BY HON. H. H. WAKELY.
The first settlers within the present bounds of New Hudson were John Spencer and
Joseph Patterson. Both settled in the northwest part of the town in 1847. In 1820 Spencer Lyon, who had in 1819
made a small clearing and began a log house in the south part of the town, came with his family from Vermont by
way of Syracuse, where he bought a barrel of salt. The last night before reaching the place of their new home they
stayed at the Rawson tavern, on the county line road, where the barrel of salt was left to pay the bill, and at
the end of his journey Mr. Lyon's cash capital was an old-fashioned sixpence. He prospered at his new home, raised
a large family, lived to old age, and died comparatively wealthy. In 1821 James Davidson, John C. McKean and Jonas
Eastwood settled in the south part near Spencer Lyon. The first birth in town was that of Mary McKean in 1821.
In 1822 Stephen Clayson and Elias Briggs and his father settled in the south part. The Briggs family came from
Schenectady with an ox team and were 17 days on the road. In June, 1822, Earl Gould and Catharine Eastwood were
married, being the first marriage in town. In 1821 Mrs. Graham McKean taught a school in the Lyon neighborhood.
In 1823 Jacob B. McElheny and his father, Thomas McElheny, settled at Black Creek in the south part of the town.
They were originally from Easton, Pa., but had for a few years previous to coming to New Hudson lived in Dryden,
N. Y. Thomas McElheny was justice of the peace for many years and died in 1843. Jacob B. McEtheny, best known as
Col. McElheny, from being colonel of militia, lived at Black Creek the remainder of his life and died in 1881 aged
83. George H. Swift with his father, Wyatt Swift, from Vermont, settled on Swifts Hill in 1824, and in 1825 Nehemiah
Bosworth from Vermont located on lot 55, and the same year Peter Ault settled in the west part of the town.
About 1824 and 1825 many' settlers came among whom were Samuel Blodgett, Alden Griffin, Orange Hart, James Swain,
Elizur Beckwith, Lucius Frost, Amos Rose, James Jamison, John C. Casterline, Brown Dimick and Elias Cheeseinan.
In 1826 Jared C. Hurd and father settled at Black Creek. Among the early settlers in the north part were Ebenezer
and Silas Gere, and later Marshall Gere and father, Orlin Marsh and others from Vermont came in 1830. A barn, built
by Elias Cheeseman in the southeast part of the town in the early days of the settlement, was covered with split
shingles, or "shakes," fastened with wooden pegs instead of nails, the only nails then used being wrought
nails hammered out on an anvil, and mostly made in England and Germany and costing 25 cents a pound.
Reuben Bennett and family settled on Mt. Monroe in the west part of the town, and an incident relating to Oliver
Bennett may be mentioned. At that time the old state militia law was in force, all able bodied men from 18 to 45
years of age were enrolled, and were obliged to attend company and regimental drill at stated times, failing in
which they were subject to a fine. Oliver, after due notice, failed to attend. A warrant for his arrest was procured
and put into the hands of Thomas Carpenter, a fat constable of the town, who found Oliver a half mile off in the
woods logging a fallow. Young Bennett, who was an athletic man, made no resistance, but was taken suddenly very
sick and lay on the ground groaning in great pain. As there was no way to get any where near him with a wagon,
the constable had to look after help enough to carry Bennett through the woods to the road.
Early in the settlement James Dinsmore moved in, bringing his family and goods from New Hampshire in a lumber wagon
covered with sole leather. He was more than a month on the way. The sole leather proved a blessing to the settlement
as no article was then more scarce.
Many of the first settlers brought into the wilderness a few "head" of cattle, and a serious trouble
was to get them through the first winter; settlements had been made earlier on the Genesee River, and usually a
small amount of forage could be got from there, but the main dependence was "browsing." Trees were felled
through the day, the limbs lopped off and scattered around for the cattle to eat off the buds and small branches.
Toward night the brush was snugly piled to be burned the next spring, when the land could be cleared for corn,
oats or potatoes, but there must be no neglect, snow or blow, it must regularly be gone through. One man relates
that he wintered nine cattle in this way by dividing one small bundle of oats among them each day.
The oldest person born in New Hudson and now living in the town is Lucius B. Lyon of Black Creek.
New Hudson was set off from Rushford April 10, 1825. The town was first named Haight, after General Haight of Cuba,
who in consideration agreed to donate to the town 100 acres of land lying near the center of the town, but afterward
proposed to give a contract only for the land so long as it should retain his name. The people became disgusted
with his evasions and in 1837 changed the name to New Hudson.
