TOWN OF GALWAY.
Galway is one of the western tier of towns. It is rectangular in shape; is bounded
on the north by Providence, on the east by Milton, on the south by Chariton and on the west by the county line.
The town is defined as follows by the Revised Statutes:
The town of Gaiway shall contain all that part of said county bounded easterly by Milton, southerly by a line running
from the southwest corner of Milton west, along the south bounds of the fourteenth allotment of the patent of Kayaderosseras
to the west bounds of the county; westerly by the bounds of the county; and northerly by Providence.
In the southern part of the town the surface is gently undulating. In the northern part are rounded hills of the
Kayaderosseras range. Chuctenunda creek rises near the northeast corner, flows southward and supplies a reservoir
used by the manufacturers of Amsterdam, N. Y. This reservoir is located a mile and a half west of Galway village.
Feegowesee creek rises north of the cenfre and flows in an easterly direction into the Kayaderosseras creek. A
branch of the Mourning kill rises in the southeast and flows eastwardly into the Kayaderosseras. Gaiway was first
settled in the fall of 1774 about a mile south of Galway village by a number of Scotch emigrants who accompanied
the body who settled Charlton. Among the first to come were William Kelly, John and James Major and John McHarg.
In 1778 Rev. Simeon Smith and others came from Centrehook, R. I., and settled near York’s Corners. Soon after the
Revolution John Hinman, James Hayes, Peter Anderson, Richard Paul, Dudley Smith and others from Elizabeth, N. J.,
settled at Jersey Hill, in the southwestern part. Lewis Stone came from New York in 1794. The first church,. Scotch
Presbyterian, was located at the point of first settlement, known as Scotch Street. Rev. James Mairs was the first
pastor. An academy was established at Galway in 1836. In 18ö0 it was converted into a female seminary. After
being unoccupied for eight years the building was burned November 30, 1871. The churches in the town are: First
Baptist, organized in about 1788; Second Baptist, 1789; First Associate Presbyterian, 1807; M. E. church of Gaiway,
1836; M. E. church of East Gaiway, 1858; First Christian church, 1814, and the Catholic church.
Galway is the principal village. It was incorporated April 18, 1838, and the charter was amended April 27, 1869.
East Gaiway (York’s Corners), Mosherville, North Galway, West Gaiway and Whiteside Corners are hamlets. West Galway
is locally known as Top-Notch.
The town of Galway was formed from Ballston March 7, 1792. It then comprised the
territory now embraced within the limits of Galway, Providence, Edinburgh and the western part of Day. It was first
known as “New Galloway.” Providence was taken off in 1796. Providence at first contained all the balance of the
original town of Gaiway. The supervisors of the town since its organization have been:
1792-94, John McClelland. 1795-1802, John Munro. 1803 04, Isaac Gere. 1805-08, Nehemiah Conde. 1809-10, A. Starkweatber.
1811-12, Perez Otis. 1813, Stephen Wait. 1814, Perez Otis. 1815, A. Starkweather. 1816, Perez Otis. 1817, Gilbert
Swan. 1818, Perez Otis. 1819. Thomas Alexander. 1820-21, Isaac Gere. 1822- 25, Nathan Thompson. 1826-27, Perez
Otis. 1828.33, Nathan Thompson. 1834-35, Dudley Smith. 1836, George Davidson. 1837-39, Azariah E. Stimson. 1840,.
Jesse H. Mead. 1841, Azariah E. Stimson. 1842-43, Lewis Stone. 1844, William B. Knox. 1945, John Whiteside. 184647,
James Fuller. 1848, James M. Barker. 1849, Josiah Pulling. 1850, Benjamin Blair. 1851-52. Aaron Cook. 1853, Alexander
H. Hicks. 1854, Morgan Lewis. 1855-57, Thomas Mairs. 1858, Benjamin Blair. 1859, Thomas Mairs. 1860, Ira Brockett.
1861, Harrison Allen. 1862, John Whiteside. 1868-64, John N. Slocum. 1865, Thomas Mairs. 1866 69, Isaiah Fuller.
1870-71, William Buckwell. 1872 73, Samuel Cook. 1874; James D. Hays. 1875-76, William Crouch. 1877, Lauren O.
Kennedy. 1878, James D. Hays. 1879.80, Lauren O. Kennedy. 1881-82, William Buckwell. 1883, John H. Seabury. 1884-85,
Harvey Crouch. 1886-87, Smith B. Cook. 1888-89, Frank L. Smith. 1890-92, Robert Kelly. 1893, John H. Seabury. 1894,
Samuel Kemp. 1895.97, Robert Shaw. 1898, Scott Glenn.