The original sources show that the first settler in the northern part of the township of Union was Benjamin
Norton, who came into this section in 1794. Three years later, Amos Howard located near him, and Alfred and Russell
Gates settled still farther to the northward in what came to be known as the Gates neighborhood. About the same
time Daniel Howard and Winthrop Roe became neighbors of those already mentioned, while Moses Delano and Nathaniel
Slosson entered the Nanticoke valley at this point in 1800. The first birth that can be definitely recorded to
the settlers of this part of Union was Cynthia, daughter of Winthrop Roe, born in July, 1797. The first school
was taught by Betsey Ward, in 1802; the first grist mill was built by Daniel Howard in 1810, while Jared Ketchum
opened the first store in what was afterward called Maine village in 1825. Other early settlers in this vicinity
were Asa Curtis, tanner, currier and farmer; Thompson Lewis, Samuel Stone, Heman Payne, Marsena McIntyre, Timothy
Caswell, Henry Marean, John Marean and James Ketchum, all of whom came between 1794 and 1820. A little to the eastward
of Delano’s Corners a number of Scotch men settled at what was known as Mt. Ettrick, in remembrance of their countryman
and relative James Hogg. Among these were ‘Squire William Hogg, James Hogg, Robert Hogg, the Paisleys, and the
March 27th, 1848, the township of Maine was formed from the township of Union. Eight years later a small portion
of the northeastern part was set off to Chenango, leaving 28,429 acres, which comprises its territory at the present
time. At the first election held for the election of officers after the organization of the township the following
were chosen: Supervisor, Andrew H. Arnold; town clerk, John W. Hunt; superintendent of schools, Marshall Delano;
collector, John T. Davis; justices of the peace, Cyrus Gates, John Blanchard and Hanan W. Mooers; assessors, Orange
H. Arnold, Thomas Youngs, Jr., William H. Tuttle; commissioners of highways, Hanan Payne and Edward W. Ward; overseers
of the poor, Dexter Hathaway and Matthew Allen; pound master, Lyman Pollard. These additional particulars in regard
to the township at the time it became a separate organization will be of interest. In 1848 the population of Maine
was not far from 1,800; in 1850 the number of people had reached 1,843; 1860, 1,609; 1870, 2,305; 1880, 2,129;
1890, 1,692; 1900, 1,534; 1910, 1,363; 1920, 1,360.
With Maine, as with all similar political organizations, there was a tendency to establish groups of people in
hamlets and villages. The principal of Maine’s villages has always been Maine, a pleasant village situated on the
road leading from Union to Whitney Point. From the best information obtainable, William Hovey was the first to
locate on the village site. Little progress was made, however, until Captain Stoddard built a mill at Maine in
1825. At that time the Presbyterians had a church here, and history preserves the name of Milton Taylor as one
of the first to conduct a store in the village, beginning in about 1837. William Lincoln came with a stock of goods
in 1840. Niles and Perkins opened a store in the same year. A Baptist and a Methodist church also were organized
at Maine. The first village tavern was started in 1825 by Oliver Whitcomb. In 1832 E. H. Clark began to operate
a tannery here; Michael Mooers established a cabinet shop in 1830, being succeeded by William Flint in 1860. Maine
was made a postal station in 1828. One fraternal organization, Maine Lodge, No. 399, F. and A. M., with its sister
organization, the Eastern Star, are well maintained.
East Maine and North Maine, together with Bowers Corners, are smaller hamlets, with a few people clustering about
While most of the family names which belonged to the early settlers of Maine have passed away through death or
removal, not a few residents of the township today trace their ancestry to remote times. Some retain the name Marean,
others are descendants of the Delanos, the Holdens, the Hoggs at Mt. Ettrick, the Leadbetters and Parkers of East
Maine and the Nortons and representatives of the Curtis and Ketchum families. Some in the list of officers of the
township trace their ancestry back to very early times. The roster of present officials: Supervisor, George W.
Youngs; town clerk, O. L. Ketchum; assessors, Wellington Carley, Asa Loomis, Burt Durfee; superintendent of highways,
Jerry B. Wright; justices of the peace, P. F. Swift, Ralph Carley, Frank Brigham, Harry Woodward; collector, E.
S. Ellis; superintendent of the poor, Chauncey McIntyre; constables, Henry Brown, Samuel Dence, Lucius Vandeburg,
Clayton Ames. In 1920 the population of Maine was 1,360. The assessed valuation in 1921 was, real property, $531,949.00;
personal, $5,000; franchises, $251,110.00.
General stores are carried on by Henry Derano, Dyer & Lamb, aDd the Tymeson Brothers.