The Town of Hamilton.
Hamilton was set off from Paris on March 5, 1795, and received its name in honor
of Alexander Hamilton. It originally included Nos. 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the Twenty Townships, and was reduced to its
present limits by the erection of Eaton, Lebanon, and Madison in 1807. It lies on the south border of the county
east of the center and is bounded on the north by Madison, east by Brookfield, south by Chenango county, and west
by Lebanon. It contains nearly 24,000 acres, about 20,000 of which are improved. The surface is rolling or hilly,
broken by the valleys of the Chenango and its eastern branch; the former skirts the western boundary, and the latter
crosses the town from northeast to southwest and unites with the main river at Earlville. These streams have numerous
smaller tributaries. The town is wholly covered with the Hamilton group of rocks which have been quarried somewhat
extensively for building and other purposes. The soil is rich and productive, consisting of sandy and gravelly
loam. The old Chenango Canal crosses the northwest and southwest corners of the town. The Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna
Valley Railroad, now a branch of the D., L. and W., follows the valley of the east branch of the Chenango across
the town, through a fertile region. The Utica, Clinton and Binghamton Railroad crosses the northwest corner of
the town through Hamilton village, connecting at Smith's Valley with the New York, Ontario and Western road, and
is also a part of the D., L. and W. system.
The first settlement was made on the east branch of the Chenango near Earlville in the spring of 1792 by John Wells,
Abner Nash, Patrick W. Shields, and John Muir, who came in company. Reuben Ransom settled in 1793 and Samuel Payne,
Theophilus and Benjamin Pierce in 1794. Jonathan Olmstead, Daniel Smith, Joseph Foster, James Cady, and Elisha
Payne in 1795. Other early settlers were William Pierce, brother of Theophilus and Benjamin, David Dunbar, Dan
Throop, Col. Bigelow Waters, Charles Otis, Reuben Foote, Ezra Fuller, George Bigsby, James Williams, Samuel Stower,
William Hatch, Calvin Ackley, the Nash family, Stephen and Daniel Brainard, Ebenezer Colson, Roswell and Lucas
Craine and another brother, William Lord, Andrew Beach, and many others who have been mentioned more in detail
in early chapters and in Part III.
The first town meeting for Hamilton was held at the house of Elisha Payne, where the following officers were elected:
Joshua Leland, supervisor; Elijah Blodgett, clerk; Samuel Clemons, Samuel Berry, Simeon Gillet, jr., Luther Waterman
and Elisha Payne, assessors; James Collister, David Hartshorn John Barber, and Elijah Hayden, constables and collectors;
Joshua Smith and William McCrellis, poormasters; Josiah Brown, Samuel Payne and Ephraim Blodgett, commissioners
of highways; Stephen F. Blackstone, William McClanathan, John H. Morris, Isaac "Amedown," Samuel Brownell,
Augustus W. Bingham, Bigelow Waters, Abner Nash, Nathaniel Collins and Theophilus Pierce, pathmasters; Nicanor
Brown, Samuel "Sincler," (St. Clair), Benjamin Pierce and David Felt, fence viewers; Henry W. Bond, poundkeeper.
The first school commissioners elected, in 1796, were Samuel Payne, Elijah Blodgett, and under the act of the Legislature
of June 19, 1812, for the establishment of common schools, John Kennedy, Daniel A Brainard, and Reuben Ransom were
chosen school commissioners, and Roswell Craine, Abraham Payne, Erastus Daniels, and Nathaniel Stacy, inspectors
Following is a list of supervisors of the town from its incorporation to the present time, with their years of
service: 1795-96, Joshua Leland; 1797-98, Luther Waterman; 1799-1801, Reuben Ransom; 1802-06, Erastus Cleveland;
1807-16, Reuben Ransom; 1817, Jonathan Olmstead; 1818-25, Thomas Dibble; 1826-29, Lucas Craine; 1830, Benjamin
Bonney; 1831, Lucas Craine; 1832-37, William Lord; 1838, Amos Crocker; 1839-40, Charles G. Otis; 1841, Thomas Dibble;
1842- 43, John Muzzy; 1844, no record; 1845, John Muzzy; 1846-47, Thomas J. Hubbard; 1848, William G. Brainard;
1849, Calvin Loomis; 1850-53, Charles Green; 1854, John J. Foote; 1855, Omri Willey; 1856, John J. Foote; 1857-58,
Abner W. Nash; 1859, James H. Dunbar; 1860-61, Linus H. Miller; 1862-67, Nathan Brownell, jr.; 1868-70, Zenas L.