The first town meeting was held at the house of Orange Hart, May 3, 1825, when were elected James Swain, supervisor;
John C. MeKean, clerk; James Jamison, Elizur Beckworth, Silas Gere, assessors; Samuel Bell, Jacob B. McElheny,
Samuel Blodgett, commissioners of highways; Lucius Frost, Amos Rose, James Davidson, overseers of the poor; Ephraim
Briggs, John C. Casterline, school commissioners; Alden Griffith, collector; Brown Dimick, Alden Griffith, constables;
Elias Cheeseman, John C. McKean and Samuel Blodgett, school inspectors.
THE SUPERVISORS since have been:
1826, '28, '30, Alden Griffith; 1827, John C. McKean; 1831, '32, '42, '43, '49, Jacob B. McElheny; 1833, '35, Silas
F. Littlejohn; 1834, James Swain; 1836, '37, '41, A. R. Allen; 1838, '39, '56, Calvin Allen; 1840, Eleazer Carr;
1844, R. H. Loomis; 1845, '46, Calvin Swift; 1847, '48, Leonard Nichols; 1850, '52, Isaac Spaulding; 1853, '54,
C. F. Truesdell; 1855, C. H. Sayres; 1857, '60, '64, '73, N. D. Bell; 1861, '63, '67, '69, S. L. Davidson; 1865,
'66, J. Q. Vaughn; 1870, '71, '76, '84, H. H. Wakely; 1872, George Clark; 1874, '75, '82, '83, H. P. Ricker; 1878,
B. F. Johnson; 1879. '80, Squire Vaughn; 1881, L. B. Lyon; 1885, '86, A. S. Thompson; 1887, '88, J. B. Sayres;
1889, '90, '91, Elbert Bennett; 1892, '93, '95, Clarence Ricker; 1894, Freeborn Gee.
John C. McKean, first town clerk in 1825 and 1826, has been succeeded by: 1827, Fred Westfall; 1828, Truman Phelps;
1829, '30, 36, Isaac L. Andrews; 1831, Silas F. Littlejohn; 1832, '35, A. R. Allen; 1833, '34, '37, '42, '46. '47,
'53, '54, '56, 62, Reuben E Loomis; 1843, '49, '52, Leonard Nichols; 1844, '45, M. T. Atwood; 1848, E. F. Bard;
1855, George E. Allen; 1863, '64, J. E. Caldwell; 1865, '67, '70, '73, '74, Gilbert E. Loomis; 1866, Seneca Allen;
1871, Nelson Alexander; 1872, George Clark; 1875, '76, L. B. Lyon; 1877, B. F. Johnson; 1879, A. M. Waterbury;
1881, Frank Case; 1882, Melvin Crabb; 1883, '84, '85, Frank Lyon; 1886, '87, C. S. Westfall; 1888, '89, '90, '91,
Clarence Ricker; 1892, A. B. Larabee; 1893, '94, '95, M. J. Dunn.
Population, 1830, 655; 1835, 1,065; 1840, 1,520; 1845, 1,296; 1850, 1,433; 1855, 1,451; 1860, 1,316; 1865, 1,219;
1870, 1,142; 1875, 1,147; 1880, 1,034; 1890, 978; 1892, 1,028. There are 22,200 acres in the town. The equalized
value of real estate in 1895 is $347,958 of personal property $42,795. The total amount of taxes spread on valuation
$4,387.89. Value per acre $15.67. Work on the Genesee Valley canal was the cause of the population being greatest
in 1840. The houses of the first settlers of New Hudson were like most first settlers in a wilderness, made of
logs chinked up and plastered with mud. A chimney made of stone or sticks and mud with a large open fireplace served
to warm the house and cook by. A few feet above the fire, across the chimney was placed a pole, called a "lug
pole," on which a long iron hook was hung, called a "trammel," the lower end having holes in which
a smaller hook could be raised or lowered to hang a kettle on. Some (few) had a crane fastened in the jamb of the
fireplace, which could be swung out from over the fire, and would also serve for more than one kettle.
A large part of the town when first settled was covered with a growth of excellent pine timber and much pine was
burned to clear the land for crops. For some time after the first sawmills were built in the town the only market
for lumber was to deliver it on the bank of Oil Creek at Cuba to be rafted and run to Pittsburgh or Cincinnati
and the price was $6 per M. for clear pine.
