History of Lockport , New York (part 3)

FROM LANDMARKS OF NIAGARA COUNTY, NEW YORK
EDITED BY: WILLIAM POOL
PUBLISHED BY D. MASON & CO. PUBLISHERS, SYRACUSE, NY 1897



LOCKPORT HOME FOR THE FRIENDLESS.- In September, 1865, the Lockport Ladies' Relief Society and Home for the Friendless was organized, and during the succeeding six years dispensed relief in food and household articles to needy families. In 1871 the necessity was apparent for a permanent home for friendless and destitute children, where they could receive proper care. After considerable discussion a meeting was held, which resulted in the procurement of a charter dated February 8, 1871, under which the following nine trustees were named:
Hiram Gardner, John Hodge, J. L. Breyfogle, Horatio Kilborne, Gustavus P. Hosmer, D. F. Bishop, Thomas Hall, M. W. Eavns, J. W. Helmer. This board of trustees appointed a board of twenty-four ladies, who qualified and elected the following officers: President, Mrs. J. T. Bellah; corresponding secretary, Mrs. Calvin Haines; treasurer, Mrs. A. J. Mansfield; recording secretary, Anna S. Gardner. After energetic work the sum of $3,000 was raised by subscription and yearly membership dues, which was increased by nearly $3,500 from the Board of Supervisors, on condition that it should be used for the purchase of a Home. On December, 1871, the residence of F. N. Nelson, on High street, was secured at a cost of $5,000. This served its purpose until August, 1892, when Wyndham Lawn, tile old home of Governor Hunt, was purchased for $30,000. This institution has accomplished a vast amount of good, and during its existence has sheltered nearly i,ooo children. Its twenty-fifth anniversary was appropriately celebrated February 11, 1896.

SCHOOLS.- The first school taught in Lock-port, or within tile limits of what is now the city, was in 1821, the Friends' meeting house being used for the purpose. Tile first teacher was Miss Pamelia Aldrich. A village district was soon afterward set off and in 1822 R. L. Wilson erected at his own expense a log school building. Th,e trustees made him a proposition to open a school on subscription, which he did, and the school sufficed for the existing needs. In 1823 David Nye erected a school building for a private school, which he taught for a time and then sold it to Charles Hammond, who continued tile school. The first meeting of the school commissioners, after the erection of the town, was held on the 17th of April, 1824. School district No. 1 was formed, embracing a large territory on the west side of the canal, and on the 19th of August following, district No. 2 was set off on the east side of the canal. The town profited by tile public school money in 1825 for the first time as a town, at which time the total number of scholars in the village was 542. The two original districts were divided at various times until they numbered seven in 1848, and the Union school system was adopted for the village. Meanwhile schools were opened, some of them many years earlier, at various points throughout the town. The first of these was situated at Warren's Corners, and stood on ground donated by Ezra Warren. It was a frame structure and was built by subscription in 1814. In tile following summer Amanda Rice taught the first school. That building was used until 1836 when it was superseded by a stone structure. In 1818 a log school house was built in district No. 5, where Lyman Lyscomb was tile first teacher. It stood just on or over tile Cambria line, and was abandoned after two years and a new building erected on the Lockport side. The first school house erected in district No. 11 was of log and built in 1822. District No. i6 was formed in 1830 and a school house built the same year. The first school house at Wright's Corners was not built until 1837. In 1860 the number of districts in the town was eighteen, and at the present time it is seventeen.

Lockport boasts of the first union school in this county and is the home of the birth of the system. Until 1848 the village contained no academy, seminary, or other educational institutions, except seven common schools in as many districts, some of which were hardly worth tile name of school houses. Tn 1846 Sullivan Caverno, of Lockport, originated the Union school plan, and after submitting it to several educators in other localities, framed an act which passed the Legislature in 1847, establisiling the system in Lock-port. The act provided that Sullivan Caverno, trustee of district No. 1, William G. McMaster, No. 2, Joseph T. Belloh, No. 3, Silas H. Marks, No. 4, Isaac Colton, No. 5, John S. Wolcott, No. 6, Edward L. Boardman, No. 7, with Nathan Dayton, Samuel Works, Jonathan S. Woods, Lyman A. Spalding, and Hiram Gardner, should constitute a corporation with the title, The Board of Education of the Village of Lockport. Other provisions of the act need not be followed here.