Fay; 1871-75 Clark R. Nash; 1876-91, Melvin Tripp; 1892-93, H. Clay Ackley; 1894-95, Le Roy Nash; 1896-98, H. Clay
The population of Hamilton, according to the census taken in various years is shown in the following figures:
1835 1840 1845 1850 1855 1860 1865 1870 1875 1880 1890 1892
4,022 3,738 3,878 3,599 3,737 3,894 3,434 3,687 3,711 3,912 3,923 4.110
The town was divided into school districts early in the century and for many years the number has been seventeen;
previous to that for some years there was one less. At the present time the town, with Brookfield, De Ruyter, Eaton,
Georgetown, Lebanon, Madison and Nelson constitutes the First Commissioner's district of the county. There are
119 districts under this commissioner, of which Hamilton has seventeen, two of which are joint districts with Sherburne.
For the school year ending 1897 there were twenty-eight teachers employed and the whole number of pupils attending
was 822. In 1853-4 a Union school district was formed of the three districts in Hamilton village, which is fully
described in Chapter XXIV.
This town has always been one of the foremost in hop growing, but in recent years,
as in most of the towns, this industry has been somewhat neglected in favor of dairying, to which the soil and
water are admirably adapted. Large quantities of milk are shipped to market from the several railroad stations
where milk stations have been estab lished.
Hamilton Village.- This is the largest village in the town of Hamilton, and is a beautiful and active place. It
is situated in the Chenango valley, which here widens into a beautiful and fertile plain. It includes within its
limits lots 1, 2, 19 and 20 of the fourth of the Twenty Townships, which occupy the northwest corner of the town.
The village was incorporated April 12, 1816, but the early records were to some extent lost and the remainder by
the great fire of 1895, with the town records, were almost destroyed. Although kept in a fireproof safe, the latter
fell into a large cistern and the water rendered most of the writing illegible, causing an irreparable loss. The
first completely preserved record that was in existence previous to the fire was dated May 2, 1819, at which time
Thomas Cox was president of the village; William Pierce, 2d, Esek Steere and Thomas H. Hubbard, trustees; and J.
Foote, clerk. Proceedings of - the various boards of trustees, if they were available, would doubtless supply interesting
facts, even though they were not of paramount importance.
The earliest mercantile operations in Hamilton were probably the stores of Charles Clark and Joseph Colwell, who
located there while they were young men about 1800. James Dorrance joined Clark in business about 1805, and Charles
T. Deering afterwards traded in the same place. Other early merchants were Esek Steere, Henry M. Graves, Samuel
Dascom, Lewis B. Goodsell, Joseph Mott, John Foote and his on JohnJ., Benjamin F. Bonney, James K. Welton, O. L.
Woodruff, Robert Patterson, Orr F. Randolph, Melvin Tripp, W. K. Lippitt, J. M. Banning & Co., John Harmon,
Joseph L. Kelly, James Thompson, A. B. B. Campbell, Burnap & Fairchild, A. W. Bartle, E. E. Enos, McMorrow
& Co., F. N. Tompkins, James L. Bright, J. P. Butler and possibly a few others.
The present merchants of the village are the following: Charles S. Orvis, dry goods; George B. Sperry, dry goods,
carpets, etc.; Hamilton & Co., Beal & Beebe and Elmer C. Root, druggists; J. F. Rogers, Beal & Beebe,
Mrs. John J. Abel & Co., Elmer C. Root, L. M. Royce, A. J. Newton, E. B. Sheldon, John Brown and M. W. Wilcox,
grocers; Charles G. Gulbran and A. N. Smith, hardware; Matterson & Tooke, harness and carriages; J. B. Grant
and A. H. Stock, books and stationery; Carl Baum & Sons, A. B. Lewis & Son and F. Piotrow, clothing; L.
M. Royce, crockery; N. R. Wickwire, flour and feed; Rowlands & Beal, furniture and undertaking; Mrs. M. E.
Grosvenor, millinery; Van Vleck & Baker, marble and granite; George F. Blum, Charles B. Sanford, F. N. Tompkins
and Herbert Tompkins, jewelry; Mrs. J. G. Abel & Co., variety store; D. M. Fairchild, florist; C. W. Lamphere,
The industries of the village comprise several blacksmiths, the foundry of Frank Wilcox, the mills and wood working
plant of the Hamilton Lumber Company, the machine shop of Dwight Graham, several shoemakers, wagonmakers, etc.
