History of High Market, NY
FROM: History of Lewis County, New York and its people
By Franklin B. Hough
Published By D. Mason & Co. 1883


THIS town was formed from West Turin by the Board of Supervisors, November 11, 1852. by the same act that organized the town of Lewis. The first town meeting was directed to be held at the house of Schuyler C. Thompson.

Supervisors.- 1853, Schuyler C. Thompson: 1854-'55, Michael H.Coyle; 1856-'58, Michael Walsh; 1859-'60, Charles Plummer; 1861-'63, Patrick Byron; 1864, William Dolphin; 1865-'69, Charles Plummer; 1870-'71, Edward Sweeney; 1872-'73, Frederick Anken; 1874, Patrick Byron; 1875-'76, Israel Mullin 1877-'78, Charles A. Wider; 1879-'80, John Byron; 1881-'82, Christian Closner.

Clerks.- 1853, Lynville M. Beals; 1854, William Dolphin; G. R.Thompson; 1856, Lynville M. Beals; 1857, Chas. P. Felshaw; 1858-'59, Wm. Rowlands; 1860'61, Robert D. Blair; 1862, Wm. Dolphin; 1863, Robert D. Blair; 1864, Thos. McGinnis; 1865-'66, Robert D. Blair; 1867, Patrick Byron; 1858-'80, Christian Clossner, Jr.; 1881-82, James Hanley.

This town embraces township 9, or Penelope, of the Boylston tract, with 35 lots of township 2, or Fiora, and 64 lots of township 3, or Lucretia, of Constable's four towns; its present name was borrowed from that of its postoffice, established in March, 1849. It was invented by Schuyler C. Thompson, to distinguish this place from every other, and in this view it was entirely successful. The Irish settlers, wished to have the town named Sligo and usage had long before applied to an undefined region, west of Constableville, the nondescript name of Kiabia, which it retained for many years.

Township 2, of which nearly half lies in this town, was subdivided by Benjamin Wright, in 1797, and measures 26,266 3/4 acres. The bearings and distances of its outlines are as follows :-



N. 370 30' E.







N. 52° 30' W.







S. 370 30' W.







S. 52° 30' E.





At the second town meeting, the owner of the premises at which, by adjournment, the voters were to meet, refused to open his house. The majority of the voters, who were Irish, and not accustomed to the usages proper in such a case, were quite at a loss to know how to proceed, and came near losing their organization by failure to elect town officers. Just before sunset, they however organized in the street, as near the place of meeting as practicable, and adjourned to some convenient place the next day. With the advice of J. M. Muscott, a lawyer of Turin, they went through with their meeting, and have since retained the management of town affairs. In 1858, the town voted, with but one dissenting voice, to petition for re-annexation to West Turin, but without success. In 1857, they purchased for $200, a store for a town house.

Settlement was begun about 1814, by Alfred Hovey and Liberty Fairchild, and in 1815, John Feishaw became the third settler. Ebenezer Thompson, and others subsequently located in the town.

John Feishaw died June 24, 1857, aged 82 years. He settled in the county in 1813.

Ebenezer Thompson removed from Rockingham, Vt., in 1821, and died June 6, 1843, aged 69 years. He was the father of S. C. Thompson, Esq., formerly of Constableville, and of Chandler E. Thompson, of that place.

Upon the suspension of the public works, in 1842, great numbers of Irish families removed to this town, and took up small tracts of land.

The western part of this town is still a wilderness, including a considerable part of township 9, near the west part of which Fish creek flows southward across the town.

The highest point of land in the county is said to occur on lot 50, township 3. Streams flow from this lot in several different directions, and in a clear day distant glimpses of the hills in Madison county, as well as more than half of the distant eastern horizon, are seen.

In 1871, Emory Allen, Newton Northam, Alva Ward and Archibald McVickar (the two last named being of the firm Ward & McVickar) bought a tract of 14,500 acres in township 9. There was then a large amount of spruce timber upon this tract,-estimated by good judges at 100,000,000 feet. It began to die off the next year, and continued till most that had value of this timber had decayed.

Mr. Ward is dead. The firm of which he was a partner failed, and the burden of this purchase fell upon Mr. Allen. He has recently sold the tract to Hood, Gale & Co., of Michigan, and they intend to clear it off at an early day. It is chiefly valued for its birch and other hardwood timber. It will need roads-possibly a railroad-to accomplish this clearing.

The principal business of this town is dairying, for which it is well adapted.

A case of murder has been before the courts from this town, since its organization. In 1871, Peter Carey, John Collins, Jr., and Michael Collins, were indicted for killing Francis Joyce. They were sentenced May 2, 1871, as follows:
Carey for manslaughter in the second degree, seven years; and the two others for manslaughter in the fourth degree, two years each. It resulted from a drunken quarrel.


Bounties of $50 were offered at the annual town meeting in 1863.

March 17, 1864.-A bounty of $300 was voted to each volunteer, and the sum of $2,400 was borrowed.

March 28, 1864.-The proceedings of the recent meeting were amended, and the sum of $300 was to be paid.

September 7, 1864.- A bounty of $500 was offered, and $150 to each man who furnished a substitute. A committee was appointed, consisting of John B. Murphy, Charles S. Felshaw, and Christian Clossner, to fill the quota of the town.


After the burning of the Catholic church west of Constableville in 1880, a division occurred among the members, a part separating from the rest, organizing a church in High Market, while the rest proceeded to re-build in Constableville village. The church in this town is named "St. Patrick's," and is not finished at the time of our writing. It is located near the town house and postoffice of High Market, and will be served from Constableville.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates

All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy