The Northville Knitting Mill, located at the corner of Division and Second streets, was built by Eli Van Brocklin
and opened in September, 1891. The factory buildings are commodious and fully equipped with the most modern appliances
known to the knit goods trade. The main structure is a frame building, 94 by 145 feet in area, and three stories
high. A boiler and coal house, 22 by 65 feet, adjoins it on the north, two stories in height. The establishment
furnishes employment to 115 workers at present, but when operated at its full capacity about 100 more will be employed.
The products of the mill include ladies', gentlemen's and children's fine underwear, and specialties are made of
overshirts, athletic goods, children's goods and seamless sides. The value of the average daily output of the mill
is about $1,200.
The Globe Metallic Binding Company is an outgrowth of a business established by Ray Hubbell in 1880. In the fall
of 1879 Mr. Hubbell conceived the idea of a metallic corner for oil cloths. He was then on board a Hudson river
boat, returning home from a trip to New York. As he lay in his berth coveting sleep, he thought he saw before him
the outline of a successful invention. When he reached Albany he purchased a small piece of brass and brought it
home to Northville. From this he made a rude "corner," and shortly afterwards established his industry
in a blacksmith shop on Bridge street, at first occupying two rooms, but later on the business so increased that
he required the use of the entire building. In the fall of 1881 he erected a factory on the ground on which his
present establishment stands, introducing improvements from time to time as new and valuable features were invented.
This factory was destroyed by fire February 7, 189o. The present building was erected during the two months following
the date of the fire and business resumed as soon as it was finished. The Globe Metallic Binding company was incorporated
in 1890 with a capital of $30,000 and with the following officers: Ray Hubbell, president, treasurer and general
manager; O. G. Tuttle, vice president; J. A. Cole, secretary; directors, Ray Hubbell, J. A. Cole, E. E. Johnson,
M. J. Wilson and O. G. Tuttle. The company operates in all four mills, two located at Northville and two at Painesville,
Ohio. In addition to the mill at the corner of Bridge and Second streets, there is another at the corner of Washington
and First streets, managed by Mr. Cole, the secretary. The total output of the four factories amounts to 3,000,000
yards annually, about half of which is produced at Northville, where fifteen workers are employed.
Willard & Partridge, dealers in all kinds of rough and dressed lumber, sash, blinds and doors, operate an excelsior
factory near the depot. They succeeded to the business of W. S. Minor, January I, 1892. There are six machines
in use and the capacity of the factory averages one ton of excelsior per day. The firm also operate a saw mill
about one third of a mile north of the village, on Hunter's creek. John Willard, the senior member of the firm,
also conducts a grist mill at the same place.
The cooper's trade has been an extensive one in Northville, although it is small at present, when compared with
its condition twenty years ago. Gilbert Rose was one of the early coopers, engaging in the business about the middle
of the century and carrying it on for fifteen years or more. Samuel Benton came to Northville and began making
barrels in 1852. During the war he employed from six to eight men. He still conducts a cooper shop on South Main
street. Another cooper still in business is Oscar Burgess, who began manufacturing on his own account about 1867.
Several others engaged in the business shortly after the war, among them W. F. Barker, but of late years it has
diminished to such an extent that the number of barrels now made is not one tenth the output when the industry
was at its height in 1870.
The Methodist Episcopal Church. - Methodist preachers traveled through the territory now included within
the northern part of Fulton county when the country was newly settled, probably prior to 1800. A society of this
denomination was first organized as a class in 1800, with about twenty members. They held divine worship in the
old schoolhouse, at private residences, and not infrequently in barns; but in 1805 a meeting house was erected
and used as a union church by both Methodists and Baptists. About the year 1812 the Methodists returned to the
old school house again, where services were held until 1822. In 1821 the society was greatly strengthened by a
series of revivals which prevailed in the community, and the following year they built a church on the site of
the present edifice, 50 x 34 feet in area, and costing $600. It was dedicated December 14, 1822, Daniel Ostrander
officiating. In this building the society continued to worship for half a century. In 1849 the church underwent
extensive repairs inside, and a bell was purchased and placed in the belfry. In 1871 the old wooden structure was
removed to a lot just west of its original site, and it is now used as a dwelling house for several families. Work
was then begun on a new brick church, which is one of the finest buildings of its kind in that part of the country.
Its construction was largely under the supervision of Rev. Cabot M. Clark, who was known as "a church builder,"
and officiated as clergyman for this society from 187o until 1874. The church was finished at a cost of $22,000,
and was dedicated December 31, 1872, the services being in charge of Bishop J. T. Peck, assisted by Dr. B. I. Ives.