In 1826 William Andrews opened a tavern at Black Creek which was kept up for more than 20 years, and had the reputation
of furnishing excellent fare for that date. Soon after a store was opened at the same place by Nelson McCall, furnished
with a small assortment of every class of goods likely to be then in demand.
The first sawmill was built near the north line of the town by Ebenezer and Silas Gere in 1827 or 1828. The next
year James Davidson built a sawmifi in the south part of the town and others were built soon after in different
The first doctor in town was Calvin Allen from Vermont who, for a time after coming, boarded at the Andrews tavern,
was married soon after and spent most of his life at Black Creek.
From the opening of the Erie canal Buffalo was for many years the base of supplies for New Hudson, although the
people often went to Hammondsport for salt. After the Genesee Valley canal was finished to Mt. Morris, most of
the lumber and shingles were taken to that market, and most kinds of goods brought in from there.
There was originally a fine tract of pine timber lying along the north border of the town which was bought up by
John McGraw of Dryden, who, in the early fifties, built a sawmill near the north line of the town and for some
years did an extensive lumber business at that point, shipping the lumber at Caneadea on the canal. A considerable
village sprang up about the mill and was called McGraville. After manufacturing the best of the timber the tract
was sold to Albright & Kelly of New Jersey, and a store was kept in connection with the lumber business by
After the lumbering was finished the tract was sold to William Simpson of New York City, who cleared up the land
and devoted it to stock raising, and for many years the farm was famous for the fine Jerseys bred there, which
were sold and shipped to all parts of the United States. The farm is now owned and managed by William Simpson,
Jr. A few thoroughbred cattle are still kept at the farm, but for a few years past the farm has been almost entirely
used for raising and training horses. He has about 175 horses and colts, all from trotting breeds. The farm consists
of 1,300 acres and is amply furnished with convenient barns, and has for exercise a half-mile circular track, while
for winter use there is a covered track onefourth mile long and 24 ft. wide, shingled, sided up, nicely painted
and well lighted on both sides. The horses are all kept at the farm during winter, hut in summer a part are taken
to other points for training. The farm is at present under the care of James Hurley and E. F. Ives. Mr. Simpson
is at the farm but a small part of his time, but aiways has in charge obliging, intelligent men who are especially
attentive to visitors. About 20 men are employed in care of the farm.
New Hudson belonged to the Holland Purchase, and the first contracts for land in town were made by William Pinkerton,
Jonathan Dodge, Daniel Dodge and Ebenezer Horton. This was in 1806, ten or twelve years before any permanent settlement;
and it seems none of the parties ever made any improvement, and it is probable that the land reverted to the company
for ack of payment. It is generally conceded that the Holland Company was very lenient about exacting payment of
the first settlers for their land. Their practice was to "article," or contractthe land to purchasers,
stipulating certain payments, but the settlers had few means of obtaining money, but soon began raising cattle
and every fall the company would send around an agent to buy the cattle and credit the amount on their contract.
The company would collect the cattle in a drove and drive them to some eastern market.
From about 1830 to 1850 a considerable business was done in manufacturing deer skin gloves and mittens by residents
formerly from Gloversville and Johnstown. The skins were partly picked up in Pennsylvania and some were brought
from the south; among the persons engaged in the business were Spaulding & Carpenter, Rorabeck & McElheny
and Sloan & Jamison. The skins were dressed, then cut up and given out to women to be made up by hand.
In 1856 the Genesee Valley canal was finished through to Olean, and for the next 20 years New Hudson had a convenient
market for its lumber, shingles, wood and bark. There are at present three postoffices in the town, one at Black
Creek, one in the north part of the town called New Hudson and one in Marsh Settlement, called Marshall. There
has been since early in the settiment from one to three stores at Black Creek, and usually one at McGrewville,
now called New Hudson. There are at present seven cheese factories in the town.
The first religious meeting held in New Hudson was at the house of Jonas Eastwood,
Methodist preacher at Black Creek in 1831, who continued his labors for some years, and, in 1827, organized a Methodist
Episcopal society. The meetings were usually held in the schoolhouse for the next ten years, when a church was
built by the society, which ever since has had the services of a pastor; and have always had, and still have, a
large membership. In 1848 an addition was built on front of the church with a belfry and bell. Again in 1881 a
vestibule was added to the church, and new windows were put in and a furnace was put in the basement. This church
has always been known as the "Black Creek M. E. Church."
