GENESEE is the southwestern town of
Allegany county. At the time the first settlement was made within its limits it was a part of the town of Friendship.
In 1822, when the town of Cuba was formed from Friendship, it was included in the new town, and was set off from
Cuba as Genesee 905. The soil is, for the most part, a gravelly loam, though in some places it is a sandy, and,
in others, a clayey loam. The surface is very uneven, consisting of narrow valleys between ranges of hills both
high and steep. The highest summits are said to be 1,000 to 1,400 feet above the valleys. Although many of the
hills have been partially cleared, with very few exceptions the homes have been built in the valleys. On one of
the highest hills, a little to the northeast of the center of the town, nature has located a hamlet known as “Rock
City.” It consists of huge boulders of conglomerate, some of which are as large as a good-sized dwelling, and seen
from a distance they appear to be a collection of houses. The sides of some of the boulders are as perpendicular
as the walls of a house, with corners as well-defined, while others are very irregular in shape and vary greatly
in its declivities and cover an area of 40 acres. In the early “forties,” when it was surrounded by a dense wilderness
and bears were sometimes met in going there, the “City” had its beginning as a resort for celebrations, picnics,
etc. With the removal of the woods much of the charm of picnicking was lost, but the view of the surrounding country
seen from the crest of the hill in a pleasant day affords the lover of nature a picture not soon to be forgotten,
and the rocks are still monuments of the omnipotence of Him who placed them there.
The streams of the town are Little Genesee, Windfall, Oswayo, Deer, Dodge's and Wolf creeks, Streeter, Wilson,
Bell, Butternut and other nameless brooks fed by living springs. The valleys of all the creeks are thickly settled,
as are also some of the brook valleys; and, while on some of the brooks the clearings are comparatively new, thrift
and enterprise can in a few years make them rival those which have been longer cultivated. In West Genesee, besides
the 20 or more dwellings in either valley, there is on Deer creek a schoolhouse, and on Dodge's creek a Seventh-day
Baptist church and a schoolhouse. There is also a schoolhouse in the Windfall valley.
LITTLE GENESEE.-The village of
Little Genesee is in the southeastern part of the town, and contains one Seventh-day Baptist church, one schoolhouse
with two departments, a hall, two general stores, in one of which is Little Genesee postoffice, one feed and hardware
store, two vacant stores, a hotel, a milliner's shop, a barber's shop and some 30 dwellings with about 100 inhabitants.
CERES.-The village of Ceres is
situated on Oswayo creek, a little west of the center of the south line of the town. It lies partly in Genesee
and partly in Ceres, PA., and has nearly 300 inhabitants. It contains, in Genesee, the postoffice (Ceres, N.Y.),
a schoolhouse with two departments, a dry-goods and millinery store, a general store, two doctor's offices, a printing
office, a saw and planning mill, a handle factory, a railroad station, a barber shop, 48 dwellings, and about 200
inhabitants, while scarcely across the state line are the M.E. church and parsonage.
FIRST SETTLEMENTS.-The first settler
in the town was John Bell, who, born in England, came to this country when nine years of age. He came to Ceres
in 1817, and in the fall bought land on Bell Brook with the state line for its southern boundary. He at once commenced
a clearing and the next year built, near the state line, a large log house containing three great fireplaces. In
December he brought his bride, Miss Jane King of Ceres, to the new home, and on this farm they passed the remainder
of their lives, Mrs. Bell living to see more than man's allotted three score years and ten, and Mr. Bell more than
four score years.
The second settler was Newman Crabtree of Friendship. In 1819 he put up a shanty on the Genesee creek and commenced
building a mill which was not completed for two or three years. He then sawed lumber and built a plank house, and
went with his ox sled to bring his family from his former home in Friendship (now Wirt.) There was an old hut on
lot 3 used by the Indians as a half-way house in passing between the reservations on the Genesee and Allegany rivers.
Around the hut the vegetation was luxuriant, and Mr. Crabtree stopped to let his oxen feed, and while waiting he
set the hut on fire. Returning with his family after two or three days he found his own house in flames and went
back to the home in Wirt. A few days later Mr. Cowles of Bolivar met an Indian near the mill and asked him why
he burned the house, to which the Indian replied, “He burn me house, me burn his.” When asked why he did not burn
the mill too, he said, “Ugh, he no burn me mill.”
In the fall of 1822 Jabez Burdick of Berlin, N.Y., came to Genesee. He had passed the spring and summer in Friendship,
working a farm on shares. He located on Genesee Creek above the village, and made a little clearing and built a
log shanty on it that fall, and the following January brought his family, a wife, one son and two daughters.
In 1824 Roswell Streeter, also of Berlin, settled here, and in 1826 built a framed house, the first in town, which
he afterward sold to Mr. Wells who moved it to his own land and lived in it. It still exists as part of the house
owned by Mrs. Howe. Previous to 1830 Mr. Streeter removed to Wirt.