Among the early ministers who officiated at the meetings of this society were E. Woolsey, presiding elder; Smith
Arnold and Jesse Davis, preachers, in 1804; Samuel Howe and John Cline, in 1809; Peter Moriarty, in 1811; Henry
Stead, Tobias Spicer, and Moses Amidon, in 1814; Samuel Howe, John Clark, and Bradley Sellick, in 1821; John D.
Moriarty, and John W. Denniston, in 1827; Ephraim Goss and William F. Hurd, in 1831; James H. Taylor and Henry
Williams, in 1837; D. Starks, Charles Pomeroy and A. J. Lyon, in 1850; Sanford Washburn and Levi Warner, in 1854;
and Robert Patterson, in 1859. Since 1860 the regular pastors have been as follows: Orrin Gregg, 1860-61; John
Pegg, 1862-63; Reuben Washburn, 1864-65; James G. Perkins, 1866-67; Manly Witherell, 1868-69; C. M. Clark, 1870-71-72-73;
William H. L. Starks, 1874-75-76; George C. Thomas, 1877-78; Andrew McGilton, 1879-80; W. W. Foster, 1881-82; H.
S. Rowe, 1883-84; C. F. Wilcox, 1885-86-87; M. B. Mead, 1888; J. C. Russum, 1889 to the present date.
The present trustees of the church are William Gilman, James B. Wilson, George N. Brown, Joseph F. Spier, A. P.
Resseguie, George E. Van Arnam. The Sunday school was organized early in the church's history and has always been
well attended and prosperous. Among those who early served as superintendents were Joseph Foot, J. W. Slocum, Joseph
Spier and in later years, W. F. Barker. The present superintendent is Harmon F. Fisher.
The Northville Baptist Church. - In. July 1802, twelve men and four women met in one of the houses that
overlooked the plain on which the village of Northville now stands, and formed themselves into a body called "A
Brotherly Conference." During the two years of the conference three attempts were made to secure the fellowship
of the denomination by calling a council of brethren from other churches, the last effort only being successful.
At the first meeting of the council, which was held February 25, 1803, Aaron Seamans was ordained to the work of
the gospel and the new organization was named "The Northampton Baptist Church and Society." Aaron Seamans
at once took charge of the society as its pastor. In May, 1805, it was decided to build a house of worship, and
the lot upon which it was built was the gift of Abram Van Arnam. It is the same land upon which the present Baptist
church now stands. The church was dedicated in 1806 and used for several years as a union meeting house by both
Baptists and Methodists. For a number of years it was occupied while in an unfinished condition. There was only
one entrance, a door in the side toward the road, the windows being without glass or even sash, and were simply
protected by a few boards. The swallows often flew in through the apertures during service and in the winter the
cold, frosty air found its way among the worshipers without a fire to mitigate its sting. During i809-10 and 1811
Bartlett Dake, a licentiate, assisted Pastor Seamans in his work and preached a part of the time regularly, being
paid for his services. Elder Seamans administered the ordinances and took an active part in all the affairs of
the church, receiving also some compensation. Waite Palmer and Ebenezer Fuller were elected deacons about the time
of organization and later on Ira Brundage and William Davis were elected to the same office. June 13, 1812, Ezra
Lyon and Timothy Gifford were ordained as deacons and a general meeting was held, lasting two days, to which ministers
and also brethren from other churches were invited. John Chalmers and Nathaniel Mead were elected deacons in November,
1823, and in September, 1832, Ezra Lyon, jr., was elected to a similar position. At the same time Mr. Mead and
also Mr. Lyon were ordained as deacons, and the first recorded protracted meeting on the church record was held,
continuing four days. In June, 1837, Elder Seamans severed his connection with the church and removed to Milton,
Saratoga county, where he remained for a year and a half, when he returned and resumed his church connection, Rev.
Timothy Day serving the society during his absence and for six months after his return. Giles C. Van Dyke was elected
a deacon in i846. The following year repairs and improvements were made to the church and the building somewhat
enlarged. The present house of worship was built in the year 1869 and cost $8,000. The dedicatory services were
held in March, 1870. In 1876 the church was reincorporated under the name of" The Baptist Church of Northville."
We now add a list of the pastors of this society, with the year in which they began their pastorate: Aaron Seamans,
i803, continuing for a period of thirty nine years; Timothy Day, 1837; Myron Negus, 1845; Joseph Mosher, i845;
Bradley K. Barber, 1846; Oscar F. A. Spinning, 1849; Nelson Combs, 1852; George Fisher, i853; Clement Haven, i857;
Charles D. Lewis, i859; Eli W. Brownell, i862; Joshua Day, i867; Charles F. Hull, 1873; J. G. Shrive, 1875; Moses
W. Dillingham, 1877; S. C. More, 1880; E. D. Hammond, 1882; E. P. Smallidge, 1884; Joseph S. Gould, 1888; M. B.
The following men have served as church clerks: Joseph Cory, elected 1803; Caleb W. Slocum, 1823; Nathaniel
Hamilton, 185o; Samuel B. Benton, 1853; Charles S. Smith, 1871; Joseph N. Mead, 1875. Among the deacons who were
active workers for the welfare of the society were Nathaniel Mead, elected in 1823 and held the office fifty years,
and Giles Van Dyke, elected in 1846, holding the office thirty nine years. The present deacons are Samuel B. Benton,
elected in 1854, and Orin Benton, elected in 1871. The trustees are Wm. H. Van Dyke, John C. Berry, and Wm. N.
Collins. The church membership is 185 and that of the Sunday school 180. Orin Benton is superintendent, assisted
by Edgar G. Palmer.
The Presbyterian Church of Northville. - This society was organized at a meeting held August 26, 1849, with
fourteen members presenting letters of dismission and recommendation as follows: From the Presbyterian church at
Northampton, Samuel Duncan, Anna Duncan, Sarah S. Duncan, Helen Duncan, James S. Ayres, Cynthia A. Ayres, and Hannah
Barcalow; from the Congregational church of Edinburgh, Barzilla Gilbert, George Gilbert, Lucy Gilbert, Darius Moore,
and Betsy Moore; from the Presbyterian church of Amsterdam, Alexander H. Ayres. The meeting for organization was
held in the Baptist church. The late Rev. Jeremiah Wood, who was then pastor of the Presbyterian church at Mayfield,
and Rev. David Lyon were present, and the latter was installed as pastor of the new church, Mr. Wood preaching
the sermon. For several years after organization the society held services by permission, both in the Methodist
and Baptist churches, usually occupying them afternoons. The present meeting house was built in 1857 and set apart
to divine worship September 9 of that year, Rev. David Tully, of Ballston Springs, preaching the sermon. Albert
H. Van Arnam gave the lot upon which the church was built, its value at that time being $100. The building will
seat 250 persons comfortably, and the entire cost of construction was $2,169.51. This amount was made up by liberal
contributions from various churches in the eastern part of the state, principally in the Albany Presbytery. The
society also received $150 from the church extension fund, a gift of $250 from Darius Moore, $75 from Samuel Duncan,
and $78.13 from Albert Moore. Among the pastors who have officiated at the church are David Lyon, P. J. Burnham,
Henry Rincker, Rev. Mr. Pease, Isaac Devoe, David Heron, Gordon Mitchell, Clarence W. Backus, Horace C. Stanton,
George K. Fraser and George L. McClellan. The first elders of the church were Samuel Duncan, James S. Ayres, Barzilla
Gilbert and Darius Moore. The present officers are as follows: Elders, John Ford, Sheldon Hubbell, John McKnight,
Fay Duncan, James W. Miller, A. M. Severance; trustees, James W. Miller, William H. Seymour, C. B. Resseguie, Ray
Hubbell, J. F. Bownan, and Z. C. Ford. Fay Duncan acted in the capacity of Sunday school superintendent for many
years. Z. C. Ford is the present incumbent.
In the old burying ground on Main street may be found the graves of many whose names have held prominence in the
history of Northampton. The first burials were made there about the beginning of the present century, and among
the earlier graves are those of John Dennison and Phcebe Elwell, both of whom died in 1804. In this old ground
lie the remains of Samuel Olmsted, who was the first settler of Northville, and his wife, Jerusha; also Abraham
Van Arnam and his wife, Hannah; Jeremiah Bass and his wife, Elizabeth; Samuel Bass and his wife, Charlotte; Samuel
L. Olmsted (a son of the first settler), and his wife, Mary Ann; Nathan Lobdell; Daniel Resseguie and his wife,
Mary; Charles Resseguie and his wife, Lucy; Sampson Sims and his wife, Mary; Samuel Randall and wife, Lydia; Cyrus
Brownell, Orra Brownell; Robert Brownell and his wife, Jane; Samuel Lobdell; Daniel Resseguie; Stephen Rowland
and his wife, Lyndia; Jacob F. Van Ness; Joseph Spier, who originally owned the land upon which the cemetery is
located; Henry Van Ness; Daniel Brownell and his wife, Hannah, and many others. A cemetery Association was organized
in 1855, Joseph F. Spier acting as its treasurer for about thirty years. Recently a new burying ground has been
opened on the hill at the head of Main street.