In 1822 a Presbyterian society was formed at Black Creek with six members by Rev. Robert Hubbard under the care
of the Presbytery of Bath. A church edifice was built the next year. The Rev. Reuben Hurd was the first pastor.
In 1831 some division took place, a portion of the members joining a society in the north part of the town. In
1825 the society numbered 11 members. In 1833 45 members. Somewhere about 1828, by the efforts of the Littlejohn
families, a Presbyterian church was built at the center of the town, which a few years afterwards was moved to
Bellville in North Valley, where for some years religious meetings were held. After a time the church was abandoned
and was some time ago torn down and removed. In 1844 the Presbyterian churches at Black Creek and North Valley
re-organized and are now known as Congregationalist.
A Methodist Episcopal society was early formed in the north part of the town. It built a church edifice and maintained
religious services till recently. At present the church is rented to the Baptist society, which has been kept up
since 1828, but has never owned a church building.
A Wesleyan Methodist society was organized July 7, 1885, at North Valley with W. A. Stanfield as pastor. They hold
their meetings in the district school house. They have 11 members, and their present pastor is Rev. G. W. Sibley,
president of Lockport Conference.
The religious societies of New Hudson inherited to a great extent all the strict doctrines of the churches of Europe.
The Presbyterians preached and practiced the doctrines of Calvin and John Knox, the Baptists thought it sacrilege
to relax the practice of close communion, while the Methodists strove valiantly against any innovation of the teaching
of Wesley and the simplicity of worship of the early fathers. An incident will illustrate this feeling in the Methodist
society at Black Creek. After it had become strong in membership and had built a church some of the members wanted
to introduce choir singing. Other members bitterly opposed it, urging that the congregation should do the singing
"as genuine Methodists had always done in the past." This raised a contention which lasted for some time,
but, in the end, a choir was organized and peace was partially restored for a time, but the worst was yet to come.
In time the leader of the choir wanted to use a bass-viol and discard the "pitch pipe." This proposition
was, by a part of the members, thought to be a horrid desecration of God's house, and. a contention was again raised
that lasted for weeks. However, at a special meeting the bass-viol carried the day by a majority vote, most of
the younger members voting in favor of it. On the next sabbath the big viol, six feet high; was carried into the
choir. After the regular service was over the "class" or "speaking" meeting followed. The choir
leader, himself a member of the church, placed the big "fiddle," as it was called, up in the corner of
the church. When Brother Hargrave, a good zealous member, arose to speak, he turned to the big bass viol, shook
his clenched fist at it, and cried out, "Thank God, my wooden brother, you can't speak in class meeting."
Both the Methodist and Congregational churches at Black Creek are well sustained and seem in a prosperous condition.
EARLY TIMES AND HOMES. - Wm. Guilford,
an aged resident of White Creek, sends us this description of old times and old things that is worthy of preservation
and applies as well to the early settlers of New Hudson as to those of any other locality: "Seventy years
ago in this part of the county a few settlers had located along the creeks. They had a few acres cleared so as
to raise a little grain and cut hay enough for a few cows and their ox teams and some had small flocks of sheep.
What wool they could get was made into cloth to clothe their families. This, with what flax they raised and made
into cloth, had to supply their every day clothing. All had to use strict economy to get along for money was hard
to get. In this vicinity there was a heavy growth of timber of beech, maple, basswood and white ash, with some
splendid black cherry and scattering pines of size and quality not to be excelled. Upon the hillsides there was
almost a dense forest of oak and pine. But there was then no way to get much money out of timber. But few mills
were within reach, and no markets to encourage any one to make much lumber. It did not look as though a century's
work could remove the timber from this woody country. Several times in my boyhood I have stood by one of the old
log houses and listened to the howling of wolves."
TIMES SEVENTY YEARS AGO.
How things have changed in seventy years
No one can hardly tell;
But few log houses now are left
Where people used to dwell.
All the houses then were built
Of logs just as they grew.
They did not stop to peel the bark,
Or even try to hew.
A big stone chimney all must have,
Built up straight through the "peak."
Covered 'with shingles two feet long,
So they would never leak.
They had to have an iron crane,
And six or seven hooks
To hang the kettles round the fire
And accommodate the cooks.
The pots and kettles all were made
Of iron, thick and stout;
Teakettles weighing twenty pounds,
With great long iron spouts.