The Park Hotel was built soon after 1800 by Artemas Howard who kept it many years. The house is still in existence
with several additions, and W. G. Lippitt, proprietor. The Eagle Hotel was built in 1834 by a stock company; it
had many proprietors, but in recent years has been closed. The Maxwell House was built in 1895 and opened by M.
F. Maxwell; he was succeeded by his widow and she by John Keegan, the present proprietor.
The Hamilton Bank began business in 1853 with the following directors: Adon Smith, John Mott, Alvan Pierce, Henry
Tower, Lewis Wickwire, Delos De Wolf, John J. Foote, Artemas Osgood, Smith Mott, D. B. West, Alonzo Peck, William
Cobb, and William Felt. The first president, Adon Smith; cashier, D. B. West. The institution was organized as
a national bank May, 1865, with its present title. The present officers are Gen. William M. West, president; Adon
N. Smith, vicepresident; Leroy Fairchild, cashier.
The Hamilton Republican was founded by Nathaniel King. under the original title of The Madison Farmer, in 1828,
With many changes of ownership it still continues as one of the leading country newpapers of the State. The present
proprietors of the establishment are H. H. Hawkins, of the Waterville Times, and F. M. Elliott, of Hamilton.
The Hamilton Recorder was started in 1817 by John G. Stower and Dr. Peter B. Havens; it was removed to Morrisville
in 1829 and was merged with the Madison Observer, which is elsewhere noticed. The Civilian was started in July,
1830, by Lauren Dewey; it was discontinued the following year. The Hamilton Courier was founded in 1834 by G. R.
Waldron and lived until 1838. In that year the Hamilton Palladium began its career of six years. In 1839 G. R.
Waidron started the Hamilton Eagle, which did not long survive. The Democratic Reflector was established in 1842
by Mr. Waidron and Wallace W. Chubbuck; after several changes it was merged with the Madison County Journal, which
was started in 1849 by B. F. & C. B. Gould, and the name was changed to the Democratic Republican, as above
The Democratic Union was started in October, 1856, by Levi S. Backus, and in the following year it was removed
to Oneida and is noticed in connection with the history of that place. The Independent Volunteer was started in
July, 1863, by George R. Waldron and J. M. Chase, and issued simultaneously here and at Morrisville. In 1866 the
name was changed to the Democratic Volunteer and it was continued until the fire.
The churches of Hamilton comprise the First Baptist, which was organized in 1796, and the first meeting house was
erected in 1810. Two others have been built, the first in 1819 and the other in 1843. In 1819 the Second Baptist
Church was organized in the east part of the town by members dismissed from the first church.
The Congregational Church was organized in 1828 and the first house of worship was built on the present site in
the same year. This was burned in 1851 and the second structure was finished in 1853; it was greatly improved in
1871. Pastor, Rev. Lathrop C. Grant.
St. Thomas' Episcopal Church was organized in 1835. The present church was built in 1846-47. Present rector, Rev.
Frank P. Harrington.
A Methodist Church was formed here in early years, of which there is no available record. For many years prior
to 1836 the society worshiped in a small chapel two miles northeast of the village. The present edifice stood on
the corner of John and Charles streets many years and was removed to its present site in 1867.
St. Mary's Catholic Church was organized in 1869, between which date and 1878, various tracts of land were purchased
adjacent to each other. A frame structure was erected on the site, which was blown down within a few years. The
corner stone of the beautiful stone edifice was laid in 1875. The present pastor is Rev. J. V. MacDonnell.
The schools and college in this village are adequately described in another place in this work.
The fire department in Hamilton, as far as shown by records, was first formally organized by the appointment of
a fire company on May 19, 1832, consisting of seventeen members. From that small beginning the department was gradually
increased to its present magnitude. The department of to-day was organized in 1873, and is at the present time
under reorganization to adapt it to the new water supply system. On February 19, 1895, nearly the whole of the
business part of the village was destroyed by fire, as elsewhere more fully described. Since that time the water
works have been installed on the gravity plan, the supply being pumped into a stand pipe of 200,000 gallons capacity,
giving a pressure in the mains of 100 pounds. This assures the best protection from fire in future. The works are
owned and operated by the village government. A modern electric lighting plant has also been established, under
control of the authorities, by which streets and buildings are adequately illuminated. The present commissioners
who have the immediate charge of both of these plants are William M.West, president; James M. Taylor, secretary;
Melvin Tripp, treasurer.
A Village Improvement Association was formed in 1884, with about twenty members, which is still in existence, and
which has accomplished much in beautifying streets, parks, and other public places. The present officers are B.
F. Bonney, president; Melvin Tripp, vice-president; Le Roy Fairchild, treasurer; B. P. Sisson, secretary.
Earlville has suffered seriously in the past from destructive fires. The greatast of these took place August 23,
1886 when most of the business part of the village and many dwellings were destroyed. This fire started in Kinney's
hotel barn. Another fire occurred four years later which burned many of the principal business establishments.
On March 28, 1894, a third destructive conflagation took place, burning a number of the largest business places;
it was caused by lightning. After the first fire the village was rebuilt, mainly of wood, and many of the new structures
were destroyed by the second and third fires. The present village is largely built of brick in its central part.
Brown's Hotel, as it was long known, was built about 1836 by Oran H. Waite. Nicanor Brown purchased it in January,
1868, and conducted the house ten years and was succeeded by his sons, Lyman and Frank Brown. The hotel was burned
in the first fire and rebuilt and during eleven years past has been conducted by Fay Sawdy, as the Sawdy House.
The Earlville House was built in 1833 by Gardner Waters. On May 1, 1868, it was bought by William H. Jones who
kept it until his tragic death, July 5, 1876, when his widow succeeded, who subsequently sold to Hoyt Kinney. Five
years later he sold to Edward D. Avery who now conducts it as the Avery House. The East End Hotel was built in
1897; A. M. Sly is the present proprietor. The West End Hotel was built in 1889 by Nicanor Brown who sold to Albert
Bennett in 1897.
An early industry in the village was the tannery established in 1851 by a Mr. Merrills. He sold it before its completion
to W. K. Nash. After nine years in his possession he sold to J. C. Torrey who conducted it seven years and was
succeeded by his brother, N. W. Torrey and G. P. Wilson. Mr. Wilson sold his interest to his partner, who carried
on the business alone. The building was burned in the first fire, it having been idle for some time. On the site
of this tannery was a still earlier one, built about the beginning of the war of 1812 by Jared Pardee.
The Earlville grist and saw mills were built in 1839 by William Felt, who operated them twenty-seven years; he
died in 1866 and left the property to William Babcock, son of Thomas, who had been miller during the whole period.
The mills are still in existence and the building occupied by the Parsons Low-down Wagon Works. This industry was
established in 1887 by J. R. Parsons and was incorporated in 1891 with capital stock of $50,000. In 1898 the company
was transformed into a private industry.
The Earlville Furniture Works were established by S. Bentley, E. C. Bently and G. D. Bentley in 1886; they were
from New Berlin where members of the family had previously been engaged in the manufacture of furniture. The present
buildings were erected in 1892. The firm failed in 1896 and the plant is idle.
The C. L. Cotton Perfume and Extract Company originated with C. L. Cotton, a former druggist of the village, in
1878. In that year he began the manufacture of extracts and later added perfumes to his output. The present stock
company was incorporated in 1893, with a nominal capital stock of $50,000. Five traveling salesmen are employed
and several hands in the plant. Board of directors- C. L. Cotton, president; Henry G. Green, vice president; F.
E. Williams, secretary and treasury; F. C. Devallant, H. C. Allen.
J. N. Holmes carries on a wagon shop and J. D. Washburn has a carriage and blacksmith shop. A milk station is operated
at the railroad depot by the McDermott-Bunger Co., at which about 7,000 pounds of milk are taken daily.
The Arnold Furniture Manufacturing Company removed from Fayetteville in 1890 and built the present factory. Desks
and book cases are made, employing about thirty men. Officers of the company are L. S. Arnold, president; H. C.
Allen, vice-president; L. W. Arnold, secretary and treasurer.
The first merchants in the village were Marvin Tanner and Henry Waters who were in business before 1840. Other
early merchants were Orange Waite, Sidney B. Webb, Thomas Kershaw, Higgins & Hendrick, Horace A. Campbell,
Webb & Kershaw, Henry R. Long, Spen cer and Ely Willis, Charles G. Otis, Job Collins, Otis B. Howe, Benjamin
F. Skinner, Wolcott Leavenworth, Charles Billings, Nicanor Brown, E. Volney Chapin, William O. Bancroft and perhaps
a few others. The present merchants of the village are as follows: Cushman & Brainard, C. W. Smith, R. H. Williamson,
Casety & Miller, and R. P. Hall, general stores; F. C. Buell, L. W. Farr, and F. D. Morgan, hardware; Jennings
& Taylor, confectionery and cigars (wholesale); L. L. Sawdy, meats; Eugene Pierce, harness; A. M. Hoadley,
clothing; N. L. Douglass, drugs; J. L. Rowe, groceries, etc.; Todd & Gurney, lumber, etc.; C. F. Foster, furniture
and undertaking; George E. Bergen, jewelry. Parker Newton and S. B. Cloyes carry on the insurance business in the
The First National Bank of Eariville was incorporated December 15, 1890, with capital stock of $50,000. The first
officers were H. G. Green, president; George B. Whitmore, vice-president; G. H. Clark, cashier. George E. Nash
is now vice-president, the other officers remaining the same.
It is not now known just when the post-office was established here, but it was as early as 1824. Dr. Consider H.
Stacy was the first postmaster. An earlier office had been open a half mile north of Eariville, near the old tannery,
where James B. Eldridge kept a tavern. Recent postmasters, beginning with 1880 have been C. L. Cotton, Newell Douglass,
I. W. Rowe, L. K. Nash, B. B. Wilcox, and S. B. Cloyes, incumbent.
The Earlville Recorder, a weekly newspaper, was started December 9, 1876, by Frank W. Godfred, who continued it
only a few weeks. The Enterprise was founded April 5, 1878, by Eugene M. Lansing. The paper was ably conducted
and was repeatedly enlarged. It was ultimately discontinued. The Earlville Standard was established in 1886 by
L. D. Blanchard, who sold it to Burch & Briggs in November, 1895. It is an independent weekly.
The present attorneys of the village are S. B. Cloyes and E. N. Cushman. The first lawyer in the village was probably
Joseph Whitmore, who settled here in 1846 and a few years later removed to Michigan; other attorneys were Alfred
Nichols and Ernest C. Dart. The present physicians are H. H. White and Earl Wilcox; Dr. D. B. Payne is the dentist.
Joseph Stowell was an early physician here and others of the past were Drs. Consider H. Stacy, James Sheffield,
Laban Tucker, D. Ransom, A. S. Nichols, Dr. Babcock, J. A. Ressegieu, Hull S. Gardner, Andrew S. Douglass, and
possibly a few others.
Profiting by the lessons of the past, an excellent fire department is maintained comprising three companies- Douglass
Hose Company, Cotton Hose Company and a hook and ladder company. The use of engines is not necessary since 1894,
when a complete water supply system was established, with a pressure on hydrants of about 100 pounds. An electric
lighting system was established in 1894 by the Parsons Lowdown Wagon Company, and the village is lighted from that
plant. Eariville was incorporated in 1887.
The First Baptist Church in Sherburne is located at Earlville, and was organized in June, 1802, with fifteen members.
The first meeting house was built on the hill east of Earlville in 1818 and the second one in 1835. This was removed
to the south side of Main street and remodeled into an opera house. The present handsome church was erected in
The Methodist Church of Earlville was originally a class formed in 1802. The first society was formed in 1815,
and measures were at once adopted to raise money for a meeting house. The building was erected in 1816 and was
extensively repaired and improved in 1871. This was burned in the great fire and the present edifice was erected
The Episcopal Church of Eariville was organized in 1877 and the house of worship erected in the same year. It is
a mission station.
Poolville.- This is a small village and post-office on the east branch of the Chenango a little southwest of the
center of the town, and a station on the Utica, Clinton and Susquehanna branch of the D., L. & W. Railroad.
The place takes its name from a family named Pool who settled here in early years, among whom was Abijah Pool,
the pioneer, who came about 1810, with his sons Abijah and Isaac. Relatives of this family came in later. Abijah
located midway between Earlville and Poolville and established a carding and cloth-dressing factory. Gideon Randall
Pool, cousin of Isaac, became a partner in the business and it was transferred to Poolville in 1825. The post.office
was opened in 1830. The old carding mill was closed in 1835. The same kind of business was re.established by Nathan
B. Eaton, who also started a store and an ashery; he failed about 1850. The Eaton woolen mill was originally a
grist mill and after Eaton's failure, was again used for that purpose by Elihu Thompson and William G. Brainard.