In 1824 Ezekiel Crandall and Joseph Wells of Rhode Island came to Genesee and bought 1,000 acres of land for themselves
and other Rhode Island men. Mr. Wells was desirous of having the tract which contained a good waterpower, and this
privilege the others readily granted. The remainder was divided among the purchasers by lot. Mr. Wells and Mr.
Crandall brought their families in 1825. Their goods were shipped to Rochester by water, Mr. and Mrs. Wells coming
the same way, while their six children, with Mr. Crandall and his family (five children) came with horses and wagons,
making the trip in about three weeks. Mr. Wells built their log house where the house of his son Samuel now stands.
The next year he built a blacksmith shop, at which trade he worked until his death in 1836. His sons Daniel and
Samuel also followed the same trade for many years. Mr. Crandall with his family were detained at Alfred by sickness
and they did not occupy their log house until March, 1826.
Riverions Hooker and John Loop came in 1825. Mr. Hooker settled on Dodge's Creek in the northwest part of the town
where he lived until his death in 1868. Mr. Loop also settled in the northwest part of the town but removed to
Pennsylvania in a few years.
In 1826 Joseph Maxson of Rhode Island with his wife and four grown children settled on Windfall creek, building
on the site where the house of his grandson, Asa L. Maxson, now stands. In the same year Ira Burdick came from
Berlin, N.Y., building his house of hewed logs on the bank of the brook below the village. The following winter,
while chopping, he was killed by a falling tree. Mrs. Burdick had a hard struggle to provide for herself and two
little ones. But she “kept the wolf from the door” until the children were old enough to help her in the struggle.
So kind and bright and cheery was she that she endeared herself alike to old and young, and “Aunt Polly” was at
all times a welcome guest, especially so if there was sickness or sorrow. After the marriage of her children her
home was with her daughter, Mrs. E.R. Crandall, where she died in 1861.
In 1826 or '27 Horace and Hiram Wilson bought land, which, after occupying some years, they sold to Henry C. Crandall
and Wm. L. Bowler. In 1827 William and Norry Hooker and John Cook settled on Dodge's Creek, and several families
from Rhode Island in the southeast part of the town. Samuel Jaques, George Kenyon and Joel Crandall bought in the
valley east of the village, Benj. Maxson and Ethan Kenyon in the Genesee valley, northeast of the village, David
Maxson below the village, Amos Green and Rev. Henry P. Green in the Windfall valley, and James King in the Oswayo
valley below Ceres village. Daniel and John Edwards of Rhode Island, George Potter of Connecticut, and Rowland
Coon, formerly of Rhode Island, came in 1828. Mr. Coon settled in the northern part of the town where he died in
1848. His son, Alonzo B., owned the place until the oil development, when he sold it and removed to Friendship.
Mr. Potter bought on Windfall creek and some years after returned with his wife to Connecticut, his son George
remaining on the place until his death in 1856. The Edwards brothers settled in the Genesee valley about a mile
above Ceres, where they lived until 1874, when they sold the farm and dissolved partnership, John remaining in
the old home until his death in 1877, and Daniel removing to Dodge's Creek valley in 1831, where he lived until
his death in 1858. His son, John J., who came with him, still lives on the place. Paul Ennis of Rhode Island also
came to Dodge's Creek in 1829, and in 1850 removed to Little Genesee. The same year Ebenezer D. Bliss brought his
family to the Windfall valley and lived on the same farm until his death in 1884. His son David cared for his father
in his last years, and after his death removed to the village where he died in 1891. Joseph Boss, who came with
Mr. Bliss, in 1837 bought a farm in Windfall creek where he lived until his death in 1872. Peleg Babcock also settled
in the Windfall valley about 1828 or'29.
The first settlement was made in Ceres, Pa., as early as 1795, so that by 1830 quite a settlement had been made
there, but so far as can now be ascertained, nearly all the families living where the village now is, were in Pennsylvania.
Previous to 1830 Daniel Carr and Edward Steenrod had settled on the Genesee side of the village, and John Darling
farther down the valley below John Bell. A few years later Mr. Darling went west.
In 1830 George Irish of Connecticut and Joseph S. and Ethan P. Crandall of Otsego county came to Dodge's Creek.
Palermo Lackey of Vermont came into the town in the same year, and in 1838 settled on the farm where he still lives.
In 1831 Elias I. Maxson of Rhode Island came to Dodge's Creek, George Merritt and his sons of Rhode Island and
John Tanner of Petersburg to Windfall valley, Matthew M. Crandall to the southwest part of the town, and Asa Langworthy
located near the Bolivar line above the village. Jairus Crandall came in 1832 settling in the Windfall valley.
In his later years he removed to the village. Z. Reynolds Maxson came to the village, Warren Hyde to the north
part and Paul Edwards to the south part of the town in the same year. Mr. Hyde and Mr. Edwards went to Wisconsin
in the early forties.