Northampton village, more generally known as Fish House, is situated on the right bank of the Sacandaga
River, at a point where that stream takes a gradual turn in its course from southeast to northwest. The village
is so close td the southern boundary of the town that part of its dwellings are really in the town of Broadalbin.
This is the oldest settlement in Northampton, taking it name from a fish house which Sir William Johnson built
there in 1762, which gives the place deep historic interest, and it seems unwise that the post office should have
been named Northampton instead of Fish House. From its geographical situation the village at one time became the
natural outlet to the south, for an immense region of country lying to the east and north. About the middle of
the present century a plank road was laid from this place to Amsterdam, and shortly afterwards another was built
by the Northville and Fish House Plank Road Company, connecting the latter two places. It was over this route that
the Amsterdam and Northville mail stages passed for many years, and an immense amount of traffic was carried on.
The road from Fish House to Northville, however, became unprofitable, and indeed was only remunerative for a few
years, the first set of planks never being replaced. When the railroad was built to Northville, it naturally diverted
a large share of the Adirondack traffic which had found its way to the north through Fish House.
As has been stated in the foregoing history of the town, Godfrey Shew, was the first permanent settler on the site
of the village. Tradition says that during the Indian troubles which occurred during and after the revolution,
he was scalped near the little ditch a few rods west of Charles Fay's present residence. His son, Jacob Shew, took
part in the revolution, where he gained the title of colonel. He was well known throughout this entire section,
and lived on the old Shew place just east of the village. It is now owned and occupied by Robert S. Page, a son
of David Page, who came to Fish House from Saratoga county in 1842. Jacob Shew had four sons, namely: John, Aaron,
Jacob and Putnam. Some of the latter's children are still living at Batchelorville, Saratoga county. John Fay came
to Fish House about 1805 or 1806 from Galway Corners. He was a native of Hardwick, Mass., and became a very prominent
man in the affairs of the village, also in those of the town and county. He raised a family of ten children, seven
daughters and three sons, and lived to see them all married, departing this life at the ripe age of eighty two.
His sons, John D., of Rochester, N. Y., Charles H., of Fish House, and Hiram W., of Independence, Ia., are all
living. John Fay was followed to this place by his brother Cyrus, a tanner and currier, who plied his trade at
Fish House for many years, and raised a large family of children. He was succeeded in business after his death,
by his son Alfred Fay.
Other pioneer settlers at Fish House have been mentioned in connection with the settlement of the town. The late
Alva Wood was one of the early physicians. He was a native of Montgomery county, settling in this village in 1825,
and practiced his profession there until old age placed him upon the list of retired physicians. Dr. Langdon I.
Marvin, another prominent physician in Fish House, took an active part in the affairs of the town and village.
He held important positions in the Masonic order, and represented his district in the State Legislature in 1840.
Darius S. Orton, one of the leading physicians of the county, is a native of Vermont.
Thomas H. Brown, living within three quarters of a mile of the village, is probably the oldest man in Fulton
county. He was born near Lexington, Mass., January 22, 1791, and is consequently in his 102d year. His father was
Abel Brown, a soldier in the revolutionary war, having served six and one half years under Colonel Sprout. Mr.
Brown himself was in the United States service in the war of 1812, and is entitled to a pension therefor, if he
wished to accept it. He comes from a family, many of the members of which have shown exceptional instances of longevity.
One of his sisters lived to the age of ninety two, and another died in her ninetieth year. An own cousin of Mr.
Brown lived to the great age of 100 years, though his father was only sixty eight years old at the time of his
death. Mr. Brown has reached an age that few can hope to attain, and yet he possesses all his faculties to a wonderful
degree. He remembers distinctly the eclipse of the sun in 1806, and relates many interesting anecdotes of pioneer
life when American independence was yet in its infancy. Coming to this town when thirty two years of age, he can
recall many exciting scenes of the hunt after the wild game which then abounded in this wilderness region. He relates
having killed twelve moose in this county in one winter, and has always taken the liveliest interest in trapping
and hunting. His avocation in life has been that of a farmer, and he is still able to attend to the affairs of
his small farm, having each summer a garden noted for its well kept appearance and productiveness. Always a strong
Democrat in political convictions, he has made it a point to cast his vote at every presidential election since
that of President Jackson, failing only twice in all that time to be present at the polls. He passed a happy wedded
life of fifty years, Mrs. Brown having died fourteen years ago. His present home is cared for by his eldest daughter,
Mary, a maiden lady, and their home is venerated by the whole community.