Old-fashioned griddles two feet wide,
(But few now can be found.)
All had a swivel in the bail
So they could turn them round.
Bake kettles, too, they always had
To bake big loaves of bread;
They set them on live coals of fire
With coals upon the head.
Six or seven kitchen chairs
Most always painted red;
And big and clumsy bedstead
With dashboard at the head.
Most every house had spinning-wheels
For spinning wool and flax.
Our mothers had to make the cloth
To clothe the numerous backs.
See bow they had to spin and weave,
And had to knit and sew;
Make all the stockings and the clothes.
How can this all be so?
To see the tools they used to use,
T'would almost make you ache
To see the swingling knives and board,
And the old flax break.
To see the warping bars they had,
Those old long spoois and "scarn,"
And see the big and little wheels
They used to spin their yarn.
Some are wishing for old times,
But ah! they do not know
The burdens that our parents bore
Some seventy years ago.
Our dear old parents, they are gone
To another world than this;
If we could see them here again
How soon we'd beg a kiss.
SOLDIERS OF 1861 to 1865.-When
the Rebellion broke out no town in the county responded to the call for soldiers more promptly than New Hudson.
During the summer of 1861 more than 50 men enlisted; mostly in the 85th N. Y. Others enlisted in other organizations
of infantry, cavalry and artillery, and there is no record of deserters from that town. The following is a list
of the men from New, Hudson who joined the army without designation of regiment or rank.
Seneca Allen, Stephen Andrews, James Lindsay, Lloyd Nichols, James Wells, Alberto
Wickwire, Henry Odell, S. W. Robertson, Wesley Lambert, Osman Briggs, William Vaughn, Harvey McElheny, George Rogers,
Benjamin Franklin, George Brown, Noel Burlingame, Edward Comfort, Orsemus Crabb, Orlando P. Case, Robert Dillon,
William Dunn, Amos Foster, Charles Himes, Fred Hall, Reuben Hurd, Leonard Hicks, Edward Hicks, Joel Hicks, Willard
Hicks, William Johnson, Willard Hill, Edward Johnson. Samuel Lindsay, David Lewis, Charles Lewis, Newell C. McElheny,
John O'Conner, Chauncey Pratt, Joseph Patterson, John Parks, Isaac Patterson, Thomas Richardson, George Rugg, William
A. Rider, Wilmott Robbins, A. K. Ricker, John W. Rugg, Bradley Swift, Washington Swift. James Smith, V. J. McElhent,
Otis Hutchins, Daniel Pasco. James R. Fisher, James McElheny, Wesley Brooks. John Alexander, Charles Brown, Edwin
Pasco, Richard Ives, Leonard Adams, George W. Lamb, Henry Miner, Cornelius W. Miner, A. J. McElheny, Edwin Trail,
Ira Thrail, John McElheny, John J. McElheny, Abiah F. DeKay, Aaron L. Gee, Simon Ikens, Gideon L. Patterson, Leonard
Pike, George W. Brooks, James Denison, Benjamin Gardner, John Nolan, Joseph C. Scott, John Strait, Milton Bennett,
D. J. Upham, Francis Wilson, Richard Wallace, James Wallace, John (?) Pasco.
OF THE TOWN'S PEOPLE.
Rodney. James R. and Samuel Bell were all born in Goffstown, N. H. The Bell family
is one of the prominent ones of that state, having furnished two governors, a chief Justice and a U. S. senator.
Rodney Bell, born in 1802, came to New Hudson about 1825, took up land and did some clearing, then returned, married
Almira Noyes, and came back with his wife, and resided here until he moved to Rushford. He died at Hornellsville
in 1892. His second wife was Mrs. L. R. Dunham. His children were Charles N. Bell, who married Jane, daughter of
Alonzo Sill, and located on the old farm. (He has been engaged in fruit-growing, and is now a resident of Black
Creek), Rosina E. (Mrs. C. H. Ives), died in 1889, Laura N. (Mrs. James Wisner), C. Adelaide (Mrs. Benjamin H.
Gardner), Frederick D. of Hornellsville, married Sarah, daughter of Robert Ross. James R. Bell was an early settler,
coming here before Rodney. He had 3 children, Alfred, Rosina and Nathaniel D. who was a prominent man here. Samuel
Bell was also a resident of the town. He had 4 children, Lafayette, Jane, Cyrus and Aldura.