Albert B. Crandall of Brookfield came to Deer Creek in 1833 where he spent the remainder of his life, and where
his son, A.K. Crandall, still lives. Henry C. Champlin came from Alfred to Dodge's Creek the same year, and the
following year removed to Deer Creek. About 1834 Paul Crandall and Marvin Wheelock settled at Ceres, and Dennis
Saunders and Horace Buten in the Windfall valley. In the early thirties, probably, four brothers, Alvah, Ira, Cyrus
and Russell Cooper came to Ceres. Cyrus and Russell owned a mill which they operated a number of years, when Cyrus
moved across the line. Russell remained in this town until his death, keeping store for many years.
EARLY EVENTS AND INDUSTRIES.-The
first birth in the town was that of Francis K. son of John Bell, and the first death was that of the same child
who lived but a few weeks. The first marriage was that of Joseph Allen and Phebe Maxson in 1826. Mr. Allen is still
living in Wirt. The first school was taught by Elder Henry P. Green in the winter of 1826 and 27, in a little house
on Ezekiel Crandall's land. The first term at Ceres was taught about 1833 by Hiram Wilson who was a Lima student.
“The old yellow schoolhouse” was then a new one. Of the early settlers, Joseph Wells was blacksmith, Riverious
Hooker millwright and carpenter, George Kenyon, Matthew M. Crandall and Paul Edwards shoemakers, Mr. Bliss chairmaker
(and the chairs, which after 50 years of use seem good for another 50, testify that he must have been a good workman),
Joel Maxson surveyor, D. and J. Edwards carpenters and wagon-makers, Peleg Babcock and Mr. Tanner coopers, and
Mrs. Rowland Coon tailoress. The first store was kept by Albert Langworthy in one room of his dwelling. The first
hotel was kept by Lewis J. Coon in 1842, but no license to sell liquors was ever granted in the town. In 1835 or
36 the Edwards brothers built a cabinet and wagon shop, and in the early fifties a gristmill, the first in town.
In 1836 a circulating library was established for which an act of incorporation was secured and which was known
as “The Franklin Library.” Many of its prominent members and patrons were citizens of Ceres, Penn. The library
was kept up about 25 years when the books were divided amongst the members. It contained Rollin's Ancient History,
Plutarch's Lives, Waverly novels, histories of France and England, works of Franklin, Irving, Byron, Dickens, Goldsmith,
Milton, Cowper, Life of Napoleon and many others.
Little Genesee post office was established in 1830 with Benjamin Maxson as postmaster. He lived and kept the office
in a house now owned by W.S. Wells. The mail route extended from Friendship to Ceres where it connected with a
route from Olean into Pennsylvania and the mails were carried on horseback once a week. Later a stage route was
established going from Friendship to Olean one day and back the next making the trip twice a week. After the New
York & Erie railroad was built the mail route was divided, one stage running from Ceres to Olean daily and
one from Ceres to Friendship 3 times a week until 1869 or 70 after which it went daily. In 1881 two railroads were
built through the town, the Allegany Central running from Olean to Angelica, now known as the C. N. Y. & W.
and running only from Olean to Bolivar; the Bradford, Eldred & Cuba running from Bradford to Wellsville, with
a branch road from Genesee to Cuba. The Cuba branch was abandoned after a few years and in 1893 the main road was
also given up. After the railroads were built the mail was carried on them and there are now 4 mails a day.
EARLY EXPERIENCES.-One stanza
of a song familiar to the children of forty years ago ran thus,
“If we a visit wished to pay - On a winter's night or a winter's day, - The oxen drew the ladies sleigh - In the
But the pioneers assure us that travel with ox sleds was not limited to winter weather, but that trips to mill
and to market were made in the same way in summer also, sometimes going in that manner from West Genesee to Friendship.
Some of the early settlers tell of being half a day coming the last three or four miles, and others about cutting
a road a mile or more beyond where any had been made to get their goods to the hew home. One pioneer at least is
known to have reached the town having but $25 in money with his house yet to build and winter soon coming. Doubtless
there would be many similar records were the circumstances known. The capacity of the little log houses seems at
the present day almost marvelous. When a new family came they were taken in by some family already housed, until
their own could be built. Houses 18 feet by 20, or 18 by 24, some with chambers, some without, sheltered for weeks
or months two families with five, six, or seven in a family. Wolves and bears were frequently seen and several
instances could be cited where daylight showed by the tracks, that on the previous evening individuals had been
followed nearly to the house by wolves, in one instance by four. Sad havoc was made among the sheep by wolves and
lynx for several years, and lambs were sometimes destroyed by eagles. Deer furnished meat for many a meal, and
bears also occasionally served as food. A bear killed by Jabez Burdick was shared with his neighbors. In one family
the good wife was not told what kind of meat it was until she had cooked and eaten of it, pronouncing it extra
nice pork. Many a supper consisted of mush and milk or milk porridge or roasted potatoes, or johnny cake baked
on a board before the fire (for it must be remembered that for a number of years there were very few families who
had a stove) and sometimes when there was no milk the mush was eaten in water gruel.