The Union School thus established was divided into junior and senior departments, and provision was made for a normal department. Courses of study were laid out for the different grades substantially upon the lines that have been followed since in schools of this character, and from the very first the great superiority of the system over the old one was apparent. Mr. Caverno was chosen president of the Board of Education, and for five years labored indefatigably for tile advancement of the cause of education. Soon after its organization the board took steps for the erection of a Union school building. A site was purchased on which the structure was erected and properly furnished, tile city meeting a tax levy of $13,000 to pay the expense. During the succeeding years new school buildings were added at a cost of more than $100,000, most of which were modern in style and convenience. By a law of 1866 the boundaries of the Union school district were conformed to the city boundaries, and the power to raise money for the schools was transferred to the council. In 1866 tuition rates in these schools were abolished. Chapter 15 of the laws of 1890 authorized the building of a new Union School house and the issue of bonds for the purpose, by the city, not to exceed $725,000.

About $100,000 was expended in the construction of the new Union School building, a structure of a plain but substantial character, while its interior arrangement includes all the appurtenances and conveniences required by modern educational methods. There are assembly rooms for each department with adequate recitation rooms, a fully equipped laboratory, commercial department, Board of Education rooms, superintendents office, and an ample library room. The corner stone was laid with impressive ceremonies by the Grand Lodge F. & A. M. of the State on July 10, 1890. The structure was completed and dedicated August 30, 1891.

Since the Union School building was occupied tile school has largely increased its enrollment, attendance and graduating classes. Classes are graduated yearly from the senior department and also from the commercial department. Prof. Edward Hayward, Ph. D., succeeded Prof. Asher B. Evans as principal of the senior department in 1892 under provisions of law a Normal or Teachers' Training Department is also conducted, the graduates of which are well prepared for service as teachers in grade schools.

The school system of the city comprises the Union School, with the departments above mentioned, an Intermediate or Lower Grammar School, and Primary Schools situated on and named for the following streets: High Street, Hawley Street, Washburn Street, Walnut Street, Clinton Street, West Avenue, and Vine Street. The annual enrollnient of pupils in all of the schools is a little more than three thousand, and about seventy- five teachers are employed.

A most commendable feature of the school management in the city is its entire independence of the municipal control, as it is wholly under the control of a Board of Education whose members are chosen at a special election, arid in whose selection thus far political considerations have had no perceptible influence. All teachers and other school officials, including superintendents, are appointed by the board. Best superintendents from any section of the country are to be obtained for the salary that the board may feel warranted in paying. The present superintendent is Ernmet Belknap, A. M., who has held the position since 1889.

For a number of years prior to 1892 the city had an imperfect and unsatisfactory street car system. To remedy this the Lock City Electric Railroad Company was organized and on December 12, 1892, the city granted the company a charter to operate a road by the trolley system through Main street, East avenue, Market street, Mill street, Clinton street, Olcott street, West Main street, New Main street, Hawley street, Locust street, Willow street and Lincoln avenue. The company accepted the conditions of the charter and went vigorously at work to give the city a first-class railroad system. Charles Johnson is president of the company; William Spalding, vice-president; Raymond C. Johnson, secretary.

Gas lighting was introduced in Lockport as early as 1851, chiefly through the efforts of James G. Porter, and a company was organized February 1 of the year named, with a paid up capital of $15,000. The first officcrs were James G. Porter, president; George Reynale, treasurer; Joseph T. Bellah, secretary. The first Board of Trustees were James G. Porter, William Keep, George Reynale, R. S. Wilkinson, T. T. Flagier, Benjamin Draper, Silas H. Marks, Joseph T. Bellab, and Stephen Meredith. The site which has since been used for the works, corner of Transit and Lagrange streets, was purchased and the required plant established. The main streets of the village were first illuminated with gaslight on the night of the 30th of December, 1851. About five years later the capital of the company was increased and the works enlarged for making coal gas; previous to that time the product was made from resin. In August, 1894, the Lockport Gas and Electric Light Company was organized and incorporated with a capital of $150,000. This company is composed chiefly of New York men. The city was first wired for the use of incandescent lights in 1884-85 by the Gas Company. At about the same time another company was formed for lighting the streets by arc lamps, and the two subsequently consolidated. The present company supplies 209 street lamps.

