SALISBURY, named from Salisbury, Connecticut, the former residence of many of the first settlers, was formed from
Palatine, Montgomery County, March 3, 1797, and annexed from Montgomery County, April 7, 1817. It lies on the east
border of the County and extends north into the great wilderness. The surface is a broken and mountainous upland
in the north, and hilly in the south. Only a small part is cultivated. The principal streams are East Canada Creek,
which forms a part of the east boundary, and Spruce Creek, which flows through the south-west and south parts.
The soil is a sandy and clayey loam. A bed of iron ore has been worked to some extent on lot 105, fourth allotment
of the Royal Grant, about three miles north of Salisbury center.
Salisbury Center, (p. v.) situated on Spruce Creek, contains two churches, viz., Methodist and Baptist; a hotel,
two stores', a grist mill, two saw mills, a peg factory, capable of doing $40,000 worth of business annually, and
about 300 inhabitants.
Salisbury Corners, (Salisbury p. o.) contains two churches, viz., Baptist and Presbyterian; a hotel, a store, a
blacksmith shop, a wagon shop and about 100 inhabitants.
Devereaux, upon East Canada Creek, contain two hotels, two stores and about a dozen dwellings.
This town includes part of' the Jerseyfield Patent and parts of the first, second and fourth allotments of the
Royal Grant, and was settled by tenants of Sir William Johnson before the Revolution. Tracts of land in this town
were assigned by Sir William to several of his Indian children. As most of the settlers upon the Royal Grant adhered
to the King during the war, their lands were forfeited to the Government. Daniel Lobdell and several sons lived
in the western part of the town, and went to Canada, where one of them was the servant of a British officer. After
his return to the United States he was pensioned for services in the ware It would be quite entertaining to learn
how he proved his services renderedto the colonies. John Faville and Cornelius Lamberson settled near Burrill's
Corners about 1788, and Asa Sheldon and Abijah Ford about 1793. Abial Pratt, Stephen Todd, Jabez Ayers, Jonathan
Cole, ____ Bidwell, Ira Bartholomew, Atwater Cook, Amos Ives, Moses DeWitt, Jonathan Hallet, ____ Low and others,
were early settlers. Rev. Caleb Alexander, who visited the place in 1801, says the population was 1,694.
The first birth was that of John Ford; the first school was taught by Elizabeth Rice, and the first inn and store
were kept by Aaron Hackler.
The population of the town in 1865 was 2,123; its area is 68,640 acres.
There are fourteen school districts, employing the same number of teachers. The number of children of school age
is 797; the number attending school, 596; the average attendance, 273, and the amount expended for school purposes
during the year ending September 30, 1868, was $3,196.53.