Perhaps it may not have been a common occurrence, but it sometimes happened that the children must go early to
bed that their one suit of clothing might be washed or mended ready for school on the morrow. Very rich did the
children feel when they had shoes and stockings to wear to church in warm weather, and so precious were they, that
those who had long walks to church went barefoot carrying the shoes to put on when nearly there. The busy housewife
had not simply to cut and make the clothing for the family, but the cloth from which it was made was also the result
of her own labor. The woolen sheets, flannel dresses and shawls for the women and girls, flannel shirts and kersey
and satinet suiting for the men and boys were spun, woven and made with her own hands. The little linen wheels,
which a few years ago the young ladies brought from the attic for parlor ornaments, performed an active part in
home industries in the kitchens of their grandmothers. Sheets and pillow slips, plain kersey and diaper towels,
bird's eye, snowflake and rose diaper tablecloths, were all wrought by their busy fingers from flax grown on the
land. Some of these articles are now treasured as heirlooms by the daughters and granddaughters. Stockings and
mittens for large and small were knit by the same diligent fingers, much of it being done as a rest from heavier
MILLS AND LUMBERING.-The town
was heavily timbered with pine and hemlock, as well as hard woods. When the first settlements were made, there
were no roads and no sawmills nearer than those which had been built at Ceres, then known as Smith Settlement,
previous to 1825. So the timber was felled and at first burned, the settlers living near the creeks cut the trees
into logs, put them in to the streams and let the freshets carry them away. Some time in the thirties after lumber
could be drawn to the mills, the best of pine brought $2.50 per thousand delivered at the mill. The first sawmill
was built by Newman Crabtree on the farm now owned by Mr. Bowler. He completed it in the summer of 1822 and had
sawed but a few thousand boards when his house was burned and he abandoned the mill. Soon after the dam was destroyed
by a pine tree falling across it. About four years later Horace and Hiram Wilson bought and repaired the mill and
run it for several years. In 1830 the second mill was built a mile or more farther down the stream by Daniel and
John Edwards, and was in operation more or less for about forty years. A year or two later one was built on Windfall
creek by Ezekiel Crandall and Joseph Maxson and their sons, Henry C. Crandall and Joel Maxson. Between this and
1850 one was built on Windfall creek by George Potter; on the Genesee creek, one at the village by Avery and Albert
Langworthy; below the village one by David Maxson one by A.B. Coon and D. Fairbanks and one by W.L. Bowler and
H.C. Maxson; one on Wolf creek by Elias Maxson; on Dodge's creek one by Paul Ennis and one by George Irish; on
Deer creek one by Albert B. & Hampton Crandall, one by Kinney Brown, and one by Peter Keyes.
In 1853 the first steam sawmill was built by the Ennis brothers on the Genesee creek below the village. In 1855
it was burned but was at once rebuilt. It was undermined by the flood of 1861 and was never repaired. For 25 or
30 years lumbering was the principal business interest. The lumber was drawn from the mills to the Oswayo Creek
where it was constructed into rafts which on the spring and fall floods were “run” down the river and marketed
in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and other towns along the river, sometimes going as far as Cairo. Pittsburgh hands received
in the early days twelve and thirteen and later fifteen to twenty dollars for the trip making it in from five to
seven days, and the return trip in from four and a half to six days on foot. Cincinnati hands received $25 to $30,
making the trip down in from ten to twenty days, returning to Pittsburg by boat and walking the rest of the way.
Shaving pine shingles furnished the men employment on leisure days and in the long evenings and added something
to the scanty incomes. They were taken to market on the rafts. Making “grubs” which were used in the construction
of rafts was another industry for leisure hours, the finishing being frequently done by the kitchen fire after
the day's work was completed. The last of the pine timber was cut some years ago; the hemlock is nearly gone and
much of the hardwood. As the timber was removed the land was cleared for cultivation and at the present time dairying
is the principle interest.
The Slade sawmill is located at Bowler Station, and was built in 1881 by W.M. and T.B. Love. Six men are employed
and from 500,000 to 2,000,000 feet of lumber is produced annually. In 1885 Marcus E. and Jasper N. Slade purchased
this mill and operate it.
The saw and planning mill at Ceres was built in 1895 by F.M. Van Wormer, in place of the one burned that year and
built in 1890. The main building is 36 x 84 feet and three stories high. An addition 12 x 48 feet shelters the
boiler and engine. The mill is supplied with new and modern machinery and is in every way greatly superior to the
Little Genesee cheese factory located about half a mile from Little Genesee, was built in 1870 by Ethan Kenyon.
Charles A. Thompson purchased it in 1891, and in 1893 made 106 ,555 lbs. of cheese and used the milk of about 350
cows. The factory has a Babcock tester.
PHYSICIAN.-Ormond E. Burdick,
M.D. (See page 235.)