Reuben Bennet, son of Cromwell Bennet, was born in Connecticut, and came to Rushford about 1812, built his log
house and moved his family there in 1816. He resided there until 1828 when he moved to New Hudson and located on
the farm his son Milton owns. He was a justice of the peace over 30 years, assessor and road commissioner. He died
Jan. 15, 1862; his wife, Nancy Miller, died in 1870. They had 6 children, 2 survive. Oliver married Clarissa Gere
in 1849 and settled on the farm he owns. They had 2 children, Elbert M. (dec.) and Elyrett. He has always been
a farmer and has been road commissioner. Milton, son of Reuben, was born July 7, 1831, in New Hudson. He owns the
old homestead and is an agriculturist.
Frank R. Case, son of Charles C.. was born in Cuba in 1849. He married Merta Alexander and has 2 children, Charles
B. and Adella B. He has been a resident of New Hudson since 1858, and has held the office of town clerk a years.
His father, Charles C. Case, son of John, was born in December, 1815, married Celestia Baldwin and settled in North
Cuba. They had 5 children, of whom Frank R. is the only one living. Charles married for his second wife Mrs. L.
Sibley. He died at Black Creek in 1891. John Case, grandfather of Frank R., was born in May, 1776, in Rhode Island.
He married Elizabeth Holmes and settled at Henrietta, Monroe county. They had 13 children.
Agile Clapp was born in Vermont, married Julia A. Cisco and settled in Angelica at an early day. In 1840 he moved
to Friendship and located on the farm now owned by his son George Clapp. He had 8 children. He died in 1884. Henry
F. Clapp, son of Agile, was born March 31, 1837, married Lucy Sear! in 1870 and settled in New Hudson where he
resides. He is a farmer. He enlisted in Co. F, 85th N. Y.. was captured at Plymouth in 1864 and was a prisoner
11 months and escaped. He was discharged in July 1865. He is a member of S. P. Bartle Post, G. A. R., of Cuba.
Mr. Clapp has 3 children : Ella, Daisy and Cecil.
Jerry A. Cooper, son of Joel and Orra (Blair) Cooper, was born May 1, 1837, in Hume. In 1857 he married Eliza,
daughter of Samuel and Clarissa (Holt) Morgan of Caneadea, and made his home in Hume. He had one son William H.
Cooper. In 1869 J. B. Cooper moved to New Hudson where he has served as assessor. He is a member of the Wesleyan
church and a Prohibitionist.
Lewis Gere, son of Joseph, was born in Massachusetts. He married Hannah Hodskin and located in Chenango Co. In
1830 he settled in New Hudson where he was a farmer. He died in 1862, his wife in 1831. They had 6 children. Their
only son, Marshall Gere, was born in 1815. He married Almira Ives in 1839 and lived in New Hudson. Their children
were Lewis H., James M. (died in the army Jan. 22, 1864), Catherine M. (dec.), Sarah E. (dec.), Joseph A., and
Williston F. Gere. who is station agent for the W. N. Y. & Penn. R. R. Marshall Gere was first engaged in running
a sawmill, then in farming. His second wife was Margery Van Etten.
En Hyde came to Rushford from Burlington, Vt., about 1830. He married Pamelia Keyes. James Hyde, the sole survivor
of their 4 children, was born April 6, 1814. He married Fannie Keyes in 1836. They had 3 children: Perry, Emma
(dec.) and Elizabeth (Mrs. James McEthaney). James Hyde held the office of superintendent of the poor and highway
commissioner. In 1836 he went to Augusta, Mich, and manufactured "calamity" ware. Later he returned to
care for his aged parents. Perry Hyde, son of James, was born June 15, 1837, in Augusta, Mich. In 1662 he married
Winnie Cameron, daughter of Peter. Their children are Charlie, James M., Horatio A. and Laura Minerva.
Albert Van Buren Hendryx is a farmer, blacksmith and carpenter. In April. 1871, he removed to New Hudson and settled
on his present farm. June 14, 1860, he married Mattie C., daughter of Ulysses H. and Jaennett (Scott) Bradley,
of Cuba. They have one son, Otis James, born October 10, 1876. Mr. Hendryx has always been a Democrat. (For Hendryx
family see Cuba.).
Henry Ives, son of Josiah, was born in Massachusetts, and came to New Hudson in 1837, from Lansing, N. Y. He married
Sarah Nichols and had 9 children. Justin F. Ives was born in 1829. He married Elinor, daughter of Harmon Gm-ton,
and settled in Belmont where he lived some years and worked at his trade of a carpenter. He was under sheriff in
1863, 1864 and 1865. In 1876 he moved to New Hudson. He was elected justice of the peace in 1893. His wife died
Oct. 29, 1894. Their children are Herbert, Dell (Mrs. Orlando Lamb). and Eugene H. Ives. who was born March 14.
1870, in Belmont, and in 1894 married Georgia A. Robb. He is assistant superintendent of the Empire City stud farm
located at New Hudson.
William M. Lane, son of John V., a soldier in the War of 1812 (whose father was in the Revolutionary War as a soldier
from beginning to end), was born in Farmersville, Feb. 11, 1841. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. D. 9th N. Y. Cav. He
was wounded at Shepardstown, Aug. 25, 1864, and was discharged in June, 1865. He married Harriet E. Hillman in
1865, and in 1868 made his home in New Hudson. They have a children: Glenn B. and Flora E. Mr. Lane is a farmer,
a member of the Baptist church, and of S. P. Bartle Post, and has been postmaster for 6 years at New Hudson. G.
B. Lane is a dealer in general merchandise at New Hudson.
Charles Lewis, son of Jason, was born in Gainesville, N. Y., April 10, 1826. He is a descendant of the Lewis family
who came to America in 1633. In 1846 he married Mary J., daughter of Jacob Holmes of New Hudson and in 1847 made
his residence here. Aug. 13, 1862, he enlisted in Co. F, 130th N. Y., and was discharged June 30, 1865. His children
are, Truman E., Caroline (Mrs. Wm. Gleason), Ida E. (Mrs. Fillmore Gleason), Frank J. and Eva M. (Mrs. Fred Willover).
Truman E. Lewis was born in New Hudson May 7, 1849. He married Victoria C., daughter of Alfred Gleason, in January,
1870, and located at Black Creek where he was engaged in dentistry for some years. He then settled on the farm
he now owns. He is largely engaged in the production of maple sugar, has a dairy of 62 cows, and deals in stock.
He is the second largest taxpayer in the town, and has been assessor 6 years. He is a member of Black Creek Tent,
K. 0. T. M., and has a daughter Clara E.
Otis Marsh, son of Joseph, was born in Rockingham, Vt., in 1801. He married Rosalia Holden of Chester, Vt. In 1832
he came with his team to New Hudson and made his lifelong home on the farm which his son Rufus owns. He died in
1874, his wife in 1872. His children were Royal, Mary, George, Rufus, Otis, Crittenden, Nelson, Dexter and Helen.
All are living. Royal Marsh was born in 1822. married Margaret Van Fleet and located in the Marsh settlement. He
has always been a farmer. He has 2 children, Sarah (Mrs. Herbert Gleason) and Jane. Joseph Marsh was the first
of the family to settle here, in the twenties. Orlin Marsh came about 1830. He was a justice of the peace.
Ephraim Perry came to Rushford in June, 1819, from Chesterfield, Mass. He was a welleducated man and a school teacher.
His wife was Hannah Jones. None of their children survive. Austin Perry, son of Ephraim, was born in Massachusetts
in 1812, married Julia, daughter of William Vaughn, in 1834, and settled on and cultivated the farm in New Hudson
now owned by his descendants. Four of his io children survive; Chester, Lurancy (Mrs. Rial Wheeler of Allegany),
Aurilla (Mrs. Delancy Wickwire) and Foster Perry, who was born Aug. 10, 1844, married Mary, daughter of James Demcey
and settled where he now resides and tills the ancestral acres.
Clarence Ricker, son of H. P. Ricker. was born in New Hudson in 1866. was educated at the public schools and Cuba
Academy. He has been supervisor of New Hudson 4 years, a member of the Republican committee 8 years (2 years chairman,
a years secretary and treasurer) 7 years on the executive committee, 3 years town clerk. He has been a partner
with his father since 1888. He is a member of Cuba Chapter F. & A. M., St. Johns Commandery of Olean, Oriana
Lodge, No. 229 of Fillmore, was a charter member of Black Creek Tent, K. O. T. M., and its first commander. He
married Mary, daughter of L. D. Stowell. H. P. Ricker was born in Waterboro, Me., in 1832. When 17 he commenced
teaching and taught 7 terms of school before leaving Maine. In 1856 he came to Cuba, kept the old Cuba Hotel for
4 years, then settled in Black Creek, opened a general store, which he, in company with Clarence, still conducts.