Enough has already been written to convince the reader that, with its immense water power, if for no other reason, Lockport would early become a large manufacturing center. Some of the early industrial establishments have already been mentioned. With a large wheatgrowing district at its doors, and with the shipping facilities supplied by the canal and the later railroad, it is not difficult to understand why a great flouring industry sprang into existence in the village. For many years it was the principal industry and its products were favorably known over a wide stretch of territory. A mill was put in operation about 1824, by Otis Hathaway, on a branch of Eighteen mile Creek where it passes under the Erie Canal. So welcome was this mill to the people at that time that on the day when it was first started, a large number gathered and expressed their gratitude to the builder, and in the evening the event was duly celebrated. This mill was followed a few years later by the large mill of Lyman A. Spalding, which has been described. It was begun in the spring of 1826, and was erected seven stories in height. Flour was first shipped from this mill in May, 1827, on the canal boat Chief Engineer; the freight charge to Albany was a dollar a barrel, while the best wheat sold at fifty cents a bushel. This mill was purchased by the before mentioned Albany Company in 1832, but Mr. Spalding continued to operate it under lease. It was burned in 1840, and in the following year Mr. Spalding purchased the site and built another mill larger than the first, with a capacity of 400 barrels of flour daily. It was purchased in 1857 by N. H. Wolf and was burned in the following year. What became known as the later Spalding mill was erected on the site in 1858. After passing through various hands it was sold to Thornton & Chester, who operated it with success many years and were succeeded by George T. Chester. This mill also was subsequently burned.

Edward Bissell built a mill on the site of the one that was afterwards operated by Douglass & Jackson, Saxton & Thomson, and others. It was burned, rebuilt, and again destroyed by fire. S. Burt Saxton rebuilt the mill in 1884, giving it a capacity of 1,000 barrels a day. It was burned December 8, 1889, and was rebuilt in 1890 by the Thomson Milling Company, the present proprietors. Saxton & Thomson were succeeded by the Thomson Milling Company, of which George B. Thomson is president; A. L. Draper, vice-president; H. M. Whitbeck, secretary and treasurer. This is now the largest flouring mill in Lockport and has a capacity of 500 barrels a day.

The Niagara mill was built about 1832 by Henry Walbridge on the north bank of the canal. It was operated about fifty years by various persons and firms, but finally closed up.

What has been known as the Lockport City mill was built in 1863 by David Cope, near the site of the Spalding mill. Mr. Cope enlarged it in 1866, and after his death it was sold to N. H. Wolf. In 1870 it was sold to Gibson, Arnold & Little. It is now operated by Grigg Brothers & Ellis.

The Franklin mill building was erected in 1833 by the Lockport Manufacturing Company (capitalized at $1,000,000) for a cotton factory and was used as such until 1841, at which time Washington Hunt became the sole owner. In the following year he conveyed it to the Niagara Manufacturing Company, who operated it as a cotton factory until 1854. This industry was rendered unprofitable chiefly because of the State withholding water necessary for power. The machinery was consequently removed and the premises purchased by B. C. Moore, Washington Hunt and Henry Waibridge, who converted it into a flouring mill. In 1864 Hiram Finch became owner of a large interest in the mill and in 1867 its sole owner, operating it until 1872, and increasing the capacity to 500 barrels daily. In 1872 the property passed to Mary H Hunt, who conveyed it to Ambrose S. Beverly, Nathan P. Currier, J. Carl Jackson, and William S. Camp. The mill is now operated by the Franklin Milling Company (incorporated in 1894), chiefly in the manufacture of entire wheat flour, which is largely used.

What is known as the Farmers' mill, now operated as an iron works by Westerman & Co., with C. G. Sutliffe, manager, was built in 1833 and has passed through the hands of numerous owners. The original structure was burned and the stone part was built by Elliott & Robinson. What was called the Pine Street mill was operated in the building that became the city Water Works building and is now the City building. It was erected in 1864 by W. K. Moore. The Model mill, on East Market street, was originally a plaster mill, and was converted into a flouring mill in 1865 by B. & N. E. Moore. It was later enlarged by Moore & Willey and was finally closed up. Other minor flouring mills were those operated by John Stahl, which burned, and another by Henry Thornton called Rock mill.

It will be seen by the foregoing paragraphs that the flouring industry has largely declined in recent years. There are good reasons for this which need not be explained here; but while this is true of that one industry, there is at the present time a far larger gross manufacturing interest in Lockport than ever before, as will presently appear.