Fish House has not grown as fast as other villages in the county, and this may be accounted for by the fact
that its inhabitants have mostly been wealthy, conservative people, with a love for their stately country seats,
and no desire to see their beautiful farms and gardens laid out into building lots. It is a place distinctly noted
for its pleasant and substantial homesteads.
The post office was established at an early date. Stephen B. Jackson became postmaster in 186o and continued as
such during President Lincoln's administration. Robert Humphrey, the present postmaster, was appointed in 186o
and held the office continuously until 1384, when the Cleveland administration came into power. James H. Smith
was then appointed and held the position four years. When his term expired Mr. Humphrey was reappointed and has
retained the office ever since. The mail is received by way of Cranberry Creek once a day.
There are at present two general stores at Fish House; one kept by Robert Humphrey, the other by James H. Smith.
There are two hotels, both occupying historic sites. The Fish House hotel was built very early in the century,
as is indicated by the massive pine timbers used in its construction. It was built by John Fay and was intended
to be used as a residence, but subsequently became a tavern, for which purpose it has since been used. Clarence
L. Deuel, the present proprietor, has conducted the house during the past four years. Among those who have acted
as hosts of this ancient inn the following names are recalled: Cyrus Martin, Abram Van Den burg, Amasa Shippee,
Edward Pearl, Ephraim A. Duel, George O. Chamberlain, John Dunn, a man named Cundy, James Leroy, Charles Osborn,
Henry Eglin, Hiram Osborn, and Joseph Benedict. Directly across the way is the Osborn House, which occupies the
site of the first brick building erected in the town of Northampton. It was a store built by John Fay about 1809
and stood there for nearly eighty years. It was torn down in the fall of 1887 and replaced by the present commodious
hotel, built and conducted by Hiram Osborn.
Before dismissing the subject of the early history of Fish House, it seems fitting to quote briefly from the "Trappers
of New York," a volume published by Jeptha Simms, in 1850, in which he speaks of the village as follows: "Traversing
the forest in the French war from Ticonderoga to Fort Johnson, his then residence, no doubt made Sir William Johnson
familiar with the make of the country adjoining the Sacandaga river; and soon after the close of that war he erected
a lodge for his convenience while hunting and fishing, on the south side of the river, nearly eighteen miles from
his own dwelling. The lodge was ever after called the Fish House. It was an oblong square frame building, with
two rooms below, and walls sufficiently high (one and a half stories) to have afforded pleasant chambers. Its site
was on a knoll within the present garden of Dr. Langdon I. Marvin, and about thirty rods from the river. It fronted
the south. Only one room in the building was ever finished; that was in the west end, and had a chimney and fireplace.
The house was never painted, and in the Revolution it was burnt down; but by whom or whose authority is unknown.
The ground from where the building stood slopes very prettily to the river. No visible trace of the building remains.
* * *
"About the Fish House Sir William Johnson reserved one hundred acres of land, which was confiscated, with
his son's estate, in the Revolution. When sold by the sequestrating committee, it was purchased by Major Nicholas
Fish (he was adjutant general of militia after the war) for one hundred pounds. Major Fish sold it at the close
of the war to Asahel Parker, of Shaftesbury, Vermont, who resided several years upon it. He built a dwelling upon
the low ground, a few rods from the mouth of Vlaie creek, and the following spring he was driven out of it by some
four feet of water. Traces of this building are still to be seen west of the road, just above the river bridge.
Parker sold the Fish House farm to Alexander St. John. The village has since been built upon it."
The Presbyterian Church at Fish House is the oldest one in the place, and was undoubtedly the first religious
society organized within the present limits of the town, in which for many years there was no other Presbyterian
Church. Among the early deacons of this society was Samuel Duncan, who took a prominent part in organizing a Presbyterian
society at Northville in 1849. The present church edifice is a handsome brick structure, occupying a sightly position
near the centre of the village. Among the ministers who have officiated in this church may be mentioned H. L. Hoyt,
who held the pastorate in 1877. He was followed by Joseph Thyne who served the congregation faithfully from 1878
until 1883, and was succeeded by A. V. S. Wallace. Mr. Wallace remained with the society two years, relinquishing
his charge in 1885 to George K. Frasier, who remained until 1888. During a part of 1888 and 1889 Murray Gardner
and William E. Renshaw occupied the pulpit, each remaining six months. The latter was succeeded by William H. Hudnut,
who remained until July, 1890, at which time the present pastor, John G. Lovell, was installed. The church has
a membership of sixty one with a Sunday school of fifty scholars. J. H. Smith is the superintendent. The present
officers are: Elders, William M. Stark, Darius S. Orton, A. V. Beecher, J. H. Smith; trustees, Darius S. Orton,
William M. Stark, Jerome Closson, James F. Beecher, William Rhodes, W. B. Jones, Myron Darling, David Fay, J. H.
