Watertown enjoys, as she richly deserves, a well earned reputation, both as to the number and excellence of
her hotels. No other city surpasses her in this respect, a fact which the traveling public will be found to admit.
THE WOODRUFF HOUSE, one of the finest hotel buildings in the State, was built soon after the great fire
in 1849, by Norris M. Woodruff. It stands on the north side of Public Square, facing one of the parks, and presents
an imposing front of 120 feet. It is five stories high, substantially built of brick, surmounted by a tower which
rises over one hundred feet from the Square. Its handsome appearance is not excelled anywhere outside of the larger
cities. It is handsomely furnished and is. the architectural pride of the city. Its first floor is occupied by
eight flourishing stores, and an archway extends through the center, constituting the principal walk and driveway
to the R. W. & O. R. R. depot in the rear. Messrs. Buck & Sanger, the proprietors, have conducted the house
since 1869 and are extensively known as gentlemanly landlords. The attractive illustration shown on another page,
handsome as it is, hardly does full justice to the fine appearance of the building.
THE CROWNER HOUSE, on Court street, was built in 1853 by J. D. Crowner. Its main part is 75x50 feet, wing,
60x30 feet. It is built of brick, three stories high, and is conveniently and pleasantly located and offers excellent
accommodations. Messrs. Solon and George H. Wilder are its proprietors, and are deservedly popular with the public.
THE AMERICAN HOTEL was erected soon after the fire of 1849 by T. W. Wheeler, on the corner of Arsenal Street
and Public Square, fronting about one hundred feet on the former, and fifty feet on the latter, conforming to the
Paddock building adjoining. It makes an imposing architectural display. It is of brick, four stories high, and
is admirably arranged for a hotel building. It is at present conducted by Messrs. Buck & Sanger of the Woodruff
House, and enjoys a wide reputation as an excellent hotel.
THE HANCHETT HOUSE, on Court and Arsenal streets, is conducted by William C. Hanchet, and enjoys a large
share of public patronage.
THE KIRBY HOUSE, located on Court Street, is a three story brick building, conducted by Messrs. A. M. Harris
THE CITY HOTEL, on Court street, recently enlarged by its proprietor, William M. Roach, and the HARRIS
HOUSE, on Public Square, Helmer & Parish, proprietors, constitute the remainder of our hotels worthy of