Zeno Comstock built the first saw mill in Lockport in 1819, on the branch of Eighteen-mile Creek. It was in this mill that the first machinery of any kind was operated in the place. In the early years, before the timber lands were cleared, saw mills were numerous. Among others who had early mills in Lockport was David Frink, which later passed through various hands, and had a sash and door mill added to it. It stood on the site of the Lockport Paper Company's plant and was finally demolished. After the canal water power became available, Lyman A. Spalding erected a saw mill (1825-6) this was taken down in 1836 and superseded by one of greater capacity, containing two gangs of twelve saws each. Edward Bissell built a mill in 1828 on the site of the Trevor Manufacturing Company's works. In 1836 there were eight saw mills in operation within the limits of the present city. In 1848 Stevens, Doty & Pease built a mill where the Traders' Paper Company is located; this mill also had several different owners. Near the site of the pulp mill H. F. Cadv built a saw mill in 1855.

In 1835 Lyman A. Spalding began making agricultural implements, and some years later added steam engines. In 1869 the Pound Manufacturing Company was formed, with L. Austin Spalding, president; Alexander Pond, superintendent. The company did a large business many years and finally closed up; the premises are now in use by Norman & Evans for the manufacture of merry-go rounds and similar articles.

Mr. Charles T. Raymond, of Lockport, has furnished the editor with the following list of industries running by water power in the city, the value of their property, hands employed, value of product, etc.:

Name of Firm

Value of Property.

Hands Employed.

Grigg Bros. & Ellis

$40,000

10

Ward & Cobb

9,000

34

Norman & Evans

45,000

35

Eleven factories and firms securing
power from Normall & Evans's
water wheels

300,000

275

Niagara Cotton Batting Co

5,000

12

Thompson Milling Company

100,000

23

Trevor Manufacturing Co

42,000

41

Boston & Lockport Block Co

40,000

33

Western Block Co

18,000

38

Miller & Rogers

7,000

15

Franklin Milling Co

30,000

23

Empire Manufacturing Co

30,000

33

Holly Manufacturing Co

500,000

470

Richmond Manufacturing Co

115,000

60

Lockport Pulp Co

65,000

48

Traders' Paper Co

130,000

75

Lockport Paper Co

250,000

100

Niagara Paper Mills

105,000

47

Westerman & Co

100,000

110

Cascade Wood Pulp Co

40,000

16

United Indurated Fibre Co

300,000

300

Cowles Electrlc Smelting & A. Co

150,000

50

Lockport Felt Co

30,000

16

====================

===========

========

Totals

2,531,000

1,881

OUTPUT

Traders' Paper Co

$400,000

Lockport Paper Co

300,000

Niagara Paper Mills

190,000

Westerman & Co

157,500

United Indurated Fibre Co

700,000

Cascade Wood Pulp Co

60,000

Cowles Electric Smelting and Aluminum Co

190,000

Lockport Felt Co

30,000

============

===========

Total

127,500


The Lockport Manufacturers' Association, organized about 1888 by Charles T. Raymond, is composed of manufacturers using water power on the race and creek, and was formed for their mutual benefit. Augustus H. Ivins is president; John A. Merritt, treasurer; and Mr. Raymond, secretary.

One of the most important industries in Lockport is that of the Holly Manufacturing Company, which was organized May 2, 1859, with $20,000 capital. The original stockholders were Thotnas T. Flagler, Charles Keep, Silas H. Marks, L. F. Bowen, Washington Hunt, G. W. Bowen, and Birdsall Holly. The company began the manufacture of pumps and hydraulic machinery, and in later years constructed water works for cities and villages after the plans and inventions of Mr. Holly, referred to on an earlier page. They constructed the Lockport 'Water Works in 1864 and three years later supplied Auburn with a system. Since that time the company has installed their system in hundreds of cities and villages. The massive stone buildings used by the company were completed in 1866. Birdsall Holly is deceased, leaving several sons, only one of whom, Frank W. is resident in Lockport.

What was known as the Holly Steam Combination Company was organized in 1877, for supplying steam heat to cities through street mains upon plans devised by Mr. Holly. The business has been successful. The present title of the company is the American District Steam Company, which was organized in January, 1881.