Smith; clerk, William Rhodes.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Northampton, located at Fish House, was organized in 1859, with about
fifteen members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. Mr. Quinlan. Steps were soon taken to build a house of worship,
and during the following year it was completed, being built of wood 35 by 50 feet in area, the lot upon which it
stood having been given to the society by William Slocum and wife. The total cost was $2,000, but since then sheds
have been erected, making the value of the church property at present about $2,500. The dedication took place in
the fall of 1860, the services being in charge of Rev. Samuel Meredith, presiding elder of the district, assisted
by Rev. Samuel McKean and Rev. Hannibal Smith. The Sunday school was organized in 1861, with about thirty scholars
and Henry W. Slocum as superintendent. The following ministers have officiated in this charge: John W. Quinlan,
Robert Patterson, Gilbert Ward, Henry Mortimer Munsee, Sherman M. Williams, Henry W. Slocum, Messrs. Stewart, Butcher,
and Armstrong, Edwin Genge, Frank R. Sherwood, Jesse Brown, Hannibal H. Smith, Charles E Green, Joel Hall, Jesse
Brown, second appointment; William Trevor, R. W. C. Zeihmn, Joel H. Lincoln, and the present pastor who came to
the society in April, 1891. The stewards of the church are Robert Humphrey, J. C. Buell, Mayland Van Deusen, and
Ezra Vanderhoof Mayland Van Deusen is also superintendent of the Sunday school.
Golden Rule Lodge, No. 384 F. and A. M., was organized at Northville, December 25, 1823, and worked under
dispensation until June 1, 1827, when it received a charter. The first officers were: Nathan B. Lobdell, W. M.;
Samuel Duncan, S. W.; Simon Van Arnam, J. W.; William Parmenter, treasurer; Daniel R. Potter, secretary; and A.
Hawley, tyler. Other members at that time were Thomas H. Brown, Hiram Lewis, Morgan Lewis, Samuel Dorrance, Thomas
Eglin, Ebenezer F Gifford, F. Van Steenburgh, Samuel L. Dorrance, R. Merril, L. Copeland, E. Oakley, Simon Walker,
Joseph Spier, John Sherwood, Caleb R. Nichols, J. Corey, J. L. Graves, J. R. Mitchell, W. Hamilton, Samuel Riddle,
Samuel W. Groat, Timothy Spier, and Reuben Slocum. The lodge continued to hold communication in the house of Daniel
R. Potter, which stood on the site afterwards occupied by W. F. Barker's store. As a result of the anti masonic
feeling created by the disappearance of Morgan, the lodge suspended labor April 28, 183o, and did not receive a
new charter until June I I, 1853, when it was removed to Fish House, and the name changed to Fish House Lodge,
No. 298, with the following officers: Henry W. Spencer, W. M.; Isaac Elithorpe, S. W. and James Partridge, J. W.
Among the past masters of the present lodge were Langdon I. Marvin, Harvey D. Smith, George Van Slyke, A. Newcomb
Van Arnam, Sands C. Benedict, Cyrus Sumner, Darius S. Orton, A. Burr Beecher, Harry C. Thorne, and Seymour F. Partridge.
Unfortunately the records of this lodge were burned in 1866, while temporarily stored during the building of a
new Masonic hall. The present building is conveniently situated in the village on the east side of the road leading
to Northville and is owned by the lodge. The present officers are; Seymour F. Partridge, W. M.; Charles L. Ackley,
S. W.; James R. Van Ness, J. W.; Adolph Robitshek, treasurer; Darius S. Orton, secretary; M. K. Waite, S. D.; John
C. Berry, J. D.; J. W. Bogart, S. M. C.; Eugene M. Wetherbee, J. M. C.; Rev. J. C. Russum, chaplain; Gardner Winney,
marshal; A. Burr Beecher, organist; Truman Partridge, tyler. The finance committee is composed of E. A. Tanner,
J. W. Bogart and Robert Humphrey; the trustees are Robert Humphrey, H. A. Partridge, and B. A. King.
Sacandaga Chapter, No. 116, R. A. M., received its charter February 9, 1826, and was located at Northville.