OIL IN GENESEE.-The Bradford Era
of Jan. 30, 1890, said: “The first test well was drilled on lot 42, commenced, in the fall of 1877 and finished
the next spring. There was quite an amount of gas and a little oil. It is estimated that it would have been a five
or six barrel well, but it was never operated. The next one was drilled on lot 28 in 1879 and was known as the
Buffalo well, as the capital was furnished mostly by Buffalo men. A little oil was found. The first barrel of oil
sold in the town came from this well and was bought for lubricating purposes. The next well was on lot 22, commenced
in the fall of 1880 and finished in the spring of 1881. Some oil was found, but it was not operated until later.
In the summer of 1881 the excitement commenced and wells were put down quite rapidly.” From the assessment roll
for those years I find that in 1883 there were 467 wells; in 1887 there were 497, and in 1894, 348. Several wells,
I think three, but am not positive, have been completed since the assessment of 1894 was made, and some ten or
twelve including both oil and gas, are in process now (May, 1895,) some drilling, some putting up rigs. (The late
boom in prices has largely stimulated production since.) In 1894 the Producers' Gas Co. was assessed with 15 wells,
and the National Transit Gas Co. with 11 wells. The Home Gas Co. of Ceres, organized in 1892 has two wells, both
H.D. Witter, Esq., of Bolivar, wrote us May 19, 1895, thus: “If I am correctly informed the first well drilled
in Genesee was drilled in 1879 or '80 up Streeter Brook on George Green's farm by one Scott, and it was thought
that it would have been a fair well if it had been properly handled, although pronounced a failure by the parties
who drilled it. Since this time the territory has been developed, and oil in paying quantities is the result, although
they are light wells. The greatest amount of oil produced in the town at any one time was in 1882, when the daily
run was 3,000 barrels, and the least in the year 1894, when the run averaged about 100 barrels. The main companies
operating in the town were the McCalmont, Willets, Schofield, and Anchor Oil companies. There are two companies
operating for gas in the town. The United Natural Gas Co. has drilled 15 wells here, and have pulled out three,
leaving twelve producing gas.”
THE FIRST SEVENTH-DAY BAPTIST CHURCH of Genesee was organized July 9, 1827, by Elders Wm. B. Maxson, and John Green.
The constituent members were Joseph and Lydia Maxson, Ezekiel and Susan Crandall, Henry P., Lucy, Amos and Esther
Green, Joseph and Lydia Wells, Benjamin Maxson, Nancy Kenyon, Joel and Phebe Maxson. Henry P. Green, whom the Friendship
church had licensed to preach, was chosen as leader. In 1831 he was licensed by this church, and in 1835 was ordained.
He preached for the church for about 20 years, part of the time being the only preacher and part of the time preaching
alternately with others. He remained a member of the church during his life, occasionally preaching, and often
assisting in the services.* In the second decade of the church's existence, Edwin Stillman, Thos. E. Babcock, and
perhaps others, preached alternately with Elder Green. In 1844 Rev. S.S. Griswold was called as pastor and served
about 15 months. He was succeeded by Elder J.L. Scott who remained two years. Rev. James Bailey commenced his pastorate
in 1848 and resigned in the fall of 1853. In May, 1854, Rev. Thos. B. Brown assumed the pastorate, discharging
its duties for 23 years, when he resigned on account of declining health. The remaining two years of his life,
although he was unable to perform pastoral duties, brought no decrease of his interest in and love for the church
and its work. He was succeeded by M.S. Wardner who remained about three years. In November, 1882, Rev. Geo. W.
Burdick came here as pastor, and remained 11 years. He was succeeded by Rev. S.S. Powell, the present pastor, in
The deacons have been, George Potter, chosen in 1828; Jairus Crandall, Dennis Saunders and Peleg Babcock, chosen
in 1836; Joel Crandall and E.R. Crandall, chosen in 1856; Joel B. Crandall, chosen in 1876, and E.P. Burdick and
S.B. Coon in 1887. The meetings were held in the homes of the members until 1835, then in the schoolhouse until
the church was completed. The church was built in 1837 and 1838 at a cost of $2,400. It was dedicated in September,
1838, Rev.W.B. Gillette preaching the dedicatory sermon. In 1879 and 1880 the church was enlarged, remodeled and
reseated at an expense of $1,800. It has seating capacity for 300. In 1886 a parsonage was built, and two or three
years later a parsonage barn. The estimated value of the church property is $5,000. In
*Rev. Henry P. Green was born in Hopkinton, R.I., in 1828 he settled on the farm on Windfall Creek where his son,
T.H. Green now lives. His wife was Lucy Rogers. Children, Frances G. (Mrs. E.M. Crandall), Thomas H., Sarah A.
(Mrs. Leroy Crandall), Mary J. Mr. Green was, as a pastor, much reverenced and beloved as a man and citizen.-EDITOR.
