Another of the inland towns of Broome county is Nanticoke. Without railway connections with the outside world,
Nanticoke is a purely agricultural community. The territory was originally included in that of the township of
Union, its early settlers being men who pushed their way from the Valley of the Susquehanna up the Nanticoke creek,
so that we find them carving out homes here and there to the northward of Union and Maine, at about the same time
that these townships were beginning to make history.
In 1793 Philip Councilman made the first settlement in Nanticoke. at what was then termed Councilman settlement,
but which at a later date took the name of Glen Aubrey. Others of the Councilman family who located at this point
were Philip Jr., Peter, Henry and John. These men left their imprint on the life of the community, and although
few representatives of their families are to be found in the section today, their work remains. Shortly after the
Councilmans came to the settlement, John Ames, James Stoddard and John Beachtle followed their trail up the creek,
the latter, together with John Ames, coming from Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, while Mr. Stoddard was a native
of Connecticut. Betsey Stoddard, born in 1794, a daughter of James, was the first child to brighten the settlement.
Over the hills to the westward from Councilman’s settlement Isaac Lamb located, giving his name to the hamlet which
grew up around his home. Lamb’s Corners was until quite recently the name of this village, when it was replaced
by that of Nanticoke. Some representatives of the Lamb family still remain in that locality. Still another family
of historical prominence was that of the Mareans— Vincent and William. The Hodges, the Dunhams, the Rileys, the
Adriances and the Hydes had a great part in clearing up the forests and bringing Nanticoke to its present state
of beauty and developing the lands along the streams and farther out on the hills of the township.
When the township of Lisle was set off from Union in 1801, Nanticoke went with it and remained a part of that township
until April 18, 1831, when by an act of the Legislature a new township to be known thereafter as Nanticoke, an
Indian name, was erected. In compliance with the act establishing the township, the first town meeting was held
at the house of Philip Councilman, at which time the following officers were elected: Supervisor, N. Remele; town
clerk, H. B. Stoddard; justices of the peace, Silas Hemingway, H. B. Stoddard, David Councilman, Charles Brookens;
overseers of the poor, Samuel Caufield, John Councilman; commissioners of highways, F. S. Griggs, H. Walter, James
Lamb; commissioners of schools, F. S. Griggs, A. N. Remele, J. L. Smith; assessors, Charles Brookens, Hiram Rogers,
Silas Hemingway; collector, Philip Councilman.
The only villages in the town of Nanticoke are Glen Aubray and Nanticoke. These hamlets grew up around lumber
and flour mills, and as long as the deep forests in the township afforded material, people continued to collect
about them. The time came, however, when the timber supply was practically exhausted, the mills fell into decay
and population deteriorated. We shall be interested in following the figures which record this gradual decay. In
1835, Nanticoke numbered 295; in 1850, 576; in 1860, 797; in 1870, 1,058; in 1880, 999; in 1890, 728; in 1900,
666; in 1910, 536; in 1920, 444.
At both Glen Aubrey and Nanticoke, churches and stores are still maintained, as well as public schools. At one
time a small hamlet sprang up at what was known as Nanticoke Springs, between Nanticoke and Maine village. The
waters of the springs at this place were considered healthful and the place gained considerable notoriety as a
health resort. The boarding house put up by Nathan Cadwell was destroyed by fire about 1865. This was practically
the end of the settlement at this place, only a farm house remaining to mark the site of this once popular resort.
Remote as it is from any railroad or centre of population, Nanticoke has recently come into touch with the outside
world through the medium of the telephone and electric lights. The Binghamton Heat, Light and Power Company in
1921 and 1922 put up a line by which to furnish the farmers of Union Centre, Maine village, and Glen Aubrey with
electricity for lighting and power purposes. Many homes along the Nanticoke valley have already been wired for
electricity, and it may be possible that before this history is published the current will have been turned on
and the people will be in the enjoyment of this modern innovation. Radio messages will be the next great agent
to make the lives of the residents of this and other townships of Broome county happier and more tolerable.
Nanticoke township contains 15,399 acres of land, which has been largely brought under cultivation. The value of
the real property of. the township is $189,916, with franchises assessed at $6,369. The following officers were
serving in 1922: Supervisor, Arthur Riley; town clerk, Laura Vanderburg; assessors, Elmer Dunham, Clyde Bush; superintendent
of highways, Bruce Vanderburg; justices of the peace, Lennis Whittaker, Peter Bidwell, Kate Morgan, Charles Slack;
collector, William D. Fuller; superintendents of the poor, Louis Willis, Fred Hoden; constables, Leon Hodges, James
Davern and Homer Morgan.