During the prevalence of the Morgan excitement it suspended labor and was not rechartered until February 24, 1853,
when in company with the lodge it was removed to Fish House. After reorganization Nathan B. Lobdell held the office
of H. P.; Samuel Duncan was king and Ely Beecher scribe, retaining their positions until December 14, 1853. The
present officers are: Darius S. Orton, M. E. H. P.; Thomas H. Brown (the oldest mason in the county), E. K.; D.
W. Partridge, E. S.; H. A. Partridge, treasurer; James H. Smith, secretary; E. A. Tanner, C. H.; C. S. Tanner,
P. S. J. W. Olmstead, R A. C.; P. W. Persons, M. 3d V.; Marion H. Frasier, M. 2d V.; C. 1W. Sumner, M. 1st V.;
Rev. J. H. Lincoln, chaplain; A. B. Beecher, organist; Truman Partridge, tyler. The finance committee consists
of Lewis Brownell, John B. Cook, and A. J. Smith; the trustees are: H. A. Partridge, Marion H. Frasier, and C.
Osborn's Bridge, or Denton's Corners, two names applied to a small village situated on the right bank of
the Sacandaga river, about half way between Northville and Fish House, was settled shortly after the war of the
revolution. The names of the earliest settlers in this locality have been noted in preceding pages of this work.
Among those who located there early in the present century were two men named Osborn and Denton. It appears that
both displayed an inclination to perpetuate their family names by attaching them to the little settlement. Denton
lived at the road crossing about half a mile from the bridge across the Sacandaga, and the cluster of houses in
his neighborhood received the name of Denton's Corners, while Osborn secured distinction by naming the bridge after
himself. Upon the establishment of a post office at this place the name Osborn's Bridge was selected, but the village
is widely known as Denton's Corners. Denton and Elihu Coleman were the owners of the first frame houses in or near
The Methodist Episcopal church of Denton's Corners was first organized as a class or society about sixty
five years ago. Services are held in a wooden church building, conveniently situated near the "Corners."
It is included in the Northampton charge, of which W. S. Taylor is the present officiating clergyman.
Cranberry Creek, so called from a stream by the same name upon which it is situated, is a small village located
close to the west line of the town. It is a station on the F., J. and G. Railroad, and connection is made there
by stage for Osborn's Bridge and Northampton village. M. A. Gilbert is station agent for the railroad company,
a position he has held for the past twelve years. A. G. Kiltz is the postmaster. The village also contains two
churches, the Christian and the Methodist Episcopal; a store, a school house, and twenty five or thirty dwellings.
The Christian Church at Cranberry Creek was organized in September, 1822. Elder Jacob Capron held services
there for one year, commencing in the autumn of 1820. He was followed by Elder Jabez King, who conducted services
a year and until the time of organization. Thomas R. Tanner and Samuel Spaulding were the first deacons, and the
former was chosen clerk of the society. Meetings were held at different places during a period of twenty years.
The present church edifice was built in 1845, the money being raised by subscription. The total cost was about
$1,000. Up to 1840 eighty three persons had enrolled their names as members of this society. Among the ministers
who have officiated at this church are Rev. Messrs. Capron, King, Andrews, Haight, Haywood, Coffin, Evans, Bowdish,
Teal, Warner, and Pratt. The present pastor is Charles Mace. The trustees are John Reynolds, E. R. Armstrong, and
Wilbur Wilson; clerk, J. E. Kiltz.
The Methodist Episcopal church has been recently organized at this place, and is under the Northampton charge,
W. S. Taylor, pastor.
Town Officers. - The following lists comprise the names of supervisors, town clerks and justices of the
peace of Northampton, from the first town meeting, held May 24,1799, to the present time.
Supervisors. - 1799-1803, Alexander St. John; 1804-5, John Nash; 1806, Abram Van Arnam; 1807-13, John Fay;
1814-22, Joseph Spier; 1823-36, Nathaniel Westcott; 1837-41, John Patterson; 1842-43, Nathan 13. Lobdell; 844-5,
Abram H. Van Arnam; 1846-7, William Slocum; 1848-9, Cyrus Stone; 1850-1, Fay Smith; 1852, William A. Smith; 1853-4,
William Slocum; 1855-6, Morgan Lewis; 1857-8, Seth Cook; 1859-60, William F. Barker; 1861-2, H. D. Smith; 1863-4,
Gilbert Lefevre; 1865-6, H. D. Smith; 1867-8, A. Newcomb Van Arnam; 1869-72, Thomas H. Rooney; 1873-75, A. Newcomb
Van Arnam; 1776, George M. Gifford`; 1877-8, Robert Humphrey; 1879-80, John McKnight; 1881-2, James H. Smith; 1883-5,
George E. Van Arnam; 1886-8, Albert J. Smith; 1889-90, George N. Brown; 1891, John A. Cole.