1831 revival meetings were held, Elders W.B.Gillette, John Green, Matthew Stillman, Henry P. Green, Spencer Sweet
and others, took part. This resulted in the addition of some 25 members. In 1840 Elder Alexander Campbell conducted
revival meetings when 46 were added to the church. Again, in 1857, under the pastoral labors of Rev. T.B. Brown,
46 were added, and, in 1865 and 1866, 27 were added. In 1870 and 1871 Revs. A. H. Lewis and G.J. Crandall assisted
Pastor Brown in a series of meetings, when 63 united with the church. In 1878 Rev. A. H. Lewis was again called
for evangelistic labor, and 52 members were added. During the last ten years there have been frequent additions
to the membership, which consists of 187 resident and 44 non-resident members. A church prayer-meeting is held
on Third-day and Seventh-day evenings. Weekly collections are taken for the American Sabbath Tract Society, amounting
the past year to $111. The present officers are: pastor, Rev. S.S. Powell; deacons, E.R. Crandall; E.P. Burdick
and S.B. Coon, (also J.B. Crandall, non-resident); clerk , A.L. Maxson; chorister, Dr. O.E. Burdick; organist,
Miss M.E. Bowler. The Sabbath school was organized by Rev. James Bailey in 1848 or 1849, though previous to 1848
a Bible class had been held for a short period. Elder Bailey was the first superintendent. The school has at present
about 235 members with 11 teachers. The officers for 1894 were: M.E. Bowler, supt.; T.B. Burdick, assist. supt.;
Matt Coon, sec., Edna Hall, assist. sec., A.J. Crandall, treas.; O.E. Burdick, chorister; Alice Prindle, assist.
chorister; Nettie Wells, organist; Margaret Burdick, assist. organist.
THE YOUNG PEOPLE'S SOCIETY OF CHRISTIAN ENDEAVOR was organized in November, 1888, with 30 active and 30 associate
members. It now has 64 active and 24 associate members. The past year the society has raised $43 for evangelistic
and missionary work. A weekly prayer-meeting is held. In May, 1894, a Junior Y.P.S.C.E. was organized with 18 members.
THE SECOND SEVENTH DAY BAPTIST CHURCH of Genesee was organized in 1834, most of the constituent members withdrawing
from the first church for that purpose. Elder Henry P. Green was the first pastor, and Wm. Stillman and Rowland
Crandall the first deacons. The church services were held alternately at Ceres and East Portville, or Main Settlement,
for a few years, after that entirely at Main Settlement. About 1860 it disbanded and was reorganized in 1862 as
the Portville Seventh Day Baptist Church.
THE THRID SEVENTH DAY BAPTIST CHURCH, now the West Genesee Seventh Day Baptist church, located on Dodge's creek,
was organized with 12 members in 1834. In 1843 it was reorganized with these members, Edwin M. Crandall, John Sanders,
Ethan P. and Electa Crandall, Orenzo Coon. Lindon, Cornelia and Narcissa Crandall, Betsey Smith, Hannah Childs,
Sally Coon and Jane Reed. Rev. Henry P. Green was the first pastor. Revs. L.D. Ayers, P.S. Crandall, Z. Campbell,
C.A. Burdick, J.C. West, G.J. Crandall, S. Burdick, J.L. Huffman, W.B. Gillette, W.H. Ernst, G.P. Kenyon, E.A.
Witter and J.G. Burdick have served as pastors. The deacons have been Ethan P. Crandall, Arza Coon, James C. Brown,
David E. Yapp, Charles Wilbur, J. Marshall Crandall and James H. Crandall. Church services were held in the schoolhouse
until 1859, when the church was built at a cost of $1,600, and was dedicated in the fall of 1859, Rev. D.E. Maxson
preaching the dedication sermon. The present membership is 15 resident and 10 non-resident members. D.E. Yapp and
J.H. Crandall are deacons and J.H. Crandall is clerk. The Sabbath-school was organized January 1, 1867, with Rev.
G.J. Crandall as superintendent. It now has 16 members with one teacher. The officers are Mrs. A.K. Crandall secretary,
Bertha Lentz Treasure, A.K. Crandall chorister.
PHYSICIANS.-T he first one in
the town was Dr. Enoch Maxson who must have come as early as 1829 and was for several years the only physician
between Friendship and Olean. In the early forties he removed to Iowa. Since then there have been located in the
town Drs. Sheffield Green, Clark Bailey, Edwin Burdick and Henry P. Saunders at Little Genesee; R. P. Stevens,
C.D. Thompson, J.P. Boothe (for thirty years) Dorr Cutler, T. Ledyard, dentist, and perhaps others at Ceres. Of
Genesee's sons there have entered the medical profession: Dr. Stephen Maxson deceased; Drs. W.W. Crandall located
at Tellsville, J.C. Young at Cuba, H.R. Maxson at Nortonville, Kan., Delos Barber in California, A.E. Burdick at
Manistique, Mich., O.E. Burdick at Ceres, N.Y., and Byron Cranston at Rudolph, Ohio.
