TOWN OF NORTHUMBERLAND.
Northumberland is one of the eastern tier of towns. It is bounded on the north
by Morean, on the east by the county line, on the south by Saratoga, and on the west by Wilton. The town is defined
as follows by the Revised Statutes:
The town, of Northumberland shall contain all that part of said county beginning in the east bounds of the county,
at an easterly continuation of the north bounds of lot number four, in the twentieth general allotment of the patent
of Kayaderosseras, and running thence westerly -in the direction of said north bounds the distance of five miles
and fifty-three rods from the west bank of Hudson’s river; then southerly one degree east to the north bounds of
the tenth allotment of said patent; then east along the same and continuation thereof to the bounds of the county;
and then northerly along the same to the place of beginning.
The surface of the town is gently rolling. A line of slate and clay bluffs from thirty to one hundred feet high
extends along the Hudson river. The principal streams are Beaver Dam creek and Snoek kill. The Champlain canal
crosses the extreme southeastern corner, and the Delaware & Hudson railroad the northwestern corner.
The town was first settled about ten years before the Revolution. Hugh Munroe came to Northumberland in 1765 and
erected a saw mill on the bank of one of the creeks in the eastern part of the town at Gansevoort. He was a noted
Tory. He fled to Canada and his property was confiscated. James Brisbin settled, also in 1765, about a mile and
a half west of Fort Miller. Archibald McNeil probably was the first to locate at what is now Northumberland village.
Fort Miller was built -in this town in 1755, under the direction of Colonel Miller. It was located upon the flat,
above the rapids, and was inclosed on three’ sides by the river. A blockhouse was built on the heights that commands
the position on the west. Fort Miller bridge was first erected by a company incorporated March 16, 1803. A new
bridge was built in 1845. John De Monts opened a store just above Fort Miller soon after the Revolution. Alexander
Bacon had the first store at Bacon Hill and Charles Carpenter at Northumberland village.
There are three small villages in Northumberland. - Gansevoort was named after Colonel Peter Gansevoort, a Revolutionary
hero who, at the close of the war, bought the estate of the Tory Hugh Munroe, discovered the irons of Munroe’s
mill and erected a saw mill and a grist mill. Bacon Hill was named after Ebenezer Bacon, who came from Connecticut
and settled there in 1794, opening the first frame tavern in town that year. The place was formerly called Fiddletown
and Pope’s Corners. Northumberland lies on the Champlain canal in the extreme southeastern part of the town.
The Reformed church of Northumberland, organized in 1820, was a branch of the pioneer church at Schuylerville.
The Reformed church of Gansevoort was formed in 1839, the M. E. church of Gansevoort in 1839.
The town of Northumberland was formed from Saratoga March 16, 1798. A part of Hadley was taken off in 1801, Moreau
in 1805, and Wilton in 1818. The supervisors of the town ‘have been:
1798—1799, Sidney Berry; 1800—1806, Jared Palmer; 1807—1810. Herman Gansevoort; 1811—1813, Isaac B. Payne; 1814,
John Metcalf; 1815, Herman Gansevoort; 1816, Daniel Hicks; 1817, James Olmstead; 1818—19, John Metcalf; 1820—22,
James Cramer; 1823—24, Nathaniel McClellan; 1825—27, Thomas Howland; 1828, James Vandewerker; 1829-32, Pasley Laing;
1833, Thomas Howland; 1834, Jesse Billings; 1835, Herman Gansevoort; 1836, Conrad Cramer; 1837. Sidney Thompson;
1838, Conrad Cramer; 1889, Thomas Howland; 1840, Hugh Thompson; 1841, Platt C. Viele; 1842-43, Joseph Baucus; 1844,
George Lansing.; 1845, Augustus H. Pearsall; 1846, Walter Doty; 1847, John R. Fake; 1848, David Purinton; 1849,
John Terhune; 1850-51, David Purinton; 1852-53, Joseph Baucus; 1854, Earl H. Whitford; 1855, J. H. Thompson; 1856,
R. F. Houseworth; 1857, Harlow Lawrence; 1838. Hiram Cramer; 1859-64, Joseph Baucus; 1865-66, Hiram Cramer; 1867-68,
Harlow Lawrence; 1869—71, Alexander B. Baucus; 1872, William Tice; 1873, George Washburn; 1874, Alexander B. Baucus;
1875, Edwin W. Town; 1876, Alexander B. Baucus; 1877, Daniel H Deyoe; 1878, John R. Vanderwerker; 1879, Alexander
B. Baucus; 1880-81, William S. Deyoe; 1882, Wilson S. Fuller; 1882, John R. Vanderwerker; 1884-85, George B. Thompson;
1886-87, Augustus G. Deyoe; 1888, Warren A. Bliven; 1889-93, Daniel Washburn; 1894-95, James H. Deyoe; 1896-98,
Henry C. Thompson.