The manufacture of cotton battin was begun in Lockport in 1870 by George W. Hamlin, who was succeeded by Levan & Gritman, under the name of the Lockport Cotton Batting Company. E. W. Rogers & Son are the present proprietors. The Lockport Glass Works were first established in a small way in 1840 by Hildreth, Marks, Keep & Hitchins. They came into possession of Alonzo J. Mansfield in 1872 and are now operated by A. J. Mansfield & Co. What was formerly the Richmond Mill Furnishing Works are now operated by the Richmond Manufacturing Company, with William Richmond at its head. The business was started in 1869 by James Richmond. The principal product is grist mill machinery. The Penfield Block Works, established in 1864 by Charles R. Penfield, for the extensive manufacture of tackle blocks and sheaves, passed through other hands and are now operated by the Boston and Lockport Block Company. in 1858 Joseph and J. B. Trevor built a large structure for the manufacture of shingle, stave and heading machinery. The business passed in 1864 to W. W. & F. N. Trevor, who were succeeded by the Trevor Manufacturing Company, incorporated in 1890, with W. W. Trevor, president; F. N. Trevor, secretary and treasurer. Pulp machinery is now manufactured by the company. The Lockport Saw Works were established in 1869 by William Cocker and W. W. & F. N. Trevor, under the style of Cocker & Trevor. The business is now carried on by William Cocker. The Field Force Pump Company was organized by Jason Collier and William P. Field, both of whom are deceased, with Harrison S. Chapman, about 1880. The present proprietors of the business are Mr. Chapman and Charles A. Barnes. The large product comprises pumps of various kinds and steam fittings. The United Indurated Fibre Company was originally started in 1886 by Jesse Peterson, Henry G. Cordley, and Charles E. Folger. In 1893 the present company was incorporated under New Jersey laws, with the factory and general office in Lockport. The capital is $757,000 Jesse Peterson is president; Henry G. Cordley, secretary; James E. Hayes, treasurer; Charles E. Folger, assistant treasurer. About 300 hands are employed in the manufacture of household articles from the indurated fibre, the basis of which is wood pulp.

The Empire Manufacturing Company originated with Edwin W. Carey in 1883. In the next year Tiras A. Hall became a partner in the manufacture of cotton hose, belting and elastic surgical goods and the business continues under the above title ; it is a very successful enterprise. The Merritt Machinery Company was organized in 1882 by I E. Merritt, who is now president of the company; the capital is $16,000. The product of the works is wood-working machinery. This company succeeded T. R. Bailey and Vail in the same business. The Lockport Pulp Company was organized in 1889 by James Jackson. jr., A. S. Beverly, W. S. Camp and Augustus H. Ivins; the capacity of the establishment is thirty tons a day. A. H. Ivins is president of the company and Charles T. Raymond, secretary. The Lockport Felt Company, organized in 1891, has its office in Lockport and its factory in what was once the Van Horn woolen mill in the town of Newfane. About twenty hands are employed in the manufacture of paper maker's felts. The company was organized by A. S. Beverly and James Jackson, jr., both of whom are deceased, and Charles T. Raymond, who has since been secretary and since June, 1896, treasurer.

In 1893 John, William, Thomas and George Oliver, of whom William and Thomas are residents in Lockport, formed the firm of Oliver Brothers for the manufacture of brass and iron bedsteads. From 150 to 300 hands are employed; this is one of the largest establishments in the country that makes brass and iron bedsteads. The Niagara Cotton Batting Company was organized in April, 1894, and incorporated by James Cochran, president, and E. H. Baker, secretary and treasurer; both still hold these positions; the capital is $7,000. The Traders' Paper Company was incorporated April 1, 1895, with a capital of $300,000. James A. Roberts is president, and T. E. Ellsworth, secretary and treasurer. A large modern paper mill is operated with success. The Lockport Paper Company was incorporated in 1884 with Charles Keek, president; W. H. Howes, secretary, and Wallace I. Keep, treasurer. The capital has remained $50,000 from the first. The company built its own plant, which was enlarged in 1893 ; the present capacity is twenty-five tons of building paper daily; the present officers are George G. Moss, president; Wallace I. Keep, secretary and treasurer, and John Jack, superintendent.