MILITARY LIST.- When, in 181,
the “War of the Rebellion” broke out , Genesee's “boys” with loyal patriotism responded to the call for troops.
With a population of 963 in 1860, 130 of Genesee's citizens entered the service during the war; several families
sending all their sons, numbering from one to five, and many families the husband and father to the defense of
the Union. We give the names and regiments as found in the town record:
EIGHTY-FIFTH N. Y..-Hiram A. Adams,
Everett Ackerman, Delos Barber, Edwin Beckwith, James S. Bissell, Gilbert Bixby, Jacob E. Brock, Addison A. Burdick,
Silas G. Burdick, Henry C. Coleman, J. Marshall Crandall, Marcus M. Crandall, Floyd M. Crandall, George H. Case,
Walter Crandall, Everett N. Crandall, Alphonso Childs, Joel B. Crandall, Lyman Deming, Edwin Doane, Edwin C. Foster,
Hiram Grow, Henry C. Hall, Arthur J. Hall, Milford D. Hall, Martin Hill, John Holly, Corydon Humprey, Geo. Hadwin
Irish, Wm. H. Jennings, Orson Lackey, Gurdon W. Lane, Ralph C. Langworthy, John Langworthy, Israel T. Lewis, Daniel
Loop, Edwin Lucas, Thomas U. Martin, Marshal L. Maxson, Marion M. Maxson, Henry R. Maxson, Phineas V. Maxson, Joseph
Maxwell, Horton M. Murphy, Isaac R. Parker, Wm. H. Perry, Hosea Palmer, Lyman O. Slade, Isaac R . Spencer, Wm.
H. Stillman, Joseph D. Stillman, Albino R. Stone, I. Howard Stone, Charles Velie, Jared Wales, Winfield S. Wells,
Fayette Withey, Phineas Woodmancy. TWENTY-SEVENTH N. Y.-Daniel B. Baxter, Charles Berry, William B. Bliss, Albert B. Champlin, Sebeus B. Coon,
Delos Cornwall, John H. Crandall, M. Stillman Cranston, Dudley Dennison, Joseph B. Howe, Warren W. Jaques, Lafayette
Jaques, Clinton R. Lewis, Henry D. Lewis, Winfield Quigley, Jerry K. Redding, John W. Stanton, George L. Utter,
Daniel G. Weymar. ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY-NINTH N. Y.
- Webster W. Cole, Joseph C. Cole, William Crandall, Thomas G. Crandall, Almond Robinson, Chandler R. Spencer.
ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY-EIGHT N. Y.-James
A. Swarthout, Henry D. Green. ONE HUNDRED FIFTY-FOURTH N. Y.-Martin V. Champlin, Augustus Franklin Keyes, Harris Lamb, Seymour Sykes, Wm. Spencer
Tift. ONE HUNDRED THIRTY-SIXTH N. Y.
- Andrew B. Brown, George H. Crandall, Frederick R. Spencer, Israel P. Spencer, W. Wallace Stannard. ONE HUNDRED NINTH N. Y. - Benj. Delmage, Palmer
Hewitt, Chas. Henry Wales. ONE HUNDRED FORTY-SEVENTH N. Y. - James M. Kellar. ONE HUNDRED THIRTY-THIRD N.
Y. - Orville P. Dana. ONE HUNDRED
FORTIETH N. Y. - Edgar W. Wells. ONE
HUNDRED FIFTH N. Y. - Julius J. Call. NINETY-EIGHTH
N. Y. - Phineas Woodmancy. SEVENTY-FIRST
N. Y. - Alvah S. Langley. FIFTY-SECOND
N. Y. - Orson F. Maxson. TWENTY-THIRD
N. Y. - Albert R. Crandall, James Hall, Morton L. Spencer, Frank M. Van
Wormer. SECOND N. Y. - Luther
J. Austin. FIRST N. Y. RIFLES.
- Wm. Nelson Maxson. TWELFTH N. Y. CAVALRY. - John S. Champlin, Lewis Champlin, Allen Squire Hanks, Orson F. Keyes,
Z. Prentice Maxson, Amos Parsons, H. Riley Smith. FIFTH N. Y. CAVALRY. - George R. Brown, Eli P. Brown. SECOND N. Y.
CAVALRY, -- Wm. Henry Hall. 108th PENN.-Wright C. White. 190th PENN.-Floyd Holly. 1st.
PENN. RIFLES.-L. Byron Danforth Chas. M. Austin. Regiment not given, Edward
McDonald, Geo. A. Whit ford, Morton D. Crandall. NAVY. - Dewane D. Babcock.