This mill is now operated by George W. Berry. On the same dam was a saw mill which was owned by various persons
and was finally demolished.
A tannery was built in 1831 by Loomis, Lowd & Co., which, after various changes, passed to Henry Berry in 1855;
the building is now in use as a cold storage warehouse by George W. and Frank 0. Berry, Sons of Henry.
Enos Wood established a machine shop in 1830, which was removed to Pierceville in 1835.
A milk station is located at the railroad under control of the Empire State Dairy Company, with H. J. Spencer,
local manager. About 8,000 pounds of milk are taken daily.
A hotel was built in 1832 by Samuel Pool, which was burned in 1879. F. H. Kinney built another on the same site
which also burned. The present hotel was built in 1884-85 by Dr. C. D. Green and is now conducted by his widow.
The Railroad Hotel was built in 1868 by Andrew Forbes. It had several different proprietors, and was burned April
The Methodist Church of Poolville was organized between 1850 and 1860, and the house of worship was built soon
after. The building was repaired in 1869 and again in recent years. The present pastor is Rev. Mr. Knapp, who also
has charge of the church at East Hamilton. A Universalist society at Poolville was organized by the members of
the church at Hubbardsville, with Rev. Mr. Ballou as first pastor. The meeting house was erected in 1886.
One of the first merchants here succeeding Mr. Eaton, before mentioned, was George E. Nash, who began in 1860,
in company with H. H. Kinney, whose interest he purchased two years later. Mr. Nash is still in business and for
many years past has been postmaster.
Cook & Dunham keep a general store, succeeding J. M. Jennings; he was, preceded by D. W. Hyland, who began
trade in 1885. There are the usual small shops in the village.
Hubbardsville.- This is a small village situated on the Chenango in the northeast part of the town and is a post-office
and station on the D., L. & W. Railroad. It derives its name from Calvin Hubbard, who settled there about 1813.
He operated an early tannery and distillery and died at an advanced age. The first merchant here was Ephraim Chamberlain,
who was in trade before 1825; other early merchants were Sherebiah S. Hunt and Elias K. Hart, Charles Green, Gideon
Manchester, Nathan Peck, Clark R. Nash, William T. Manchester, Dr. Julius Nye, Francis G. Shepardson, C. D. Nash,
Nathan Brownell and his son, Nicanor, John 0. Wallace and others. There are at the present time two general stores,
one of which is conducted by D. D. Livermore and the other by Wilmer Rhodes. H. J. Kinney sells meat and Ellsworth
Dart has a blacksmith shop.
The Dunbar Mills were built in 1850 by James H. Dunbar and Charles Blanchard, on the site of an earlier mill. They
are now operated by W. M. Jennings. A hotel is kept at the station by John Green. The post-office here was established
in 1849 by removal from East Hamilton, and retained that name until 1856, when it was changed to Hubbard's Corners.
William T. Manchester was the first postmaster and William T. Rhodes is the present incumbent.
The first Universalist Church at Hubbardsville was organized in 1808 and built their meeting house in 1833-34.
East Hamilton.- A small settlement which was known many years as Coichester Settlement, is situated about a mile
south of Hubbardsville, on the east side of the river. It was one of the points at which it was proposed in the
first decade of the century as the site of the county seat. There was at that time considerable business carried
on here, which has mostly passed away. A general store is kept by Chauncey Munson, a hotel by Frank Kinney, a restaurant
by Frank Cummings, and there are two blacksmiths, Elliott Fitch and Stephen Underdown.
South Hamilton is a settlement in the southeast part, where there is a post-office with Samuel B. Munson postmaster,
a grist mill, a saw mill and a few shops.
The vicinity of the center of the town, which has been known as Hamilton Center, has no business interests, but
was chosen in early years, according to the prevailing custom, as the site of the First Congregational Church,
which was built here in 1800. The society was incorporated as the Second Congregational Society of Hamilton in
1798. The building was removed to Poolville about 1842 and finally was transformed into dwellings.
The Second Baptist Church of Hamilton was organized in 1819 and the meeting house erected a mile southeast of Poolville.
The meeting house was built in 1835.