LINCKLAEN, named from Col. John Lincklaen,
the former proprietor of the township, and agent of the Holland Land Company, was formed from German, April 12,
1823. A part of Pitcher was taken off in 1827 and another part in 1833. It lies in the north-west corner of the
County. Its surface is a hilly, broken upland, divided into ridges by the narrow valleys or ravines of the streams
running north and south. The declivities are generally steep and the summits from 400 to 600 feet above the valleys.
Mud Creek flows south through the west part of the town, into the Otselic. Ashbel Creek and several other small
streams take their rise in the south and east parts of the town and flow into the Otselic. The soil is a shaly
and clayey loam.
Lincklean, (p. v.) situated on Mud Creek, in the west part of the town, contains a Methodist and a Congregational
church, a hotel, a saw-mill, a cider-mill, a blacksmith shop, a harness shop and about a dozen houses.
The Congregational Church was re-organized in 1859, under the labors of Rev. O. Ketchum, and consisted of eighteen
members. The number of members at present is only fourteen, and they are without a pastor. The church edifice is
a substantial wood building occupying a commanding site at the south end of the village. The Methodist church stands
upon the opposite side of the street. It is a frame building and was erected in 1861, Rev. Albert Ensign is the
About a mile south-east of Lincklaen, on lot 20, is the Lineklaen Cheese Factory and Creamery, for .the manufacture
of butter and skimmed milk cheese. David E. and Samuel R. Stillman are the proprietors. About three-fourths of
a mile north of Lincklaen is the saw-mill, grist-mill, and carding machine of W. D. & W. A. Wilcox.
Burdick Settlement, in the north part of the town, contains a Seventh Day Baptist church, a school house, a blacksmith
shop, two shoe shops, a wagon shop, a cheese factory, and sixteen dwellings. The cheese factory of Jerome F. Wheeler,
located at this place, makes English cheddar cheese. The Church in this place was set off from DeRuyter in 1831,
and contained at the time of its organization thirty members. The present number is 91. Rev. Lebeus M. Burdick
was the first pastor; Rev. Amos W. Coon is the present pastor. The church edifice is a small wooden structure erected
On lot No. 10, in the south-east part of the town, is the sawmill of Oren N. Pitts. On lot No. 7, in the east part
of the town, is a Baptist church. The edifice was erected in 1844, at which time the membership was about fifty;
at present the number is about twenty-five, and they have no regular service. On lot 46, in the south-east part
of the town, is the creamery and cheese factory of Zira Parce, for the manufacture of butter and skimmed milk cheese.
The first settlements were made about 1796, by Gurdon Wells, Abel Fairchilds, Elisha Catlin, Joseph Pulford, Nathaniel
Gray, Wolcott Bennett, Joseph Darling, Jesse Catlin, Aaron Peet, John Wilson, Elisha Blount, Christopher Shipman,
and others by the name of Back us and Walters.
The first birth was that of Matilda Wells, in 1800, and the first death that of a child of Christopher Shiprnan.
William Bly was the first school teacher; Elisha Catlin kept the first inn; and Fairchild Brothers the first store.
Catlin & Shipman built the first sawmill, and J. Pulford the first grist-mill. The first religious services
were held in 1798 by Rev. Seth Williston.
The population of Lincklaen in 1865 was 988 and its area 16,072 acres.
It contains ten school districts with a school population of 299, 273 of whom attended school during the last year.
The average attendance was 140, and the amount expended for school purposes $1,693.56.