Other manufactures of the city of considerable importance are the the Cowles Electric Smelting and Aluminum Company, the name of which indicates its business; A. J. Mansfield & Co., glass manufacturers; Bramley Brothers, iron founders and machinists; Evans & Liddle, brooms; Morgan Brothers, boat builders; Norman & Evans, derricks, dredges, etc. ; Ira Bronson & Son, carriages; the Western Block Corn pany, organized 1888, E. J. McGrath, treasurer and manager; G. W. Hildreth & CoW, the Garden Foundry Company, the Hall Iron Works, and Westerman & Co.

For several years an extensive fruit and cold storage business has been successfully carried on in Lockport. Among the leading firms in this line are the Niagara County Fruit Company (Charles W. Hatch, manager); H. C. Hoag & Son, B. J. Furgason, Ferrin Brothers Company. Large storage warehouses have been built and immense quantities of fruit stored, much of it coming in from Western States.

The celebrated Gargling Oil, a remedy with a reputation extending throughout the country, has always been manufactured in Lockport. The business was founded in 1833 by George W. Merchant, a reputable druggist in the village, who made the remedy and submitted it particularly to owners of horses. For certain diseases of this animal it soon acquired a wide celebrity as a sure cure. As the demand for the oil increased Mr. Merchant established an extensive manufactory in connection with his drug store, and in course of time accumulated a competency, and in 1853 retired. He disposed of his business to M. H. Tucker, Dr. B. L. Delano, and H. Waibridge. Under the immediate management of Mr. Tucker, the business was greatly increased and the extensive use of the remedy for human ailments inaugurated, in 1858 a stock company was organized, of which Mr. Tucker was chosen secretary. He died in 1860 and was succeeded by John Hodge. This energetic business man made the oil known almost throughout the globe and greatly increased its sale. The business was under his immediate management until his death.

Lockport has had a Protective Merchants' Association, an Improvement Association, and a Manufacturers' Association ever since it has been a city, but was without a regular Board of Trade until 1891. That year a weekly illustrated paper called Niagara Spray was started there, and it earnestly advocated the organization of an association of the business men of the city, which would perform the general functions of a board of trade and exert itself specifically for the consummation of the long talked of hydraulic canal from the Niagara River to Lockport. The idea met with hearty endorsement on the part of the citizens, and in a short time J. Charles Ferrin, Chauncey E. Dunkleberger, M. H. Hoover, and others secured 225 members. The formal organization occurred in March, 1891, with Hon. John E. Pound as president. Under his able management many things for the material advancement of Lockport were accomplished. A survey of the canal route was made, and the association now owns a map of the same costing $1,200. Hon. William Richmond succeeded Mr. Pound as president, and he now holds that office. The other officers of the Business Men's Association are Dr. M. S. Kittinger, vice-president; M. H. Hoover, secretary; and Joseph A. Ward, treasurer.

In 1895 the Business Men's Association, after a deal of hard work, succeeded in securing a charter from the State for the hydraulic canal. The association further spent several thousands of dollars in securing options on land which it is proposed to turn over to any responsible party or parties who undertake the canal's construction. In order to obtain the charter the association, which was unincorporated, became incorporated as the Niagara, Lockport and Ontario Power Company, ten members of the association being directors, and William Richmond, president.

The act creating the town of Lockport was passed February 2, i 824, long after settlement had begun. The first town meeting was held at the house of Michael D. Mann on the first Tuesday of April, 1824, present, James F. Mason, Hiram Gardner, and Joel M. Parks, justices of the peace. The following officers were then elected Daniel Washburn, supervisor; Morris H. Tucker, town clerk; Eli Bruce, collector; David Pomroy, Henry Norton and John Gooding, assessors; Henry W. Campbell and Nathan Cornstock, overseers of the poor; Eli Bruce, William A. Judd, Joel Herrington and Levi B. Pratt, constables; Jonathan Willett. Henry Gregory and John Williams, commissioners of highways; Jonathan Willett, Joel M. Parks and Oliver L. Willard, commissioners of common schools; William Van Duzer, George H. Boughton and Orsamus Turner, inspectors of common schools.

An overseer of highways was chosen for each of the twenty-five road districts in the town, and each of them was constituted also a fenceviewer. The sum of $50 was voted for building a pound, and $100 for the support of the poor. Ezekiel Fulsom was appointed poundmaster. In that year thirteen entire and fractional school districts were created. The usual regulations for town government were enacted.

