FRANKFORT, named in honor of Lawrence Frank, an early settler, was formed from German Flats, February 5, 1796.
In the formation of Oneida County, in 1798, it was divided and a part annexed to Deerfield. It lies on the west
border of the County, south of the Mohawk. The surface is a.broad intervale, rising into hills of moderate elevation
on the south-west border, the highest points being about 500 feet above the river. The Mohawk flows south-east,
on the north border. The streams are small brooks and creeks. The soil on the uplands is a clayey and slaty loam
and on the fiats an alluvial loam. In the south-west part are several limestone ledges, the most important of which
is the Horsebone Ledge. The stone is whitishand makes excellent lime. Slate and calciferous sandstone are found
in some places.
Frankfort, (p. v.) located in the north-east part, contains four churches, two hotels, a woolen factory, a grist
mill, a saw mill, a distillery, a match factory, several carriage shops and the usual number of mechanic shops
of various kinds, and about 1,000 inhabitants.
The manufacture of friction matches is extensively carried on at this place. The main building is 56 by 58 feet
and two and a half stories high. There are two other buildings, one 26 by 84 feet, the other 24 by 84 and two stories
high. There are ten other buildings used for various purposes. The works are driven by water and give employment
to about 300 hands, two-thirds of whom work in and about the shops, and the others at their homes. The lumber is
all kiln dried, arid there are used annually 700,000 feet of white pine, 250,000 feet of basswood and 50,000 feet
of spruce. About 800 gross per day are manufactured, and about $300,000 per year are paid to the Governmant for
stamps. The business was commenced by Mr. Wm. Gates, the proprietor, in 1847, but did not attain its present dimensions
This town was settled previous to the Revolution, by German families, along the river. Jacob Folts was the first
settler and located on lot 3, Burnetsfield Patent. Among the other early settlers were Conrad Folts, Andrew Piper,
David Dederick, Aaron James, ____ Morgan, Evan Evans, ioseph Harris, John Morris, Moses Myers and Adam Webber.
Several Welsh families settled about 1800.
The first inn was kept by John Myers, in 1795; the first saw mill was built by John Hollister, in 1794, and the
first grist mill by Adam J. Campbell, in 1808. -
The Methodist Church was organized in 1849 with a membership of twenty; Rev. Jesse Penfield was the pastor. For
several years previous to this, meetings had been held in the school house and in the public halls, but a small
brick church was erected soon after the organization at a cost of $2,000. This house having become too small for
the society, a new one was erected and dedicated June 8th, 1869. The size is 42 by 75 feet, including a small projection
for steeple, and cost $15,000. The number of members is
120. Rev. B. F. Barker is the present pastor.
The Universalist Society was formed under the occasional preaching of Rev. Doiphus Skinner, D. D., previous to
1844, when a framed church was erected at a cost of about $2,000. In 1849 Rev. Richard Eddy organized a Church.
Since that time the Church has had several different pastors, and at intervals no preaching. In 1866 Rev. D. Ballou
reorganized the Church with fortytwo members. The church edifice has since been repaired, and the Sabbath school
and the membership of the Church have been considerably increased. Rev. Willis Harrison Grigsby is the present
The population of the town in 1865 was 3,087; its area is 21,023 acres.