TOWN OF HOLLAND.
The town of Holland is situated on the east line of Erie county, near the southeast
corner, with Wales on the north, Colden on the west and Sardinia on the south. The town was formed April 15, 1818,
from the territory of old Willink and then comprised the present town of Colden, which was set off in 1827. Holland
comprises township 8, range 5 of the Holland survey, and contains thirty-six square miles, or 24,934 acres. Cazenove
Creek flows northwesterly across the town, and Hunter’s Creek drains the northeast part; a branch of Buffalo Creek
drains the southeast corner. Most of the town is upland, with fertile valleys along the streams.
The territory of this town was first settled in 1807, when Arthur Humphrey, Abner Currier and Jared Scott bought
farms in Cazenove Creek valley in the northwestern part. In 1808—09 Ezekiel Colby settled in the same valley, Nathan
Colby located on Vermont Hill, as also did Jacob Farrington, east of the site of Holland village. Others who came
in before the war of 1812 were Daniel McKean, Harvey Colby, Samuel Miller, Increase Richardson, Sanford Porter,
Theophilus Baldwin and Joseph Cooper.
Operations of considerable importance took place in this town during the war, as related in earlier chapters. A
grist mill was begun during the war on the site of Holland village, which was bought and finished in 1814 by General
Warren and Ephraim Woodruff; a saw mill was added in 1815.
Caleb Cutler settled in Holland in 1816 and his descendants still reside in the town. Joshua Barron opened the
first tavern soon after the war, probably in 1816, and in the next year Leander Cook opened the first store near
the first mills. George Burzette settled about 1819, and Stephen Parker and John Rufus Sleeper came in at about
the same date. John Huff settled on West Hill in 1822, where Samuel Johnson had already located. Among other prominent
settlers may be mentioned:
Moses McCarthy, Isaac Dickerman, Nathaniel P. Davis, John H. Bucknam, R. W. Button, Jefferson Colby, Paige B. Cooper,
son of Samuel Cooper, who came in 1810, Sylvester Curtis, Charles F. Button, Caleb Cutler, Benjamin F. Day, M.
L. Dickerman, Timothy Dustin, John Dustin, Jacob Farrington, Burt B. Farrington, Philip Fisher, Merritt Gould,
Amos Gould, Lawrence W. Hawks, Lewis Hawks, Burritt Hayes, Saxton K. Jackson, James Kimball, Deloss W. Kimball,
William Mabon, Charles S. Rice, Israel Rice, Dayton and Aaron Riley, James, Joseph, John 0. and Philip D. Riley,
all Sons of James Riley, Leonard Sergel, Sidney S. Sleeper, John Sleeper, James M. Stanton, Austin A. Stickney,
Jacob Wagoner, George Wagoner, Ira Ward, Roger D. Ward and Thomas Ward.
About 1850 German settlers began to locate in Holland along Hunter’s Creek, and they soon became numerous. They
organized a German Baptist church and built a small house of worship about 1850, which was superseded by a larger
one in 1865; it is still in use and situated about three miles east of Holland village.
In the course of time the farmers of this town gave less attention to grain raising and devoted their energies
more to dairying, and at the present time some of the largest and best dairy farmers in Erie county are residents
of Holland. There are several cheese factories in operation, part or all of which are in the combination of Richardson,
Beebe & Co. The building of the Buffalo, New York and Philadelphia Railroad across the town in 1871 gave the
farmers and tradesmen better facilities for reaching markets and added a stimulus to the growth of Holland village,
through which it passes.
Holland Village.— This place is
situated a little southwest of the center of the town. The first mills, before mentioned, passed through the ownership
of several persons, among whom were Robert Orr, Edgar 0. Cheney, John McMillan, Jacob Wurst, to Paul J. Wurst,
present operator. Amos Hill built a saw mill in 1820, which disappeared before 1840. Isaac Rich built another there,
and a carding mill; the saw mill had various owners, one of whom put in grinding machinery. In 1862 Marcus Case,
then owner of a saw mill, built a new and better one. In 1878 Ichabod N. Briggs built a new grist mill, which is
still in operation.
Merchants of past years have been: Leander Cook (the first), Hoyt & Flinn, Hoyt & Adams, Howard & Riley,
John 0. Riley, Marcellus L. Dickerman, Perry D. Dickerman, A. M. Orr, C. A. Button, Jerome B. Morey, John F. Morey,
Austin N. Stickney, William B. Jackson, Isaac B. and Frank W. Ellsworth (father and son), G. A. Crandall, Rodell
J. Bowen, W. J. & N. A. Taber.
There are now in the village 4 general stores, 1 bank, 1 hardware store, 1 drug store, 1 jewelry store, 1 millinery
store, a tannery, 2 grist mills, 2 saw mills, a clothes wringer factory (started in 1897), 3 hotels, 1 agricultural
implement store, a newspaper, a shoe shop, 3 blacksmith shops, and a wagon shop.
In 1829 William Hoyt built a new hotel on the corner of Main and Virginia streets, which was subsequently kept
by Anson Norton, William Crook, Vinal L. Morey, and for many years by Abner Orr, when it was known as Orr’s Hotel;
it was sold to settle his estate, was converted to other uses and burned in 1886. The site has not been rebuilt.
The Holland House, new the New Lowry House, was built about 1835 by Jonathan Paul, who was succeeded by his son,
David Paul, who
conducted the house many years and was followed in the business by his widow. Later it had several proprietors,
among them Seward H. Sears; it is now owned by C. C. Lowry, who gave the house its present name. The old Lowry
House was built about 1873 by C. C. Lowry, who conducted it until it was burned in 1890, after which the present
Holland House was erected on the site.
A. Rumsey & Son, of Buffalo, built a large tannery in 1850, which is now controlled by the United States Leather
Co. Horace Selleck built a planing mill in 1876, which was subsequently burned. Edmund C. Wallash established a
furniture business in 1876. Nathan and Homer Morey were early tanners and shoemakers.
The post-office at Holland was established in 1822, with Lyman Clark postmaster. Other postmasters in the village
have been Elon Clark, Isaac Humphrey, Philip D. Riley, Nathan Morey, 0. G. Rowley, Waterman Burlingham, Perry D.
Dickerman, A. M. Orr, Chauncey G. Currier, Clayton A. Button, Frank W. Ellsworth, William B. Jackson, Walter J.
Taber and Horace Selleck.
The Bank of Holland was incorporated October 21, 1893, with capital of $25,000. First and present officers: William
B. Jackson, president: Jacob Wurst, succeeded by Philip D. Riley, vice-president; George E. Merrill, cashier.
The Holland Water Works were incorporated in 1891. Officers:
William B. Jackson, president; Jacob Wurst, succeeded by his son, Paul, vice-president; C. A. Button, succeeded
by Charles M. Sill, secretary, Asher Cutler, treasurer. Water is obtained from springs a mile from the village
and is distributed by gravity.
The Holland Fire Department was organized in November, 1893, with forty members. Henry Spaulding has always been
foreman. The equipment consists of a hose cart, a hook and ladder truck. Firemen’s Hall was built in 1896 at a
cost of $2,000. William W. Bucknam has been president since the organization; Paul J. Wurst, secretary; William
B. Jackson, treasurer.
The Holland Review is a weekly newspaper started in 1889 by Clayton A. Button. He was succeeded by Paul J. Wurst
and he by Albert F. Bangert.
The first physician in Holland was a Dr. Parker, whose first name is not remembered; .he settled there about 1825
and remained ten years. Dr. Zoroaster Paul located there about 1834 and when he removed about twelve years later,
he was succeeded by Dr. Bradley Goodyear; he practiced about ten years and was followed by Dr. Dascomb Farrington,
who still remains, in association with his son. Dr. A. C. Osborn settled in the village about 1868 and is deceased,
and Dr. Edwin Farrington practiced there for a time and removed to Buffalo.
Holland has suffered considerably from fires, notably in February, 1888, when six structures were burned, including
William B. Jackson’s store; in 1886, the Cazenove Hotel, an old landmark, was destroyed; and in 1890, when a hotel,
store and dwelling were burned.
The First Baptist church of Holland was organized November 29, 1829, with twenty-six members. The church edifice
was built in 1844. A Methodist class was formed here many years ago and in 1871 a house of worship was erected.
The society is still in existence. A German Lutheran society was formed in 1874 and a house of worship built in
the same year. A Roman Catholic church was organized and a church built in 1884.
Protection.— This is a hamlet
in the extreme southern part of the town, where John Dake had a turning lathe about 1830. Ten years later Charles
Fuller opened a hotel. Frank Lyford opened a grocery store in 1846. 0. W. Childs established a general store which
he sold to William B. Jackson in 1881. John Dake built a saw mill in 1840 which was changed to a feed mill and
apple dryer, which are not now operated. The business interests are confined to a saw mill and a grocery.
East Holland is a hamlet in the southeastern part of the town, where the saw mill of Hawks Brothers is located,
and an old church of the Christian denomination.
Cooper’s Mills is a mere hamlet where are located the saw mill of Arthur Cooper, and a turning factory and a cider
The first town meeting of Holland was held in the spring of 1819, when the following officers were elected:
Arthur Humphrey, supervisor; Samuel Corliss, town clerk; Richard Buffum, Caleb Cutler and Chanin Wheelock, commissioners
of highways; Samuel Corliss, constable and collector; John A. Abbott, constable; Charles Crook, poormaster; Rudolphus
Burr, Elon Clark and Ira John son, commissioners of schools; Elon Clark, Ira Johnson and Abner Nutting, inspectors
Following is a list of the supervisors of Holland with their years of service:
Arthur Humphrey, 1819—20; Mitchell Corliss, 1821—24; Asa Crook, 1825—28, Chase Fuller, 1829—32; Moses McArthur,
1833—34; Isaac Humphrey, 1835—37; Moses McArthur, 1838—40; Samuel Corliss, 1841; Moses McArthur, 1842—47; Philip
D. Riley, 1848; Moses McArthur. 1849—51; Abner Orr, 1852; Ezra Farrington, 1853; Abner Orr, 1854; Philip D. Riley,
1855; Oliver G. Rowley, 1856; Ezra Farrington, 1857; Oliver G. Rowley, 1858; John A. Case, 1859; Philip D. Riley,
1860; Nathan Morey, 1861—62; Philip D. Riley, 1863—64; John O. Riley, 1865—71; Perry D. Dickerman, 1872; John O.
Riley. 1873; Charles A. Orr, 1874—75; Homer Morey, 1876—78; John F. Morey, 1879—80; Austin N. Stickney, 1881—88;
Ichabod N. Griggs. 1884; Jacob Wurst, 1885— 87; Henry L. Bangert, 1888—89; Ichabod N. Griggs, 1890; Charles M.
Sill, 1891; Ichabod N. Griggs, 1892—94; William B. Jackson, 1895—97.