The Stone House (Cape Vincent, NY)
From: Cape Vincent and Its History
Compiled by Nelie Horton Casler
Hungerford - Wolbrook Co.
Watertown, NY 1906

The Stone House.

James D. LeRay was authorized by an act of the Legislature, in March, 1815, "to make a turnpike road from Cape Vincent, on the St. Lawrence River, on the most direct route to Perch River, at or near where the State road crosses the same in the town of Brownville, to be called the Cape Vincent Turnpike Road." At this time Vincent LeRay, assisted by Moss Kent, was here in charge of his father's estate. His office stood on Broadway, and was the first frame house erected in the village. It was removed only a few years ago. Opposite the office in 1815, Mr. LeRay built the stone house. The late Deacon Rogers said: "As it was the first house in the village built of stone, the name 'The Stone House' has clung to it ever since." Othniel Spinning boated the stone from Carleton Island, and Hugh MacPherson, my great-great uncle, laid its walls. Mr. MacPherson came here in 1815 and remained until 1818, when he removed to Chaumont. The interior of the stone house was not entirely finished for some years after it was erected. Vincent LeRay occupied it for several years, then he left Cape Vincent and for some time the house was vacant. In 1837 it was purchased, with other property of Mr. LeRay, by the brothers Hyacinth, Louis and Theophilus Peugnet.

The Stone House stands on the bank of the St. Lawrence River, surrounded nearly to its massive walls by beautiful trees. It is probably the oldest and certainly one of the most interesting houses of stone in Jefferson county. It is now the summer home of Mrs. Fort of New York City. Mrs. Foit, a daughter of Hyacinth Peugnet, possesses two invaluable souvenirs of Napoleon, a cross of the Legion of Honor, presented by the Emperor to her father; the other a ribbon from which Napoleon wore the cross of the Legion of Honor suspended, given to her father by Joachim Murat.

Louis and Hyacinth Peugnet were distinguished officers in Napoleon's army, who left France after the downfall of the Emperor. They resided in New York, where they opened a school for boys. General Beauregard, of the Confederate Army, attended their school, and received his first instructions in military tactics from Louis Peugnet.


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy