History of Charleston, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
OF Montgomery County, N. Y. For 1869-70.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1869


CHARLESTON was formed from the old town of Mohawk, Marcg 12, 1793. The remaining part of Mohawk was organized as Florida, and the original town abolished. Glen and a part of Root were taken off in 1823. It lies upon the south border of the County and is the only town that does not border on the Mohawk. It occupies a portion of the high plateau region immediately west of Sehoharie Creek, and the greater part of the surface is an undulating upland. On the east it descends in steep declivities to the valley of the creek, at this place, a narrow ravine. The streams are small. The soil is a fertile loam, mixed with clay, and is especially adapted to spring grains and dairying. The town has some manufactures, consisting chiefly of sash and blinds, woolen goods and flour.

Burtonville, (p. v..) in the south part of the town, on Sehoharie Creek, contains two churches, two hotels, two stores, a woolen factory, a grist mill, a saw mill, a sash and. blind factory, two carriage shops, three blacksmith shops and 36 dwellings.

The Woolen Mill of A. G. Randall runs one set of cards and 240 spindles.

The Flouring Mill of C. M. Satterly contains fiva runs of stones and grinds about 50,000 bushels annually.

The Christian church at Burtonville was organized. December 23, 1865, with 18 members, and now numbers 60.

The Methodist church was organized in 1857 and now numbers 90 members.

The village received its name from Judali Burt9n, the first settler.

Charleston Four Corners, (p. v.) in the south-west part of the town, contains a church, a hotel, a store, a cabinet shop, a blacksmith shop, a carriage shop, a cooper shop, two hay hoop manufactories and twenty-nine dwellings.

Charleston (p. v.) contains a church, a hotel, a store, a tannery, a blacksmith shop, two shoe shops and nine dwellings.

Oak Ridge contains about a dozen dwellings.

The Christian Church of Charleston Four Corners was organized in 1813, with twelve members, and now has over 200.

The Cheese Factory at the same place uses the milk of 350 cows and makes about 100,000 pounds of cheese annually.

The Baptist Church at Charleston was organized in 1793, and now has 80 members. Elijah Herrick was the first pastor.

A portion of this town was included in. Corry's Patent, a tract of 25,000 acres granted to William Corry and others in 1637; and other parts were included in the Stone Heap Patent, granted to John Bowen and others in 1770; and Thomas. Machinís Patent of 1787.

The first settlements were made previous to the Revolution. Among the early settlers were Robert Winchell, Nathan Tracy, Aden Brownley, Abia Beaman, Henry Mapes, Abner Throop, David and Nathan Kimball, Thomas Machin, Captain John Stanton, John Eddy and Ezekiel Tracy.

The population of the town in 1865 was 1,687, and its area 26,326 acres.


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy