Francis Wells, 1834-38;
Peter Vosburgh, 1839; Ahasuerus G. Marselis, 1840; William Easterly, 1841-44; Francis Banta, 1845; Collins Odell,
1846; Ahasuerus G. Marselis 1847-48; James H. Kennicott, 1849; Francis Wells, 1850; Chauncey H. Rice, 1851; Abram
H. Wells, 1852-54; Isaac T. Close, 1855; David N. Barker, 1856; Hiram Berry, 1857-58; Stephen Dennie, 1859-60;
Jacob L Haines, 1861;; James E. Wood, 1862-66; N. E. Close, 1867; John Laird, 1868; Charles E. Potter, 1869 : Collins
Odell, 1870; James E. Wood, 1871; Collins Odell, 1872; J. C. Titcomb, 1874; Isaac Brown, jr., 1875-77; Lochiel
Johnston, 1878-79; A. H. Hale, 1880-81; Byron D. Brown, 1882-85; George T. Close, 1886-87; George E. Wilkins, 1888-89;
G. E. Mercer, 1890-91.
The first justice of the peace in the town was Samuel A. Gilbert, elected in 1830.
The present officers are as follows: Supervisor, Byron D. Brown; town clerk, George E. Mercer; justices of the
peace, F. W. Brown, Harvey Hall, S. A. Brown, Archibald McFarlan; assessors, Ellery D. Knapp, Josiah M. Danforth
and William Griffis.