HISTORY of HADLEY, NY
FROM OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A DESCRIPTIVE AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
SARATOGA COUNTY
NEW YORK
PREPARED AND PUBLISHED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF
THE SARATOGIAN
THE BOSTON HISTORY COMPANY, PUBLISHERS 1899




TOWN OF HADLEY.

Hadley is one of the most northerly towns of Saratoga county. It is bounded on the north and east by the county line, on the south by Corinth and on the west by Day. The town is defined as follows in the Revised Statutes:

The town of Hadley shall contain all that part of said county bounded, northerly and easterly, by the bounds of the county, southerly by Corinth, and westerly, by Day:

The surface of the town is rough and hilly and for the most part thickly wooded. The Kayaderosseras range occupies the southern part of the town. Mount Anthony (the iron mountain), its highest peak, lies in the southeastern part of Hadley. The Sacandaga river winds through the scuthern part. There are no lakes or other streams of importance in the town. The Adirondack railroad runs nearly north and south through the extreme eastern part of the town.

Richard Hilton, who came into the town in 1788, is reputed to have been the first settler in the town. Alexander Stewart came in 1790, Daniel Dayton in 1796 and Elijah Ellis in 1800. The latter built the first saw mill in town on the Sacandaga river. Jonathan Flanders had the first tavern.

Conklingville and Hadley are the only villages. The former is located on the Sacandaga in the western part of the town. It was founded in 1848 by Gurdon Conkling. It has several industries, the most important of which is the woodenware factory operated for many years by Benjamin Jenkins. Hadley lies at the mouth of the Sacandaga river, and is practically a part of the village of Luzerne in Warren county.

The Free-Will Baptist church of Hadley was organized in 1826, the Wesleyan Methodist church in 1844, the Conklingville Presbyterian church in 1854, St. John's Episcopal church of Conklingville in 1868. An Odd Fellows lodge was instituted at Conklingvile in 1851, and a lodge of Good Templars in 1869.

Hadley was formed from Greenfield in 1801, but then comprised the present towns of Hadley, Corinth and a part of Day. In 1819 it was reduced to its present dimensions. The supervisors of the town have been:

1801-14, Benjamin Cowles; 1815. Timothy Brown; 1816-18, Benjamin Cowles; 1819-33, Jeremy Rockwell; 1834, Charles Stewart; 1835, Jeremy Rockwell (died in office), Harmon Rockwell (appointed); 1836, Charles Stewart; 1837. David Stewart; 1838-45. Harmon Rockwell; 1846-47, William W. Rockwell; 1848-49, Harmon Rockwell; 1850, Jefferson Jeffers; 1851, Alexander K. Palmer; 1852, Manlius Jeffers; 1853-54, Robert Humphrey; 1855, David Wait; 1856, Jefferson Jeffers; 1857-58, Manlius Jeffers; 1859, Robert Humphrey; 1860, Alexander H. Palmer; 1861, John J. Wait; 1862, Gurdon Conklin, jr.; 1863, Manlius Jeffers; 1864, Gurdon Conklin, jr.; 1865-66, John J. Wait; 1887, William H. Palmer; 1868-69, Benjamin Pickens; 1870, Manlius Jeffers; 1871, William H. Palmer; 1872, Stewart Early; 1873-74, John A. Karhan; 1875, Lewis E. Wait; 1876, Darius Martin; 1877-78, John J. Wait; 1879, John A. Kathan; 1880-81, Edmund J. Wilcox; 1882, John A. Kathan; 1883-84, Charles H. Mills; 1885- 90, Monroe L. Kathan; 1891, Patrick T. Moynihan; 1892-98, Francis J. Dunn.

Following is a list of the town clerks since 1805:

1805-09, Daniel Church; 1810, Elisha Brace; 1811, John W. Taylor; 1812-13, Orlando Boardman; 1814-15, Elisha Wilson; 1816-18, Jeremy Rockwell; 1819-20, H. T. Carpenter; 1821-26, Henry Rockwell; 1827-28, Harmon Rockwell; 1829, David Stewart; 1830, Orange Dayton; 1831, George T. Rockwell; 1832-34, Harmon Rockwell; 1835, Hiram A. Perry, D. S. Graves; 1836, D. S. Graves; 1837-38, Peter Butler; 1839, Carmi Lindsay; 1840-41, N. M. Houghton; 1842-43, David Stewart; 1844-45, Truman D. Stewart; 1846, Daniel B. Ketchum; 1847-48, Manlius Jeffers; 1849, George Kenyon; 1850, Carini Lindsay; 1851-52, George Kenyon; 1853, John Cameron; 1854, David Wait; 1855-56, George Kenyon; 1857-58, Abner D. Wait; 1859, David Wait; 1860-61, Stephen Kenyon, jr.; 1862, George Kenyon; 1863-64. John J. Wait; 1865, Charles W. Reynolds: 1866, George Kenyon; 1867, Grove H. Moore; 1868, Martin H. Wilcox; 1869, A. J. Rockwell; 1870, Stephen Kenyon; 1871, John A. Kathan; 1872-73, Joseph E. Morris; 1874, William P. Bunnell; 1875, Warren Johnson; 1876, James F. Austin; 1877, Charles H. Mills; 1878-79, Clark Early; 1880, L. L. Quivey; 1881-83, Jacob C. Palmer; 1884-87, M. H. Wilcox; 1888, Albert Williams; 1889-90, P. P. Moynihan; 1891-92, B. S. Jenkins; 1893, J. C. Palmer; 1894-95, B. S. Jenkins; 1896-97, William Johnson; 1898, Willard Kathan.

The justices of the peace elected by the people since 1830 have been as follows:

1830, Joel Dayton; 1881, Stephen Gray (long term), Uriah H. Kendall (short term); 1832, Harmon Rockwell; 1833, Stephen Gray; 1834, Decalvas S. Graves; 1835, Uriah H. Kendall; 1836, David Stewart; 1837, Stephen Gray (long term), Thomas Frost (short term); 1838, Harmon Rockwell (long term), Thomas Frost (short term); 1839, Thomas Frost; 1840, David Stewart; 1841. Stephen Gray; 1842, Harmon Rockwell; 1843, Thomas Frost; 1844, David Stewart; 1845, John B. Aldrich; 1846, Ariel C. Loveless; 1847, Harmon Rockwell; 1848, Zina H. Cowles; 1849, Robert Humphrey (long term), Otis Kiblin (short term); 1850, Manlius Jeffers (long term), A. C. Loveless (short term); 1851, A. C. Loveless (long term), John Gilbert (short term); 1852, Harmon Rockwell; 1853, Robert Humphrey; 1854, Manlius Jeffers; 1855, John A. Kettell; 1856, Harmon Rockwell; 1857, Robert Humphrey (long term), George Kenyon (short term); 1858, Manlins Jeffers; 1859, Elijah Ellis; 1860, George Kenyon; 1861, Robert Humphrey; 1862, Manlius Jeffers; 1863, John A. Kettell (long term), A. H. Palmer (short term); 1864. Harmon Rockwell, L. D. Sabin (appointed); 1865, L. D. Sabin; 1866, Manlius Jeffers; 1867, C. Kennedy (long term), Mark Beattie (short term); 1868, George Kenyon; 1869, Lemuel D. Sabin; 1870, H. S. Jenkins (full term), J. Gilbert and D; Martin (vacancies); 1871, Harmon Rockwell (long term). A. H. Palmer (short term); 1872, George Kenyon (long term), John Johnson (short term); 1873, Solon Bingham; 1874, David H. Yates; 1875, M. H. Wilcox (long term), Mark Beattie (short term); 1876, Joseph Dunn (long term), Joel Loveless (short term); 1877, Solon Bingham (full term). J. Scoville and J. Gilbert (vacancies); 1878, E. George Dunklee (long term), Oliver Lawton (short term); 1879, George Ken yon; 1880, Oliver Lawton; 1881, Solon Bingbam; 1882, J. R. Scoville; 1883, George Kenyon; 1884, Oliver Lawton; 1885, E. George Dunklee; 1886, Solon Bingham; 1887, John A. Kathan; 1888, Oliver sLawton (long term), John A. Kathan (short term); 1889, George Kenyon; 1890, Solon Bingham; 1891, John A. Kathan (long term), Alexander H. Palmer (short term); 1892, Oliver Lawton; 1893, A. H. Palmer; 1894, John Hall, jr.; 1895, John A. Kathan; 1896, B. George Dunklee; 1898, E. J. Wilcox.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy