This village was first called St. Oars' Corners, later Rogers' Corners, then Gorham Corners and finally Crane's
Corners, until the establishment of a post office in 1848, when it received its present name, St. Lawrence. Among
the early settlers were Jacob St. Oars, James Rogers, Horatio Humphrey, C. B. Carey, Dr. Dyer Pierce.
The first religious services here were under the direction of Elder Warren and continued until 1868, when the second
Methodist Episcopal church in the town of Cape Vincent was organized. The trustees were Samuel Dillen, Edward R.
Farr, Alonzo Walrath for three years, A. E. Rice and Alanson Abbey for two years, and Samuel Swartwout and Russell
Wright for one year. The present church was erected in the summer of 1869 and dedicated on the fifteenth of December
of the same year. The memory of Dr. Dyer Pierce, for years an eminent physician here, and his wife, has been perpetuated
by the generous gift of their son, Mr. H. Clay Pierce, of St. Louis, Missouri, president of the WatersPierce Oil
Company. He has recently presented to this society a parsonage completely furnished, a gift of money for repairing
the church, and a massive and elegant stone wall surrounding the cemetery. The Reverend Harvey Casler succeeded
the Reverend D. L. Phelps as pastor of the church in April of this year.
The business places of St. Lawrence are the General Store and Post-Office, conducted by F. A. Miller, and the General
Store owned by George Donaldson. H. M. Buchanan is the physician and surgeon.
The officers of the St. Lawrence Grange for 1906 are Master, C. H. Corbin; Overseer, J. C. Phillips; Lecturer,
Mrs. J. H. Corbin; Steward, Eugene Gurney; Assistant Steward, J. H. Comins; Lady Assistant, Mrs. Dema Northrup;
Secretary and Treasurer, Mrs. J. C. Phillips; Chaplain, Mrs. Fanny Fraser; Ceres, Mrs. Walter Barret; Pomona, Mrs.
James Comins; Flora, Mrs. George Cornair; Gate Keeper, Thomas Emery; Organist, Mrs. J. C. Phillips.