Of this number four were killed in Battle; Marcus M. Crandall and Orson Lackey at Fair Oaks, Martin V. Champlin
at Chancellorsville and Wm. N. Maxson at South Mountain. 14 suffered death at Andersonville; Addison A. Burdick,
James S. Bissell, J. Marshall Crandall, Alphonso Childs, Lyman Denning, Geo. Hadwin Irish, Orson F. Keyes, Gurdon
W. Lane, Joseph Maxwell, Hosea Palmer, Isaac R. Parker, Henry C. Rogers; Jared Wales, Chas. Henry Wales. Three
died at Florence after being transferred from Andersonville; Floyd M. Crandall, Marion M. Maxson and Wm. H. Jennings.
13 died in hospitals of wounds or disease: Everett Ackerman, Wm. B. Bliss, Andrew B. Brown, Eli P. Brown, Julius
J. Call, Lewis Champlin, Corydon Humphrey, Augustus F. Keyes, Edwin Lucas, Edward J. McDonald, Seymour Sykes, Chandler
R. Spencer, Phineas Woodmancy. George R. Brown died at home while on a furlough and Milford D. Hall died at Elmira
on his way home after being discharged at the close of the war. Many other “Genesee boys” who had been in employment
in other places long enough to gain residence there were also to be found in the ranks.
33 non-residents also represented the town, either as substitutes or in response to the towns offer of $300 for
each volunteer to fill the quota under the call of the President made Oct 17, 1863. Of most of these there is no
record except the names, which are: Wm. H. Brightman, Chas. Bennett, Wm. Brown, David Class, Daniel Carlos, David
Clark, Frank S. Dimond, John East, Alvin W. Kinney (who died at Andersonville), Henry Kirby, Richard Mattison,
Clem Langworthy, James McMann, Patrick McDonald, Chas. Malizen, Jas. S. McCarty, Michael McGreevy, Sam'l McIntyre,
Thos. McHenry, Edward Nichols, Louis Phillips, Samuel Pollock, Peter Rockafeller, Kingsley I. Snyder, Jas. Shawley,
Harmon Smith, Joseph Tarball, wm. H. Van Wormer, Franklin B. Woodhiser, Henry Winship, Ransom Winters, George Wakley,
The first town meeting was held at the house of Benj. Maxson, April 27, 1830. The first town officers were: Benj.
Maxson, supervisor; David Maxson, clerk; John Bell, Geo. W. Kenyon and Wm. Hooker, assessors; Jabez Burdick, collector;
Horace H. Wilson and Riverious Hooker, com. of highways; Joseph Maxson and Joseph Wells overseers of the poor;
Joel Crandall, Rowland Coon and Edwin Stillman, com. of common schools; Henry P. Green, Joel Maxson and Geo. W.
Kenyon, inspectors of common schools; Jabez Burdick, Norry Hooker and Daniel Carr, constables; Ethan Kenyon, Joel
Maxson, John L. Slayton and James Waterbury, justices.
SUPERVISORS. - Benj. Maxson, 1830;
Hiram Wilson, 1831, '32; Wm. P. Langworthy, 1833, '34, '35, '39, '40, '47; Daniel Edwards, 1836, '37, '38, '67,
'68; John Edwards, 1841; Asa A. Langworthy, 1842, '43, '44; Albert B. Crandall, 1845, '46, '52, '65, '66; Ralph
H. Adams, 1849, '50, '51, '53; Alonzo B. Coon, 1854, '63, '64; Alexander H. Main, 1855; Francis W. Prindle, 1856,
'57, '58; E.R. Crandall, 1859, '60, '87, '88; W.L. Bowler, 1861, '62; Walter Crandall, 1869, '70;A.N. Carpenter,
1871, '72; Thos. H. Green, 1873, '74; John J. Smith, 1875, '76, '89, '90; John H. Crandall, 1877, '78; Isaac Prosser,
1879, '80; H.A. Rose, 1881, '82; Foster S. Dickinson, 1883, '84; James H. Crandall, 1885, '86; Wm. R. Hill, 1891,
'92; Irwin S. Bellamy,1893, '94, '95.
OFFICERS FOR 1895.-Supervisor,
Irvin S. Belamy; clerk, Horace G. Prindle; justices, E.R. Crandall, C.A. Warner, Myron Irish, H.G. Prindle; assessors,
George D. Monger, Thos. H. Brown, James B. Gray; collector, C.S. Jaques; com. of highways, Edwin Howard; inspectors
of elections, Charles W. Fairbank, Thos. G. Crandall, E.B. Adams, E.R. Smith; constables, Welcome R. Maxson, Marcus
E. Slade, Cortland S. Jaques, Albert E. Yapp, John Holley; excise commissioners, Edwin C. Foster, Albert K. Crandall,
Joel P. Stillman.
Genesee has once, during the fifties, been represented in the state legislative halls, by A.H. Main, assemblyman.
There are seven school districts , to which is apportioned in 1896 $865.36, as follows: Dist. 1, $255.82; Dist.
2, $1.92; Dist. 3, $114.83; Dist. 4, $113.30; Dist. 5, $120.30; Dist. 6, $247.44; Dist. 7, $11.75.
2 SOMETHING OF THE PEOPLE. ]