Following is a list of supervisors of the town of Lockport from its organization to the present, with the dates of their terms of service:
Daniel Washburn. 1824, 1826; George H. Broughton, 1827, 1828; Morris H. Tucker, 1829; Henry Norton, 1830, 1832; Samuel Works, 1833, 1834; Asa W. Douglas, 1835, 1836; Alonzo T. Prentice, 1837; Jacob Gaunt, 1838. 1839; George W. Rayers, 1840; Timothy Backus, 1841; Robert H. Stevens, 1842; Timothy Backus, 1843; Benjamin Carpenter, 1844, 1845; Asa W. Douglas, 1846; Solomon Parmelee, 1847; Isaac C. Cotton, 1848; Abijah H. Moss, 1849; Rensselaer S. Wilkinson, 1850, 1851; Robert White, 1852; Aionzo T. Prentice, 1853; Charles Evans, 1854; Daniel Van Valkenburgh, 1855; John Jackson, 1856-1858; Benjamin Fletcher. 1859; Jacob Gannt. 1860; Benjamin Fletcher, 1861; James Jackson, 1862; Richard B. Hoag, 1863-1865; Isaac H. Babcock, 1866, 1867; John W. Alberty, 1868, 1869; Ira Farnsworth, 1870; Luther Forsyth, 1871-1873; 5. Clark Lewis, 1874, 1875; Seneca B. Frost, 1876; Nathan S. Gilbert, 1877, 1878, 1879; Reuben M. Randolph, 1880, 1881; Nelson B. Stevens, 1882, 1883; Samuel A. Disinger, 1884, 1885; Leverett A. Campbell, 1886; Almer W. Mitchell, 1887, 1888; John G. Freemab, 1889, 1890, 1891, 1892; William F. Clark, 1893-1894; Charles A. Warren, 1895-1896; Jacob Shimer, 1897-1898. Harvey M. Dysinger has served as town clerk since 1886.

Supervisors of the City of Lockport.- First ward, Henry F. Cady, 1865-66; John W. Steele, 1867-68; James O. King, 1869-71; Charles Whitmore, 1872; James O. King, 1873; John T. Joyce, 1874; John R. Edwards, 1875; W. Wallace Steele, 1876; Hiram H. Wicker, 1877-78; Edwin Le Van, 1879; Ira T. Hoag, 1880-81; David R. Bruce, 1882-83; C. E. Jayne. 1884-85; George L. Smith, 1886; Thomas M. McGrath, 1887; C. W. Hatch, 1888; P. H. Tuohey, 1889; Eugene Kearns, 1890-92; Joseph W. Turner, jr., 1893-94; Eugene Reams, 1895-96; Frank Maroney, 1897. Second ward, Horatio Kilbomne, 1865-69; William R. Ford, 1870-71; Hiram McCollum, 1872-75; Joseph W. Little, 1876; Hiram McCollum, 1877; John Hawkes, 1878; Patrick Sharkey, 1879-80; John Lardner, 1881-82; C. A. Olmsted, 1883; Alfred Morgan, 1884; J. G. Norman. 1885; Thomas Laydin. 1886; M. C. Conlin, 1888-89; John Hawkes, 1890-91; Thomas R. Large, 1892-94; T. F. Moran, 1895-96; H. F. Redigan, 1897. Third ward, Thomas T. Flagler, 1865-66; S. Rollin Daniels, 1867; N. E. Moore, 1868; William E. Jenney, 1869; John E. Pound, 1870; F. P. Weaver, 1871; James Atwater, 1882-74; Austin Dunton. 1875; Origen Storrs, 1876; E. A. Holt, 1877-80; Jacob A. Driess, 1881; James Atwater, 1882-94; John F. Little, 1895-97. Fourth ward, William Weld, 1866; John T. Murray, 1867; W. H. Ransom, 1868- 69; F. F. Rogers, 1870; Austin Dunton. 1871; Perry G. Wadhams, 1872-73; John T Murray, 1874-75; William Lambert, 1870; W. T. Ransom, 1877; Perry G. Wadhams, 1878-79; rrhomas Scovell, 1880-81; Oliver C. Gibson, 1882-83; Albert R. Furgason, 1884-85; Alexander W. Nelson, 1886; Blaise Miller, 1887-88 William H. Epson, 1889-91; William Lambert, 1892-94; L. 3. Angevine, 1895-96; Norman O. Allen, 1897. Fifth ward, John B. Naismith, 1892; Edwin A. Doty, 1893-94; Joseph W. Little, 1895-97. Sixth ward, John McCue, 1892; Rufus Gibbs, 1893-94; Francis B. White, 1895-97.