Town Clerks.-1800-3, John Dennison; 1804-5, Abram Van Arnam; 1806, J. A. Van Arnam; 1807, Daniel Brownell;
1808-9, Jacob Van Arnam; 1810-12, James Lobdell; 1813, William Hammond; 1814-15, Godfrey T. Shew; 1816-20, Nathaniel
Wescot; 1821, Abram Van Arnam, jr.; 1822-8, Joseph F. Spier; 1829-30, C. S. Grinnell; 1831-3, F1avel B. Sprague;
1834-5, John Patterson; 1836-7, Wright Newton; 1838, William H. Van Ness; 1839-40, Seth Cook; 1841, D. R. Smith;
1842-3, M. W. Newton; 1844, Peter D. Gifford; 1845-46, Harvey D. Smith; 1847-8, Benjamin Smith; 1849, William H.
Van Ness; 1850-1, Seth Cook; 1852, John W. Cook; 1853-4, Morgan Lewis; 1855, Joseph M. Gifford; 1856-7, H. D. Smith;
1858-9, A. J. Smith; 1860, S. B. Benton; 1861, Charles A. Baker; 1862-3, John W. Cook; 1864, J. H. Smith; 1865,
A. Pulling; 1866, B. N. Lobdell; 1867-8, Augustus Pulling; 1869-70, P. Conkling; 1871, Rufus P. Gifford; 1872,
Amos H. Van Arnam; 1873, Theodore Scribner; 1874, Harry C. Thorne; 1875, Jonathan Baker; 1876, George N. Brown;
1877-8, George E. Van Arnam; 1879-80, Milo K. Waite; 1881-3, E. L. Deming; 1884, Albert J. Smith; 1885-90, Joseph
N. Mead; 1891, Fred N. Benton.
Justices of the Peace.(1) 1830, Nathaniel Wescot; 1831, Andrew Chambers; 1832, Samuel Duncan; 1833, Flavel
B. Sprague; 1834, Nathaniel Wescot; 1835, Abram Dedrick; 1836, Morgan Lewis, Samuel Cale; 1837, Andrew Chambers;
1838, Thaddius St. John, Flavel Sprague; 1839, Flavel B. Sprague, Harmon Seymour; 1840, Morgan Lewis; 1841, Joseph
M. Gifford; 1842, David R. Smith; 1843, Charles A. Baker, Alva Wood; 1844, Morgan Lewis; 1845, Joseph M. Gifford;
1846, Alva Wood; 1847, Charles A. Baker; 1848, Morgan Lewis; 1849, Alfred N. Haner; 1850, George Pease; 1851, Martin
Furkham; 1852, William E. Spier; 1853, Alfred N. Haner, Nathan B. Lobdell, Seth Cook; 1854, George Pease; 1855,
Seth Cook; 1856, Nathan B. Lobdell, Caleb W. Slocum; 1857, Caleb W. Slocum; 1858, George Pease; 1859, Seth Cook;
1860, Morgan Lewis; 1861, Lockwood Spalding; 1862, George Pease; 1867, Seth Cook; 1868, Morgan Lewis; 1869, Joseph
M. Gifford, Royal Shuts; 1870, George Pease; 1871, Arnold P. Partridge, H. D. Smith; 1872, John McKnight; 1873,
George M. Gifford; 1874, H D. Smith, Clark S. Tanner; 1875, Clark S. Tanner; 1876, William Coppernoll; 1877, Nathaniel
Hinkley; 1878, John H. Hinkley; 1879, Clark S. Tanner; 1880, John W. Brown; 1881, N. Hinkley; 1882, Ezra Vanderhoof;
1883, Clark S. Tanner; 1884, John W. Brown; 1885, Nathaniel Hinkley; 1886, Willis Hayden, Edgar L. Deming; 1887,
Clark S. Tanner; 1888, John W. Brown, John McKnight; 1889, John Patterson, William M. Stark; 1890, William M. Stark;
1891, Fay Duncan.
The town officers for 1892 are as follows: Supervisor, George E. Van Arnam; town clerk, Clarence P. Willard; justices
of the peace, John Patterson, William M. Stark, John W. Brown, Fay Duncan; assessors, Charles Palmateer, Z. C.
Ford, George M. Gifford; commissioner of highways, William H. Miller; collector, Chase Chapman.
1 The records do not show any justices to have been elected prior to 1830.