GLEN, named in honor of Jacob S. Glen, a prominent citizen of the town, was formed from Charleston, April 10, 1823.
It lies on the south bank of the Mohawk and west of Schoharie Creek. Its surface is chiefly uplands about 600 feet
high, descending by abrupt declivities to the narrow intervales along the streams. The principal streams are Auries
Creek, which flows into the Mohawk, and Irish Creek, flowing into the Schoharie. The first named is the Dutch for
Aaron’s Creek, and received its name from an Indian in the vicinity. The Indian name was Ogh-rack-ie. The soil
is a clayey loam, for the most part, and very productive. One mile east of Voorheesville is a chalybeate spring.
Attempts have been made to obtain iron but without success. Upon Schoharie Creek, about two miles above its mouth,
is a high bank formed by a land slide and called by the Indians, Co-daugh-ri-ty, signifying “Steep Bank,” or “Perpendicular
Fultonville, (p. v.) named in honor of Robert Fulton, is located on the Mohawk River and the Erie Canal, adjoining
the corporate limits of Florida. It was incorporated in 1846 and contains two churches, viz., Methodist and Reformed;
two hotels, a union school, a steam flouring, planing and plaster mill, two steam saw mills, a steam sash and blind
factory, a grain elevator, a furnace and machine shop, several other manufactories of various kinds and about 1,300
inhabitants. John W. Wilson is the president of the village.
The Methodist Church at Fultonville was organized in 1855 with twelve members. N. G. Spaulding was the first pastor.
The church edifice was erected the same year, at a cost of $6,000. The number of members at present is 40. E. Baker
is the pastor.
Glen, (p. v.) located near the center of the town, contains two churches, a hotel, a store, a tannery, a wagon
shop, a cheese factory, making 144,000 pounds annually; two blacksmith shops and about 125 inhabitants.
The Reformed Church of Glen was organized at an early day and the church edifice erected in 1795. A new edifice
is about to be erected at a cost of $12,000. The present membership is 99; the pastor is Rev. F. V. Van Vranken.
Auriesville, (p. v.) near the mouth of Auries Creek, is a canal village and contains about 200 inhabitants.
Van Epp’s Cheese Factory, located about three-fourths of a mile west of Fultonville, makes about 50,000 pounds
of cheese annually.
Mill Point is a hamlet on Schoharie Creek, in the south-east part of the town, and contains a hotel, a store, a
grist mill, a saw mill and a broom factory.
The Union Star Grist Mill of James J. Faulkner is a framed building, nearly new, has three runs of stones and a
capacity for grinding 800 bushels per day.
The land bordering upon the river was granted in ten patents to different persons from 1722 to 1726, and most of
the remainder was granted to James De Lancey in. 1737. Peter Quackenboss settled, on Scott’s Patent, near Auries
Creek, soon. after it was secured, and was probably the first white inhabitant of the town. About 1740 sixteen
Irish families, under the patronage of Sir William Johnson, settled on Corry’s Patent, a few miles south-west of
Fort Hunter. After making improvements to some extent, they finally returned to Ireland in consequence of threatened
disturbances by the Indians. A son of the first settler married Annie, daughter of Captain John Scott, the patentee,
and settled about a mile east of Fultonville, on what was formerly the County poor farm. Their son John, born about
1725, was the first white child born on the south side of the Mohawk, between Fort Hunter and Qerman Flats. Cornelius
Putnam settled. at Codaughrity, Richard Hoff one mile west of Glen, Nicholas Gardiner and. John Van Epps on the
Mohawk, and Charles Van Epps at Fultonville. A small block house was erected here near the close of the Revohition.
The first school was taught at the house of J. S. Quackenboss by a man by the name of Hazard. William Quackenboss
kept the first inn at Auriesyille, in 1797, and. Myndert Starin kept one at Fultonville at an earlier date. The
first store at Glen was kept by John Smith, in 1797, and. one was kept on the Mohawk, east of Fultonville, by Isaac
Quackenboss. Peter and Simon Mabie built a saw mill and carding machine in 1797, and Peter Quackenboss a grist
mill, on Auris Creek, soon after.
This town was the scene of many interesting incidents during the Revolutionary war. It furnished its full proportion
of victims for the Oriskany battle and for the Indian incursions during that long and blody struggle for Independence.
In the fall of 1779 a noted Tory by the name of George Cuck, who had. frequently led parties of Indians in their
incursions upon the homes of his old neighbors, was seen lurking about and was fired upon at one time and narrowly
escaped. death. It was supposed that he had returned to Canada, but towards spring it became known that he was
concealed at the house of John Van Zuyler, a relative and. brother Tory. A party surrounded the house, dragged
Cuck from his hiding place and shot him, and arrested Van Zuyler and sent him to Albany a prisoner. In the fall
of 1780 the whole settlement was ravaged and many of the people were murdered. On one occasion Isaac Quackenboss
was out hunting and discovered three Indians sitting on a log. He fired, killing two and mortally wounding the
third. The last council between the Indians and Americans held in this County previous to the Revolution, was in
October, 1775, about two miles east of Fultonville.
The first church (Ref. Prot. Dutch) was formed at Glen; Re-v. Henry V. Wyckoff was the first pastor.
The population of the town in 1865 was 2,737, and its area 21,273 acres.