The little hamlet of Warren's Corners is situated on the Ridge road in the northwest part of the town, a portion of it lying in the edge of the town of Cambria. Ezra Warren was one of the more prominent of the early settlers here, coming in 1813, and from him the place took its name. He opened a tavern and kept it many years and made it very popular. A store and several shops were early established here and previous to the war of 1812 considerable business was transacted. A Methodist class was formed at Warren's Corners in 1825 by Rev. John Copeland, of which Ezra Warren, Isaac Warren, Josiah Warren, Edwin Warren, Thomas Canton, German Bush, Jonathan Benson and Thomas Fowler were members; they were all early settlers in that vicinity. A church edifice was erected in 1833 on land donated to the society. In 1858 the building was sold and removed and the present brick building erected on the site.

Chestnut Ridge is the name applied to a closely settled farming district in the east part of the town. It has no business interests, but a Methodist church was organized there in January, 1834, with Sylvester Flagler, Theodore Stone, Titus Hall, Moses Rummery and Elijah Gibbs, trustees. Meetings were held for a time in the school house, district No. 3, but in 1835 a church edifice was built at a cost of $1,350; it was enlarged and improved in 1866.

The pleasant village of Rapids is situated in the southeastern part of the town on Tonawanda Creek, and took its name from the fact that the current of the stream is more rapid there than at any other point; a bridge was built across the creek here early in the qentury which was called the Rapids bridge. The first settlers here were Amos and S. B. Kinne, who purchased land from Joseph Ellicott's heirs in 1839 and laid out some village lots. Very little progress was made, however, until 1849, when Orange Mansfield built a saw mill near the creek to be operated by steam ; it stood about on the site of the later grist mill. G. H. Utley built and conducted a good hotel and Horace Cummings built a store, in which he sold groceries; in 1853 he sold out to one Williams, who put in a general stock. William Heroy built the grist mill. Among the present or recent business interests of the place may be mentioned Joseph Edwards, grocer and postmaster; Oliver J. Bruce, merchant; Peter Rossman, blacksmith, and Jacob Shimer, creamery.

The Rapids Free Church Association was formed in 1850 with A. J. Mansfield, Robert B. Kinne (who was an early settler), Mr. Williams, James Kinne and Sylvester Collins, trustees. The association embraced persons of any denomination. A Methodist class and a Wesleyan Methodist society were then in existence. The association promptly built a church, which stood several years before it was finished The building is now occupied by the United Brethren chtirch, which was organized about 1860, and absorbed most of the religious elements of that vicinity.

There are several hamlets in the town of Lockport outside of the city, the first settlements at which have been mentioned. Wright's Corners is in the north part of the town. The first business to be established at that point after the war of 1812 was a hotel which was kept by a man named Barber; after his death it was kept by his family until it was burned, about 1820. Two of Mr. Barber's daughters were burned to death in the building. Another hotel a little later was kept by Alva Buck; it, however, stood just across the Newfane line. Solomon Wright settled there on the Ridge Road about 1822, and from him the corners took the name. He also opened a public house and kept it many years. The post office was opened there about 1826 and Mr. Wright was the first official in charge. His hotel was burned in 1861.

David Maxwell, from New Jersey, settled at Johnson's Creek in 1819; besides conducting a farm of 100 acres he also kept a hotel. He was a surveyor and laid out the well.known Hess road. In 1824 he purchased a farm at Wright's Corners and settled there. He became a leading citizen, opened and conducted the first store at the Corners, which he kept until 1840. It was through his influence that a charter was obtained for the road known as the Long Causeway. A few shops and small business interests have since existed at this point. A Presbyterian church was organized here in 1872, as an offshoot from the societies of this denomination in Lockport.

There is a post-office with the name of Raymond on what is known as Raymond Hill, in the southern part of the town. Solomon Dershaw is the local merchant there and postmaster. In February, 1858, the First Evangelical Society of the Town of Lockport was incorporated, with Adam Roeder, John Dunkelberger and Adam Schreiber, trustees. Services in this faith had been held in that vicinity for several years prior to that time. A frame church was erected in 1857.

Part 1 - General History

Part 2 - Church History


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy