WARREN, named in honor of General Joseph Warren, who fell at the battle of Bunker Hill, was formed from German
Flats, February 5, 1796. Columbia was taken off in 1812. it lies centrally on the south border of the County. The
surface is hilly, the highest points being from 500 to 800 feet above the Mohawk. The principal stream is Fish
Creek, which flows south and is bordered by steep banks from 100 to 200 feet high. Mud Lake, in. the east, and
Weaver's and Young's Lakes, in the south, and small bodies of water. The soil is a sandy and clayey loam. There
are two small sulphur springs in town.
Jordanville, (p. v.) situated a little north of the center, contains two churches, viz., Methodist and Baptist;
two stores, a public hall, several mechanic shops and about forty dwellings.
Little Lakes (Warren p. o.) contains a church, a hotel, a store, a carriage shop, several other shops of various
kinds and twenty-five dwellings. Near this place is the saw mill and horse-rake factory of W. R. Wall; the mill
cuts about 100,000 feet annually and about fifty rakes are made for the retail trade.
Warren Cheese Factory makes 90,000 pounds annually.
The cheese Factory at Warren Center, owned. by Daniel Tilden, turns out about 100,000 pounds annually.
Wetherbee's Mills are located in the south-west part of the town. The grist mill contains four runs of stones and
grinds 50,000 bushels annually; the saw mill cuts about 200,000 feet annually.
In the north-west part of the town is an estate of 1500 acres owned by Mrs. H. D. Cruger, of New York. A mansion
house and thirteen tenant houses are upon the farm, called the Henderson Home.
Settlements were commenced here previous to the Revolution, by Germans from the upper valley. Andrustown and the
Little Lakes were the principal points occupied. Andrustown was plundered and burned by Brant in July, 1778; a
part of the inhabitants were killed and others carried into captivity. Youngs Settlement at the Lakes was spared
on account of the Tory principles. of the proprietor; but the Americans soon after plundered and burned the place
In March, 1792, Samuel Cleland, from Colchester, Massachusetts, came into this town and settled with his family.
This was the first New England family that immigrated to this place. Mr. Cleland's five sons, Norman, Salmon, Jonas,
Martin and Moses, settled here at the same time. Danforth Abbott, Hugh Panell, Amos Allen, Elder Phineas Holcomb,
Richard Schooley Hull, Thomas, James and Garret Abeel and ____ Thayer, were early settlers.
Stephen Luddington kept the first inn, Outhout & Vrooman the first store, and Isaac Freeman built the first
grist mill, in 1795.
Mr. Cleland settled near Andrustown, and near the ruins of a dwelling he found the bones of a man, which he buried.
These were supposed to be the bones of a Mr. Bellinger, who escaped to his house when the settlement was burned
by the Tories and Indians during the Revolution, and preferred to meet death by burning in his dwelling rather
than fall into the hands of the Indians, to suffer captivity, torture and death at their hands, as did many of
the early settlers of Herkimer County.
Elder Phineas Holcomb was the first settled minister about 1793. A Baptist Church was organized at Jordanville
in 1799; a Methodist Church at Little Lakes in 1854, and a Reformed Church in the north part in 1831.
The population of the town in 1865 was 1,611; its area is 23,405 acres.