Mr. Ricker taught the village school a terms, He was elected supervisor 8 terms, has been postmaster at Black Creek
since i86o whenever the Republican party was in power, and held the office of justice of the peace for 28 years.
He married Sarah, daughter of Major L. J. Reynolds, and has 4 children, Eugene (a music dealer in Scranton, Pa.),
Charles (a merchant at Hume and county treasurer), Edith (Mrs. F. A. Hicks of Cuba) and Clarence.
William Simpson Jr., son of William, was born in New York City. He married Jennie, daughter of Joseph McGraw and
resided in New Hudson for some years. He was the originator of what is now known as the Empire City Stud Farm.
At first it was for the breeding of fine Jersey cattle and later he devoted it to the raising of trotting horses
and pacers. Frederick B. Simpson his son was born in 1873. He was educated at Trinity Chapel School, New York City,
and at Pennsylvania Military College, where he took the civil engineering course and was graduated in 1891. He
is now engaged in looking after the stock farm. Mr. William Simpson, Jr., has returned to New York City.
Solomon Van Fleet, a soldier of the War of 1812, and son of James, a Revolutionary soldier, was born in Orange
Co. He married Sarah Carpenter Jan. 12, 1814 and settled at Port Jervis. About 1823 he removed to Skaneateles where
he resided until 1832 when he emigrated to New Hudson and purchased 200 acres of land. Here he was assessor for
many years and a member of the Congregational church. He died July 3, 1870, his wife Feb. 27, 1852. Children, Benjamin,
Margaret (Mrs. Royal Marsh), Mary (Mrs. James Burger, dec.), Henry and James. Henry Van Fleet was born in Skaneateles,
July 5, 1826. He married Esther, daughter of William and Esther (Westfall) Van Noy in 1850 and settled in New Hudson
on the farm owned by O. Roat. In 1881 he moved to Black Creek where he died Aug. 27, 1887. He was highway commissioner
several years. His son George E. married Leah May, daughter of Bradley Alexander, in 1883 and settled at Black
Creek. They have 3 children: Rena B., Henry B. and Edith S.
Hon. H. H. Wakely, born in Groton, N. Y., in 1825, was educated in the common schools and Groton Academy, removed
to Allegany with his father in 1843. married in 1846 Miss Susan McElheny of Black Creek in New Hudson, where he
settled, and for some years engaged in farming. He was later a jobber and overseer on the Genesee Valley canal
and was superintendent of the canal in 1865, 1866, and 1867. In 1872 he was 6 months in the railway mail service
between Hornellsville and New York. During the war he was enrolling officer for New Hudson. In 1874 he was U. S.
deputy revenue collector for Allegany county. In 1874, 1875. 1876 and 1877 he was an officer of the state senate
and, in 1878 and 1879, was member of assembly, and was librarian of the assembly in 1880. In 1879 while member
of assembly he introduced the measure providing for the transfer by the state of the abandoned Genesee Valley canal
for a railroad, and, notwithstanding a strong opposition and the efforts of the state superintendent of public
works against it, he carried it through the assembly by a two-thirds vote. The measure was defeated in the senate,
but in 1880 became a law and the road was built on the old canal line. Mr. Wakely has two brothers living at Black
Creek. He has 3 children, a son, Dr. B. C. Wakely of Hornellsville, and 2 daughters, Mrs. Charles Yaw and Mrs.
Fred Williams, both of Franklinville. Mrs. Wakely died in 1889, and, in 1891, Mr. Wakely married Miss Florence
Atherton of Caneadea. Their home is now in Belfast.
Daniel E. Williams was born in Byron, N. Y., Oct. 26, 1826. He married Lolette, daughter of Gilbert and Melitiah
(Webber) Arnold, in October, 1853. They resided in Black Creek until 1855, when they moved to Kasota, Minn., where
he took up land for a home, and served as justice of the peace. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. K, 7th Minn., served
as a sergeant and was discharged in 1865, when he returned to Black Creek, where he resided until his death July
21, 1872. Mr. Williams was a teacher in Allegany county. His children were G. Judd of Urbana, Ohio, Myra L. (dec.),
Eugenia H. (Mrs. Dr. Thomas of Cuba) and Maude E. (Mrs. Ira M. Godfrey of Olean).